Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081997 times)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #4750 on: July 18, 2016, 09:59:43 AM »
I posted a picture of a sports car that was borrowed  to me for a few weeks parked in the driveway of my house. I can only imagine what everyone thought a jobless wonder was doing with a mid five-figure vehicle...  So appearances can be misleading.

Are you from the Upper Midwest?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4751 on: July 18, 2016, 10:00:00 AM »
Oh god this is like when my brother quits his job because 'he's not happy there'. Or my SIL refuses to go find a job because 'I don't think I'd like it'. Like, I don't fucking work for my health, and I've stayed in jobs that made me unhappy while actively working to find one that would make me less so, because I have responsibilities to meet and I don't want to drain my savings/mooch from my family while I find something that makes ME happy (and thus stick my family with staying in jobs that don't make THEM happy to benefit ME...). In other words: if you're hustling and need help, I'll see what I can do. If you're watching vintage Dr Who in the basement all day and asking for cash, try another sucker.

If you have the funds to supply your own needs, don't work, sure. Mustachianism yay! But if you're begging for cash from everyone you know, then... maybe do something you don't like, get on your feet, and move on to something better from there.

YES!!!  Would you believe that every boss my brother ever had in his teens and 20's was an "asshole," and so he was right to tell off each of them, quit the job, and take several months on break, mooching off mom and dad, before looking for a new job?

Well, they were obviously such assholes that he "deserved" the break, right?

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4752 on: July 18, 2016, 10:15:24 AM »
[quote author=LeRainDrop link=topic=6907.msg1156415#msg1156415
YES!!!  Would you believe that every boss my brother ever had in his teens and 20's was an "asshole," and so he was right to tell off each of them, quit the job, and take several months on break, mooching off mom and dad, before looking for a new job?
[/quote]

Are we related?  My brother does this all the time, even now in his 40's.  My parents did cut off the mooching.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4753 on: July 18, 2016, 10:28:20 AM »
This sounds like the guy I knew that had confrontation troubles everywhere he went. Then I spent some more time with him and realized that he was his own biggest problem. They just can't see it. I have no idea why.

frugalamber

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4754 on: July 18, 2016, 10:43:36 AM »
I have a overhead: one of the moms in my mom group is studying; and her husband is out of job. She is always short on money and was telling us 3 days back how they manage with food bank and putting the mortgage on hold etc; last night another mom asked about Disney world trip and this short on money mom with 2 kids - 3.5 -4 years old and 1.5 years old kids - was telling her how they booked a full family trip with dining plans in disney as they are so good and food is costly. She also informed the rest that for dining plans with disney u need to stay in disney resorts.

My hubby suggested to post a link of MMM in that fb post; but i am sure the ladies there will be offended as i see it is a very obvious that most spend more than they earn.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #4755 on: July 18, 2016, 10:48:37 AM »
Oh god this is like when my brother quits his job because 'he's not happy there'. Or my SIL refuses to go find a job because 'I don't think I'd like it'. Like, I don't fucking work for my health, and I've stayed in jobs that made me unhappy while actively working to find one that would make me less so, because I have responsibilities to meet and I don't want to drain my savings/mooch from my family while I find something that makes ME happy (and thus stick my family with staying in jobs that don't make THEM happy to benefit ME...). In other words: if you're hustling and need help, I'll see what I can do. If you're watching vintage Dr Who in the basement all day and asking for cash, try another sucker.

If you have the funds to supply your own needs, don't work, sure. Mustachianism yay! But if you're begging for cash from everyone you know, then... maybe do something you don't like, get on your feet, and move on to something better from there.

My brother too, only his issues have continued well into his 30's. No matter what employment situation he's ever had (which generally ends when he gets drunk and tells his boss what he thinks of him), my dad in particular has gone to bat for his Poor Abused Son Who Just Can't Catch A Break. Sometimes it involved pulling strings to get him (another) job. Other times it involved calling in for him or dropping in on his employer to explain why my brother was Too Sick (after a weekend binge) to come to work, or why he Really Deserved Another Chance.

In reality, my brother's his own worst enemy. He and I once had the same employer, and although the job had its challenges the boss wasn't one of them.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4756 on: July 18, 2016, 10:56:11 AM »
This sounds like the guy I knew that had confrontation troubles everywhere he went. Then I spent some more time with him and realized that he was his own biggest problem. They just can't see it. I have no idea why.

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole." -Raylan Givens

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4757 on: July 18, 2016, 11:26:54 AM »

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole." -Raylan Givens

+1  I love this quote.  It made me LOL! Thanks. 

