Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 1893504 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #4600 on: June 09, 2016, 01:38:16 PM »

Keeping up with the Joneses predates the Internet by pretty big margin. I'd say it was more likely caused by TV.

I think it is way before TV.
Not coveting your neighbor's (stuff*) is in the Old Testament.

*translations of which stuff varies

Sure, it's just worse now that people are constantly exposed to new purchases (even if each of your 365 Facebook friends buys something once a year, that's 1 post per day) and the excessive curating effect of social media (where people of course only post their most impressive trips/purchases/achievements).  One of the reasons I rarely use facebook

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4601 on: June 09, 2016, 01:44:29 PM »

Keeping up with the Joneses predates the Internet by pretty big margin. I'd say it was more likely caused by TV.

Sure, it's just worse now that people are constantly exposed to new purchases (even if each of your 365 Facebook friends buys something once a year, that's 1 post per day) and the excessive curating effect of social media (where people of course only post their most impressive trips/purchases/achievements).  One of the reasons I rarely use facebook

To be fair back in the olden times people saw their neighbors more often and would trade gossip. That's where "chewing the fat" comes from....people coming over to share in your good fortunate by eating the pig that you were able to get. Long story short, I imagine envy was very rampant if your neighbor had better things than you, only there's a good chance that it might be a life-or-death situation as there were safety nets other than charity of your neighbors.

That said, I totally agree with giving up FB and other social media. It's not just purchases, but experiences that can create a desire that is unhealthy for your pocketbook and your well-being.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4602 on: June 09, 2016, 02:02:34 PM »
My point is that the two things: stagnant wages and rampant spending, aren't opposing viewpoints. I believe both have occurred. That said, individuals largely have control over one aspect and that is their spending, so that's what I feel more concerned about fixing personally.

This is my general take as well. Are there issues surrounding inequality and student loan debt, etc? Of course. Should anyone in a rough situation just sit and twiddle their thumbs waiting on God/government/someone to magically fix it? Of course not!

I routinely get bitched at on reddit.com/r/personalfinance for suggesting that someone with 100K student loan debt making 20K should make more money. Usually people go on and on talking about for profit schools and how our parents in the 1970s had it so much easier and blah blah blah. Maybe that's all true. But it does nothing to fix the problem at hand.

You can spend all day thinking about the way things ought to be or you can accept that not everything is perfect and figure out what steps you should take to improve your personal situation.
Refinanced $35,000 Parent PLUS loan with Earnest | 7.65% to 4.65%. | $200 bonus: http://goo.gl/dCbBZy

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4603 on: June 09, 2016, 02:07:59 PM »
My point is that the two things: stagnant wages and rampant spending, aren't opposing viewpoints. I believe both have occurred. That said, individuals largely have control over one aspect and that is their spending, so that's what I feel more concerned about fixing personally.

This is my general take as well. Are there issues surrounding inequality and student loan debt, etc? Of course. Should anyone in a rough situation just sit and twiddle their thumbs waiting on God/government/someone to magically fix it? Of course not!

I routinely get bitched at on reddit.com/r/personalfinance for suggesting that someone with 100K student loan debt making 20K should make more money. Usually people go on and on talking about for profit schools and how our parents in the 1970s had it so much easier and blah blah blah. Maybe that's all true. But it does nothing to fix the problem at hand.

You can spend all day thinking about the way things ought to be or you can accept that not everything is perfect and figure out what steps you should take to improve your personal situation.

Yes!! That was actually kinda my point - like, even if the system is a mess, there's nothing stopping you from doing the best you can within that system.would you do better in another system? Sure! Maybe! But since you're in this one, why not do what you can anyway, all while hoping it gets fixed?worst case scenario is that you're gonna do better...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4604 on: June 09, 2016, 02:10:35 PM »

Absolutely! A good friend of mine has a ton of student debt, but she's a teacher and her school district pays off student loans for teachers if they work ___ years (can't recall the number), so she's doing that. I don't think she likes her posting, but for the salary plus debt forgiveness she figures that it's way too good to pass up.

Another good friend had student loans from college and graduate school for architecture and her response was to keep a strict budget that she never budged from until it was cleared out. She managed to clear it in 2.5 years by doing so. Now she's saving up to buy a house in cash, though I don't think she's going to be as restrictive this time around. She's also someone that is perfectly willing to call people out on their bullshit.

runningthroughFIRE

• Bristles
  • Ask for broader shoulders.
« Reply #4605 on: June 09, 2016, 05:42:05 PM »
I've got one.

