Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082142 times)

Ann

• Bristles
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #6500 on: July 14, 2017, 06:16:30 PM »
I only hope that the people on my Facebook friends list don't keep a tally of who I bother posting "happy birthday" to and who I don't, because there's nothing at all personal about it, it just depends whether I've got the time and inclination for adding a drop of cyberwarmth to someone's life that day.

A software developer showed me webpage to do exactly this a couple of years ago (see who hadn't wished you a happy bday on fb). Seemed incredibly petty.
And the do WHAT with that information?  Carefully make a list and purposefully NOT wish them a happy birthday on THEIR birthdays?  A lot of work for something they probably wouldn't notice.  Unfriend them?  Well, that sounds like that might just be better for both of them.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6501 on: July 14, 2017, 07:03:17 PM »
I only hope that the people on my Facebook friends list don't keep a tally of who I bother posting "happy birthday" to and who I don't, because there's nothing at all personal about it, it just depends whether I've got the time and inclination for adding a drop of cyberwarmth to someone's life that day.

A software developer showed me webpage to do exactly this a couple of years ago (see who hadn't wished you a happy bday on fb). Seemed incredibly petty.
And the do WHAT with that information?  Carefully make a list and purposefully NOT wish them a happy birthday on THEIR birthdays?  A lot of work for something they probably wouldn't notice.  Unfriend them?  Well, that sounds like that might just be better for both of them.

I bet this guy also runs a program to notify him when he is unfriended (there's no notification, but you can check your friend list each day and compare it to the day before)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6502 on: July 15, 2017, 07:32:52 AM »

I bet this guy also runs a program to notify him when he is unfriended (there's no notification, but you can check your friend list each day and compare it to the day before)

These sites might be able to turn into a nice little side hustle for the developer. There's bound to be plenty of people that obsess enough about Facebook to use the site.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #6503 on: July 15, 2017, 01:46:31 PM »

These sites might be able to turn into a nice little side hustle for the developer. There's bound to be plenty of people that obsess enough about Facebook to use the site.
What is this Face Book you are talking about?
Seriously, I dropped whatsapp and facebook years ago because everyone kept spouting nonesense and calling me out when I didn't respond to them sepcifically. When I told them I didn't respond to anyone, ever, they got angry. When I dropped the accounts they got angry again, as in how could I keep up to date with their antics so I told them to e-mail me.

My wife is the only one with a facebook account now, only thing we do is browse a specific supportgroup and exchange pics with 1 friend who our son has playdates with :)

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
« Reply #6504 on: July 15, 2017, 04:10:08 PM »
I just saw on my cousins Face book, her congratulating her 18 year old daughter for the purchase of her 2017 Hyundai elantra.  This kids just graduated, 2 weeks ago... may as well start them young I guess.

"Congratulations on not having horrible credit! Congratulations on the lost wealth-building opportunity you'll be paying in depreciation!"

Seriously. The reasoning blows my mind sometimes. My young friend who had just gotten married had an annoying car repair ($1-2k) on an 6-8 year old Subaru. He was so annoyed about it he decided to lease a brand new car. His wife was also leasing a new car. How I found out about this is that he was bragging about his insurance being only like $200-$225 a month since someone hooked him up. A different friend was there with me when he said that and we just looked at each other. We both have 10-15 year old vehicles and have no plans to upgrade. Our insurance was around half of that.

Later, I learned from Facebook (see! I'm not hijacking!) that they are moving from renting a 2 bedroom apartment to renting a house for $2500/month. Since their rent will double, I imagine they will need to keep the current roommates (2?), and maybe get more. From my limited perspective, this is all to live in a nice area. I just shake my head. I would not want to stomach a $2500/month. This is one of the most expensive towns in the area.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6505 on: July 18, 2017, 05:06:40 PM »
Friend of a friend posted "Last night I thought I heard water running, and figured I'd check on it in the morning".

Uh, yeah.  The next morning he found that a pipe in the crawl space had been spraying water up into his insulation all night.

Unexpected running water is pretty high on my list of "things you don't wait to investigate".

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6506 on: July 18, 2017, 06:54:32 PM »
Friend of a friend posted "Last night I thought I heard water running, and figured I'd check on it in the morning".

Uh, yeah.  The next morning he found that a pipe in the crawl space had been spraying water up into his insulation all night.

Unexpected running water is pretty high on my list of "things you don't wait to investigate".

