Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082320 times)

Left Bank

• Stubble
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #750 on: September 05, 2014, 02:04:30 PM »
A fat woman on FB with three OBESE children just posted this gem.

REALLY wanted to comment: Oh the horror if Americans could no longer afford fast food! What would they do? Buy their own produce? Prepare their own meals? Live healthier lifestyles and drive down medical costs for EVERYONE? Gawd - please don't raise the minimum wage - just THINK of the consequences!

My husband and I were talking about a set of acquaintances that spend $800-$900 a month JUST on fast food. They say they are just too busy to be bothered with cooking. They are both well into the morbidly obese category. She's probably pushing 300 easy and he is near 375-400.

Last night, I was feeling lazy about dinner after work. Instead of loading up a 1200 cal meal at Burger King, I fired up the broiler, got out some Torta rolls, and made toasted sandwiches. I used chicken breast lunchmeat and low fat Swiss cheese. Served it with some oven baked fries and water. The calorie count for the meal was around 530 (I measured it all out).  It took about 5 minutes to assemble the sandwiches and 1 minute to throw the fries in the oven. 15 minutes later, it was ready. My husband said it wasn't health food, but it was way better than anything they were buying regularly from McBurgerWendy's and barely took any time to throw together. They just want an excuse for being fat and eating garbage all the time.

This post struck me as just today I was wondering to myself, what does it cost for the food to become obese and maintain that amount of fat?  I know there are a lot of variables (cheap if you're drinking corn oil and expensive if your eating sushi to put on that weight) but on average what is that price per pound? 

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #751 on: September 05, 2014, 02:06:46 PM »
Instead of loading up a 1200 cal meal at Burger King, I fired up the broiler, got out some Torta rolls, and made toasted sandwiches. I used chicken breast lunchmeat and low fat Swiss cheese. Served it with some oven baked fries and water. The calorie count for the meal was around 530 (I measured it all out).  It took about 5 minutes to assemble the sandwiches and 1 minute to throw the fries in the oven. 15 minutes later, it was ready. My husband said it wasn't health food, but it was way better than anything they were buying regularly from McBurgerWendy's and barely took any time to throw together. They just want an excuse for being fat and eating garbage all the time.

That's what badassity is all about to me!  You didn't take the easy way out, but took the slightly more difficult and, ultimately both physically and financially, rewarding way.  Well done!  Often badass isn't the route want you want to do at the time, but glad you did when it's over.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #752 on: September 05, 2014, 02:28:37 PM »
My husband and I were talking about a set of acquaintances that spend $800-$900 a month JUST on fast food. They say they are just too busy to be bothered with cooking. They are both well into the morbidly obese category. She's probably pushing 300 easy and he is near 375-400.

A McDouble costs me $1 and has 380 calories. 800 * 380 is 304,000 or 152,000 per person. That's just a bit over 5000 calories per day. No fucking shit they're hamplanets, I'd be surprised if they ever got out of the car to order and get their food - walking's gotta be pretty hard when you eat enough to feed a family of four.

purpleqgr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #753 on: September 05, 2014, 03:11:11 PM »
A McDouble costs me $1 and has 380 calories. 800 * 380 is 304,000 or 152,000 per person. That's just a bit over 5000 calories per day. No fucking shit they're hamplanets, I'd be surprised if they ever got out of the car to order and get their food - walking's gotta be pretty hard when you eat enough to feed a family of four.

I'm keeping 'hamplanets'. That's too good not to spread around, gravity and all.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #754 on: September 05, 2014, 04:01:31 PM »

They've occasionally been so proud of whatever they ordered to post receipts. Believe me, it is not things from the dollar menu and all large sized, pls.

I always feel bad for the kids because they are so obese and middle aged. Their kids are very young and their parents just look so incredibly unhealthy.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #755 on: September 05, 2014, 04:33:40 PM »

They've occasionally been so proud of whatever they ordered to post receipts. Believe me, it is not things from the dollar menu and all large sized, pls.

I always feel bad for the kids because they are so obese and middle aged. Their kids are very young and their parents just look so incredibly unhealthy.