Girl about my age (young 20s) posted a picture of the shiny new 2016 Jeep Patriot she just leased.  It's not as crazy as some of the cars out there but she's single, lives alone, and never drives off paved city streets.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4606 on: June 10, 2016, 09:10:19 AM »

I'm still not sure about that. People (Americans) still (as of 2014) watch WAY more TV (~3 hours per week) than they spend on the computer for leisure (~30 minutes per week). Which is actually extremely surprising to me, but they're exposed to WAY more consumerism in 3 hours of TV than in 30 minutes of computer time. Source: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/atus.t11.htm

Now, I'm not sure if smart phone use falls into computer time, but the fact remains that TV watching comprises at least half of the average American's leisure time. Recall that most nonMustachian Americans haven't cut the cable yet.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Ting referral ($25 credit!): https://zds8505smfe.ting.com/
Discover referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year!): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4607 on: June 10, 2016, 09:16:12 AM »

I'm still not sure about that. People (Americans) still (as of 2014) watch WAY more TV (~3 hours per week) than they spend on the computer for leisure (~30 minutes per week). Which is actually extremely surprising to me, but they're exposed to WAY more consumerism in 3 hours of TV than in 30 minutes of computer time. Source: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/atus.t11.htm

Now, I'm not sure if smart phone use falls into computer time, but the fact remains that TV watching comprises at least half of the average American's leisure time. Recall that most nonMustachian Americans haven't cut the cable yet.

I believe that's hours per day, not per week.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4608 on: June 10, 2016, 09:21:19 AM »

I believe that's hours per day, not per week.
Oops, that's correct. My brain switches off when I see charts with numbers in them. It's a survival mechanism.

Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that half of all leisure time is TV, whereas Internet/computer use is much, much lower in comparison.
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really, and I'm not above begging for likes): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Discover referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year!): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

BDWW

• Bristles
« Reply #4609 on: June 10, 2016, 12:18:23 PM »

Yes!! That was actually kinda my point - like, even if the system is a mess, there's nothing stopping you from doing the best you can within that system.would you do better in another system? Sure! Maybe! But since you're in this one, why not do what you can anyway, all while hoping it gets fixed?worst case scenario is that you're gonna do better...

The colloquial response to such a situation around here is "Wish in one hand, sh*t in the other, and see which fills up faster."

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4610 on: June 10, 2016, 02:01:15 PM »

This is kind of how I feel.  I grew up in the 70s/80s, and I watched a LOT of TV while doing homework.  Hours a day really.  But we only had 3-4 channels.

So, I watched Brady Bunch, MASH, shows like that. They weren't over the top.

And then I remember watching 90210 and Fresh Prince - but by then I was in college and I think we all knew it was over-the-top fake.  At least for a country girl from Western PA.

TV now seems like "everyone is middle class" but they aren't.  At least we had Roseanne.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4611 on: June 10, 2016, 03:50:12 PM »
And then I remember watching 90210 and Fresh Prince - but by then I was in college and I think we all knew it was over-the-top fake.  At least for a country girl from Western PA.

TV now seems like "everyone is middle class" but they aren't.  At least we had Roseanne.

I love Fresh Prince, but I thought they established pretty well that this was an upper class family. It wasn't pretending that lifestyle was "normal".  Friends to me is the ultimate suspension of disbelief. Half of them were unemployed most of the time living in huge Manhattan apartments.
Refinanced $35,000 Parent PLUS loan with Earnest | 7.65% to 4.65%. | $200 bonus: http://goo.gl/dCbBZy

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4612 on: June 10, 2016, 04:16:11 PM »

I love Fresh Prince, but I thought they established pretty well that this was an upper class family. It wasn't pretending that lifestyle was "normal".  Friends to me is the ultimate suspension of disbelief. Half of them were unemployed most of the time living in huge Manhattan apartments.
Oh my, yes. Don't get me wrong, I love Friends and understand it's comedy.

The most unbelievable part for me was when Joey and Chandler have a falling out, and Chandler reminds the audience that he has been paying Joey's part of the rent for years like it's just a moderate favor.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4613 on: June 10, 2016, 04:38:43 PM »

Oh my, yes. Don't get me wrong, I love Friends and understand it's comedy.

