Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081872 times)

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #5450 on: November 11, 2016, 11:34:27 AM »
Um, is it too hard to believe that people are good at math, but have different values?  Even locally, someone on our local newspaper site made a similar rant, about how he's going to pay more.  I noted that most of the propositions went my way.  He said "now you are going to be paying more".  I answered "yes, I was well aware of that when I voted."

Ironically, the people who whine about taxes going up are the same ones who complain when the city they live in lacks basic infrastructure items such as working roads, libraries, public hospitals, and schools.
Well in Birmingham taxes kept going up and up, but the infrastructure kept getting worse and worse.  Some of the worst corruption in recent history happened there.  I think something like $4Billion was paid out to friends and families of the Mayor and key supporters, many are in jail now.  It's one of the biggest cities that have gone bankrupt.  So there are instances it is acceptable to whine about both.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5451 on: November 11, 2016, 11:57:20 AM »
Um, is it too hard to believe that people are good at math, but have different values?  Even locally, someone on our local newspaper site made a similar rant, about how he's going to pay more.  I noted that most of the propositions went my way.  He said "now you are going to be paying more".  I answered "yes, I was well aware of that when I voted."

Ironically, the people who whine about taxes going up are the same ones who complain when the city they live in lacks basic infrastructure items such as working roads, libraries, public hospitals, and schools.
It's also possible that the complainers object to things other than what you've listed?  Like overly-generous public employee pensions, high-speed rail boondoggles, or sports stadiums?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5452 on: November 11, 2016, 12:10:26 PM »
Sometimes you might make more money but your lower income friend spends far more on "stuff and things" further worsening their savings situation making their cash flow problem a "DUH!" moment.

Feels good to be wise enough to put back some acorns for later. In my case it was education by failures. Don't want to be broke? Do something about it!

Oh, yeah, totally. If you make half what I do but spend more than I do, that's just not gonna work at some point.

But I have low-income friends who DO save, but... y'know. Less. Because there's less to go around. And that's not actually shameful, that's just a fact of life/math.

Exactly. I guess most of us have been those low income people early in our lives. That said, its tough to be lower income AND drawn to spend on things you don't need and thus find yourself in a pinch when real needs pop up. Been there and its what motivated DW and I to make more money/get education/spend differently.

I don't look down on these folks but I do question (in my head) why they are smoking, driving a thirsty something with expensive tires, and planning vacations to expensive places on credit cards. Live and let live but don't complain too loudly when the paychecks won't pay for it all.

That car loan ought to have one more line that tells the total cost of the loan $20K @ 20% for X years = $34K. I guess all the info is out there via the 'net in the form of calculators and car loan descriptions and "True Value" estimations.

Still it always bothers me to see someone taken advantage of.

My credit union actually does - the paperwork you have to sign tells you the total cost of credit over the full term.

Who reads paperwork before they sign it?

*weep*

Am I the only person who will read every word of a contract before signing it, to the great exasperation of the people who just want to get on with screwing me over??

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5453 on: November 11, 2016, 12:29:26 PM »
*weep*

Am I the only person who will read every word of a contract before signing it, to the great exasperation of the people who just want to get on with screwing me over??

No I read it as well, as I'm sure many in this forum do.  I was making a humor joke given this particular sub forum and thread.  I doubt the person who had a $20k loan @ 20% read it though.  You don't get loans at 20% by being financially responsible and reading over your contracts.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5454 on: November 11, 2016, 12:47:57 PM »
*weep*

No I read it as well, as I'm sure many in this forum do.  I was making a humor joke given this particular sub forum and thread.  I doubt the person who had a $20k loan @ 20% read it though.  You don't get loans at 20% by being financially responsible and reading over your contracts.

I know. I know so hard.

I had that argument with my boss at work, recently... realized I'd never signed an employement contract (I had a 2-page detailed offer letter that suited my purposes, so I'd never followed up on it) and it was needed for paperwork purposes so he gave me the standard template, and I refused to sign it without one change... and he said no one had ever asked for it or read it before signing. Like, WHUT. How can you not read the details of your employement contract, WTF.

