Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6089015 times)

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #4400 on: May 16, 2016, 01:20:26 PM »
My husband, you know, was a single guy who lived alone for 6 years before we married.

When we finally lived together, a couple of my girlfriends asked how I got him to do laundry.  My funny answer is: "I own more underwear".  (Which was true, he'd run out first!)  But really...the guy knows how to run a washing machine, and has since he was 18.

Not a well thought out plan. He may have less underwear but, as a guy, he is prepared to keep wearing it longer than you

Not all of us!!!  I've known how to work a washer (and an iron) since I was 14. 

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4401 on: May 16, 2016, 01:20:52 PM »
In a conversation on a local moms FB group about meal prep and finding shortcuts and cost savings.

"You should go on house of chef James Mitchell it is a company in the Vaudreuil area that caters to the west island they make weekly healthy delicious meals and deliver to your door it costs less then cooking and shopping I use there service and am very satisfied look it up there menus change every week."

This is the company she was referring to: http://www.chefjamesmitchell.com/#!weekly-meal-menu/ts2k0

$31 for a family meal, + taxes, + delivery fee of $5-8 depending on where you live.

How on earth is $40~ per meal cheaper than cooking your own? Some people live on a different planet than the rest of us.

... I live in Quebec, and grocery prices are comparable across the province. There isn't a single thing on his menu that I couldn't make for under 15$ (to feed a family of 4, plus leftovers for at least 2 lunches). Most of the things on his list could be done for under 10$ and under half an hour if you're used to cooking.

I can understand not wanting to cook, and paying for the privilege, but to call it "money saving" is outrageous.

I know.  When I pointed out the flaw in her logic/math, her reply to me was that "we all have our opinions about quality and price".  As if I'm feeding my family Hamburger Helper every night.  SMH.

I have absolutely no problem with people using meal services.  Tell yourself whatever you want to justify the cost in your head.  But don't tell others (when they are seeking help to save money) that this is an affordable solution.

Ooooh. I HATE the whole "everyone is entitled to their opinion" thing.

All opinions are allowed to exist. True. But some opinions are based on facts, and therefore have more actual value.

I can be of the opinion that my face is green, but that doesn't meant anyone should listen to me OR that I'm right about it. Back up your opinions with facts, and then we'll talk.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4402 on: May 16, 2016, 01:27:10 PM »
In a conversation on a local moms FB group about meal prep and finding shortcuts and cost savings.

"You should go on house of chef James Mitchell it is a company in the Vaudreuil area that caters to the west island they make weekly healthy delicious meals and deliver to your door it costs less then cooking and shopping I use there service and am very satisfied look it up there menus change every week."

This is the company she was referring to: http://www.chefjamesmitchell.com/#!weekly-meal-menu/ts2k0

$31 for a family meal, + taxes, + delivery fee of $5-8 depending on where you live.

How on earth is $40~ per meal cheaper than cooking your own? Some people live on a different planet than the rest of us.

... I live in Quebec, and grocery prices are comparable across the province. There isn't a single thing on his menu that I couldn't make for under 15$ (to feed a family of 4, plus leftovers for at least 2 lunches). Most of the things on his list could be done for under 10$ and under half an hour if you're used to cooking.

I can understand not wanting to cook, and paying for the privilege, but to call it "money saving" is outrageous.

I know.  When I pointed out the flaw in her logic/math, her reply to me was that "we all have our opinions about quality and price".  As if I'm feeding my family Hamburger Helper every night.  SMH.

I have absolutely no problem with people using meal services.  Tell yourself whatever you want to justify the cost in your head.  But don't tell others (when they are seeking help to save money) that this is an affordable solution.

Ooooh. I HATE the whole "everyone is entitled to their opinion" thing.

All opinions are allowed to exist. True. But some opinions are based on facts, and therefore have more actual value.

I can be of the opinion that my face is green, but that doesn't meant anyone should listen to me OR that I'm right about it. Back up your opinions with facts, and then we'll talk.
it costs less then cooking and shopping
This isn't an opinion, it is either true or not. 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4403 on: May 16, 2016, 01:37:03 PM »

Yeah, that's crazy.

My Mom and Dad eat out at the country club about 3 nights a week. She told me that their member prices are "so low" it would be impossible to eat this cheaply at home.  Even discounted, it's $10 a person, plushey get wine.  Um, no- not seeing the "impossible" here...

