Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081876 times)

Ian

• Bristles
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #700 on: August 22, 2014, 04:05:54 PM »
Exactly. It's ridiculous that most people think a for-profit entity paying its CEO a million isn't just as problematic.
How dare those CEOs earn a market wage for their rare skills!
If you buy that then we're probably not sharing enough assumptions to have a conversation.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #701 on: August 22, 2014, 06:59:45 PM »
Exactly. It's ridiculous that most people think a for-profit entity paying its CEO a million isn't just as problematic.
If you buy that then we're probably not sharing enough assumptions to have a conversation.

No, No, No please try to have a conversation, it will be just like FaceBook - all very meta.

There are CEO's and there are CEO's, but I cant really say; is sort of a flip-flops & shorts environment where I punch a clock (at least on Friday, monday requires jeans and filp-flops).  I have no problem with the org's I give to paying a nice wadge to the Big Cheese - or competitive salaries to those who are needed to fulfill the mission. 

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #702 on: August 22, 2014, 09:01:21 PM »
My favorite is TWC CEO who got $80 million for 6 weeks of work.

No, No, No please try to have a conversation, it will be just like FaceBook - all very meta.

There are CEO's and there are CEO's, but I cant really say; is sort of a flip-flops & shorts environment where I punch a clock (at least on Friday, monday requires jeans and filp-flops).  I have no problem with the org's I give to paying a nice wadge to the Big Cheese - or competitive salaries to those who are needed to fulfill the mission.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #703 on: August 22, 2014, 09:31:21 PM »
There's scant evidence to prove that there's a positive correlation between CEO salary and company performance.  In fact the opposite may be the case, although neither may be causation.

My spouse was briefly the CEO of a non-profit that was paying a six-figure CEO salary.  (She donated hers to the non-profit.)  Most non-profits have enough problems that a CEO would have to be extremely well compensated to take the job, but no salary in the world would make up for the apathy and interference of the board of directors.

Our experience with various non-profits has cured us of volunteering for various non-profits.  I'm much happier being in control of my own non-profit project.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #704 on: August 23, 2014, 12:07:25 PM »
@Nords: Watching the sausage get made or being part of making it is bad in any industry.  Worse in non-profit I cant say.

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #705 on: August 23, 2014, 04:54:50 PM »
View previous replies (12 of 1412)

Bob Bobson: What you're foolishly overlooking is the P/E ratio in Ukrainian markets. I don't see why you can't understand this.
John Johnson: Oh, just the kind of smug elitism I'd expect from you. Next you'll be telling me I have to eat kale.
Bob Bobson: You know who else didn't eat kale? HITLER.
Jacob Jacobson: Godwin's Law! Godwin's Law! I win!
John Johnson: Corollary to the corollary of Godwin's Law! I win!
Jacob Jacobson Jr: this si gay
Ed Edson: What you're all neglecting is a baby's right to life. I don't see how you can be such monsters.
Bob Bobson Sr: pizza places
Bob Bobson Sr: best pizza places
Bob Bobson Sr: find pizza places
Bob Bobson: Dad, you're on Facebook again. Go back to Google.
Joe Joeson: Ron Paul 2012!

Write a comment...

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #706 on: August 25, 2014, 11:16:37 AM »
"One Direction tickets for Saturday, September 12 at Citgo Arena for sale. 4 tickets, Section 26, row 3. Asking $125 each."*

They were snapped up immediately.

* Details changed to protect the not-so-innocent.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #707 on: August 25, 2014, 01:45:23 PM »
"One Direction tickets for Saturday, September 12 at Citgo Arena for sale. 4 tickets, Section 26, row 3. Asking $125 each."*

I'm hoping you grabbed them! "You don't know you're beautiful!" (Did I get one of these pop references right?? I think that song's by them! I don't listen to the radio so these instances are few and far between...)

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #708 on: August 25, 2014, 01:51:44 PM »
I wish we had done this. Most people gave us cash and I thought many folks gave way too much (not that they are struggling, it just seemed like a lot for a wedding gift in several cases).

What's the going rate these days anyway? 17 years ago when I got married, it was about $50 from most couples.