My husband works a very, very part-time weekend shift doing the roasting at a local coffee shop, which also sells flatbreads (small pizzas) and cookies and whatnot.  Well, apparently there's a family which comes in every Saturday.  Hugely, hugely overweight and it's easy to see why.  They buy the kids each their own flatbread (half of one makes a nice lunch portion for me, with a piece of fruit), a large hot chocolate, and a cookie (big) or piece of cake.  All said it's probably 1000 calories/kid, and the adults get a comparable amount of food.  They probably spend about $50 there every weekend to maintain their size. 
I really do think that it should be considered a form of child abuse to make your kid obese like that.  If you want to be a hamplanet (love that, btw) then go for it, but don't do that to your kids.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #756 on: September 05, 2014, 05:08:22 PM »
 No fucking shit they're hamplanets, I'd be surprised if they ever got out of the car to order and get their food - walking's gotta be pretty hard when you eat enough to feed a family of four.
[/quote]

+1  for the newly coined "hamplanets"

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #757 on: September 05, 2014, 05:29:04 PM »
A FB friend (often unemployed) but one who constantly frequents the gym and shows us photos of his guns, posts this gem today:

'Rudely awakened from my nap on the couch during the storm today. So, now who do I call to remove a HUGE limb from the patio?'

There were some funny comments such as:

"Helloooo...haven't you been working out? Pick up the tree and put it by the side of the road, Girl!"

Oh and I just noticed his profile photo shows him shirtless -  kissing a bicep. Impressive.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #758 on: September 05, 2014, 05:29:35 PM »

Something's wrong with the math.  Seems closer to 415 than 5000 calories per day.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #759 on: September 05, 2014, 06:48:48 PM »
A FB friend (often unemployed) but one who constantly frequents the gym and shows us photos of his guns, posts this gem today:

'Rudely awakened from my nap on the couch during the storm today. So, now who do I call to remove a HUGE limb from the patio?'

There were some funny comments such as:

"Helloooo...haven't you been working out? Pick up the tree and put it by the side of the road, Girl!"

Oh and I just noticed his profile photo shows him shirtless -  kissing a bicep. Impressive.
I've cut up and disposed of limbs in my yard bigger than that ... and I'm a bicep-less girl who doesn't go to the gym.  That's just laziness.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #760 on: September 05, 2014, 06:56:44 PM »
Something's wrong with the math.  Seems closer to 415 than 5000 calories per day.

Hum. 380 * 800 is 304000, half is 152000, divided by 30 is 5000 or so. Backwards, 5k times 30 is 150k, double is 300k, divided by 800 is 375. Works out, I think, but then I've forgotten how to add, can only do complex analysis, so maybe not.

I didn't invent the term hamplanets, unfortunately. Fortunately, it gets way funnier.

> be me
> be sitting in mcfuck's
> feel earth shake
> food slides to the right
> galaxy walks in
> followed by jupiter and saturn
> food has entered their gravitational pull
> mfw

Also funny terms: mini-moon (as in, jupiter followed by its moons), deathfat (no explanation needed), "small fat" (from people saying things like "It was a disaster; I couldn't fit through the door to get to the kitchen! I'm a small fat at 5'0" 250 lb, so clearly the doorway was poorly constructed."), wailord (whale from pokemon I think), orca (a small whale), ...

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #761 on: September 05, 2014, 08:27:37 PM »
And now you're not!

It's ok, there are good ones for skeleton manlets like myself too. (Like that one.)

TLV

• Bristles
« Reply #762 on: September 05, 2014, 08:51:09 PM »

You're thinking the original amount was per year, but that's how much it was said they spent/ate per month.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #763 on: September 05, 2014, 10:26:52 PM »
This non-mustachian friend responded with how horrible it was to deprive kids of the Disney experience and that it should be a priority. 

WHAT?!?

Well I guess I can blame most, if not all of my problems on the fact that my parents couldn't afford to take me to Disneyland. Often I think about how my life would have been different, fuller, richer, funner if only they had thought about taking us to see the Disney castle instead of providing 3 square meals a day and shodding my little kid feet in warm boots to get me through the winter.
Disneyland blows my mind, and not in a wow, that is so cool kind of way. We have friends who have taken their 5 year old to Disneyland 8 times. Yes...8. They were going to take her this year at Christmas but she's just so over Disneyland and wanted more presents instead.  Every once in a while one of my kids will bring Disneyland up because someone they know is going, but if we're gonna shell out our hard earned money on a holiday, I'm going somewhere with awesome food, lazy beaches and warm weather, they are ok with the tradeoff.
Thats crazy. I also know of a family that is really struggleling but every year goes to Disney, their kid isnt even 5 yet so will likely not even remember much of it later. Tsk tsk tsk. (Lol)
On the other hand, i took my kid for his 9th bday for 3 full days and it was AMAZING. However, his bday is off season (but still nice enough weather imo) do super steep discounts for a VERY sprecial memory(we had it rough the prior 2 years )

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #764 on: September 06, 2014, 01:32:14 AM »
This non-mustachian friend responded with how horrible it was to deprive kids of the Disney experience and that it should be a priority. 

