Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 2252659 times)

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #700 on: August 17, 2014, 07:27:49 AM »
Insofar as wedding registries are concerned, I once received a wedding announcement which contained the words "No gifts, please" at the bottom. On the one hand, it may be a breach of etiquette to presume that someone would be sending a gift; on the other hand, it's classy to not use a wedding as a money/gift grab.

We did this. :) We still received some gifts, but they were in the bottle of wine, pot plant type category.

We were in our mid 30s and had everything we needed by the time we got married. We honestly wanted people to come for the celebration and not worry about what to buy us. My family came from 2000km away, so I figured actually getting to the event was enough of a financial impost on them.

We did something similar. On our wedding website we said our guests' presence was the best gift. We also had a link to a small registry of items so if someone did feel moved to get us something, they had a list to work with. We registered for hammocks and headlamps for our honeymoon to the jungle. :)

Most people gave cash, a few got gifts off the registry, and some took us at our word and came without a gift. We knew that some of our friends/family were struggling financially and we didn't want them to feel pressured ... We were just really glad to have the beloved people there either way!

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #701 on: August 17, 2014, 01:33:57 PM »
Someone on facebook was all excited about getting their second credit card.  The comments turned into a discussion on how to get another credit card when your credit is terrible. 

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #702 on: August 17, 2014, 11:42:33 PM »
Insofar as wedding registries are concerned, I once received a wedding announcement which contained the words "No gifts, please" at the bottom. On the one hand, it may be a breach of etiquette to presume that someone would be sending a gift; on the other hand, it's classy to not use a wedding as a money/gift grab.

We did this. :) We still received some gifts, but they were in the bottle of wine, pot plant type category.

We were in our mid 30s and had everything we needed by the time we got married. We honestly wanted people to come for the celebration and not worry about what to buy us. My family came from 2000km away, so I figured actually getting to the event was enough of a financial impost on them.
Pot plant?  That was some gift!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 11:44:17 PM by goldielocks »

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #703 on: August 17, 2014, 11:44:40 PM »
Pot plant?  That was some gift.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but it was awesome! Really good friends of ours bought us a kaffir lime tree in a pot. Unfortunately it bit the dirt when I went to Europe for a month for work and left my brown thumbed husband to care for it - apparently it didn't enjoy not being watered. But we had freshly picked kaffir lime leaves in our food for a couple of years. :)

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #704 on: August 17, 2014, 11:59:34 PM »
Pot plant?  That was some gift.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but it was awesome! Really good friends of ours bought us a kaffir lime tree in a pot. Unfortunately it bit the dirt when I went to Europe for a month for work and left my brown thumbed husband to care for it - apparently it didn't enjoy not being watered. But we had freshly picked kaffir lime leaves in our food for a couple of years. :)

Here, the term pot plant refers to marijuana.  It would be unusual but not out of the blue to have a well intentioned but misplaced gift of that sort....

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #705 on: August 18, 2014, 06:12:09 AM »
I think we all learned something about the British Colombian vs Australian culture today :-p  Maybe we all need to start typing with an accent so that these things are more apparent.
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

aclarridge

« Reply #706 on: August 18, 2014, 12:37:47 PM »

We did something similar. On our wedding website we said our guests' presence was the best gift. We also had a link to a small registry of items so if someone did feel moved to get us something, they had a list to work with. We registered for hammocks and headlamps for our honeymoon to the jungle. :)

Most people gave cash, a few got gifts off the registry, and some took us at our word and came without a gift. We knew that some of our friends/family were struggling financially and we didn't want them to feel pressured ... We were just really glad to have the beloved people there either way!

I wish we had done this. Most people gave us cash and I thought many folks gave way too much (not that they are struggling, it just seemed like a lot for a wedding gift in several cases).

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #707 on: August 20, 2014, 05:59:57 PM »
I wish we had done this. Most people gave us cash and I thought many folks gave way too much (not that they are struggling, it just seemed like a lot for a wedding gift in several cases).
[/quote]

What's the going rate these days anyway? 17 years ago when I got married, it was about $50 from most couples.

