Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081787 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #5350 on: October 22, 2016, 10:12:26 PM »
How can anyone have predicted they might require dental work* at some point in their life?

*insert anything else that is 100% guaranteed to happen multiple times over your life time

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #5351 on: October 23, 2016, 09:12:52 AM »
Recently my younger brother mentioned to me on Facebook that our dad bought our cousin a car.  Well, gave her the money to buy a car since she lives interstate, but you know what I mean.  He was surprised:  Our dad wouldn't do that for any of us - his own kids - so why would he do that for our cousin?

While I didn't know about that specific situation, I'm not surprised at all.  I love my family, but I know there's a bit of a problematic relationship dynamic between my uncle and his kids.  The kids see their dad as an unending well of support (both emotional and financial), while in reality, my uncle needs to focus on saving for his and his wife's retirements (given she's unwell) rather than constantly bailing his kids out of whatever crisis they're currently going through. 

My dad knows this and has the capacity to help out, so he does.  My uncle is his oldest friend, so in his mind, giving my cousins economic outpatient care helping out my cousins is keeping them from hitting up my uncle for money, thus helping my uncle. 

I'm not sure what to tell my brother, if anything.  On the one hand, I don't want to say anything lest it sound overly critical.  On the other, I kinda want to tell him that our dad does this as a favour to our uncle, and that we should try our best to never find ourselves in a similar situation as our cousin.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5352 on: October 23, 2016, 09:52:38 AM »
$216 car registration? Aren't registration prices usually based on the price of the vehicle?  Did this person spend their entire salary on the car?

$5/day for coffee x 20 work days a month x 12 months is $1200. How often do you break a tooth?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5353 on: October 23, 2016, 04:09:34 PM »
$216 car registration? Aren't registration prices usually based on the price of the vehicle?  Did this person spend their entire salary on the car?

Depends on the state. Also, you could live in Georgia that has a $200 additional flat charge for electric vehicles.

Edit: 1000 posts!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 04:11:31 PM by RWD »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5354 on: October 23, 2016, 08:27:10 PM »
I've got one!  Here it is:

Because making the minimum payments on a student loan is a sure way to get them paid off...

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #5355 on: October 23, 2016, 08:36:20 PM »

Because making the minimum payments on a student loan is a sure way to get them paid off...

And putting them 'faithfully' in to deference a time or two...

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5356 on: October 23, 2016, 09:53:22 PM »

I tried to run the numbers on this meme a few days ago and came up with either an outrageous interest rate (for a student loan) or a ridiculously low monthly payment.  Is it even possible to have a loan structured to where your balance just keeps going up?

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5357 on: October 23, 2016, 09:57:02 PM »

Depends on the state. Also, you could live in Georgia that has a $200 additional flat charge for electric vehicles.

Edit: 1000 posts!

MT taxes registration quite a bit, I assume because we have no sales tax. In addition to state tax, each county can levy an additional tax. I happen to live in a greedy expensive county, registration is always over $300.  I've heard people complain about $600+ on new vehicles.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5358 on: October 23, 2016, 09:59:22 PM »

I tried to run the numbers on this meme a few days ago and came up with either an outrageous interest rate (for a student loan) or a ridiculously low monthly payment.  Is it even possible to have a loan structured to where your balance just keeps going up?

You can defer student loan payments for hardship. The loan stays in good standing, but continues to accrue interest. Also for lesser hardship, they will accept reduced payments, less than the minimum, that help, but don't actually keep up with interest.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #5359 on: October 23, 2016, 10:00:19 PM »
You can defer student loan payments for hardship. The loan stays in good standing, but continues to accrue interest. Also for lesser hardship, they will accept reduced payments, less than the minimum, that help, but don't actually keep up with interest.

This is my guess of what happened.

I guess that information didn't fit on their sign :P

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5360 on: October 24, 2016, 07:35:07 AM »
Recently my younger brother mentioned to me on Facebook that our dad bought our cousin a car.  Well, gave her the money to buy a car since she lives interstate, but you know what I mean.  He was surprised:  Our dad wouldn't do that for any of us - his own kids - so why would he do that for our cousin?

While I didn't know about that specific situation, I'm not surprised at all.  I love my family, but I know there's a bit of a problematic relationship dynamic between my uncle and his kids.  The kids see their dad as an unending well of support (both emotional and financial), while in reality, my uncle needs to focus on saving for his and his wife's retirements (given she's unwell) rather than constantly bailing his kids out of whatever crisis they're currently going through. 

