Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 2967246 times)

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #7550 on: May 25, 2018, 12:01:26 PM »
None of us have a knack for languages the way little kids do! It is amazing to see my kiddo because she is just this sponge, soaking it all up effortlessly. I’m jealous because I’d like to think I’m okay at languages, but the tones in Chinese constantly throw me through a loop. Was that orange or being nice you were talking about? A horse or a mother or are you just asking a question? :)
"It'll be great!"

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7551 on: May 25, 2018, 12:23:28 PM »
None of us have a knack for languages the way little kids do! It is amazing to see my kiddo because she is just this sponge, soaking it all up effortlessly. Iím jealous because Iíd like to think Iím okay at languages, but the tones in Chinese constantly throw me through a loop. Was that orange or being nice you were talking about? A horse or a mother or are you just asking a question? :)

Our grad students once put on a clinic on how to say their names. It had lots of sloping hand movements to tell us which way to move our voices. Half the time I couldn't tell the difference between what they said when they moved their hand down or in a U shape. My ears just can't do it!

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7552 on: May 25, 2018, 12:48:12 PM »
(There are several things that I find odd with American houses. First, why do some have so many bathrooms? In Sweden most people have two bathrooms even if they live in a bigger house. I don't think I have ever even visited a house with more than three and that was quite a big and fancy house with more than three bedrooms so they did not have one bathroom per bedroom. Also, in Sweden you never say how many bathrooms you have when you describe the house, it is a little "too much information". I find it strange to write how many bathrooms I have here. I also find it weird that you only count the bedrooms when you describe your house. We live in what Swedes call a four room apartment meaning we have three bedrooms and a living room. We don't count the kitchen, hallway or bathroom/s. We also call any place you have a toilet in a toilet but a room that can be used to wash yourself in is also a bathroom. Sometimes people have a shower or shower/sauna with no toilet often in the basement and that might be called a shower room or just a shower. If you have that set up you usually have a half bath somewhere in the house and a regular bathroom with "everything" on either the first or second floor.)

Maybe we count all the rooms, because our European homes are so much smaller? In my country, we only count the rooms for an apartment, not for a house. I used to live in a three room apartment, now I live in a three bedroom house.

I learned a lot of languages in school: English, French, German, and a bit of Latin. I had friends who also took ancient Greek and Spanish on top of that, and of course we had Dutch as well (native language). I'm not really good at languages, I can only hold a real conversation in English and Dutch, but when I studied abroad for a while in Finland, I was amazed at how quickly I picked up Swedish. Swedish is the second official language of Finland and unlike Finnish the words don't look like your cat walked on your keyboard. I'm sure I picked it up quickly because I speak three other Germanic languages. My time in Finland really convinced me that even knowing a little bit of a language is a lot better than nothing.

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #7553 on: May 25, 2018, 12:56:13 PM »
The image of a cat walking across the keyboard gave me a good laugh.

I can’t find it now, but this reminds me of this wonderful joke I saw a while back. Basically it was sheet music that was very seriously written to transcribe a cat walking across the keys of a piano. For those who read music, it was a blast. Now I’m going to have to see if I can dig it up.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 03:10:45 PM by ysette9 »
"It'll be great!"

elliha

• Stubble
« Reply #7554 on: May 25, 2018, 01:07:27 PM »
(There are several things that I find odd with American houses. First, why do some have so many bathrooms? In Sweden most people have two bathrooms even if they live in a bigger house. I don't think I have ever even visited a house with more than three and that was quite a big and fancy house with more than three bedrooms so they did not have one bathroom per bedroom. Also, in Sweden you never say how many bathrooms you have when you describe the house, it is a little "too much information". I find it strange to write how many bathrooms I have here. I also find it weird that you only count the bedrooms when you describe your house. We live in what Swedes call a four room apartment meaning we have three bedrooms and a living room. We don't count the kitchen, hallway or bathroom/s. We also call any place you have a toilet in a toilet but a room that can be used to wash yourself in is also a bathroom. Sometimes people have a shower or shower/sauna with no toilet often in the basement and that might be called a shower room or just a shower. If you have that set up you usually have a half bath somewhere in the house and a regular bathroom with "everything" on either the first or second floor.)