Last month I attended a young co-worker's very nice reception held downtown. Gave them $100 from my husband and I.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #708 on: August 20, 2014, 06:06:17 PM »

What's the going rate these days anyway? 17 years ago when I got married, it was about $50 from most couples.

Last month I attended a young co-worker's very nice reception held downtown. Gave them $100 from my husband and I.
[/quote]
I would say the going rate is $50/person so your $100 gift is fair.

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #709 on: August 20, 2014, 09:23:03 PM »
Saw this on Facebook today and thought you would all enjoy...

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #710 on: August 20, 2014, 09:28:12 PM »
Saw this on Facebook today and thought you would all enjoy...

I might have to steal this and put it back on FB.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #711 on: August 21, 2014, 06:35:55 AM »
My reaction followed the script exactly how text underneath the picture predicted...

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #712 on: August 21, 2014, 11:36:08 PM »
...there are many other organizations that have received money and were paying their people tons of money. Idk about you, but I feel like the salary of a nonprofit worker shouldn't be an insane amount.

At one time I would have agreed with you completely, but a while back I read this article and found the argument rather convincing: http://www.forbes.com/sites/investopedia/2013/01/23/is-a-one-million-dollar-nonprofit-ceo-salary-as-bad-as-it-sounds/ The argument is open-ended; it doesn't actually prescribe a number that is or isn't reasonable. But I think it raises an important question, of why we view a for-profit entity spending money to money to recruit talent and make a profit differently than a non-profit entity spending money to recruit talent and make a difference.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #713 on: August 22, 2014, 01:45:34 AM »
At one time I would have agreed with you completely, but a while back I read this article and found the argument rather convincing: http://www.forbes.com/sites/investopedia/2013/01/23/is-a-one-million-dollar-nonprofit-ceo-salary-as-bad-as-it-sounds/ The argument is open-ended; it doesn't actually prescribe a number that is or isn't reasonable. But I think it raises an important question, of why we view a for-profit entity spending money to money to recruit talent and make a profit differently than a non-profit entity spending money to recruit talent and make a difference.
Exactly. It's ridiculous that most people think a for-profit entity paying its CEO a million isn't just as problematic.

PloddingInsight

• Bristles
« Reply #714 on: August 22, 2014, 06:16:06 AM »
Exactly. It's ridiculous that most people think a for-profit entity paying its CEO a million isn't just as problematic.
How dare those CEOs earn a market wage for their rare skills!

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #715 on: August 22, 2014, 03:31:53 PM »
Anyone have a couple grand just laying around that they don't want anymore? Crap shoot....

He is 39 years old, why wouldn't he have a couple of grand lying around, it is so very sad to me that he doesn't.

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #716 on: August 22, 2014, 03:34:22 PM »
Anyone have a couple grand just laying around that they don't want anymore? Crap shoot....

He is 39 years old, why wouldn't he have a couple of grand lying around, it is so very sad to me that he doesn't.

Wonder if he wants to actually shoot craps with it?  Or if that's why he doesn't have 2k in the bank.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #717 on: August 22, 2014, 04:05:54 PM »
If you buy that then we're probably not sharing enough assumptions to have a conversation.

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #718 on: August 22, 2014, 06:59:45 PM »
If you buy that then we're probably not sharing enough assumptions to have a conversation.

No, No, No please try to have a conversation, it will be just like FaceBook - all very meta.

There are CEO's and there are CEO's, but I cant really say; is sort of a flip-flops & shorts environment where I punch a clock (at least on Friday, monday requires jeans and filp-flops).  I have no problem with the org's I give to paying a nice wadge to the Big Cheese - or competitive salaries to those who are needed to fulfill the mission. 

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #719 on: August 22, 2014, 09:01:21 PM »
My favorite is TWC CEO who got $80 million for 6 weeks of work.

No, No, No please try to have a conversation, it will be just like FaceBook - all very meta.

