Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082234 times)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #7250 on: February 27, 2018, 12:42:34 PM »
I overheard this on Facebook a few weeks ago:

Friend: You know it's Monday morning for everyone when you have to drive to three drive-thrus before someone actually has breakfast ready.

When someone mentioned she should just cook breakfast at home? "No time."

Yet there is time to visit three drive-thrus... !
ha ha ha this one is funny

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7251 on: February 27, 2018, 01:41:17 PM »
As for Prime, I’m grandfathered in on a family plan, so I get the free shipping without the media content, so I can’t comment on the content, just the shipping.  5-6 years ago it was worth it.  Now?  Not so much.  They very often require a minimum $25 spend (yes, with prime) and in my rural area 2 days shipping was promised but usually 5-7 days.

(Is it possible that the minimum spend thing is just for family members, not for the main account holder?)
That seems to probably be it.  I've had Prime since 2008 and I don't have any minimums.  Also, since 2016 most of what I've ordered has been free same or next day shipping.  I'll never forget my first same-day package: My ancient wifi router died overnight, I woke up and figured that out, researched a sensible replacement, and ordered it around 9am.  We had to go somewhere for the day and by the time I got back home at 4pm, the router was on my doorstep waiting for me.  On a Sunday.  I was blown away.  Why would you ever go to a store?

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7252 on: February 27, 2018, 01:54:42 PM »
As for Prime, I’m grandfathered in on a family plan, so I get the free shipping without the media content, so I can’t comment on the content, just the shipping.  5-6 years ago it was worth it.  Now?  Not so much.  They very often require a minimum $25 spend (yes, with prime) and in my rural area 2 days shipping was promised but usually 5-7 days.

(Is it possible that the minimum spend thing is just for family members, not for the main account holder?)
That seems to probably be it.  I've had Prime since 2008 and I don't have any minimums.  Also, since 2016 most of what I've ordered has been free same or next day shipping.  I'll never forget my first same-day package: My ancient wifi router died overnight, I woke up and figured that out, researched a sensible replacement, and ordered it around 9am.  We had to go somewhere for the day and by the time I got back home at 4pm, the router was on my doorstep waiting for me.  On a Sunday.  I was blown away.  Why would you ever go to a store?

Interesting.  I’ll look into the details if I’m again in a position to need more Amazon.  The shift happened gradually.  I remember amazement at 2 day delivery in my rural area years ago, but by the time I moved to a city (near a big distribution center) packages arrived in 5-7 days reguardless of being labeled 2 day.

——

To stay on topic:

I got on facebook today... and saw a woman who I met in Paris when we were both taking some University classes.  She was miserable.  She hated it.  She trashed talked everyone there (and me too behind my back!).  She had her boyfriend’s mom buy her a new ticket home so she couldn’t leave a couple days earlier than initially planned... This was a couple years ago.  Today she updated her facebook photo to be one of a group of us along the Seine.  So I clicked... and she has posted photos at increments since that trip.  I think she has some people convinced that she lives in Paris.  It’s really strange.  I recognize those photos.  I was there!  It was years ago.  Not last month. 

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7253 on: February 27, 2018, 04:28:10 PM »
Ooh, when my first was a baby just home from the hospital we tried the free Google express trial. We had boxes showing up at least once a day for the first two weeks. It was great,  it not something my husband was willing to pay for. :)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7254 on: February 27, 2018, 04:32:20 PM »
Ooh, when my first was a baby just home from the hospital we tried the free Google express trial. We had boxes showing up at least once a day for the first two weeks. It was great,  it not something my husband was willing to pay for. :)
No more membership, @ysette9

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7255 on: February 28, 2018, 09:13:47 AM »
I don't have Prime. I get free shipping by ordering enough to qualify. What am I missing?

I use it for streaming since we don't have cable and also the free music and book downloads.

Prime also includes unlimited photo storage. I have 10,000+ photos stored in their cloud as a third backup, always accessible from an app on my phone.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #7256 on: February 28, 2018, 09:15:57 AM »
https://m.news-mail.com.au/news/grandpa-claims-his-140k-lottery-win-ruined-his-lif/3346455/

This popped up on my Facebook feed today via a mustachian Facebook page.

