Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081864 times)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #6800 on: October 27, 2017, 02:32:12 PM »
Generally I go to Canadian Tire for toilet parts and bike accessories.

You buy toilet parts often enough to give them a special mention? You might want to consider sitting down more gently, or a change of diet ;)

My boyfriend is incredibly hard on toilets. It's a combination of being extremely ham-handed with regards to flushers, and also sitting down like an anvil dropping. How he does the second part is beyond me since he weighs about 110 lbs. I think since we've been together I've replaces every part of a toilet outside of the actual plumbing. At this point, it's been 8 years and I just mostly don't ask questions anymore, and head for Canadian Tire when there's a problem. They have good prices, at least.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6801 on: October 27, 2017, 02:47:13 PM »

Many many years ago I got banned from doing business with several car rental companies over a miscommunication.  When I rented the car they said I could do XYZ to return it; I understood XYZ to mean ABC where the they thought XYZ meant DEF.  When I brought the car back they were like "what the hell are you doing!" and I was like "ABC - duh" and they were like "I said you had to do DEF!".  So I get banned.  And over the years the different companies have merged and shared databases so I now keep a list of companies I can rent from.  It is rather a pain and I do get the motivation to try to get off the banned lists but this motivation quickly fades.  There are several chains I can rent from so meh. 

I really want to know what ABC was.
I Second this. Driving the wrong way over spikes? Left the car in the middle of an intersection? What could have been so bad that you couldn't even explain that you were given poor directions?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6802 on: October 27, 2017, 03:33:03 PM »
Many many years ago I got banned from doing business with several car rental companies over a miscommunication.  When I rented the car they said I could do XYZ to return it; I understood XYZ to mean ABC where the they thought XYZ meant DEF.  When I brought the car back they were like "what the hell are you doing!" and I was like "ABC - duh" and they were like "I said you had to do DEF!". 

Are you Louis CK?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b00-c-bk4U0

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6803 on: October 27, 2017, 05:41:25 PM »
It amazes me how much people think saving money and having fun is mutually exclusive.
My friend group all makes anywhere from 60k-100k and just turning 30. We had a blast in college and had a blast when I was making 30k less right out of college. Not sure why it got more expensive?
"Having a blast", for many, means not thinking or caring. I know a guy who was on the dole, $250pw, and was always broke. Now he's getting $1,800pw cash in hand, and is always broke. When they consider what they're doing, they realise they're pissing away most of their money, and they become stressed. So they avoid thinking about it. Of course, if they thought about it, they'd be able to make a plan, and no longer be stressed. But like walking into the gym for the first time or asking someone they like out on a date, many people never get past that first hurdle.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6804 on: October 27, 2017, 05:59:06 PM »

Many many years ago I got banned from doing business with several car rental companies over a miscommunication.  When I rented the car they said I could do XYZ to return it; I understood XYZ to mean ABC where the they thought XYZ meant DEF.  When I brought the car back they were like "what the hell are you doing!" and I was like "ABC - duh" and they were like "I said you had to do DEF!".  So I get banned.  And over the years the different companies have merged and shared databases so I now keep a list of companies I can rent from.  It is rather a pain and I do get the motivation to try to get off the banned lists but this motivation quickly fades.  There are several chains I can rent from so meh. 

I really want to know what ABC was.

I am picturing that XYZ was "park it across the street if our lot is full" -- and ABC understood was  "return it to the after hours parking spot across the street if our parking is full" or "park in the Avis competitor spot across the street" and then "mail the keys back to us".   Except that they meant  instead ad DEF  "return it to the hotel Conceirge across the street with the keys"..  or "park in the only HC spot two blocks down and across the street, then use our night drop box for the keys"...  because the seemingly free night parking across the street turns into aggressive parking tickets or is a location prone to damage / impounding, or they could not find the returned car parked in front of their door (across the street) for days...

(Hmmm maybe I have rented cars too many times, downtown, small airports and train stations are especially problematic after hours returns).

