Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 2160480 times)

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #4900 on: July 22, 2016, 05:24:21 PM »

Also good: do a bleach or vinegar rinse every so often (and a second rinse to remove all bleach so it doesn't wreck your clothes). Scrub the rubber gasket around the edges. And, most important (and easily forgotten): EMPTY THE LINT TRAP OF THE WASHER. Most people don't, and it's where a lot of the smell comes from.

Barring that: front loaders suck and I HIGHLY regret our decision to have one. Thank god we got it on sale (1100 for washer AND dryer) years ago... when it gives out, top-loading machine for us.

I have a feeling I'm going to feel foolish...but what is a washer lint trap? I'm only aware of the one for the dryer

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4901 on: July 22, 2016, 07:37:44 PM »

Also good: do a bleach or vinegar rinse every so often (and a second rinse to remove all bleach so it doesn't wreck your clothes). Scrub the rubber gasket around the edges. And, most important (and easily forgotten): EMPTY THE LINT TRAP OF THE WASHER. Most people don't, and it's where a lot of the smell comes from.

Barring that: front loaders suck and I HIGHLY regret our decision to have one. Thank god we got it on sale (1100 for washer AND dryer) years ago... when it gives out, top-loading machine for us.

I have a feeling I'm going to feel foolish...but what is a washer lint trap? I'm only aware of the one for the dryer

A metal mesh sock that you put over the washing machine discharge to trap lint.  Looks like this:

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4902 on: July 22, 2016, 07:42:47 PM »

On our Samsung washer, under the front door and to the left, there's a little door (look at the image here for illustration: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-4-2-cu-ft-8-cycle-high-efficiency-front-loading-washer-white/3452002.p?skuId=3452002) Open it, unscrew what basically looks like a mesh/cheese grater cylinder, and wash the rotting soggy lint out of it. Thoroughly disgusting. Our manual says to do that every 6 months; most people don't know it exists.

That plus scrubbing the rubber gasket that's around the door to the machine Daly with the machine being smelly, but we do leave the door open now to stop it from happening again.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4903 on: July 22, 2016, 09:05:39 PM »
And, most important (and easily forgotten): EMPTY THE LINT TRAP OF THE WASHER. Most people don't, and it's where a lot of the smell comes from.

On our Samsung washer, under the front door and to the left, there's a little door . . . . Open it, unscrew what basically looks like a mesh/cheese grater cylinder, and wash the rotting soggy lint out of it. Thoroughly disgusting. Our manual says to do that every 6 months; most people don't know it exists.

I had never heard of the washer's lint trap before, but Kitsune's description for cleaning it didn't sound all that hard, so tonight I went off to DIY on this thing.

Please learn from my experience.  To start, this thing inside the little door is not actually called the lint trap; it is called the drain pump.  I did not realize that until I started opening it and a whole bunch of water started pouring out.  Closed it up and then found the owner's manual.  It turns out that you are supposed to slowly drain all the water into a pan, dump it out, and repeat until all the water has been drained -- which, on my model, could be up to 4.4 gallons!  Okay, once you realize that tons-of-water step in the process, the cleaning step is easy.

Thanks, Kitsune, for teaching me something new, even though it meant I had a serious Lucille Ball moment on my hands!  :-)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 09:18:40 PM by LeRainDrop »

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4904 on: July 23, 2016, 04:27:48 AM »
Yeah, I got water all over the place the first time I did it too. The little drain tube takes a while, but it is the better way...

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4905 on: July 23, 2016, 06:20:28 AM »
Facebook feed a few days ago... lovely young couple I know posted up their brand new high end car. (I won't be specific or nasty because they're otherwise nice people).

Very long list of likes and people saying congratulations... interesting how many others wanted one too...

markpst

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4906 on: July 23, 2016, 07:25:30 AM »
A friend of a friend chimed in on a Facebook post/discussion about which internet service to use (in Cincinnati, there really are only two players, Time Warner Cable and Cincinnati Bell):

We actually have BOTH TWC and CB!!! We are hoarders of ISPs!!! We switched over to TWC about a year ago for multiple reasons. Intended to stop the CB Internet and landline, but have not gotten around to it because we barely get our jobs done every day. TWC is Much faster internet than CB. Have had no problems with TWC internet. We pay a ridiculous amount for each.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4907 on: July 23, 2016, 07:45:23 AM »

On our Samsung washer, under the front door and to the left, there's a little door (look at the image here for illustration: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-4-2-cu-ft-8-cycle-high-efficiency-front-loading-washer-white/3452002.p?skuId=3452002) Open it, unscrew what basically looks like a mesh/cheese grater cylinder, and wash the rotting soggy lint out of it. Thoroughly disgusting. Our manual says to do that every 6 months; most people don't know it exists.