Maybe we count all the rooms, because our European homes are so much smaller? In my country, we only count the rooms for an apartment, not for a house. I used to live in a three room apartment, now I live in a three bedroom house.

I learned a lot of languages in school: English, French, German, and a bit of Latin. I had friends who also took ancient Greek and Spanish on top of that, and of course we had Dutch as well (native language). I'm not really good at languages, I can only hold a real conversation in English and Dutch, but when I studied abroad for a while in Finland, I was amazed at how quickly I picked up Swedish. Swedish is the second official language of Finland and unlike Finnish the words don't look like your cat walked on your keyboard. I'm sure I picked it up quickly because I speak three other Germanic languages. My time in Finland really convinced me that even knowing a little bit of a language is a lot better than nothing.

I am not too surprised you understand Swedish somewhat when speaking German, English and Dutch. I speak Swedish, English and German (or my German is pretty bad but I understand a lot of words and basic grammar so I can speak it if I really have to) and Dutch is not completely out of my range in writing and I understand a bit of it when spoken. I have never tried to learn it though. The languages are related so there is a lot of overlap.

Finnish is really hard, I grew up in the northern parts of Swedish which is has a lot of native Finnish speakers (Swedes who speak Finnish as their first language and Finns who moved there from Finland) so I know how to swear in Finnish and I understand some words here and there but the part about a cat walking on a keyboard is quite accurate. "Tornedalsfinska" the local Finnish dialect borrows heavily from Swedish so that is not that hard to understand even if you don't know Finnish, at least the general context of what is said. They generally just use the Swedish word and add i at the end of the word. I am exaggerating a bit here but not that much. Like towel is "handduk" in Swedish and "hantuuki" in their version of Finnish which is basically how you would pronounce the Swedish word with a Finnish accent plus an extra i.

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7555 on: May 26, 2018, 05:47:37 AM »
None of us have a knack for languages the way little kids do! It is amazing to see my kiddo because she is just this sponge, soaking it all up effortlessly. Iím jealous because Iíd like to think Iím okay at languages, but the tones in Chinese constantly throw me through a loop. Was that orange or being nice you were talking about? A horse or a mother or are you just asking a question? :)

Ohhh that's SO familiar! When people ask me if I speak any Vietnamese after spending 6 months there I show them a video where they explain the tones using the word "ma" and its definitions go from horse to ghost to mother to little rice plant and I never distinguish which one is which. And then there's the additional problem that their alphabet has 3 different letter A's so on top of the 6 tones there can be 3 As leaving a total of 18 possibilities to pronounce an A. How am I supposed to remember that?

Elliha and Imma; totally agree! I'm fluent in English and Dutch but 3 years of German in high school left me with some solid listening abilities. My French unfortunately almost completely disappeared, though it comes back quickly when I spend time in France or around French speaking people. I'm also often surprised by how easy Scandinavian languages are for us Dutchies! I've had some friends call Dutch a combi of German, English and Scandinavian and I think they're right. My friends and I often try to find words that are similar/the same in our languages and whenever we don't know a word in English we just say it in our own language and the others mostly respond with "oh got it, same in my language". Elliha presented an excellent example there with handduk - handdoek - handtuch. Another one to add to my list :)

elliha

• Stubble
« Reply #7556 on: May 27, 2018, 02:42:33 PM »
Spendy pants coworker known from the work thread just posted her latest buy: a Valentino purse and a pair of white Gucci shoes. Gucci shoes is ridiculous for a high school teacher to start with but white ones? How are you even able to wear white shoes without wrecking them on the first day? Other people might be less clumsy than me but I would have had at least 3 stains after 30 mins and that would be the best case scenario. Brown or black Gucci shoes could at least be bought with the claim that they would last long but white ones?