Roe

• Stubble
« Reply #6805 on: October 28, 2017, 03:27:43 AM »

You buy toilet parts often enough to give them a special mention? You might want to consider sitting down more gently, or a change of diet ;)

My boyfriend is incredibly hard on toilets. It's a combination of being extremely ham-handed with regards to flushers, and also sitting down like an anvil dropping. How he does the second part is beyond me since he weighs about 110 lbs. I think since we've been together I've replaces every part of a toilet outside of the actual plumbing. At this point, it's been 8 years and I just mostly don't ask questions anymore, and head for Canadian Tire when there's a problem. They have good prices, at least.

The things we do for love.

I've been at a family function where there was suddenly a loud noise from the bathroom. Loud enough for everyone to run there and start banging on the door. The perpetrator opened with an embarrassed grin, showing us the toilet, now split in half. Luckily there was only property damages, accidentally sitting down on those sharp edges would probably be lethal. No idea how they managed to do it, but at least now I know there are others out there.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #6806 on: October 28, 2017, 01:32:28 PM »

I've been at a family function where there was suddenly a loud noise from the bathroom. Loud enough for everyone to run there and start banging on the door. The perpetrator opened with an embarrassed grin, showing us the toilet, now split in half. Luckily there was only property damages, accidentally sitting down on those sharp edges would probably be lethal. No idea how they managed to do it, but at least now I know there are others out there.

I'm visualizing a secret society of butt ninjas who train to break boards with their keisters. But there's something inherently traumatic about the training, possibly the number of tush-whuppins they have to endure to toughen up the attack surface. They suppress this memory, naturally, but the experience gives them PTSD in addition to their lethal hiney skills. Every once in a while, something startles them when they're on the loo. Their training kicks in and pretty soon they're the last one standing. You don't want to be there when it happens.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6807 on: October 28, 2017, 01:51:01 PM »

I'm visualizing a secret society of butt ninjas who train to break boards with their keisters. But there's something inherently traumatic about the training, possibly the number of tush-whuppins they have to endure to toughen up the attack surface. They suppress this memory, naturally, but the experience gives them PTSD in addition to their lethal hiney skills. Every once in a while, something startles them when they're on the loo. Their training kicks in and pretty soon they're the last one standing. You don't want to be there when it happens.

Be careful TheGrimSqueaker, this could end up in
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/the-best-post-i-saw-today-on-the-mr-money-mustache-foruums

Definite lol and to much visual storytelling.

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #6808 on: October 29, 2017, 09:59:22 PM »
When I lived in Vancouver, I wondered about how many tire stores there were. I guess I thought the cold Canadian winters resulted in people needing copious amounts of tires and tire accessories. How much I missed out on by not having a car and therefore never venturing into a Canadian Tire!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6809 on: October 30, 2017, 12:03:44 AM »
....Canadian tire is a place I shop frequently...

Everyone else has addressed the inanity of the hummer, the rims and the payment plan, but I had to question this.

Why would on earth would he need to shop there frequently? >.<

Everyone who can, shops there frequently. Canadian Tire is what would happen if an auto parts store, a hardware store, and a department store had fabulous three-way sex and produced a love child.

They don't carry clothing or building supplies, but they've got housewares, sporting goods, paint, furniture, small appliances, tools, toys, and even some electronics. Quality-wise it's not an elite place to shop-- it is a big box store-- but it's not the bargain basement either. Their prices are generally fair and the value for the dollar is good especially with their loss leaders. They don't sell junk that's designed to fall apart, they don't use bait-and-switch tactics when they're having a sale, and their return policy is fair. The staff is paid fairly and so people tend to be competent. In fact, Canadian Tire is one of the reasons Wal-Mart didn't get a significant economic toehold in many parts of Canada. They successfully outcompeted Wal-Mart by not sucking.

Not the stores near me! I avoid Canadian Tire as much as possible because every time I run out of other options and decide to give them another chance I leave in near rage due to staff incompetence. And it takes a lot for me to rage!