Thank goodness it was all a dream!  My underwear was soaked through, though.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6507 on: July 19, 2017, 12:17:55 PM »

I heard a pop and water running and ran to find that the hot water line on the utility sink broke. All fixed now, and the floor got washed!

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #6508 on: July 19, 2017, 12:55:03 PM »

Brings back memories of my childhood.  Why do I keep hearing a hose running??... Oh I'm awake now... oops my underwear's soaked..

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6509 on: July 27, 2017, 06:54:58 AM »
Seen on facething today:

"[Due] to not having $1800.00 dollars in 2 days. i will not be having surgery on my foot tomorrow. i will be starting pain management instead."

Edit:  I should add some context here:  retired school bus driver, she and hubby live with his father for free or nearly-free, drives giant truck bought new last year.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 07:02:05 AM by Cherry Lane »

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6510 on: July 27, 2017, 07:16:43 AM »
Seen on facething today:

"[Due] to not having $1800.00 dollars in 2 days. i will not be having surgery on my foot tomorrow. i will be starting pain management instead."

Edit:  I should add some context here:  retired school bus driver, she and hubby live with his father for free or nearly-free, drives giant truck bought new last year.
The 2 days thing is super strange. Like... was the surgery scheduled and they required her to pay up front? Is it a copay? If retired, there should be some financial assistance available, or at least some sort of payment plan. (Making pain stop is something I would go into debt for, personally.)

I'm mostly just sad for her because I can relate. I had a bad foot, and it was nowhere near life threatening and I couldn't even be considered disabled. It just hurt to walk all the damn time. I am very fortunate that I was on my parents' insurance and my dad could afford the surgery. Fixing that foot really changed my life--I didn't even realize how bad it truly hurt until it didn't hurt anymore. That and it's impossible to find shoes that fit now, but totally worth it. I hope she's able to get the care she needs.

Bosco4789

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6511 on: July 27, 2017, 07:32:55 AM »
Seen on facething today:

The 2 days thing is super strange. Like... was the surgery scheduled and they required her to pay up front? Is it a copay? If retired, there should be some financial assistance available, or at least some sort of payment plan. (Making pain stop is something I would go into debt for, personally.)

I'm mostly just sad for her because I can relate. I had a bad foot, and it was nowhere near life threatening and I couldn't even be considered disabled. It just hurt to walk all the damn time. I am very fortunate that I was on my parents' insurance and my dad could afford the surgery. Fixing that foot really changed my life--I didn't even realize how bad it truly hurt until it didn't hurt anymore. That and it's impossible to find shoes that fit now, but totally worth it. I hope she's able to get the care she needs.

That was not a bird or an airplane flying over your head.  It was simply the point Cherry Lane was making.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6512 on: July 27, 2017, 08:44:56 AM »
Seen on facething today:

That was not a bird or an airplane flying over your head.  It was simply the point Cherry Lane was making.
Darn. I thought it was Iron Man.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6513 on: July 28, 2017, 02:00:20 PM »
This is as much as a vent as an overheard...

I will start with some back story.  A friend of mine, has been unemployed since January.  She has been unable to find work at all due to the fact that she is transgender, and as much as we like to sugar coat it, the market is very hard for transgender women.

To top it all off, out of the last 30 months she has maybe worked 6 or 7.

Anyway, two nights ago she and her partner call me.  They have had their power cut off at their house.  They have not been able to pay their bills because of the lack of employment that has affected her.

Fast forward to today.  I have my freezers full of her stuff, because, that is what friends do right.  I see a post on Facebook.  Could not help myself, look at these new fake nails I just got.

Now I understand that it is very important for her to look as feminine as she possibly can, but really, you just spent $50-60 on getting your nails done when you have had your power cut off. 

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6514 on: July 28, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »
This is as much as a vent as an overheard...

I will start with some back story.  A friend of mine, has been unemployed since January.  She has been unable to find work at all due to the fact that she is transgender, and as much as we like to sugar coat it, the market is very hard for transgender women.

To top it all off, out of the last 30 months she has maybe worked 6 or 7.

Anyway, two nights ago she and her partner call me.  They have had their power cut off at their house.  They have not been able to pay their bills because of the lack of employment that has affected her.

Fast forward to today.  I have my freezers full of her stuff, because, that is what friends do right.  I see a post on Facebook.  Could not help myself, look at these new fake nails I just got.

Now I understand that it is very important for her to look as feminine as she possibly can, but really, you just spent $50-60 on getting your nails done when you have had your power cut off.