There are CEO's and there are CEO's, but I cant really say; is sort of a flip-flops & shorts environment where I punch a clock (at least on Friday, monday requires jeans and filp-flops).  I have no problem with the org's I give to paying a nice wadge to the Big Cheese - or competitive salaries to those who are needed to fulfill the mission.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #720 on: August 22, 2014, 09:31:21 PM »
There's scant evidence to prove that there's a positive correlation between CEO salary and company performance.  In fact the opposite may be the case, although neither may be causation.

My spouse was briefly the CEO of a non-profit that was paying a six-figure CEO salary.  (She donated hers to the non-profit.)  Most non-profits have enough problems that a CEO would have to be extremely well compensated to take the job, but no salary in the world would make up for the apathy and interference of the board of directors.

Our experience with various non-profits has cured us of volunteering for various non-profits.  I'm much happier being in control of my own non-profit project.
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement".   All royalties (and writing revenue) donated to military charities.
I don't read every post, so please PM or e-mail me to get my attention...

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #721 on: August 23, 2014, 12:07:25 PM »
@Nords: Watching the sausage get made or being part of making it is bad in any industry.  Worse in non-profit I cant say.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #722 on: August 23, 2014, 04:54:50 PM »
View previous replies (12 of 1412)

Bob Bobson: What you're foolishly overlooking is the P/E ratio in Ukrainian markets. I don't see why you can't understand this.
John Johnson: Oh, just the kind of smug elitism I'd expect from you. Next you'll be telling me I have to eat kale.
Bob Bobson: You know who else didn't eat kale? HITLER.
Jacob Jacobson: Godwin's Law! Godwin's Law! I win!
John Johnson: Corollary to the corollary of Godwin's Law! I win!
Jacob Jacobson Jr: this si gay
Ed Edson: What you're all neglecting is a baby's right to life. I don't see how you can be such monsters.
Bob Bobson Sr: pizza places
Bob Bobson Sr: best pizza places
Bob Bobson Sr: find pizza places
Bob Bobson: Dad, you're on Facebook again. Go back to Google.
Joe Joeson: Ron Paul 2012!

Write a comment...

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #723 on: August 25, 2014, 11:16:37 AM »
"One Direction tickets for Saturday, September 12 at Citgo Arena for sale. 4 tickets, Section 26, row 3. Asking $125 each."*

They were snapped up immediately.

* Details changed to protect the not-so-innocent.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #724 on: August 25, 2014, 01:45:23 PM »
"One Direction tickets for Saturday, September 12 at Citgo Arena for sale. 4 tickets, Section 26, row 3. Asking $125 each."*

I'm hoping you grabbed them! "You don't know you're beautiful!" (Did I get one of these pop references right?? I think that song's by them! I don't listen to the radio so these instances are few and far between...)
I blog on items flipped for a profit on eBay:
Flipping A Dollar

I made 6.5k in profits in 2015!

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #725 on: August 25, 2014, 01:51:44 PM »

[/quote]

All depends on the wedding venue. It used to be the per plate cost. Now that's most likely at $100 per person. Is $200 a lot? Depends on how much you like the person.... We were mad when one of our friends gave us $500 for our wedding. We just put it aside in a savings account and re-gifted for theirs 3 years later. BUT WE KEPT THE INTEREST!!!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA All $7 or whatever it ended up being...
Flipping A Dollar

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #726 on: August 25, 2014, 03:01:25 PM »

I'm hoping you grabbed them! "You don't know you're beautiful!" (Did I get one of these pop references right?? I think that song's by them! I don't listen to the radio so these instances are few and far between...)

Sorry, I don't know. I wouldn't be able to identify a One Direction song if it bit me in the ass. I consider that a point of pride. :)

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #727 on: August 26, 2014, 08:20:46 AM »
These r soup mugs they r only $15 for both. It is great in lunches the kids like to take cereal in them with milk in their cup. They like the handle it is easy to hold.

just saw this on facebook.... wow!  the comments had several people wanting two or four...

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #728 on: August 26, 2014, 09:25:42 AM »
These r soup mugs they r only $15 for both. It is great in lunches the kids like to take cereal in them with milk in their cup. They like the handle it is easy to hold.

just saw this on facebook.... wow!  the comments had several people wanting two or four...

