Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082612 times)

druth

• Bristles
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #5000 on: August 11, 2016, 12:41:14 PM »
Notoriously bad with money FB friend:

Friend: "When you make food for today and forget all of it and are flat broken til tomorrow. That."
Her friend: "Can I bring you food to your work?"
Friend: "Actually the awesome folks at my Caribou heard me lamenting to a coworker and gave me my drink for free. So I have five bucks to get something at the convenience store. That should get me a microwave pot pie :D  I really appreciate you offering."

Wait...  so you weren't broke.  You had $5.  And you had no lunch so you had to spend it on Caribou?  And because the Caribou people knew you and gave you a free drink you can afford lunch now?   You can't afford to buy lunch at the end of your paycheck but you have something that you deem "my Caribou".  I...  just....  what?

She is constantly posting about all the clothes and plastic fandom paraphenalia she bought.  Literally yesterday she posted a $200 backpack that she is going to try to get the money for before the kickstarter ends.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5001 on: August 11, 2016, 01:21:40 PM »
Literally yesterday she posted a $200 backpack that she is going to try to get the money for before the kickstarter ends.

I was wondering how the heck so many Kickstarters get funded and now I know. That's one mystery to scratch off my list.

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #5002 on: August 11, 2016, 01:59:04 PM »
Literally yesterday she posted a $200 backpack that she is going to try to get the money for before the kickstarter ends.

I was wondering how the heck so many Kickstarters get funded and now I know. That's one mystery to scratch off my list.
I keep thinking to myself that I should come up with some stupid, overpriced product to sell on Kickstarter, but I can't bring myself to do it.
I always have a "why would anyone buy this?" thought because my brain can't fathom that some people will literally buy anything, just like a toddler would put anything in their mouth.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5003 on: August 11, 2016, 02:13:25 PM »

I keep thinking to myself that I should come up with some stupid, overpriced product to sell on Kickstarter, but I can't bring myself to do it.
I always have a "why would anyone buy this?" thought because my brain can't fathom that some people will literally buy anything, just like a toddler would put anything in their mouth.

Welcome to my life. I'm a direct importer and nothing I bring in is something you need to have, and it boggles my mind that people actually buy this stuff. They must because our customers keep coming back to re-order them.

IndyPendent

• Stubble
« Reply #5004 on: August 11, 2016, 08:13:10 PM »
[...]

It just occurred to me that Kickstarter may appeal to the same psychological process that led to the boom in "As seen on TV" infomercials and products 20 years ago.

Everything old is new again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #5005 on: August 12, 2016, 06:58:32 AM »

Did the backpack come with $175 stuffed in one of its many pockets?  Asking cause I know for a fact you can get a nice JanSport backpack for less than $25 anywhere in America. Or was it a humanely raise, eco friendly, gluten free, grass fed backpack?

+1

This gave me a good chuckle - kudos to you!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5006 on: August 12, 2016, 07:18:10 AM »

Did the backpack come with $175 stuffed in one of its many pockets?  Asking cause I know for a fact you can get a nice JanSport backpack for less than $25 anywhere in America. Or was it a humanely raise, eco friendly, gluten free, grass fed backpack?

+1

grass like hemp?

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #5007 on: August 12, 2016, 07:59:31 AM »

+1

grass like hemp?

And artisanally crafted

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5008 on: August 12, 2016, 08:26:00 AM »

+1

grass like hemp?

And artisanally crafted

dry aged in a diamond-encrusted cavern formed by a millennia of virginal trade winds beating against naturalized rock formations that have never known the touch of man

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #5009 on: August 12, 2016, 06:59:35 PM »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/peak-design/the-everyday-backpack-tote-and-sling

Nothing special at all as far as I can tell.  But it's "engineered".

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #5010 on: August 13, 2016, 09:57:43 AM »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/peak-design/the-everyday-backpack-tote-and-sling

I dunno i just watched the video and now i want one!