My dad knows this and has the capacity to help out, so he does.  My uncle is his oldest friend, so in his mind, giving my cousins economic outpatient care helping out my cousins is keeping them from hitting up my uncle for money, thus helping my uncle. 

I'm not sure what to tell my brother, if anything.  On the one hand, I don't want to say anything lest it sound overly critical.  On the other, I kinda want to tell him that our dad does this as a favour to our uncle, and that we should try our best to never find ourselves in a similar situation as our cousin.

Uhhh - teach the uncle's children to support themselves? I've never asked for a car and got by pretty well despite this. Doesn't take much money to buy a presentable commuter car. Something with heat/air and a shiny paint job. Won't be something anyone wants to do a magazine photo shoot about but whatever....

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5361 on: October 24, 2016, 07:54:31 AM »
Here, K and Grade 1 must be picked up by an adult.  In California, kids up to grade 3 were expected (not mandatory, but EXPECTED to be picked up by an adult)

I don't know why the adults don't walk, but they often don't.. maybe between running errands or something in the car, don't have the time, etc..?

My tiny brain just exploded. There's no good reason children from the same neighborhood can't walk together in packs. It helps them learn social skills.

<sarcasm>What about those filthy Irish lurking the streets? </sarcasm> This is one of the downsides of having a heterogeneous culture. In countries where they have 95+% of the same ethnic group, Japan comes to mind, letting kids that young or younger travel without their parents/alone/with their peers isn't uncommon. It's just assumed if they need help that anyone of the adults around will jump into action.
Not really.  I walked home in grammar school with a friend, my mom walked home as a kid with her sibs (and other kids in the neighborhood).  Neither of us lived in an area with the same ethnic group. 

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5362 on: October 24, 2016, 08:38:03 AM »
A friend posted this picture of sushi on Instagram.

2 days later, her tooth is broken and she can't afford emergency dental work. Posts about ordering Papa John's pizza that night. Then: "Being an adult is 90% worrying about money and 10% spending money you don't have on treats because you've worried a lot this week."

In the comments: "A crown alone is $1500 or so. This is why I hadn't gone to the dentist. Like, where will I find $1500? I already have my ultrasounds and heart tests and everything else on my credit card. It's almost maxed out and I can barely make the monthly payment. And, my car registration is due by the end of the month. $216. I'm not whining about it. It's just a fact. I made $28,000 last year. I am about to turn 41 and I don't even have a savings account or a retirement account. So, when people share some bullshit meme about spending $5 a day on coffee and saving that to go buy a plane ticket anywhere in the world instead, I want to punch them in the fucking face. Sometimes poor people are just poor. And, the next person who tells me that Dave Ramsey's books can help me can also get a big fat punch in the fucking face."

I appreciate that her situation is difficult, it's expensive to be poor in America, and skipping a night of sushi or pizza wouldn't come close to  fixing her fundamental lack of money problem. But how do you not see that "spending money you don't have on treats because you're so stressed about money" is making your money problems worse?

I completely understand being poor and not making a lot of money.  However, she is blind to the fact that her spending money she doesn't have will not fix her stress about money.  And taking her comment about being poor in context with the rest of her quote reminds me of the saying "Poor is a mindset, broke is just passing through" which, if I remember correctly, is something I have heard Dave Ramsey say.

ditheca

• Bristles
« Reply #5363 on: October 24, 2016, 11:22:33 AM »

Yes, student loans can be structured so they continue to increase. I have two relatives with masters degrees who never managed to get a job that requires any degree.  One makes $14/hr working full time retail, and his income-based payments on the debt don't even cover the interest.  After so many years, I heard he's due to 'owe' over $1 million soon.

At this point the debt figure is purely academic; he and the system both know it will never be paid off.  I think there is a system where you can get it forgiven if you pay on time for 25 years in a row or something like that.  I doubt many people with financial problems are able to qualify for that forgiveness...

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5364 on: October 24, 2016, 02:52:17 PM »
At this point the debt figure is purely academic; he and the system both know it will never be paid off.  I think there is a system where you can get it forgiven if you pay on time for 25 years in a row or something like that.