I seriously hope her father is paying for them since I know a doctor/nurse couple is not able to buy this much designer things and not put themselves into serious problems.

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
  • Bot - Do Not Reply
« Reply #7557 on: May 27, 2018, 02:59:16 PM »
I seriously hope her father is paying for them since I know a doctor/nurse couple is not able to buy this much designer things and not put themselves into serious problems.
What now? From a quick googling, such a purse runs about $1,500 and the shoes $1,000. What country do you live in? Any North American doctor should be able to buy that every month with plenty of money leftover.

elliha

• Stubble
« Reply #7558 on: May 27, 2018, 03:08:34 PM »
What now? From a quick googling, such a purse runs about $1,500 and the shoes $1,000. What country do you live in? Any North American doctor should be able to buy that every month with plenty of money leftover.

She is not a doctor, she is a high school teacher and her husband is a nurse. Her father is a doctor though so I mixed them up. She could probably afford one pair of Gucci shoes in a year or so and this is like her 4th or 5th designer item this year and given previous years I know there will be more.

Missy B

• Stubble
« Reply #7559 on: May 27, 2018, 04:22:37 PM »

The only difference between FIREs and the dole bludger is that FIREs expect to do a few years' work first, but they also expect to draw more money than the unemployment benefit, so there you go.

And this is why I don't think many of us are in a position to judge dole bludgers.
I strongly disagree here.  I won't presume to speak for everyone else here, but in my opinion, there's a world of difference.  The money that a FIREd person has represents an accumulated unpaid debt that society owes that person for the value they have contributed to the economy by their work.  They have chosen (or in some cases, been forced) to set aside some of their compensation, so that when the time comes that they either cannot or do not wish to work longer, society owes them enough that they can call in that debt and live comfortably.  A dole bludger, roundly speaking, has not contributed to society and therefore is owed nothing, from a purely economic perspective.
[/quote]
Like you, I don't think FIRED have much in common with chronic dolers. But your reasoning is whack.
Society owes the FIRED nothing. Society does not owe the FIRED a 'debt' because the FIRED saved their money instead of pissing it away. You aren't 'calling in societies' debt' when you FIRE. You're making a decision based on your own planning, fortitude, and good fortune.

If anything, the FIRED have a debt to the society which, by its structure and opportunities, allowed the FIRED to become wealthy enough to cease work.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7560 on: May 27, 2018, 05:02:05 PM »
Like you, I don't think FIRED have much in common with chronic dolers. But your reasoning is whack.
Society owes the FIRED nothing. Society does not owe the FIRED a 'debt' because the FIRED saved their money instead of pissing it away. You aren't 'calling in societies' debt' when you FIRE. You're making a decision based on your own planning, fortitude, and good fortune.

If anything, the FIRED have a debt to the society which, by its structure and opportunities, allowed the FIRED to become wealthy enough to cease work.
I think you may be misinterpreting me, or perhaps I did not make my point well enough.  Let's take two people who get the same salary from age 25 to age 45, and assume their compensation is commensurate with their economic contribution.  The spendthrift immediately spends every penny they earn, and the mustachian saves 50%.  In other words, the mustachian is deferring their compensation for later.  When I say "debt," I am specifically referring to the money the mustachian has saved and invested, because the mustachian can draw on that accumulated wealth to enable themselves to RE at 45.  The spendthrift, having spent all their money, has no accumulated wealth, and therefore has nothing to draw on.  When both people hit 45, the spendthrift must continue to work, as he has no other source of support.  The mustachian, on the other hand, has carefully cultivated his garden of greenbacks to the point where his greenbacks provide enough economic contribution on their own to support him. 

Perhaps "debt" was an imprecise term, but it's important to remember that money is a store of economic value, that you can trade for goods or services that you need or want.  The mustachian simply defers the redemption of his money for goods and services until he needs them, much like a lender may wait to call a loan due.