Haha, I'm kidding, kinda. It does look like a sweet bag line. Geared towards photographers, which seems to be the kind of hobby that people will shell out big bucks for, even before they know if the hobby will stick.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5011 on: August 13, 2016, 01:29:17 PM »
Another half dozen colors to choose from please. ;)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5012 on: August 14, 2016, 09:32:14 AM »

It does look good and they have inserted a lot of ways to carry different items.
Problem is, I'd have to create the lifestyle to make use of it.
  Not sure I like it when the say, "We have no investors, no revenue goals"
They will have $2,792,891 of 11,858 peoples money, in a little more than 26 days.
That $2,792,891 will continue to increase during those 26 days.
 Congrats to them, their goal was $500,000 and will probably have $3,000,000
before it's over.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5013 on: August 14, 2016, 09:48:57 AM »
I'm all for making fun of things - but having worked as a professional cinematographer for the past few decades I can say that $200 for a well designed gear bag is not rare at all.  I'll grant that it's a waste of money for someone who doesn't need it, much like I would never think to spend hundreds of dollars on specially designed professional cycling gear.

But if you travel with equipment for a living that bag does seem well designed and very useful.  When you make a few thousand a day off your equipment, paying a couple of hundred dollars for a bag in which to carry it can be a sound purchase.  Granted, I would be willing to bet that the majority of those backing the project are not working photographic professionals.

That said, I won't be buying one because I already have a very reliable and well made backpack that I like quite a bit (and yes, it cost me $199.95... about 8 years ago).

« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 09:50:45 AM by MrDelane »

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5014 on: August 14, 2016, 11:08:25 AM »
The Facebook buy/sell group for my town is a gold-mine for stuff I could post to this site.  Here's one from today,

Someone posted this question

"WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET A LOAN TO BUY AN MOTORCYCLE?  The motorcycle is $800 and I can easily pay it off monthly :)"

I really hope this was a teenager..

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5015 on: August 14, 2016, 12:57:53 PM »
The Facebook buy/sell group for my town is a gold-mine for stuff I could post to this site.  Here's one from today,

"WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET A LOAN TO BUY AN MOTORCYCLE?  The motorcycle is $800 and I can easily pay it off monthly :)"

My instinct is that their grammar is awful. I think they are meaning to say that they need a loan for a motorcycle and they can easily pay back 800$ a month. I came to that conclusion simply because I'd never go near a 800$ motorcycle, let alone ride one.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5016 on: August 14, 2016, 01:22:42 PM »

My instinct is that their grammar is awful. I think they are meaning to say that they need a loan for a motorcycle and they can easily pay back 800$ a month. I came to that conclusion simply because I'd never go near a 800$ motorcycle, let alone ride one.

I've never paid more than $500 for a motorcycle...  My favorite one cost me $50.  My current one ran me $300.  Old Hondas are the best. :)

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5017 on: August 14, 2016, 01:25:50 PM »

Thats what i thought at first too, but no.  There are a bunch of commenters asking questions to the OP, and the OP confirmed $800 is the total cost of the bike.  ugh.

Reminds me of when i sold my old car 10 years or so ago (a 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo, asking $5600) and some dumb 18yo kid kept calling me about it insisting he was going to buy it, but needed me to meet at his bank so they could give him a loan for it.  I told him to fuck off until he had cash.  No bank in their right mind would give an 18yo a $5k loan to buy a 17 year old turbo import car, and even if they did there's no way he could afford the insurance/gas/maintenance on that thing.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #5018 on: August 14, 2016, 02:03:17 PM »
I'm all for making fun of things - but having worked as a professional cinematographer for the past few decades I can say that $200 for a well designed gear bag is not rare at all.  I'll grant that it's a waste of money for someone who doesn't need it, much like I would never think to spend hundreds of dollars on specially designed professional cycling gear.