WHAT?!?

Well I guess I can blame most, if not all of my problems on the fact that my parents couldn't afford to take me to Disneyland. Often I think about how my life would have been different, fuller, richer, funner if only they had thought about taking us to see the Disney castle instead of providing 3 square meals a day and shodding my little kid feet in warm boots to get me through the winter.
Disneyland blows my mind, and not in a wow, that is so cool kind of way. We have friends who have taken their 5 year old to Disneyland 8 times. Yes...8. They were going to take her this year at Christmas but she's just so over Disneyland and wanted more presents instead.  Every once in a while one of my kids will bring Disneyland up because someone they know is going, but if we're gonna shell out our hard earned money on a holiday, I'm going somewhere with awesome food, lazy beaches and warm weather, they are ok with the tradeoff.
Thats crazy. I also know of a family that is really struggleling but every year goes to Disney, their kid isnt even 5 yet so will likely not even remember much of it later. Tsk tsk tsk. (Lol)
On the other hand, i took my kid for his 9th bday for 3 full days and it was AMAZING. However, his bday is off season (but still nice enough weather imo) do super steep discounts for a VERY sprecial memory(we had it rough the prior 2 years )
I went to Disney land in LA when I was 11, the family and I preferred Knotsberry Farm (or however it is/was spelt).  I don't remember much, except that if I were to ever (extremely unlikely) to go Disney land or whatever other incarnation I will stay away from the "It's a small world" ride... That song is extremely annoying.  I also remember the long lines of fat people (We have lots of fat/obese people here including myself, but I think there is less of the extreme obesity, or it could just be that they all congregated around Disney land or it is a child perception).

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #765 on: September 06, 2014, 12:08:02 PM »
At that point, the Navy will offer her about $10K-$25K/year bonus for signing up to stay on active duty for another 3-5 years.  Which option do you think she'll feel free to choose?

Mine was $125K for another 3 years. I ran away and haven't looked back once. People still ask me what I was thinking, and whether I regret it, but I think they just don't understand that money isn't everything. Or maybe you just have to spend a little time in the nuclear navy to understand exactly what you would be giving up. YMMV

Nookyuhler.... it's pronounced nookyuhler.
Is the poop deck really what I think it is?
No, and the stern sheets aren't related to toilet functions either...

Heads on 18th-century sailing vessels were best located up at the bow, just over the rail.  Square-rigged sailing ships back then took their wind from the stern or either side, so the "downwind" part of the ship is usually the bow.  Once steam propulsion took over, I'm not sure where the naval architects decided to put the heads.  I suspect that the USS CONSTITUTION has been retrofitted to comply with EPA requirements, too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poop_deck

Select members of the Polynesian Voyaging Society are currently enjoying a world cruise on their sailing canoes, and they have an EPA waiver for their toilet system:
http://www.pvs-hawaii.com/canoe/canoe_hokulea_daily.htm

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #766 on: September 07, 2014, 11:51:50 AM »
There is a teachers strike going on in my province at the moment and it's turning pretty ugly.   One of the government tactics was to declare that it saves $40 per kid every day it's not paying the teachers  to teach  so while the strike is on we'll give parents of the kids that qualify (age dependent mostly) that $40  tax free.     that's $160 so far and it's already looking like next week will be a write off as well....   

On facebook there are a bunch of people complaining about the $40.   Apparently they owe back taxes so the government will keep the $40 and apply it to what they owe.   Also because it's being used to pay their back taxes they'll be taxed on it like it's income.     My thought was well that sucks to not get the money I guess but perhaps you should try paying your taxes on time...     

A bunch of them have decided however that because they're not going to get the money and it will count as income they won't apply for it at all.   None of these people seem to be in an income bracket where they're at risk of moving into a higher tax bracket.   The tax on the $40 will be deducted at the time that it's taken by the government and there debt will magically be reduced by about $30 per day until the kids go back to school.   This is a god send for some of them and they're refusing to take it because it's not cash being placed into their hand...