How much are they paying for the privilege of dining at the country club? I wonder how much the meals would cost per person if they were to include these fees into it. Heck I would amortize their joining fees as well into the fold. It's possible that it still might be very affordable if it includes wine and a good meal, but I highly doubt it, but then again I've read that many country clubs have opened their doors to non-members at affordable prices because of declining membership and wanting to stay viable.
My sister's club has a minimum amount that they must spend monthly for food at the club (does not include drinks).  So at least once a month, I get the phone call that we have to go out to eat at the club or else the money goes down the drain.  I just don't understand the attraction of golf, so I'll never understand wanting to belong to the club.  Plus, they are very snobby (not my sister, but many of the other people)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4404 on: May 16, 2016, 02:33:31 PM »
I just don't understand the attraction of golf, so I'll never understand wanting to belong to the club.  Plus, they are very snobby (not my sister, but many of the other people)

You have to play a lot of golf for joining a club to even remotely make sense. I read this article to try and make sense of it but found it sounded even worse than I had imagined:
http://www.golfdigest.com/story/privateclubs_avery
As a member you become responsible for [the club's debt], and liable for lump payments if the board decides to wipe out the balance.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4405 on: May 16, 2016, 02:58:59 PM »

Yeah, that's crazy.

My Mom and Dad eat out at the country club about 3 nights a week. She told me that their member prices are "so low" it would be impossible to eat this cheaply at home.  Even discounted, it's $10 a person, plushey get wine.  Um, no- not seeing the "impossible" here...

How much are they paying for the privilege of dining at the country club? I wonder how much the meals would cost per person if they were to include these fees into it. Heck I would amortize their joining fees as well into the fold. It's possible that it still might be very affordable if it includes wine and a good meal, but I highly doubt it, but then again I've read that many country clubs have opened their doors to non-members at affordable prices because of declining membership and wanting to stay viable.
My sister's club has a minimum amount that they must spend monthly for food at the club (does not include drinks).  So at least once a month, I get the phone call that we have to go out to eat at the club or else the money goes down the drain.  I just don't understand the attraction of golf, so I'll never understand wanting to belong to the club.  Plus, they are very snobby (not my sister, but many of the other people)
he'll
A buddy of mine has a few friends that belong to clubs like the one your sister goes to and he loves it as he'll get taken out to eat several times a year because of minimum spending requirements. He'll of course pinch in or treat them in return as he's not a moocher, but it's a pretty sweet arrangement for him. I kinda think of it as an ancillary benefit, like having a friend that owns a boat or one that owns a cabin that he'll invite you to use.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4406 on: May 16, 2016, 04:19:00 PM »
My husband, you know, was a single guy who lived alone for 6 years before we married.

When we finally lived together, a couple of my girlfriends asked how I got him to do laundry.  My funny answer is: "I own more underwear".  (Which was true, he'd run out first!)  But really...the guy knows how to run a washing machine, and has since he was 18.

Not a well thought out plan. He may have less underwear but, as a guy, he is prepared to keep wearing it longer than you

Not all of us!!!  I've known how to work a washer (and an iron) since I was 14.
Yeah, not him either.  I mean, I figured out when we were dating that if I left my dirty clothing in his apartment, he'd wash them.  (He had a WD, I had to use a laundromat).

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #4407 on: May 19, 2016, 12:48:53 PM »
I also clean up and it is not particularly hard.  It also helps ensure things are really clean and not just "rub a dirty rag on the toilet then on the sink" clean.

That's the main reason I won't hire cleaning people (cost being #2). I actually tried it at one point, but the work didn't even rise to the level of halfassed.

The last time, I specifically asked that they mop the kitchen floor because it was a mess. They swept half of it onto the other half, and just left the pile of crumbs there. No mopping at all. I caught them on the way to the car and they tried to tell me that I should just sweep up the last bit myself - as if I was paying them so that I could sweep and mop my own floors.

Of course the same thing applies to a lot of home repairs - I've seen some spectacularly halfassed work from contractors, even when they know someone is going to check it.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4408 on: May 19, 2016, 01:37:24 PM »
I also clean up and it is not particularly hard.  It also helps ensure things are really clean and not just "rub a dirty rag on the toilet then on the sink" clean.

That's the main reason I won't hire cleaning people (cost being #2). I actually tried it at one point, but the work didn't even rise to the level of halfassed.