For the record, what I wanted changed was a clause stating that no employee was authorized to have a second job or to work freelance contracts without the written authorization of the boss. Um, NO. I'll sign a non-compete agreement, or an agreement that I won't do freelance work in the same field or with the company's clients, sure, that's fine. But I'm not signing away my right to run an etsy store/snow shoveling business/sell eggs from my chickens/sell gift baskets/etc without written authorization from the boss, what the everloving... And no one else, in 15 years, had even read that clause, let alone made a fuss about it.

(It got changed. I signed. The boss said he was suddenly very thankful that I was the person in charge of his contract negotiations. The end.)

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5455 on: November 11, 2016, 01:05:46 PM »
I doubt the person who had a $20k loan @ 20% read it though. 

Sometimes they do though, and don't care.  Years ago a friend asked me to look over a used car that he was buying since I'm pretty good with a wrench.  I told him the car was fine, but they were charging him 18%, he needs to renegotiate that.  He looked at me like I had a third eye and said "but the payment is within my budget and this is the car I want."   This is a pretty smart guy in just about every topic I've ever discussed with him, except his personal finances.  He just can't get past "I want" and "I can afford the monthly payment."  It's truly sad because he believes that only the wealthy can have enough saving to pay in full. 

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5456 on: November 11, 2016, 01:42:53 PM »
I have signed contracts with unenforceable broad clauses, or clauses I do not agree with and fully intend to violate.

I would be a full time, unemployed negotiator if I refused.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5457 on: November 11, 2016, 01:45:39 PM »
I have signed contracts with unenforceable broad clauses, or clauses I do not agree with and fully intend to violate.

I would be a full time, unemployed negotiator if I refused.

Ah. Whereas I'm a full-time employed negotiator - as in, that's my job. ;)

And yeah, I've signed those clauses before, but... well. It's a small town, there's nothing I can do that won't get back to the office, I seriously don't want to set myself up in a crappy spot if I don't have to. Turns out I didn't have to. God I love working for a reasonable person.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #5458 on: November 11, 2016, 02:08:17 PM »
A girl I dated in high school/early college and somewhat reconnected with recently posted "God this has been a long day.  Who want to go out and get drunk with me tonight???" and then 2 days later "UGH! Does anyone know somewhere that's hiring? I need another job to make my rent this month".  She's posted multiple pictures of makeup sets as big as my desktop computer captioned #goals since then as well.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5459 on: November 11, 2016, 02:25:34 PM »
A girl I dated in high school/early college and somewhat reconnected with recently posted "God this has been a long day.  Who want to go out and get drunk with me tonight???" and then 2 days later "UGH! Does anyone know somewhere that's hiring? I need another job to make my rent this month".  She's posted multiple pictures of makeup sets as big as my desktop computer captioned #goals since then as well.
Congrats on dodging that bullet.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5460 on: November 11, 2016, 05:15:28 PM »

I know. I know so hard.

I had that argument with my boss at work, recently... realized I'd never signed an employement contract (I had a 2-page detailed offer letter that suited my purposes, so I'd never followed up on it) and it was needed for paperwork purposes so he gave me the standard template, and I refused to sign it without one change... and he said no one had ever asked for it or read it before signing. Like, WHUT. How can you not read the details of your employement contract, WTF.

For the record, what I wanted changed was a clause stating that no employee was authorized to have a second job or to work freelance contracts without the written authorization of the boss. Um, NO. I'll sign a non-compete agreement, or an agreement that I won't do freelance work in the same field or with the company's clients, sure, that's fine. But I'm not signing away my right to run an etsy store/snow shoveling business/sell eggs from my chickens/sell gift baskets/etc without written authorization from the boss, what the everloving... And no one else, in 15 years, had even read that clause, let alone made a fuss about it.

(It got changed. I signed. The boss said he was suddenly very thankful that I was the person in charge of his contract negotiations. The end.)
[/quote]

Standard in my employment.  Overpaid with decent pension government worker.  I have to sign away all my rights to privacy every 5 years for a background update as well.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5461 on: November 12, 2016, 09:54:34 PM »
*weep*

I know. I know so hard.

I have a story..

About 1 month after I was hired, HR was in the process of implementing a new hiring policy on how they check employee references pre-hire.  They were wanting to put all employees recently hired through it as well.   They were going to use a single  US firm and outsource the checks across the whole company (CANADA / US).