It's hard to get away from the whole "spending money to make yourself feel better" thing...I can kinda get that, especially if your self-image is really fragile. And sure, it may have made her happy briefly (hedonic adaptation!). But nails over electricity? Yikes. How about buy some nail polish for $1 instead? Even DIY fake nails cost very little. I kinda blame society for a small part of this, transwomen (or even ciswomen a lot of times) get judged if they don't look stereotypically feminine with makeup and nice nails. Particularly if you are trying to date, but it does weed out the superficial people I guess.
I have terrible nails from a bad habit, but oh well. Not worth $50 every month to get fake ones.

I also have a similar ex-friend who is transgender and unemployed for a year, as far as I know. She and her GF are determined to be writers/film directors so they moved to CA from the east coast. The friend mainly just watches movies and shows all day from what I can see on Facebook and even made a post about how it's "research". Which I could get...if you had some other job in the mean time. She has two university degrees, GF has at least one degree. I actually recommended the teaching English online for $22 an hour side gig that was posted on this forum, but I think it fell on deaf ears. It seemed like the perfect opportunity because all you needed was a bachelor's degree, and I think they both majored in English which is even better.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6515 on: July 28, 2017, 08:26:37 PM »
I actually recommended the teaching English online for $22 an hour side gig that was posted on this forum, but I think it fell on deaf ears. It seemed like the perfect opportunity because all you needed was a bachelor's degree, and I think they both majored in English which is even better.

Where can I find this?  Thanks!

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6516 on: July 29, 2017, 01:32:54 PM »
Fwiw, the Ronald McDonald house we stayed at when my son was born didn't ask about income, just asked families to pay a small amount ($5?  Can't remember), which could be waved if financial need existed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ronald McDonald house is awesome!  When my daughter was 2.5 years old, she was hit by a motorcycle in Mexico and we maxed out our credit cards to the tune of $28,000 to cover almost a week of Mexican hospital bill and then air lift her to Miami, we were able to stay at RM house in Miami trauma center for over a week for free.  We literally didn't have any money for hotel at all. 

It all was worth every single penny.  She was pronounced hopeless in Mexico and was up and sitting in Miami on second day.  Some physical therapy and she is absolutely healthy and happy 15 year old now.
And eventually we ended up getting money back from insurance after prolonged battled and getting State Attorney General involved on the election year.  But that took almost a year.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #6517 on: July 29, 2017, 02:16:43 PM »
LeRainDrop - (excuse this thread hijack), but it's for vipkid. There's a whole thread on here somewhere. In my signature is the link to the sign-up page. I'm making $1000/month right now through it.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6518 on: July 31, 2017, 06:26:40 AM »
A friend of mine posted about how she's renting to own a flute. It costs $900.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6519 on: July 31, 2017, 09:07:44 AM »
Oh good grief.  I have an Armstrong 80 (solid silver body, open holed, inline G, B foot), I'd sell for a couple hundred.  She's probably renting a used beginner model.

kaypinkHH

• Pencil Stache
    • My first Journal!
« Reply #6520 on: July 31, 2017, 11:44:30 AM »
~65 year old man posted something last night along the lines of "Feeling Depressed: Looking at my retirement options and unless I die on the job there isn't a lot left for anybody including me!" Everyone piped up with suggestions from changing positions to something he enjoys more, looking at his true expenses, cutting back, etc. etc. he wasn't having any of it. I felt bad for him (he has some personal and health issues that definitely don't help the situation.), but then I kept scrolling, his previous post to that was a check in at starbucks enjoying a latte and a frap with his wife.

Made me go check mint to make sure I was still on track for potential FIRE (if I so choose in the future).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6521 on: July 31, 2017, 02:37:49 PM »
Oh good grief.  I have an Armstrong 80 (solid silver body, open holed, inline G, B foot), I'd sell for a couple hundred.  She's probably renting a used beginner model.

Got any trumpets?

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6522 on: July 31, 2017, 03:59:17 PM »
Nope, and just gave away the baritone and euphonium.  I'll melt the flute for the silver before I give it away ;-).

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6523 on: July 31, 2017, 05:18:49 PM »
Nope, and just gave away the baritone and euphonium.  I'll melt the flute for the silver before I give it away ;-).

Silver is $16.82 an ounce, sterling silver would be a bit less...

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6524 on: July 31, 2017, 10:26:12 PM »
Saw this in a group I was in, when I  suggested that she could save $2000 a month ($3700-$1750) and would have enough for the holiday in 9 months I was ignored.

