Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 1763437 times)

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #6050 on: February 06, 2017, 07:35:26 PM »
To summarize and merge a few different lines from a FB friend: "Money is tight right now, I dont have the cash to pay my weekly landscaper to re-sod my yard."  The city gave her a fix-it ticket because during the California water restrictions her yard died and is basically dirt now and "unimproved".  She posted a pic and it does not look that bad, bushes and trees look fine - I suggested she put down some seed but not sure that is time of year/climate appropriate.  WRT crying poor while paying a gardener... I will not touch that with a ten foot pole.
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

Taran Wanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #6051 on: February 06, 2017, 09:35:58 PM »
Sheesh. Buy some f$&%ing bark dust and be done with it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #6052 on: February 07, 2017, 06:08:46 AM »
To summarize and merge a few different lines from a FB friend: "Money is tight right now, I dont have the cash to pay my weekly landscaper to re-sod my yard."  The city gave her a fix-it ticket because during the California water restrictions her yard died and is basically dirt now and "unimproved".  She posted a pic and it does not look that bad, bushes and trees look fine - I suggested she put down some seed but not sure that is time of year/climate appropriate.  WRT crying poor while paying a gardener... I will not touch that with a ten foot pole.

Wow.  Why, in an area subject to water restrictions, is putting sod down the default?  So it can die during the next drought and need to be replaced again, all while sucking up too much water.  Maybe give her some links on xeriscaping?  She could put in some buffalo grass plugs if she really feels the need for lawn, but yeah, DIY it.

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6053 on: February 07, 2017, 07:02:32 AM »

Wow.  Why, in an area subject to water restrictions, is putting sod down the default?  So it can die during the next drought and need to be replaced again, all while sucking up too much water.  Maybe give her some links on xeriscaping?  She could put in some buffalo grass plugs if she really feels the need for lawn, but yeah, DIY it.

I grew up mostly in NorCaL but have not lived there since the early 00's but I think the legal/cultural/societal expectations that you have a green front lawn have not really changed much over the decades.  I mean most all of the state has regular droughts but I am not sure that is seen as 'normal'.  Just checked and 11 of the last 20 years are refereed to as 'dry years'.  At some point you have to drop the word 'dry' and just call them 'years'.  What do the current Ca residents think - are green yards still a standard where you are looked down upon if you dont have it?

I am not sure of all her details but I suspect she is in a rock vs hard place situation; several young kids, HCOL area trying to get into a new profession.  Where both time and money are very tight so long term investments are hard given day to day struggles.  But yeah a weekly gardener...

Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

frooglepoodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6054 on: February 07, 2017, 08:43:18 AM »

I grew up mostly in NorCaL but have not lived there since the early 00's but I think the legal/cultural/societal expectations that you have a green front lawn have not really changed much over the decades.  I mean most all of the state has regular droughts but I am not sure that is seen as 'normal'.  Just checked and 11 of the last 20 years are refereed to as 'dry years'.  At some point you have to drop the word 'dry' and just call them 'years'.  What do the current Ca residents think - are green yards still a standard where you are looked down upon if you dont have it?

I am not sure of all her details but I suspect she is in a rock vs hard place situation; several young kids, HCOL area trying to get into a new profession.  Where both time and money are very tight so long term investments are hard given day to day struggles.  But yeah a weekly gardener...

In my parent's town in SoCal, the city is giving incentives to convert lawn to drought-tolerant landscaping. My parents have done a portion of their front yard that way and also have expanded the patio to take over some of the back lawn and reduce water use. I think the social expectation is still that yards look "nice", though the definition of that is somewhat broader than it used to be.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #6055 on: February 07, 2017, 09:54:12 AM »

DH is from California.  We're in a middle-upper class neighborhood in Boise with lots of nice green lawns.  He was worried about neighbor perceptions when I xeriscaped most if it, but have had nothing but positive comments from neighbors.  If some people hate it, they keep it to themselves.  Not to mention it provides much better pollinator habitat, and will be great bird habitat in a few years too.

ysette9

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6056 on: February 07, 2017, 11:29:33 AM »
I'm in the Bay Area and the expression for the last year or so has been "brown is the new green". I think people look positively on people getting rid of the grass and replacing it with something less water-intensive.
"It'll be great!"

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #6057 on: February 07, 2017, 02:17:17 PM »
I'm in the Bay Area and the expression for the last year or so has been "brown is the new green". I think people look positively on people getting rid of the grass and replacing it with something less water-intensive.
i'd think (even hope) w succulents being the Cool Young People Plant that this would be a trendy and eco friendly thing to do :)

BeardedLady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6058 on: February 07, 2017, 07:37:26 PM »
Saw this gem on the ODs on Facebook page, a forum for doctors of optometry to post interesting cases and other career related tips. The best part is that this is the guy who regularly posts photos of the expensive shoes he buys his wife when he "messes up."