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #767 on: September 07, 2014, 01:32:29 PM »
I have a distant cousin who started a Go Fund Me site to raise $500 for her college education.  On the site, she wrote that she is "a 24 year old who is fighting for a better life".  Of course, the site posted recurring invitations to donate.  The last time I checked, she had raised 0% of her goal.

A couple weeks ago, she posted pictures of her new (used) car.  A corvette!  I haven't seen anymore invitations from Go Fund Me since then.

ScienceSexSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #768 on: September 07, 2014, 03:22:48 PM »
I love this modern notion that money applied to debt isn't money.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #769 on: September 07, 2014, 04:10:18 PM »
And the comments are -

"Ha, $9000 in savings."
"Yah... no. With two degrees, the initial page already tells me I'm F@cked. So no. Fix your marketing scheme."
"HAHAHA nobody at age 26 today will ever be able to retire in america..."
"Who's 26 and has $9K in savings?! I would love to meet them."
"So by my age I'm supposed to have an *investment portfolio* and $9000 in the bank? Yeah, my mommy and daddy couldn't pay my way through college, so I have $80,000 in student loan debt instead."

Not all of them are bad...but c'mon!

24 year old recent grad here with a degree from an overpriced fancy shmancy school. Still have some of those loans left, but I also have $6.7k in my 401k (only been eligible for 1 year at my company) and just under $4k in the bank. I'd be willing to bet that by my 26th birthday, I'll have 9k in the bank, or, more likely, in a Roth IRA or some other investment. My SL will be paid off, and my 401k will be worth even more. Suck it, whiny Facebook people!

Haha, I'm sure you will! 25.5 year old here who started out with $40,000 in student loans making $38,000 a year at age 22 with $13,000 in the bank, now rid of student loans with $56,000 in investment accounts.

Hmmm.  At 26 I had just gotten  married.  I'd paid off my college loans, had about $7200 in IRAs and long term savings and probably as much in savings. Car paid off.  1/2 a master's degree done.  And this was 1996.

When I moved to CA and talked college loans with an older coworker, he said "you don't understand I have DEBT!"  I said "well, I joined the Navy, you could have done that."  "Oh no, I could NEVER have done that."  Well, okay then.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #770 on: September 07, 2014, 04:28:03 PM »
My FB feed is boring.  People mowing their own lawns, cooking their own meals, going to the zoo (annual membership), stripping and repainting old dressers to give them new life.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #771 on: September 07, 2014, 04:37:34 PM »
Anyway, I get a comment from someone I went to college with, asking "How the hell can you afford two vacations in such a short amount of time?!?!?!" I respond that vacation one was a weekend trip to a friend's lakehouse, and vacation two is a drive up to Niagara Falls for a long weekend. His response? "Oh haahahaha, I thought you meant you were taking a REAL vacation." Meaning like the elaborate cruse he just took, or a trip to Disney, etc. Is a long weekend away not considered a vacation?

You would have to pay me to go on a cruise or to disney world.  Your holidays sound far better.
I agree.  We've had a few vacations this year, all within driving distance (I will admit that our first trip to Disneyland was on that list).

But two of them were camping trips (one of them 20 miles up the road).  We are trying to figure out if we should go somewhere at Thanksgiving, so I'm looking at 1/2 week of "staycation" and 1/2 week of camping somewhere nearby.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #772 on: September 09, 2014, 07:48:54 PM »
Someone posted a picture of boxed water.  The comments range from "this is so much better than water in plastic water bottles" to "my kids love them."  No one mentioned that tap water is cheaper.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #773 on: September 09, 2014, 07:58:56 PM »
Boxed water? Is that like boxed wine?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #774 on: September 09, 2014, 08:01:56 PM »
Boxed water? Is that like boxed wine?

http://www.boxedwaterisbetter.com/

We started with the simple idea of creating a bottled water brand that is kinder to the environment and gives back.
We found that it shouldn’t be bottled at all but instead, boxed.
So we looked to the past for inspiration and decided to keep things simple, sustainable, and beautiful.

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #775 on: September 09, 2014, 11:12:56 PM »
The ultimate in greenwashing.