Lunasol

• Bristles
« Reply #4758 on: July 18, 2016, 11:33:02 AM »
I have a overhead: one of the moms in my mom group is studying; and her husband is out of job. She is always short on money and was telling us 3 days back how they manage with food bank and putting the mortgage on hold etc; last night another mom asked about Disney world trip and this short on money mom with 2 kids - 3.5 -4 years old and 1.5 years old kids - was telling her how they booked a full family trip with dining plans in disney as they are so good and food is costly. She also informed the rest that for dining plans with disney u need to stay in disney resorts.

My hubby suggested to post a link of MMM in that fb post; but i am sure the ladies there will be offended as i see it is a very obvious that most spend more than they earn.

Was it a future trip or a past trip from when the husband had a job?

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4759 on: July 18, 2016, 12:41:11 PM »

Psh, only in his 20's was every boss an asshole?  Let me introduce you to my brother, 45, living with my mother, and hasn't been at a single job IN HIS LIFE for 2 years or more.  Usually he either gets fired for physical anger issues, or tells off his boss because "they weren't doing things the right way", which generally leads to a firing.  The longest in the past 10 years was a year at a job.  Usually he's there until he has enough time to collect unemployment again.  He's never wrong, everyone else is an asshole etc etc. 

In fairness he lived on his own from 18-35, usually got kicked out of apartments for non payment, parents helped him buy a place with his ex (gifted him the deposit), it ended up being sold to a junker in the divorce/bankruptcy/forclosure, they had TRASHED the house beyond even a flippers ability to want to repair at the height of the market. 

Had a harsh heart to heart with mom that she HAS to at least get a renters agreement from him (I'm executor of her estate) and that he needs to oh I dunno, ACTUALLY start paying some bills around the house. 

The ex was no gem either, her daughter found out when she went to apply for an apartment lease that mommy dearest had stolen her identity and racked up 60k in credit card debt in her name.  My niece refused to file a police report but it makes me SUPER happy that I told her no when she asked me to cosign her college loans.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4760 on: July 18, 2016, 05:19:35 PM »

This is basically my self-applied litmus test for knowing when I have PMS. "Damnit, what is WRONG with everyone today, it's like EVERYONE I meet is a.... ooooooooooh. Right."

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4761 on: July 18, 2016, 06:30:40 PM »

This is basically my self-applied litmus test for knowing when I have PMS. "Damnit, what is WRONG with everyone today, it's like EVERYONE I meet is a.... ooooooooooh. Right."

ha me too.  And that's when I realize maybe I should just hide in my office and avoid all meetings.  And eat ALL the chocolate and drink ALL the wine.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4762 on: July 18, 2016, 07:12:26 PM »

Word in our apartment building is that we're drug dealers.

Not sure if that makes you more or less safe... Will probably keep the trick-or-treaters away at any rate. :D

I don't think the price of all of the privately owned vehicles I've driven in my life would total 1.5 million USD...

It'd be pretty easy for me to have hit 1.5 million USD given how much large machinery/equipment I've driven, even if just for a bit.

Doesn't take very many to hit 1.5M in that case ;-)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4763 on: July 18, 2016, 07:31:46 PM »

Not sure if that makes you more or less safe... Will probably keep the trick-or-treaters away at any rate. :D

I don't think the price of all of the privately owned vehicles I've driven in my life would total 1.5 million USD...

It'd be pretty easy for me to have hit 1.5 million USD given how much large machinery/equipment I've driven, even if just for a bit.

Can we count airplanes too?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4764 on: July 18, 2016, 07:36:36 PM »

Only if you've driven them. ;)

frugalamber

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4765 on: July 18, 2016, 08:35:42 PM »

Was it a future trip or a past trip from when the husband had a job?

Future trip in coming November.

nr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4766 on: July 18, 2016, 09:30:27 PM »
I've found another gem!  Now, finally, you can wear the watches you never thought you could afford!  Rent a watch for 3 months and return it for another!

Up to $799/month to RENT watches...

https://www.elevenjames.com/pricing

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4767 on: July 18, 2016, 09:36:37 PM »
I've found another gem!  Now, finally, you can wear the watches you never thought you could afford!  Rent a watch for 3 months and return it for another!

What a bargain!  /s/

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4768 on: July 18, 2016, 10:08:54 PM »

What a bargain!  /s/

It's a pretty brilliant business idea, but at $12k/year (including insurance) I'd rather just buy my own Patek.  I've had my eye on a simple white gold Calatrava for a while now, and it's only $20k (ish)*.  I guess this is for people who want a variety/something new every month.