IDK what she is planning to use it for, but I'm pretty sure it's just normal backpack things.  She is a secretary and a part time actor, not a photographer or anything like that.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5019 on: August 14, 2016, 02:08:59 PM »
Reminds me of when i sold my old car 10 years or so ago (a 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo, asking $5600) and some dumb 18yo kid kept calling me about it insisting he was going to buy it, but needed me to meet at his bank so they could give him a loan for it.  I told him to fuck off until he had cash.  No bank in their right mind would give an 18yo a $5k loan to buy a 17 year old turbo import car, and even if they did there's no way he could afford the insurance/gas/maintenance on that thing.

I sold my 1991 Supra Turbo to a 20 year old in the military who was able to get a $4300 loan from his bank.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5020 on: August 14, 2016, 07:02:31 PM »

I sold my 1991 Supra Turbo to a 20 year old in the military who was able to get a $4300 loan from his bank.

I guess being in the military helped with that, pretty sure the kid that wanted my car wouldn't have gotten the same respect at a bank. Anyway, even if he got the money, I wasn't keen on selling it to him, I baby my cars and got the feeling from him that it would have been wrapped around a tree within 3 weeks after he bought it.  Maybe 3 hours. 

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5021 on: August 14, 2016, 07:04:50 PM »

I guess being in the military helped with that, pretty sure the kid that wanted my car wouldn't have gotten the same respect at a bank. Anyway, even if he got the money, I wasn't keen on selling it to him, I baby my cars and got the feeling from him that it would have been wrapped around a tree within 3 weeks after he bought it.  Maybe 3 hours.

3 seconds if you would have had a tree at the end of your driveway.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5022 on: August 14, 2016, 07:16:57 PM »

3 seconds if you would have had a tree at the end of your driveway.

There was.  Good point.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #5023 on: August 14, 2016, 09:11:15 PM »

...making his subsequent failure the bank's problem, not yours xD

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5024 on: August 15, 2016, 07:11:43 AM »
...making his subsequent failure the bank's problem, not yours xD
True. Though I'd like to think it worked out fine for him. He did have access to a shop on base where he could work on the car for free. However, I think his insurance was pretty high...

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5025 on: August 15, 2016, 11:08:15 AM »

Maybe he just wanted a loan to build credit even though he could have paid in cash?

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5026 on: August 15, 2016, 07:10:39 PM »

Maybe he just wanted a loan to build credit even though he could have paid in cash?

You can get a secured credit card for building credit.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5027 on: August 15, 2016, 10:31:37 PM »

I don't think so, someone asked if the OP could get a loan from family instead of paying interest to a loan company, but the OP said family loan was out of the question because of family issues.  If they just wanted to build credit, they probably would have said that.  I think they really don't have the $800

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #5028 on: August 16, 2016, 01:25:56 PM »
What the renters don't realize, when they complain, is that not everyone is "like them".  You want to know why landlords don't rent to dog owners (it's getting increasingly difficult to find a place that will rent to people with pets)?  Because some renters let their dogs destroy the house.  You are coming up against a lot of really awful people who ruin it for everyone. 

Friends just got a second dog, a puppy, and plan in a few years to get a third, so when one of the dogs passes away, the other two won't be lonely.  I personally suspect it is more the wife's issue than the dogs', but they did post pics of the puppy on FB so qualify for this thread. 

Apparently they have a 1-dog clause in their rental lease for the house they are in, so I asked, and they didn't tell the landlord until they got the puppy, realizing they might have to find a new place on short notice if the landlord kicked them out.  Mind you, they had been on a waiting list for this dog for maybe a year or more, it is from a place run by monks, but they didn't look into housing options.  Fortunately (and wisely IMHO) the landlord is apparently going to just charge a bit more rent, they have been good tenants for years now, and I doubt the place will be any MORE trashed by a second dog than the first, they aren't anything like Grim Squeaker's people, they just aren't super meticulous about cleaning or organizing.  Personally I would have considered negotiating the rent in advance of getting the second dog, when they had a bit more leverage. . .

When DW and I were apartment hunting when we moved a few years back, one place the real estate agent showed us was a small house she owned, and she wouldn't even go in the finished basement because it smelled so badly of a cat which had "health issues".  She said she would replace the carpet if we rented, but no thanks. 