I read the waiver to allow them to conduct reference checks -- with former bosses, employers, schools, even with family and neighbors if they choose.  Also the financial / credit checks..    I know a lot of US companies do this, (as I had recently returned from the US and my former company installed similar programs), but Canada is pretty protective of personal privacy / rights.

I refused to sign -- why?  There was no limit on how long I was authorizing the company to investigate me.!!  WTF.  This wasn't a "once and done" type of check, and I felt that I should always be informed before/ when they check on me, and to approve it each time for a 30 day limit, that sort of thing.   i had seen this abused to check out long term employees for possible theft from company, extended sick leave, and anything slightly suspected -- all without that employee realizing.

Apparently I was one of the only people to raise concerns about it, to refuse to sign it without discussion / modification  (and I was told that most people just sign it).   

End result -- after consideration as to my reason why, they dropped the outside checks program, and kept it traditional style -in house, at the time of hire only.

Win! for checking / reading contracts!

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #5462 on: November 14, 2016, 08:14:26 AM »
Congrats on dodging that bullet.
I was actually the dumpee in that scenario.  Blessing in disguise lol.

Per the sketchy contracts discussion: I wonder if there's a significant portion of people who either don't read a contract or read it and don't make a fuss about the sketchy parts because they don't feel like they have any negotiating power.  I certainly felt like I didn't have any authority to negotiate some parts of my employment contract when I first started working after college. My net worth was in the red via student loans, so I was willing to tolerate more in order to land a job that paid well, for example.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5463 on: November 14, 2016, 08:20:13 AM »
I was talking to a guy I served with a few days ago on FB. He's interviewing for a new job that will come with a $10,000 pay increase. He says he'll use it to pay down credit card debt. Then he'll only have a car and mortgage payment. I said I didn't like debt. He said it wasn't possible to live without debt anymore.

Then he told me he was good with money. :/

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5464 on: November 14, 2016, 09:19:36 AM »
Per the sketchy contracts discussion: I wonder if there's a significant portion of people who either don't read a contract or read it and don't make a fuss about the sketchy parts because they don't feel like they have any negotiating power.  I certainly felt like I didn't have any authority to negotiate some parts of my employment contract when I first started working after college. My net worth was in the red via student loans, so I was willing to tolerate more in order to land a job that paid well, for example.

This was me (not wanting to make a fuss in case the offer got pulled). I recently made a fuss with an alteration to my contract and it works out as an extra £3k a year for me. But I knew they couldn't afford to lose and I could.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5465 on: November 14, 2016, 10:35:20 AM »
*weep*

I know. I know so hard.

When I was filling out maternity leave paperwork, our company had a "policy" that employees had to use up to 3 weeks of accrued Paid Time Off before being eligible for state disability.  Now, first, that really sucks, because you need that PTO after the kid is born, because you're gonna be sleep deprived and get sick... a LOT...that first year.  And second, you are just encouraging your employees to be spiteful and take every single day off while pregnant, to start mat leave with a "zero" bank.  If I'd done that, then I could have had off 4 weeks PTO + 22 weeks mat leave = 26 weeks.  So, six months/ half a year.

In any event, CA state law, at the time, stated that companies could require employees to take "up to 2 weeks of accrued vacation or PTO".  I refused to sign the reform until they fixed it.
In the end, that requirement fucked up my disability check anyway.  The state was horrible at the paperwork in the first place, but they were gobsmacked on how to handle the fact that my disability pay was going to start TWO WEEKS after I went on mat leave, instead of the typical one week. I didn't get my disability pay until after I went back to work, when my kid was 10 weeks old.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5466 on: November 14, 2016, 10:50:49 AM »
I started a Facebook account about 6 months ago to communicate with a specific real life friend who was having trouble communicating in other ways but was able to post to Facebook.   (Friend has gone out of town for treatment for a health problem).  Anyway, I got 'friended' by about a dozen people - most of whom I actually know.  However, I didn't post much to Facebook at all.   And I unfollowed half the people on there. 

I found myself comparing my every-day life with what others were posting to their Facebook accounts.  Then someone who I've never heard of jumped into my friends' list.  I had good security settings - to the best of my ability.  So I unfriended this person.   A few days later, I shut down my account.  I figured since I was not really enjoying looking at the stuff on there and was a bit concerned about security, it wasn't worth it to me.   I may revisit in the New Year if I want to start contributing to it. 