GOOD GOSH! I didn't know that was even possible.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5365 on: October 24, 2016, 03:04:04 PM »

Yes, student loans can be structured so they continue to increase. I have two relatives with masters degrees who never managed to get a job that requires any degree.  One makes $14/hr working full time retail, and his income-based payments on the debt don't even cover the interest.  After so many years, I heard he's due to 'owe' over $1 million soon.

At this point the debt figure is purely academic; he and the system both know it will never be paid off.  I think there is a system where you can get it forgiven if you pay on time for 25 years in a row or something like that.  I doubt many people with financial problems are able to qualify for that forgiveness...

At this point is there any incentive for your relative to get a better paying job?  Would a very large portion of any new income go directly to the student loan debt?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #5366 on: October 24, 2016, 03:15:50 PM »

I saw that thing (again) recently and rolled eyes as usual. There's not enough information to prove shit. Even if it's true, so what? Why is it true? As noted, too many variables.
Not even a bank wants to write a loan with negative amortization.

A friend posted this picture of sushi on Instagram.

2 days later, her tooth is broken and she can't afford emergency dental work. Posts about ordering Papa John's pizza that night. Then: "Being an adult is 90% worrying about money and 10% spending money you don't have on treats because you've worried a lot this week."

In the comments: "A crown alone is $1500 or so. This is why I hadn't gone to the dentist. Like, where will I find $1500? I already have my ultrasounds and heart tests and everything else on my credit card. It's almost maxed out and I can barely make the monthly payment. And, my car registration is due by the end of the month. $216. I'm not whining about it. It's just a fact. I made $28,000 last year. I am about to turn 41 and I don't even have a savings account or a retirement account. So, when people share some bullshit meme about spending $5 a day on coffee and saving that to go buy a plane ticket anywhere in the world instead, I want to punch them in the fucking face. Sometimes poor people are just poor. And, the next person who tells me that Dave Ramsey's books can help me can also get a big fat punch in the fucking face."

I appreciate that her situation is difficult, it's expensive to be poor in America, and skipping a night of sushi or pizza wouldn't come close to  fixing her fundamental lack of money problem. But how do you not see that "spending money you don't have on treats because you're so stressed about money" is making your money problems worse?
Plus, that's way the fuck more than $5 worth of sushi. I love how she's essentially threatening anyone who would call her out for lying to herself about the causes of her situation.

Oh, total coincidence: TIL that I need a crown too, and thanks to MMM, I can comfortably shit the $450 copay out of normal cash flow. I'll have to invest a little less next month... oh well.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #5367 on: October 25, 2016, 06:49:39 AM »
This happens so often, that I can't count.
Someone says how long they saved for a vacation/dental works/electronics, while I'm thinking: "I pay that out of cash flow"

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5368 on: October 25, 2016, 07:07:52 AM »
Someone says how long they saved for a vacation/dental works/electronics, while I'm thinking: "I pay that out of cash flow"

Well, to be fair, a lot of the time when that happens to me, I know for a fact that my household income is about 3-4 times what theirs is (and, to be clear: our household income is decent and we're running 2 average canadian salaries in a relatively LCOL area, but we're not bringing in the big bucks either!) What your cashflow is does kind of depend on your allocations of money, but also on how much money there is to go around, period.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5369 on: October 25, 2016, 07:15:38 AM »
Sometimes you might make more money but your lower income friend spends far more on "stuff and things" further worsening their savings situation making their cash flow problem a "DUH!" moment.

Feels good to be wise enough to put back some acorns for later. In my case it was education by failures. Don't want to be broke? Do something about it!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5370 on: October 25, 2016, 07:38:09 AM »
Sometimes you might make more money but your lower income friend spends far more on "stuff and things" further worsening their savings situation making their cash flow problem a "DUH!" moment.

Feels good to be wise enough to put back some acorns for later. In my case it was education by failures. Don't want to be broke? Do something about it!

Oh, yeah, totally. If you make half what I do but spend more than I do, that's just not gonna work at some point.

But I have low-income friends who DO save, but... y'know. Less. Because there's less to go around. And that's not actually shameful, that's just a fact of life/math.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #5371 on: October 25, 2016, 07:53:24 AM »

Well, to be fair, a lot of the time when that happens to me, I know for a fact that my household income is about 3-4 times what theirs is (and, to be clear: our household income is decent and we're running 2 average canadian salaries in a relatively LCOL area, but we're not bringing in the big bucks either!) What your cashflow is does kind of depend on your allocations of money, but also on how much money there is to go around, period.