The most unbelievable part for me was when Joey and Chandler have a falling out, and Chandler reminds the audience that he has been paying Joey's part of the rent for years like it's just a moderate favor.

Chandler makes a LOT of money as a transponster, so it's no big deal

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4614 on: June 10, 2016, 09:12:15 PM »
http://www.movoto.com/blog/novelty-real-estate/sitcom-cribs/ Which TV characters could afford their apartments

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4615 on: June 10, 2016, 10:24:41 PM »
http://www.movoto.com/blog/novelty-real-estate/sitcom-cribs/ Which TV characters could afford their apartments

Full house was in the 80s though... SF was probably cheaper

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4616 on: June 10, 2016, 10:54:13 PM »

That's an understatement if ever I heard one.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4617 on: June 11, 2016, 01:16:51 AM »

Sorry, I meant full house was LIKE, TOTALLY set in the 80s

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4618 on: June 13, 2016, 06:30:46 AM »

They are saying that Danny in Full House makes half what the Winslows did in Family Matters and just a bit more than Homer Jay Simpson?  Somehow I always thought that Danny had some family money or did well before the shows time too.

Under sources they list only the page the chart is on.  Are there good public data on income by occupation over the last few decades and housing prices?  Was the 'analysis' done in today's dollars or 80's?

I probably have better things to be thinking about today...
Be the person Mr. Rogers knows you can be.

crispy

• Bristles
« Reply #4619 on: June 13, 2016, 07:08:09 AM »

They are saying that Danny in Full House makes half what the Winslows did in Family Matters and just a bit more than Homer Jay Simpson?  Somehow I always thought that Danny had some family money or did well before the shows time too.

Under sources they list only the page the chart is on.  Are there good public data on income by occupation over the last few decades and housing prices?  Was the 'analysis' done in today's dollars or 80's?

He was a widower so I always assumed that he received life insurance after his wife died. And yes, I have spent way too much time thinking about the lives of sitcom characters.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:24:01 AM by crispy »

OneCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #4620 on: June 13, 2016, 08:25:08 AM »
Anyone seen the FB post titled "Make Monsanto Mad!!" with the ingredients to a simple weed killer (epsom salt, vinegar, dish detergent, etc)?  Good tip, cheaper and very MMM way to tend the yard, but it really tipped something over in me considering who shared it this time. 

This was posted by an idiot relative who must be the dumbest woman I have ever met.  She loves to harp all about this kind of greenie-mama earth stuff and loves to share posts that are all about Sticking it to The Man and railing against Big Corporations. 

Meanwhile she smoked and drank her way through two pregnancies and has idiot children to show for it--no kidding, one has all the physical and mental markers of prenatal alcohol syndrome, both are adults now and are really messed up losers who can't stray too far from the Jack Daniels or the bong to work or get some education and skills.  I just can't deal with the self-righteous bullshit she is always spewing when the one thing she had 100% control over was just too hard to do, i.e. cut the booze and smicks while hatching the brood. 

I would love to point this out to her in response to her most ridiculous "they are poisoning us!" posts, but I just can't.  She is not worth dealing with the fallout from everyone she is linked to.  BTW, no, she has not adopted clean living in the last 25 years and is making up for harming her kids--she still smokes and tokes and guzzles as much as ever.  And her house is a hoard, filthy, disgusting, full of crap.  She is just crazy I guess.
Maybe you should unfriend her because you obviously despise her and her "brood".
I refinanced my student loans with Sofi from 6.8% to 3.805%.  Use my referral URL for a $100 welcome bonus if you refinance with Sofi:  https://www.sofi.com/refer/234/11233

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4621 on: June 13, 2016, 08:29:24 AM »

For the Simpsons, they were gifted the house by Grandpa Abe.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #4622 on: June 13, 2016, 09:09:56 AM »
As fun as it is to giggle about how (un)realistic TV people's standards of living are compared to what a real person could afford or actually do, isn't that part of the point of the entertainment? On TV, the finances are just as fake as the tits and the eyelashes.
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

LazyBones

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4623 on: June 13, 2016, 10:48:31 AM »
A young family that is friends with my DW and I recently sold their home and moved in with the parents to save money to pay off debts and get back on their feet.
A couple of weeks ago, they traded in one of their cars and purchased a slightly used minivan.
On top of that, one of them also just recently left their job that was close to home and got a new job that is about 45 minutes away.  I don't think there was much of a pay increase, if any.

