Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082089 times)

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #5050 on: August 19, 2016, 06:59:45 PM »
Egg steaming questions!

First: Cold eggs or room temp eggs?

Second: Do you know what the steaming time is for soft-boiled eggs with a nice, runny yolk?  (We've started eating them a LOT over rice flavored with teriyaki sauce and topped with green onions, and they are a nice addition to miso soup.)

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5051 on: August 19, 2016, 10:43:11 PM »
Instant Pot FTW!

Plus, you can cook both potatoes and hard cook eggs at the same time for potato salad. I've only done it once so far, but the eggs peeled very easily.
+1 for instant pot. I make a chicken dinner in the bottom and steam eggs on top. Perfect Everytime!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5052 on: August 22, 2016, 09:20:26 AM »
Egg steaming questions!

Second: Do you know what the steaming time is for soft-boiled eggs with a nice, runny yolk?  (We've started eating them a LOT over rice flavored with teriyaki sauce and topped with green onions, and they are a nice addition to miso soup.)

Yes please give us this info, I have tried poaching them in the microwave (out of the shell in a custard dish) and either the white is still liquid or the yolks are hard.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5053 on: August 22, 2016, 10:21:10 AM »
Egg steaming questions!

I found cold or room temp it doesn't make a difference.

I'm not sure about soft boiled eggs, because I don't like them.  For a hard-boiled egg I do 12 minutes, so maybe 6-8 for soft?

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5054 on: August 22, 2016, 02:29:42 PM »
I have tried poaching them in the microwave (out of the shell in a custard dish) and either the white is still liquid or the yolks are hard.

Have you tried putting a cup of water in the microwave when you are poaching the egg? Not for the steam but to absorb some of the power so that the heat will move through the egg. Or doing four at a time?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5055 on: August 22, 2016, 05:23:36 PM »
A few weeks ago an older lady at church mentioned she was having financial troubles. Today she posted a picture of her brand new Buick Encore on facebook.

I don't know anything about her finances, but I no longer feel compelled to worry about her.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 05:28:40 PM by solon »

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #5056 on: August 22, 2016, 08:08:12 PM »
Instant Pot FTW!

Plus, you can cook both potatoes and hard cook eggs at the same time for potato salad. I've only done it once so far, but the eggs peeled very easily.
+1 for instant pot. I make a chicken dinner in the bottom and steam eggs on top. Perfect Everytime!
I don't microwave my pot, I just roll it and light up.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5057 on: August 22, 2016, 08:25:16 PM »
Instant Pot FTW!

I don't microwave my pot, I just roll it and light up.

You're missing out, just put some on a graham cracker spread with PB and then nuke it for like 30 seconds.

MrRealEstate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5058 on: August 23, 2016, 02:27:05 AM »
A few weeks ago an older lady at church mentioned she was having financial troubles. Today she posted a picture of her brand new Buick Encore on facebook.

I don't know anything about her finances, but I no longer feel compelled to worry about her.

you should congratulate her on her financial windfall that allowed her to buy a new car.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5059 on: August 23, 2016, 07:58:27 AM »
Kroger is a large grocery chain with a rewards system that translates purchases into discounts at their gasoline pumps. A friend posted a Facebook photo of her filling her tank for nearly free with the caption "I love Kroger!" I responded, "The math suggests that Kroger loves you even more!"

ooeei

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5060 on: August 23, 2016, 08:52:49 AM »
Egg steaming questions!

I've always simmered them for about 6 minutes, then dunked in ice water.  They seem easier to peel if you leave them in the ice water for 10-15 minutes or so.  It's basically what's outlined here, except I don't measure the water temp.  Once you've done it a couple times you'll figure out whether to add or subtract time.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/10/the-food-lab-science-of-how-to-cook-perfect-boiled-eggs.html

After a couple cartons of eggs, and a whole mess of egg salad, and what initially seemed like an un-winnable shell game, I determined that time to be eggs-actly 6 minutes, delivering the soft-boiled beauty you see above. Since whites set at 155 degrees and yolks set at 158, you have a tolerance of three degrees to work with, which translates to about 15 seconds in either direction. Use a timer!