Old dude on disability pension won 80,000 pounds. Blew it all in a matter of weeks on holidays, renovations and giving away the rest to family.

Welfare department saw his bank records and cancelled his pension.

He's now complaining saying what a nightmare it is.

I am struggling to have any sympathy at all.

Less than two months!

And the quotes from the wife!

She said: "There are people winning millions of pounds and we just get a bit of luck and all of a sudden, we are punished for it.

"We helped our neighbour and friends out with some cash.

"We gave it to our family and have nothing left. We paid for three family holidays - a cruise and two big trips to Benidorm.

"We got the kitchen and hall decorated and the bathroom and living room are to be done. There is nothing left.

‎ಠ_ಠ

Well yeah there's nothing left. It wasn't a fountain of money. It was a specific amount and you spent it all.

I don't feel bad for these people one bit. Stupidity shouldn't be coddled.

It does raise the question as to whether the short-term benefit and boost in standard of living was worth the long-term inconvenience of losing his disability pension.

Lots of people who play the lottery have ideas about what they'd do if they won "big", but they don't really think about how they'd manage if they won "little". Depending on where they live, taxes may be due on their winnings and the amount they have to work with may not be as much as they think. It's even more important to consider the impact of non-monetary winnings such as cars or travel packages because the dollar value may be taxable as well and if the winner can't afford the taxes out of cash flow it can get ugly.

moderate_moderate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard on Facebook-Barbra Streisand Cloned Her Dogs. For $50k You Can Too
« Reply #7257 on: February 28, 2018, 09:40:15 AM »
Barbra Streisand Cloned Her Dogs. For $50,000, You Can Clone Yours.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/science/barbra-streisand-clone-dogs.html

In case you needed another way to spend your money. With all of the dogs in the world who need homes, why clone one?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7258 on: February 28, 2018, 09:44:50 AM »
I hate lotteries - and gambling in general. SO many people who don't understand how to manage potential winnings wind up in trouble like the retirees in the article. Families that tear themselves apart over greed and envy. Substance abuse. Parasite friends and family appearing from all over with a hand out. It gets ugly.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7259 on: February 28, 2018, 10:23:48 AM »
I have Prime because my parents could add my account to theirs for free. I only get the free shipping, not all the media, but it's great. My account is completely separate to theirs, so if anyone's thinking about it couldn't you team up with a friend or family member to share the cost?

Re: berries: I have my grocery list for things I want to buy that time, but I also have a standing grocery list for things it's always OK to buy. Almost all of it is cupboard items that will keep (pasta, noodles, peanut butter, tinned beans) but there are a few fresh things on it. Apples are the one that spring to mind - they just WILL get eaten, so if I see they're cheap I'll pick up a few bags, secure in the knowledge that they won't go to waste. So... I think it's important to distinguish between impulse purchases and unplanned but still legit purchases.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7260 on: February 28, 2018, 12:56:25 PM »
I have Prime because my parents could add my account to theirs for free. I only get the free shipping, not all the media, but it's great. My account is completely separate to theirs, so if anyone's thinking about it couldn't you team up with a friend or family member to share the cost?
It doesn’t work like that in the US any more (all financial data is shared) but was great while it lasted!

Xlar

• Bristles
« Reply #7261 on: February 28, 2018, 04:54:04 PM »
I’ll chime in that if you have the Target Red Card (which can be a debit card, for the credit card averse), you get free shipping on any sized order.  I used it quite a bit for bulk and staples when I was living without a car. Also, you have to be careful to search out their brand of products as the website shows name brand items first. 

They also had an easy return policy that was extended even longer for Red Card orders, so I had a nice long window to make returns though it was inconvenient to get to the store. ETA. Most items are returnable by mail, some just in store.  It’s very easy to miss that detail. 

——

If you don't get your item in two days you should complain. It's really easy through the chat window and they seem to always give you 1 month free membership as compensation!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7262 on: March 01, 2018, 08:05:20 AM »
I’ll chime in that if you have the Target Red Card (which can be a debit card, for the credit card averse), you get free shipping on any sized order.  I used it quite a bit for bulk and staples when I was living without a car. Also, you have to be careful to search out their brand of products as the website shows name brand items first. 