The last time, I specifically asked that they mop the kitchen floor because it was a mess. They swept half of it onto the other half, and just left the pile of crumbs there. No mopping at all. I caught them on the way to the car and they tried to tell me that I should just sweep up the last bit myself - as if I was paying them so that I could sweep and mop my own floors.

Of course the same thing applies to a lot of home repairs - I've seen some spectacularly halfassed work from contractors, even when they know someone is going to check it.

Huh. I've had the complete opposite experience with cleaners (not with a cleaning service. The service half-assed it. The individually-hired cleaners did a GREAT job).

I hired someone for the first time in 3 years, and she came for the first time last week. I keep turning around intending to get to something  and finding she got to it before I did. Or looking at a particularly stubborn stain/burnt-on thing on the oven/etc and finding that she dealt with it, and I have no idea how, I've been scrubbing it with cleaners for 6 months...

And, frankly: to do a job that's 70% as good as what she does takes me twice the time. This woman is efficient and knows what she's doing.

11ducks

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4409 on: May 22, 2016, 06:23:13 AM »
So my creepy needy FB friend from earlier in the thread (recap, go fund me for Christmas because she cheated on her DH and he booted her, and the Christmas list consisted of mulitple pages of stuff for her like 100 hair crap, then 3 pages of name brand stuff for her kids, followed by a page of stuff for her pets) is back at it again.

Two weeks ago, boyfriend kicked her to the curb (again this is like the third or fourth time) begging for help to move her stuff, people come move her, last week she moves back in and sets up a Go Fund me for rent of 950 for her and the BF. 

So, can't make this shit up, she just comments on a picture of a baby fox that someone found and goes "Can I come pick it up?   No joke, I was just looking to buy one online!!!!!"  She already has 5 cats and another dog, she was "forced" to re home her other two dogs earlier in the thread because her ex didn't want them and she couldn't take them due to the landlord.  Yet she somehow thinks she can hide a FOX (which is illegal to own in the state, and she said she knew that when someone pointed it out on the thread) I seriously feel bad for that landlord, they have no idea what they've gotten themselves into.
Well, if the fox ate the cats it could save her money overall?

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4410 on: May 24, 2016, 09:56:07 AM »
So my creepy needy FB friend from earlier in the thread (recap, go fund me for Christmas because she cheated on her DH and he booted her, and the Christmas list consisted of mulitple pages of stuff for her like 100 hair crap, then 3 pages of name brand stuff for her kids, followed by a page of stuff for her pets) is back at it again.

Two weeks ago, boyfriend kicked her to the curb (again this is like the third or fourth time) begging for help to move her stuff, people come move her, last week she moves back in and sets up a Go Fund me for rent of 950 for her and the BF. 

So, can't make this shit up, she just comments on a picture of a baby fox that someone found and goes "Can I come pick it up?   No joke, I was just looking to buy one online!!!!!"  She already has 5 cats and another dog, she was "forced" to re home her other two dogs earlier in the thread because her ex didn't want them and she couldn't take them due to the landlord.  Yet she somehow thinks she can hide a FOX (which is illegal to own in the state, and she said she knew that when someone pointed it out on the thread) I seriously feel bad for that landlord, they have no idea what they've gotten themselves into.
Well, if the fox ate the cats it could save her money overall?

Yea up until the state smacks her with a few K fine.  She literally can't come up with money for rent, her car is being repo'd (it was around christmas, no clue if it actually went through) but she wants to buy a FOX online, and keeps...adopting....pets.  She's also SUPREMELY pissed that the ex husband isn't paying her any money and thinks the military should be making him.  He has custody of the kids and she didn't bother to get a lawyer.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4411 on: May 24, 2016, 09:57:20 AM »
This woman sounds rather sick. Are you sure there isn't a mental problem going on?

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4412 on: May 24, 2016, 10:17:42 AM »
This woman sounds rather sick. Are you sure there isn't a mental problem going on?

She's depressive and on meds at the moment, which I am not really shocked about given the situation.   She's had impulse control issues for a while, her family forced her to a doctor after she racked up 65k in credit card debt in ONE summer during college.  Docs did tests and stuff and pretty much said she wasn't chemically imbalanced, we were still somewhat close at that time.  Things were fine for years while she was married, she was ALWAYS a spender and they were always broke as a result but nothing like what's been going on this past year. 