Were they hand made by the person or something? Then I might be able to fathom it....
Flipping A Dollar

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #729 on: August 26, 2014, 09:30:24 AM »

Were they hand made by the person or something? Then I might be able to fathom it....

Nope tuperware... small too maybe 1/2 a cup each.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #730 on: August 26, 2014, 11:40:43 PM »

Tupperware plastic is so much easier to clean than other plastic, I actually think that concept sounds great, even for $15! Not for a measly 1/2 cup serve, though...

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #731 on: August 27, 2014, 07:51:54 AM »
Not found on Facebook but I think it still fits. This set of comments and replies was on a LinkedIn article about how making 6 figures can be a problem...

Original Poster  - Six figures isn't what it used to be!!
2nd Person - So true, six figures 30 years ago would make you very rich, now you someone who's doing well.
3rd Person - Got that right!

A six figure salary can still make you wealthy now if you don't spend it all and know how to manage it correctly. It is all about priorities.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 01:55:49 PM by boyerbt »
Act. Your. Wage.

There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work and learning from failure

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #732 on: August 27, 2014, 10:49:16 AM »

Tupperware plastic is so much easier to clean than other plastic, I actually think that concept sounds great, even for $15! Not for a measly 1/2 cup serve, though...

My local grocery store had ceramic ones on sale... 2 for $5 (you had to buy 2, otherwise it was $3.50 each). A friend and I took advantage of it and each got one. Those things are super handy and I love mine... but $2.50.

Come to think of it, they may not have been ceramic. I've knocked mine off the counter a few times and it hasn't broken. I love mine, but I wouldn't have spent $7.50 for it.

Researcher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #733 on: August 27, 2014, 11:37:49 AM »
Have you guys seen the FutureAdvisor ads on Facebook? The comments are so bad! I don't know how good Future Advisor's free advice is, but people shut them down before even trying.

They look like this:

And the comments are -

"Ha, $9000 in savings."
"Yah... no. With two degrees, the initial page already tells me I'm F@cked. So no. Fix your marketing scheme."
"HAHAHA nobody at age 26 today will ever be able to retire in america..."
"Who's 26 and has $9K in savings?! I would love to meet them."
"So by my age I'm supposed to have an *investment portfolio* and $9000 in the bank? Yeah, my mommy and daddy couldn't pay my way through college, so I have $80,000 in student loan debt instead."

Not all of them are bad...but c'mon!

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #734 on: August 27, 2014, 12:00:22 PM »
And the comments are -

"Ha, $9000 in savings."
"Yah... no. With two degrees, the initial page already tells me I'm F@cked. So no. Fix your marketing scheme."
"So by my age I'm supposed to have an *investment portfolio* and $9000 in the bank? Yeah, my mommy and daddy couldn't pay my way through college, so I have $80,000 in student loan debt instead."

24 year old recent grad here with a degree from an overpriced fancy shmancy school. Still have some of those loans left, but I also have $6.7k in my 401k (only been eligible for 1 year at my company) and just under $4k in the bank. I'd be willing to bet that by my 26th birthday, I'll have 9k in the bank, or, more likely, in a Roth IRA or some other investment. My SL will be paid off, and my 401k will be worth even more. Suck it, whiny Facebook people!

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #735 on: August 27, 2014, 01:33:15 PM »
"Ready for my 24 day Advocare(?) cleanse to jumpstart my weight loss! *Lists herbal cleanse juices and meal replacement bars/shakes* Only $180 for the whole system!"

I've hung out with this woman and her daughter (also doing the cleanse) at church, they are both fat because they eat GARBAGE most of the time. The same woman who was posting about hoping to find a job but also went to Europe somehow.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #736 on: August 27, 2014, 04:04:18 PM »
I am the computer guy in the familly...  Today my cousin messages me through facebook because she is having issues with her printer.  I give her some advise, which she can and does try on her own.  It doesnt work, so I let her know that I can swing buy tonight and give her a hand.  She replies that i need not bother.  She has thrown both of them out and is headed to Futureshop to get new ones.  It was time to replace them anyways, they were almost 6 months old.

