Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082038 times)

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #800 on: September 22, 2014, 10:26:35 AM »
Of course, she's also one of those people who's always playing whatever the newest dumb facebook game is, so maybe she played a few too many and it fried her brain....

Quickest way to be unfriended by me is to invite me to one of those games. Can't bite the bullet on Grandma though; she's just too sweet. But seriously, I hate candy crush and I don't want to help feed your addiction.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #801 on: September 22, 2014, 02:34:25 PM »
Of course, she's also one of those people who's always playing whatever the newest dumb facebook game is, so maybe she played a few too many and it fried her brain....

Quickest way to be unfriended by me is to invite me to one of those games. Can't bite the bullet on Grandma though; she's just too sweet. But seriously, I hate candy crush and I don't want to help feed your addiction.

I know, right?!? If I'm gonna burn time on the internet there's about a million other ways I'd rather do it.

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #802 on: September 23, 2014, 08:37:32 PM »
Two positive ones, just to break things up (and because there's no "anti-anti" Facebook thread):

Within the last hour, from two of my oldest friends:

#1 - "We just cancelled cable..." followed by lot's of "way to go, here are some cheap alternatives" comments

#2 - "Welp! as of October 10th, I'll be leaving [Old Job] for my new role as an Inside Sales Executive with [New Job]. I leave behind a 42 mile drive in exchange for a 3.7 mile one. BOOYAH." - I of course gave him a hard time for even thinking of DRIVING a mere four miles to work, then congratulated him on a major quality-of-life improvement.

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #803 on: September 24, 2014, 12:22:25 PM »
Yesterday someone I know got in their car and the oil light was on and wouldn't turn off by adding more oil.     It's 14 years old.  likely the oil pump but could easily have been a bad sensor or wiring to it.

They also had to get the tie rods done on the car and that was going to be $140.   

This was bad timing as they're getting ready to go on a roadtrip vacation and the truck they own also isn't running well.

So the first thing they did was cancel the appointment to get the tierods replaced "saving" $140.   She then spent that on a different weekend getaway which was a great deal....

Then she was research renting a car to go on this other vacation but that would be $300-$400.

I had spent 10 minutes researching and figured  I could replace the oil pump in a few hours for less then $300.  so under $500 and the cars back on the road. paying someone to do the work should have been under $1000

Today I see she bought a brand new car.   

Not that long ago she was complaining about not having $2 to pay for a coffee  and I know that she has 2 kids in daycare because she needs to work even though after paying for daycare she only brings home $200-$300 a month.  They also have a huge house that they got with a 0% down interest only 40 year loan  back when that was legal.   When they renewed the first time rates were even lower but they had to do a lot of juggling and sell a few toys to qualify for renewal to a 35 year.     The other family I write about is bad with money and will likely lose a lot but these guys are going to leave a smoking crater in the ground when their finances catch up to them.

Daniel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #804 on: September 24, 2014, 01:12:42 PM »
The last "good thing I saw" post inspired me.

I opened my facebook feed and saw "Friend 1 has ended their relationship." As I know this guy pretty well I felt bad for him. Coming out of relationships can be a tough time. Then I saw the name of the ex: Sallie Mae. Nice!

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #805 on: September 24, 2014, 01:44:50 PM »
The last "good thing I saw" post inspired me.

I opened my facebook feed and saw "Friend 1 has ended their relationship." As I know this guy pretty well I felt bad for him. Coming out of relationships can be a tough time. Then I saw the name of the ex: Sallie Mae. Nice!

Well played!

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #806 on: September 24, 2014, 01:48:41 PM »
"Anyone have any discounts for hotels they want to share or someone that is overdue for a good deed and wants to pay, please help! I am going on a trip next week for my bday and need some help due to the recent unemployment"

WTF?!

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #807 on: September 24, 2014, 03:03:26 PM »
Yesterday someone I know got in their car and the oil light was on and wouldn't turn off by adding more oil.     It's 14 years old.  likely the oil pump but could easily have been a bad sensor or wiring to it.

