Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082600 times)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #5700 on: December 27, 2016, 12:37:44 PM »
Girl from high school posts on Facebook the other day how ~blessed~ she is that her income-based payment for student loans this year is $0/month since she had her baby and how excited she was to have that money back each month. I guess she missed the memo that the interest on her loans will continue to grow.

She may have gotten the memo that loans are for given after 25 years of on time payments, but that's a terrible way to live your life, carrying student loans for that long.

Not to mention the remaining balance is taxable income. The government will get their money one way or another.

Yeah that too. Loans forgiven under public service loan forgiveness and student loan forgiveness for teachers aren't taxable, but purely income based repayment plans don't have that benefit.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5701 on: December 27, 2016, 12:38:09 PM »
Finally saw a FB post I can share to get us back on topic.

For context, this acquaintence is always bitching about how they're broke by payday, living is so expensive, just can't seem to get ahead, etc. You know what will help?  Two brand new car payments!

....the day after Christmas & the husband & I got ourselves 2 brand new 2016 Jeep Renegade TrailHawks!!!!
No more '08 Commander or '04 Mazda....
Merry Christmas & definitely a Happy New Year (to come)!!!!
 We both work hard & sacrifice to make this family & household run as smoothly as possible....Thank You, God for guiding us through it all.
#BLESSED #GRATEFUL #THANKFUL #TWINJEEPS #POWERCOUPLE #MAKEITHAPPEN
On the mustachian side: A friend of mine from college just bought a car the day after christmas (2013 RAV4) to replace her 17 year old Camry.  So, yay, people making better choices!

On the anti-mustachian side, FB friend so excited for a last minute trip to Disney with her kids!  Driving. 1100 miles each way.  In an Acadia.  That's easily a few hundred bucks in gas, then $600 in hotel fees, and how much for 3 days at Disney World?  I dunno.  I think they drove straight though, one driver, 16 hours.  Ouch.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5702 on: December 27, 2016, 12:41:54 PM »
I've seen other people using that #POWERCOUPLE hashtag -- it's always people who earn two high incomes and spend all of it on an inflated lifestyle. I wonder how these tags start.
Doesn't the Power come from having a fatter wallet, not thinner?
Bulk that wallet up! Ka Pow!
Any fool can spend, but it takes guts to save.

I always thought a power couple was a pair of power hungry people.  Like, my wife and I are both professionals, but I wouldn't call us a power couple because we aren't scheming to climb the ranks in our industries.  And often to do so, you do need to spend money to keep up appearances to fit into the existing power structure

(I'm not sure keeps qualify, I was thinking more dressing the pet and attending charity events, culture, etc. to mingle with the right people, money to throw parties and so on)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:43:50 PM by dragoncar »

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5703 on: December 27, 2016, 01:01:44 PM »
Girl from high school posts on Facebook the other day how ~blessed~ she is that her income-based payment for student loans this year is $0/month since she had her baby and how excited she was to have that money back each month. I guess she missed the memo that the interest on her loans will continue to grow.

It depends the program. In Canada, federally backed student loans don't accumulate interest if you are on debt repayment assistance (the assistance is that they forgive the ongoing interest and reduce the the minimal payment).

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #5704 on: December 27, 2016, 01:18:36 PM »

It depends the program. In Canada, federally backed student loans don't accumulate interest if you are on debt repayment assistance (the assistance is that they forgive the ongoing interest and reduce the the minimal payment).

Nope. Good ole fashioned US of A here. I then checked to see where she went to college thinking perhaps it was at least a lower cost in-state school. Nope, a private school I've never heard of with an absurdly high acceptance rate (84%) that is $27k/year.

bebegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Sleepless in
« Reply #5705 on: December 27, 2016, 01:26:36 PM »
An FB post on Christmas day in one of ladies' groups I am in:

A scared man and a note above "Checking your bank balance at Christmas".

Comments below:

-Yap :D
-That's me!! ))
-Too funny!
-Exactly :D

I added that I stay within the budget - no need to suffer on Christmas day.

:)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5706 on: December 27, 2016, 02:09:12 PM »
Isn't the average American woman 170 lbs for 5'4 of height?

These impossible beauty standards must not be observed by that many.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/average-weight-american-men-15-pounds-20-years/story?id=41100782

168.5lbs, up from 140lbs in 1960 @ 5'4".

Men went from 166.3lbs in 1960 to 195.7lbs.

