Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082360 times)

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #5850 on: January 24, 2017, 12:26:01 AM »
Interesting use of "acquire your dream car" rather than "buy".

Oh well. A couple hundred dollars isn't very much to learn what type of person somebody is I guess.

It is a bargain, I hope things work out or you are able to draw a line under the incident swiftly. I also heartily dislike the offer of buying dinner instead of cash (or delaying the return of the cash).

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #5851 on: January 24, 2017, 01:24:31 AM »

There are so many more exciting options than 'buying' a dream car. :D

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5852 on: January 24, 2017, 06:25:18 AM »
<head shake>

In the last Grand Tour the boys each got older Maseratis and that all worked out; only had one fire.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5853 on: January 24, 2017, 07:54:20 AM »
SIL sent private messages to everyone she knows trying to get donations for her kids' soccer teams. This happens every couple of months. I've muted her after the last one, so I hadn't noticed she asked me again (she also asked DW). Today, she texts DW:

"I'm sending people fb messages to do it and if they don't, I'm deleting them. If you can't help my kid then u don't need to see my posts"

because one kid got $1k and the other got $600. We haven't given anything this time because it's all too much.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5854 on: January 24, 2017, 08:07:52 AM »
"I'm sending people fb messages to do it and if they don't, I'm deleting them. If you can't help my kid then u don't need to see my posts"

That sounds like a win.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5855 on: January 24, 2017, 08:13:20 AM »
SIL sent private messages to everyone she knows trying to get donations for her kids' soccer teams. This happens every couple of months. I've muted her after the last one, so I hadn't noticed she asked me again (she also asked DW). Today, she texts DW:

because one kid got $1k and the other got $600. We haven't given anything this time because it's all too much.

I'd just accidentally mention it to my mom. My mom will sort my sister out with a well deserved reaming.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #5856 on: January 24, 2017, 08:20:45 AM »

I'm sure there's absolutely nothing in their monthly spending that they could cut to free up money for their kids' entertainment budget.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5857 on: January 24, 2017, 08:23:51 AM »

That sounds like a win.

That's what I said to DW.

I'm sure there's absolutely nothing in the budget that they could cut to free up money for their kids' entertainment budget.

Well, with the ginormous house, the three trucks/SUVs, etc, I think they're locked into begging for handouts at this point. They were having their health insurance paid for by MIL for a few years (to the tune of $2k/month), but that's stopped now that MIL is on Medicare.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5858 on: January 24, 2017, 08:47:21 AM »
That sounds like a win.
Parent has a reallllllly high opinion of how much people are enjoying the posts. I'm sure there is some great entertainment in there among all the begging.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5859 on: January 24, 2017, 09:21:30 AM »

Oh well. A couple hundred dollars isn't very much to learn what type of person somebody is I guess.

It is a bargain, I hope things work out or you are able to draw a line under the incident swiftly. I also heartily dislike the offer of buying dinner instead of cash (or delaying the return of the cash).

Easier to put a meal on a credit card in lieu of cash they don't really have? Maybe the $30 meal is supposed to equal the payback of $200?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5860 on: January 24, 2017, 09:35:30 AM »
That sounds like a win.
Parent has a reallllllly high opinion of how much people are enjoying the posts. I'm sure there is some great entertainment in there among all the begging.
ha ha yup

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5861 on: January 24, 2017, 09:54:19 AM »
What happened to finding a patch of grass/dirt/concrete, setting two objects down for the posts, and finding other kids to kick the ball around with?

Recreational soccer is one of the cheapest activities ever. You just need shoes and a ball. Studs, coaches, moms, and minivans are completely optional.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5862 on: January 24, 2017, 09:55:16 AM »
That sounds like a win.

lol, yeah what the fuck.

That's a win man.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5863 on: January 24, 2017, 12:01:15 PM »
What happened to finding a patch of grass/dirt/concrete, setting two objects down for the posts, and finding other kids to kick the ball around with?

Recreational soccer is one of the cheapest activities ever. You just need shoes and a ball. Studs, coaches, moms, and minivans are completely optional.

I've always heard and assumed that's one of the reasons it's the most popular sport in the world. Bare bones requirements as compared to American football or (holy sh$t you can spend a lot) hockey.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5864 on: January 24, 2017, 12:16:44 PM »

I've always heard and assumed that's one of the reasons it's the most popular sport in the world. Bare bones requirements as compared to American football or (holy sh$t you can spend a lot) hockey.