Polaria

• Stubble
« Reply #7561 on: May 28, 2018, 05:41:26 AM »
We live in what Swedes call a four room apartment meaning we have three bedrooms and a living room. We don't count the kitchen, hallway or bathroom/s. We also call any place you have a toilet in a toilet but a room that can be used to wash yourself in is also a bathroom. Sometimes people have a shower or shower/sauna with no toilet often in the basement and that might be called a shower room or just a shower. If you have that set up you usually have a half bath somewhere in the house and a regular bathroom with "everything" on either the first or second floor.)

I am currently studying Swedish for fun (I already know English and Dutch on top of French) and we went into that exact discussion of room counting during a lesson.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7562 on: May 28, 2018, 07:14:30 PM »
We live in what Swedes call a four room apartment meaning we have three bedrooms and a living room. We don't count the kitchen, hallway or bathroom/s. We also call any place you have a toilet in a toilet but a room that can be used to wash yourself in is also a bathroom. Sometimes people have a shower or shower/sauna with no toilet often in the basement and that might be called a shower room or just a shower. If you have that set up you usually have a half bath somewhere in the house and a regular bathroom with "everything" on either the first or second floor.)

I am currently studying Swedish for fun (I already know English and Dutch on top of French) and we went into that exact discussion of room counting during a lesson.

I lived in Japan for a few years and they don't count bathrooms either. Houses/apartments are mostly done in the style of #LDK, with the number representing the number of bedrooms, and the LDK indicating living room/dining room/kitchen. The letters are present if you have those, not present if you don't. So 1K would mean that you have a kitchen that's in a separate room from your otherwise studio apartment, but you don't have any living or dining space. 2LDK would mean 2 bedrooms, living room, dining room, and kitchen.

Sometimes you'll even see 1R - if you're in a studio apartment that does not have a living room or dining room space, and it doesn't have a separate kitchen area (either it doesn't have one at all or it's tiny and in the same room), then you have a 1R(oom).
FIREd! as of Sep 4, 2015

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7563 on: May 28, 2018, 07:49:13 PM »
Can't say it on FB, but:

"We are buying a house and already know it needs some touch-up painting done throughout. We can't afford (right now) to completely paint... does anyone have any suggestions on how we can touch it up without it being obvious? Worried about wrong colors."

Why are you buying a house if you don't have enough savings to buy PAINT? Sheesh, recipe for disaster there.

Finallyunderstand

• Stubble
« Reply #7564 on: May 29, 2018, 05:58:42 AM »
Can't say it on FB, but:

"We are buying a house and already know it needs some touch-up painting done throughout. We can't afford (right now) to completely paint... does anyone have any suggestions on how we can touch it up without it being obvious? Worried about wrong colors."

Why are you buying a house if you don't have enough savings to buy PAINT? Sheesh, recipe for disaster there.

Just maybe the only way they can think to have it painted is to hire a professional company.  God forbid you do it yourself for $150 worth of paint.  Either way, I agree with you!

bluebelle

• Stubble
« Reply #7565 on: May 29, 2018, 10:44:12 AM »
Can't say it on FB, but:

Just maybe the only way they can think to have it painted is to hire a professional company.  God forbid you do it yourself for $150 worth of paint.  Either way, I agree with you!
or they can't afford an extra month's rent or can't get bridge financing, so they have to move in the day it closes?  It's a lot easier to paint an empty house, so having a two week overlap is nice.....but yeah, other than that, WTF?

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7566 on: May 29, 2018, 11:16:23 AM »
Seen not on facebook per se, but not worth its own thread:  I'm selling a Scentsy warmer on bookoo for $3.  A user messaged me to tell me they're interested.  But won't have the cash to pay for it for another week.

C'mon, if you're that strapped for cash, why on earth are you buying Scentsy stuff!?