Obviously, you're right.
But the people I'm talking about are of the same age, the same income level and the same amount of kids (none).
Most of them even are DINKs, so there is really no excuse.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5372 on: October 25, 2016, 08:07:53 AM »

Obviously, you're right.
But the people I'm talking about are of the same age, the same income level and the same amount of kids (none).
Most of them even are DINKs, so there is really no excuse.

At least they saved for it rather than putting it on a credit card they cannot pay right away?

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5373 on: October 25, 2016, 08:27:38 AM »

My 2013 Honda Fit registers for that in my state. Depends where you live....

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5374 on: October 25, 2016, 10:16:31 AM »
Yeah, registration in Texas was $55/year. Here in IL it's $101.  In some places it's based on the value of the car and/or its age.

One thing that caught DW and me by surprise was when we moved to TX and had to pay a bunch more to register our car for the first time.  That was annoying.

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #5375 on: October 25, 2016, 12:47:56 PM »
Registration for my wife's 2011 Mazda 3 (frugal vehicle worth about $6k) in California was $230 just last month.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #5376 on: October 27, 2016, 11:38:47 AM »

Someone actually signed this car loan and now owe over 34k on it.  They've wised up and are trying to get out of it, but market value is only 12k, so they're considering a voluntary repo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5377 on: October 27, 2016, 12:02:06 PM »
Someone actually signed this car loan and now owe over 34k on it.  They've wised up and are trying to get out of it, but market value is only 12k, so they're considering a voluntary repo.
How is it even legal to have the payment amount so low that it doesn't even cover interest? Also, I'm trying to figure out why the financed amount is so much more than the sales price. Were they upside down on a trade-in?

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5378 on: October 27, 2016, 12:20:50 PM »
How is it even legal to have the payment amount so low that it doesn't even cover interest? Also, I'm trying to figure out why the financed amount is so much more than the sales price. Were they upside down on a trade-in?

Not sure on the payment being too low to cover interest.  My guess is the salesman convinced them to buy the extended warranty, gap insurance, etc along with rolling in the balance of the trade-in.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5379 on: October 27, 2016, 12:29:19 PM »
20% interest on $20K is $4k, or about $155 biweekly. The payment is almost 70% interest, but it's not negative amortization.
As for how the balance managed to go up by another $14k, either they just didn't pay it for years, or it has something to do with the fine print, which isn't all visible there. I wonder if by "simple interest" they mean a fixed charge accrued up front....

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #5380 on: October 27, 2016, 12:29:55 PM »
I *think* they missed a bunch of payments, and over time, the interest kept growing.  The loan was taken out several years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5381 on: October 27, 2016, 12:34:54 PM »
I *think* they missed a bunch of payments, and over time, the interest kept growing.  The loan was taken out several years ago.
"My advice to [them] is to start drinking heavily."

Or, there's always insurance fraud.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5382 on: October 27, 2016, 12:44:27 PM »
I love how the sales price was $15k, but they took out $20k.  Did they just get $5k in cash?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5383 on: October 27, 2016, 12:50:58 PM »
I love how the sales price was $15k, but they took out $20k.  Did they just get $5k in cash?

Sometimes that's actually a possiblity.

Look, free money! (ARGH)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5384 on: October 27, 2016, 01:13:26 PM »

Oh, yeah, totally. If you make half what I do but spend more than I do, that's just not gonna work at some point.

But I have low-income friends who DO save, but... y'know. Less. Because there's less to go around. And that's not actually shameful, that's just a fact of life/math.

Exactly. I guess most of us have been those low income people early in our lives. That said, its tough to be lower income AND drawn to spend on things you don't need and thus find yourself in a pinch when real needs pop up. Been there and its what motivated DW and I to make more money/get education/spend differently.

I don't look down on these folks but I do question (in my head) why they are smoking, driving a thirsty something with expensive tires, and planning vacations to expensive places on credit cards. Live and let live but don't complain too loudly when the paychecks won't pay for it all.

That car loan ought to have one more line that tells the total cost of the loan $20K @ 20% for X years = $34K. I guess all the info is out there via the 'net in the form of calculators and car loan descriptions and "True Value" estimations.