Oh, weighed myself an hour ago, I'm a perfect 166lbs.
But I should really lose 10lbs or 12 lbs.
I'm going to start right after I find something to eat!

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #5707 on: December 28, 2016, 06:35:15 AM »
#powercouple....oh bless their hearts

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5708 on: December 28, 2016, 09:46:47 AM »
#powercouple....oh bless their hearts

don't you mean

#blesstheirhearts

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #5709 on: December 28, 2016, 01:09:24 PM »
Keep in mind in re weights:  when comparing from the 50-60's to today that adults from that time went through the great depression and the war.  The malnutrition from those events in childhood and teen years permanently stunted their growth.  Need proof?  Look at the two Korea's.  Genetically identical populations.  One well fed.  The other half starved.  South Korea is showing the full genetic potential of the population in terms of height, muscle mass, etc which naturally will be heavier.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5710 on: December 28, 2016, 01:22:01 PM »
Keep in mind in re weights:  when comparing from the 50-60's to today that adults from that time went through the great depression and the war.  The malnutrition from those events in childhood and teen years permanently stunted their growth.  Need proof?  Look at the two Korea's.  Genetically identical populations.  One well fed.  The other half starved.  South Korea is showing the full genetic potential of the population in terms of height, muscle mass, etc which naturally will be heavier.
Due to mandatory military service, Norway has very good statistics for the height and weight of 18 year old men. The height data goes back to 1878, but comparable weight data only goes to 1995. Still, it is a very clear development, with a relatively steep increase in BMI from 2001 to 2010. In this article, the researches have accessed similar data sets from the 1980s that show an increase in BMI the last 30-40 years. https://www.ssb.no/helse/artikler-og-publikasjoner/vernepliktige-opp-i-vekt

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5711 on: December 28, 2016, 01:31:08 PM »
Apparently, people were going crazy to get their children something called Hatchimals for Christmas.  Someone posted this article on FB: http://www.scarymommy.com/some-hatchimals-didnt-hatch-on-christmas-and-parents-are-out-for-blood/?utm_source=FB

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5712 on: December 28, 2016, 01:33:06 PM »
Due to mandatory military service, Norway has very good statistics for the height and weight of 18 year old men. The height data goes back to 1878, but comparable weight data only goes to 1995. Still, it is a very clear development, with a relatively steep increase in BMI from 2001 to 2010. In this article, the researches have accessed similar data sets from the 1980s that show an increase in BMI the last 30-40 years. https://www.ssb.no/helse/artikler-og-publikasjoner/vernepliktige-opp-i-vekt

I think he's saying increased BMI could be due to increased muscle mass.  And it could.  It could also be due to increased brain size.  Americans are basically just so much smarter and muscly than we used to be.   

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5713 on: December 28, 2016, 02:17:29 PM »

I think he's saying increased BMI could be due to increased muscle mass.  And it could.  It could also be due to increased brain size.  Americans are basically just so much smarter and muscly than we used to be.
Nah, it's all the Asian meathead tech workers who come here for work skewing the stats.

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5714 on: December 28, 2016, 02:31:54 PM »
  I was all geared up to write a rebuttal, then I read your post again and busted up laughing.  Good one!  You got me.  It went right over my head until I slowed down and read the last sentence again . . .

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5715 on: December 28, 2016, 02:51:33 PM »
Apparently, people were going crazy to get their children something called Hatchimals for Christmas.  Someone posted this article on FB: http://www.scarymommy.com/some-hatchimals-didnt-hatch-on-christmas-and-parents-are-out-for-blood/?utm_source=FB

People were going crazy! Canadians importing them from Germany or buying ones for hundreds of dollars on the ebay market. My daughter mentioned them to me months ago and was sooooo excited. Being older now it freaks me out to see how targeted and effective advertising is.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #5716 on: December 28, 2016, 03:11:12 PM »

People were going crazy! Canadians importing them from Germany or buying ones for hundreds of dollars on the ebay market. My daughter mentioned them to me months ago and was sooooo excited. Being older now it freaks me out to see how targeted and effective advertising is.

The facebook garage sale sites had several postings, one of them had hundreds of comments from people bitching about how greedy people were making a profit on them. I guess the manufacturers and retailers are exempt from scorn for their profits.

It provided a great lesson on supply and demand for everyone involved though! Pay a high price or don't get one. The free market ensures there will always be adequate supply (see Uber surge pricing).