For best results, heat water to 180 degrees as measured on an instant-read thermometer. After adding eggs, adjust heat to maintain temperature at 180 degrees for duration of cooking time. If you do not have a thermometer, keep the water at the early simmer stage when tiny bubbles are just beginning to break the surface (at high altitudes, the water may be bubbling more vigorously).

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5061 on: August 23, 2016, 09:24:34 AM »
I have tried poaching them in the microwave (out of the shell in a custard dish) and either the white is still liquid or the yolks are hard.

Have you tried putting a cup of water in the microwave when you are poaching the egg? Not for the steam but to absorb some of the power so that the heat will move through the egg. Or doing four at a time?

I had them at power level 5, so not on strong power.  Next time I may separate them, put the whites in for a minute, and then add the yolks.  Or try them at 4. Or both. 

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #5062 on: August 23, 2016, 09:30:55 AM »
Kroger is a large grocery chain with a rewards system that translates purchases into discounts at their gasoline pumps. A friend posted a Facebook photo of her filling her tank for nearly free with the caption "I love Kroger!" I responded, "The math suggests that Kroger loves you even more!"
Off topic, but if you're into gift cards (buying, liquidating, reselling) you can get gas pretty much for free when they have promotions for extra fuel points on gift card purchases (I don't have a Kroger nearby, unfortunately [nor a car], but I've heard of quite a few people doing this).

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5063 on: August 23, 2016, 09:38:38 AM »
Off topic, but if you're into gift cards (buying, liquidating, reselling) you can get gas pretty much for free when they have promotions for extra fuel points on gift card purchases (I don't have a Kroger nearby, unfortunately [nor a car], but I've heard of quite a few people doing this).

My friends do this. Anything they buy at the grocery store gives them fuel points, which translates to discounts, sometimes big ones including free fill ups.  So they buy everything there. If they need something from Home Depot, they buy a HD gift card at the grocery store to get the fuel points.

I've been trying to convince them to get a cash back card like AMEX Blue Cash (no annual fee) which give 3% cash back on all grocery stores, but they are reluctant to do that.  In the last year they finally got out of CC debt and don't quite trust themselves with another yet. Which I understand.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5064 on: August 23, 2016, 09:49:25 AM »

Depending on how much effort your friend is putting in, those can be a good deal; through judicious use of coupons and sale shopping, my wife gets "gas points" at our local grocery chain / gas outlet for significantly less than their value. It does require careful planning, though.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5065 on: August 23, 2016, 10:21:28 AM »
Egg steaming questions!

I found cold or room temp it doesn't make a difference.

I'm not sure about soft boiled eggs, because I don't like them.  For a hard-boiled egg I do 12 minutes, so maybe 6-8 for soft?

All right, I finally realized that you were probably not the only one who used this method and that the internet would probably have a definite answer for me.  Thank you for getting me started on this path!

I used this post.  Right now I am eating soft-cooked eggs for lunch that were steamed for 6 minutes and then run under cold* water.  Some of the yolk is a little solid (not perfectly liquid), so I might try five minutes next time.

Peeling was not too bad.  It seemed a little easier than my current method of boil water with vinegar and salt, then drop in cold eggs and simmer for 4 minutes.

* "Cold" in that I used the cold tap on the faucet, but as it is currently summer, the water is not very chilled.

*snip*

I've always simmered them for about 6 minutes, then dunked in ice water.  They seem easier to peel if you leave them in the ice water for 10-15 minutes or so.  It's basically what's outlined here, except I don't measure the water temp.  Once you've done it a couple times you'll figure out whether to add or subtract time.

*snip*

I have long cooked my eggs (hard and soft) via simmering.  However, of every dozen eggs I buy, there are at least a few that have some small weak line or point.  While the other eggs fare well unless I am stupid and drop them too quickly, these weak point eggs crack badly and leak their contents around half the time.  Steam sounded like a good cooking method to improve the chance of survival for those eggs.  And so it seems to be!  Of the two I soft-cooked today, one had a visible line.  After steaming, the line changed to a definite crack, but no white escaped, and the cooking of the egg was unaffected.  Obviously a sample size of one isn't great, but it certainly gives me hope for future eggs.