OMG... she has also recently posted that she is happy that "pony" has come out with fingernail polish to match her mustang...

swashbucklinstache

• Stubble
« Reply #737 on: August 27, 2014, 04:36:21 PM »
And the comments are -

"Ha, $9000 in savings."

24 year old recent grad here with a degree from an overpriced fancy shmancy school. Still have some of those loans left, but I also have $6.7k in my 401k (only been eligible for 1 year at my company) and just under $4k in the bank. I'd be willing to bet that by my 26th birthday, I'll have 9k in the bank, or, more likely, in a Roth IRA or some other investment. My SL will be paid off, and my 401k will be worth even more. Suck it, whiny Facebook people!

Haha, I'm sure you will! 25.5 year old here who started out with $40,000 in student loans making $38,000 a year at age 22 with $13,000 in the bank, now rid of student loans with $56,000 in investment accounts.
hey hey

Savin' like i got a cape on

My journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/me

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #738 on: August 27, 2014, 08:22:45 PM »

[/quote]

Haha, I'm sure you will! 25.5 year old here who started out with $40,000 in student loans making $38,000 a year at age 22 with $13,000 in the bank, now rid of student loans with $56,000 in investment accounts.
[/quote]
Keep spreading the word....candles in the darkness!

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #739 on: August 28, 2014, 09:17:44 AM »
Have you guys seen the FutureAdvisor ads on Facebook? The comments are so bad! I don't know how good Future Advisor's free advice is, but people shut them down before even trying.

They look like this:

And the comments are -

"Ha, $9000 in savings."

At 26 I had well over that in my 401k but definitely not in savings. I was very fortunate though and only had 1 year of SL. My parents paid and all of my internships/co-ops (3 of them) paychecks went straight to my tuition.
Flipping A Dollar

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #740 on: August 28, 2014, 10:04:36 AM »
Playing Devil's advocate...

I am 28 so I graduated at the height of the recession 2009 and did not find a job until I was 25 1/2. I immediately contributed to the 401K so that would have given me $8K in savings after a year, and $30k of student loan debt. So while its not totally impossible to have money saved by then, if you aren't lucky enough to live in a booming jobs city like mine it might have taken longer to find a job and get started saving while paying off massive student loans.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #741 on: August 29, 2014, 08:23:03 PM »
Just saw this, from a former schoolmate who always complains about how tight money is and how much she hates living in her apartment:

Just to go to a wedding. Buying a dress runs close to $200, shoes, if needed close to $100, nails and pedi $50, hair $150 if he needs a new suit about $400 then $$ for the envelope, $250 at the minimum. NY living is not cheap. Not to mention a babysitter @ $15/hr.

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #742 on: August 29, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »
Playing Devil's advocate...

I am 28 so I graduated at the height of the recession 2009 and did not find a job until I was 25 1/2. I immediately contributed to the 401K so that would have given me $8K in savings after a year, and $30k of student loan debt. So while its not totally impossible to have money saved by then, if you aren't lucky enough to live in a booming jobs city like mine it might have taken longer to find a job and get started saving while paying off massive student loans.

Yes.  Lets remember no one is trying to be broke.  Some have made poorer financial choices than others but many have had shit luck, and many more have not heard the gospel of MMM or frugality.  Many have embraced the immediate gratification that has been so strongly pushed on them with its 23% compounding interest.  Lets try to have a small chuckle here but remember not everyone has been saved yet and we are all fortunate to have had some quark of fate show us the path.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #743 on: August 30, 2014, 12:05:11 AM »
I'm Facebook friends with one of my daughter's Navy friends, and I'm watching her spend her way merrily through her 20s.  She has a steady job and will probably be in it for at least another two years.  She's due for a promotion in another 12-16 months and has probably mentally already spent it.