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5717 on: December 28, 2016, 03:15:42 PM »
Guy that graduated a couple years ago (engineering) has three cars. A brand spanking new Camaro, an older Miata he uses for racing, and a V8 Pontiac Bonneville. He constantly posts pictures of them, like before and after wash pictures. I'm pretty sure he's still entry level or maybe slightly above.

Several others have two cars. Like a jeep and a truck, a jeep and a new Lexus, a van and a new Camaro (this one graduated just a few months ago and also bought a house shortly after graduation), just to give a few examples. Half of them are single, other have are dating (not married). None of them have kids. These cars do not include the girlfriends' cars either.

You'd judge the shit outta me, then. I haven't had just one car since 2005.  :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:18:00 PM by JLee »

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #5718 on: December 28, 2016, 03:30:55 PM »
Finally saw a FB post I can share to get us back on topic.

For context, this acquaintence is always bitching about how they're broke by payday, living is so expensive, just can't seem to get ahead, etc. You know what will help?  Two brand new car payments!

....the day after Christmas & the husband & I got ourselves 2 brand new 2016 Jeep Renegade TrailHawks!!!!
No more '08 Commander or '04 Mazda....
Merry Christmas & definitely a Happy New Year (to come)!!!!
 We both work hard & sacrifice to make this family & household run as smoothly as possible....Thank You, God for guiding us through it all.
#BLESSED #GRATEFUL #THANKFUL #TWINJEEPS #POWERCOUPLE #MAKEITHAPPEN

Well the #POWERCOUPLE keeps posting photos and status updates about their latest "accomplishments", of course there's lots of "Congratulations! "

... congratulations on not having credit so abysmal that you still qualify for a loan?
congratulations on sacrificing your family's long-term financial security for some expensive toys?
congratulations on teaching your kids that it's a good idea to pay thousands of dollars of depreciation in a single day, and to go broke trying to look rich?

Latest update -
...when that new car smell makes you feel like the BOSS that you ARE!!!!
💯👊👑💪🙋🌟

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5719 on: December 28, 2016, 03:32:25 PM »

The facebook garage sale sites had several postings, one of them had hundreds of comments from people bitching about how greedy people were making a profit on them. I guess the manufacturers and retailers are exempt from scorn for their profits.

It provided a great lesson on supply and demand for everyone involved though! Pay a high price or don't get one. The free market ensures there will always be adequate supply (see Uber surge pricing).
If only there was a way to short sell toys...

Toffeemama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5720 on: December 28, 2016, 05:01:18 PM »

That's one small(but wonderful) thing about home schooling: My kids aren't nearly as exposed to the latest fad as other kids.  They'd still heard of Hatchimals, and thought they were neat, but they hadn't been marinating in the "gotta buy it!" broth that everyone else seemed to have. 

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5721 on: December 28, 2016, 11:21:32 PM »

After reading that (in English), I just have to say that Google Translate is amazingly awesome.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5722 on: December 29, 2016, 02:16:38 AM »

If only there was a way to short sell toys...

Give holiday presents in February?

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5723 on: December 29, 2016, 10:28:18 AM »
Guy that graduated a couple years ago (engineering) has three cars. A brand spanking new Camaro, an older Miata he uses for racing, and a V8 Pontiac Bonneville. He constantly posts pictures of them, like before and after wash pictures. I'm pretty sure he's still entry level or maybe slightly above.

Several others have two cars. Like a jeep and a truck, a jeep and a new Lexus, a van and a new Camaro (this one graduated just a few months ago and also bought a house shortly after graduation), just to give a few examples. Half of them are single, other have are dating (not married). None of them have kids. These cars do not include the girlfriends' cars either.

I have two cars and three motorcycles.  Must be a special place in hell for me :)

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5724 on: December 29, 2016, 10:42:01 AM »

I have two cars and three motorcycles.  Must be a special place in hell for me :)

But you guys probably don't have student loans and actually have some savings, right?

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #5725 on: December 29, 2016, 11:57:55 AM »
I finally have one after simply lurking and reading.  A high school friend of mine works at a Sprint as a manager.  According to him a 9 year old is brought in by her parents so they can buy her an Iphone 7.  Yes an Iphone 7.  The child is unhappy because she wanted one in black and the store didn't have that color.  Said child throws a most awesome temper tantrum.  Yelling screaming the whole nine yards.  The manager gives her a look just as she was about to pull down a display that implied if she did he would cause her bodily harm.  And what do the parents do?  Try to console her with the remark they can always exchange it for another color later on.  WTF?
I priced the phone out of nosiness and saw the cheapest model is $649.  WTF does a 9 year old need with that expensive a phone??