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5467 on: November 14, 2016, 12:59:35 PM »
.  Then someone who I've never heard of jumped into my friends' list.  I had good security settings - to the best of my ability.  So I unfriended this person.   

Can you explain how this happened?  I am a facebook "light" user, and think that you have to accept a friend invite for them to appear -- is this not actually true?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #5468 on: November 14, 2016, 01:14:24 PM »
Standard in my employment.  Overpaid with decent pension government worker.  I have to sign away all my rights to privacy every 5 years for a background update as well.
Me too. Just heard my latest one finally went through after almost a year of limbo.

The good news: this should be the last time I ever have to go through that full-brain cavity search. By the time it rolls around again, I fully expect to be a millionaire, working for fun in some charity or on a DC policy team (I have weird ideas of fun). Technically I will still be a few months short of retirement eligibility from the mil reserve, but I won't have to give a shit.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5469 on: November 14, 2016, 01:21:14 PM »
.  Then someone who I've never heard of jumped into my friends' list.  I had good security settings - to the best of my ability.  So I unfriended this person.   
Can you explain how this happened?  I am a facebook "light" user, and think that you have to accept a friend invite for them to appear -- is this not actually true?

IME, it's extremely easy to accidentally click on things, especially when you're on a mobile/touchscreen device. The page will hang, you poke it a couple of times, suddenly you've sent someone a friend request without realizing it. I've done it a couple of times with total strangers.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5470 on: November 14, 2016, 01:26:59 PM »

Possibility that one of pachnik's friends changed their name on facebook?  Other than that I've never heard of something like this.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5471 on: November 15, 2016, 09:13:32 AM »
*snip, post follows many about the exploits of human pigs temporarily living with GrimSqueaker to help teach GS's daughter not to enable*

It will take a lot of work to restore the house and the pig room to its former condition after they move out. We've got to deep clean the carpets, scour the crayon marks out of my workroom table, and find and buy new crystals for my antique lamp because some of them are mysteriously missing even after I hunted down the ones that had been mysteriously relocated during piglet playtime.

TheGrimSqueaker, it has now been a few months.  Do you have any updates?  Are all the repairs done?  Does it look like the lesson is sticking for your daughter?  Did you ever explain to her that this was meant to be a lesson?

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5472 on: November 15, 2016, 01:25:11 PM »

I thought so too.  It was probably a finger-fumbling mistake on my part.  But I don't remember accepting this person as a 'friend'. 

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5473 on: November 16, 2016, 07:43:49 AM »

I thought so too.  It was probably a finger-fumbling mistake on my part.  But I don't remember accepting this person as a 'friend'.

Its possible that you could have sent them a request on accident.  I have done that before and didn't realize it until I got the notification that the person had accepted my request.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5474 on: November 16, 2016, 01:13:40 PM »
Friend:  "I'm so upset I have to get a new car. I love my car! Nothing I'm seeing is as good as mine! But 2 separate mechanics can't get the check engine light off so I can't pass emissions and told me it would be a lot of money I'm better off getting a new car. The only one I even like (and not as much) is 40k and my car is already paid off! I don't wanna say goodbye to my baby:( on a good note, the dealership says I have perfect credit!"

One Commenter:  "Time for a Mercedes Benz."

Second Commenter:  "Get a danali."

Third Commenter:  "You deserve a. New car .anyway. .go for it..you've worked your ass off ."

Fortunately, most commenters are suggesting that she may be able to get an emissions waiver if she can show the work the shops have done.

exterous

• Stubble
« Reply #5475 on: November 16, 2016, 01:31:36 PM »

*weep*

No. We recently setup two trusts, POA and patient advocate and I read through every single word and asked questions to make sure I understood everything - even in the sections that I was informed were 'boilerplate'. I know the lawyer pretty well but no one else in the firm, including the person who served as a witness. When the lawyer said "I didn't realize you were so anal" the witness got a concerned look on her face. All she knew was that this was my first interaction with the firm. My wife turned to her and said "Don't worry, my husband takes that as a compliment especially since it came from a lawyer."