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7567 on: May 29, 2018, 11:40:28 AM »

I think you may be misinterpreting me, or perhaps I did not make my point well enough.  Let's take two people who get the same salary from age 25 to age 45, and assume their compensation is commensurate with their economic contribution.  The spendthrift immediately spends every penny they earn, and the mustachian saves 50%.  In other words, the mustachian is deferring their compensation for later.  When I say "debt," I am specifically referring to the money the mustachian has saved and invested, because the mustachian can draw on that accumulated wealth to enable themselves to RE at 45.  The spendthrift, having spent all their money, has no accumulated wealth, and therefore has nothing to draw on.  When both people hit 45, the spendthrift must continue to work, as he has no other source of support.  The mustachian, on the other hand, has carefully cultivated his garden of greenbacks to the point where his greenbacks provide enough economic contribution on their own to support him. 

Perhaps "debt" was an imprecise term, but it's important to remember that money is a store of economic value, that you can trade for goods or services that you need or want.  The mustachian simply defers the redemption of his money for goods and services until he needs them, much like a lender may wait to call a loan due.
Ah, when I was thinking "debt" I was thinking you were referring to Social Security or something like that, that the government would pay you.  You are correct in your way of thinking, but I was thinking something different when you said it.

When I think of  "debt to society" I usually think of "taxes to the government to pay for services you've received/receiving."  So like taxes that paid for education through high school.  Protection by the police and military.  Paved roads.  Things like that.  It would be difficult to know when you've "paid" that off.  Of course my argument is that whatever taxes levied have been paid so you're doing what you can.  And if you volunteer during retirement then that would help "pay" your "debt to society," even if it's not to the government.

Sibley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7568 on: May 29, 2018, 04:26:16 PM »
Can't say it on FB, but:

or they can't afford an extra month's rent or can't get bridge financing, so they have to move in the day it closes?  It's a lot easier to paint an empty house, so having a two week overlap is nice.....but yeah, other than that, WTF?

It was from a DIY page, so it's not the cost of painters. Just paint. For that matter, I'm currently living in a bit of a construction zone. Is it perfect? No. Is it livable? Yes. just step over the closet door on the floor (painting it).

wauske

• Stubble
« Reply #7569 on: May 29, 2018, 11:19:56 PM »
Seen not on facebook per se, but not worth its own thread:  I'm selling a Scentsy warmer on bookoo for $3.  A user messaged me to tell me they're interested.  But won't have the cash to pay for it for another week.

C'mon, if you're that strapped for cash, why on earth are you buying Scentsy stuff!?

Didn't know that brand and had to Google it. Apparently they now have a 2 for 11$ sale on the peach flavour while one only costs 5,40$.

Also, did you tell the buyer he has to pay shipping too? Maybe he'll need even more time then!
Everything I say is my personal opinion which is based on my subjective experience.

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7570 on: June 01, 2018, 07:09:00 PM »
A classmate from high school wrote on Facebook today

"Just keep winning free play on our lotto tickets (frowny face), I'd be happy with hundred thou and be out of debt.  Some day I'll win big (smiley face)"

Doubt it.  (Face palm face)

Update time.  Same person just posted a photo of a 65" 4K LED Smart TV with the caption "present for husband".  Dare I ask if she's out of debt now?

Another update, this just keeps getting worse.  Today she wrote

"I feel like the world has fallen on my shoulders, after I get baby to sleep I'm going to call subsidy to see if we qualify, but from the sounds of it we don't so we are basically screwed.  I can't afford $530 a month for daycare, LMAO, I'm already drowning in debt as it is"

I have no words.  No. Fucking. Words.

New update today for this person, I didn't think they could top the last one but boy did they find a way. 
They posted a photo of their truck, which is/was a brand new Dodge Ram with the biggest cab I've ever seen, which apparently they had purchased new 3 years ago, along with the following garbage..

"Call us crazy LOL we have traded in our vehicle a million times, but I'd rather be stuck in a vehicle I actually like!! We are in over our head but I don't care!!  One of these days I'll win the lottery :)"

What does it take for someone like this to see the light?  I just don't understand!

Well, here it goes again.  Train-wreck Facebook friend posted today complaining that she was mad that her "loan place" (payday loan place) wouldn't let her "re-loan" since she paid it off a day early, she would have to wait until tomorrow and come back to "re-loan". 