That plus scrubbing the rubber gasket that's around the door to the machine Daly with the machine being smelly, but we do leave the door open now to stop it from happening again.

Wow. That sounds like waaay too much work. And there's a chance some water will leak out? No way! I'm just going to buy a new one. My town also has a service where they will haul away the old one from 2011 for only $75.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4908 on: July 23, 2016, 07:57:24 AM »

Wow. That sounds like waaay too much work. And there's a chance some water will leak out? No way! I'm just going to buy a new one. My town also has a service where they will haul away the old one from 2011 for only $75.

Shit, better get two in case one breaks and you have to live without a washing machine. Probably gonna need a bigger house too.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4909 on: July 23, 2016, 08:12:26 AM »
Sorry I didn't clarify. That one is my second washer. We have one upstairs and downstairs. It's super convenient not to have to carry things up and down. This way we can wash all our clothes upstairs and use the downstairs set to do beach towels from our pool, dish clothes, etc. We also restrict our maid and au pair to only using the downstairs machine...it just seems kind of gross and too personal for someone else to use the same machine we wash our unmentionables in.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4910 on: July 23, 2016, 08:38:14 AM »
My mistake, so sorry to have suggested that you'd ever let the maid near your personal washing machine.

Travis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4911 on: July 23, 2016, 10:39:07 AM »
Didn't even try to diagnose the problem. Granted, the appliances she had were used when she got them, but the dryer is fine, yet they replaced it, too, so the appliances matched. *facepalm*

Every now and then I'll see quick discussions on FB about someone wanting to buy a new replacement and someone offhandedly asks about repair. Usually the person needing the replacement/fix says "I just don't want to bother with it."  Rarely does the person say "I priced out the repair and it's not worth it."  If it wasn't for the geographic distance between us I'd jump on that every time and say "If you're just going to toss it I'll buy it off you."  Quite often repairing an appliance that isn't TOO old is worth it if you're patient enough to get it fixed and Craigslist it for the right price.  I did this recently with my sister's law firm furniture.  They had a storage rental space packed with older but still in decent condition law office desks and bookshelves.  The space was supposed to be for files and they needed the space for more paperwork.  Their original plan was to send it all to the dump.  They would have been looking at a few hundred dollars worth of dump fees and it would have been a waste of quality furniture.  I offered to Craigslist it for a couple months for a cut of the profit and either sold 3/4s of it or other employees just took it home.
My Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/will-i-or-won't-i-a-home-run-or-a-base-hit/

Unlike some other tech companies or skilled-labor industries, we're always hiring.

www.goarmy.com

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4912 on: July 24, 2016, 06:10:47 AM »
Not Facebook but I had to post it somewhere.

I asked my mum for gift ideas for my nephew's upcoming birthday and she suggested a particular insulated drink bottle for him to take to daycare.

Pricing it online, one website has the following option:

Make four interest-free payments of $4.24 fortnightly and receive your order now

Apart from the question of who the hell needs to make payments on a $16.95 drink bottle, who has that kind of time? My goal is to streamline purchases like this, not increase the number of transactions involved.

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4913 on: July 24, 2016, 07:23:45 AM »
Yep, if you don't have $16.95 you shouldn't be spending more than all your money on a drinks bottle.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4914 on: July 24, 2016, 07:30:45 AM »
Yep, if you don't have $16.95 you shouldn't be spending more than all your money on a drinks bottle.
You'd be surprised how many parents that want their kids to 'have only the best' would disagree with you. #nothingbutthebestforkid

Mesmoiselle

• Stubble
« Reply #4915 on: July 24, 2016, 11:02:45 AM »
Not Facebook but I had to post it somewhere.

I asked my mum for gift ideas for my nephew's upcoming birthday and she suggested a particular insulated drink bottle for him to take to daycare.