They also had an easy return policy that was extended even longer for Red Card orders, so I had a nice long window to make returns though it was inconvenient to get to the store. ETA. Most items are returnable by mail, some just in store.  It’s very easy to miss that detail. 

——

If you don't get your item in two days you should complain. It's really easy through the chat window and they seem to always give you 1 month free membership as compensation!
Sometimes they even go beyond that.  I ordered a $40 video game one time that arrived a day late and after complaining, they extended my Prime membership AND refunded the $40 for the game.  All for a fucking video game, which is the least urgent thing in the world.

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7263 on: March 03, 2018, 07:20:12 PM »
Hey AnnaGrowsAMustache, I'm really wanting some self stick vinyl for several projects, but have found it to be very expensive.  Any sources you would be willing to share to get a great deal on it?

Thanks!

I get mine from AliExpress. It doesn't seem to be a big site in the states, but it's huge for the rest of the world. It's the small scale purchase arm of Alibaba. It's a site that manufacturers advertise products on directly, all based in China. Each manufacturer has a sales and product review and star system so you can see if they're reputable and easy to deal with. Just about anything in the world can be purchased on here. Couple of things to check - whatever you search, there will be MANY different varieties, qualities and prices, so make sure you've got what you want. Second, check and doublecheck the shipping rate, and also any import duties you might incur at your end. In my country, you don't get stung unless you order over a certain dollar value. Third, there are things available for purchase that may be illegal to bring into your country - I don't imagine vinyl is one of them, but you never know. Third, you're purchasing from a Chinese manufacturer, not from a site like Amazon, so IF there are issues you may have problems resolving them. I've used AliExpress hundreds of times, with no issues, but I've also never purchased anything over $50. You do use your CC through the site and that's completely reputable, so no worries there.

Have a look and see what you can find.

https://www.aliexpress.com/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AliExpress

PS, also check what you're buying. It's listed in price per "unit". But a unit can be 1m for one manufacturer and 10m for another.

I tried to buy something there and they didn't believe I was using my own credit card. They wanted proof it was me. Okay, that's fair... but I'm only going to send that information in a secure manner.

Did everyone who uses Alibaba/Aliexpress have to go through that?

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7264 on: March 03, 2018, 08:07:41 PM »
Never encountered that one. Did you go to the legit site?

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #7265 on: March 05, 2018, 12:10:12 AM »
No, never had a problem with payment. How much did you order?

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7266 on: March 05, 2018, 02:10:29 AM »

Only recently (like within the past year) since China tightened up regulations.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7267 on: March 05, 2018, 09:56:45 AM »
I ordered less then $5 and it went to.  Went back and tried to order about $25 worth and got the block unless I send a copy of my driver's license.  That is not gonna happen.  I'm sad that I won't be able to order from there again, but it is maybe for the best.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7268 on: March 05, 2018, 05:57:36 PM »
I ordered less then $5 and it went to.  Went back and tried to order about $25 worth and got the block unless I send a copy of my driver's license.  That is not gonna happen.  I'm sad that I won't be able to order from there again, but it is maybe for the best.

I've ordered from AE hundreds of time, incl over the last few months and never encountered this. I'm just using a Visa CC. Are you using something less common?

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7269 on: March 05, 2018, 08:00:11 PM »
I'm using a Chase Slate Visa.  Never had a problem with it before.  They suggested I use Western Union.  Nope.  Take my credit card.  Billing address for the card and shipping address for the merchandise are the same.  Should be no problem.  But, they want a picture of either my driver's license or my passport.  Not gonna happen.  Hello brick wall.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7270 on: March 05, 2018, 09:18:16 PM »
I wonder if it's something the seller has specified? Can you get the same product from another seller on AE?

I just spoke to a friend who runs a business selling stuff largely imported via Alibaba and AliExpress. He's never encountered payment problems either. He spends thousands at a time.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7271 on: March 06, 2018, 10:32:55 AM »
My order was a random assortment of travel items.  No one thing over $7.  At least 3 different sellers.  I'll give it a few weeks/months and try again.  I was logged I to my account with the site as well.

