Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082277 times)

Half-Borg

• Bristles
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #5500 on: November 23, 2016, 01:17:50 AM »
His might be sturdy, but if I know anything about that guy, which I do, he will not own that table for life.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5501 on: November 23, 2016, 01:27:01 AM »
Friend bought a new dining room table, for just 3000€, what a steal oO

It's handmade by an actual carpenter though, may he find wiser uses for the money.

I got a dining table for $3k, too (though it came with 8 chairs, a cupboard, and a bookshelf). Solid wood, hand made. BIFL is important, I think.

My dining table and sideboard cost $3000 new. I paid $800 for both (including original receipts) on eBay.

For $3000, I would be paranoid about people marking it. Or using it. Or looking at it.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #5502 on: November 23, 2016, 03:47:27 AM »

It's handmade by an actual carpenter though, may he find wiser uses for the money.

I got a dining table for $3k, too (though it came with 8 chairs, a cupboard, and a bookshelf). Solid wood, hand made. BIFL is important, I think.

My dining table and sideboard cost $3000 new. I paid $800 for both (including original receipts) on eBay.

For $3000, I would be paranoid about people marking it. Or using it. Or looking at it.

I agree. I think I would rather buy three $800 tables than one $3,000 one. Different strokes though; nothing wrong with that.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5503 on: November 23, 2016, 05:17:05 AM »

I agree. I think I would rather buy three $800 tables than one $3,000 one. Different strokes though; nothing wrong with that.

The actual dining room table cost $700 new (the other stuff totaled $2300). Not as good as coming with a sideboard, but it looks amazing.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5504 on: November 29, 2016, 08:35:28 PM »
Friend:  "I'm so upset I have to get a new car. I love my car! Nothing I'm seeing is as good as mine! But 2 separate mechanics can't get the check engine light off so I can't pass emissions and told me it would be a lot of money I'm better off getting a new car. The only one I even like (and not as much) is 40k and my car is already paid off! I don't wanna say goodbye to my baby:( on a good note, the dealership says I have perfect credit!"

One Commenter:  "Time for a Mercedes Benz."

Second Commenter:  "Get a danali."

Third Commenter:  "You deserve a. New car .anyway. .go for it..you've worked your ass off ."

Fortunately, most commenters are suggesting that she may be able to get an emissions waiver if she can show the work the shops have done.

Me:  "Why would you spend $40k on a car?!?! Surely there are MANY options with a more reasonable price."

Friend:  "I'm very picky."

Your friend is very picky about who will pick her wallet. It must be a well-qualified, experienced pickpocket salesman, not the riff-raff common thief. That way she can brag about being robbed by the best.

Update

Friend:  "I didn't want to say goodbye to my baby, my Envoy. Until I met his hot younger brother, Acadia. Now I'm in love and he's mine! I overpaid but that's the price of love!"

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5505 on: November 29, 2016, 09:10:41 PM »
I'm on a "Buy Nothing" group for my neighborhood. It's hip as shit. It's hella fun. Join one.

There is this lady who is either bullshitting everyone, moderately crazy, or awfully crafted at her game.

She comments on a good 1/4 of the all posts, and all her own posts are asks, not gives. The last ask was a K-cup coffee maker to make hot cocoa for her son. Every other variation of her messages reminds everyone how she's the most unlucky person in the world.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5506 on: November 29, 2016, 09:41:42 PM »
I'm on a "Buy Nothing" group for my neighborhood. It's hip as shit. It's hella fun. Join one.

Sorry, I'm already in a "Join Nothing" group

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #5507 on: November 29, 2016, 11:09:57 PM »

Update

Friend:  "I didn't want to say goodbye to my baby, my Envoy. Until I met his hot younger brother, Acadia. Now I'm in love and he's mine! I overpaid but that's the price of love!"

I think Darth Vader said it best, something like

The stupid is strong in this one.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5508 on: November 30, 2016, 07:00:26 AM »
Madame Bovary had a post up last week asking for unwanted jewelry so she can make her kid a jewelry box for Christmas.  I tend to buy box lots of vintage stuff to resell and had a bag of leftovers that weren't worth the money/effort to resell on Ebay so I volunteered it since we were going to be up there for Thanksgiving anyway and we aren't having a yardsale until the spring.

