Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081757 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #5650 on: December 21, 2016, 03:05:19 PM »
I guess a new arcade opened up at the Mall of America. There's people on FB gushing about it.

It looks like a single go-kart ride costs $23, though there are probably packages or other ways to make the per ride cost lower. Virtual reality games cost $5 each. I can see this as being a money maker as there are plenty of people that will throw down money for such things.

The guy behind this is has opened up 5 in various malls in India, this is his first venture into the US. I give him credit for the investment.

You can OWN a used go-cart for ~$150 from a garage sale...

In honor of "Rogue One,"

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/ca919506-0146-4cd1-892e-3b9451affc84

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #5651 on: December 21, 2016, 11:57:09 PM »
Not disagreeing with your post but have you read a women's magazine before? They are the ones holding women to impossible standards of beauty.

Right! Beauty standards would go away if not for those damn women's magazines. I don't know where they came up with such a crazy idea. Women, amirite?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #5652 on: December 22, 2016, 05:09:45 AM »
Not disagreeing with your post but have you read a women's magazine before? They are the ones holding women to impossible standards of beauty.

Right! Beauty standards would go away if not for those damn women's magazines. I don't know where they came up with such a crazy idea. Women, amirite?

Nope, it's the men buying all those magazines and products that the ads in them sell.

carolinap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5653 on: December 22, 2016, 05:48:06 AM »

Nope, it's the men buying all those magazines and products that the ads in them sell.

weeeeird, i don't read this magazines neither buy much beauty products but i STILL AM pressioned by those beauty standards.
it's almost like the magazines aren't the cause, but a byproduct of a whole culture.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5654 on: December 22, 2016, 06:19:10 AM »

weeeeird, i don't read this magazines neither buy much beauty products but i STILL AM pressioned by those beauty standards.
it's almost like the magazines aren't the cause, but a byproduct of a whole culture.

Excellent point.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5655 on: December 22, 2016, 09:16:17 AM »
Isn't the average American woman 170 lbs for 5'4 of height?

These impossible beauty standards must not be observed by that many.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5656 on: December 22, 2016, 09:18:57 AM »

That's the state, but not the goal. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5657 on: December 22, 2016, 09:38:42 AM »

And constantly made to feel bad about it.

viverl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5658 on: December 22, 2016, 09:49:57 AM »
Perhaps move your discussion in a new thread if you have the urgent need to discuss this? :)

Apropos:

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #5659 on: December 22, 2016, 10:25:17 AM »

I wonder how much this bell curve has shifted to the right in the last 100 years. Americans are getting larger, no doubt about it. The "average" american also is sedentary, dies early of heart disease, and has no retirement savings.

Average is a statistical term and should not be something to strive for.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 10:34:54 AM by cheapass »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5660 on: December 22, 2016, 11:58:31 AM »

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/average-weight-american-men-15-pounds-20-years/story?id=41100782

168.5lbs, up from 140lbs in 1960 @ 5'4".

Men went from 166.3lbs in 1960 to 195.7lbs.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5661 on: December 22, 2016, 01:33:17 PM »

And constantly made to feel bad about it.
No kidding.  I see that it's about 166.2 lbs?

Anyway, after baby #2 (born at 42), I was at 168.  I managed to get down to 153 THREE TIMES, but gained it all back.  Because: hormones. Stress.  Lack of sleep. Breastfeeding. Full time job.
(I'm 5'2.5")

While that's overweight, it's not horrible.  I was still physically fit.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5662 on: December 22, 2016, 01:48:46 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/average-weight-american-men-15-pounds-20-years/story?id=41100782

168.5lbs, up from 140lbs in 1960 @ 5'4".

Men went from 166.3lbs in 1960 to 195.7lbs.

Wow, clearly thyroid disorders have skyrocketed since 1960

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5663 on: December 22, 2016, 02:02:13 PM »

And the median age is 36. I don't think it's outrageous to prefer a partner who is 'non-average'.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #5664 on: December 22, 2016, 02:05:07 PM »

From what I hear, it's genetics. The human species has evolved that much in recent history.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5665 on: December 22, 2016, 02:26:01 PM »

From what I hear, it's genetics. The human species has evolved that much in recent history.

True, but don't forget that modern society is so much more stressful these days, given the mandatory Facebook accounts and compulsory Fox News watching.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5666 on: December 22, 2016, 02:52:40 PM »

Remember, the average american is overweight; roughly a third obese.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5667 on: December 22, 2016, 03:19:33 PM »

Remember, the average american is overweight; roughly a third obese.