Last month I attended a young co-worker's very nice reception held downtown. Gave them $100 from my husband and I.
[/quote]

All depends on the wedding venue. It used to be the per plate cost. Now that's most likely at $100 per person. Is $200 a lot? Depends on how much you like the person.... We were mad when one of our friends gave us $500 for our wedding. We just put it aside in a savings account and re-gifted for theirs 3 years later. BUT WE KEPT THE INTEREST!!!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA All $7 or whatever it ended up being...

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #709 on: August 25, 2014, 03:01:25 PM »

I'm hoping you grabbed them! "You don't know you're beautiful!" (Did I get one of these pop references right?? I think that song's by them! I don't listen to the radio so these instances are few and far between...)

Sorry, I don't know. I wouldn't be able to identify a One Direction song if it bit me in the ass. I consider that a point of pride. :)

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #710 on: August 26, 2014, 08:20:46 AM »
These r soup mugs they r only $15 for both. It is great in lunches the kids like to take cereal in them with milk in their cup. They like the handle it is easy to hold.

just saw this on facebook.... wow!  the comments had several people wanting two or four...

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #711 on: August 26, 2014, 09:25:42 AM »
These r soup mugs they r only $15 for both. It is great in lunches the kids like to take cereal in them with milk in their cup. They like the handle it is easy to hold.

just saw this on facebook.... wow!  the comments had several people wanting two or four...

Were they hand made by the person or something? Then I might be able to fathom it....

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #712 on: August 26, 2014, 09:30:24 AM »

Were they hand made by the person or something? Then I might be able to fathom it....

Nope tuperware... small too maybe 1/2 a cup each.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #713 on: August 26, 2014, 11:40:43 PM »

Tupperware plastic is so much easier to clean than other plastic, I actually think that concept sounds great, even for $15! Not for a measly 1/2 cup serve, though...

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #714 on: August 27, 2014, 07:51:54 AM »
Not found on Facebook but I think it still fits. This set of comments and replies was on a LinkedIn article about how making 6 figures can be a problem...

Original Poster  - Six figures isn't what it used to be!!
2nd Person - So true, six figures 30 years ago would make you very rich, now you someone who's doing well.
3rd Person - Got that right!

A six figure salary can still make you wealthy now if you don't spend it all and know how to manage it correctly. It is all about priorities.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 01:55:49 PM by boyerbt »

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #715 on: August 27, 2014, 10:49:16 AM »

Tupperware plastic is so much easier to clean than other plastic, I actually think that concept sounds great, even for $15! Not for a measly 1/2 cup serve, though...

My local grocery store had ceramic ones on sale... 2 for $5 (you had to buy 2, otherwise it was $3.50 each). A friend and I took advantage of it and each got one. Those things are super handy and I love mine... but $2.50.

Come to think of it, they may not have been ceramic. I've knocked mine off the counter a few times and it hasn't broken. I love mine, but I wouldn't have spent $7.50 for it.

Researcher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #716 on: August 27, 2014, 11:37:49 AM »
Have you guys seen the FutureAdvisor ads on Facebook? The comments are so bad! I don't know how good Future Advisor's free advice is, but people shut them down before even trying.

They look like this:

And the comments are -

"Ha, $9000 in savings."
"Yah... no. With two degrees, the initial page already tells me I'm F@cked. So no. Fix your marketing scheme."
"HAHAHA nobody at age 26 today will ever be able to retire in america..."
"Who's 26 and has $9K in savings?! I would love to meet them."
"So by my age I'm supposed to have an *investment portfolio* and $9000 in the bank? Yeah, my mommy and daddy couldn't pay my way through college, so I have $80,000 in student loan debt instead."

Not all of them are bad...but c'mon!

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #717 on: August 27, 2014, 12:00:22 PM »
And the comments are -

"Ha, $9000 in savings."
"Yah... no. With two degrees, the initial page already tells me I'm F@cked. So no. Fix your marketing scheme."
"So by my age I'm supposed to have an *investment portfolio* and $9000 in the bank? Yeah, my mommy and daddy couldn't pay my way through college, so I have $80,000 in student loan debt instead."