Over the weekend on Facebook, I saw a post where they decided to drive 3 hours one way to go on a shopping trip.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4624 on: June 13, 2016, 10:48:46 AM »

It's almost certainly today's real estate prices and today's salaries in today's dollars.  If their point is that SF of today has gotten unaffordable for the middle class, then they are right-- just watch full house revamped.  But when the show actually aired, I don't think it was crazy (besides being comically large perhaps, as all TV sets are)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4625 on: June 14, 2016, 10:19:25 AM »
Guy posts photos of his new house.

A few hours later, same guy starts begging people for furniture, appliances, flatware, etc. to fill it.

I can't decide if he was Mustachian for furnishing the house with freebies, or Antimustachian for spending so much on the house he couldn't afford to furnish it.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4626 on: June 14, 2016, 10:22:26 AM »

I remember there was an episode where Homer and Marge paid off their mortgage, and then Homer takes out a new mortgage on their house so he can give the money to Moe and save his bar.  So they had a mortgage.  I have no idea why I remember this, or why I feel it important to correct you.
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4627 on: June 14, 2016, 10:31:15 AM »

I remember there was an episode where Homer and Marge paid off their mortgage, and then Homer takes out a new mortgage on their house so he can give the money to Moe and save his bar.  So they had a mortgage.  I have no idea why I remember this, or why I feel it important to correct you.

I stand corrected, turns out that Abe gave them the money for the down-payment, I thought he paid for the entire house.

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/742_Evergreen_Terrace

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4628 on: June 14, 2016, 10:59:24 AM »

I stand corrected, turns out that Abe gave them the money for the down-payment, I thought he paid for the entire house.

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/742_Evergreen_Terrace

I like how you guys expect the Simpsons to have internal consistency. 

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4629 on: June 14, 2016, 11:40:32 AM »

Itchy should've tied Scratchy's tongue with a taut-line hitch, not a sheet bend.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4630 on: June 14, 2016, 11:45:10 AM »

Itchy should've tied Scratchy's tongue with a taut-line hitch, not a sheet bend.

Ahh this brings back memories of my childhood, LOVE this show. I haven't watched it in some time, are the new episodes good?

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4631 on: June 14, 2016, 11:55:04 AM »

Ahh this brings back memories of my childhood, LOVE this show. I haven't watched it in some time, are the new episodes good?

No.  I've only caught a few episodes here and there, but they are a completely different beast from the early episodes.  Seasons 4 through 10 are pure gold.  That particular episode was from season 5 I believe.

hernandz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4632 on: June 14, 2016, 04:14:33 PM »

Oh, ho, ho, irony! Oh, no, no, we don't get that here. See, uh, people [post] topless here while smoking dope, so irony's not really a, a high priority. 

BTDretire

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4633 on: June 14, 2016, 07:45:29 PM »

Lmftfy, 800 pixels wide, then you can see the whole picture.
 OK, sorry, it looks correct in preview, but not after I save it.
I tried twice, I don't understand.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:08:46 PM by Qmavam »

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #4634 on: June 15, 2016, 07:28:39 AM »
Re: The Full House house, in the "Fuller House" reboot on Netflix (don't judge, I'm an 80s baby and I LOVED IT), Jesse makes a comment to Danny (who decides to give the house to his daughters instead of selling it) along the lines of "do you even know how much this house is worth?!?".

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4635 on: June 15, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
Re: The Full House house, in the "Fuller House" reboot on Netflix (don't judge, I'm an 80s baby and I LOVED IT), Jesse makes a comment to Danny (who decides to give the house to his daughters instead of selling it) along the lines of "do you even know how much this house is worth?!?".

I was in San Francisco a few years ago with my wife, and we bought a day pass on one of those sight-seeing buses that drives around the city. The driver told us that tour companies weren't allowed to stop in front of the houses from the exterior shots in Full House any more because passengers kept yelling stuff like "Is Kimmy Gibbler there?!" at the residents.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #4636 on: June 15, 2016, 10:07:30 AM »

I was in San Francisco a few years ago with my wife, and we bought a day pass on one of those sight-seeing buses that drives around the city. The driver told us that tour companies weren't allowed to stop in front of the houses from the exterior shots in Full House any more because passengers kept yelling stuff like "Is Kimmy Gibbler there?!" at the residents.