They got lots of comments from others complaining about payday loan places, not about how big a ripoff they are, but about how they don't like the rules that you can get extra loans and flexible pay back schedules etc. 

One person wrote "they used to let me pay early then re-loan, but it's been a year since I've done one" to which the OP responded "wow, we get loans ALL THE TIME!! LOL!!"

I wish I could un-see this.

Same person today, similar post to the original from last year.

"I need to win the lotto! I'd be happy with 1 million, and be outta debt.  Need work done on the truck, new tires and brakes and something else."

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7571 on: June 01, 2018, 07:38:09 PM »
A classmate from high school wrote on Facebook today

"Just keep winning free play on our lotto tickets (frowny face), I'd be happy with hundred thou and be out of debt.  Some day I'll win big (smiley face)"

Doubt it.  (Face palm face)

Update time.  Same person just posted a photo of a 65" 4K LED Smart TV with the caption "present for husband".  Dare I ask if she's out of debt now?

Another update, this just keeps getting worse.  Today she wrote

"I feel like the world has fallen on my shoulders, after I get baby to sleep I'm going to call subsidy to see if we qualify, but from the sounds of it we don't so we are basically screwed.  I can't afford $530 a month for daycare, LMAO, I'm already drowning in debt as it is"

I have no words.  No. Fucking. Words.

New update today for this person, I didn't think they could top the last one but boy did they find a way. 
They posted a photo of their truck, which is/was a brand new Dodge Ram with the biggest cab I've ever seen, which apparently they had purchased new 3 years ago, along with the following garbage..

"Call us crazy LOL we have traded in our vehicle a million times, but I'd rather be stuck in a vehicle I actually like!! We are in over our head but I don't care!!  One of these days I'll win the lottery :)"

What does it take for someone like this to see the light?  I just don't understand!

Well, here it goes again.  Train-wreck Facebook friend posted today complaining that she was mad that her "loan place" (payday loan place) wouldn't let her "re-loan" since she paid it off a day early, she would have to wait until tomorrow and come back to "re-loan". 

They got lots of comments from others complaining about payday loan places, not about how big a ripoff they are, but about how they don't like the rules that you can get extra loans and flexible pay back schedules etc. 

One person wrote "they used to let me pay early then re-loan, but it's been a year since I've done one" to which the OP responded "wow, we get loans ALL THE TIME!! LOL!!"

I wish I could un-see this.

Same person today, similar post to the original from last year.

"I need to win the lotto! I'd be happy with 1 million, and be outta debt.  Need work done on the truck, new tires and brakes and something else."

This describes me perfectly.  Except replace truck with beater honda.

JAYSLOL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7572 on: June 02, 2018, 09:14:33 AM »

I'll bet your debt is very different from their debt (credit card, payday loan and truck payment)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7573 on: June 02, 2018, 01:21:05 PM »

I'll bet your debt is very different from their debt (credit card, payday loan and truck payment)

I have a mortgage.  If I won a million dollar lottery Iíd probably pay it off, but I guess Iíd still have to think about it.  So yeah.

elliha

• Stubble
« Reply #7574 on: June 02, 2018, 02:10:16 PM »
Spendy colleague is on staycation with her husband right now and after only one freaking day I am sick of pictures of fancy drinks and expensive food. I hope her phone stops working or something... I hope they go to their cabin or something so they can't spend so much.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7575 on: June 02, 2018, 08:43:55 PM »
Spendy colleague is on staycation with her husband right now and after only one freaking day I am sick of pictures of fancy drinks and expensive food. I hope her phone stops working or something... I hope they go to their cabin or something so they can't spend so much.

new phone who dis?

Rowellen

• Bristles
« Reply #7576 on: June 11, 2018, 10:50:53 PM »
On facebook marketplace:

Used once. Change of mind as the colour doesnít go with my house.

Accompanied by picture of fancy looking blue kettle and toaster on neutral coloured bench with white tiles.