Kimera757

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7272 on: March 07, 2018, 04:51:27 AM »
One item for about $15.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7273 on: March 07, 2018, 06:05:55 AM »
Not on FB, but... I am always amazed at how someone will take a successful business, expand it too fast and make it collapse. It happens again and again. In this case, they blame "high rents and operational costs." But it's not like the landlord hits you with whatever rent they like each week, you signed a lease, so you knew what the costs would be. Likewise, after having 1-2 stores, you should have a pretty good idea of what the utilities, wages and so on would cost.

So this is people who did some combination of never taking note of their normal costs and being overly optimistic about their future income. As with households, so with businesses - except when a business makes stupid decisions, it's not just one person's family suffering.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-07/doughnut-time-retail-empire-crumbles---what-went-wrong/9521338

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7274 on: March 08, 2018, 12:19:54 PM »
Our buy nothing project group is sprouting again (we split from a larger group 7 months ago) because we have 1,500 members.  It's funny watching people throw hissy fits.  A number of people are making the "I don't want to play with you, I'm taking my toys and going home" posts.

Apparently people only want to get free stuff (or give it away) if it is a really large group.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7275 on: March 09, 2018, 10:02:15 AM »
A friend said he took an Uber to work rather than clean the snow off his car. :-|

But on the flip side, a friend who is coming to visit told me her budget in advance and asked me not to plan anything expensive :-)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 10:04:35 AM by Dollar Slice »

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7276 on: March 09, 2018, 01:06:13 PM »
How much snow are we talking?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7277 on: March 09, 2018, 01:20:47 PM »

As a Minnesotan, you would laugh so hard...he posted a pic. He would have had to shovel some snow behind the car that was just up to the bottom of the bumper. And push off the 6" that was on top of the car. Everything else was clear (mirrors, wheels, doors, etc.) because it melted some yesterday. The storm was on Wednesday.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #7278 on: March 09, 2018, 03:11:07 PM »
A friend said he took an Uber to work rather than clean the snow off his car. :-|

But on the flip side, a friend who is coming to visit told me her budget in advance and asked me not to plan anything expensive :-)

The other day I took the bus to work so I wouldn't have to dig out my car.  I think it was actually faster than doing the digging.  Almost the same. 😆

Actually a good experience because I was going to a clients house and hadn't realized how easy a bus ride it was before, so now I know I can do that any time.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 03:14:14 PM by druth »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7279 on: March 10, 2018, 12:44:04 PM »

As a Minnesotan, you would laugh so hard...he posted a pic. He would have had to shovel some snow behind the car that was just up to the bottom of the bumper. And push off the 6" that was on top of the car. Everything else was clear (mirrors, wheels, doors, etc.) because it melted some yesterday. The storm was on Wednesday.

I am laughing - but does he have the proper tools?  I have a heavy duty brush/scraper in the car, and a small shovel in the trunk.  You can tell I live in snow country.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7280 on: March 10, 2018, 01:14:57 PM »

I am laughing - but does he have the proper tools?  I have a heavy duty brush/scraper in the car, and a small shovel in the trunk.  You can tell I live in snow country.

He said he had a shovel. It's not a terribly snowy area but we do get snow a few times a winter on average.

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #7281 on: March 10, 2018, 04:08:03 PM »
Back to seen on FB..

It never ceases to amaze me when you see a person you know, who sponges off their parents (they are 29 years old). Works 15 hours a week, doesn't pay rent or cell phone and they go and buy a $50,000 SUV with all the bells and whistles to cart around 2 kids.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7282 on: March 10, 2018, 06:29:03 PM »
In a FB group I'm in which is dedicated to frugal grocery shopping.

I posted a cost comparison between the meal box I got (for free courtesy of a not-so-frugal friend) and ordering online delivery through a supermarket.

Difference (deliberately choosing no sale items) was $35. Meal box = $89, ordering = $54.

Reply from one of the group participants - "Yes but most people also impulse buy so it can work out better for them to get Hello Fresh or one of the others."