*one time I got a bonus that would have made this dream a reality, but I decided to get a much cheaper brand first.  Turns out I don't wear enough to keep it wound because I don't want to damage it biking, etc.  So sadly I won't be getting any more fancy watches.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 10:11:49 PM by dragoncar »

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4769 on: July 18, 2016, 11:12:15 PM »
Or - what I tell some people with that itch for a new car - get whatever you already owned detailed and see if that renews the love a little.  If nothing else it might bring more money if they sell it.

I've done this a number of times, and it always works great.  It helps that I take care of my cars and keep them from falling apart.  20 years out of college, and I just moved on to my third post-college car.  Washing, vacuuming, and a little Armor-All and Windex and elbow grease can knock out "old car woe" for a very long time.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4770 on: July 19, 2016, 05:55:43 AM »
That said, I grew up eating the crappy bread and not appreciating it, during the 4th I was over at my friend's family's house and they had a loaf of toast from a good baker and was blown away at how much I enjoyed it. I might have to start adding bread+peanut butter for my breakfast, I do think I need carbs in the morning (right now I just eat bacon and eggs for breakfast).

1 - I hope that was not Roti. Roti is delicious. :D

2 - Man, did I love going to my white friends houses growing up and eating dinner rolls - yummy.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #4771 on: July 19, 2016, 07:13:39 AM »

Are we related?  My brother does this all the time, even now in his 40's.  My parents did cut off the mooching.

Nah, but your brothers are.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4772 on: July 19, 2016, 07:42:15 AM »

Only if you've driven them. ;)

Then I'm counting all the ships, and heavy equipment too. ;)

Takes forever to rack up $1.5M counting $600 and $750 cars...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 07:44:18 AM by Mybigtoe »

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4773 on: July 19, 2016, 10:58:07 AM »

And weirdly enough, the same company is soliciting owners to rent out their watches through them:

https://www.elevenjames.com/watch-and-earn

Sounds like the Turo/Uber of fancy watches?

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #4774 on: July 19, 2016, 02:17:03 PM »
And weirdly enough, the same company is soliciting owners to rent out their watches through them:

https://www.elevenjames.com/watch-and-earn

Sounds like the Turo/Uber of fancy watches?
This is fairly common for AAA luxury items, whether its boats, houses, cars. Many people who buy these things don't actually need them that often and don't mind the extra money (these things are expensive even for rich people), and there is a large demand for having said luxuries for only a day or two by the slightly rich.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4775 on: July 19, 2016, 06:43:38 PM »
That said, I grew up eating the crappy bread and not appreciating it, during the 4th I was over at my friend's family's house and they had a loaf of toast from a good baker and was blown away at how much I enjoyed it. I might have to start adding bread+peanut butter for my breakfast, I do think I need carbs in the morning (right now I just eat bacon and eggs for breakfast).

2 - Man, did I love going to my white friends houses growing up and eating dinner rolls - yummy.

No, I don't consider roti to be the "crappy bread" part. That said, I really don't like them, I don't know what it is. Objectively my mom's roti's are the best in the world, with a cousin's only being a few whiskers behind hers, and I still don't like them.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4776 on: July 19, 2016, 10:12:25 PM »

No, I don't consider roti to be the "crappy bread" part. That said, I really don't like them, I don't know what it is. Objectively my mom's roti's are the best in the world, with a cousin's only being a few whiskers behind hers, and I still don't like them.

You know what's a crappy bread?  Papadum.  There, I said it.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4777 on: July 20, 2016, 08:26:48 AM »

What a bargain!  /s/

It's a pretty brilliant business idea, but at $12k/year (including insurance) I'd rather just buy my own Patek.  I've had my eye on a simple white gold Calatrava for a while now, and it's only $20k (ish)*.  I guess this is for people who want a variety/something new every month.

*one time I got a bonus that would have made this dream a reality, but I decided to get a much cheaper brand first.  Turns out I don't wear enough to keep it wound because I don't want to damage it biking, etc.  So sadly I won't be getting any more fancy watches.
  I noticed my flip phone has a clock on it, so I don't need a watch.
And as to making an impression, you should see my friends when I
pull out my flip phone. It really creates an impression!   :-)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4778 on: July 20, 2016, 08:41:36 AM »

What a bargain!  /s/

I don't need a watch either, the last several times I've owned a watch, I would still use my phone to check the time....and this was pre-smartphone days. Now I'm much more accustomed to using my phone than I thought was possible.