Also, boiling a half-inch of water takes much less time and electricity than boiling/simmering a full pot.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5066 on: August 23, 2016, 12:23:07 PM »
I have a friend who buys Kroger gift cards to get fuel points, then uses the gift card to buy groceries and gets the fuel points. 

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5067 on: August 23, 2016, 01:06:18 PM »

Depending on how much effort your friend is putting in, those can be a good deal; through judicious use of coupons and sale shopping, my wife gets "gas points" at our local grocery chain / gas outlet for significantly less than their value. It does require careful planning, though.
It's a pretty good program, especially if you have monthly prescriptions (50 points each).  My mom and I share an account, and we go on "senior day" for an extra 5% off. She pays for it with her Amex Blue (and I get her discounts).  Then we both go and gas up at the same time, sharing a pump (it's up to 35 gallons for $1 off per gallon).  Since neither of us use much gas (about a tank a month), we generally pay under $15/month for gas now.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5068 on: August 23, 2016, 05:16:49 PM »

It's a pretty good program, especially if you have monthly prescriptions (50 points each).  My mom and I share an account, and we go on "senior day" for an extra 5% off. She pays for it with her Amex Blue (and I get her discounts).  Then we both go and gas up at the same time, sharing a pump (it's up to 35 gallons for $1 off per gallon).  Since neither of us use much gas (about a tank a month), we generally pay under $15/month for gas now.

There's nothing wrong with the program itself - you have to eat, so why not get points if you are shopping there anyways.  Around here we have Safeway, and the rewards work out to basically a 1% rebate.  So to get a free tank of gas (say, $40) you'd have to spend $4k.  Which could be a lot, depending on how long you save the points.  For us, they expire after a month so spending $4k in one month is excessive.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #5069 on: August 23, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »
Regarding a 5-year (!) loan on a ring, this gem popped up:
"While I would never finance a ring, I prefer to finance things. Things we often have enough money for strictly because whenever I spend more than $100 on anything at one time everything but the kitchen sink breaks. That and I feel better about a small amount coming out of my account every month than a couple grand."

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5070 on: August 23, 2016, 08:05:54 PM »
Yes, I learned the steaming thing a few months ago and want to know:  WHY DIDN'T I LEARN THIS 30 YEARS AGO, AND WHY ISN'T THIS COMMON KNOWLEDGE.

Seriously, it works so well.

I'm going to try this sometime.

12 minutes seems awfully precise. BUT MAKE IT SO
It would seem logical to modify it for small, medium and large eggs.
Maybe plus and minus a minute.

VladTheImpaler

• Stubble
« Reply #5071 on: August 23, 2016, 08:56:02 PM »
Kroger's has a "Free Friday Download" on their website every Friday.
Before I go grocery shopping on Friday I go to their website and select the freebie, and it adds it to my account.
Usually it's an item like a free power bar or an energy drink for free.

Also, Kroger offers double gas points when you shop on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5072 on: August 23, 2016, 08:59:38 PM »
Kroger's has a "Free Friday Download" on their website every Friday.

Yeah, I used to do Kroger's Free Friday Download more regularly, but in recent months, its mostly been for trashy processed food or candy.  Even "free" doesn't make it worth it!

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5073 on: August 23, 2016, 09:04:11 PM »
Yes, but one time the Friday Freebie was for a Moonstruck chocolate bar.  :: drools ::

bebegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Sleepless in
« Reply #5074 on: August 24, 2016, 05:29:49 PM »
I love fashion so follow some businesses on fb.

Just recently saw this posting:

"Work hard so you can shop harder"

354 shares

One girl wrote something like "that is why I work, work, work, work"

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5075 on: August 24, 2016, 09:59:15 PM »
Instant Pot FTW!

Steamed Jumbo eggs in the IP.  Straight out of the fridge, steam setting for 6 minutes, released the steam and let them sit for another minute or two, then into cool ish tap water for a few minutes.  Nearly perfect hard boil.  Will try 4-5 minutes next, as the yolks were just a touch to the chalky side, with the outer yolk turning color, but the whites were perfect, and they nearly peeled themselves.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5076 on: August 25, 2016, 08:13:16 AM »

354 shares

This is part of a pop song.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5077 on: August 25, 2016, 09:06:45 AM »
Instant Pot FTW!