Carless

• Stubble
« Reply #6810 on: October 30, 2017, 04:57:33 AM »
....Canadian tire is a place I shop frequently...

Everyone else has addressed the inanity of the hummer, the rims and the payment plan, but I had to question this.

Why would on earth would he need to shop there frequently? >.<

Everyone who can, shops there frequently. Canadian Tire is what would happen if an auto parts store, a hardware store, and a department store had fabulous three-way sex and produced a love child.

They don't carry clothing or building supplies, but they've got housewares, sporting goods, paint, furniture, small appliances, tools, toys, and even some electronics. Quality-wise it's not an elite place to shop-- it is a big box store-- but it's not the bargain basement either. Their prices are generally fair and the value for the dollar is good especially with their loss leaders. They don't sell junk that's designed to fall apart, they don't use bait-and-switch tactics when they're having a sale, and their return policy is fair. The staff is paid fairly and so people tend to be competent. In fact, Canadian Tire is one of the reasons Wal-Mart didn't get a significant economic toehold in many parts of Canada. They successfully outcompeted Wal-Mart by not sucking.

Not the stores near me! I avoid Canadian Tire as much as possible because every time I run out of other options and decide to give them another chance I leave in near rage due to staff incompetence. And it takes a lot for me to rage!

It really varies.  I've had several that were quite good, and one that had trouble with such complex questions as 'how much is this'. 

As a side note, there was a period in time when they sold groceries (eggs, milk, frozen prepared meals) as well.  My SO used to say 'I could get motor oil and eggs in the same place!'.  I think he misses it.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6811 on: October 30, 2017, 10:02:59 AM »

I am picturing that XYZ was "park it across the street if our lot is full" -- and ABC understood was  "return it to the after hours parking spot across the street if our parking is full" or "park in the Avis competitor spot across the street" and then "mail the keys back to us".   Except that they meant  instead ad DEF  "return it to the hotel Conceirge across the street with the keys"..  or "park in the only HC spot two blocks down and across the street, then use our night drop box for the keys"...  because the seemingly free night parking across the street turns into aggressive parking tickets or is a location prone to damage / impounding, or they could not find the returned car parked in front of their door (across the street) for days...

(Hmmm maybe I have rented cars too many times, downtown, small airports and train stations are especially problematic after hours returns).

My pos of a car died and I rented a car for a week while shopping for a new (used) one.  I booked to return on Sunday and when picking it up was told (XYZ) "this location closes at noon on sunday, if you want to ovoid an extra days charge you can return it to the airport." 

What I heard (ABC): "you can return here after noon but you will be charged an extra day (20$), or you can return it at the airport and save 20$."

What they meant (DEF): "You can in no way return it after noon on sunday at this location; your only option to return the car sunday afternoon is at the airport."

Sunday comes around and between picking up the new-used car and random stuff I am not ready to return the car till 1pm; having still lots more to get done that day gf and I go to the nearer location where I picked it up from.  I park it and spend 5-10 minutes getting all my random junk out then not seeing a drop box leave the key in the glove compartment and call the location to tell them where the keys are.  (I have since learned that car rental companies dont keep spares of keys-this seems dumb but is probably profitable for them.)

The woman that I talked to when picking up the rental who said XYZ hears my voice message inside and comes running out after I closed the locked car door; she is all kerfuffled and says she was watching me empty the rental car out from inside and what am I doing here and why did I lock the keys inside and she said I had to return the car to the airport, etc.  I did not see there was a miscommunication at first and she was not hearing anything I said anyway.  So I end up going inside with her while she bills my CC for a locksmith and extra day; I say nothing at all.  She says a few more times that she told me XYZ/DEF.  I never yelled or was in any way threatening or argumentative; I did try to slam the door on the way out but the door was way over-damped and I totally failed at that.  I did not fight the CC charges (100$ for the locksmith and 20$ for the extra day).  But I am still banned for life from like half the US rental car companies. 