. . .

Today I see she bought a brand new car.   

Not that long ago she was complaining about not having $2 to pay for a coffee  and I know that she has 2 kids in daycare because she needs to work even though after paying for daycare she only brings home $200-$300 a month. 

What do you think her new car payment is? I think it's about $300 a month.

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #808 on: September 24, 2014, 03:10:09 PM »
What do you think her new car payment is? I think it's about $300 a month.

Easy enough to work out thanks to the manufactures build and price.   

so the car works out to $23,600.05.     and financed over 84 months at 0% the payment is $280.95/month 
If they got 2k for the trade in then it's $250/month.   

so yup you win

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #809 on: September 24, 2014, 08:31:03 PM »
craigslist, not facebook:  http://wilmington.craigslist.org/bab/4674446133.html

Lady is selling a brand-new $250 breastpump, never opened.  She says she bought 3, one for every floor of her house, then adds, "I didn't need 3."

No shit.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #810 on: September 24, 2014, 10:47:37 PM »

Lady is selling a brand-new $250 breastpump, never opened.  She says she bought 3, one for every floor of her house, then adds, "I didn't need 3."

No shit.

I would like to go to monkey junction one day...

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #811 on: September 25, 2014, 11:16:21 AM »

No shit.

You can get one for free now because of recent changes in health care law. We were guilty of having one and "buying" a 2nd one after the law came into effect. But our first one was losing suction power. I don't really feel guilty about it. We weren't buying one for each floor though. Unbelievable.

jda1984

• Stubble
« Reply #812 on: September 25, 2014, 02:01:59 PM »

No shit.

You can get one for free now because of recent changes in health care law. We were guilty of having one and "buying" a 2nd one after the law came into effect. But our first one was losing suction power. I don't really feel guilty about it. We weren't buying one for each floor though. Unbelievable.

Eyepod, please explain a bit more regarding the recent health care law and breast pumps.  We're expecting in January and the pump we bought for our first isn't performing like it should.  If we can get one covered by insurance that would be great!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #813 on: September 25, 2014, 02:19:08 PM »

No shit.

Don't you need one for each breast though?

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #814 on: September 25, 2014, 02:24:24 PM »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #815 on: September 25, 2014, 03:18:36 PM »

No shit.

Eyepod, please explain a bit more regarding the recent health care law and breast pumps.  We're expecting in January and the pump we bought for our first isn't performing like it should.  If we can get one covered by insurance that would be great!

Call your health insurance to discuss it, but eyepod is correct.  In short though, I understand one "catch" is that you may not be able to buy it before delivery (when you'd prefer to line things up for the baby) and have your plan pay.  You may need to buy after delivery.

Lorin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #816 on: September 25, 2014, 07:19:38 PM »

No shit.

Call your health insurance to discuss it, but eyepod is correct.  In short though, I understand one "catch" is that you may not be able to buy it before delivery (when you'd prefer to line things up for the baby) and have your plan pay.  You may need to buy after delivery.

Also, the covered pump may not be what you want. The free one I got was just a little hand pump & I had to pay (with pre-tax FSA dollars, at least) for the double electronic pump I use at work.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #817 on: September 25, 2014, 10:24:50 PM »
Yeah, i can't order mine till after delivery. No idea what kind they'll pay for.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #818 on: September 26, 2014, 06:39:37 AM »

No shit.

Also, the covered pump may not be what you want. The free one I got was just a little hand pump & I had to pay (with pre-tax FSA dollars, at least) for the double electronic pump I use at work.

Must depend on what type of insurance you have...my wife recently got a double electronic pump fully covered by insurance.  I believe she was able to file the paperwork 1 week before our son was due as there was a UPS box on our front porch when we got home from the hospital.

Long story short, call your insurance company and find out their policies.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #819 on: September 26, 2014, 06:45:53 AM »

No shit.