Two of the houses used in "Breaking Bad" a few years ago are up for sale. One of the problems is the constant tour traffic. It's great for the tour companies but bad for the residents and neighbors. The extra vehicles in a residential area are a huge pain, and while it's common for individuals to think that their disruptive comment is "no big deal", when it happens on a daily basis it interferes with your basic comfort and safety in your own home. It also creates a maintenance burden. One homeowner regularly has to go out and retrieve garbage thrown onto his property because people keep trying to hurl pizza onto his roof to re-enact one of the scenes from the series. Overall, I don't think that whatever they made hiring their house out for the shoot was worth the resulting pain in the tush.
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4637 on: June 15, 2016, 11:54:39 AM »
"I don't eat out much! I only order take-out once a week, and go to restaurants 1-2 nights a week... oh, and of course I buy lunch at work, but I always bring breakfast!"

... In comparison, that 25$/person meal we had this weekend, which was our first restaurant meal in 2016, almost seems reasonable. Ye gods.

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4638 on: June 15, 2016, 01:41:56 PM »

Two of the houses used in "Breaking Bad" a few years ago are up for sale. One of the problems is the constant tour traffic. It's great for the tour companies but bad for the residents and neighbors. The extra vehicles in a residential area are a huge pain, and while it's common for individuals to think that their disruptive comment is "no big deal", when it happens on a daily basis it interferes with your basic comfort and safety in your own home. It also creates a maintenance burden. One homeowner regularly has to go out and retrieve garbage thrown onto his property because people keep trying to hurl pizza onto his roof to re-enact one of the scenes from the series. Overall, I don't think that whatever they made hiring their house out for the shoot was worth the resulting pain in the tush.

I think the lesson here is to have your house for sale right before the episode/movie airs.  Capitalize on the publicity but before people go ape-shit.

cats

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4639 on: June 15, 2016, 06:43:05 PM »
A friend is moving cities for a new job.  Leading up to the move, she has been freaking out about the expense of moving on FB, which is understandable, right?  Moving is a pain, and even cheap moving can feel like a big chunk of money.  I sympathize.

This week (post-move), she writes a post about how totally worth it the $99 fee for Ikea delivery is, because they bought furnishings for an entire apartment.  Friend does own a car. Which made me wonder:

1) The cost of moving was a problem, but you can afford to go out and buy a bunch of new (albeit Ikea) furnishings?  There is this thing called Craigslist.

2) Isn't almost everything large at Ikea sold in that nice flat package format that makes it easy to fit into just about any car?  She did move her mattress, so I'm at a loss as to what other large and awkward-to-fit-in-a-car type items she might have bought.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4640 on: June 15, 2016, 11:49:57 PM »
It makes me wonder what they moved if they didn't move furniture and homegoods?

Perhaps by cost of moving they are referring to security deposits, etc.

A friend is moving cities for a new job.  Leading up to the move, she has been freaking out about the expense of moving on FB, which is understandable, right?  Moving is a pain, and even cheap moving can feel like a big chunk of money.  I sympathize.

This week (post-move), she writes a post about how totally worth it the $99 fee for Ikea delivery is, because they bought furnishings for an entire apartment.  Friend does own a car. Which made me wonder:

1) The cost of moving was a problem, but you can afford to go out and buy a bunch of new (albeit Ikea) furnishings?  There is this thing called Craigslist.

2) Isn't almost everything large at Ikea sold in that nice flat package format that makes it easy to fit into just about any car?  She did move her mattress, so I'm at a loss as to what other large and awkward-to-fit-in-a-car type items she might have bought.

NykkiC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4641 on: June 16, 2016, 01:04:59 AM »

Have you actually heard your coworker say that it was because of laziness or not wanting to fit it into a car? While it may seem like a bit luxurious when complaining about the cost of moving, it may well be a necessary expense.

Personally, I've paid for Ikea delivery too, for the very specific reason that my entire family have a tendency toward bad back pains (and I'm starting to get them too) but my building doesn't have a lift. I managed to move in just fine but, when I bought my lounge half-half with my parents, we collectively decided the delivery fee was worth it because a) it meant not aggravating known physical conditions in all of us and b) it meant that I could catch the bus out and order it myself without either of my parents needing to be there with one of their cars and to help me move it.

NorCal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4642 on: June 16, 2016, 07:18:53 AM »

I agree with your sentiment, but it does remind me of a fun time I bought a 9ft floor-to-ceiling dresser at Ikea.  I proceeded to bring it home in my Miata.  Across the Bay Bridge.  In the rain.