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5726 on: December 29, 2016, 01:26:55 PM »
I finally have one after simply lurking and reading.  A high school friend of mine works at a Sprint as a manager.  According to him a 9 year old is brought in by her parents so they can buy her an Iphone 7.  Yes an Iphone 7.  The child is unhappy because she wanted one in black and the store didn't have that color.  Said child throws a most awesome temper tantrum.  Yelling screaming the whole nine yards.  The manager gives her a look just as she was about to pull down a display that implied if she did he would cause her bodily harm.  And what do the parents do?  Try to console her with the remark they can always exchange it for another color later on.  WTF?
I priced the phone out of nosiness and saw the cheapest model is $649.  WTF does a 9 year old need with that expensive a phone??

To call someone after she is robbed for her phone.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5727 on: December 29, 2016, 01:27:05 PM »
That screwed up kid will grow up to be a screwed up adult.  Shit.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5728 on: December 29, 2016, 01:55:05 PM »
my ten year old niece got an Iphone 7 this year.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #5729 on: December 29, 2016, 04:49:26 PM »

Heard a good one from someone that works at the local Apple store.  Apparently a couple weeks ago he had a customer come in and buy each of his twin children a top of the line, 12.9 inch display iPad Pro.  $1,129 per iPad. The twins were three years old.  Why???

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5730 on: December 29, 2016, 05:06:15 PM »
I'm not sure why a kid needs a smartphone. Most kids are around safe adults (teachers at school, parents at home, teachers/coaches at sports/other activities) and can always ask the adult to look up something online or call parents if needed. Why do they need a phone? Even kids that travel alone (maybe a teen that takes a public train or bus) at best needs a dumb phone. Why do they need a smartphone? And tablets are even worse.

To add, almost all kids I know have laptops or Chromebooks for school work. So I'm not sure why a smartphone is needed. I'm genuinely curious

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5731 on: December 29, 2016, 05:24:23 PM »
My mom is a nanny for siblings who are 3 and 5 years old.  She reported that both of them received iPads for Christmas.  The 5-year-old also demands both of his parents' phones when they get home so that he can play with those, too.  Today the 5-year-old tried to change the parental pass code on his iPad and the mom received an email alert about the attempt.  The parents just laugh about it.  At the same time, they're like, "I don't want my kids to grow up spoiled like so-and-so's kids."  Hrmmm.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5732 on: December 29, 2016, 06:48:39 PM »
... because you really want to hand a 700$ delicate electronic device to someone who can't be relied upon to take care of it, not lose it (based on mittens and gloves going missing anyway), or afford to replace it. And then it has a monthly fee. Mmmhmmmmmmm. NOPE.

I'll let my kid watch (limited quantities) Netflix on my phone, or scroll through my instagram for family pictures, or play the (single) kids game on my iPad. For max 20 Minutes a day, and not every day. But you can have a smartphone when you can afford it and care for it.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5733 on: December 29, 2016, 06:56:51 PM »
I'm not sure why a smartphone is needed. I'm genuinely curious

We got my eleven-year-old daughter a smartphone earlier this year. It's the cheapest MotoG phone that works with Republic Wireless, and we have her on the $10/month plan, which is voice/text with no data (except when in wifi range).

We like it because she tends to bounce around the neighborhood with her friends, so we'll get texts such as "at the park", "going to Ellie's house", "going to eat pizza with Hayley" etc. It's also an easy way for us to get in touch with her if we need her back at the house for some reason, or just to let her know what we're doing.

A lot of her friends got iPhones, and at first she really wanted one too. I sat down with her and explained planned obsolescence and cost of ownership, and also that while an iPhone has a nice user interface, her phone will do everything she needs it to. Not long afterwards, I had to tell her how to explain it to her friends, because she was basically telling them they were idiots for wasting all that money on an iPhone :)

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5734 on: December 30, 2016, 12:59:04 AM »
Can't remember if I've posted this before, but one of my issues about kids who have their own devices or unlimited access to their parents' devices is their sense of entitlement around other adults' phones.