On it's face, this seems like proof that the standards are "impossible," since so many people fall outside the standards.  But lets get real about the beauty standards we are talking about.  I don't personally think "not obese" is an unreasonable beauty standard.  I don't expect any real-life people to look like a photoshopped magazine cover, but unhealthy weight (over and under) is unattractive.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 03:28:36 PM by dragoncar »

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5668 on: December 22, 2016, 03:26:49 PM »
My beauty standards at this point are 1) normal weight for a human of that height [normal means not overweight], and 2) not extremely unfortunate.

Pretty much any lady that takes care of herself passes the looks test. The rest is a lot harder to find...

Thankfully living in areas of high education and income, there are far more people who take care of themselves to that bare minimum standard. Shit, if I lived in Kansas, I may as well be celibate.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5669 on: December 22, 2016, 07:11:20 PM »
I always wonder about those signs in lifts e.g. there is one in my work building:

MAX 20 PERSONS (1440KGS)

72kg per person... makes you think.

The increasing 'size' of the population has a number of implications...

- fuel economy of your average car
- weight distribution on aircraft
- load bearing standards of chairs and seats
- width of doors and corridors

My beauty standards at this point are 1) normal weight for a human of that height [normal means not overweight], and 2) not extremely unfortunate.

Pretty much any lady that takes care of herself passes the looks test. The rest is a lot harder to find...

I blamed women mags before but I will also blame snapchat filters and airbrushing apps. It changes what is perceived as normal.

Long hair does it for me. Almost any woman looks hot with long hair to me.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5670 on: December 22, 2016, 07:28:39 PM »
My beauty standards at this point are 1) normal weight for a human of that height [normal means not overweight], and 2) not extremely unfortunate. The rest is a lot harder to find...

Right? There's plenty of attractive people in the world. It's the rest of the package that is the standard most people fail to meet.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5671 on: December 22, 2016, 11:07:33 PM »
Confidence and a positive attitude are attractive in all sorts of packages in my opinion.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5672 on: December 23, 2016, 12:11:40 AM »
On it's face, this seems like proof that the standards are "impossible," since so many people fall outside the standards.  But lets get real about the beauty standards we are talking about.  I don't personally think "not obese" is an unreasonable beauty standard.  I don't expect any real-life people to look like a photoshopped magazine cover, but unhealthy weight (over and under) is unattractive.

I agree with you Dragoncar. For otherwise healthy people, maintaining a healthy weight / body composition isn't difficult.

It does bother me that some people consider someone dangerously underweight to be 'super hot' rather than an indication someone could be really unwell.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5673 on: December 23, 2016, 10:39:44 AM »
When I went to a doctor and stepped onto a scales for the first time in about 3 years, I was totally upset about the change in my weight.  I could tell my clothes fit differently, but the numbers made it real for me.  I was discussing his with my boyfriend.  For the record, I had gone from 130# to 115#.  I am 5'2".  I was discussing how to gain back up to my previous weight in a healthy way, when he said that actually I need to lose a few more pounds.  A dietician put me close to the top of tje perfect BMI, which is 101-120#, and essentially agreed with my bf.  I am floored.  I know personally that I do better above 120#, but everyone else seems to buy into that skinny is best mindset.  I'm a recovering anorexic.  It seems that the nuts are running the nuthouse.

Edit:. The dietician/nutritionist was at Mayo Clinic, and at 115# I am a size 3/4, not all that large.  Unfortunately, all the clothes I have are size 6, and don't fit now.  I'm good with being a size 6 myself.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 10:46:38 AM by shadowmoss »

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5674 on: December 23, 2016, 11:17:38 AM »
*terrifying tale of supporting unnecessary weight loss*

It seems that the nuts are running the nuthouse.

This is bizarre. I hope you find someone who can help support your goals. You know your body. 

Would something like a body composition analysis be helpful for you? When I was training a lot I was told I was obese by the doctor. My body composition told me I was a strong athletic woman with healthy amounts of fat and a lot of muscle. I know that there are limitations to the technology but relative changes show up even on imperfect equipment.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5675 on: December 23, 2016, 11:24:29 AM »
Getting back on the weight machines is on the list...  Further disclosure is that I am 62 (today!) And finishing up radiation for breast cancer, part of the reason I was at Mayo in the first place.  Once this is behind me getting healthy on many levels is a priority.  The institutionalized nature of the propaganda is what floored me.  I was seeing the nutritionist because of the impending surgery and radiation.  For the record, I'm blessed in all this as it has not spreadand I hhave a low chance of relapse.

ormaybemidgets

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5676 on: December 23, 2016, 11:25:13 AM »
I was discussing how to gain back up to my previous weight in a healthy way, when he said that actually I need to lose a few more pounds.