24 year old recent grad here with a degree from an overpriced fancy shmancy school. Still have some of those loans left, but I also have $6.7k in my 401k (only been eligible for 1 year at my company) and just under $4k in the bank. I'd be willing to bet that by my 26th birthday, I'll have 9k in the bank, or, more likely, in a Roth IRA or some other investment. My SL will be paid off, and my 401k will be worth even more. Suck it, whiny Facebook people!

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #718 on: August 27, 2014, 01:33:15 PM »
"Ready for my 24 day Advocare(?) cleanse to jumpstart my weight loss! *Lists herbal cleanse juices and meal replacement bars/shakes* Only $180 for the whole system!"

I've hung out with this woman and her daughter (also doing the cleanse) at church, they are both fat because they eat GARBAGE most of the time. The same woman who was posting about hoping to find a job but also went to Europe somehow.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #719 on: August 27, 2014, 04:04:18 PM »
I am the computer guy in the familly...  Today my cousin messages me through facebook because she is having issues with her printer.  I give her some advise, which she can and does try on her own.  It doesnt work, so I let her know that I can swing buy tonight and give her a hand.  She replies that i need not bother.  She has thrown both of them out and is headed to Futureshop to get new ones.  It was time to replace them anyways, they were almost 6 months old.

OMG... she has also recently posted that she is happy that "pony" has come out with fingernail polish to match her mustang...

swashbucklinstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #720 on: August 27, 2014, 04:36:21 PM »
And the comments are -

"Ha, $9000 in savings."

24 year old recent grad here with a degree from an overpriced fancy shmancy school. Still have some of those loans left, but I also have $6.7k in my 401k (only been eligible for 1 year at my company) and just under $4k in the bank. I'd be willing to bet that by my 26th birthday, I'll have 9k in the bank, or, more likely, in a Roth IRA or some other investment. My SL will be paid off, and my 401k will be worth even more. Suck it, whiny Facebook people!

Haha, I'm sure you will! 25.5 year old here who started out with $40,000 in student loans making $38,000 a year at age 22 with $13,000 in the bank, now rid of student loans with $56,000 in investment accounts.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #721 on: August 27, 2014, 08:22:45 PM »

[/quote]

Haha, I'm sure you will! 25.5 year old here who started out with $40,000 in student loans making $38,000 a year at age 22 with $13,000 in the bank, now rid of student loans with $56,000 in investment accounts.
[/quote]
Keep spreading the word....candles in the darkness!

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #722 on: August 28, 2014, 09:17:44 AM »
Have you guys seen the FutureAdvisor ads on Facebook? The comments are so bad! I don't know how good Future Advisor's free advice is, but people shut them down before even trying.

They look like this:

And the comments are -

"Ha, $9000 in savings."

At 26 I had well over that in my 401k but definitely not in savings. I was very fortunate though and only had 1 year of SL. My parents paid and all of my internships/co-ops (3 of them) paychecks went straight to my tuition.

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #723 on: August 28, 2014, 10:04:36 AM »
Playing Devil's advocate...

I am 28 so I graduated at the height of the recession 2009 and did not find a job until I was 25 1/2. I immediately contributed to the 401K so that would have given me $8K in savings after a year, and $30k of student loan debt. So while its not totally impossible to have money saved by then, if you aren't lucky enough to live in a booming jobs city like mine it might have taken longer to find a job and get started saving while paying off massive student loans.

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #724 on: August 29, 2014, 08:23:03 PM »
Just saw this, from a former schoolmate who always complains about how tight money is and how much she hates living in her apartment:

Just to go to a wedding. Buying a dress runs close to $200, shoes, if needed close to $100, nails and pedi $50, hair $150 if he needs a new suit about $400 then $$ for the envelope, $250 at the minimum. NY living is not cheap. Not to mention a babysitter @ $15/hr.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #725 on: August 29, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »
Playing Devil's advocate...

I am 28 so I graduated at the height of the recession 2009 and did not find a job until I was 25 1/2. I immediately contributed to the 401K so that would have given me $8K in savings after a year, and $30k of student loan debt. So while its not totally impossible to have money saved by then, if you aren't lucky enough to live in a booming jobs city like mine it might have taken longer to find a job and get started saving while paying off massive student loans.