I could see myself getting a watch to look more professional, but then I would probably buy a cheap something that just looks nice. Kinda like a knock-off without the fake brand on it.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4779 on: July 20, 2016, 08:55:44 AM »

In the space of three days, my husband brought home three performance cars totalling $1 million.
Please confirm that you/husband did not buy $1 million of cars in three days.
Work perk. He did not buy them.

o_O

What kind of job gives you that kind of perk?!

It's only $300, but he doesn't have the money because, "I can't find a job I like in my field of graphic design."
One of my buddies from high school actually got a graphic design job after a few months of searching around after graduation.  He moved halfway across the country to Florida, then quit 3 months later because he didn't like it.  He's back home with his mom now.

In his defense, he's working full time at a retail store and looking for another design job, doing one-off work where he can find it for now.  I would have given the Florida job at least a year before deciding to move all the way back to Ohio, though.

To be fair, graphic design is an industry in which it's pretty damn hard to find a job (that you like or otherwise). My wife is a graphic designer and has been unemployed or underemployed quite a lot.

For example, my wife has only been able to find full-time-but temporary graphic design jobs for the last few years (working something like May-October in 2014, 2015 and now 2016) while supplementing that by working a retail job the rest of the time. Now she's finally found a hopefully-permanent graphic design job, but it's only part-time for now (hopefully full-time in six months or so), so she's juggling that and the temporary one and the retail one (because who knows if this "permanent" one will really pan out in the long run anyway).

The worst part (in my opinion) is that even though we could save 100% of her salary, none of the jobs currently make her eligible for a 401k...

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #4780 on: July 20, 2016, 10:09:09 AM »

What a bargain!  /s/

I don't need a watch either, the last several times I've owned a watch, I would still use my phone to check the time....and this was pre-smartphone days. Now I'm much more accustomed to using my phone than I thought was possible.

I could see myself getting a watch to look more professional, but then I would probably buy a cheap something that just looks nice. Kinda like a knock-off without the fake brand on it.
I use mine for that, plus tracking time while running with a stopwatch feature.

When I was in school, I had teachers/professors who didn't keep clocks in their rooms, and would rain hell upon you if you took out your phone in class to check the time.  I started wearing watches as my silent little rebellion against them.

OmahaSteph

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal: The Slow Lane to FIRE
« Reply #4781 on: July 20, 2016, 10:39:09 AM »
Didn't even try to diagnose the problem. Granted, the appliances she had were used when she got them, but the dryer is fine, yet they replaced it, too, so the appliances matched. *facepalm*

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4782 on: July 20, 2016, 12:54:44 PM »
Didn't even try to diagnose the problem. Granted, the appliances she had were used when she got them, but the dryer is fine, yet they replaced it, too, so the appliances matched. *facepalm*
Appliance repair is often cheap and pretty easy too.  Washer and dryer (at least old ones - haven't had a newer one to look at) are actually quite simple under the hood.

Ours that came with the house have each had an apparent catastrophic failure that was cleared up pretty quickly with some google-foo, mail-order parts, and elbow grease.  $100 total spent, and $60 of that was wasted on a new pump for the washer that turned out to not be the problem.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4783 on: July 20, 2016, 01:10:59 PM »
Appliance repair is often cheap and pretty easy too.  Washer and dryer (at least old ones - haven't had a newer one to look at) are actually quite simple under the hood.

Ours that came with the house have each had an apparent catastrophic failure that was cleared up pretty quickly with some google-foo, mail-order parts, and elbow grease.  $100 total spent, and $60 of that was wasted on a new pump for the washer that turned out to not be the problem.

Budgeting 1500$!!!  I had no idea.  Just checked BestBuy and they will sell you a 1700$ washer, what-why-how can it do anything to even remotely justify that?  But even more dumb is the 1800$ dryer!  What on earth could it be doing, it is just a hair dryer with a spinning drum?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4784 on: July 20, 2016, 01:49:54 PM »

Budgeting 1500$!!!  I had no idea.  Just checked BestBuy and they will sell you a 1700$ washer, what-why-how can it do anything to even remotely justify that?  But even more dumb is the 1800$ dryer!  What on earth could it be doing, it is just a hair dryer with a spinning drum?