Yeah, nah. Point completely missed.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7283 on: March 10, 2018, 07:26:55 PM »
A friend bought a puppy just before Christmas last year (from a rescue shelter, at least, but still $800). It is definitely part labrador. She posted a few weeks ago that her & her husband just bought their new house.... because the dog out-grew their 2 bedroom apartment. (Duh, it's part labrador, it's not going to be an indoor dog). Aaand she posted today - the house they bought is 4 bed/2 bath home for $550,000, with a $40k deposit.

Tl;dr They're in a shit-tonne of debt because they impulse bought a dog that unsurprisingly outgrew their unit & "needed" to buy a bigger house.

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7284 on: March 10, 2018, 07:50:12 PM »
A friend bought a puppy just before Christmas last year (from a rescue shelter, at least, but still $800). It is definitely part labrador. She posted a few weeks ago that her & her husband just bought their new house.... because the dog out-grew their 2 bedroom apartment. (Duh, it's part labrador, it's not going to be an indoor dog). Aaand she posted today - the house they bought is 4 bed/2 bath home for $550,000, with a $40k deposit.

Tl;dr They're in a shit-tonne of debt because they impulse bought a dog that unsurprisingly outgrew their unit & "needed" to buy a bigger house.

I have a friend who lives in a tiny house with a full grown husky. The difference is the husky gets walked every morning and run 5km every night, as well as loooooooong hikes on the weekends.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7285 on: March 11, 2018, 03:44:34 AM »

I posted a cost comparison between the meal box I got (for free courtesy of a not-so-frugal friend) and ordering online delivery through a supermarket.

Difference (deliberately choosing no sale items) was $35. Meal box = $89, ordering = $54.

Reply from one of the group participants - "Yes but most people also impulse buy so it can work out better for them to get Hello Fresh or one of the others."

A work contact of mine just told me how much he and his girlfriend are saving on groceries by buying Lite n' Easy.

It's only costing them $360 a week, so with alcohol, takeaway coffee, etc, they're easily topping $400 a week for food.

Oh yeah, what a bargain.

>.<

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #7286 on: March 11, 2018, 09:10:50 PM »

A work contact of mine just told me how much he and his girlfriend are saving on groceries by buying Lite n' Easy.

It's only costing them $360 a week, so with alcohol, takeaway coffee, etc, they're easily topping $400 a week for food.

Oh yeah, what a bargain.

>.<

$360 a week?
How's that even possible?

I'm genuinely curious about this too. Are they even buying groceries, or eating takeout at every meal for that?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7287 on: March 12, 2018, 12:05:59 AM »

Oh yeah, what a bargain.

>.<

$360 a week?

I'm genuinely curious about this too. Are they even buying groceries, or eating takeout at every meal for that?

I mentioned it to a colleague. She used to order Lite n' Easy dinners for her elderly mother, and they were $12 each so it's easy to see how it would add up to $360 a week with breakfast and lunch.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7288 on: March 12, 2018, 01:46:46 AM »

Oh yeah, what a bargain.

>.<

$360 a week?

I mentioned it to a colleague. She used to order Lite n' Easy dinners for her elderly mother, and they were $12 each so it's easy to see how it would add up to $360 a week with breakfast and lunch.

Lite n Easy delivers breakfasts? Like how fucking difficult is it to pour oats and milk, and eat a banana?

The average 6 or 7 year old can do that :O

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7289 on: March 12, 2018, 03:30:15 AM »

Oh yeah, what a bargain.

>.<

$360 a week?

Lite n Easy delivers breakfasts? Like how fucking difficult is it to pour oats and milk, and eat a banana?

I don't know, oats and milk are too much for me at 5.30am. Vegemite toast all the way. :D

(For reference, I checked the latest Lite n' Easy menu, and it's not oats and milk. It's
nut cluster crunch with skim milk.)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7290 on: March 12, 2018, 03:32:40 AM »

Oh yeah, what a bargain.

>.<

$360 a week?

I don't know, oats and milk are too much for me at 5.30am. Vegemite toast all the way. :D

(For reference, I checked the latest Lite n' Easy menu, and it's not oats and milk. It's

That's like what, special oats and special milk?