Still it always bothers me to see someone taken advantage of. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 01:18:40 PM by Joe Lucky »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5385 on: October 27, 2016, 01:33:41 PM »
20% interest on $20K is $4k, or about $155 biweekly. The payment is almost 70% interest, but it's not negative amortization.
As for how the balance managed to go up by another $14k, either they just didn't pay it for years, or it has something to do with the fine print, which isn't all visible there. I wonder if by "simple interest" they mean a fixed charge accrued up front....
I missed that it was biweekly payments. Assuming normal loan terms (probably a terrible assumption at this point) it works out to almost six years before the loan would be paid off with regular on-time payments. With nothing going wrong they would pay a little over $34k for a vehicle presumably worth $15k...

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5386 on: October 27, 2016, 01:35:16 PM »
Probably worth more like $12K, because if you're dumb enough to sign that loan, you're also paying asking price... to the same people who just got you for 6 years at 20% on a depreciating asset....

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5387 on: October 28, 2016, 06:35:08 AM »
Here, K and Grade 1 must be picked up by an adult.  In California, kids up to grade 3 were expected (not mandatory, but EXPECTED to be picked up by an adult)

I don't know why the adults don't walk, but they often don't.. maybe between running errands or something in the car, don't have the time, etc..?

My tiny brain just exploded. There's no good reason children from the same neighborhood can't walk together in packs. It helps them learn social skills.

I live in an urban district with mandatory busing for "integration" purposes. When my oldest son reached kindergarten age, our request to put him in the elementary school a quarter-mile from our house was denied; they wanted to bus him across the city to another school instead. Essentially, put a five year old on a bus for two hours a day so he could go to a "failing" school in another neighborhood rather than the "failing" school in our neighborhood. So now he goes to a charter.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5388 on: October 28, 2016, 07:37:42 AM »
This morning I was scrolling through my facebook feed while my computer loaded and I came across a post from one of my athlete's moms (I'm a youth coach).  She was complaining that she lives on a cul-de-sac and a moving van broke down right at the end of it, completely blocking the road so she had no way to get her giant SUV out of her street to pick up her son from school.  Someone commented on it and said that she should just walk to the school and her response what that she can't because the school is a mile and a half away. *facepalm* This woman isn't even overweight by normal American standards - a mile and a half walk (or 3 miles total round-trip) shouldn't be that big of an issue!  Apparently the problem was solved when she saw a neighbor come home who lives past where the truck was sitting, and he drove her to pick up her son.

Maybe she just like the smell of toxic gas fumes when she is lined up idling behind a hundred other SUVs in the school carpark.

or he could always ride the bus, don't schools still do that?
I know for where I grew up, a mile and a half was the cutoff for the bus picking you up.  It was assumed kids were capable of walking any less than that....

It's 3 miles here, which I think is a pretty long way to expect a kid to walk twice a day to begin with, and at least from my neighborhood there are no sidewalks. Kids would have to walk an unpaved road with a speed limit of 55 mph.  I don't even like driving that road it gets so dusty that you can't see anything.   Now way would I send a kid walking!

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5389 on: October 28, 2016, 01:08:20 PM »

Exactly. I guess most of us have been those low income people early in our lives. That said, its tough to be lower income AND drawn to spend on things you don't need and thus find yourself in a pinch when real needs pop up. Been there and its what motivated DW and I to make more money/get education/spend differently.

I don't look down on these folks but I do question (in my head) why they are smoking, driving a thirsty something with expensive tires, and planning vacations to expensive places on credit cards. Live and let live but don't complain too loudly when the paychecks won't pay for it all.

That car loan ought to have one more line that tells the total cost of the loan $20K @ 20% for X years = $34K. I guess all the info is out there via the 'net in the form of calculators and car loan descriptions and "True Value" estimations.

Still it always bothers me to see someone taken advantage of.
[/quote]

Sadly, I have one that tops this.  My MIL just bought a new-to-her jeep for $22,000....with 180,000 miles on it....and an interest rate of 28%.  Twenty-eight freaking percent!  Her payments are something like $500 a month.  For an old jeep.  Nothing at all special about it.  I have so many stories I could tell that would boggle your mind, but this is her most recent one.