Most other people were suggesting different banks

Ms Terror

• Stubble
« Reply #6525 on: July 31, 2017, 11:33:32 PM »
Yeah, where is her $2000 a month going!?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6526 on: August 01, 2017, 02:28:18 AM »
Saw this in a group I was in, when I  suggested that she could save $2000 a month ($3700-$1750) and would have enough for the holiday in 9 months I was ignored.

It's possible that she's using the term "living expenses" in a way that means "fixed expenses" - like rent and car payment, but not shopping or entertainment?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6527 on: August 01, 2017, 11:23:32 AM »

Oooh.  My 11 year old plays flute.  So far we just use the school one.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6528 on: August 01, 2017, 02:16:26 PM »
If your 11 year-old sticks with the flute I would recommend eventually buying him/her a personal instrument, and make it a good middle-of-the-road quality instrument. If you don't have a musical education to know the difference, enlist the help of the kid's teacher for recommendations. In my opinion (played piano since 5, flute since 5th grade, French horn since 10th) once you have surpassed the beginner level, it does make a difference to have a better instrument. They sound better, they play more easily, they teach the kid's ear what the sound is supposed to be like. On some instruments a higher-quality instrument may have features included that a beginner one doesn't. For example, a higher-quality horn will be double rather than single, on a flute you'll have the B-foot and open holes, both of which take some more skill and practice to master.

And for god's sake if you have a piano at home, get that thing tuned regularly!!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6529 on: August 01, 2017, 08:46:36 PM »
That's how I ended up with the Armstrong, myself.  It was a high school upgrade from the beginner flute.  Played all through college, and later in a band that played for festivals for a few years (my dad played the baritone in the band, so it was a fun father/daughter thing).  He died in '04, so I haven't played since then.

Anyone want a nice flute?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6530 on: August 01, 2017, 09:58:47 PM »
That's how I ended up with the Armstrong, myself.  It was a high school upgrade from the beginner flute.  Played all through college, and later in a band that played for festivals for a few years (my dad played the baritone in the band, so it was a fun father/daughter thing).  He died in '04, so I haven't played since then.

No, it's trumpet or bust.  Stop pushing your useless flute on us!

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #6531 on: August 02, 2017, 09:31:14 AM »
A friend of mine posted about how she's renting to own a flute. It costs $900.

Unfortunately, this is 95% of band parents.

When I was a band teacher, we pushed the rentals hard (we even had a stack of contracts from the music store, and would take down credit card numbers), because it was the only way we could get these parents to sign up their kids.

Parents liked having the option of just cancelling the rental if their kid didn't want to continue on in 7th grade.  However, you could just as easily buy a used instrument, and then sell it again for the same price you paid, if your kid wanted to quit... but maybe only 1 family a year did that.

The music stores just rent out the same instruments every year, many have been rented or used before in the past.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6532 on: August 02, 2017, 09:41:31 AM »

We might!  Last summer he kept it up, and the school let us keep the flute.  This summer he turned it in. We were going to get lessons this summer, but summer got away with us with summer camps.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6533 on: August 02, 2017, 09:55:46 AM »
Parents liked having the option of just cancelling the rental if their kid didn't want to continue on in 7th grade.  However, you could just as easily buy a used instrument, and then sell it again for the same price you paid, if your kid wanted to quit... but maybe only 1 family a year did that.
Very much this.  I played the trombone and my parents did the rental thing for a year in 5th grade, then realized it was moronic (and that I was actually sticking with it) and bought me a $110 eBay starter trombone that was literally the same model (but an older revision) as the one I was renting and the one everyone else was still renting.  Then in high school I bought a $400 "nice" eBay trombone that got me through high school and college.

I sold the student trombone on Craigslist two years ago for $120, and the "nice" one last year for $375.  If I decide to pick trombone back up, I can always find another similar one.  (But first I need to make room in my house for a piano if I'm going to be getting back into music.)

Like most things, playing a brass instrument can be expensive, if you're stupid.  Lots of options to get 95% the instrument for 20% the cost.  Bassoons on the other hand...

bunchbikes

• Bristles
« Reply #6534 on: August 02, 2017, 10:16:34 AM »
and bought me a $110 eBay starter trombone that was literally the same model (but an older revision)

As teachers, we had to be careful about encouraging ebay and used sales. I always included the disclaimer "You need to run the ad by us first".  Inevitably a few students a year would show up in August with ISOs (Instrument Shaped Objects) from eBay or Walmart or their Aunt's closet, that were really just unplayable.