"So you are 28 years old and graduated OD school with a $250K student loan. You work your behind to pay that loan off in 10 years, so that makes you 38. You feel like you are in a grove so you decided to get a $350K business loan and open a practice. Your practice is an average practice generating about $600K a year. Good enough to service that loan for the next 15 years and pay yourself a good salary. A couple of years into the business, you get married and bought a house to raise your children. Another $250K for the next 15 years. Maybe 30.
By the time you paid off your business loan, you just hit 53, and you still have the mortgage left and the kid's college.
Where the hell do you have time to save for your retirement, if retiring comfortably requires about $2 million?
Edited: you are the sole provider! Throw that one in."

The comments are predictable whining about how one "couldn't possibly ONLY spend $250K on a house" and "try starting over after divorce!" followed by the one-upmanship of who has the worst financial situation. My personal favorite: "I'm worth more dead than alive thanks to life insurance."

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6059 on: February 07, 2017, 09:04:59 PM »

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #6060 on: February 08, 2017, 12:21:43 AM »

Ha! Some people just clearly do not track their money...
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #6061 on: February 08, 2017, 07:46:00 AM »

Ha! Some people just clearly do not track their money...
And there are several apps with notifications to track... How do these people... Whatever.
If I genuinely enjoy my profession and workplace, is there a reason to FIRE? Keep Calm and Carry On Milking.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #6062 on: February 08, 2017, 10:23:34 AM »
No one I know, or if it is, not visiting their house

cheapass

• Bristles
« Reply #6063 on: February 08, 2017, 12:12:48 PM »
Saw this gem on the ODs on Facebook page, a forum for doctors of optometry to post interesting cases and other career related tips. The best part is that this is the guy who regularly posts photos of the expensive shoes he buys his wife when he "messes up."

"So you are 28 years old and graduated OD school with a $250K student loan. You work your behind to pay that loan off in 10 years, so that makes you 38. You feel like you are in a grove so you decided to get a $350K business loan and open a practice. Your practice is an average practice generating about $600K a year. Good enough to service that loan for the next 15 years and pay yourself a good salary. A couple of years into the business, you get married and bought a house to raise your children. Another $250K for the next 15 years. Maybe 30.
By the time you paid off your business loan, you just hit 53, and you still have the mortgage left and the kid's college.
Where the hell do you have time to save for your retirement, if retiring comfortably requires about $2 million?

The comments are predictable whining about how one "couldn't possibly ONLY spend $250K on a house" and "try starting over after divorce!" followed by the one-upmanship of who has the worst financial situation. My personal favorite: "I'm worth more dead than alive thanks to life insurance."

It's an unwritten rule that you MUST spend every dollar that comes your way, there is no other use for them. Why do you think it's called "disposable income"? You must dispose of it before it sits around too long in your account and rots.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #6064 on: February 08, 2017, 01:19:35 PM »
think about it.

i actually love the meme format

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6065 on: February 08, 2017, 01:42:11 PM »

Haha, horsepoor doesn't know how to use the three sea shells!!

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6066 on: February 08, 2017, 01:51:03 PM »
i'd think (even hope) w succulents being the Cool Young People Plant that this would be a trendy and eco friendly thing to do :)
Yup.  Lots of fake grass going in here.  Our back yard has been dirt for years now.  Our front is dirt and weeds (yes we are *those* neighbors).  We have plans to put in a low water ground cover (silver carpet), and even pulled out the weeds so it could go in.  then did nothing, then it rained, now the weeds are back.  Ah well.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6067 on: February 08, 2017, 02:20:19 PM »

*snicker*

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6068 on: February 08, 2017, 06:00:22 PM »

ARRGH!   Quotes from bad movies that no one else recognizes... except RWD and i?    [waves hands without purpose]
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 06:01:57 PM by Goldielocks »

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #6069 on: February 08, 2017, 08:14:35 PM »

Is that a Barbie doll or did someone really make her own face look like that?
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #6070 on: February 08, 2017, 10:39:10 PM »

Is that a Barbie doll or did someone really make her own face look like that?