But what about the orange slices?  Everyone knows you can't play soccer without having orange slices on hand, at least judging by my local market on Saturday mornings ...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5865 on: January 24, 2017, 12:33:26 PM »

But what about the orange slices?  Everyone knows you can't play soccer without having orange slices on hand, at least judging by my local market on Saturday mornings ...

I don't think poor kids in the favelas of Brazil worry about not having orange slices for after their match. They have bigger fish to fry....

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5866 on: January 24, 2017, 12:33:36 PM »

The orange slices at the end of the game where the main reason I played soccer as a kid.
/not an athlete

Apparently now, post game snacks are much fancier. Moms have got to stay off of pinterest. Who has time for this sort of thing?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/49/35/00/4935003783e4833a2962a8a7ec3ec626.jpg

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5867 on: January 24, 2017, 01:08:16 PM »

The orange slices at the end of the game where the main reason I played soccer as a kid.
/not an athlete

Apparently now, post game snacks are much fancier. Moms have got to stay off of pinterest. Who has time for this sort of thing?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/49/35/00/4935003783e4833a2962a8a7ec3ec626.jpg

a) OMG get a life.
b) AT LEAST tell me those people are recycling all that useless packaging
c) Not everything in life has to be pinterest-cute, omg, wtf

Disclaimer: I have and use Pinterest. It can be handy. But dear lord, if your artistic and crafty talents are stifled enough that this seems like a good idea, please, for the love of god, get a life.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #5868 on: January 24, 2017, 01:19:29 PM »
a) OMG get a life.

Disclaimer: I have and use Pinterest. It can be handy. But dear lord, if your artistic and crafty talents are stifled enough that this seems like a good idea, please, for the love of god, get a life.

...but what will people THINK OF US if we hand out normal-ass snacks? and if we don't show up in a brand new minivan???

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5869 on: January 24, 2017, 01:37:52 PM »

That has got to have 80 grams of sugar each. OMG.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5870 on: January 24, 2017, 02:26:35 PM »

But think of all the exercise they just did!

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5871 on: January 24, 2017, 03:00:17 PM »

That sounds like a win.

When I still worked various people quit speaking to me at different times.  Quit as in wouldn't say "hi" if we passed in an otherwise deserted hallway.   I never regretted their silence.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5872 on: January 24, 2017, 03:19:00 PM »

And electrolytes? j/k

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #5873 on: January 24, 2017, 05:43:47 PM »

That sounds like a win.

When I still worked various people quit speaking to me at different times.  Quit as in wouldn't say "hi" if we passed in an otherwise deserted hallway.   I never regretted their silence.

I had a few coworkers that I liked better when they were angry and not speaking to me.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5874 on: January 24, 2017, 06:56:05 PM »
a) OMG get a life.

...but what will people THINK OF US if we hand out normal-ass snacks? and if we don't show up in a brand new minivan???

No, minivans are for plebs.  You need like a giant escapade or limousine

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #5875 on: January 24, 2017, 07:18:49 PM »

And electrolytes? j/k
It's what plants crave.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5876 on: January 24, 2017, 09:49:52 PM »

Actually, that is pretty cool, but it's more of the tournament player post-game snack that is handed to the kids (prepared by the fundraising tournament volunteers).   Anyway, the other big hit are giant freezies.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #5877 on: January 25, 2017, 09:11:11 AM »
Indirect acquaintance is having what appears from afar to be a hard time.

Lives someplace very small due to family obligations. Can't get professional career traction (laid off) so they aren't working at all.

Living expenses due so this person sells the family car (paid off basic used car) for 25% of what it is worth to the first person who comes along within hours. Then complains about money some more.

They could have waited several days or a week and see what kind of offers come through...

Can't figure out why they don't uproot the family and move to some place with jobs - even minimum wage jobs. I think it has something to do with an elderly relative who won't leave their long time home but needs care from the friend's spouse.

Tough situation. My impulse would be to get the elderly member into a nursing home - and relocate the spouse and kids to some place nearby with jobs. I hope they don't wind up homeless - well, they won't - they'll eventually capitulate I think and move in with the elderly family member.