My friends' kids ask for my phone as soon as I walk in the door. "Can we look at photos on your phone???"

This is, most often, from a three-year-old and six-year-old.

Their parents think it's cute. I don't.

I keep a G-rated phone, so that's not the issue. It's just that it would bore them senseless! They look at their parents' phones to see pics of themselves.

My photos are my family, friends, and screencaps of news stories and ideas for work. Wow. So entertaining for a toddler.

But they think I'm mean and their parents seem to think I have nude selfies if I say no.

ಠ_ಠ

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5735 on: December 30, 2016, 02:03:15 AM »
Can't remember if I've posted this before, but one of my issues about kids who have their own devices or unlimited access to their parents' devices is their sense of entitlement around other adults' phones.

My friends' kids ask for my phone as soon as I walk in the door. "Can we look at photos on your phone???"

But they think I'm mean and their parents seem to think I have nude selfies if I say no.

ಠ_ಠ

I would teach the children some new words when explaining why they can't look at my phone. Let's see how cute the parents think that is.

That is incredibly rude.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5736 on: December 30, 2016, 07:05:19 AM »

I keep a G-rated phone, so that's not the issue. It's just that it would bore them senseless! They look at their parents' phones to see pics of themselves.

My photos are my family, friends, and screencaps of news stories and ideas for work. Wow. So entertaining for a toddler.

ಠ_ಠ
That's odd....My daughter loves to look at picture so often she will borrow my phone, or my husband's to look at them (side note, my wedding album is in her room because she is the only one that looks at it) but she NEVER asked anyone else for their phone.  Nor would I be pleased if she did.  Phones, like computers are personal.  I can't imagine being bothered by a person not wanting to hand over a cell phone to a three year old.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #5737 on: December 30, 2016, 08:08:38 AM »

At least they ask. My nephew, when he was about 6, would just come up to my wife and I and start digging in our pockets  or purse looking for our phones. No understanding that this was unacceptable behavior. One time he accidentally bumped into my concealed handgun on my hip and said "what's that?" Awkward conversation ensued.

When we would stay the night at their house, the kids would come into our room whenever they woke up in the morning and jump on our bed. Also extremely rude behavior. I used to joke that for Christmas I was going to buy their parents a locking doorknob for their guest room.

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #5738 on: December 30, 2016, 08:15:41 AM »
I can see nowadays getting a child a basic phone or a basic smartphone since some are so cheap if needed considering so many families are so busy these days plus making sure kids check in so the parents don't worry.  But my main concern was a 9 year old throwing a tantrum.  Most of us were disciplined (sometimes painfully)not to do that after the age of what? 2-4?  What will she do when the real world steps in?

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5739 on: December 30, 2016, 08:17:35 AM »
When my sister was in an emergency situation (coma) and we needed to get into her phone, we gave it to her 4 year old and told him to play a game. He had that thing unlocked in 2 seconds. Very handy.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #5740 on: December 30, 2016, 08:25:55 AM »
But my main concern was a 9 year old throwing a tantrum.  Most of us were disciplined (sometimes painfully)not to do that after the age of what? 2-4?  What will she do when the real world steps in?

I had a boss that would throw tantrums. Most of us are taught as children to control our emotions, and not to let them control us. Some people miss that lesson in childhood.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:44:15 AM by cheapass »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5741 on: December 30, 2016, 08:29:18 AM »
A lot of her friends got iPhones, and at first she really wanted one too. I sat down with her and explained planned obsolescence and cost of ownership, and also that while an iPhone has a nice user interface, her phone will do everything she needs it to. Not long afterwards, I had to tell her how to explain it to her friends, because she was basically telling them they were idiots for wasting all that money on an iPhone :)
That's a fun game my GF and I play with things like this.  "This is why we're actually doing this, but this is how to explain it without seeming like an a-hole."

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5742 on: December 30, 2016, 10:35:40 AM »
That's a fun game my GF and I play with things like this.  "This is why we're actually doing this, but this is how to explain it without seeming like an a-hole."

I could use some of those lessons as an adult. I generally go for one polite but slightly evasive answer followed by the unembellished truth.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5743 on: December 30, 2016, 10:44:57 AM »

At least they ask. My nephew, when he was about 6, would just come up to my wife and I and start digging in our pockets  or purse looking for our phones. No understanding that this was unacceptable behavior. One time he accidentally bumped into my concealed handgun on my hip and said "what's that?" Awkward conversation ensued.