Dump the boyfriend, lose 150 pounds.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5677 on: December 23, 2016, 01:09:38 PM »

I agree with you Dragoncar. For otherwise healthy people, maintaining a healthy weight / body composition isn't difficult.

It does bother me that some people consider someone dangerously underweight to be 'super hot' rather than an indication someone could be really unwell.

I think the difficulty depends a lot on the person and their history.

Once you've been overweight it's exceedingly difficult to lose weight and keep it off.  The body will try to go back to that higher weight.  Especially true if you gained the weight as a child/ teen - when many new fat cells are made.  Was it Cathy? On a different thread talked about how wrong it is to judge someone on their weight, because it tells you nothing about how they are NOW.  Only maybe how they used to be at some point.

I am distressed at what is considered "healthy" aka skinny.  I recently went to the doc (this week), worried about what he *might* say, as my BMI is about 5 lbs into "overweight" territory.  And he said "perfect".  I was happy with that.  I'm 2 lbs under what I was this time last year and 28 lbs under where I was 3 years ago (post-40 baby weight is NO JOKE), and I have a lot of muscle - so I've always skirted the high end of the weight range.  Post 2nd baby I've been swimming, weight training, and carrying around a 30+ lb kid, and my ribcage and shoulders are a lot broader than they used to be.  Basically had to toss all the old shirts, but hey the pants fit, winning!

In fact, the shadowmoss info made me shudder a bit. I'm also 5'2", and 120lb perfect?  Ha!  It's a serious struggle to stay below 140 for me.  I was about 120 lbs for a couple of years late high school/ early college and it was way too thin.  Amenorrhea too thin.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5678 on: December 23, 2016, 01:16:37 PM »
I was discussing how to gain back up to my previous weight in a healthy way, when he said that actually I need to lose a few more pounds.

Word.

ChipmunkSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #5679 on: December 23, 2016, 02:29:07 PM »
Getting back on the weight machines is on the list...  Further disclosure is that I am 62 (today!) And finishing up radiation for breast cancer, part of the reason I was at Mayo in the first place.  Once this is behind me getting healthy on many levels is a priority.  The institutionalized nature of the propaganda is what floored me.  I was seeing the nutritionist because of the impending surgery and radiation.  For the record, I'm blessed in all this as it has not spreadand I hhave a low chance of relapse.

As a dietitian working in a oncology setting, I can tell you that we never recommend weight loss for patients during treatments (radiotherapy, chemo or surgery) because the body needs all the calories and proteins to recuperate from this. Very weird advice you received...

Stache it Away

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5680 on: December 23, 2016, 03:19:19 PM »
How about that secret sister gift exchange thing going around on facebook. You post on your wall and you only have to send 1 item (I've seen books and bottles of wine) and in return you will get between 6 and 36 items in return.

A friend posted it and I asked how if every person only sends 1 gift out, you get more back than the number of people participating. She never responded, but the post was deleted.

My mom participated in that, and tried to get me to sign up.  I didn't have the heart to explain it to her.

Edit:  I was also reminded of a friend who posts photos of this monthly clothing subscription box she receives.  Basically, this company sends you several items of clothing, every month, that they pick out for you, and you pay for them.  That's the deal.

To be fair: if I could find the mythical clothing service of my dreams, I'd pay for it. As it stands, it doesn't exist.

The mythical clothing service of my dreams would:
- Take into account exact size and body shape
- Take into account preferences (flannel button-down vs peplum top? Texture of fabric? etc)
- Take into account what's needed (aka: right now, I need button-down PJ tops and shirts, new black socks, high-waisted cotton panties for postpartum use, and 1-2 non-patterned cardigan in this specific range of colors, so ONLY send me that)
- Ship to Canada

Basically, if they could offer me a clothing service that was essentially an affordable personal shoppig service that delivered what I needed to my door without me needing to comb through 16 websites OR the mall, I'd totally pay an extra bit to avoid the aggravation. I don't need 6 cute tops that generally suit my tastes, nor am I willing to pay for them - eff subscription boxes. I'd absolutely pay for someone to find me the specific thing I want in under 6 hours of shopping, though. The mall near my old apartment had a FREE personal shopping service that did that. It wasnt well-known, but MAN was it useful.

stitchfix.com

We have several female friends that love this site.  My wife just did an order with them and they do an amazing amount of work to match things to all the specs you described and more.  Seems like they learn and refine what they give you over time as well. 