Pricing it online, one website has the following option:

Make four interest-free payments of $4.24 fortnightly and receive your order now

Apart from the question of who the hell needs to make payments on a $16.95 drink bottle, who has that kind of time? My goal is to streamline purchases like this, not increase the number of transactions involved.

Maybe the website has auto programming for offering payment plans regardless of price of item.

At least, I hope so....
I'm a travel Ultrasound Technician. And if I don't manage to burn out, I can FI in 5 years. I am DROWNING IN LUXURY. Learning to swim instead of drown.

Making Cookies

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4916 on: July 25, 2016, 08:57:16 AM »
We actually have BOTH TWC and CB!!! We are hoarders of ISPs!!! We switched over to TWC about a year ago for multiple reasons. Intended to stop the CB Internet and landline, but have not gotten around to it because we barely get our jobs done every day. TWC is Much faster internet than CB. Have had no problems with TWC internet. We pay a ridiculous amount for each.

I envisioned the wireless internet delivered by Citizen's Band radio. Channel 19 gets you Topix forum discussions. Channel 7 gets you discussions about police activity...

Would it be faster or slower than a 56K modem? ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 09:00:41 AM by Mybigtoe »

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #4917 on: July 25, 2016, 05:51:26 PM »
Not facebook but today somebody on Reddit was wrong.

Stranger A: I had to get a car when I got a house, I didn't have one before but house living just requires one.
Me: I moved CLOSER to the city when I bought my house and then I sold my car.  Would recommend.
Other Strangers: where is this mythical place?
Me: My house was less than 200k in St Paul, but any neighborhood that is slightly worse than yours, or a house that is smaller, or needs more work, but is closer will work.  Here is an example of a house near me: *redfin link*
Stranger who is wrong on the internet: That house needs at least 40k in new windows, you would waste so much heating a 1911 house that the savings isn't even worth it.  So much for your made up awesome house.

My house was built in 1914, has old windows, and all our heat and electricity is always under 150.  Wonder how long those 40k in REQUIRED updates would take to pay off?  Also our neighborhood has houses that are redone top to bottom for 200k.

I told him if he wants to live in a suburban palace with a long commute he is welcome to do so, but it's only him holding him back, not that all affordable city housing is uninhabitable.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4918 on: July 25, 2016, 06:36:44 PM »

Stranger A: I had to get a car when I got a house, I didn't have one before but house living just requires one.
Me: I moved CLOSER to the city when I bought my house and then I sold my car.  Would recommend.
Me: My house was less than 200k in St Paul, but any neighborhood that is slightly worse than yours, or a house that is smaller, or needs more work, but is closer will work.  Here is an example of a house near me: *redfin link*
Stranger who is wrong on the internet: That house needs at least 40k in new windows, you would waste so much heating a 1911 house that the savings isn't even worth it.  So much for your made up awesome house.

My house was built in 1914, has old windows, and all our heat and electricity is always under 150.  Wonder how long those 40k in REQUIRED updates would take to pay off?  Also our neighborhood has houses that are redone top to bottom for 200k.

I told him if he wants to live in a suburban palace with a long commute he is welcome to do so, but it's only him holding him back, not that all affordable city housing is uninhabitable.

LOL, I think I saw that thread, close but not verbatim.  Don't you hate it when people on the internet are WRONG?

P.S. took a look at the redfin link.  That house needs at least $300k in new door handles
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 06:48:09 PM by dragoncar »

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4919 on: July 25, 2016, 06:51:21 PM »

LOL, I think I saw that thread, close but not verbatim.  Don't you hate it when people on the internet are WRONG?

P.S. took a look at the redfin link.  That house needs at least $300k in new door handles

https://xkcd.com/386/

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4920 on: July 26, 2016, 07:04:07 AM »

https://xkcd.com/386/

Beat me to it...

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #4921 on: July 26, 2016, 11:27:08 AM »

Yeah, direct quotes would have been too wordy.

It also requires another 700k in buying the lot next door to demo and then replacing the house with an entirely new 4000 sq.ft. house.  City living just isn't affordable these days.

Undefined

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4922 on: July 26, 2016, 05:43:26 PM »
On my facebook feed:

"I paid off my car loan today AND I'm celebrating by getting a nicer, newer car. I'm such an adult."

Well, the first half was laudable...