So Madame Bovary drove to my moms house (in her high school car that I am assuming her parents kept around) to pick it up and I saw her for the first time in probably 10 years.  She spent a good chunk of time bitching about her current life situation and asked DH questions about how she could "get back" at her soon to be ex husband for cutting her off knowing that DH has been in command a few times.  She didn't like that she pretty much has no recourse to milk him for a paycheck to say the least.  She went on a bitching fest that his current commander couldn't care less about her being able to feed herself etc.  Props to DH, he dead pans her and goes "you are an adult correct?  You made individual decisions that have negatively impacted you, your kids, and your husband, I'm not sure why you think the military and your ex husband have a responsibility to continue to support you in perpetuity.  Divorce is a civilian matter, there is not much the military can do for you without a civilian court order, especially since you don't have custody of the children.  If you opt to not retain counsel due to the short duration of your marriage then that is on you."  Turned around and walked back inside....slow clap for the husband.

PS, most of what I gave her was up on a local yardsale site, I don't think she realized I could see her posting in the forum.   So yup, officially done trying to help out Madame Bovary.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5509 on: November 30, 2016, 09:49:08 AM »
Madame Bovary had a post up last week asking for unwanted jewelry so she can make her kid a jewelry box for Christmas.  I tend to buy box lots of vintage stuff to resell and had a bag of leftovers that weren't worth the money/effort to resell on Ebay so I volunteered it since we were going to be up there for Thanksgiving anyway and we aren't having a yardsale until the spring.

So Madame Bovary drove to my moms house (in her high school car that I am assuming her parents kept around) to pick it up and I saw her for the first time in probably 10 years.  She spent a good chunk of time bitching about her current life situation and asked DH questions about how she could "get back" at her soon to be ex husband for cutting her off knowing that DH has been in command a few times.  She didn't like that she pretty much has no recourse to milk him for a paycheck to say the least.  She went on a bitching fest that his current commander couldn't care less about her being able to feed herself etc.  Props to DH, he dead pans her and goes "you are an adult correct?  You made individual decisions that have negatively impacted you, your kids, and your husband, I'm not sure why you think the military and your ex husband have a responsibility to continue to support you in perpetuity.  Divorce is a civilian matter, there is not much the military can do for you without a civilian court order, especially since you don't have custody of the children.  If you opt to not retain counsel due to the short duration of your marriage then that is on you."  Turned around and walked back inside....slow clap for the husband.

PS, most of what I gave her was up on a local yardsale site, I don't think she realized I could see her posting in the forum.   So yup, officially done trying to help out Madame Bovary.

Madame Bovary is my favorite recurring character on this thread. She's several of the worst military spouse I've met rolled into one person and made an order of magnitude worse.

ChipmunkSavings

• Stubble
« Reply #5510 on: November 30, 2016, 10:05:50 AM »
*snip*

She was trying to resell what you gave her? Wow.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5511 on: November 30, 2016, 10:06:18 AM »

Ah, uhm, could you help out a little, just for the stories?  :-)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5512 on: November 30, 2016, 10:27:35 AM »

There is this lady who is either bullshitting everyone, moderately crazy, or awfully crafted at her game.

She comments on a good 1/4 of the all posts, and all her own posts are asks, not gives. The last ask was a K-cup coffee maker to make hot cocoa for her son. Every other variation of her messages reminds everyone how she's the most unlucky person in the world.
I used to be a member of a group on Yahoo - freecycle.  Still am, not sure if it's still active.  Maybe they moved it to FB.

I got to be really good at noting the people who were givers and were askers.  I also kept a list of "flakes".  People who said they wanted something and didn't show.  The rules we had were that the giver could give it to anyone...not necessarily the first.  Best story, first person, whatever.  So I'd see who wanted my stuff and go through my lists.  Flakes were off the list.  People who gave stuff a lot got first dibs, then next up good stories.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5513 on: November 30, 2016, 01:19:24 PM »
*snip*

She was trying to resell what you gave her? Wow.