Like most things, playing a brass instrument can be expensive, if you're stupid.  Lots of options to get 95% the instrument for 20% the cost.  Bassoons on the other hand...

Exactly.   That's why schools will own bassoons, french horns, tubas, etc.  No cheap way to really buy these instruments. The reeds for bassoons and oboes are what getcha.  You can't save money by buying cheap reeds, and if you do, well, you're just going to sound awful.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6535 on: August 02, 2017, 10:37:50 AM »
and bought me a $110 eBay starter trombone that was literally the same model (but an older revision)

As teachers, we had to be careful about encouraging ebay and used sales. I always included the disclaimer "You need to run the ad by us first".  Inevitably a few students a year would show up in August with ISOs (Instrument Shaped Objects) from eBay or Walmart or their Aunt's closet, that were really just unplayable.
Yeah, I had the guidance of my private lessons teacher for both purchases to ensure they actually made sense.  If you're just some 11 year old derp on their own (or their parents), you won't know what to look for, like anything else.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6536 on: August 02, 2017, 10:44:19 AM »
Yeah, DD decided on the saxophone (much to our chagrin--we wish she would have chosen clarinet, but whatever).  The rental for a YAS-26 was something like $30/mo.  I bought a YAS-23 (same instrument, different finish, older) on ebay for a bit over $300.  The nice thing is that if she decides she doesn't want to continue, we'll be able to recover most of the cost.  Not so much for our son's xylophone... ugh.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #6537 on: August 02, 2017, 03:55:05 PM »
I taught Strings to grade schoolers for 2 years. We had an odd collection of cellos and violins in a storage closet for anyone who we could encourage to join. We did have many parents opt to buy $100 violins from a manufacturer in China. They really had a decent sound for a student model! But I was pretty surprised how many parents bought them, knowing their kidlet would need to size up 2 or 3 times if they decided to stay with Strings. And at the end of the year there were additional instruments in our storage closet from families that left the school, but decided not to take Junior's violin with them.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6538 on: August 10, 2017, 09:09:06 PM »
Anti-mustachian in the sense that dental work costs money:

First post:  My teeth hate me. I've taken meticulous care of them all my life but they are falling apart. If you have good genetics in the teeth department, be thankful people! My mouth is getting damned spendy! Yes, I'm fully and completely complaining on social media right now.

Second post:  Finally trying this place. So yummy. An awesome afternoon pick-me-up!  [with a photo of a giant red smoothie...]

Me:  Facepalm.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6539 on: August 11, 2017, 07:02:51 AM »

Where the hell is she going that is going to cost $18K???  And if you can't afford a vacation, do you really think you should be taking one that costs $18k?? But then again, #IDeserveIt and YOLO  ;)

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6540 on: August 11, 2017, 07:08:08 AM »
Anti-mustachian in the sense that dental work costs money:

First post:  My teeth hate me. I've taken meticulous care of them all my life but they are falling apart. If you have good genetics in the teeth department, be thankful people! My mouth is getting damned spendy! Yes, I'm fully and completely complaining on social media right now.

Second post:  Finally trying this place. So yummy. An awesome afternoon pick-me-up!  [with a photo of a giant red smoothie...]

Me:  Facepalm.

To be fair, I get the complaint, and she's not complaining about being broke or poor because of her teeth (at least in this post). If I don't floss meticulously, I get cavities. I know plenty of people who NEVER floss and have never had a cavity. I'm hoping my recent switch back to electric toothbrushes will help as well. I have so much metal in my mouth. I can't imagine what my teeth will be like in my 70s.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6541 on: August 11, 2017, 11:27:22 AM »

Exactly.   That's why schools will own bassoons, french horns, tubas, etc.  No cheap way to really buy these instruments. The reeds for bassoons and oboes are what getcha.  You can't save money by buying cheap reeds, and if you do, well, you're just going to sound awful.

I can see why.  My neighbor's daughter chose to play the trumpet.  These aren't exactly small.  Well, she lost it.  Meaning, she must have left it on the playground at school one day, and then it was gone.  Not in lost & found.  So, where?  I mean, it belonged to the district.  The case has the school/ district/ her name on it.  Washes off though (made me glad that my kid chose the flute, which fits in his backpack).