VladTheImpaler

• Stubble
« Reply #5390 on: October 30, 2016, 09:32:30 AM »
Sadly, I have one that tops this.  My MIL just bought a new-to-her jeep for $22,000....with 180,000 miles on it....and an interest rate of 28%.  Twenty-eight freaking percent!  Her payments are something like $500 a month.  For an old jeep.  Nothing at all special about it.  I have so many stories I could tell that would boggle your mind, but this is her most recent one.

And you married her offspring?
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

[MOD NOTE: That's a bit crude.  You can see how a friendly discussion can get derailed by this sort of thing.]

Has dear spouse exhibited any of this behavior yet?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:27:21 AM by FrugalToque »

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #5391 on: October 30, 2016, 09:56:13 AM »
So it's an interest-only loan?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5392 on: October 30, 2016, 10:16:58 AM »

Gosh, that's a bit of a leap of logic to assume that the child must be exactly like the mother! There are countless threads on this forum of people saying that it was actually seeing all their parents' crazy financial habits that made them determined to manage their money properly.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:44:18 AM by shelivesthedream »

JrDoctor

• Stubble
« Reply #5393 on: October 31, 2016, 12:39:46 AM »
It is entirely possible for offspring to be different from their parents, your parents are probably very pleasant on internet forums while you act like a c***.

[MOD NOTE: Yeah, okay.  Let's all cool off a bit.  There's no need to get this testy.]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:28:32 AM by FrugalToque »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5394 on: October 31, 2016, 01:19:49 AM »
It is entirely possible for offspring to be different from their parents, your parents are probably very pleasant on internet forums while you act like a c***.

Ok you're both out of line there. No need to be obnoxious.

Forum is better than this.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5395 on: October 31, 2016, 01:33:11 PM »
The latest from trainwreck friend on FB that I've mentioned earlier:  A series of posts begging to borrow someones car for 3 weeks, for free of course (not sure what happened to hers, I am assuming it got repo'd), when no takers to that "Can I at LEAST get a free ride to court in county X, I need to be there tomorrow for an eviction hearing" aaaand then, does anyone have a room that can take us in for super super cheap.  Us is her, guy she cheated on hubby with, and EIGHT animals. 

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5396 on: October 31, 2016, 01:43:13 PM »
The latest from trainwreck friend on FB that I've mentioned earlier:  A series of posts begging to borrow someones car for 3 weeks, for free of course (not sure what happened to hers, I am assuming it got repo'd), when no takers to that "Can I at LEAST get a free ride to court in county X, I need to be there tomorrow for an eviction hearing" aaaand then, does anyone have a room that can take us in for super super cheap.  Us is her, guy she cheated on hubby with, and EIGHT animals.

Oof.  That is something that scares me about having a kid.  I already have a dog and a husband, and it was much easier to imagine friends who could put me up for a week on their couch when it was just me.  Now that we're a much bigger package, it would be more difficult. 

How do you even keep track of eight animals?  Are they all goldfish???

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5397 on: October 31, 2016, 01:49:34 PM »

Oof.  That is something that scares me about having a kid.  I already have a dog and a husband, and it was much easier to imagine friends who could put me up for a week on their couch when it was just me.  Now that we're a much bigger package, it would be more difficult. 

She has two kids as well, but primary custody is their father.  No they are all mammals, she "rehomed" two of her dogs earlier in the year for a large fee, then acquired some stray kittens from behind her work that she sold off 100 a pop.  I think she was trying to get rid of one of her cats at one point because the medical bills were too high, even though she's had it for eight years.  She just found another stray kitten that she's homing right now.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5398 on: October 31, 2016, 02:04:57 PM »
She has two kids as well, but primary custody is their father.  No they are all mammals, she "rehomed" two of her dogs earlier in the year for a large fee, then acquired some stray kittens from behind her work that she sold off 100 a pop.  I think she was trying to get rid of one of her cats at one point because the medical bills were too high, even though she's had it for eight years.  She just found another stray kitten that she's homing right now.

I do not understand people who somehow turn a profit off of domestic animals (who are not highly trained rescue dogs or something).  I am not a support of most animal breeding in general, but I lived with a very conscientious breed enthusiast and breeder, and despite fetching 2-4K for each puppy, she was in the hole on each litter because of the costs of properly taking care of the mom and puppies, and always keeping a no-questions-asked open-door return policy.  Animals are money sinks!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #5399 on: October 31, 2016, 02:13:43 PM »

This is Madame Bovary from your earlier post, isn't it?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!