Steamed Jumbo eggs in the IP.  Straight out of the fridge, steam setting for 6 minutes, released the steam and let them sit for another minute or two, then into cool ish tap water for a few minutes.  Nearly perfect hard boil.  Will try 4-5 minutes next, as the yolks were just a touch to the chalky side, with the outer yolk turning color, but the whites were perfect, and they nearly peeled themselves.

I just got one and am going to try make butter chicken with it tonight.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5078 on: August 25, 2016, 09:13:56 AM »
This one's anti-antimustachian, but there's no anti-anti thread for FB (right?), so it goes here. Meme-style photo with text that says, "Don't buy me everything you wish you could have had growing up. Teach me everything you wish you knew growing up." Reminds me of the "how not to turn your kids into economic outpatients" chapter of Millionaire Next Door.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #5079 on: August 25, 2016, 09:58:48 AM »

354 shares

Which is weird, because the full quote (and the song) is about the opposite:
"You don't gotta go to work, work, work, work [continues ad nauseam]..."

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5080 on: August 25, 2016, 10:12:33 AM »

354 shares

IIRC she's trying to get him to quit his job so they can have more sex.  I'm not sure that's the responsible thing to do...

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5081 on: August 25, 2016, 12:08:42 PM »

354 shares

IIRC she's trying to get him to quit his job so they can have more sex.  I'm not sure that's the responsible thing to do...

I dunno -- the girl's advocating that "we can work from home," so really I think she's just recognizing that working from home is more efficient, workers are more productive, etc. ;-)

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5082 on: August 25, 2016, 01:09:37 PM »

354 shares

I dunno -- the girl's advocating that "we can work from home," so really I think she's just recognizing that working from home is more efficient, workers are more productive, etc. ;-)

Maybe Fifth Harmony are closet mustachians.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5083 on: August 25, 2016, 01:20:07 PM »

354 shares

Well, days when my husband and I both work from home while our children are at daycare have more *ahem* productive lunches, for sure... ;)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5084 on: August 25, 2016, 01:51:04 PM »

354 shares

Well, days when my husband and I both work from home while our children are at daycare have more *ahem* productive lunches, for sure... ;)

On the clock lovin' is uniquely satisfying, no?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5085 on: August 25, 2016, 02:06:53 PM »

354 shares

On the clock lovin' is uniquely satisfying, no?

The kid is in daycare. WE CAN BE AS LOUD AS WE WANT.

And then the rest of the afternoon is so much nicer. :)

MrRealEstate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5086 on: August 27, 2016, 12:45:29 AM »

354 shares

Pretty sure the first quote is referring to Rhianna's song and not fifth harmony's

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5087 on: August 27, 2016, 12:54:09 AM »
..."Don't buy me everything you wish you could have had growing up. Teach me everything you wish you knew growing up." ...

Love this. Thanks for sharing.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5088 on: August 27, 2016, 01:48:49 PM »

354 shares

Pretty sure the first quote is referring to Rhianna's song and not fifth harmony's

No, it's Fifth Harmony's.  Didn't even know about Rihanna's!

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #5089 on: August 28, 2016, 01:24:29 PM »
There's nothing wrong with the program itself - you have to eat, so why not get points if you are shopping there anyways.  Around here we have Safeway, and the rewards work out to basically a 1% rebate.  So to get a free tank of gas (say, $40) you'd have to spend $4k.  Which could be a lot, depending on how long you save the points.  For us, they expire after a month so spending $4k in one month is excessive.

Same here. I can't seem to accumulate the Safeway fuel points fast enough. Even if I could, Costco gas, is still cheaper, even during 5% gas cashback months (especially now that the Costco Visa is always 4%).

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5090 on: August 28, 2016, 09:57:09 PM »

Same here. I can't seem to accumulate the Safeway fuel points fast enough. Even if I could, Costco gas, is still cheaper, even during 5% gas cashback months (especially now that the Costco Visa is always 4%).