This is only one brand, but http://www.ameda.com/breastfeeding-products/breast-pump-coverage/affordable-care-act. I agree with the others that it's not the top of the line pumps, but the one we got worked well enough and was an improvement. I think my wife just called our insurance provider to figure it out. They had a list that you could order from and it was mailed to our house.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #820 on: September 26, 2014, 07:31:43 AM »
No boobs this time, but it was actually on Facebook.  I took a screenshot but am not sure how to color over names & profile pics, so I'll just describe it.

Photo of a house.  Caption says, "There are 18,600,000 vacant homes in the United States.  That's enough for every homeless person to have 6."  It's from a site called "The Anti-Media," and they've added, "Consumption-based economy...side effects."

Person who shared it adds, "I don't like this."

Friend adds, "I don't either, not one thing about it that I like. The scary part...most of us are from 1 to 4 paychecks away from finding ourselves in that situation! AND, most of us work long hard hours to keep the wolves at bay."

I replied.  I then edited my reply.  All I said in the end was, "...and how many of these houses are fit to live in - up to code, etc.?  How do these homeless people pay rent, utilities, etc., and keep from becoming homeless again?"  Originally I had also said, "The 'consumption-based economy might be a factor in having so many unused houses, but it's also the root cause of so many people being a paycheck away from homelessness.  Teaching basic financial principles would go a lot further towards reducing the homeless population than... what is the solution being proposed here?  I don't see one.  Giving away houses?  Regardless, teach a man to fish..."

I deleted the second part because this is family and I don't want to start shit.  However, I have been homeless before, though only for a short time (a couple of months), so I do think I'm qualified to weigh in.  And I fully admit that, though there were some difficult circumstances involved, being in that situation was 100% my fault and preventable, had I been less stupid.  Doesn't mean anyone owes me a house.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #821 on: September 26, 2014, 08:20:35 AM »
And how many of those houses are in places that people actually want to live?  I live in a county that has about a 10% vacant house rate.  Only 90% of the houses that exist are actually lived in!  And, from what I know of the area, most of the vacant houses are in one city.  Nobody wants to live there, and they certainly don't want their kids going to school there!

And this is no inner city situation, but a fairly rural county that got hit hard when the steel industry went out.  Many places around here have recovered, but not here.

Edited for horrible grammar.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 02:15:08 PM by Zaga »

Lkxe

• Stubble
« Reply #822 on: September 26, 2014, 08:45:19 AM »
Apparently, the house thing works though not in a vacuum other services have to be provided as well. It turns out not having to worry about housing allows you to focus on other issues.  http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865605568/Utahs-Housing-First-program-proves-successful-with-large-decrease-in-chronic-homelessness-in-past.html?pg=all 

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #823 on: September 26, 2014, 12:48:56 PM »
Apparently, the house thing works though not in a vacuum other services have to be provided as well. It turns out not having to worry about housing allows you to focus on other issues.  http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865605568/Utahs-Housing-First-program-proves-successful-with-large-decrease-in-chronic-homelessness-in-past.html?pg=all

Makes sense since housing is generally the highest portion of a person's budget...

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #824 on: September 26, 2014, 05:59:53 PM »
Okay, okay, I stand (partially) corrected.

Still, something about it bugs me.

Someone else replied with, "How many of those houses are empty because the owners were foreclosed on after being only a few months behind on their payments?"

WTF.  "Only a few months?"  If you can't afford the house, you can't keep the house.  A few months is not like a few days.  If I was a few months behind on my rent... well, I wouldn't be; I'd be evicted well before that point.  And I would deserve it, regardless of what caused me to fall behind.  If you can't pay, you can't stay, and owners/mortgage companies have every right to kick someone out.

I get the whole subprime mortgage thing and banks lending to people who can't afford it, and that sucks.  But at the end of the day, I don't have much sympathy for the vast majority of people in that situation, and that kind of comments annoys the hell out of me.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #825 on: September 26, 2014, 06:51:39 PM »
Okay, okay, I stand (partially) corrected.

Still, something about it bugs me.

Someone else replied with, "How many of those houses are empty because the owners were foreclosed on after being only a few months behind on their payments?"