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7291 on: March 12, 2018, 06:30:12 AM »
The main mall in my hometown has a Hello Kitty truck outside. People waited in line for four hours to buy this stuff.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7292 on: March 12, 2018, 08:58:40 AM »
Of course they wouldn't just order it off the internet later. Wow, the prices.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7293 on: March 12, 2018, 11:44:50 AM »
BlueHouse, the mind seriously boggles. I just...can't even. I absolutely understand that what you grew up with is normal (I remember The Day I Realised Not Everyone Has Non-Stick Pans) but I can barely begin to imagine the logistics involved with that many towels.

I know!  I laugh with my mom about it now and we both wonder "what was she thinking"!  It didn't seem strange in the least to me growing up, but once I had to start doing my own laundry, I learned that re-used towels wasn't that gross and I also figured out how to dry my body FIRST, then dry my hair.   Anyway, she says that's the way she grew up too, so she didn't think anything weird about it either.  I find that part very hard to understand though because I know she grew up without a dryer - so she must have done her fair share of hanging everyone's towels and washcloths, etc. 

p.s.  My mother used to also move every bed, every day, and vacuum underneath them.  She definitely wasn't doing that into my teen years, but I know she did it until I was at least 6.   It was the year she got a new vacuum cleaner from my father for Christmas.  He thought it would make her life so much easier because it was a canister vac that could reach under the beds without moving them! 

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #7294 on: March 12, 2018, 01:32:15 PM »

Oh yeah, what a bargain.

>.<

$360 a week?

That's like what, special oats and special milk?
Wow, I was gonna guess avacado toast and french vanilla latte to justify the cost, but cereal and milk? That's just urban robbery.

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7295 on: March 13, 2018, 04:37:38 AM »
The main mall in my hometown has a Hello Kitty truck outside. People waited in line for four hours to buy this stuff.

Wow wtf???

Wow indeed. In what place in the world is Hello Kitty something new that would cause 4 hour lines? (According to some sources, Hello Kitty arrived in the US in 1976! She's 40+ yo). Oh, now I see. It's "super cute merch." That would justify it.

I'm half incredulous at those who would stand in line for four hours and half impressed with the person who realized they could ride the Hello Kitty wave even longer (and avoid the price of opening a mall store) by using a "Merch truck". Well played.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7296 on: March 13, 2018, 08:07:36 AM »

Wow wtf???

Wow indeed. In what place in the world is Hello Kitty something new that would cause 4 hour lines? (According to some sources, Hello Kitty arrived in the US in 1976! She's 40+ yo). Oh, now I see. It's "super cute merch." That would justify it.

I'm half incredulous at those who would stand in line for four hours and half impressed with the person who realized they could ride the Hello Kitty wave even longer (and avoid the price of opening a mall store) by using a "Merch truck". Well played.

Guys, did you not see the part where if you spend $25, you get a FREE mini-tote?  Free!!!!!!!  LOL

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7297 on: March 13, 2018, 11:56:02 AM »
Waiting.in.line.for.hours - to buy stuff? No thanks. Benefits of not living in a big city. Not crowded enough here to create much of a line. 5 mins for a really popular movie if you choose a weeknight.

chouchouu

• Bristles
« Reply #7298 on: March 13, 2018, 08:20:44 PM »
I'm a member of some parenting groups which is where I learned about "after pay," a product for people so bad with money they can't get a credit card. People will mention things they have, always unnecessary and someone will comment asking if the retailer has "after pay." Things like $70 "bento" lunch boxes, 2k prams and the like.

A fb advertisement came up today for thermomix, 24 months interest free. I've heard these things are expensive so people are buying this overhyped blender/steamer on plans. All the comments were people commenting on what a great deal it is.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7299 on: March 13, 2018, 09:53:52 PM »
I'm a member of some parenting groups which is where I learned about "after pay," a product for people so bad with money they can't get a credit card. People will mention things they have, always unnecessary and someone will comment asking if the retailer has "after pay." Things like $70 "bento" lunch boxes, 2k prams and the like.

the people I know of who use afterpay often use it because they think its a better option than a credit card, as its interest free. they see it more as layby that you get instantly