Maybe this is a case of choices overload. Seems pretty clear from several states away.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 01:31:25 PM by Tasty Pinecones »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5878 on: January 25, 2017, 09:21:24 AM »

Actually, that is pretty cool, but it's more of the tournament player post-game snack that is handed to the kids (prepared by the fundraising tournament volunteers).   Anyway, the other big hit are giant freezies.

My neighbor made these for her first grade daughter's weekly soccer game. No tournament, no fundraiser.

Obviously other people mat apply the idea differently, but the level of snack required on that team is ridiculous.

She posted her photos on facebook, but they were friends only, so I used the public Pinterest image.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5879 on: January 25, 2017, 01:42:42 PM »

My neighbor made these for her first grade daughter's weekly soccer game. No tournament, no fundraiser.

Obviously other people mat apply the idea differently, but the level of snack required on that team is ridiculous.

She posted her photos on facebook, but they were friends only, so I used the public Pinterest image.

Honesty it sounds like a fun thing to do.  You guys remember fun, right?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5880 on: January 25, 2017, 02:11:49 PM »

When half of every Mom's facebook is how overworked they are and how the demands of being a Mom are too high- I'm not sure it IS fun to make soccer-person snack boxes. It's an obligation. That's expensive, unnecessary, and reeks of needing to keep up with the Joneses. There are probably a few really crafty parents who come up with this stuff and actually love doing it- but it seems to me most do it because they feel they have to.

(And kids don't need snacks for playing a 1 hour game...)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5881 on: January 25, 2017, 02:33:03 PM »

When half of every Mom's facebook is how overworked they are and how the demands of being a Mom are too high- I'm not sure it IS fun to make soccer-person snack boxes. It's an obligation. That's expensive, unnecessary, and reeks of needing to keep up with the Joneses. There are probably a few really crafty parents who come up with this stuff and actually love doing it- but it seems to me most do it because they feel they have to.

(And kids don't need snacks for playing a 1 hour game...)

OK, if you don't like doing it then don't but it sounds fun to me.  Kids may not "need" a snack after a 1 hour game, but they do need to eat every day so this snack could be some of their food.  Do kids need snacks at all?  Maybe it's best to just pour some kid-chow in their bowl every morning?

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #5882 on: January 25, 2017, 04:15:15 PM »

I had fun once. I hated it. [cue Grumpy Cat]

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5883 on: January 25, 2017, 04:26:59 PM »

I'm not against someone doing that sort of thing, but I would be opposed to A) them doing it and then complaining about it, or B) expecting everyone else to follow suit.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5884 on: January 25, 2017, 05:45:16 PM »

I'm not against someone doing that sort of thing, but I would be opposed to A) them doing it and then complaining about it, or B) expecting everyone else to follow suit.

Basically this.

I just sewed a dress for my daughter. I had fun doing it. I enjoy the process. But I'm also not on Facebook whining about effort and time, nor do I expect other parents to just start making all their kids clothing to prove that they care or whatever.

Like, if you have fun doing that, you do you. But I'd personally rather vacuum my floor than make those snacks.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5885 on: January 25, 2017, 06:27:00 PM »

That sounds like a win.

That's what I said to DW.

I'm sure there's absolutely nothing in the budget that they could cut to free up money for their kids' entertainment budget.

Well, with the ginormous house, the three trucks/SUVs, etc, I think they're locked into begging for handouts at this point. They were having their health insurance paid for by MIL for a few years (to the tune of $2k/month), but that's stopped now that MIL is on Medicare.

SIL removed me from Facebook and also said I can't talk to the niece and nephew.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5886 on: January 25, 2017, 06:41:42 PM »
SIL removed me from Facebook and also said I can't talk to the niece and nephew.
Was there an exchange that culminated to this? If so, please entertain us.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5887 on: January 25, 2017, 06:49:01 PM »

Text messages happened, she attacked me as being selfish to DW (though we do a decent amount for them, give them money for birthdays, xmas, etc). DW defended me, and that was that. Because I'm their uncle, it's my duty to give whenever she asks (and she asks for stuff a lot).