Its from a movie where Tyra Banks plays a doll that comes to life, so... A little of both?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life-Size

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6071 on: February 08, 2017, 10:56:20 PM »

ARRGH!   Quotes from bad movies that no one else recognizes... except RWD and i?    [waves hands without purpose]

I know that this wasn't part of your plan... but yes, I too have seen that excellent film.

wauske

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6072 on: February 09, 2017, 05:30:07 AM »
So, what do they use when they need wet wipes? Tea bags?
Everything I say is my personal opinion which is based on my subjective experience.

faithless

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6073 on: February 09, 2017, 08:02:47 AM »

*snicker*

+1

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6074 on: February 09, 2017, 09:37:31 AM »

I know that this wasn't part of your plan... but yes, I too have seen that excellent film.
I have also watched the movie.  Years ago.  I loved it.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6075 on: February 09, 2017, 09:41:46 AM »

I have also watched the movie.  Years ago.  I loved it.

I've only seen it dubbed in Spanish. "Mi perro es mejor quel tuyo..."

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6076 on: February 09, 2017, 10:43:50 AM »
Man, now I want to watch it again.  For those in Scandinavia, Demolition Man is only available on Netflix in your region for some reason.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6077 on: February 09, 2017, 10:58:31 AM »
Man, now I want to watch it again.  For those in Scandinavia, Demolition Man is only available on Netflix in your region for some reason.

Me too, I didn't find the movie to be particularly good, but I would like to give them another chance. Maybe I'll also check out the original Judge Dredd as well.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6078 on: February 09, 2017, 02:25:43 PM »

Me too, I didn't find the movie to be particularly good, but I would like to give them another chance. Maybe I'll also check out the original Judge Dredd as well.

The remake of Dredd from a couple years ago is surprisingly good.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6079 on: February 09, 2017, 03:44:33 PM »

Rob Schneider double feature

BeardedLady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6080 on: February 09, 2017, 05:29:33 PM »

Major plot twist! Comments on this thread took a positive turn to how much one needs to retire with good arguments to combat the complainers. Someone even mentioned MMM, and now there are over 500 comments with the most recent debating the merits of early retirement vs part time work. Guess I should have posted on the anti-anti-mustachian thread. Proud of my colleagues! Any optometrists on here who would like to chat, please PM me.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

marielle

• Bristles
« Reply #6081 on: February 10, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »
Why do you need 11 iPhone cases? One to match each purse?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6082 on: February 10, 2017, 01:53:59 PM »
Why do you need 11 iPhone cases? One to match each purse?

Well I'm trying to cut back. I finally realized that 13 Iphone cases were too many.....

/s

ketchup

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6083 on: February 10, 2017, 03:11:21 PM »
Jeez, I guess whenever I saw someone with a new phone case I just assumed the old one was cheap and wore out.  Clearly I'm not thinking correctly...

ketchup

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6084 on: February 10, 2017, 03:13:49 PM »

Major plot twist! Comments on this thread took a positive turn to how much one needs to retire with good arguments to combat the complainers. Someone even mentioned MMM, and now there are over 500 comments with the most recent debating the merits of early retirement vs part time work. Guess I should have posted on the anti-anti-mustachian thread. Proud of my colleagues! Any optometrists on here who would like to chat, please PM me.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk
Nice!  My parents are both optometrists and they've said they hear a lot of moaning like that so I'm glad people were there to straighten them out.

RentSeeking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6085 on: February 10, 2017, 08:49:08 PM »
When my company started paying our expenses late I had a mild dose of panic because that is what happens when a company has crap cash flow and is about to start folding or canning people. It turned out they were just crap at maths and the US hadn't accounted for our public holidays properly.

Our expenses are always inconsistent--but only because our outsourced accountants are somehow not good at actually cutting checks.

tallen

• Stubble
« Reply #6086 on: February 10, 2017, 09:02:01 PM »
Jeez, I guess whenever I saw someone with a new phone case I just assumed the old one was cheap and wore out.  Clearly I'm not thinking correctly...

Literally the only reason I get a new phone case is it broken, couldn't care less how it looks as long as it protects the phone. I've usually kept the same case for the life of the phone and any decals or designs are wore off by that time also. Just the other day my wife's "kickstand" broke on her phone and she said I should order her a new case off ebay. Instead, since we have the same phones and cases I detached the  kickstand off mine and put it on hers since I hardly use it anyway.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #6087 on: February 10, 2017, 10:01:49 PM »

I wasn't too hot on it. Wasn't as bad as it could have been, I guess.
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

VeggieTable

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6088 on: February 11, 2017, 01:26:46 PM »
A former co-worker of mine just posted about how she has saves "so much time and $$$" by using a company called Dream Dinners. According to her, it's great b/c she doesn't have to shop, just shows up to the store to cook her food, then she doesn't have to prep every night.