WTF.  "Only a few months?"  If you can't afford the house, you can't keep the house.  A few months is not like a few days.  If I was a few months behind on my rent... well, I wouldn't be; I'd be evicted well before that point.  And I would deserve it, regardless of what caused me to fall behind.  If you can't pay, you can't stay, and owners/mortgage companies have every right to kick someone out.

I get the whole subprime mortgage thing and banks lending to people who can't afford it, and that sucks.  But at the end of the day, I don't have much sympathy for the vast majority of people in that situation, and that kind of comments annoys the hell out of me.

Detroit is giving houses away for free http://writeahouse.com/ or even paying people to take them http://www.businessinsider.com/abandoned-houses-detroit-2011-2?op=1 to combat blight.

Your stance makes sense in areas where these foreclosures are the exception and the housing market is otherwise flourishing; if a customer is not keeping up their end of the bargain that was made and the bank can sell the house to someone who will, it is rational to undergo that process. But there are neighborhoods, not just in Detroit, but in lower-income areas of probably most major cities (Chicago for sure), where a foreclosure won't sell. Without residents to care for it, the house will deteriorate, further losing value. And the former residents will have to find other housing or become homeless.

The homeless, particularly the chronically so, are not free; and numerous studies have found that providing them housing significantly reduces the costs to the taxpayer incurred by them in emergency rooms and jails. I'll just give you the whole google search: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=giving%20homeless%20apartments. The state of Utah instituted a statewide program to do this. Not to mention, from a human perspective, can't we agree that having people on the street is just undesirable for society as a whole?

Anyway, I guess it comes down to, I think your friend AND you are both oversimplifying a complex problem. I think a solution that is both rational and humane exists, but requires banks, government, and individuals working together. Perhaps in some communities, housing the homeless in foreclosed homes is a reasonable solution. Perhaps in others, special, low-cost housing needs to be built. In some climates, what about campgrounds for the homeless? What about tiny houses http://occupymadisoninc.com/ ?

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #826 on: September 27, 2014, 04:35:55 AM »

Anyway, I guess it comes down to, I think your friend AND you are both oversimplifying a complex problem.

Probably.  I'm not saying that everyone who is homeless deserves it - I don't think that at all.  I recognize that it's a complex problem with a lot of factors, both in cause and solution.

My beef is mostly with the person who posted it in the first place, and the first commenter, because I know they're both horrible with money.  Not sure about the commenter, but the OP very much does not see it as his fault that he's always behind on bills, has horrible credit, etc., even though he's made a lot of glaringly stupid mistakes.  The commenter... is his mother.  3 kids and they're all bad with money, so I assume it's a learned behavior.

So when I see people who are terrible at managing money complaining about being "1-4 paychecks away from homelessness," I'm not sympathetic.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #827 on: September 28, 2014, 11:34:50 AM »
I have a Facebook friend who's a high-school classmate.  I'm not going to reveal her age, but I'm nearly 54 years old.  She was our class' stereotypical smokin'-hot cheerleader.  At our five-year reunion she was the stereotypical Mile-High-Club hot flight attendant, complete with '80s hair, stiletto heels, and the leather miniskirt.  (But, hey, it was a five-year high-school reunion and she worked hard on her image.)  Her Facebook postings include numerous explicit photos of her 1980s-90s "career" as a metal groupie (use your imagination) along with memorials of the artists she's known who have succumbed to their addictions/vices.  (Presumably those unfortunate fatalities were not her fault.)  A casual review of her FB photos over the years reveals extensive cosmetic surgery/enhancements.  (Her recent photo in a leopard-print string bikini is particularly revealing, so to speak, of these efforts.)  Her posted occupations during our FB friendship have switched among "actress", "artist", "model", and "fashion consultant".  She's perpetually in & out of  FB relationships.

If you're my high school classmate then you know exactly which of our other 384 alumni I'm describing.  Heck, if you were in the classes on either side of us you might still figure it out. 