MNBen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7577 on: June 15, 2018, 12:13:19 PM »
Facebook Post:   Any of my friends out there know a lot about trading stocks and using E*Trade?

I wrote him privately, as he's simply an acquaintance from high school but I thought maybe he was wondering how to do a 'covered call' or some type of limit and I could help.

His response:  I was just looking at buying some Apple shares but wondering about timing.  Obviously you can't ever know for sure when to buy but it looks like they have lost a bit in the past few days...

I wouldn't answer that and instead recommended he look at index funds, gave him one, and pointed him to MMM. 

His response:  Oh thanks! Thatís great info.

We'll see what comes of it. 

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7578 on: June 21, 2018, 05:50:39 AM »
For the first time in a LONG time Madame Bovary was back on FB with this little gem

"Ugh 16 million raised for nasty illegals, how about someone pay into my GoFundMe to pay my past due rent and credit card bills"

I have a  feeling she may be going back on block soon.

CptCool

• Stubble
« Reply #7579 on: June 21, 2018, 09:04:23 AM »
For the first time in a LONG time Madame Bovary was back on FB with this little gem

"Ugh 16 million raised for nasty illegals, how about someone pay into my GoFundMe to pay my past due rent and credit card bills"

wow

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7580 on: June 21, 2018, 12:36:56 PM »

wow

What the fuck.  Yeah, I don't think I could tolerate watching her posts without saying something quite sharp back at her.

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
  • Bot - Do Not Reply
« Reply #7581 on: June 21, 2018, 01:04:29 PM »
Wait 2 days then comment "wow no takers, nobody must like you".

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7582 on: June 21, 2018, 01:56:19 PM »

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 05:30:21 PM by dragoncar »

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7583 on: June 21, 2018, 02:49:10 PM »
"Yeah, as long as we're on the subject of not needing attitude. . . ." Wow, that was precious.

lemanfan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7584 on: June 21, 2018, 02:49:51 PM »
Weird screenshot

Jesus Horatio Christ.  Whats rong with people these days.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7585 on: June 21, 2018, 03:10:01 PM »
NEXT!

Like she's doing THEM a favor.
The two offers that combined could have solved her problem. But she was too busy being a demanding jerk. Is her next post about how people are so selfish and rude?

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7586 on: June 21, 2018, 03:23:39 PM »
https://i.redd.it/bmojp48j6t401.jpg
I'm left rather speechless at this one.

I mean, it's not particularly antimustachian (she is, after all, trying to avoid spending money), but holy smokes that's quite the attitude he/she has.  Talk about no self-awareness whatsoever. "NEXT!!!!"

It reminds me of a Facebook friend who recently quit the church she had attended for 20 years. She posted some bitterly anti-old-church stuff, along with something along the lines of "I'll be able to tell who my real friends are because they won't unfriend me over this!"  I gently reminded her that if she's going to publicly attack and denigrate their religion, she shouldn't be surprised if they don't want to hang out with her as much any more.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 06:44:06 AM by zolotiyeruki »

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #7587 on: June 22, 2018, 12:46:18 AM »
Weird screenshot

Jesus Horatio Christ.  Whats rong with people these days.
On the other hand, the answer "That's just the name of our cab company, we don't require intoxication" almost made me choke on my coffee and totally made my day :D
I am actually still grinning like an idiot at my desk minutes after reading it

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7588 on: June 22, 2018, 06:42:21 AM »

wow

What the fuck.  Yeah, I don't think I could tolerate watching her posts without saying something quite sharp back at her.

Yea I used to all the time, I think that's why she took a Facebook hiatus after the "buy my kids Christmas presents" Amazon gift list way earlier in the thread that included North Face jackets for her and her boy toy and like $200 hair care products for her.  I did point out to her that illegal crossing was less of a criminal offense then her daily pot habit in a non legalized state so far she hasn't said anything...