She fell for her husbands good friend, and literally upped and left her family 2 months after the ex husband bought her "the house of her dreams".  Now the two of them pretty much feed off each others negative emotions.  He doesn't work and is verbally abusive, she went from affording (for the most part) her expensive lifestyle to being dead broke and actually having to get more than a 1 day a week job, with no real job skills.  She honestly thought she could move in with the boyfriend and have the ex continue to fund her and has gotten a VERY rude awakening and welcome into actual adulthood, one where her parents aren't bailing her out and the husband has rightfully said go F yourself.   

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #4413 on: May 24, 2016, 10:19:32 AM »

She's depressive and on meds at the moment, which I am not really shocked about given the situation.   She's had impulse control issues for a while, her family forced her to a doctor after she racked up 65k in credit card debt in ONE summer during college.  Docs did tests and stuff and pretty much said she wasn't chemically imbalanced, we were still somewhat close at that time.  Things were fine for years while she was married, she was ALWAYS a spender and they were always broke as a result but nothing like what's been going on this past year. 

She fell for her husbands good friend, and literally upped and left her family 2 months after the ex husband bought her "the house of her dreams".  Now the two of them pretty much feed off each others negative emotions.  He doesn't work and is verbally abusive, she went from affording (for the most part) her expensive lifestyle to being dead broke and actually having to get more than a 1 day a week job, with no real job skills.  She honestly thought she could move in with the boyfriend and have the ex continue to fund her and has gotten a VERY rude awakening and welcome into actual adulthood, one where her parents aren't bailing her out and the husband has rightfully said go F yourself.   

I've seen other humans with this same delusion. What do you think causes it?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4414 on: May 24, 2016, 12:13:25 PM »

The fact that sometimes divorce settlements actually are very generous.  But that's usually in the case of fabulous wealth, where the settlement involves merely ridiculous wealth

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4415 on: May 24, 2016, 12:26:38 PM »

The fact that sometimes divorce settlements actually are very generous.  But that's usually in the case of fabulous wealth, where the settlement involves merely ridiculous wealth
Today I Learned:  fabulous is mathematically greater than ridiculous

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4416 on: May 24, 2016, 12:31:24 PM »
He could have said:
But that's usually in the case of ridiculous wealth, where the settlement involves merely fabulous wealth

And it would have made plenty of sense :)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4417 on: May 24, 2016, 12:43:47 PM »
He could have said:
But that's usually in the case of ridiculous wealth, where the settlement involves merely fabulous wealth

So which way is it?  Is fabulous more than ridiculous, or is it the other way around?

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4418 on: May 24, 2016, 01:46:28 PM »
He could have said:

So which way is it?  Is fabulous more than ridiculous, or is it the other way around?
As an engineer, I hate to say it, but everything can't be represented by math.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4419 on: May 24, 2016, 01:54:32 PM »
fabulous has a gematria value of 582
ridiculous has a gematria value of 786

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4420 on: May 24, 2016, 03:03:32 PM »
And if you number the alphabet from 1 to 26 and sum the appropriate numbers for the letters you get:
fabulous           =     97
ridiculous         =   131
Thus, ridiculous is greater than fabulous by this system as well.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4421 on: May 25, 2016, 01:33:49 AM »
But ridiculous is merely laughable whereas fabulous is unbelievable and therefore bigger.

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #4422 on: May 25, 2016, 05:21:02 AM »
And if you number the alphabet from 1 to 26 and sum the appropriate numbers for the letters you get:
fabulous           =     97
ridiculous         =   131
Thus, ridiculous is greater than fabulous by this system as well.
Sometimes less is more.

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #4423 on: May 25, 2016, 09:28:01 AM »
Sometimes less is more.

No, 55 != 51

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4424 on: May 25, 2016, 09:41:41 AM »

Huh. I've had the complete opposite experience with cleaners (not with a cleaning service. The service half-assed it. The individually-hired cleaners did a GREAT job).

I hired someone for the first time in 3 years, and she came for the first time last week. I keep turning around intending to get to something  and finding she got to it before I did. Or looking at a particularly stubborn stain/burnt-on thing on the oven/etc and finding that she dealt with it, and I have no idea how, I've been scrubbing it with cleaners for 6 months...