The Guru

• Stubble
« Reply #4923 on: July 26, 2016, 06:22:53 PM »
On my facebook feed:

"I paid off my car loan today AND I'm celebrating by getting a nicer, newer car. I'm such an adult.idiot"

Well, the first half was laudable...

Fixed.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4924 on: July 27, 2016, 04:56:14 AM »
If your appliances are, say, in the middle of your kitchen (mine were, at my last apartment), I can understand caring about the aesthetics of it. So you either get matching ones that are 'nice-looking', or you build a cupboard to put them in to hide them, or put them behind a curtain or something.

If they're in the basement or laundry closet, like in most houses? Seriously, you only see them when they're supposed to be functional. As long as they're functional, WHO CARES?

Yea i don't  get it either. Along those same lines I have a friend who owns an HVAC company. Our water heater was starting to leak and it was only a matter of time before it quit on us so I asked hime to source a new one for me. He found a new fancy on demand one his supplier wanted to get rid of because it has a scratch on the front of it. I got a couple hundred off due to the scratch. Do people seriously need their water heaters to look nice? Mine sits in a little mechanical room in my basement that I see once a month when I change the filter furnace.
There are two types of people in this world. Those who think they can and those who think they can't. They are both right. - Henry ford

Making Cookies

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4925 on: July 27, 2016, 08:04:06 AM »
Its a great way to buy appliances. Our fridge has a small dent down low that the cabinet beside it hides. Took several hundred dollars off of the price.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4926 on: July 27, 2016, 09:18:09 AM »
Do people seriously need their water heaters to look nice? Mine sits in a little mechanical room in my basement that I see once a month when I change the filter furnace.

It isn't about looking nice. I imagine too many consumers want assurance that the part or appliance they are receiving is fully-functional. So anything that comes with a noticeable scratch or dent in it loses a lot of value in the consumer's eye because they think it might be a lemon.

kina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • formerly JustJane
« Reply #4927 on: July 27, 2016, 11:37:16 AM »
Many (most? all?) water heaters are glass-lined. A significant dent might give me pause.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4928 on: July 27, 2016, 04:43:18 PM »
Many (most? all?) water heaters are glass-lined. A significant dent might give me pause.
I agree however this was a tankless water heater and its scratched like somebody got a little too carried away with the box cutter opening it or something.
There are two types of people in this world. Those who think they can and those who think they can't. They are both right. - Henry ford

moof

• Bristles
« Reply #4929 on: July 27, 2016, 06:01:43 PM »
None that I have seen.  All the ones I have come across are a steel tank, urethane foam insulation, then a thin steel shell.  Maybe I am missing something?

Making Cookies

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4930 on: July 28, 2016, 07:35:39 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ofSyXUW0TY

There is the process but likely different for fancier water heaters.

runningthroughFIRE

• Bristles
  • Ask for broader shoulders.
« Reply #4931 on: July 29, 2016, 08:30:17 AM »
*Photo of new 2016 Jeep Wrangler*
"Carla the Saturn.  It's bee real and it's been fun, but let's be honest it hasn't been real fun.  You have weathered the storms with me, and have always been there for the late night trips to [city 150 miles away] and the early commutes to work.  I miss you already, but I'm ready for your upgrade.  If anyone needs me I'll be working overtime to make these payments.  #JeepSquad"

Posted by a single woman I know from highschool making maybe ~25K working at Target. All of the comments are praising her for her upgrade, and saying she deserves it.  Her old car wasn't anything fancy, sure, but it got reasonable mileage, was paid off, and had almost nothing functionally wrong with it.

tomatops

• Stubble
« Reply #4932 on: July 29, 2016, 08:48:08 AM »
A former classmate on FB posted this article with the comment: "This guy is my hero!"

http://torontolife.com/city/life/spend-generation-manifesto/

He also does not mention he is currently unemployed and living at home, yet, for whatever reason, every day there is an Instagrammed shot of the latest Starbucks machiato, images of him flying first class to Europe "for the weekend", and dining at expensive restaurants.

He did not win the lottery. His past job was not particularly high-paying.

He then wrote a post about how he was enjoying "early retirement", which I don't think he understands fully what that ought to entail...