Yes.  Lets remember no one is trying to be broke.  Some have made poorer financial choices than others but many have had shit luck, and many more have not heard the gospel of MMM or frugality.  Many have embraced the immediate gratification that has been so strongly pushed on them with its 23% compounding interest.  Lets try to have a small chuckle here but remember not everyone has been saved yet and we are all fortunate to have had some quark of fate show us the path.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #726 on: August 30, 2014, 12:05:11 AM »
I'm Facebook friends with one of my daughter's Navy friends, and I'm watching her spend her way merrily through her 20s.  She has a steady job and will probably be in it for at least another two years.  She's due for a promotion in another 12-16 months and has probably mentally already spent it.

She's paying off about $25K in student loans at the minimum required payment, perhaps with the thought of someday qualifying for PSLF.  In the last year (since coming off sea duty) she's bought a brand-new pickup truck, a dog (from the shelter) with some medical problems, and a boyfriend.  (At least one of those has also come with another loan.)  Today's rumor is that she bought a motorcycle.  She's in Navy training enroute her next sea-duty tour so there are several nights out every week-- drinking, dancing, concerts.  The guy might be Boyfriend Of The Year material but when I see their facial expressions in their FB photos my reflex reaction is "Ruh-roh."

At the end of this next two-year sea-duty tour she'll have finished her five-year active-duty obligation and will be free to move to the Reserves or make a clean break for the civilian world.  At that point, the Navy will offer her about $10K-$25K/year bonus for signing up to stay on active duty for another 3-5 years.  Which option do you think she'll feel free to choose?

She's hung out with our daughter, spent a few days at our house, and understands that my spouse and I retired early.  She just doesn't see how that applies to her...

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #727 on: August 30, 2014, 02:17:29 AM »

She's paying off about $25K in student loans at the minimum required payment, perhaps with the thought of someday qualifying for PSLF.  In the last year (since coming off sea duty) she's bought a brand-new pickup truck, a dog (from the shelter) with some medical problems, and a boyfriend.  (At least one of those has also come with another loan.)  Today's rumor is that she bought a motorcycle.  She's in Navy training enroute her next sea-duty tour so there are several nights out every week-- drinking, dancing, concerts.  The guy might be Boyfriend Of The Year material but when I see their facial expressions in their FB photos my reflex reaction is "Ruh-roh."

She bought a boyfriend? Those modern girls… :)

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #728 on: August 30, 2014, 12:53:21 PM »
She's hung out with our daughter, spent a few days at our house, and understands that my spouse and I retired early.  She just doesn't see how that applies to her...

20 year pension?  Retire by 45 sounds pretty sweet.

ScienceSexSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #729 on: August 30, 2014, 07:32:55 PM »
"Ready for my 24 day Advocare(?) cleanse to jumpstart my weight loss! *Lists herbal cleanse juices and meal replacement bars/shakes* Only $180 for the whole system!"

Don't even get me started about Isagenix... something like $300 for a month, has you eating weird shakes and magical soups, includes such lovely bullshit as "healthy chocolate" that helps with your weight loss, etc. A Facebook friend did it earlier this year and went on and on about her cravings going away, not needing her chocolate anymore, how she was going to have to go shopping for all kinds of new clothes, posted the obligatory bikini and scale photos, the whole works. I think there's some sort of referral program too, because she was really, really pushing for people to join her on her "journey." I've seen her posting about eating chocolate again already, so I wouldn't be surprised if she ends up needing another round. I unfriended her.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #730 on: August 30, 2014, 10:45:17 PM »

I think she rents them.  Or burns through them very quickly and has to replace them.  Either way the turnover is pretty high-- it's what you get for dating a sailor...

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #731 on: September 01, 2014, 03:16:38 AM »

I think she rents them.  Or burns through them very quickly and has to replace them.  Either way the turnover is pretty high-- it's what you get for dating a sailor...

Had to go back to the beginning of this. My first thought was "What? That doesn't sound like Nord's daughter." Whew! Glad it's not!