Yes, yes she was, and with that she LITERALLY hit on every stereotype that exists for a crappy mil spouse.  When DH and I got married I heard the stories, I thought that most of them were people making shit up.  Now after a decade I can say I have met three that probably helped create the stereotype and she is the worst of the batch.  I thought it couldn't get any worse then #2 (a druggie who abandoned 5 kids while her DH was deployed then got him arrested for DV charges when he had to come home on emergency leave and screamed at her and put his hand through a china hutch, effectively ending his career and any hope she had for alimony).  I was wrong, this high school friend is taking the cake.

Found out another detail.  Boy toy is also a vet (knew that) however, DH and I are fairly certain that he was an OTH or Dishonorable.  DH and I both mentioned why doesn't he use his GI Bill to go to school, they'll pay BAH while he does and there was a lot of hemming and hawing about saving it "for the kids" (hers).  I was like you know he can't transfer it because he's not their bio or legal father, and he's been out for 5 years (so wouldn't be eligible for a transfer anyway) and they tried saying that oh, he's getting a waiver etc.  DH and I were just like uh huh...OK.

There is no way you are passing up a grand plus a month and a free education when you are literally destitute and getting evicted.  I don't see much hope for better prospects for either of them

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5514 on: November 30, 2016, 04:01:45 PM »

And I'm sure it's true love. Until the infatuation wears off and Sierra starts flexing his muscles at her.

(Anthropomorphising vehicles makes me feel cheap.)

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5515 on: November 30, 2016, 11:37:48 PM »
Madame Bovary had a post up last week asking for unwanted jewelry so she can make her kid a jewelry box for Christmas.

Not cool Madame Bovary. Can you call her out on it like 'oh, I notice that your selling a shamrock charm; be strange coincidence I gave you one identical to that, you could pair them together and give them to kid / make more money' and repeat?

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5516 on: December 01, 2016, 06:59:23 AM »
Madame Bovary had a post up last week asking for unwanted jewelry so she can make her kid a jewelry box for Christmas.

Not cool Madame Bovary. Can you call her out on it like 'oh, I notice that your selling a shamrock charm; be strange coincidence I gave you one identical to that, you could pair them together and give them to kid / make more money' and repeat?

Probably, but honestly, if she is putting in the effort to make some cash whatever, I just hope the kid actually gets some of it.  It was a cheap lesson for me to learn.  Back in the beginning up until now, I've honestly felt really bad for her.  And I understand that pretty much all of her current situation is due to her own personal choices but this was someone that I was genuinely very close to throughout high school so I've felt bad for her, I've had a couple of my own god awful years (last year being one of them) so I get that sometimes it feels like you can't stand back up without getting kicked in the nuts again.  I'm done with that now though.

DH has routinely kept telling me I'm a sucker when I reach out to help.  I think between the shunning of the food offerings and now this I'm done feeling bad for her.  So overall, that lesson only cost me a bag of cheap costume jewelry and my time. 

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5517 on: December 01, 2016, 07:07:12 AM »

Probably, but honestly, if she is putting in the effort to make some cash whatever, I just hope the kid actually gets some of it.  It was a cheap lesson for me to learn.  Back in the beginning up until now, I've honestly felt really bad for her.  And I understand that pretty much all of her current situation is due to her own personal choices but this was someone that I was genuinely very close to throughout high school so I've felt bad for her, I've had a couple of my own god awful years (last year being one of them) so I get that sometimes it feels like you can't stand back up without getting kicked in the nuts again.  I'm done with that now though.

DH has routinely kept telling me I'm a sucker when I reach out to help.  I think between the shunning of the food offerings and now this I'm done feeling bad for her.  So overall, that lesson only cost me a bag of cheap costume jewelry and my time.