Well, I looked up Dream Dinners to see if it was actually a good deal. I already figured it wasn't, since this FB friend is not known for her financial prowess. Turns out the dinners come in packs of 3 or 6 servings & there is no discount for buying more servings - it's just double the price. The cheapest meal I could find was $16.15 for 3 servings, or $5.38 per serving. Most of the other meals are about $21 for 3 servings, or $7/serving. And you still have to prepare them! I honestly cannot figure out how she thinks this is a good deal, especially when the most time-consuming part is cooking IMO. I could accomplish the same thing by grocery shopping on my own then batch-cooking one afternoon. If I'm paying $7/person, I better be getting a fully cooked meal with zero work on my part.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. This is the same person who just *had* to upgrade her gas-guzzling SUV to an even larger SUV with third-row seating when her second child was born. I told DH about that and his (sarcastic) response was, "Makes sense. Two babies, two rows."

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6089 on: February 11, 2017, 06:57:40 PM »

Damnit man, I'm trying to convince a baby it's sleep time here.

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6090 on: February 12, 2017, 09:04:25 AM »
Another dumpster fire from the local Buy Nothing group...

Even if she finds a good Samaritan to give her a car free and clear (who the !@#$ keeps a spare lying around in this zipcode), the parking alone is going to cost just as much as a couple zipcar rides per month.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6091 on: February 13, 2017, 07:15:36 AM »
There are a shocking number of my acquaintances who pop up on Facebook typing "AMEN" into the comments of a cheesy stock photo promising that they will be blessed with money for doing so.

Most of them would benefit from spending their time looking for a goddamned job instead of typing AMEN all day long.

Vindicated

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6092 on: February 13, 2017, 07:32:57 AM »
There are a shocking number of my acquaintances who pop up on Facebook typing "AMEN" into the comments of a cheesy stock photo promising that they will be blessed with money for doing so.

Most of them would benefit from spending their time looking for a goddamned job instead of typing AMEN all day long.
My MMM Journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/my-almost-perfect-life-experience/

"One thing alone is certain, that man's slavery grows and increases. Man is becoming a willing slave. He no longer needs chains. He begins to grow fond of his slavery, to be proud of it. And this is the most terrible thing that can happen to a man. - G.I. Gurdjieff

marielle

• Bristles
« Reply #6093 on: February 14, 2017, 06:16:18 AM »
I feel like I could post something from Facebook everyday.

I love when people sell barely used stuff. I get to reap all the benefits.

Also...they don't want it just because it's too small but "must sell"? I guess they can't afford their new bigger camper without selling this one?

JAYSLOL

• Bristles
« Reply #6094 on: February 14, 2017, 04:49:18 PM »
This is my favourite from todays Facebook Buy and Sell page

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6095 on: February 14, 2017, 05:43:11 PM »

I wouldn't call it a remake. More like ... well, not really even a reboot - a re-try?

In any case, I thought it was excellent. Really, really fucking great.

Unfortunately the advertising for the movie was terrible - they focused on it being 3d, as opposed to focusing on it being an awesome fucking movie - and as a result it's basically a cult classic and not much more. (Though an almost-instant cult classic.) As a result, they're unlikely to make a second one, which is unfortunate. Karl Urban was incredible as Dredd.

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6096 on: February 15, 2017, 12:50:37 AM »
I saw an advert for a new car. The advert was for leasing it. Somehow the fine print caught my eye: "there is no ownership option for this model". Yikes! Not only have I been completely unaware that leasing cars was a thing in this country but now they are making "must have" cars that you cannot buy outright.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #6097 on: February 15, 2017, 01:09:33 AM »
I saw an advert for a new car. The advert was for leasing it. Somehow the fine print caught my eye: "there is no ownership option for this model". Yikes! Not only have I been completely unaware that leasing cars was a thing in this country but now they are making "must have" cars that you cannot buy outright.
Then it's impossible to "have", now, isn't it? If you can't acquire it, you can't have it. Leasing it really isn't the same as having it. There are certain liberties one cannot take.
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

marielle

• Bristles
« Reply #6098 on: February 15, 2017, 07:38:46 AM »
If this even sells for what they're listing for, that's a $1450 loss for a 5-month old couch that was "barely sat on". Maybe more if it was on credit?

Why did you buy it if it was barely sat on...

Inaya

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6099 on: February 15, 2017, 08:22:18 AM »
If this even sells for what they're listing for, that's a $1450 loss for a 5-month old couch that was "barely sat on". Maybe more if it was on credit?

Why did you buy it if it was barely sat on...
Maybe they mean that although they sat on it every day, they only sat on the very edge?
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/