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #732 on: September 01, 2014, 12:16:57 PM »

Had to go back to the beginning of this. My first thought was "What? That doesn't sound like Nord's daughter." Whew! Glad it's not!
Good point-- I'm glad you brought it up!

I haven't asked and my daughter hasn't volunteered.  She didn't seem very impressed by the dating gene pools in high school or college, and it'll be interesting to see who she finds out there in the fleet.  (I keep teasing her that neither of her parents learned our lessons about dating sailors.)  Of course my daughter's FB posts seem to indicate that she's getting in her quota of drinking, dancing, & concerts, and she should enjoy it now before her deployment starts. 

But my daughter is certainly watching this other woman live her life, and my daughter has learned a lot from those observations.  The actions are speaking far louder than my words ever could.

The whole idea is to have enough financial independence so that your employer can only bribe you with your cheerful consent instead of via fiscal coercion.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #733 on: September 01, 2014, 05:14:18 PM »
[quote author=Nords link=topic=6907.msg384834#msg384834 date

The whole idea is to have enough financial independence so that your employer can only bribe you with your cheerful consent instead of via fiscal coercion.
[/quote]

It's only been recently that I've reached that point and the freedom to say "no" and not worry about my  job, or the income, is unbelievable and impossible to explain.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #734 on: September 02, 2014, 12:33:16 AM »

It's only been recently that I've reached that point and the freedom to say "no" and not worry about my  job, or the income, is unbelievable and impossible to explain.
When people can see the smile on your face, no explanation is necessary...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:35:09 AM by Nords »

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #735 on: September 02, 2014, 11:11:37 AM »
At that point, the Navy will offer her about $10K-$25K/year bonus for signing up to stay on active duty for another 3-5 years.  Which option do you think she'll feel free to choose?

Mine was $125K for another 3 years. I ran away and haven't looked back once. People still ask me what I was thinking, and whether I regret it, but I think they just don't understand that money isn't everything. Or maybe you just have to spend a little time in the nuclear navy to understand exactly what you would be giving up. YMMV

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #736 on: September 02, 2014, 03:06:53 PM »
At that point, the Navy will offer her about $10K-$25K/year bonus for signing up to stay on active duty for another 3-5 years.  Which option do you think she'll feel free to choose?

Mine was $125K for another 3 years. I ran away and haven't looked back once. People still ask me what I was thinking, and whether I regret it, but I think they just don't understand that money isn't everything. Or maybe you just have to spend a little time in the nuclear navy to understand exactly what you would be giving up. YMMV

Nookyuhler.... it's pronounced nookyuhler.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #737 on: September 02, 2014, 09:50:05 PM »
Not on Facebook, but Ebay... I sold a padded saddle carrier for the princely sum of $25 +$8 shipping.  Buyer messages me today and says "Oh, my daughter is so excited, but I didn't realize this ended on Monday.  Can I wait until Friday to pay you?"

Sure, fine, whatever.  But I want to ask...  if you don't have $33 to spare until you get paid on Friday, why the hell are you buying unnecessary stuff on Ebay?  I'd certainly think twice about being in the horse hobby at all with those kinds of cash flow problems.  Hoping she's just budgeted closely and doesn't want to move money back out of savings, but I bet I'm wrong...

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #738 on: September 02, 2014, 10:03:42 PM »
I put this comment below in every Ebay auction I list, and I mean it, no exceptions ever. If they can't pay, they have NO business bidding on my stuff. I've only had to follow through once so far, but it all went well. If I list a "Buy it Now", I set it so those have to be paid for immediately through PayPal, if not, it relists itself:

"Winning bidder MUST pay within 48 hours of auction end. If not, a non-paying bidder claim will be filed and item will be re-listed and sold to someone else."

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #739 on: September 02, 2014, 10:18:57 PM »
Yeah, I usually do that, but this isn't an item people have been falling over themselves to buy, and it's not much money, so I decided on leniency since she did at least let me know.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #740 on: September 04, 2014, 02:58:51 PM »
One of my friends paid of his student loans, so I congratulated him. Later on, in the comments somebody said that he pulled that off a couple months ago, and to celebrate he decided to get back into debt to buy a car..."have to play the stupid line of credit game anyway"

Have to? /face palm.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #741 on: September 04, 2014, 03:07:45 PM »
One of my friends paid of his student loans, so I congratulated him. Later on, in the comments somebody said that he pulled that off a couple months ago, and to celebrate he decided to get back into debt to buy a car..."have to play the stupid line of credit game anyway"

Have to? /face palm.