You are a better person than me and MB is lucky to have had her chance with you.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #5518 on: December 01, 2016, 09:29:34 AM »
Holy fudge, I am getting a serious "dodged a bullet" sensation right now. Am still FB friends with ex-DW. We were bad with money when we were together, mostly because of always wanting this or that new thing (cars, vacations, clothing, toys, you name it) and the ensuing stress was a contributing factor to our failed relationship, but I really thought she'd learned (like I did) from how badly it affected both of us. I had the impression new hubby (last year or so) was well off and things were great materially, but these posts all popped up in the last couple of days:

YESTERDAY:
XDW: "After looking at the past few waterfront houses I'm completely stunned and amazed of how bad the conditions are for a $2000 rent payment. I want the view but I also don't want to die from a roof caving in, the mold, or the fact that the wood is not nailed down on the damn boat docks! Pretty Gross!"
Friend1: "Check out (location)."
XDW: "We have. Only 1 was something I would consider living in. But it was really just to small for my family of 6. "
Friend2: "You can buy mine for 225...."
XDW: "You're not on the water silly. We're only looking for waterfront"

TWO HOURS AGO:
XDW: "Due to moving and having a hard time finding a place that will allow 3 dogs, I am putting (5-month-old designer pet) up for sale. Help me find her an amazing home. $850"

ONE HOUR AGO:
XDW's hubby: *links to $500-per-couple charity wine auction* "Yay or nay?"

FOUR MINUTES AGO:
XDW: "Good god I need a hobby that is free."

I'm floored that they're not only stuck renting, but straining for the most expensive rental they can afford, while still indulging in luxury goods and experiences, despite having an actual sense of what the problem is. I guess it's just the standard American consumer nightmare....
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 09:32:01 AM by zephyr911 »

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5519 on: December 01, 2016, 09:32:29 AM »
Holy fudge, I am getting a serious "dodged a bullet" sensation right now.

Confirmed: you dodged it. Go you.

Dear lord.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5520 on: December 01, 2016, 10:02:07 AM »
Holy fudge, I am getting a serious "dodged a bullet" sensation right now.

Confirmed: you dodged it. Go you.

Dear lord.

I put it this way to DW just now: "she's always had those tendencies, and I swung more that way when we were together, but she's found someone to encourage further excess while I was lucky to meet you"

While the proximate factor in the divorce was my involvement with someone else, our inability to ever balance a budget had left me pretty hopeless about our future together and I didn't feel like I had much to lose. I don't think I ever shared that and I don't think she ever divined it, and I guess maybe the $$ it was never as much of a source of stress for her as long as we still had the things. But good lawd, we were drowning in debt with no end in sight and we couldn't even talk about it, let alone do anything about it.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #5521 on: December 01, 2016, 12:47:27 PM »
TWO HOURS AGO:
XDW: "Due to moving and having a hard time finding a place that will allow 3 dogs, I am putting (5-month-old designer pet) up for sale. Help me find her an amazing home. $850"
What kind of person pawns a dog? Seriously WTF?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5522 on: December 01, 2016, 01:51:03 PM »
TWO HOURS AGO:
Someone I once planned on spending my whole life with... I dunno mang. She was always rather impulsive but she's gone off the deep end now that the money is better. I get the sense this is the kind of person who could take in a million, many millions, any amount of money, and never get rich. I guess I was the only one dreaming of financial independence... she just wanted the accessories.
I actually put her through real estate school 10 years ago and we bought together, talked about investing together... blows my mind that she's still a renter with so much cash coming in.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5523 on: December 01, 2016, 01:51:55 PM »
TWO HOURS AGO:

Come on, do you have any idea how hard it is to find a cheap 5-bedroom rental that's on the water, with a brand-new roof and all the best features including a wine cellar, AND will allow 3 dogs? Cut her some slack.

But yeah, zephyr, you dodged a bullet. You should thank your wandering eyes (and new DW).