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5888 on: January 25, 2017, 07:23:59 PM »

Text messages happened, she attacked me as being selfish to DW (though we do a decent amount for them, give them money for birthdays, xmas, etc). DW defended me, and that was that. Because I'm their uncle, it's my duty to give whenever she asks (and she asks for stuff a lot).
Go Pitagirl. Sounds like a net win for you.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5889 on: January 26, 2017, 06:35:36 AM »

Are people commonly FB friends with people under age?  I made an active decision to not friend anyone under 18 as I will occasionally swear or mention adult topics and I dont want the drama of some parent being pissed at me for dropping an F-bomb on some sweet little innocent 17yo snowflake.  I have fairly few teenagers in the extend family so it does not come up that much but parents seen to have understood when it has. 

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5890 on: January 26, 2017, 06:42:31 AM »

Are people commonly FB friends with people under age?  I made an active decision to not friend anyone under 18 as I will occasionally swear or mention adult topics and I dont want the drama of some parent being pissed at me for dropping an F-bomb on some sweet little innocent 17yo snowflake.  I have fairly few teenagers in the extend family so it does not come up that much but parents seen to have understood when it has.

SIL is older than us by 10 years or so. Niece and nephew are young enough not to have facebook yet.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5891 on: January 26, 2017, 07:57:23 AM »

My rule is no crossing of the generations. Cousins, yes. Aunts, Uncles, parents, no. I just get too much second-hand embarassment from watching friend's parents comment inanely on every.single.post.

It goes down too, I have denied all requests from cousins' children. They would probably feel the second-hand embarrassment for the stuff I post, and I don't want to have a window into their world if they are not comfortable friending their parents, because might I feel obliged to tell the parents if I saw anything untoward? Just an easy way out of that.

I fully admit I'm mean though. My mother thinks this is a personal slight. Do not care.  I use social media for fun, not out of obligation.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #5892 on: January 26, 2017, 08:30:26 AM »

Hmm. I think it depends on what you use social media for. For me, it's a way to keep in touch with distant relatives and to maintain a network of casual friends even when I can't personally spend time with them. This means I've got some FB friends much older than me and others much younger. It hasn't created a conflict yet.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5893 on: January 26, 2017, 08:53:33 AM »
As a 35 year old guy with a young kid, I'm struggling to think of any teenagers I even know.  Even my youngest cousins are in college, and all my nieces and nephews are under 5.  The only teenager I can think of that I currently know is our babysitter, and yeah, friending her on social media would be creepy as fuck.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5894 on: January 26, 2017, 08:59:10 AM »

Hmm. I think it depends on what you use social media for. For me, it's a way to keep in touch with distant relatives and to maintain a network of casual friends even when I can't personally spend time with them. This means I've got some FB friends much older than me and others much younger. It hasn't created a conflict yet.

Yeah, this is a rule I only apply to family. I have friends of many ages. And complex family dynamics, in case you hadn't guessed!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5895 on: January 26, 2017, 09:33:21 AM »
I ice skate, so I often have "friendships" with children as young as 8, because they are in classes from me.  When I get friends requests from anyone under 18, I politely tell them I will wait until they are an adult.  Same applies to my neighbors when the kids try to friend me.

However, a number of my cousins are under 18, and I am friends with them (some are too young to even be on facebook- that's what happens when you are the 2nd oldest cousin on one side of the family; my sister's children are older than some of my cousins).
None of my nieces/nephews are old enough to be on facebook yet.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5896 on: January 26, 2017, 10:07:33 AM »
I'm just going to leave this here.

Even better, the comments were full of bickering with the seller for being out of the area and the seller tagging the admin every time someone tagged a local friend who could make the same thing.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5897 on: January 26, 2017, 10:09:49 AM »
My family is pretty big.  I have cousins ranging from 28 to 10.  Then I have cousins' kids from 7-1.  There's no gap bigger than 3 years, so it's pretty continuous.  So there's no good dividing line.  If they friend me, I'll accept, since I don't really post much anyway. 

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5898 on: January 26, 2017, 10:11:06 AM »

Even better, the comments were full of bickering with the seller for being out of the area and the seller tagging the admin every time someone tagged a local friend who could make the same thing.
That's horrible... they used insure instead of ensure.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5899 on: January 26, 2017, 10:16:35 AM »

That's horrible... they used insure instead of ensure.

Maybe she's actually insuring the shipment?