In the years since when I have booked at places I am banned at (accidentally or after they merged) and the clerks have asked if refused to pay for a rental or returned it damaged or what...  Nope just a communication problem.  The note in my file says something like "dont ever under any circumstances rent to alan".

Beard N Bones

• Stubble
« Reply #6812 on: October 31, 2017, 10:17:51 PM »

This is the funniest things I've read in a long time. TheGrimSqueaker for the win!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6813 on: November 06, 2017, 04:18:02 PM »
A friend had a garage sale recently and spent the previous week posting photos on Facebook.

Dozens of brand new pairs of shoes. Racks of clothes. A pile of handbags. Multiple bikes. Appliances. Electronics. Boxes of candles and candle holders. Multiple dinner sets. More than three dozen platters.

I swiped from photo to photo with increasing horror at the amount of money she has forked out for this crap, and the ridiculous prices she expects to fetch. $30 for a used no-name blender? I can buy a new one for $39. $1.50 each for second-hand mugs. $15+ each for the platters.

I admire the effort to declutter and bring in extra cash (which I know they desperately need), but this stuff is only worth what people will pay for it.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #6814 on: November 06, 2017, 08:32:19 PM »
A friend had a garage sale recently and spent the previous week posting photos on Facebook.

Dozens of brand new pairs of shoes. Racks of clothes. A pile of handbags. Multiple bikes. Appliances. Electronics. Boxes of candles and candle holders. Multiple dinner sets. More than three dozen platters.

I swiped from photo to photo with increasing horror at the amount of money she has forked out for this crap, and the ridiculous prices she expects to fetch. $30 for a used no-name blender? I can buy a new one for $39. $1.50 each for second-hand mugs. $15+ each for the platters.

I admire the effort to declutter and bring in extra cash (which I know they desperately need), but this stuff is only worth what people will pay for it.

Three DOZEN platters?! What the actual fuck?! (Assuming that a platter is a large, fancyish plate for serving food and doesn’t mean something else in Australia;) My numbers of items owned in certain categories are *ahem, cough, cough* ridiculous, but I can feel smug about my reasonable number of platters, I suppose.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6815 on: November 06, 2017, 09:30:19 PM »

Three DOZEN platters?! What the actual fuck?! (Assuming that a platter is a large, fancyish plate for serving food and doesn’t mean something else in Australia;) My numbers of items owned in certain categories are *ahem, cough, cough* ridiculous, but I can feel smug about my reasonable number of platters, I suppose.

That's exactly what I meant by platter.

And bear in mind that these were just the ones she was prepared to part with. I am fairly confident she would have kept at least a dozen.

She went through a phase where she was doing a lot of entertaining, and apparently used this to rationalise buying more stock than most kitchen shops.

I feel sorry for her because I know she is struggling with a lot right now (unhappy marriage, unemployment, alcoholic father), and I can see her trying to buy the life she wants. Entertaining means supportive friends and family. A glamorous wardrobe means successful young professional.

Unfortunately her problems are still there, and now they've been compounded by debt and budgeting problems.

I think I own one proper platter, but I'm not above drafting a chopping board into service.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 01:57:06 AM by mustachepungoeshere »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6816 on: November 06, 2017, 11:10:56 PM »
Oh crap,  I just counted... I have 11?! platters.   That is at least 5 more than I use regularly*

*meaning use more than 4x a year which still isn't much, and "platter" includes 13" decorative plates used for appetizers and a cheese tray,
 excludes cake stands

Average price of my platters at least was FREE, FREE, $1, $1, FREE, FREE, Wedding Present, FREE, Wedding Present, $3, $15,...   

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6817 on: November 07, 2017, 02:56:53 AM »
Oh crap,  I just counted... I have 11?! platters.   That is at least 5 more than I use regularly*

*meaning use more than 4x a year which still isn't much, and "platter" includes 13" decorative plates used for appetizers and a cheese tray,
 excludes cake stands

Can confirm I do not own any platters.