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5524 on: December 01, 2016, 01:54:29 PM »
Friend2: "You can buy mine for 225...."
XDW: "You're not on the water silly. We're only looking for waterfront"

How rude!!!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5525 on: December 01, 2016, 02:01:07 PM »
Come on, do you have any idea how hard it is to find a cheap 5-bedroom rental that's on the water, with a brand-new roof and all the best features including a wine cellar, AND will allow 3 dogs? Cut her some slack.
Truly, I wish her & her family nothing but the best. I just... can't see them actually getting it this way.
But yeah, zephyr, you dodged a bullet. You should thank your wandering eyes (and new DW).
Smartest dumbass move I ever made, amirite? :P

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #5526 on: December 01, 2016, 02:35:24 PM »
TWO HOURS AGO:

It would be a lot easier if you only need 4 bedrooms, why not send one of the kids to mine some coal?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5527 on: December 01, 2016, 02:57:18 PM »
TWO HOURS AGO:

I do believe Sylvester Stallone did when he was trying to get someone, ANYONE, interested in funding Rocky.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5528 on: December 01, 2016, 04:00:15 PM »
TWO HOURS AGO:

How else can you get rid of a dog?

I had to find a new home for my dog when we moved to a place that didn't allow pets.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5529 on: December 01, 2016, 04:42:14 PM »

I do believe Sylvester Stallone did when he was trying to get someone, ANYONE, interested in funding Rocky.

Yeah, but the dude was completely flat broke. He got the dog back ASAP as soon as he had money.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5530 on: December 01, 2016, 05:56:56 PM »
A friend of mine just posted about needing a money tree. A couple of months ago she posted something about how if you type 'Amen' then God will pay your bills.

In between those times she's posted pictures of vacations to Myrtle Beach.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5531 on: December 01, 2016, 06:04:34 PM »
A couple of months ago she posted something about how if you type 'Amen' then God will pay your bills.

>.<

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5532 on: December 01, 2016, 06:04:59 PM »
A couple of months ago she posted something about how if you type 'Amen' then God will pay your bills.

>.<

I mean, um, Amen?

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5533 on: December 01, 2016, 07:11:25 PM »

>.<

That was my response as well. She's a sweetheart, but my God, her money problems give me heartburn. :/

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5534 on: December 01, 2016, 07:54:43 PM »

Yeah, but the dude was completely flat broke. He got the dog back ASAP as soon as he had money.

Yup, I believe he had to pay the guy like 10x the original amount plus promise him a role in Rocky 2.

Maverick44

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5535 on: December 02, 2016, 08:00:59 AM »
I have a really 'good' one this morning from an old h.s. acquaintance. Part of me feels bad, but most of me is amazed that she screwed herself so badly:

"I overdrafted my bank account $750 to finish my kitchen, plus I borrowed $500 from my boss. Now I'm so broke this month I can't afford to eat or leave the house. After I clean up my bank account and pay back my boss I owe a total of $500 still to the contractor who did the work, and I'm not going to have spending money until way after Christmas, so I can't afford to get my friends and family Christmas presents, which is really shitty of me. Plus I don't think I'll be able to take my vacation in January, which is just making me so depressed this week. Don't get me wrong... it was worth it, I should have just done it over the course of a few months rather than a week. I was just so sick of waiting that I didn't think things through :("

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5536 on: December 02, 2016, 08:41:45 AM »
"Don't get me wrong... it was worth it"

Wow, was her kitchen completely non-functional before the work? Because that's the only reason I can think of for it being "worth it"...

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5537 on: December 02, 2016, 12:15:37 PM »
I have a really 'good' one this morning from an old h.s. acquaintance. Part of me feels bad, but most of me is amazed that she screwed herself so badly:

"I overdrafted my bank account $750 to finish my kitchen, plus I borrowed $500 from my boss. Now I'm so broke this month I can't afford to eat or leave the house. After I clean up my bank account and pay back my boss I owe a total of $500 still to the contractor who did the work, and I'm not going to have spending money until way after Christmas, so I can't afford to get my friends and family Christmas presents, which is really shitty of me. Plus I don't think I'll be able to take my vacation in January, which is just making me so depressed this week. Don't get me wrong... it was worth it, I should have just done it over the course of a few months rather than a week. I was just so sick of waiting that I didn't think things through :("