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5681 on: December 23, 2016, 08:24:55 PM »

Word.

Yeah. It's hard to imagine a partner telling the other, who lost 11% of their weight in conjunction with cancer treatment that they still have a few more pounds to go... what a putz

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5682 on: December 23, 2016, 09:33:55 PM »
When I went to a doctor and stepped onto a scales for the first time in about 3 years, I was totally upset about the change in my weight.  I could tell my clothes fit differently, but the numbers made it real for me.  I was discussing his with my boyfriend.  For the record, I had gone from 130# to 115#.  I am 5'2".  I was discussing how to gain back up to my previous weight in a healthy way, when he said that actually I need to lose a few more pounds.  A dietician put me close to the top of tje perfect BMI, which is 101-120#, and essentially agreed with my bf.  I am floored.  I know personally that I do better above 120#, but everyone else seems to buy into that skinny is best mindset.  I'm a recovering anorexic.  It seems that the nuts are running the nuthouse.

Edit:. The dietician/nutritionist was at Mayo Clinic, and at 115# I am a size 3/4, not all that large.  Unfortunately, all the clothes I have are size 6, and don't fit now.  I'm good with being a size 6 myself.

I got to watch one of my high school friends transform on Facebook a few years ago from 300lbs to 120 pounds in just over a year.  She's around 5'6" and her doc (whom she visited every other month) ended up telling her to put on another 10 pounds after she reached that number.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5683 on: December 25, 2016, 01:47:51 AM »
The point for me is that the anti-mustachian mocking is done with anonymised targets.  Those "memes" are bullying identifiable people.

I think everyone here agrees that those "memes" are stupid.  Chris22 seemed to be making a joke based on the fact that his name happens to be mentioned in the image, and apparently broke the "no calling people fat" rule.  But calling an anonymous fat person fat, without them being a reader of the forum, is not bullying, and although the person is identifiable in the broadest sense, they are not actually identified (nor can they be easily identified).

Anyways, here's a real meme:

Isn't it obvious?   he broke the "no calling women 'chicks' rule"....   what does 'fat' have to do with it?

:-)   LOL

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #5684 on: December 27, 2016, 06:16:06 AM »
Finally saw a FB post I can share to get us back on topic.

For context, this acquaintence is always bitching about how they're broke by payday, living is so expensive, just can't seem to get ahead, etc. You know what will help?  Two brand new car payments!

....the day after Christmas & the husband & I got ourselves 2 brand new 2016 Jeep Renegade TrailHawks!!!!
No more '08 Commander or '04 Mazda....
Merry Christmas & definitely a Happy New Year (to come)!!!!
 We both work hard & sacrifice to make this family & household run as smoothly as possible....Thank You, God for guiding us through it all.
#BLESSED #GRATEFUL #THANKFUL #TWINJEEPS #POWERCOUPLE #MAKEITHAPPEN

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5685 on: December 27, 2016, 06:25:30 AM »

For context, this acquaintence is always bitching about how they're broke by payday, living is so expensive, just can't seem to get ahead, etc. You know what will help?  Two brand new car payments!

....the day after Christmas & the husband & I got ourselves 2 brand new 2016 Jeep Renegade TrailHawks!!!!
 We both work hard & sacrifice to make this family & household run as smoothly as possible....Thank You, God for guiding us through it all.
Please let us know when they get repossessed...

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5686 on: December 27, 2016, 07:24:34 AM »

Good lord, the idiotic consumer culture in this country. So sad.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #5687 on: December 27, 2016, 07:38:21 AM »
Man my Facebook feed is really boring from an overhead on Facebook point of view. I think I've only shared a story once on this thread.

On the upside I guess my Facebook friends aren't making poor financial decisions. Or at least, if they are, aren't bragging about them.

Malum Prohibitum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5688 on: December 27, 2016, 08:42:53 AM »
Thank You, God for guiding us through it all.
  All the warnings God made about debt in Proverbs, and these people still think God guided them into debt.

#POWERCOUPLE
  LOL!  Yes, the car you drive makes you powerful!
#MAKEITHAPPEN
  Well, I guess it depends upon what "it" is . . .  right?

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #5689 on: December 27, 2016, 09:23:22 AM »

72kg per person... makes you think.

The increasing 'size' of the population has a number of implications...