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #5029 on: August 16, 2016, 05:33:57 PM »
What the renters don't realize, when they complain, is that not everyone is "like them".  You want to know why landlords don't rent to dog owners (it's getting increasingly difficult to find a place that will rent to people with pets)?  Because some renters let their dogs destroy the house.  You are coming up against a lot of really awful people who ruin it for everyone. 
  Fortunately (and wisely IMHO) the landlord is apparently going to just charge a bit more rent, they have been good tenants for years now, and I doubt the place will be any MORE trashed by a second dog than the first, they aren't anything like Grim Squeaker's people, they just aren't super meticulous about cleaning or organizing. 

Why I do feel like this is going to be the measuring stick for all ridiculous tenants moving forward....

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5030 on: August 16, 2016, 06:20:29 PM »
  Fortunately (and wisely IMHO) the landlord is apparently going to just charge a bit more rent, they have been good tenants for years now, and I doubt the place will be any MORE trashed by a second dog than the first, they aren't anything like Grim Squeaker's people, they just aren't super meticulous about cleaning or organizing. 

Why I do feel like this is going to be the measuring stick for all ridiculous tenants moving forward....

Reminds me of a Smoot.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #5031 on: August 16, 2016, 07:22:54 PM »

Reminds me of a Smoot.

They aren't mine. If they were, I'd sell them for the value of what's left of their vital organs.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5032 on: August 16, 2016, 10:27:56 PM »

I'm pretty sure those people lived in our ex-rental. We've forever sworn off landlording.  They decided to change the rock garden into a fire pit, but at least they held of on the shower parkour.

Ms Terror

• Stubble
« Reply #5033 on: August 17, 2016, 10:02:16 PM »
I just saw something on FB that makes me worry so much about what other are even doing with their lives!
Someone who I know just posted this morning, word for word:

So starting next Weds I'll be without pay for 1.5 weeks as I ran out of leave when I was off for my broken ankle. Anything you can donate to my survival is appreciated!

1.5 weeks!!! How can you not survive for 1.5 weeks without a pay packet?!?! This is a sensible, smart early thirties female, who isn't (obviously, anyway) playing keep up with the Jones'! And to ask on FB. Sheesh.

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #5034 on: August 18, 2016, 11:48:28 AM »
I just saw something on FB that makes me worry so much about what other are even doing with their lives!

So starting next Weds I'll be without pay for 1.5 weeks as I ran out of leave when I was off for my broken ankle. Anything you can donate to my survival is appreciated!

1.5 weeks!!! How can you not survive for 1.5 weeks without a pay packet?!?! This is a sensible, smart early thirties female, who isn't (obviously, anyway) playing keep up with the Jones'! And to ask on FB. Sheesh.

I had a coworker complaining that he couldn't absorb the loss of pay during the government furlough a couple of years ago. Total time off: 4 days. His salary at the time: above $100k. I don't know if he complained about it or asked for help on FB though, so there's that...

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5035 on: August 18, 2016, 01:39:14 PM »

I had a coworker complaining that he couldn't absorb the loss of pay during the government furlough a couple of years ago. Total time off: 4 days. His salary at the time: above $100k. I don't know if he complained about it or asked for help on FB though, so there's that...

Not on FB, but related...A government worker told me she tried to get food stamps for the time she would be sequestered.  At the time, she didn't know how long it would be, but it ended up being 4 Fridays in a row.  Total.  After she told me she and her buddies couldn't get assistance, she told me she was putting in for retirement in the next year! 

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5036 on: August 18, 2016, 09:19:53 PM »

This is the embodiment of those surveys that say 95% of Americans don't have $1000 for an emergency. Let's assume a salary of 40K. 1.5 weeks of that is $1153 gross!

What's odd is that it sounds like any potential emergency is actually still a few weeks away. If she's on a typical 15th and last day of the month payday, then she just got a full paycheck 3 days ago. Then she worked this entire week and she'll work 2 days next week. So her next paycheck should still be decent.