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #776 on: September 10, 2014, 11:10:09 AM »

Frizhand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #777 on: September 10, 2014, 11:37:49 AM »
Maybe you can help... A family in our town is looking for entertainment ideas on Facebook for her son's 5th birthday.  Since they've already had parties at all the local jumpy houses, play-places, etc. they have decided to rent a restored farm house (used for weddings, corporate events, etc.), have it catered and bring in entertainment (clowns, magician).  Any ideas?

Did I mention this is for a 5 year old?? 

senecando

• Bristles
« Reply #778 on: September 10, 2014, 04:14:19 PM »
Well, Frizhand, I think the obvious solution is to rent the farmhouse, bring in a petting zoo, and then keep the petting zoo, squat the barn and intensively farm the land until they make all their money back.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #779 on: September 10, 2014, 04:31:44 PM »
Maybe you can help... A family in our town is looking for entertainment ideas on Facebook for her son's 5th birthday.  Since they've already had parties at all the local jumpy houses, play-places, etc. they have decided to rent a restored farm house (used for weddings, corporate events, etc.), have it catered and bring in entertainment (clowns, magician).  Any ideas?

At 5, I think I would have been pretty happy with 2 cardboard boxes and some duct tape. And something terrible like hot dogs for food.

Frizhand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #780 on: September 11, 2014, 06:02:13 AM »

At 5, I think I would have been pretty happy with 2 cardboard boxes and some duct tape. And something terrible like hot dogs for food.

I think I was about that age when my parents gifted me a refrigerator box. AND IT WAS AWESOME. I loved that thing.

exactly.  My son (12) saw the post and said "I don't even remember what we did for my 5th birthday".  Even he understood how crazy this is.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #781 on: September 11, 2014, 10:12:35 AM »
Just saw this on my facebook.... it is a capital one ad...

Give yourself some credit – you deserve it. Build your credit with us

Then it say only takes a mintue to apply and intrest rate is at an alltime low on that card of only 29.9%

WOW

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #782 on: September 11, 2014, 11:21:25 AM »
Just saw this on my facebook.... it is a capital one ad...

Give yourself some credit – you deserve it. Build your credit with us

Then it say only takes a mintue to apply and intrest rate is at an alltime low on that card of only 29.9%

WOW

Wow, 29.9%!?!

I thought my discover card interest rate was high (17%), yikes.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #783 on: September 12, 2014, 05:44:56 PM »
Friend shows photo of herself:  Which do you like better?  I'm thinking the right one.
Friend 2:  You mean the right ... boob?
F:  Yes!  I'm getting an augmentation and was trying on different sizes.
(conversation continues about sizes)
F2:  So... how much does something like that cost?
F:  the quote was $9400
F2:  O.o  Wha...?
F:  Oh, it's not that bad. They have payment plans. It's like buying a car.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #784 on: September 12, 2014, 07:28:16 PM »
Friend shows photo of herself:  Which do you like better?  I'm thinking the right one.

Is it terrible that I'd consider doing this myself down the line? Probably not financed, though.

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #785 on: September 12, 2014, 07:37:21 PM »

Is it terrible that I'd consider doing this myself down the line? Probably not financed, though.

Still, you should probably pay a doctor to do it for you.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #786 on: September 12, 2014, 08:45:29 PM »

:)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #787 on: September 12, 2014, 08:47:43 PM »

+1 and
Maybe you could find a guy (or gal) to go halfsies?

farmstache

• Stubble
« Reply #788 on: September 12, 2014, 09:17:36 PM »
So I have read a lot of different posts on this thread and finally have one. I have heard of people purchasing events or activities while the new couple is on their honeymoon in lue of giving a wedding gift but I feel like this is too much. The items on their list are $50 increments to pay for their flights, dinners, and they even have a section for alcohol. Seriously?