I bet the contractor will be jumping at the opportunity to do more work for her. He's out $500 until after she pays back her overdraft and boss? Who knows how long that will take.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5538 on: December 02, 2016, 02:46:23 PM »

Dear god. It also sounds like she chose the worst possible forms of debt to go into - bank overdrafts and your boss?! Anyone in their right mind would put it on a 35% credit card before either of those options. Which probably means her consumer credit was already shot to hell/maxed out.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #5539 on: December 02, 2016, 03:15:29 PM »

Dear god. It also sounds like she chose the worst possible forms of debt to go into - bank overdrafts and your boss?! Anyone in their right mind would put it on a 35% credit card before either of those options. Which probably means her consumer credit was already shot to hell/maxed out.

Or she never applied for any or has no idea how to use it. However if she has a kitchen it kind of suggests that she somehow owns a home.

Realistically this disaster has got to be just the latest in a long string of bad financial decisions.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5540 on: December 02, 2016, 03:34:24 PM »

What are the comments like?

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5541 on: December 02, 2016, 04:17:19 PM »
Realistically this disaster has got to be just the latest in a long string of bad financial decisions.

Wholeheartedly agree. You don't have to be mustachian, or anywhere near it, to recognize this as a hot mess.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5542 on: December 02, 2016, 11:29:24 PM »
I don't do FB, so I don't recall ever reading anything on this thread. Randomly just decided to check it out. Oof, the story maverick44 shared is the first one I've read and it literally made my stomach lurch. I'm definitely not up for this level of stupidity. I just can't stand it.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5543 on: December 03, 2016, 12:31:23 AM »
Diane C, if you delete your post before anyone quotes it, this thread will stop coming up on your replies list.

I love this thread, sometimes to remind me how far I've come and sometimes as to counteract all the shit I get from people for not being spendy.

Freedom Invested

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5544 on: December 03, 2016, 01:52:37 AM »
I don't do FB, so I don't recall ever reading anything on this thread.

I deleted my Facebook account years ago and never looked back. It's been linked to unhappiness due to comparing to others; especially when posting and awaiting approval. Additionally it is giving away personal data to those that primarily want to monetize it.

Forgive me if I think we should all want to keep more meaningful relationships elsewhere.

Regardless, I find these FB posts saddening, encouraging (due to not falling into the traps), and enlightening as there is more facepunching to do.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #5545 on: December 03, 2016, 02:43:30 PM »
I don't do FB, so I don't recall ever reading anything on this thread.

I deleted my Facebook account years ago and never looked back. It's been linked to unhappiness due to comparing to others; especially when posting and awaiting approval. Additionally it is giving away personal data to those that primarily want to monetize it.

I am not active on FB but it has helped me stay in touch with old classmates, more distant relatives and previous coworkers that I like.  It is an easy way to keep these relationships from completely fading away.

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #5546 on: December 03, 2016, 08:27:15 PM »

I adore my Buy Nothing group. Mine recently split into a few smaller groups, but we had one of these people in the old bigger group. She was constantly asking for anything from designer purses to bottles of bleach or dish soap. She would then tell a sob story about how she just started a new job and didn't get paid until the following week. She also begged for nearly everything that was posted by other people.

It was weird and kind of sad.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5547 on: December 04, 2016, 09:30:33 AM »

I just looked for a way to disable people from being able to like/comment on what I post but it does not seem to be an option.  It would be interesting to see how I am affected and how what I post changes without the feedback of getting likes/comments from others. 

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5548 on: December 04, 2016, 12:19:03 PM »
You can somewhat limit who can see your posts, and also who can reply, but it's pretty deep in the options.

Freedom Invested

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5549 on: December 04, 2016, 01:56:54 PM »

I just looked for a way to disable people from being able to like/comment on what I post but it does not seem to be an option.  It would be interesting to see how I am affected and how what I post changes without the feedback of getting likes/comments from others.

Interesting, I cannot say for others, but I think I'd feel less like I was competing with other people. The like/comment, and especially like altered how I wrote posts.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!