And the saddest part: he gets TONS of likes on FB that validate his expenses.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4933 on: July 29, 2016, 10:34:13 AM »

BDWW

• Bristles
« Reply #4934 on: July 29, 2016, 01:06:42 PM »
None that I have seen*.  All the ones I have come across are a steel tank, urethane foam insulation, then a thin steel shell.  Maybe I am missing something?

Most lower-midgrade water heaters are made from non-stainless steel. They are glass/enamel lined to prevent corrosion in the tank. Some expensive/high end tank heaters are made with stainless steel, but they're pretty rare. *You must not have looked inside the actual steel tank.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4935 on: July 29, 2016, 01:11:06 PM »

Now if only he can monetize this!

This also reminds me of a story I once heard. Two colleagues hate their job and their boss, one is a man and the other is a women. The man fancies the women. One day the man decides to quit and makes a scene about it and could tell that his colleague is impressed. As he's packing up his things he asks her out, she looks at him and says, "No, you're unemployed!"

Moral of the story, someone may applaud you for something while knowing that you are a fucking dumbass for doing it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:54:43 PM by MgoSam »

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #4936 on: July 29, 2016, 01:47:15 PM »
I don't have a FB account; cold turkey quit 2 years ago. Recently I was helping my dad with his FB account regarding the constantly changing privacy and notification options. I told him that I noticed his FB wall/feed/whatchamacallit was full of sad stories or brag stories, nothing truly of substance. He said because it is human nature to make fun of other's plight while clapping for the braggadocios, and that hardly anyone posts a positive story.

I thought about that and realized it is shame stories that bring eyeballs to FB; that's how FB monetizes, by matching advertisements to the feed content. No wonder it is a cesspool of human nature with ads for retail therapy.

My current FB is my face 1 ft away from a dog-eared book (Ellison's Paingod).
If I genuinely enjoy my profession and workplace, is there a reason to FIRE? Keep Calm and Carry On Milking.

MrRealEstate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4937 on: July 30, 2016, 02:41:23 AM »
A former classmate on FB posted this article with the comment: "This guy is my hero!"

He also does not mention he is currently unemployed and living at home, yet, for whatever reason, every day there is an Instagrammed shot of the latest Starbucks machiato, images of him flying first class to Europe "for the weekend", and dining at expensive restaurants.

He then wrote a post about how he was enjoying "early retirement", which I don't think he understands fully what that ought to entail...

It really isn't 100% his fault. His parents are letting their 31 and 33 year old sons live at home for free and the mom does all the house work... Also isn't really a shocker that he's single.

I know if I hadn't found a place after a year or two out of college my parents would have started charging me rent.

Some people just don't have any urge to be self-reliant.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #4938 on: July 30, 2016, 06:09:37 AM »

Sounds like he doesn't have to punch a clock and is spending his money consciously on things that bring joy to his life. How is that not early retirement?  Winning the lottery or having a super high-paying job is not a requirement for FIRE. Just some straight-up badassity.
http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/
Give me one fine day of plain sailing weather and I can mess up anything.

MustacheMathTM

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4939 on: July 30, 2016, 01:28:10 PM »

Sounds like he doesn't have to punch a clock and is spending his money consciously on things that bring joy to his life. How is that not early retirement?  Winning the lottery or having a super high-paying job is not a requirement for FIRE. Just some straight-up badassity.
i

His entire strategy is based on mooching off his parents. You're only retired if it's your own money. I know they don't give him actual money, but free rent, food and laundry services has a financial value.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4940 on: August 01, 2016, 12:51:05 AM »

i

His entire strategy is based on mooching off his parents. You're only retired if it's your own money. I know they don't give him actual money, but free rent, food and laundry services has a financial value.

It's more than just the money saved by not moving out though...  his parents continue to allow him to have immature behaviours and not the opportunity to take care of himself. 

I do think that if he were renting (maybe a shared apartment with a cousin), that he would still spend all his money....   so the key difference is having bills to pay, and living / accomodation  / decisions to make.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4941 on: August 01, 2016, 05:48:36 AM »

I'm assuming sarcasm, but I don't think we need the Internet Retirement Police to point out that the FIRE acronym stands for Financially Independent, Retiring Early. Some deadbeat that can't support himself spending what little money he has on frivolous expenditures is not FIRE

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4942 on: August 01, 2016, 06:41:46 AM »
If your appliances are, say, in the middle of your kitchen (mine were, at my last apartment), I can understand caring about the aesthetics of it. So you either get matching ones that are 'nice-looking', or you build a cupboard to put them in to hide them, or put them behind a curtain or something.