And, frankly: to do a job that's 70% as good as what she does takes me twice the time. This woman is efficient and knows what she's doing.
I've found the same.  We talked about getting a cleaner for years.  My husband was hesitant.  So any friend who had one, I asked if they liked them.

I got "Yeah, but she's  got a long waiting list" and "she'd great but she doesn't do deep cleaning."  Which: no.  I want deep cleaning!

Eventually got a "she's great!"  Now, it's actually a service - an individual women who hires other women.  Bonded, insured, but small.  She has a "list" they follow.  They scrub out the microwave, the fridge, the toaster oven.  They clean the seal on the fridge.  Seriously would take me forever to do all that.

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #4425 on: May 25, 2016, 12:02:06 PM »
But ridiculous is merely laughable whereas fabulous is unbelievable and therefore bigger.

I would never conflate fabulous with unbelievable.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4426 on: May 25, 2016, 12:55:51 PM »

I've found the same.  We talked about getting a cleaner for years.  My husband was hesitant.  So any friend who had one, I asked if they liked them.

I got "Yeah, but she's  got a long waiting list" and "she'd great but she doesn't do deep cleaning."  Which: no.  I want deep cleaning!

Eventually got a "she's great!"  Now, it's actually a service - an individual women who hires other women.  Bonded, insured, but small.  She has a "list" they follow.  They scrub out the microwave, the fridge, the toaster oven.  They clean the seal on the fridge.  Seriously would take me forever to do all that.

Eh, I guess it doesn't take me long cause I'm a clean as you go type of guy.  If I use the microwave and make a mess (rare since I cover everything) I wipe it up immediately before it needs "scrubbing".  While I have the sponge in my hand, the fridge seal takes an extra 5 seconds. 

That said, if I found someone who was both cheap and good, I'm not Morally opposed to hiring a cleaner.  If I lived in a lower cost area (for example a different country where I could get hours of work for $10/mo) I might do it-- although I really don't like people touching my stuff.

Ever since I got a dog I've been vacuuming way more-- like 4x as often.  But it's decent cardiovascular exercise, so I don't gain much paying someone to do it

But I'm in a high cost of living area so I don't think I will ever get my money's worth without somehow breaking the law (under the table, less than minimum wage which is $10/hr)

Serious question though, what kind of crazy messes are you making that require so much effort to clean?  Is it a kid thing?  If I had a baby throwin food everywhere I'd be more inclined to hire someone so I could focus on the baby
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 12:58:06 PM by dragoncar »

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4427 on: May 25, 2016, 01:02:10 PM »

Eh, I guess it doesn't take me long cause I'm a clean as you go type of guy.  If I use the microwave and make a mess (rare since I cover everything) I wipe it up immediately before it needs "scrubbing".  While I have the sponge in my hand, the fridge seal takes an extra 5 seconds. 

That said, if I found someone who was both cheap and good, I'm not Morally opposed to hiring a cleaner.  If I lived in a lower cost area (for example a different country where I could get hours of work for $10/mo) I might do it-- although I really don't like people touching my stuff.

Ever since I got a dog I've been vacuuming way more-- like 4x as often.  But it's decent cardiovascular exercise, so I don't gain much paying someone to do it

But I'm in a high cost of living area so I don't think I will ever get my money's worth without somehow breaking the law (under the table, less than minimum wage which is $10/hr)

Serious question though, what kind of crazy messes are you making that require so much effort to clean?  Is it a kid thing?  If I had a baby throwin food everywhere I'd be more inclined to hire someone so I could focus on the baby

I don't have a cleaning person (I think I may get one soon, especially with a kid on the way), but I think a lot of the reason I want one has to do with my dog and the fact that I live in Manhattan.  I feel like i'm constantly bringing in grime that grosses me out (in a way dirt from the backyard didn't) and know I'm exposed to a crazy number of pathogens.  Honestly, my husband's cooking habits (and god bless him for cooking) is part of it.  When I get home at one am, there is little to no chance I am starting to scrub a caked-on stove, or waking up my husband to do it.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4428 on: May 25, 2016, 01:09:10 PM »

It's shocking but I recently learned this. My roommate does this and I have followed suit and wow does my kitchen and living room look so much better and it isn't all that much work. It takes less than a minute to wash up dishes after a meal, and seconds to wipe down something if it has spilled. Now I just need to do things like clean the floor every so often.