- weight distribution on aircraft

No worries on that one.  Know that kerfuffle not to long ago where the Samoans were suing since an airline supposedly "discriminated" against them due to weight?  I laughed since the airline in question was following FAA guidance on the matter to the letter (Google "Advisory Circular AC120-27E").  I'm sure the airlines lawyers slid the FAA regs and said Advisory Circular in front of the judge and asked for summary dismissal, which they obviously got.  Shows how ignorant the plaintiff's lawyers are - they could have found that in about 5 minutes.

The TL/DR version is airlines are required to occasionally survey their passenger actual weights and use those in aircraft weight and balance and loading calculations to insure compliance with aircraft capability limits.  If a particular group of passengers or a route deviates from the rest of an airlines typical (think sports teams, or a military group with their gear like body armor, or in this case, Hawaii to Samoa etc) and the airline doesn't have data on that group type, they're required to weigh individuals and use those weights in loading and balance calculations.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5690 on: December 27, 2016, 10:25:26 AM »
I've seen other people using that #POWERCOUPLE hashtag -- it's always people who earn two high incomes and spend all of it on an inflated lifestyle. I wonder how these tags start.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5691 on: December 27, 2016, 10:35:16 AM »
Someone who uses #powercouple is not in one.

- signed: a nice guy

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5692 on: December 27, 2016, 11:09:15 AM »
Some very angry people over here... https://www.facebook.com/news.com.au/posts/1558886224138745

And to think my first thought about the 50-30-20 thing is that it's not ambitious enough from a frugal standpoint... I get that it is genuinely tough for some people who aren't as fortunate, but I doubt that is the case for every single person complaining...

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #5693 on: December 27, 2016, 11:15:49 AM »
Girl from high school posts on Facebook the other day how ~blessed~ she is that her income-based payment for student loans this year is $0/month since she had her baby and how excited she was to have that money back each month. I guess she missed the memo that the interest on her loans will continue to grow.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #5694 on: December 27, 2016, 11:32:28 AM »
Okay, I want to be a #powercouple. I guess we kind of are - a DINK household stashing most of our money for ER in our 30s.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5695 on: December 27, 2016, 11:36:48 AM »
Guy that graduated a couple years ago (engineering) has three cars. A brand spanking new Camaro, an older Miata he uses for racing, and a V8 Pontiac Bonneville. He constantly posts pictures of them, like before and after wash pictures. I'm pretty sure he's still entry level or maybe slightly above.

Several others have two cars. Like a jeep and a truck, a jeep and a new Lexus, a van and a new Camaro (this one graduated just a few months ago and also bought a house shortly after graduation), just to give a few examples. Half of them are single, other have are dating (not married). None of them have kids. These cars do not include the girlfriends' cars either.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #5696 on: December 27, 2016, 11:49:34 AM »
Girl from high school posts on Facebook the other day how ~blessed~ she is that her income-based payment for student loans this year is $0/month since she had her baby and how excited she was to have that money back each month. I guess she missed the memo that the interest on her loans will continue to grow.

She may have gotten the memo that loans are for given after 25 years of on time payments, but that's a terrible way to live your life, carrying student loans for that long.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5697 on: December 27, 2016, 11:52:30 AM »
Guy that graduated a couple years ago (engineering) has three cars. A brand spanking new Camaro, an older Miata he uses for racing, and a V8 Pontiac Bonneville. He constantly posts pictures of them, like before and after wash pictures. I'm pretty sure he's still entry level or maybe slightly above.

Several others have two cars. Like a jeep and a truck, a jeep and a new Lexus, a van and a new Camaro (this one graduated just a few months ago and also bought a house shortly after graduation), just to give a few examples. Half of them are single, other have are dating (not married). None of them have kids. These cars do not include the girlfriends' cars either.
In senior year in engineering school, my fav prof told us that lifetime earnings for EEs are over $2M, and we should focus on saving. There's a lot of vultures who will use high voltage words to magnify the frequency of wallet manipulations in exchange for shiny trinkets. (We were learning about V-to-F and F-to-V converters.)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5698 on: December 27, 2016, 11:54:54 AM »
I've seen other people using that #POWERCOUPLE hashtag -- it's always people who earn two high incomes and spend all of it on an inflated lifestyle. I wonder how these tags start.
Doesn't the Power come from having a fatter wallet, not thinner?
Bulk that wallet up! Ka Pow!
Any fool can spend, but it takes guts to save.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #5699 on: December 27, 2016, 12:26:32 PM »

She may have gotten the memo that loans are for given after 25 years of on time payments, but that's a terrible way to live your life, carrying student loans for that long.

Not to mention the remaining balance is taxable income. The government will get their money one way or another.