If they're in the basement or laundry closet, like in most houses? Seriously, you only see them when they're supposed to be functional. As long as they're functional, WHO CARES?

Yea i don't  get it either. Along those same lines I have a friend who owns an HVAC company. Our water heater was starting to leak and it was only a matter of time before it quit on us so I asked hime to source a new one for me. He found a new fancy on demand one his supplier wanted to get rid of because it has a scratch on the front of it. I got a couple hundred off due to the scratch. Do people seriously need their water heaters to look nice? Mine sits in a little mechanical room in my basement that I see once a month when I change the filter furnace.

I guess I don't get the problem.  I don't need my water heater to look perfect, and I'd be happy to pay a discounted price for something with superficial damage, but if I'm paying full price I don't want any cosmetic damage.  So are you saying everyone should buy scratch and dent?  Because obviously that's not possible.  Are you wondering why more people don't seek scratch and dent out?  I dunno, I'm not even sure where to shop for a S&D water heater; last one I bought was off the shelf at Home Depot.
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

MrRealEstate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4943 on: August 01, 2016, 06:58:31 AM »
I dunno, I'm not even sure where to shop for a S&D water heater; last one I bought was off the shelf at Home Depot.

I use openboxdirect.com for any appliances for my rentals. Sometimes they come pretty dinged up, but if they're metal you can usually disassemble them and straighten them out and then reassemble.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4944 on: August 01, 2016, 11:50:27 AM »
Mustachian/ not mustachian.  My college buddies just bought a new Mazda CX-9, pics on facebook.  They replaced their 1999 Accord, so I really can't give them a lot of crap.  I'm impressed!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4945 on: August 01, 2016, 12:05:02 PM »
Mustachian/ not mustachian.  My college buddies just bought a new Mazda CX-9, pics on facebook.  They replaced their 1999 Accord, so I really can't give them a lot of crap.  I'm impressed!

My grandfather did something similar, though his was a 1983 Volvo that he got rid of in 2008 for an Audi A6.

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #4946 on: August 01, 2016, 12:13:09 PM »

My grandfather did something similar, though his was a 1983 Volvo that he got rid of in 2008 for an Audi A6.
Did he have a Turbo Brick? Bet that A6 won't last 25 years.
(I'm looking for a local decent condition 200 series, doesn't matter if it is coupe, sedan or wagon.)
If I genuinely enjoy my profession and workplace, is there a reason to FIRE? Keep Calm and Carry On Milking.

bebegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Sleepless in
« Reply #4947 on: August 01, 2016, 12:14:47 PM »
One more from FB for you:

A guy is posting asking people's advise where to find attorney to go back to small dealership where he purchased a car 3 month ago for..30,000 USD! The car is broken now. It needs... a new engine. So far they paid off 12K. Repair costs $8,700.

Turned out the car had structural damage and was repaired using low level technique or something so that insurance will not pay for anything.

Anyway, the guy is in trouble. But I am wondering, who buys used cars for 30K?!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4948 on: August 01, 2016, 01:52:38 PM »

Did he have a Turbo Brick? Bet that A6 won't last 25 years.
(I'm looking for a local decent condition 200 series, doesn't matter if it is coupe, sedan or wagon.)

Yep. Volvo 200 series turbo. He put like 500k miles on that thing. Being in his mid 80s, I don't think the A6 needs to be as awesome as that Volvo.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4949 on: August 01, 2016, 02:18:55 PM »
One more from FB for you:

A guy is posting asking people's advise where to find attorney to go back to small dealership where he purchased a car 3 month ago for..30,000 USD! The car is broken now. It needs... a new engine. So far they paid off 12K. Repair costs $8,700.

Turned out the car had structural damage and was repaired using low level technique or something so that insurance will not pay for anything.

Anyway, the guy is in trouble. But I am wondering, who buys used cars for 30K?!

Plenty of people, depending on what it is.  Hell, plenty of MMMers think you should do so if you want, say, a Mercedes S-class.  But plenty of people buy used sports cars and the like for $30k, because they were usually babied and rarely driven so they can be a bargain.  Clearly not this one though.
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason