Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081750 times)

RentSeeking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #6000 on: February 10, 2017, 08:49:08 PM »
When my company started paying our expenses late I had a mild dose of panic because that is what happens when a company has crap cash flow and is about to start folding or canning people. It turned out they were just crap at maths and the US hadn't accounted for our public holidays properly.

Our expenses are always inconsistent--but only because our outsourced accountants are somehow not good at actually cutting checks.

tallen

• Stubble
« Reply #6001 on: February 10, 2017, 09:02:01 PM »
Jeez, I guess whenever I saw someone with a new phone case I just assumed the old one was cheap and wore out.  Clearly I'm not thinking correctly...

Literally the only reason I get a new phone case is it broken, couldn't care less how it looks as long as it protects the phone. I've usually kept the same case for the life of the phone and any decals or designs are wore off by that time also. Just the other day my wife's "kickstand" broke on her phone and she said I should order her a new case off ebay. Instead, since we have the same phones and cases I detached the  kickstand off mine and put it on hers since I hardly use it anyway.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #6002 on: February 10, 2017, 10:01:49 PM »
Man, now I want to watch it again.  For those in Scandinavia, Demolition Man is only available on Netflix in your region for some reason.

Me too, I didn't find the movie to be particularly good, but I would like to give them another chance. Maybe I'll also check out the original Judge Dredd as well.

The remake of Dredd from a couple years ago is surprisingly good.
I wasn't too hot on it. Wasn't as bad as it could have been, I guess.

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #6003 on: February 11, 2017, 01:26:46 PM »
A former co-worker of mine just posted about how she has saves "so much time and $$$" by using a company called Dream Dinners. According to her, it's great b/c she doesn't have to shop, just shows up to the store to cook her food, then she doesn't have to prep every night.

Well, I looked up Dream Dinners to see if it was actually a good deal. I already figured it wasn't, since this FB friend is not known for her financial prowess. Turns out the dinners come in packs of 3 or 6 servings & there is no discount for buying more servings - it's just double the price. The cheapest meal I could find was $16.15 for 3 servings, or $5.38 per serving. Most of the other meals are about $21 for 3 servings, or $7/serving. And you still have to prepare them! I honestly cannot figure out how she thinks this is a good deal, especially when the most time-consuming part is cooking IMO. I could accomplish the same thing by grocery shopping on my own then batch-cooking one afternoon. If I'm paying $7/person, I better be getting a fully cooked meal with zero work on my part.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. This is the same person who just *had* to upgrade her gas-guzzling SUV to an even larger SUV with third-row seating when her second child was born. I told DH about that and his (sarcastic) response was, "Makes sense. Two babies, two rows."

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6004 on: February 11, 2017, 06:57:40 PM »
No one I know, or if it is, not visiting their house

Haha, horsepoor doesn't know how to use the three sea shells!!

Damnit man, I'm trying to convince a baby it's sleep time here.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6005 on: February 12, 2017, 09:04:25 AM »
Another dumpster fire from the local Buy Nothing group...

Even if she finds a good Samaritan to give her a car free and clear (who the !@#$ keeps a spare lying around in this zipcode), the parking alone is going to cost just as much as a couple zipcar rides per month.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6006 on: February 13, 2017, 07:15:36 AM »
There are a shocking number of my acquaintances who pop up on Facebook typing "AMEN" into the comments of a cheesy stock photo promising that they will be blessed with money for doing so.

Most of them would benefit from spending their time looking for a goddamned job instead of typing AMEN all day long.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6007 on: February 13, 2017, 07:32:57 AM »
There are a shocking number of my acquaintances who pop up on Facebook typing "AMEN" into the comments of a cheesy stock photo promising that they will be blessed with money for doing so.

Most of them would benefit from spending their time looking for a goddamned job instead of typing AMEN all day long.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6008 on: February 14, 2017, 06:16:18 AM »
I feel like I could post something from Facebook everyday.

I love when people sell barely used stuff. I get to reap all the benefits.

Also...they don't want it just because it's too small but "must sell"? I guess they can't afford their new bigger camper without selling this one?

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6009 on: February 14, 2017, 04:49:18 PM »
This is my favourite from todays Facebook Buy and Sell page

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6010 on: February 14, 2017, 05:43:11 PM »
The remake of Dredd from a couple years ago is surprisingly good.

I wouldn't call it a remake. More like ... well, not really even a reboot - a re-try?

In any case, I thought it was excellent. Really, really fucking great.

Unfortunately the advertising for the movie was terrible - they focused on it being 3d, as opposed to focusing on it being an awesome fucking movie - and as a result it's basically a cult classic and not much more. (Though an almost-instant cult classic.) As a result, they're unlikely to make a second one, which is unfortunate. Karl Urban was incredible as Dredd.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6011 on: February 15, 2017, 12:50:37 AM »
I saw an advert for a new car. The advert was for leasing it. Somehow the fine print caught my eye: "there is no ownership option for this model". Yikes! Not only have I been completely unaware that leasing cars was a thing in this country but now they are making "must have" cars that you cannot buy outright.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #6012 on: February 15, 2017, 01:09:33 AM »
I saw an advert for a new car. The advert was for leasing it. Somehow the fine print caught my eye: "there is no ownership option for this model". Yikes! Not only have I been completely unaware that leasing cars was a thing in this country but now they are making "must have" cars that you cannot buy outright.
Then it's impossible to "have", now, isn't it? If you can't acquire it, you can't have it. Leasing it really isn't the same as having it. There are certain liberties one cannot take.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6013 on: February 15, 2017, 07:38:46 AM »
If this even sells for what they're listing for, that's a $1450 loss for a 5-month old couch that was "barely sat on". Maybe more if it was on credit?

Why did you buy it if it was barely sat on...

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6014 on: February 15, 2017, 08:22:18 AM »
If this even sells for what they're listing for, that's a $1450 loss for a 5-month old couch that was "barely sat on". Maybe more if it was on credit?

Maybe they mean that although they sat on it every day, they only sat on the very edge?

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6015 on: February 15, 2017, 10:04:44 AM »
Given that it was 5 months old and the expected life for a couch is, what, 10 years?  I'd qualify that as "barely sat on".  OR, it was in a room, maybe a formal living room, that was rarely used, so it truly was barely sat on.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6016 on: February 15, 2017, 10:34:50 AM »
Given that it was 5 months old and the expected life for a couch is, what, 10 years?  I'd qualify that as "barely sat on".  OR, it was in a room, maybe a formal living room, that was rarely used, so it truly was barely sat on.

I hope they meant that it was barely sat on due to age, and not due to lack of use. Because that means someone bought a $2700 couch just to look pretty.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #6017 on: February 15, 2017, 11:00:40 AM »

I hope they meant that it was barely sat on due to age, and not due to lack of use. Because that means someone bought a $2700 couch just to look pretty.
Would that really surprise you though?

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #6018 on: February 15, 2017, 11:17:10 AM »

DW and I were at a furniture store some years back, and the salesman mentioned that most of their clients were people who regularly, like every 5-8 years, bought new furniture to "freshen the look of their house". 

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6019 on: February 15, 2017, 11:19:22 AM »

DW and I were at a furniture store some years back, and the salesman mentioned that most of their clients were people who regularly, like every 5-8 years, bought new furniture to "freshen the look of their house".

Well, depending on what it is, that makes sense.  I mean, a couch used daily is only going to last so long.  A table probably lasts longer, same with a hutch.  A mattress probably similar to a couch.  At some point for most people, things with upholstery are going to look so shabby that people will want to replace them.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6020 on: February 15, 2017, 11:22:21 AM »

Well, depending on what it is, that makes sense.  I mean, a couch used daily is only going to last so long.  A table probably lasts longer, same with a hutch.  A mattress probably similar to a couch.  At some point for most people, things with upholstery are going to look so shabby that people will want to replace them.
I wonder if they have 6 kids?  If their kids are anything like mine, those sofas may *need* to be replaced after 5 years. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6021 on: February 15, 2017, 11:24:11 AM »

I wish I could find out who these people are just so I could take their "old" couches off their hand. I'm still steamed at one of my mom's friends who a few weeks before I was closing was getting all new couches and so was happy to allow me to pick them up, but then decided it wasn't worth the hassle of picking up the phone (I was trying to get a hold of her to find out when I could pick them up) and so instead called and paid a company to dispose of them. They were beautiful couches too!

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #6022 on: February 15, 2017, 11:42:01 AM »

I wonder if they have 6 kids?  If their kids are anything like mine, those sofas may *need* to be replaced after 5 years.
My grandma makes furniture slips for this exact reason. She has had the same couch/loveseat set for over 20 years.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6023 on: February 15, 2017, 11:51:01 AM »
Seems like a good deal... I'm actually surprised they were able to buy anything from Raped over a Barrel for under $4k.

Couches are like the one furniture item I consider semi-disposable.  I'll treat most furniture as BIFL and pay extra for solid wood, timeless designs, etc.  But as far as I know there is no such thing as a BIFL couch.  The padding and fabric will need to be replaced every so often.  I'd rather buy a cheaper version that can be "trendy" with the knowledge that it'll only last 5-10 years.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 11:54:03 AM by dragoncar »

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #6024 on: February 15, 2017, 12:19:52 PM »

We bought a sectional off someone on Nextdoor last fall. I don't know if it qualified as "barely sat on" but it was in pristine condition. Little wear and they professionally cleaned/maintained it.  It was a $4k couch from C&B and we bought it for $1k or a little less. The seller was gutting the interior of their house to redecorate and wanted something new. The interior of the house was already gorgeous.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6025 on: February 15, 2017, 12:39:33 PM »

We bought a sectional off someone on Nextdoor last fall. I don't know if it qualified as "barely sat on" but it was in pristine condition. Little wear and they professionally cleaned/maintained it.  It was a $4k couch from C&B and we bought it for $1k or a little less. The seller was gutting the interior of their house to redecorate and wanted something new. The interior of the house was already gorgeous.

Ugh, I feel like some of these people just get bored with certain looks/arrangements over time. I get it, I'm like that too. But I don't spend thousands on new furniture when I get bored. I'd rather just move to a new place or rearrange some furniture...

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6026 on: February 15, 2017, 02:14:18 PM »

My grandma makes furniture slips for this exact reason. She has had the same couch/loveseat set for over 20 years.

The IKEA Ektorp is the modern version ;) cheap, surprisingly comfortable and durable, and the slipcover can be removed/washed due to milk/baby-related fluids/sticky toddler hands/food/etc.

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #6027 on: February 15, 2017, 02:33:31 PM »
i get bored but i am both young and, like marielle, move regularly

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6028 on: February 15, 2017, 04:27:04 PM »
The IKEA Ektorp is the modern version ;) cheap, surprisingly comfortable and durable, and the slipcover can be removed/washed due to milk/baby-related fluids/sticky toddler hands/food/etc.

I love the Pancakes and French Fries review of the Ektorp in white.

http://pancakesandfrenchfries.com/2013/06/revie-ektorp-sectional/

The Mister didn’t want a white sofa because it would show the dirt. I have never, ever understood this argument... Of course the dirt will show! But here’s the thing. Even if you buy a black sofa and therefore never see the dirt, newsflash Inspector: THE DIRT IS STILL THERE.

Can't argue with that logic.

She also explains in detail her process for washing the slipcovers.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6029 on: February 16, 2017, 05:51:48 AM »
This is one thing I've never understood about MMM's yearly spending reports.

I mean, we can all agree that spending £2k on a sofa to 'barely' sit on it is ridiculous. I have never replaced a piece of furniture to 'freshen' the look of anything.

But, being now 34, the furniture I bought for my first place (aged 22) is getting near replacement. Mainly a sofa and mattress. Actually, the mattress was a hand-me-down from my parents... who knows how old that is.

MMM never seems to have these big one-off purchases. Is he buying everything used? I did once own a used mattress (was living abroad at University, I didn't have much choice, it was buy used or sleep on the wooden floor - I slept on the mattress on the floor instead). But now I have a significant net worth... nah, I'm not going to buy a used mattress.

Now, table? Sure, I'd PREFER used, more character, less environmental impact. But sofa and mattress? I will buy new. How does MMM do it?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6030 on: February 16, 2017, 08:00:12 AM »
This is one thing I've never understood about MMM's yearly spending reports.

I mean, we can all agree that spending £2k on a sofa to 'barely' sit on it is ridiculous. I have never replaced a piece of furniture to 'freshen' the look of anything.

But, being now 34, the furniture I bought for my first place (aged 22) is getting near replacement. Mainly a sofa and mattress. Actually, the mattress was a hand-me-down from my parents... who knows how old that is.

MMM never seems to have these big one-off purchases. Is he buying everything used? I did once own a used mattress (was living abroad at University, I didn't have much choice, it was buy used or sleep on the wooden floor - I slept on the mattress on the floor instead). But now I have a significant net worth... nah, I'm not going to buy a used mattress.

Now, table? Sure, I'd PREFER used, more character, less environmental impact. But sofa and mattress? I will buy new. How does MMM do it?

I'd need to live in an area with less bedbug issues to be comfortable with a used mattress or upholstered furniture. (Ok, I have 2 hand-me-down couches from houses I know and can confirm were bedbug-free.)

But yeah, "buy used" is the running theme.

Of course, even buying used will cost some. We've spent the past 2 years setting up a house and decorating and whatnot, and even building/buying used/sewing/etc only cuts down costs so far.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6031 on: February 16, 2017, 08:12:14 AM »
New couches and mattresses don't have to be very expensive.  I'm sure MMM can absorb say $1K per 5 years in furniture replacements into his budget.

Our couches are about 10 years old, and even with dogs spending plenty of time on them, they're fine, and I expect another 5-10 years out of them.  They're microfiber and weren't particularly expensive (Ashley furniture, and we even paid retail!).  I think the queen mattress and box spring that now resides in our guest bedroom was ~$400 new on sale.  Amortized over a 10 year lifespan, it's pretty insignificant.

FIREwoman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6032 on: February 16, 2017, 08:34:13 AM »

I love the Pancakes and French Fries review of the Ektorp in white.

http://pancakesandfrenchfries.com/2013/06/revie-ektorp-sectional/

The Mister didn’t want a white sofa because it would show the dirt. I have never, ever understood this argument... Of course the dirt will show! But here’s the thing. Even if you buy a black sofa and therefore never see the dirt, newsflash Inspector: THE DIRT IS STILL THERE.

Can't argue with that logic.

She also explains in detail her process for washing the slipcovers.

i bought an ektorp in the fall and love it. i bought it with the cheapest slipcover and timed it with a sale, an ikea coupon, and 5% cash back on one of my cards to furniture stores (ikea counts).

also, over two visits i found a complete set of matching slipcovers in the "as-is" section for way less than half price. nothing wrong with them except a scuff mark on one that completely washed out.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6033 on: February 16, 2017, 08:34:38 AM »
New couches and mattresses don't have to be very expensive.  I'm sure MMM can absorb say $1K per 5 years in furniture replacements into his budget.

Oh I'm not saying he can't afford it! I'm saying I've followed his spending reports for, like, 5 years, and I've never noticed big one-off expenditures like this. I was wondering how he avoided the inevitable "my soft furnishings need replacing" since he talks of having a lovely home and from what I've seen in pictures it looks very nice. I don't think he is amortising the cost, from what I recall.

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #6034 on: February 16, 2017, 01:33:35 PM »
After 7 years, we replaced the used couch we bought for 1€ with an 8-month-old Ektorp for 80€. If we continue at this rate, we'll have to buy a 6400€ sofa in a few years.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #6035 on: February 16, 2017, 01:39:07 PM »
After living on my own for 7 years, I have a fully furnished house and have only ever paid for my mattress/box spring set. Everything else was given to me from friends or family that were clearing out space or upgrading their furnishings.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6036 on: February 16, 2017, 02:04:11 PM »

Oh I'm not saying he can't afford it! I'm saying I've followed his spending reports for, like, 5 years, and I've never noticed big one-off expenditures like this. I was wondering how he avoided the inevitable "my soft furnishings need replacing" since he talks of having a lovely home and from what I've seen in pictures it looks very nice. I don't think he is amortising the cost, from what I recall.
We bought our sofa 10 years ago.
Our last mattress was 20 years old.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #6037 on: February 16, 2017, 02:09:16 PM »

What!!! They said on TV that you have to "replace every eight" (mattress)

Of course, this was an advertisement from a mattress company. I'm sure they just have our best interests at heart.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6038 on: February 16, 2017, 02:16:48 PM »

What!!! They said on TV that you have to "replace every eight" (mattress)

Of course, this was an advertisement from a mattress company. I'm sure they just have our best interests at heart.

This is interesting. My mattress is eight next month.

I had always heard 10 years for a mattress but figured I would just reassess when we got there.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6039 on: February 16, 2017, 02:23:48 PM »
Just realized my mattress is about 8 years old.  It feels brand new to me.  I'm not getting a new one any time soon...

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6040 on: February 16, 2017, 02:26:05 PM »
We just replaced ours. Was 17-18 years old. Looked good. Smelled fine. Was lumpy. New mattress helps us sleep REALLY well. No more morning aches.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6041 on: February 16, 2017, 02:36:23 PM »
My mattress is about 7 years old and I'm toying with buying a new one. I'm going to flip it this weekend when I am washing my sheets and see if it helps.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6042 on: February 16, 2017, 02:43:09 PM »
We just replaced ours. Was 17-18 years old. Looked good. Smelled fine. Was lumpy. New mattress helps us sleep REALLY well. No more morning aches.

And that's when a mattress is worth replacing. Good sleep matters.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6043 on: February 16, 2017, 04:23:46 PM »
I think MMM just hasn't been reporting expenses long enough to have such purchases.  He's certainly not one to buy a new sofa just to update a look. And sofas can last a very long time.

My sofa will be 20 years old this fall.  I sit on it every single day, and it is still just fine.  It wasn't trendy at the time of purchase, so isn't horribly dated looking now.  I just looked up that purchase (yes, my spending records go back that far), and I bought it from Montgomery Ward (anyone remember them?) in 1997 for $701.42.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6044 on: February 16, 2017, 04:49:02 PM »

And that's when a mattress is worth replacing. Good sleep matters.

I'm a fan of good quality 100% foam mattresses.  They can last 20 years.  Other fibers/springs will compact and become lumpy.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6045 on: February 17, 2017, 07:37:35 AM »
I suspect that foam in 2017 is not the same as foam in 1982 but my foam mattress from when I was a kid eventually had a human shaped dip in the middle of the mattress after about ten years. 

I have not tried a modern foam mattress as an adult.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #6046 on: February 17, 2017, 07:54:51 AM »
I'm a big fan of just getting a super cheap, extra firm mattress and getting a topper that is super comfy. Much easier and cheaper to replace just the topper when the time comes (going on 6th year of the topper now)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6047 on: February 17, 2017, 11:50:45 AM »
I'm a big fan of just getting a super cheap, extra firm mattress and getting a topper that is super comfy. Much easier and cheaper to replace just the topper when the time comes (going on 6th year of the topper now)

I think the base will inevitably deform and you'll have to replace it.

Fwiw I have a 10 year old foam mattress that hasn't deformed at all.  Don't know about 90s era.

I also have a fancy conventional mattress that's 15 years old and did get some deformation but it mostly acceptable still.  But it cost like 2x as much, is not more comfortable, and degraded faster

Of course it all depends on the foam quality and that's hard to know 20 years in advance (how many manufacturers have been in business 20 years and still use the same formula?)  20 years is a guess based on quality testing.

briesas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6048 on: February 17, 2017, 05:16:05 PM »
Have a recent ex-roommate that I have lots of stories about, but here is a recent one from FB. Ex-roomate posts that she missed a week of work due to caring for her boyfriend. Boyfriend is disabled, and usually has a paid caregiver, so legitimately needs care at times. Ex roommate and boyfriend live in his parents house. Apparently ex-roommate never discussed the caregiving with the parents, and now due to missing one week of work (30 hours a week at 11/hr, according to her she can't work more or she "gets sick"), "now  won't be able to afford part of my rent, car insurance, gas, phone bill and food until my next paycheck. " Can anyone please help?

AFAIK, she did not get any takers, but one person asked why she hadn't made alternate rent arrangements with the parents for the time she was doing the caregiving.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #6049 on: February 20, 2017, 11:19:56 AM »
I joined a "high-end yardsale" group, and it is a goldmine of shameful consumerism! The minimum price to post is $200, which seems kind of arbitrary, but whatever. Today I saw a post for a pair of Adidas sneakers for $600. I looked them up (Yeezy is the model), and they are $1400 on jet.com. WTF? This particular pair is also size 6 men's. Good luck with that, sir.

A few people posted pictures of their recent receipts, I guess to prove that the item is not stolen or fake, but really just shows what a dumbass the person is. One showed that someone paid $3250 for a purse. She wanted $2500 for the thing. Hahahahahahaha!

I so much want to troll these poor/soon to be poor folks, but I would probably get banned from the page. How can people not see that there is no pair of shoes or piece of leather on earth that is worth that much of their hard-earned cash? Or see that the difference between the price of these "luxury" goods and regular goods is a blatant ripoff going directly to the shareholders of the corporations? How can these companies possibly be in business selling at those prices?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!