Average price of my platters at least was FREE, FREE, $1, $1, FREE, FREE, Wedding Present, FREE, Wedding Present, $3, $15,...   

I think you can be excused for the first 10.

2 platters for Wedding presents? Fuck, wouldn't it be funny if every guest turned up with the same present to a wedding... I'm sure it must have happened somewhere in the world  :)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6818 on: November 07, 2017, 08:14:15 AM »

excludes cake stands

2 platters for Wedding presents? Fuck, wouldn't it be funny if every guest turned up with the same present to a wedding... I'm sure it must have happened somewhere in the world  :)

I was once a guest at a bridal shower where the bride received three popcorn makers. Two were the same brand and model. There were only about a dozen guests.

It was this experience that got me to grudgingly admit there's a merit to registries.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6819 on: November 07, 2017, 08:16:47 AM »
DW comes from a smallish town, and when we got married, the residents didn't quite understand how the registries at Walmart and Target work.  So we ended up with 36 towels (half of which matched the registry, some of which didn't) and 6 identical hand mixers.  We returned most of the mixers, but still have all the towels 15 years later!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6820 on: November 07, 2017, 08:51:47 AM »
I received 9 dutch ovens of varying size and color for our wedding. We kept 2, in blue.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6821 on: November 07, 2017, 08:56:11 AM »
It seems as though a lot of us have either received multiple identical gifts or been present, darshana-style, when it happened to someone else. Years later we remember the incident and it's possible it influenced us. Does anyone here wonder whether there's a relationship between such an experience and a subsequent attraction to Mustachianism?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6822 on: November 07, 2017, 10:32:02 AM »

excludes cake stands

I was once a guest at a bridal shower where the bride received three popcorn makers. Two were the same brand and model. There were only about a dozen guests.

It was this experience that got me to grudgingly admit there's a merit to registries.
Ah, yes, the doubles...   it is why I tape the receipt to an item, unless I want the couple to keep it (I am stodgier in my older years).

I was at one, where 5-6 trifle glass bowls were gifted to one bride (also useful for salad), but -- 5-6 glass bowls intended for Trifle!  -- She married into a British family and her new DH loved trifle.   

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6823 on: November 07, 2017, 02:22:07 PM »

excludes cake stands

Things that don’t surprise me in the least.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6824 on: November 07, 2017, 02:27:14 PM »
The closest thing I have to a platter is a waiter's tray that I use to feed our dogs their meals.  Yes, I'm their waiter.  And yes, I feel ridiculous using it, but it's so convenient.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6825 on: November 07, 2017, 02:39:43 PM »
The closest thing I have to a platter is a waiter's tray that I use to feed our dogs their meals.  Yes, I'm their waiter.  And yes, I feel ridiculous using it, but it's so convenient.

It's funny how we don't feel ridiculous for needing to pick up dog's poop. I wonder what aliens would think of us if they saw us picking up after our pets.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6826 on: November 07, 2017, 03:05:07 PM »
We have dinner plates and luncheon plates. We consider the smaller ones plates and the larger ones platters.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6827 on: November 07, 2017, 03:25:08 PM »

It's the dogs' house, you just pay the mortgage?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6828 on: November 07, 2017, 06:45:47 PM »

It's funny how we don't feel ridiculous for needing to pick up dog's poop. I wonder what aliens would think of us if they saw us picking up after our pets.

I absolutely feel ridiculous cleaning up dog or cat poop and I mention it to my wife all the time.  I created a thread about trying to toilet train my cat (we failed and I have to clean that fucking litter every fucking day).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6829 on: November 08, 2017, 12:16:08 AM »

I absolutely feel ridiculous cleaning up dog or cat poop and I mention it to my wife all the time.  I created a thread about trying to toilet train my cat (we failed and I have to clean that fucking litter every fucking day).