For everyone else, I hope my description has placed her following FB comment in its appropriate context.

Forgot my Tiffany diamond bracelet and ring in my robe pocket at the spa, can you believe they just returned them?  Never would have happened in the USA.  Love Italy!
I've had many pieces of jewelry less valuable disappear in luxury hotels in the states.  This piece I forgot was easily a person's annual income and I'm quite sure I would not have seen it returned in the USA.  Just sayin...

I should probably unfriend her and shed the accompanying drama from my feed, but frankly it's hard to stop reading her defensive commentary.

This is only one brand, but http://www.ameda.com/breastfeeding-products/breast-pump-coverage/affordable-care-act. I agree with the others that it's not the top of the line pumps, but the one we got worked well enough and was an improvement.
So the consensus seems to be that:  these pumps really suck, even when they don't?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 11:41:57 AM by Nords »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #828 on: September 29, 2014, 11:28:11 AM »
I have a Facebook friend who's a high-school classmate.  I'm not going to reveal her age, but I'm nearly 54 years old.  She was our class' stereotypical smokin'-hot cheerleader.  At our five-year reunion she was the stereotypical Mile-High-Club hot flight attendant, complete with '80s hair, stiletto heels, and the leather miniskirt.  (But, hey, it was a five-year high-school reunion and she worked hard on her image.)  Her Facebook postings include numerous explicit photos of her 1980s-90s "career" as a metal groupie (use your imagination) along with memorials of the artists she's known who have succumbed to their addictions/vices.  (Presumably those unfortunate fatalities were not her fault.)  A casual review of her FB photos over the years reveals extensive cosmetic surgery/enhancements.  (Her recent photo in a leopard-print string bikini is particularly revealing, so to speak, of these efforts.)  Her posted occupations during our FB friendship have switched among "actress", "artist", "model", and "fashion consultant".  She's perpetually in & out of  FB relationships.

If you're my high school classmate then you know exactly which of our other 384 alumni I'm describing.  Heck, if you were in the classes on either side of us you might still figure it out. 

For everyone else, I hope my description has placed her following FB comment in its appropriate context.

Forgot my Tiffany diamond bracelet and ring in my robe pocket at the spa, can you believe they just returned them?  Never would have happened in the USA.  Love Italy!
I've had many pieces of jewelry less valuable disappear in luxury hotels in the states.  This piece I forgot was easily a person's annual income and I'm quite sure I would not have seen it returned in the USA.  Just sayin...

I should probably unfriend her and shed the accompanying drama from my feed, but frankly it's hard to stop reading her defensive commentary.

This is only one brand, but http://www.ameda.com/breastfeeding-products/breast-pump-coverage/affordable-care-act. I agree with the others that it's not the top of the line pumps, but the one we got worked well enough and was an improvement.
So the consensus seems to be that:  these pumps really suck, even when they don't?

I think I know who you're talking about, but I'll need to see some pics to verify.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #829 on: September 30, 2014, 10:03:39 AM »
Anti-anti-Mustachian on Facebook yesterday... poor girl, but good for her!

An acquaintance posted a status asking how to deal with debt collectors calling for a debt that isn't hers (they're looking for John Doe, she's Jane Smith). She's told them multiple times she is not John Doe, she doesn't know who or where he is, and to please stop calling. They haven't, and they won't tell her where they're calling from. Most posters were sympathizers or offered good advice, but one guy said something along the lines of "suck it up and pay what you owe." Clearly, he didn't read her full post where she said it's not her debt. Her response? "Person - please read my original post. This is not my debt. I have zero debt other than my student loan, which will be paid off next year, five years ahead of schedule."

It sucks that she's in that situation, but good for her for a) not having any debts other than student loans, and b) rapidly paying them off!