When we would stay the night at their house, the kids would come into our room whenever they woke up in the morning and jump on our bed. Also extremely rude behavior. I used to joke that for Christmas I was going to buy their parents a locking doorknob for their guest room.

Insanely rude! I'm very glad my nieces and nephews don't do that or else their parents would be explaining a lot of awkward things to them (work products that I wholesale). Their parents are likely better at explaining it to them as I have less of a filter.

bebegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Sleepless in
« Reply #5744 on: December 30, 2016, 11:03:59 AM »
The situation with spoiled kids is pretty widespread.

I am a member of parents facebook groups and see there constantly the same question from parents asking for an advice:

"What to give as a present to 5 years old girl who has everything?"
"What to give as a present for 3 year old boy who has everything?"

I am 39 years old and do not consider that I have everything. I still put some goals in front of me and am interested in what will happen next.

What these spoiled children will be excited about when they grow up?

Ridiculous.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5745 on: December 30, 2016, 11:34:06 AM »

I am a member of parents facebook groups and see there constantly the same question from parents asking for an advice:

I am 39 years old and do not consider that I have everything. I still put some goals in front of me and am interested in what will happen next.

Ridiculous.

I was so thankful that a couple of my best friends flat out told me not to get their kids anything for Christmas because they were more than covered. It saved me some money and they recognized where to simply draw a line.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5746 on: December 30, 2016, 12:14:17 PM »

Ridiculous.

Well, to be fair, I'd qualify my child as a child who has "everything". By which I mean: she has healthy food, pretty and comfortable and seasonally-appropriate clothes, aND enough open-ended imaginative games (doll, play kitchen, wood train, wood blocks, mostly - and we just made her a dollhouse she seems to love) that her time is occupied and she doesn't need more toys, nor do I want more toys as clutter.

She has everything she needs, and doesn't need anything, so... yeah, what DO you get a kid like that?

(And if the answer is anything resembling a tablet for a toddler, or any branded toys that make noise and clutter, the second answer is NO. None of that.)

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5747 on: December 30, 2016, 01:27:19 PM »

Ridiculous.

Well, to be fair, I'd qualify my child as a child who has "everything". By which I mean: she has healthy food, pretty and comfortable and seasonally-appropriate clothes, aND enough open-ended imaginative games (doll, play kitchen, wood train, wood blocks, mostly - and we just made her a dollhouse she seems to love) that her time is occupied and she doesn't need more toys, nor do I want more toys as clutter.

She has everything she needs, and doesn't need anything, so... yeah, what DO you get a kid like that?

(And if the answer is anything resembling a tablet for a toddler, or any branded toys that make noise and clutter, the second answer is NO. None of that.)
Well, how about some money into the kid's 529? Or even stocks in her favorite companies with a decorative piece of paper (Disney, McDs, etc) would be a fun and different gift. Also, there is no reason to give a kid a gift just because. There is no harm in skipping gifts if the parents think the kid has everything (though consumables like paint, chalks, paper, etc are always useful)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5748 on: December 30, 2016, 02:35:49 PM »

Ridiculous.

Well, how about some money into the kid's 529? Or even stocks in her favorite companies with a decorative piece of paper (Disney, McDs, etc) would be a fun and different gift. Also, there is no reason to give a kid a gift just because. There is no harm in skipping gifts if the parents think the kid has everything (though consumables like paint, chalks, paper, etc are always useful)

Yes!! All those things would be welcome gifts! And also the recognition that not all gifts are necessary at all occasions and that a kid who is well-loved and materially comfortable likely does not need 50 toys per holiday.

Or at least, the parents don't need to clean that up...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5749 on: December 30, 2016, 02:51:38 PM »
I'm not sure why a kid needs a smartphone. Most kids are around safe adults (teachers at school, parents at home, teachers/coaches at sports/other activities) and can always ask the adult to look up something online or call parents if needed. Why do they need a phone? Even kids that travel alone (maybe a teen that takes a public train or bus) at best needs a dumb phone. Why do they need a smartphone? And tablets are even worse.

To add, almost all kids I know have laptops or Chromebooks for school work. So I'm not sure why a smartphone is needed. I'm genuinely curious
It's not.  A dumb phone is fine if you are running around town and need to text your parents.  But smart phones are "fun" I suppose, if you want to play Pokemon go.

I'm guessing that many kids just have their parents' old phones.