I've got one with some kind of steam technology, but I've never used it.  Any opinions?  Seems like it can only increase my cost of operation

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4785 on: July 20, 2016, 01:52:58 PM »

I've got one with some kind of steam technology, but I've never used it.  Any opinions?  Seems like it can only increase my cost of operation

Hm.  The only one I've used with steam as an option meant that it would essentially tumble dry your clothes with a touch of water.  I think you'd use it to remove wrinkles from already clean clothing.  I have a very simple/archaic gas dryer now, and I just throw an ice cube or two in with dry clothing to help with wrinkles.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4786 on: July 20, 2016, 02:27:23 PM »
What, wait, the appliances need to match? I replaced a washer about 10 years ago but still using
the dryer we bought used when we moved into the house 22 years ago. I have replaced the belt
twice and a thermal breaker once in those 22 years.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4787 on: July 20, 2016, 03:08:43 PM »

Hey - I saw a commercial on Newsy last night for a $5,000 refrigerator that has cameras inside so you can look at the contents of your fridge from outside the house. Also appeared to have an LCD screen on the door for???

We just look before we leave or call the kids when we leave for home from work.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4788 on: July 20, 2016, 04:12:25 PM »

Hey - I saw a commercial on Newsy last night for a $5,000 refrigerator that has cameras inside so you can look at the contents of your fridge from outside the house. Also appeared to have an LCD screen on the door for???

We just look before we leave or call the kids when we leave for home from work.

Good grief. A friend of mine saw a gadget at home depot or somewhere that was a refrigerator egg holder that paired to an app, so that you could check your phone and know how many eggs you had. Seems cool, he said, but then pointed out that since a dozen eggs is $2.50 and this gadget is $100, you should just buy an extra carton of eggs if you aren't sure if you have some at home, at least the first forty times. Eggs last forever in the fridge and you'll probably eat them eventually.

TL;DR: it would be cheaper to just buy redundant groceries.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4789 on: July 20, 2016, 04:13:52 PM »

The LCD is so you can look at the contents of your fridge from inside the house

Honestly the cameras are pretty helpful when you want to check on the baby.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #4790 on: July 20, 2016, 04:30:49 PM »
You put the baby in the fridge???

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4791 on: July 20, 2016, 04:43:28 PM »

Well, it's cheaper than having to run the AC for the whole house!

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #4792 on: July 20, 2016, 06:21:19 PM »

Well, it's cheaper than having to run the AC for the whole house!

And baby proofing the fridge is much more efficient than securing the entire house.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4793 on: July 20, 2016, 09:56:29 PM »

Sure, it increases the shelf life tremendously.  Now if only Purina hadn't discontinued their 5 lb bags of baby chow, this kid would be almost economical.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4794 on: July 21, 2016, 02:41:31 AM »

Condenser?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4795 on: July 21, 2016, 02:56:42 AM »

What a bargain!  /s/

I gave in and bought a digital watch a few years ago after a month-long work trip visiting five countries. I have a couple of sleep quirks, and jet-lag coupled with constantly changing time zones induced deep-seated paranoia about missing transfers, flights, etc. I would get up at 2am local time, an hour after going to bed, in a full-blown panic that it was time to leave the hotel.

Definitely time to buy a watch. With a light. And multiple time zones.

Then I could wake up, press the button, snap out of paranoid state, and go back to sleep for 40 or so minutes until it was time to do it all over again.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4796 on: July 21, 2016, 04:26:25 AM »

If the dryer was white and the new washer was going to be blue, they could have just gotten a different new dryer......if they were the same colour then that is a different level of obsessive.

MrRealEstate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4797 on: July 21, 2016, 05:48:13 AM »

If the dryer was white and the new washer was going to be blue, they could have just gotten a different new dryer......if they were the same colour then that is a different level of obsessive.

Agreed, what would people think at our laundry room get togethers with mismatched washer/dryer. Do they have ones that come with catheters and bedpans?

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4798 on: July 21, 2016, 07:01:48 AM »
I flat out don't understand fancy appliances.  I mean, they will all get your clothes clean, right?  I have a $600 Kenmore washer, the absolute cheapest one they sold at Sears and it works just fine.  It's white. 

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4799 on: July 21, 2016, 07:07:48 AM »
If your appliances are, say, in the middle of your kitchen (mine were, at my last apartment), I can understand caring about the aesthetics of it. So you either get matching ones that are 'nice-looking', or you build a cupboard to put them in to hide them, or put them behind a curtain or something.

If they're in the basement or laundry closet, like in most houses? Seriously, you only see them when they're supposed to be functional. As long as they're functional, WHO CARES?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!