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #830 on: October 01, 2014, 02:53:58 PM »
I had a friend who awhile back posted on Facebook her Gofundme for her dog to have surgery. This I might have been in support of (I'm an animal lover myself) except for the fact that the surgery was to remove a skin tag! A: my dog has several of these and each time I talk to the vet she does not recommend surgery, tells me that it's completely unnecessary. B: if for some reason her dog really does need this surgery because the skin tag is a major issue, how expensive can it be to remove a skin tag? I never did bother to go in and look at the Gofundme for the stupid skin tag removal.  Just never made any sense to me...

BTW:  This exact same friend just moved into a new house about 2 weeks ago... less than a year after the Gofundme for her dog's surgery.

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #831 on: October 02, 2014, 03:12:53 PM »
OK, here is another one. I have a very dear friend who just recently moved out of state.  He lives in a little tiny 650 sq ft condo and works a decent government job making OK money.  Nothing wrong with that picture.  However, this guy HAS to buy all the latest and greatest and biggest and baddest EVERYTHING.  He is always posting pictures of all the gadgets he is buying. ithis and ithat (his current profile pic is of the new iwatch), Bose stereos, fitbits and fitbit scales, etc, etc, etc...

But this is my absolute favorite.  I remember when he went out and purchased this completely UNNECESSARY 70 inch TV for his 650 sq ft condo.  That's right. 70 inch TV.  And the kicker?  The PS4 was purchased slightly after because he enjoys playing games on his computer but gets uncomfortable after several hours because of the position he has to sit in to have his laptop on the coffee table in front of him.  So in order to be more comfortable he purchased the PS4 so he could lay back on the couch and play games instead...

I don't even know what to say...

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #832 on: October 02, 2014, 09:44:42 PM »
But this is my absolute favorite.  I remember when he went out and purchased this completely UNNECESSARY 70 inch TV for his 650 sq ft condo.  That's right. 70 inch TV.  And the kicker?  The PS4 was purchased slightly after because he enjoys playing games on his computer but gets uncomfortable after several hours because of the position he has to sit in to have his laptop on the coffee table in front of him.  So in order to be more comfortable he purchased the PS4 so he could lay back on the couch and play games instead...

Anybody else notice the irony on the wall above the upper left corner of the TV?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #833 on: October 03, 2014, 05:08:39 AM »

Anybody else notice the irony on the wall above the upper left corner of the TV?

'Growing' is what the TV did.

Hitachi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #834 on: October 03, 2014, 07:56:40 AM »
Here is one that I read today. A friends ex-wife post about EVERYTHING in her life 3-5 times a day on facebook, everything from what birth control she uses and the side affects to her weight problems and what she has had for dinner that day, she has done this the last 5 years that I have known them, atleast..

Today she posted that she was in a sad mode that she couldn't order a new Iphone 6 for herself since she ordered a Iphone 5s last year for her 9 year old daughter and still had more than a year on the "contract" She asked ALL of her friends on FB by this status (more than 500!) if anyone would consider taking the contract on them so she could buy the Iphone to herself and then she would pay monthly to them for 24 months! Otherwise she would be stuck with her old Iphone4 and of course she couldn't live with that phone much longer.. (I don't understand why she just couldn't take another contract on her self if it was that important)
I asked her (with a smiley) that I didn't know that you needed a contract to buy a phone? Response came after less than a minute. "not everyone can afford to buy a new phone like you do without a contract"
I bought my Galaxy Note2 preowned because I got a god deal on it!
I chuckled and I knew that if she would get someone to buy it it would be the same story next year when then new model is out.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #835 on: October 03, 2014, 12:47:31 PM »

Today she posted that she was in a sad mode that she couldn't order a new Iphone 6 for herself since she ordered a Iphone 5s last year for her 9 year old daughter and still had more than a year on the "contract" She asked ALL of her friends on FB by this status (more than 500!) if anyone would consider taking the contract on them so she could buy the Iphone to herself and then she would pay monthly to them for 24 months! Otherwise she would be stuck with her old Iphone4 and of course she couldn't live with that phone much longer.. (I don't understand why she just couldn't take another contract on her self if it was that important)
I asked her (with a smiley) that I didn't know that you needed a contract to buy a phone? Response came after less than a minute. "not everyone can afford to buy a new phone like you do without a contract"
I bought my Galaxy Note2 preowned because I got a god deal on it!
I chuckled and I knew that if she would get someone to buy it it would be the same story next year when then new model is out.

I love this for three reasons:

1. Explains why Apple's stock is so high
2. Why the average American's savings is so low
3. That if anyone questions anything, somehow it becomes about why us savers are the bad guys.

A friend of mine has posted on FB that her phone has broken and she is waiting for the Iphone 6 to get back in stock, but at least her post is asking if someone has an old phone that she can use in the meantime.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #836 on: October 03, 2014, 06:59:43 PM »
OK, here is another one. I have a very dear friend who just recently moved out of state.  He lives in a little tiny 650 sq ft condo and works a decent government job making OK money.  Nothing wrong with that picture.

I find the comment about the 'tiny 650 sq ft condo' absolutely hilarious, because that is over twice as big as my current place.

But yeah, that tv is way oversize.

Sunnymo

• Stubble
« Reply #837 on: October 03, 2014, 10:24:30 PM »
Saw an iPhone related post as well...

"Gotta love dropping and breaking your iPhone 5 to the point where the display screen is broken. I also can currently only accsess iMessage and will not have a lot of people's numbers. ‪#‎teachingmepatience‬ ‪#‎iphone4fornow‬ ‪#‎newphonesoon‬"

(Edit) just saw this from her in the comments...

" i've had no phone for like three hours and i am dying"

So, breaks iP5, orders iP6 and in the mean time pulls the 'old' iP4 out to keep going. She is a child care worker so not sure where the phone buying money comes from.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:30:49 PM by Sunnymo »

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #838 on: October 04, 2014, 12:15:46 PM »
Saw an iPhone related post as well...

"Gotta love dropping and breaking your iPhone 5 to the point where the display screen is broken. I also can currently only accsess iMessage and will not have a lot of people's numbers. ‪#‎teachingmepatience‬ ‪#‎iphone4fornow‬ ‪#‎newphonesoon‬"

(Edit) just saw this from her in the comments...

" i've had no phone for like three hours and i am dying"

So, breaks iP5, orders iP6 and in the mean time pulls the 'old' iP4 out to keep going. She is a child care worker so not sure where the phone buying money comes from.

It's def. not coming from her job, I used to do that, it is crazy how little I made and how hard I worked.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #839 on: October 07, 2014, 06:03:33 PM »
I'm in a group chat with a good group of friends. We're all heading out to a local pub tonight for a Trivia night (we do this every week), and a friend messaged the group to see if anyone wanted to grab dinner beforehand. Another friend, who is recently unemployed by choice (i.e., quit without a back up plan), declined. I was proud of her, until I read... "I'll get take out with you though. I just don't want to eat in and have to leave a tip. I'm too broke for that."

Yup.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #840 on: October 07, 2014, 06:06:35 PM »
I'm in a group chat with a good group of friends. We're all heading out to a local pub tonight for a Trivia night (we do this every week), and a friend messaged the group to see if anyone wanted to grab dinner beforehand. Another friend, who is recently unemployed by choice (i.e., quit without a back up plan), declined. I was proud of her, until I read... "I'll get take out with you though. I just don't want to eat in and have to leave a tip. I'm too broke for that."

Yup.
Maybe that $2-5 is the last straw that will push her into bankruptcy!

Beowulf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #841 on: October 07, 2014, 10:10:30 PM »
One of my friends just like a page that sells clothing, that you can finance.  Let me restate that, before getting to the part of their post/ad that shows the actual coat (which does look pretty cool) they talk about how you can finance the coat.  It looks like its 0 interest so assuming no strings are attached I would probably take the 6 month float if I were to buy the coat, but is it really a good idea for people to buy clothing they need to finance?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #842 on: October 08, 2014, 05:08:44 AM »
One of my friends just like a page that sells clothing, that you can finance.  Let me restate that, before getting to the part of their post/ad that shows the actual coat (which does look pretty cool) they talk about how you can finance the coat.  It looks like its 0 interest so assuming no strings are attached I would probably take the 6 month float if I were to buy the coat, but is it really a good idea for people to buy clothing they need to finance?

So how much was the coat?  I bet there are many people here with cheaper cars.  I was in a store the other day that had layaway, most expensive thing there was like 400$ - if you need layaway for 400$ you cant afford it.

fb132

« Reply #843 on: October 08, 2014, 05:27:25 AM »
*cough* credit.

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #844 on: October 08, 2014, 07:23:35 AM »
A facebook friend just posted 'who wants to help pay for my trip to Thailand?'.  A few minutes later she comments on the post saying 'you guys think I'm joking...' and then linked to her Paypal.  Somebody gave her $0.10.

To give some context to her latest facebook whinge, she spends money like it's going out of style.  Her parents gave her a car, only for her to sell it and use the proceeds as the down payment on an older, more expensive to run/maintain car.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #845 on: October 08, 2014, 08:16:39 AM »
A facebook friend just posted 'who wants to help pay for my trip to Thailand?'.  A few minutes later she comments on the post saying 'you guys think I'm joking...' and then linked to her Paypal.  Somebody gave her $0.10.

To give some context to her latest facebook whinge, she spends money like it's going out of style.  Her parents gave her a car, only for her to sell it and use the proceeds as the down payment on an older, more expensive to run/maintain car.
This trend of asking others to help pay for your fun times is getting ridiculous.  My DW and I just made a team decision we will not consider any "gofundme" or similar requests period.

Now, leaving $0.10, that is pretty funny!

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #846 on: October 08, 2014, 08:29:07 AM »

This trend of asking others to help pay for your fun times is getting ridiculous.  My DW and I just made a team decision we will not consider any "gofundme" or similar requests period.

Someone I know created a crowdsourcing campaign for a "fabulous" new organic anti-aging shampoo that she was going to invent in her kitchen because she was obviously so beautiful and ageless that we would all want to look like her. Seriously. That was the pitch. I'm almost 50 and people still tell me I'm hot, and I dress like I'm 20, so I'm therefore qualified to invent, produce, market, and distribute a product that makes significant health claims.

So she was asking for $500K. After getting $200 in the last month, she's graciously lowered it to $30K. Even if she doesn't reach the goal, she still gets to keep the cash.

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #847 on: October 08, 2014, 10:34:40 AM »

I'm young enough that most of my friends aren't married yet, but the few that have sent out these tedious 'please give us money' invitations/requests.  I understand their reasoning, but it still feels slimy and weird.

I've had to remove this particular person from my facebook feed because I was finding the lack of introspection and presumptuousness really sad.  I stopped bothering to invite her to places because there's only so many times I could see her gloat on social media about her latest acquisition then hear her say she couldn't go out because she was broke.

Another 'it came from facebook!':  Two friends often talk about how they want to get married and buy a house... then do nothing about it.  They were asking for suggestions on how to afford their wedding and house deposit, and I suggested selling things and finding side gigs - they reacted like I had grown two heads.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #848 on: October 08, 2014, 03:22:52 PM »

Yup.
Maybe that $2-5 is the last straw that will push her into bankruptcy!

Lol, not that I need to reiterate this to this crowd, but if you're $2-$5 away from bankruptcy, you probably shouldn't be eating out at all.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #849 on: October 08, 2014, 04:56:13 PM »

Someone I know created a crowdsourcing campaign for a "fabulous" new organic anti-aging shampoo that she was going to invent in her kitchen because she was obviously so beautiful and ageless that we would all want to look like her. Seriously. That was the pitch. I'm almost 50 and people still tell me I'm hot, and I dress like I'm 20, so I'm therefore qualified to invent, produce, market, and distribute a product that makes significant health claims.

She wanted funding for a shampoo she was going to invent? She didn't have it yet? And the selling point was her fabulous beauty that did NOT come from the shampoo? Brilliant.