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7589 on: June 22, 2018, 08:58:02 AM »
"iso"?  From context I dont think this was a reference to the International Standards Organization.
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7590 on: June 22, 2018, 08:59:41 AM »

*snip*

For more similar (and the same) posts:
I'd like to submit the entire r/ChoosingBeggars subreddit.

A couple of highlights:

I need a free 100-mile bus trip for 20 people

I can't afford food but I can buy festival tickets for hundreds of dollars
The "Next!" lady has a few in there.  That thread is good too if you haven't seen it.

sherr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7591 on: June 22, 2018, 09:13:13 AM »
"iso"?  From context I dont think this was a reference to the International Standards Organization.

In Search Of. I know, it drives me crazy too, especially since we already have an acronym for that, "WTB - Want To Buy".

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7592 on: June 22, 2018, 09:16:38 AM »

In Search Of. I know, it drives me crazy too, especially since we already have an acronym for that, "WTB - Want To Buy".
ISO, from what I can tell came from gaming from the early 90's.  WTB seems like it came later.  At least from my experience with the terms.  So to me WTB is redundant.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7593 on: June 22, 2018, 09:21:28 AM »
I'm not awake, the game I remember seeing it was in early 2000's.  It was trading so you don't "buy" you trade.  ISO makes more sense.  Also, OP didn't want to BUY anything.

elliha

• Stubble
« Reply #7594 on: June 26, 2018, 01:47:53 PM »
Spendy colleague doesn't fail to entertain me with her "finds". She just bought a cold brew coffee maker. She did brag that it was half off but half off is still more than I would ever dream of paying for something that does only one thing. Even half off it is likely to be 800-1000 SEK.

She previously bought a set of Louis Vuitton bags which I wasn't even chocked about since that is so her to do that. I do think they may be second hand and not old enough to be vintage so they are probably a budget choice as far as the brand but I assume they were still not cheap. They seem to be carry on luggage size which I guess is great because I cannot imagine checking in such an expensive bag.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #7595 on: June 30, 2018, 10:43:03 AM »
On Facebook, I recently saw a new selfie of ďJamieĒ next to a new car.  Jamieís lifestyle had been subsidized by a parent for the past decade or two (unbeknownst to Jamieís siblings until a couple of years ago).  I donít know the total payout but I believe it amounted to hundreds of thousands of dollars, to the point where the parent became stressed about money.  Jamie has worked various jobs over the years but apparently lived above that income.

The parent passed away last year and Iím guessing Jamie has received some inheritance and has started the hard work of blowing through it all as quickly as possible.  Jamie is about 50 and likely has no retirement savings.  As far as I know, there will be no more windfalls coming either.

"In Search Of", I LOVED that show as a kid!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 05:27:39 PM by nouveauRiche »

prudent_one

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7596 on: July 02, 2018, 04:55:57 PM »

But in the screenshot, that person wasn't "wanting to buy".  More like "WFS" (want free service).

sapphail

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7597 on: July 03, 2018, 03:47:08 AM »
She just bought a cold brew coffee maker.

Wait, cold brew coffee machines are a thing? I thought you just ground coffee, poured cold water over it, and chucked it in the fridge overnight.

elliha

• Stubble
« Reply #7598 on: July 03, 2018, 03:51:48 AM »
She just bought a cold brew coffee maker.

Wait, cold brew coffee machines are a thing? I thought you just ground coffee, poured cold water over it, and chucked it in the fridge overnight.

They are a thing, I had to google what the f*ck she had bought because I couldn't tell just from looking at it. I thought the same as you before that. I know they did cold brew before that but now they can do it the fancy way...

turketron

• Bristles
« Reply #7599 on: July 03, 2018, 06:44:46 AM »

They are a thing, I had to google what the f*ck she had bought because I couldn't tell just from looking at it. I thought the same as you before that. I know they did cold brew before that but now they can do it the fancy way...

I just buy the 3lb cans of pre-ground coffee from starbucks and then brew it in one of the leftover cans, and then filter it using a sieve and cheesecloth. Same result for like $5 worth of materials...