Haha and aliens will think our babies are the ruling class because we wipe their butts and feed them from our bodies amirite?  Aliens r dumb

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6830 on: November 08, 2017, 03:41:46 AM »
Tbh one of the reasons that I don’t have a pet is that I don’t feel like picking up something’s poop for the next 10-15 years.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #6831 on: November 08, 2017, 06:13:52 AM »

excludes cake stands

Do we count old microwave glass trays as platters? Because I keep them whenever a microwave wears out to use for cheese trays and such and I think I'm up to two or three.
Plus a turkey platter my mother gave me ...
Plus one specifically for deviled eggs ...
Crap, I have at least 5 platters.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6832 on: November 08, 2017, 07:41:29 AM »
I have 2 smaller platters, and that's about it. My mom on the other hand has multiple. I know of around 10, but no clue how many she actually has. We did get her to donate 1 or 2 this year, but put 3-4 back in the box, then back in the attic, where they've been for 20 years.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6833 on: November 08, 2017, 07:46:52 AM »
I honestly can't imagine ever wanting or needing a platter... Even if I had people over, I'd just use plates!? What's the use of a bigger plate? Or I'd use a cutting board, that was a good idea above! Hell, or use the countertop with some wax paper over it for easy cleanup.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6834 on: November 08, 2017, 08:22:17 AM »
I honestly can't imagine ever wanting or needing a platter... Even if I had people over, I'd just use plates!? What's the use of a bigger plate? Or I'd use a cutting board, that was a good idea above! Hell, or use the countertop with some wax paper over it for easy cleanup.

I have two platters that are green and made to look like big, round leaves, so they do double-duty as decorative items for the 361 days a year they are not being used.  Once or twice a year I'll use them to bring cookies or deviled eggs to work for a potluck, or put hor d'oeurves  on them when we have guests.  They also have a little bit of a lip on them so they work for serving something that has juices that might run off of a cutting board (not to mention I need my cutting board for cooking)  I think they were about $8 apiece at TJMaxx 10+ years ago.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6835 on: November 08, 2017, 08:24:30 AM »
Tbh one of the reasons that I don’t have a pet is that I don’t feel like picking up something’s poop for the next 10-15 years.

Move to the country. Our dog has an area in the woods where she goes. She likes her privacy I guess. Seldom anywhere else. Nothing to pick up.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6836 on: November 08, 2017, 08:36:42 AM »

I have two platters that are green and made to look like big, round leaves, so they do double-duty as decorative items for the 361 days a year they are not being used.  Once or twice a year I'll use them to bring cookies or deviled eggs to work for a potluck, or put hor d'oeurves  on them when we have guests.  They also have a little bit of a lip on them so they work for serving something that has juices that might run off of a cutting board (not to mention I need my cutting board for cooking)  I think they were about $8 apiece at TJMaxx 10+ years ago.

I've /somewhat/ considered having one because it is decorative any other time, but I've just had a recent aversion to buying nice decorative things. Could be because I moved 4 times in 14 months.

I thought of another substitute--I have a VERY large baking sheet. It's not pretty by any means, but with wax paper on top it's clean and has a half-inch lip for juices and such.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #6837 on: November 08, 2017, 09:26:16 AM »
I bought a dollar store platter once, it melted a little and I'm not sure how, but that's the only one I have.

Something facebook related.  I have found it recently amusing to see a couple of people quietly scrub their pages of MLM bullshit that they were super hyped on just a few weeks ago.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6838 on: November 08, 2017, 03:30:31 PM »

excludes cake stands

Do we count old microwave glass trays as platters? Because I keep them whenever a microwave wears out to use for cheese trays and such and I think I'm up to two or three.
Plus a turkey platter my mother gave me ...
Plus one specifically for deviled eggs ...
Crap, I have at least 5 platters.

You see?  My count included 2 oversize but handmade dinner plates that I only use for serving appetizers.  Anything plate like that is used to serve food  (but not eat directly from) is a platter in my books.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6839 on: November 08, 2017, 03:47:10 PM »

This fascinates me! How many microwave glass trays do you have?