She's paying off about $25K in student loans at the minimum required payment, perhaps with the thought of someday qualifying for PSLF.  In the last year (since coming off sea duty) she's bought a brand-new pickup truck, a dog (from the shelter) with some medical problems, and a boyfriend.  (At least one of those has also come with another loan.)  Today's rumor is that she bought a motorcycle.  She's in Navy training enroute her next sea-duty tour so there are several nights out every week-- drinking, dancing, concerts.  The guy might be Boyfriend Of The Year material but when I see their facial expressions in their FB photos my reflex reaction is "Ruh-roh."

At the end of this next two-year sea-duty tour she'll have finished her five-year active-duty obligation and will be free to move to the Reserves or make a clean break for the civilian world.  At that point, the Navy will offer her about $10K-$25K/year bonus for signing up to stay on active duty for another 3-5 years.  Which option do you think she'll feel free to choose?

She's hung out with our daughter, spent a few days at our house, and understands that my spouse and I retired early.  She just doesn't see how that applies to her...
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement".   All royalties (and writing revenue) donated to military charities.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #744 on: August 30, 2014, 02:17:29 AM »

She's paying off about $25K in student loans at the minimum required payment, perhaps with the thought of someday qualifying for PSLF.  In the last year (since coming off sea duty) she's bought a brand-new pickup truck, a dog (from the shelter) with some medical problems, and a boyfriend.  (At least one of those has also come with another loan.)  Today's rumor is that she bought a motorcycle.  She's in Navy training enroute her next sea-duty tour so there are several nights out every week-- drinking, dancing, concerts.  The guy might be Boyfriend Of The Year material but when I see their facial expressions in their FB photos my reflex reaction is "Ruh-roh."

She bought a boyfriend? Those modern girls… :)

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #745 on: August 30, 2014, 12:53:21 PM »
She's hung out with our daughter, spent a few days at our house, and understands that my spouse and I retired early.  She just doesn't see how that applies to her...

20 year pension?  Retire by 45 sounds pretty sweet.

ScienceSexSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #746 on: August 30, 2014, 07:32:55 PM »
"Ready for my 24 day Advocare(?) cleanse to jumpstart my weight loss! *Lists herbal cleanse juices and meal replacement bars/shakes* Only $180 for the whole system!"

Don't even get me started about Isagenix... something like $300 for a month, has you eating weird shakes and magical soups, includes such lovely bullshit as "healthy chocolate" that helps with your weight loss, etc. A Facebook friend did it earlier this year and went on and on about her cravings going away, not needing her chocolate anymore, how she was going to have to go shopping for all kinds of new clothes, posted the obligatory bikini and scale photos, the whole works. I think there's some sort of referral program too, because she was really, really pushing for people to join her on her "journey." I've seen her posting about eating chocolate again already, so I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up needing another round. I unfriended her.
Astoundingly, my ability to do basic math is not impeded by the presence of a dollar sign in front of the numbers.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #747 on: August 30, 2014, 10:45:17 PM »

I think she rents them.  Or burns through them very quickly and has to replace them.  Either way the turnover is pretty high-- it's what you get for dating a sailor...

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #748 on: September 01, 2014, 03:16:38 AM »

I think she rents them.  Or burns through them very quickly and has to replace them.  Either way the turnover is pretty high-- it's what you get for dating a sailor...

Had to go back to the beginning of this. My first thought was "What? That doesn't sound like Nord's daughter." Whew! Glad it's not!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #749 on: September 01, 2014, 12:16:57 PM »

Had to go back to the beginning of this. My first thought was "What? That doesn't sound like Nord's daughter." Whew! Glad it's not!
Good point-- I'm glad you brought it up!

I haven't asked and my daughter hasn't volunteered.  She didn't seem very impressed by the dating gene pools in high school or college, and it'll be interesting to see who she finds out there in the fleet.  (I keep teasing her that neither of her parents learned our lessons about dating sailors.)  Of course my daughter's FB posts seem to indicate that she's getting in her quota of drinking, dancing, & concerts, and she should enjoy it now before her deployment starts. 

But my daughter is certainly watching this other woman live her life, and my daughter has learned a lot from those observations.  The actions are speaking far louder than my words ever could.

The whole idea is to have enough financial independence so that your employer can only bribe you with your cheerful consent instead of via fiscal coercion.