And she's right :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 01:33:58 PM by exterous »

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5476 on: November 16, 2016, 01:41:35 PM »
Friend:  "I'm so upset I have to get a new car. I love my car! Nothing I'm seeing is as good as mine! But 2 separate mechanics can't get the check engine light off so I can't pass emissions and told me it would be a lot of money I'm better off getting a new car. The only one I even like (and not as much) is 40k and my car is already paid off! I don't wanna say goodbye to my baby:( on a good note, the dealership says I have perfect credit!"

Third Commenter:  "You deserve a. New car .anyway. .go for it..you've worked your ass off ."

Fortunately, most commenters are suggesting that she may be able to get an emissions waiver if she can show the work the shops have done.

Me:  "Why would you spend $40k on a car?!?! Surely there are MANY options with a more reasonable price."

Friend:  "I'm very picky."

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5477 on: November 17, 2016, 05:59:56 AM »

Me:  "Why would you spend $40k on a car?!?! Surely there are MANY options with a more reasonable price."

Friend:  "I'm very picky."
Your friend is very picky about who will pick her wallet. It must be a well-qualified, experienced pickpocket salesman, not the riff-raff common thief. That way she can brag about being robbed by the best.

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #5478 on: November 17, 2016, 06:48:20 AM »
An acquaintance shared a link on my page (and several other peoples) for a debt management company.

Me:  "Why have you tagged me in that?"
Her:  "It's my friends company, they can put all your debt into one payment for you"
Me:  "Okay, that's not a service I would use"
Her:  "They're really good, they've been going for a long time and are really nice"
Me:  "I don't have any debt"
Her: "Oh"

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #5479 on: November 17, 2016, 06:50:18 AM »
An acquaintance shared a link on my page (and several other peoples) for a debt management company.

Her:  "It's my friends company, they can put all your debt into one payment for you"
Her:  "They're really good, they've been going for a long time and are really nice"

Well played sir. People really can't wrap their heads around a debt-free existence.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #5480 on: November 17, 2016, 07:32:17 AM »

Do they also wrap UK student loans and mortgages into said payment? B)

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #5481 on: November 17, 2016, 07:37:05 AM »

Probably if you ask nicely enough (at 15% APR)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5482 on: November 17, 2016, 07:45:51 AM »

Well played sir. People really can't wrap their heads around a debt-free existence.

Not really related to debt reduction, but rather to random Facebook shills.  I received a friend request from someone I used to work with.  I wasn't even sure this guy remember me, but we're living in the same city again so I said "why not?"  Within minutes of accepting his friend request, he sent me another friend request specifically for his consulting business.  I dropped both immediately.  A couple years ago one of my high school classmates who I never hear from started talking on Facebook about organizing a cruise and that she could find a really good rate for one.  A five minute look at her Facebook page would reveal being the organizer of this trip would earn her some kind of kickback from the cruise company. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5483 on: November 17, 2016, 08:28:04 AM »

Wouldn't your debt then be dischargeable via bankruptcy where as the student loan wasn't?  Not sure how that works in the UK, but if you had significant student loan debt in the USA and could get some company to refinance you, even at a much higher APR you could come out ahead by just declaring bankruptcy.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5484 on: November 17, 2016, 08:54:56 AM »
Not strictly finance-related, but a SUPER ANNOYING post from someone who posts are 60% MLM, 30% politics, and 10% baby pictures:

Do you realize that when you send someone a message in Facebook, it will show when the person has read it?
Believe me, I completely understand if you ignore a question or request or anything I say about my business. That, I do not take personally because business is business. #trustme
What hurts is when someone completely ignores a personal reach out. I am still ME. I am still your friend or family member. Please know if my intention was to talk about [MLM], I say that. If my intention is to tell you about a serious thing that has happened in my life or follow up on a serious life event for you, that is exactly what it is.
Facebook messenger is equivalent to texting or calling. It is one thing to take awhile to respond and a completely other thing to NEVER respond. Please realize words and lack of words hurt.
That is all. Stay well my friends and family. Much ❤️ to each of you.

This is a person I worked with fairly distantly 5+ years ago. I have not seen her since. I hadn't heard from her since, until last January, when she sent me a message talking about how she talked to a mutual friend about her "business", and at the end asked one question about me. Yeah, I ignored that. I have ZERO interest or obligation in talking to her, when it's obvious she's trying to sell me something.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5485 on: November 17, 2016, 08:58:16 AM »

Wouldn't your debt then be dischargeable via bankruptcy where as the student loan wasn't?  Not sure how that works in the UK, but if you had significant student loan debt in the USA and could get some company to refinance you, even at a much higher APR you could come out ahead by just declaring bankruptcy.