"So we finally booked our honeymoon! Can't wait to explore what Europe has to offer with my amazing soon to be wife. If any of you are as excited as I am and would like to live vicariously through us, check out this link. But seriously, we appreciate anything to help make this trip as wonderful and adventurous as we hope it to be. ~ Dick and Jane

Jane & Dick's Honeymoon Registry
--
So far, the plan for this trip is to explore a little piece of what Europe has to offer. We'll be staying in Paris, Rome, and a 3rd TBD city. We want to be able to make the most out of our first week as husband and wife. Jeremy and I are so excited to be able to have this opportunity to do something we have really come to enjoy - exploring new cities. We're hoping to really take in all of the sights in the short time we're there. A trip to the Eiffel Tower. Espresso in a small cafe. Wine in Italy. Exploring the history, architecture, and beauty. But most importantly, we'll be enjoying the time with each other. "

I had a couple of friends add honeymoon activities to their wedding registry and really liked it. They didn't want any more "stuff" (there were a couple big items they still needed for their house, but mostly for grandparents and godfathers to get), and this was a cute way to contribute a cash gift. I never feel comfortable giving cash gifts so I really loved this option, and if they are my dear friends I'll enjoy seeing them get some extra fun on their trip (and even more if they actually save the money for something else).

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #789 on: September 13, 2014, 04:17:51 AM »

+1 and

Well. If I have this done, I'd want them both done and not just one.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #790 on: September 13, 2014, 06:54:22 AM »

Yeah, I wasn't judging the action so much as the financing - and the car comparison.

We need pictures
Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #791 on: September 15, 2014, 11:01:13 AM »

+1 and
One each?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #792 on: September 15, 2014, 11:12:41 AM »

+1 and
One each?

I'm glad you are enjoying my left boob.  Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 11:14:29 AM by dragoncar »

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #793 on: September 15, 2014, 12:19:14 PM »

+1 and
One each?

I'm glad you are enjoying my left boob.  Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

It was intended that fantabulous would get both but that her and her partner would each pay for half the procedure; see halfsies.  But if you all want to split them-one each -please dont let me stop you - they are your bodies; do as you like :-)

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #794 on: September 16, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
My FB feed is boring.  People mowing their own lawns, cooking their own meals, going to the zoo (annual membership), stripping and repainting old dressers to give them new life.

Emphasis mine. Seeing your FB friends stripping isn't boring!

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #795 on: September 19, 2014, 06:17:27 PM »
I'm in a gaming group on Facebook with about 30 people. Everyone on there is extremely excited about buying an upcoming game, Super Smash Brothers 3DS, but about half the people are also getting extremely excited about paying an extra $15 dollars each for plastic toys that can interface with the game. There will be ten available at launch but more released later. The game is going to cost me $60 already (paid for with vouchers like a good moustache!), I can't fathom spending another two and a half times that on clutter to give me a slightly different play experience.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #796 on: September 19, 2014, 07:43:26 PM »
I'm in a gaming group on Facebook with about 30 people. Everyone on there is extremely excited about buying an upcoming game, Super Smash Brothers 3DS, but about half the people are also getting extremely excited about paying an extra $15 dollars each for plastic toys that can interface with the game. There will be ten available at launch but more released later. The game is going to cost me $60 already (paid for with vouchers like a good moustache!), I can't fathom spending another two and a half times that on clutter to give me a slightly different play experience.

One of my friends always buys those limited edition versions of the game that has extra plastic toys liked you talked about. And he buys a ton of games. He also lives in a nice house and I'm pretty sure he's up to his eyeballs with mortgage (although it's possible that he's not). He lives only with his wife in a single family home with like 3 bedrooms. He and his wife live 20 miles from work, and they both commute separately via car. And they don't exactly have high paying jobs.
It's possible he's independently wealthy...but that's statistically unlikely.

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #797 on: September 19, 2014, 10:02:46 PM »
It's almost like people have different hobbies.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #798 on: September 20, 2014, 10:45:16 AM »
"Played more pull tabs, now up $80!!! Can blow my paycheck bc of triple paycheck month and now I'm making money. Perfect bday. Shots are now being bought!"

I love this guy but LOL, what a view of your three-paycheck month

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #799 on: September 21, 2014, 12:04:24 AM »
Friend from HS is posting about Academy of Art University and Adobe licenses getting pulled.  Mentions that she owes "a HOUSE" in student loans to AAU, where she got a graduate degree.

I have been so perpetually puzzled by this woman's decision to get this degree (well before this most recent posting).  When we were in HS, she seemed like a smart person who had her sh*t together.  She had been out of school and working for a few years when she decided to do the degree, so I have a hard time believing she was totally ignorant about debt the way an 18 (or even 22) year old might be.  Just one of those things that makes me tilt my head to the side and go "whaaaaaaaaaat?".  Of course, she's also one of those people who's always playing whatever the newest dumb facebook game is, so maybe she played a few too many and it fried her brain....