Besides that though, I cannot imagine asking for donations on FB! That would be mortifying.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5037 on: August 19, 2016, 03:20:45 AM »
just saw this shared on fb, with someone asking if this was any good.

Its a $15 egg cooker... one person replied suggesting using a normal pot, but most people were saying she should buy a more expensive one to ensure the eggs are cooked better

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5038 on: August 19, 2016, 09:19:50 AM »

Its a $15 egg cooker... one person replied suggesting using a normal pot, but most people were saying she should buy a more expensive one to ensure the eggs are cooked better

In their defence, if this is something they do regularly and either they have only two burners or make a lot, a 'set and forget' device could be worth it.

Or maybe they are bad at it. I have hard-boiled eggs dozens of times but sometimes I just simply mess up.

But in your defence, people do have wayyyy too many kitchen devices.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5039 on: August 19, 2016, 09:52:40 AM »
We had a Cuisinart one of those, got it for a wedding present, likely a victim of me being overzealous with the "gun thing" while registering. It worked okay, but when we downsized to a smaller house it, ahem, did not make the move. It was good for times when you were having a party and making a lot of deviled eggs.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5040 on: August 19, 2016, 10:07:27 AM »

In their defence, if this is something they do regularly and either they have only two burners or make a lot, a 'set and forget' device could be worth it.

Or maybe they are bad at it. I have hard-boiled eggs dozens of times but sometimes I just simply mess up.

It took me years to find the perfect hardboiled egg method that peels every single time.  Steam them.  Boil water, put the eggs in the steam basket, steam for 12 minutes.  Done.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #5041 on: August 19, 2016, 11:05:33 AM »

I actually have one of these that my MIL got for us. We have chickens and fresh eggs will not peel like store-bought eggs do. That little egg cooker is the only thing I've found that will get them to peel correctly. I've tried all the usual tricks of salt or baking soda or whatever else in the boiling water.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #5042 on: August 19, 2016, 01:00:44 PM »
What Dinero says - it's straight from Alton Brown Food Network Good Eats.

Super easy peeling every time.

It took me years to find the perfect hardboiled egg method that peels every single time.  Steam them.  Boil water, put the eggs in the steam basket, steam for 12 minutes.  Done.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5043 on: August 19, 2016, 01:18:59 PM »
What Dinero says - it's straight from Alton Brown Food Network Good Eats.

Super easy peeling every time.

So the next logical question is, how does it make such perfect eggs, and how can we get that effect for cheaper?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5044 on: August 19, 2016, 01:24:21 PM »
Q:
So the next logical question is, how does it make such perfect eggs, and how can we get that effect for cheaper?

A:

I used to do the Julia Child method, and it's terrible for peeling. The key is to cook them quickly (put them in hot steam or boiling water) and not slowly (start in cold water).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5045 on: August 19, 2016, 02:35:13 PM »
Yes, I learned the steaming thing a few months ago and want to know:  WHY DIDN'T I LEARN THIS 30 YEARS AGO, AND WHY ISN'T THIS COMMON KNOWLEDGE.

Seriously, it works so well.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5046 on: August 19, 2016, 03:29:07 PM »
I just learned this today. Here. I'm boiling an egg for dinner tonight dang it!

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5047 on: August 19, 2016, 04:21:05 PM »
It's 12.20 am here in Italy and now I feel the urge to steam an egg

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5048 on: August 19, 2016, 05:23:03 PM »
Yes, I learned the steaming thing a few months ago and want to know:  WHY DIDN'T I LEARN THIS 30 YEARS AGO, AND WHY ISN'T THIS COMMON KNOWLEDGE.

Seriously, it works so well.

I'm going to try this sometime.

12 minutes seems awfully precise. BUT MAKE IT SO

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5049 on: August 19, 2016, 06:34:58 PM »
Instant Pot FTW!

Plus, you can cook both potatoes and hard cook eggs at the same time for potato salad. I've only done it once so far, but the eggs peeled very easily.