I have a friend that is driving a 20+year old sedan here in Minnesota while she is paying off student debts. She lives fairly frugually and will have her undergrad and grad paid off in about a year or so, and I can see her financing a car as soon as she does. She is investing in her company's 401(k) as the match is a plus, but she knows that the more time it accumulates the more earnings she'll have, so I'm not worried about her in the least.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #742 on: September 04, 2014, 03:12:22 PM »

Have to? /face palm.

I have a friend that is driving a 20+year old sedan here in Minnesota while she is paying off student debts. She lives fairly frugually and will have her undergrad and grad paid off in about a year or so, and I can see her financing a car as soon as she does. She is investing in her company's 401(k) as the match is a plus, but she knows that the more time it accumulates the more earnings she'll have, so I'm not worried about her in the least.

Sure, we can devise situations where somebody can finance a car and still do great financially. I'm just saying that this person's attitude that he has to play the line of credit game is flawed. A car loan is not a requirement to be a part of society.

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #743 on: September 04, 2014, 08:17:39 PM »

Nookyuhler.... it's pronounced nookyuhler.
Is the poop deck really what I think it is?

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #744 on: September 04, 2014, 09:27:27 PM »
A fat woman on FB with three OBESE children just posted this gem.

REALLY wanted to comment: Oh the horror if Americans could no longer afford fast food! What would they do? Buy their own produce? Prepare their own meals? Live healthier lifestyles and drive down medical costs for EVERYONE? Gawd - please don't raise the minimum wage - just THINK of the consequences!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #745 on: September 04, 2014, 09:33:19 PM »

REALLY wanted to comment: Oh the horror if Americans could no longer afford fast food! What would they do? Buy their own produce? Prepare their own meals? Live healthier lifestyles and drive down medical costs for EVERYONE? Gawd - please don't raise the minimum wage - just THINK of the consequences!
I want to see the price table.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #746 on: September 04, 2014, 09:38:21 PM »
When you click on the article it says prices would increase by 38%...so your $5 meal would cost $1.90 more.

I feed my entire family of five a WHOLE meal on $5.00.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #747 on: September 04, 2014, 09:39:56 PM »
When you click on the article it says prices would increase by 38%...so your $5 meal would cost $1.90 more.

I don't even know what's on the menu anymore! 

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #748 on: September 05, 2014, 03:59:29 AM »

Here's a price list from somewhere in Australia last year apparently: https://www.flickr.com/photos/hytam/8459808455/ .  I don't go into McDonalds often enough to know how much everything costs, prices vary from place to place as well (e.g. I think in some of the mining towns it is hideously expensive as the employees earn about 80k p.a., though this is offset by the fact that rents are hideously expensive there too!

Minimum wage here was about $AU16 p/h last year. 20% loading for casual in lieu of annual and sick leave.  I think a 15 year old's minimum wage is half of that, it scales up until you reach full minimum wage at 21.  Specifics are given in the comments section.

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #749 on: September 05, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »

My husband and I were talking about a set of acquaintances that spend $800-$900 a month JUST on fast food. They say they are just too busy to be bothered with cooking. They are both well into the morbidly obese category. She's probably pushing 300 easy and he is near 375-400.

Last night, I was feeling lazy about dinner after work. Instead of loading up a 1200 cal meal at Burger King, I fired up the broiler, got out some Torta rolls, and made toasted sandwiches. I used chicken breast lunchmeat and low fat Swiss cheese. Served it with some oven baked fries and water. The calorie count for the meal was around 530 (I measured it all out).  It took about 5 minutes to assemble the sandwiches and 1 minute to throw the fries in the oven. 15 minutes later, it was ready. My husband said it wasn't health food, but it was way better than anything they were buying regularly from McBurgerWendy's and barely took any time to throw together. They just want an excuse for being fat and eating garbage all the time.