I bought my microwave second-hand in 2006 and it's still going strong, so I haven't yet faced this question, but I'm fairly certain it would have never, ever occurred to me to keep the plate.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6840 on: November 08, 2017, 03:49:18 PM »
I bought a dollar store platter once, it melted a little and I'm not sure how, but that's the only one I have.

Something facebook related.  I have found it recently amusing to see a couple of people quietly scrub their pages of MLM bullshit that they were super hyped on just a few weeks ago.

Oooh you should post this in No, I won't buy into your MLM .

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #6841 on: November 09, 2017, 06:18:47 AM »

This fascinates me! How many microwave glass trays do you have?

I bought my microwave second-hand in 2006 and it's still going strong, so I haven't yet faced this question, but I'm fairly certain it would have never, ever occurred to me to keep the plate.
I had a cheap 600W in college that did the job for me until my SO at the time moved in, then she bought an 1100W one because she was tired of things taking twice as long as recommended. We didn't have a kitchen timer, so we often used the microwave as a timer. One time we had been drinking and forgot to use the "timer" setting and accidentally ran it for 25 minutes on full power with nothing in it. Boom. Replaced it with a similar model we found on sale. Then when I moved out of that apartment into my first home there was a microwave mounted above the stove, so I took the glass out of the one I had and put the unit in the basement with a few other usable-but-not-immediately needed things.

3 glass trays.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6842 on: November 09, 2017, 06:55:28 AM »
Reminds me of my roommate, he spent over $120 on a fancy 1200 watt microwave that was a display model which even has a dent in it (cosmetic). I mentioned a few weeks before we moved in together that you could spend $50 or less on Craigslist for a really nice one and he seemed to agree but apparently this was such a good deal that he couldn't pass it up. He also bought the warranty for it.

Glad I'm not splitting that cost with him! For a microwave!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6843 on: November 09, 2017, 08:03:53 AM »
Reminds me of my roommate, he spent over $120 on a fancy 1200 watt microwave that was a display model which even has a dent in it (cosmetic). I mentioned a few weeks before we moved in together that you could spend $50 or less on Craigslist for a really nice one and he seemed to agree but apparently this was such a good deal that he couldn't pass it up. He also bought the warranty for it.

Buying an warranty on a fucking microwave?  $120 for a fancy microwave, fine, whatever; I can get past that, but an extended warranty?  Gah.

Reminds me of my coworker getting the expensive extended warranty on his weight plates.  I wish I was making that up.  They're metal plates; there really isn't anything to go wrong.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6844 on: November 09, 2017, 12:15:44 PM »
....Reminds me of my coworker getting the expensive extended warranty on his weight plates.  I wish I was making that up.  They're metal plates; there really isn't anything to go wrong.

Heavy man, heavy.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6845 on: November 09, 2017, 06:51:29 PM »

Buying an warranty on a fucking microwave?  $120 for a fancy microwave, fine, whatever; I can get past that, but an extended warranty?  Gah.

Reminds me of my coworker getting the expensive extended warranty on his weight plates.  I wish I was making that up.  They're metal plates; there really isn't anything to go wrong.

I had a microwave die on me once (outside of warranty by a few months).  It was, however, still within the extended warranty period that my credit card provided...100% refund ftw!

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #6846 on: November 09, 2017, 08:18:23 PM »
Bets thing I saw on Facebook this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLEw2jTwft4

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6847 on: November 09, 2017, 08:39:20 PM »

ACyclist

• Bristles
« Reply #6848 on: November 09, 2017, 08:42:23 PM »
Bets thing I saw on Facebook this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLEw2jTwft4

thats.... terrifying

I am literally cracking up here.  LALALA

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6849 on: November 12, 2017, 09:02:23 AM »
....Reminds me of my coworker getting the expensive extended warranty on his weight plates.  I wish I was making that up.  They're metal plates; there really isn't anything to go wrong.

Heavy man, heavy.

Well, that stinker landed with a thud.