I know that deliberately running up debt before bankruptcy is fraud, so I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of thing would run into legal trouble as well.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5486 on: November 17, 2016, 09:07:39 AM »

I know that deliberately running up debt before bankruptcy is fraud, so I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of thing would run into legal trouble as well.

As opposed to accidentally running up debt? I accidentally bought a bunch of shit I can't afford.

Haha, I'm just fucking around.  I know what you mean.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5487 on: November 17, 2016, 10:37:14 AM »

As opposed to accidentally running up debt? I accidentally bought a bunch of shit I can't afford.

:)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #5488 on: November 18, 2016, 06:01:58 AM »

I thought I was the only one - I, however, bought the shit on purpose; it was accidental that I was unable to afford it. :D

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5489 on: November 18, 2016, 07:53:58 AM »

I thought I was the only one - I, however, bought the shit on purpose; it was accidental that I was unable to afford it. :D

Very similar to how the book Gru hated was "accidentally destroyed maliciously".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fuNNtmjDXs

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5490 on: November 18, 2016, 11:21:50 AM »

Very similar to how the book Gru hated was "accidentally destroyed maliciously".

How does one "accidently run up debt." Did they trip?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5491 on: November 18, 2016, 11:45:45 AM »

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #5492 on: November 18, 2016, 12:41:23 PM »

Unless you're Paul Krugman and those of his ilk.  Then you swallow that belief - hook, line and sinker.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5493 on: November 18, 2016, 12:53:26 PM »

Wait - isn't that how a person gets pregnant? Or married? Or buys a house accidentally?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5494 on: November 18, 2016, 01:08:47 PM »

Wait - isn't that how a person gets pregnant? Or married? Or buys a house accidentally?

No joke: the first time my dad made a comment about me getting pregnant must've been accidental, haha (for the record: I was 29, with my husband, and we'd been trying for 5 months...), I totally looked at him with a deadpan expression and said "oops! I tripped and fell on a dick!" I, erm, did not hear a single other commet about my chosen means of reproduction afterwards.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5495 on: November 18, 2016, 01:13:43 PM »
What's this Facebook?

Haha I kid. Actually I deleted my Facebook account almost 3 years ago. Amazing how much more free time I had. I am part of the anti-social media crowd I guess you could say. I don't have Twitter or anything else either. I don't even have  a "smart phone." 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5496 on: November 20, 2016, 05:29:52 AM »
What's this Facebook?

Haha I kid. Actually I deleted my Facebook account almost 3 years ago. Amazing how much more free time I had. I am part of the anti-social media crowd I guess you could say. I don't have Twitter or anything else either. I don't even have  a "smart phone."

I used to be like you. But I've changed and gone the other way. I can see the merit in using it all in a responsible way. There are quite a number of benefits to social media and smart phones, especially for introverted people.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5497 on: November 20, 2016, 06:21:06 AM »
No joke: the first time my dad made a comment about me getting pregnant must've been accidental, haha (for the record: I was 29, with my husband, and we'd been trying for 5 months...), I totally looked at him with a deadpan expression and said "oops! I tripped and fell on a dick!" I, erm, did not hear a single other commet about my chosen means of reproduction afterwards.

I love this. I want to buy you a drink or something as a salute to how awesome that was. (Not now, of course, but when you are no longer making a small human.)

Haha, thanks. :)

There are advantages to having JUST enough awareness of social boundaries to not step all over them unintentionally, yet not actually caring about them... like, if you wanna step over that bridge, I will torch it and have no regrets.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #5498 on: November 22, 2016, 02:36:44 PM »
Friend bought a new dining room table, for just 3000€, what a steal oO

It's handmade by an actual carpenter though, may he find wiser uses for the money.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5499 on: November 22, 2016, 02:54:59 PM »
Friend bought a new dining room table, for just 3000€, what a steal oO

It's handmade by an actual carpenter though, may he find wiser uses for the money.

I got a dining table for $3k, too (though it came with 8 chairs, a cupboard, and a bookshelf). Solid wood, hand made. BIFL is important, I think.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!