What type of dog?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4429 on: May 25, 2016, 01:25:14 PM »

It's shocking but I recently learned this. My roommate does this and I have followed suit and wow does my kitchen and living room look so much better and it isn't all that much work. It takes less than a minute to wash up dishes after a meal, and seconds to wipe down something if it has spilled. Now I just need to do things like clean the floor every so often.

What type of dog?

Some kind of lab.  He was recently shedding his undercoat so hopefully it gets better until fall

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4430 on: May 25, 2016, 01:28:23 PM »

What type of dog?

Some kind of lab.  He was recently shedding his undercoat so hopefully it gets better until fall

I'm guessing he's a rescue? I love labs, such amazing creatures, so loyal and friendly.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4431 on: May 25, 2016, 02:24:03 PM »

Yup, 2 kids.  Not surprisingly, first hired cleaning person when older kid was 1 year old. 

Younger is still a toddler.  Food throwing (dropping) is an issue.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4432 on: May 25, 2016, 06:45:02 PM »

What type of dog?

I'm guessing he's a rescue? I love labs, such amazing creatures, so loyal and friendly.

Yep, tell me what you think.  here he is helping out with neighborhood trash.  The shelter guessed labrador/border collie but people at the dog park throw out other guesses like some kind of hound (he definitely follows his nose)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:48:17 PM by dragoncar »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4433 on: May 25, 2016, 06:49:45 PM »

What type of dog?

Yep, tell me what you think.  here he is helping out with neighborhood trash

That right there is a nonspecific North American mutt dog. Best kind, my own babies excepted, of course.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4434 on: May 25, 2016, 08:45:15 PM »

What type of dog?

Yep, tell me what you think.  here he is helping out with neighborhood trash.  The shelter guessed labrador/border collie but people at the dog park throw out other guesses like some kind of hound (he definitely follows his nose)

ADORABLE! Thanks for adopting. I think it is the white markings that made them think border collie. But I don't think this is a mutt, as suggested by Rural. The black lab is strong in that one!
Generic mutts tend to be brown, upright ears (ends might droop), and curly tail (or GBD as a friend calls them = generic brown dog).

Again, ADORABLE!

Yeah I concur, I think he's a black lab. Looks absolutely a delight to play with. Does he tackle you when you come home?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4435 on: May 25, 2016, 10:37:59 PM »

What type of dog?

ADORABLE! Thanks for adopting. I think it is the white markings that made them think border collie. But I don't think this is a mutt, as suggested by Rural. The black lab is strong in that one!
Generic mutts tend to be brown, upright ears (ends might droop), and curly tail (or GBD as a friend calls them = generic brown dog).

Again, ADORABLE!

Yeah I concur, I think he's a black lab. Looks absolutely a delight to play with. Does he tackle you when you come home?

Ok, for all you animal lovers out there, here's a video of him playing.  I'm trying to train him not to tackle anyone because he's 65 pounds now and still growing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_VQ4S-KAyw

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4436 on: May 25, 2016, 11:18:39 PM »
Ok, for all you animal lovers out there, here's a video of him playing.  I'm trying to train him not to tackle anyone because he's 65 pounds now and still growing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_VQ4S-KAyw

Love it!  He's got so much energy and spring in his step!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4437 on: May 26, 2016, 12:20:09 AM »

What type of dog?

Again, ADORABLE!

Huh. Perhaps I define mutt differently - and I very much believe it's a term of endearment by the way. But i think of "mutt" as a dog of mixed breeds? Sometimes you can tell one or more of the probable breeds, sometimes not.

I could see some hound in the general shape, by the way, but his coloring's very different. I think he's too big to have much border collie. Which, of the suggestions, leaves lab.

Regardless, he is himself, and that is clearly a fine thing to be.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #4438 on: May 26, 2016, 07:16:40 AM »
Gainfully employed professional friend: My daughter, who's all excited about her last day of school today, asked me, "Is today your last day of work?"
 I just had to laugh or I would cry. 😂

Me: Doktor prescribez moar #mmm.