Out Safeway has a cash price that's a few cents higher than Costco, but it's closer to our house.  So if we have a reward it's the cheapest and otherwise still worth it if we aren't already near Costco.  Although Costco just started taking visa so have to factor the 1% for that (if you have the Costco visa it's like 4% right?  Might get it just for the gas rewards but there's no signup bonus)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5091 on: August 28, 2016, 10:57:49 PM »
I realized that if I dropped the mileage per year, saving an extra 1-3% on fuel did not really matter...   

Driving to Costco for groceries (a 20 minute drive) often, and other errands was crazy expensive in terms of gas versus savings.  (minimal savings on bulk generic foods)

UKMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #5092 on: August 31, 2016, 12:42:34 AM »
Someone on my facebook just shared a meme with a picture of one of the kardashians.

The text reads "when the direct deposit hits and you party like you didn't just have $3.48 left yesterday"

*facepalm*

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #5093 on: September 01, 2016, 08:01:04 AM »
I was also present in person, but since this also went on FB: friends who are actively trying to move to another state just bought their second essentially disposable gazebo for their hot tub in a short period of time. Today, in fact, was the day they wanted to be in their new home (the holdups are primarily financial).
The first canopy was $60 and got blown apart by a storm, so the obvious solution was to drop $200 on a better one that probably still won't survive the summer, let alone the move. I was surprised to be invited to help assemble it while visiting... I never mind helping, especially with such lovely hosts, but it seems a bit counter to their current #1 goal.
Both current and future locations are LCOL and she earns at least $40K from home, so you'd think this would be easy, but the amount of conspicuous consumption and convenience spending at play there is beyond what I could even list here. No, this move cannot happen until they are assured of continuous DINK status. I love 'em and feel bad for 'em. They're super happy, to all appearances, but they could really have their cake and eat it too, if they just dialed things back a little.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5094 on: September 02, 2016, 11:51:16 AM »
I posted a link to that Marketwatch article from June about how the median American couple has only five thousand dollars saved for retirement. This, of course, devolved into a bunch of somber head nodding about how only rich people can take advantage of retirement saving schemes, because the rich politicians rig the system so that only their peers can benefit. Also, investing in stocks is "too volatile", according to a guy who keeps his IRA in a money market fund and says he'll never be able to retire.

I'm pulling you goddamn horses to water. DRINK!

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5095 on: September 02, 2016, 02:56:58 PM »
Has our country always been dysfunctional like this or is this something recent?

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5096 on: September 02, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »
Has our country always been dysfunctional like this or is this something recent?

I maintain that it's always been this way, it just wasn't broadcasted publicly to the extent it is today. Since the advent of social media it's all out in the open.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #5097 on: September 02, 2016, 03:43:46 PM »

I maintain that it's always been this way, it just wasn't broadcasted publicly to the extent it is today. Since the advent of social media it's all out in the open.

Well with respect to saving for retirement, the use of 401k's is a more recent development. Pensions used to be the retirement vehicle of choice. People didn't have to finance their own retirement (at least, not a large chunk of it).

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5098 on: September 02, 2016, 04:04:17 PM »
My friend shared a meme that said "I love buying things online because when they arrive it's like a present to me, from me" with a comment saying "17 gifts this week!"

And all these people were commenting about how many packages they had delivered this week.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5099 on: September 02, 2016, 06:24:53 PM »
Well with respect to saving for retirement, the use of 401k's is a more recent development. Pensions used to be the retirement vehicle of choice. People didn't have to finance their own retirement (at least, not a large chunk of it).

Most people never had a pension.   Only 38% of workers in 1980 were part of a pension PLAN.  (Being part of a plan doesn't mean they ended up getting a pension, either.  They might leave that job before they accumulated enough years to get a pension.)  Now the percentage is around 20%.

Most people financed their own retirement.  They bought savings bonds (still waiting for a few of my parent's bonds to mature before I cash them in).   They bought stocks and bonds.  They bought businesses.  Or they just saved cash.

Or they depended on their children to provide for them.