Anyway, neighbors had to replace it.  They bought a used one on Ebay, but it was in bad condition so they had to pay hundreds to get it fixed.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6542 on: August 11, 2017, 12:27:38 PM »

Oh man, our schools didn't own any instruments.  It's why our orchestra had a ton of violin players and not bass players. Because if you chose bass you had to buy/rent two of them- one for home and one for school.

stealthwealth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6543 on: August 13, 2017, 07:28:53 AM »
http://www.geekfill.com/2017/05/15/this-woman-was-arrested-for-stealing-a-case-of-water-bottles-and-this-was-her-husbands-response/

So this showed up on my Facebook feed.  It is actually about how someone got arrested for stealing bottled water from Whole Foods, but the important detail is they spend THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS a year at Whole Foods.  That is like 6x what my family of four spends a year on groceries at Aldi. 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6544 on: August 13, 2017, 12:29:33 PM »
http://www.geekfill.com/2017/05/15/this-woman-was-arrested-for-stealing-a-case-of-water-bottles-and-this-was-her-husbands-response/

So this showed up on my Facebook feed.  It is actually about how someone got arrested for stealing bottled water from Whole Foods, but the important detail is they spend THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS a year at Whole Foods.  That is like 6x what my family of four spends a year on groceries at Aldi.
I've never shopped at Whole Foods, but given the reputation of their prices, $30k might be a reasonable budget for two people :P

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6545 on: August 13, 2017, 01:11:15 PM »

I've never shopped at Whole Foods, but given the reputation of their prices, $30k might be a reasonable budget for two people :P

That's why we call it Whole Paycheck. I've gone there a few times for those one-off items that I don't feel like braving the Wegmans parking lot for.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6546 on: August 13, 2017, 02:08:25 PM »

Love it when people say "If I've done my math right (which I have)" when, in fact, they haven't.  $17K ($2,165.46 * 12 / 1.5 = $17,323.68) per year is still a tremendous amount to be spending on groceries for 2 people, but not quite as cringe-worthy as presented.  And doesn't detract from the hilarity of the letter or the ridiculousness of the situation.

Or the poster has more data than presented in the letter - but I mean, when you say "we spent this much during this 1.5 month span" and then "if we keep spending at this rate . . .", presumably the amount found follows from the data presented, right?

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #6547 on: August 13, 2017, 02:44:12 PM »

Love it when people say "If I've done my math right (which I have)" when, in fact, they haven't.  $17K ($2,165.46 * 12 / 1.5 = $17,323.68) per year is still a tremendous amount to be spending on groceries for 2 people, but not quite as cringe-worthy as presented.  And doesn't detract from the hilarity of the letter or the ridiculousness of the situation.

Or the poster has more data than presented in the letter - but I mean, when you say "we spent this much during this 1.5 month span" and then "if we keep spending at this rate . . .", presumably the amount found follows from the data presented, right?

May I correct your math?

Oct 8th-Nov 27th, is 50 days. Thus their spending average is as so: 365 / 50 = 7.3 * 2,165.46 = $15,807.86 per year.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6548 on: August 13, 2017, 03:03:25 PM »

May I correct your math?

Oct 8th-Nov 27th, is 50 days. Thus their spending average is as so: 365 / 50 = 7.3 * 2,165.46 = $15,807.86 per year.
Please do - I didn't want to get too far into it, so I just went with 1.5 months, which the letter states somewhere in there.  Also, if we're nit-picking, some years have 366 days, so a better approximation is 365.25.  Of course that doesn't take into account years such as 1900 and 2100 where we skip a leap-year.  So, 365.25 is a good estimate for this couple, if we're talking-long-term spending (83 years to the next skipped leap year, so they may not even see 1 of those) but not necessarily the general case.  So now I get $15,818.69, rounded.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:13:00 PM by dandarc »

stealthwealth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6549 on: August 13, 2017, 06:34:41 PM »
I didn't bother to do the math when I posted.  But still, wow.  $15k a year.  Two people?  That's nuts.  I'm going to venture a guess that their "grocery" shopping largely consists of prepared foods from the prepared foods section, since it averages out to over $6 per meal per person.  But with that level of non-thrift, it's probably safe to assume they also eat out 3-5 times a week, and likely spend an additional $150 a week that way, and probably average closer to $9/meal for their grocery food.  Or perhaps they cater a lot of dinner parties?  Still, mind blown.  Like I said, my family of 4 usually eats on $100-125 a week at Aldi, and we may spend an average of $25 a week on periodically eating out.  Which still puts us at the low end of thrifty per officially compiled statistics on how much American households spend on groceries.