Friend: *likes comment*

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4439 on: May 26, 2016, 09:26:46 AM »
I agree with "mutt" being mixed breeds, often unknown mixed breeds (as opposed to a "designer dog" which is what used to be called a mutt, but is now sold for a freaking fortune- it's mixed breeds, but they are known and intentional- with names like "cockapoo" and "labradoodle")

My dog is a shelter mutt. She's some sort of terrier, colored like a jack russel but too large to be one- but has a grayhound's gate when she runs.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4440 on: May 26, 2016, 09:35:41 AM »
I agree with "mutt" being mixed breeds, often unknown mixed breeds (as opposed to a "designer dog" which is what used to be called a mutt, but is now sold for a freaking fortune- it's mixed breeds, but they are known and intentional- with names like "cockapoo" and "labradoodle")[/url]

People always ask me what kind my dog is, and I always tell them "well, when I was a kid, we called him a mutt.  Now they call him a Yorkiepoo."  They also think he's a puppy, he's about 7.5 years old in this pic (just having been picked up from knee surgery, note his left knee).

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:37:55 AM by Chris22 »

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #4441 on: May 26, 2016, 09:57:52 AM »
I agree with "mutt" being mixed breeds, often unknown mixed breeds (as opposed to a "designer dog" which is what used to be called a mutt, but is now sold for a freaking fortune- it's mixed breeds, but they are known and intentional- with names like "cockapoo" and "labradoodle")[/url]

People always ask me what kind my dog is, and I always tell them "well, when I was a kid, we called him a mutt.  Now they call him a Yorkiepoo."  They also think he's a puppy, he's about 7.5 years old in this pic (just having been picked up from knee surgery, note his left knee).

We also have a shelter mutt/yorkiepoo and people think he's a puppy all the time.  He's 5 in this pic.

Also want to add I think it's funny that Overheard on FB and Work are both on dog tangents right now.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:59:40 AM by druth »

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4442 on: May 26, 2016, 10:06:47 AM »
Also want to add I think it's funny that Overheard on FB and Work are both on dog tangents right now.

Because dogs are awesome.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #4443 on: May 26, 2016, 10:17:29 AM »
Can someone just a make a dog thread so we can just share pictures of our awesome dogs? Because that would be great.

To the original dog poster: I agree with lab, but maybe also some Walker Hound? I had a Walker Hound up until a few years ago when she passed away at an old age. Similar white markings, very sweet and loving dog. Slept outside in the warm spring and summer and really enjoyed barking at deer at 2 AM -__- Still a stellar dog though. Yours is a cutie regardless!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #4444 on: May 26, 2016, 10:18:52 AM »

*snip*

Best thing for microwaves:
Take the sponge you use for dishes.  Make sure it is still soapy and damp.  Microwave it for one minute.  Open the microwave door, and wait until the sponge is cool enough to touch (you can burn yourself!  Be careful!).  Now, use the sponge to wipe down the inside of the microwave, starting at the top/ceiling, then walls, then bottom.  Wash the turntable plate under hot water.  The steam from the wet sponge softens anything caked onto the inside of the microwave, so it is really easy to wipe down.  It takes just a few minutes, and you are done!

*snip*

What a cutie!  He looks SO similar to the sweetheart pointer-mix mutt dog my neighbors had when I was growing up.  See up "pointer mix" on Google, so maybe yours is primarily lab and pointer?  (But he is taking that towel down!)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4445 on: May 26, 2016, 10:19:17 AM »
Created a dog thread.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4446 on: May 26, 2016, 10:01:20 PM »
Created a dog thread.
The internet is supposed to be about cats.  Cat thread.

Dogs are fine right here, though.   Where I can admire them accidentally without letting my cat know.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4447 on: May 26, 2016, 10:11:41 PM »
Shared by one of my friends...

Text, in case image hotlink breaks:
Thank you, student loans, for helping me get through college.

I don't think I can ever repay you.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4448 on: May 26, 2016, 11:09:20 PM »
Created a dog thread.
The internet is supposed to be about cats.  Cat thread.

Dogs are fine right here, though.   Where I can admire them accidentally without letting my cat know.

Fear not.  There is also a mustachian cat thread:  http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/cat-thread-)/

Edit:  I have to add that I find the DiCaprio meme that RWD posted here to be pretty hilarious.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 11:11:24 PM by LeRainDrop »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4449 on: May 27, 2016, 09:41:57 AM »
Edit:  I have to add that I find the DiCaprio meme that RWD posted here to be pretty hilarious.

It is actually rather clever. And there were Facebook commenters that were talking about how fast they had paid off their student loans, so it wasn't all antimustachian.