In hindsight, I probably should have paid for delivery.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4643 on: June 16, 2016, 07:37:19 AM »
This is a bit of a tangent, but is furniture buying via Craigslist really feasible if you don't have a car and need multiple pieces of furniture? Renting a car each time you buy something would cancel out the savings from buying used.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4644 on: June 16, 2016, 08:19:38 AM »
This is a bit of a tangent, but is furniture buying via Craigslist really feasible if you don't have a car and need multiple pieces of furniture? Renting a car each time you buy something would cancel out the savings from buying used.

Two other options..

1. You have friends.
2. The seller delivers (usually for a fee, just ask if they will deliver for $40 or ?).

Where Craigslist furniture buying can be a bit problematic in getting out to look at the furniture.  Around here, the sellers are not usually biking distance from me.  Transit is challenge to areas i rarely go to, etc.

But once I find something, I have a few friends that can help me out.

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4645 on: June 16, 2016, 08:36:06 AM »

Two other options..

1. You have friends.
2. The seller delivers (usually for a fee, just ask if they will deliver for $40 or ?).

Where Craigslist furniture buying can be a bit problematic in getting out to look at the furniture.  Around here, the sellers are not usually biking distance from me.  Transit is challenge to areas i rarely go to, etc.

Option #3: rent a truck from Home Depot/Lowes/Menards for $20

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4646 on: June 16, 2016, 09:13:22 AM »

Two other options..

1. You have friends.

Can you rent a truck if you don't have car insurance (I'm assuming people who don't have a car also don't have car insurance).  Hell, today I'm getting my wife's car serviced and in order to take a free dealer loaner I had show proof of insurance. 
"If I could get all the money back I ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." - Nick Mason

cats

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4647 on: June 16, 2016, 09:18:19 AM »
Wow, I had no idea the ikea delivery fee was such a contentious point!

Obviously, as with any expense, there are situations in which it is 100% justifiable.  Maybe my friend has such a situation and hasn't disclosed that on FB.  I just thought the juxtaposition of "moving is so expensive" and "we bought a bunch of stuff at Ikea" was funny, and this is the comedy section of the forum.

As far as buying furniture on CL goes...it is definitely a pain without a car, and if you did not own a car I could see that just buying everything at Ikea and having it delivered could be the most sensible option, especially if you need to purchase unwieldy items like a mattress.  However, friend does own a car and did move her mattress, so it seemed to me that perhaps she could have furnished her apartment at a slower rate by nabbing items off CL as they became available.  When my husband and I moved in together, we used a cardboard copy paper box as a table for a couple of weeks until a table we liked came available on CL.  Wouldn't have wanted to do it forever, but it was fun and kind of romantic for two weeks :)

Anyway, it turns out one of the items she bought was a couch, which probably would be hard to fit in a car.  And I'm not sure I would be thrilled about getting a couch off craigslist.  So her use of Ikea and delivery is now slightly less puzzling.

JLee

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4648 on: June 16, 2016, 09:37:27 AM »

Two other options..

1. You have friends.

lol.  That's part of why I sold my truck a few years back...the only time it got used for 'truck stuff' is when people wanted to borrow it.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4649 on: June 16, 2016, 09:54:01 AM »
Two other options..1. You have friends.2. The seller delivers (usually for a fee, just ask if they will deliver for $40 or ?).Where Craigslist furniture buying can be a bit problematic in getting out to look at the furniture.  Around here, the sellers are not usually biking distance from me.  Transit is challenge to areas i rarely go to, etc.But once I find something, I have a few friends that can help me out.
Can you rent a truck if you don't have car insurance (I'm assuming people who don't have a car also don't have car insurance).  Hell, today I'm getting my wife's car serviced and in order to take a free dealer loaner I had show proof of insurance.

That's a really good question, to which I don't know the answer. Zipcar has trucks, but they're like $15/hr which would get cost prohibitive really fast. Much like renting a car every time you get a new piece of furniture.

Also, it's pathetic but we have no local friends.

As far as buying furniture on CL goes...it is definitely a pain without a car, and if you did not own a car I could see that just buying everything at Ikea and having it delivered could be the most sensible option, especially if you need to purchase unwieldy items like a mattress.  However, friend does own a car and did move her mattress, so it seemed to me that perhaps she could have furnished her apartment at a slower rate by nabbing items off CL as they became available.  When my husband and I moved in together, we used a cardboard copy paper box as a table for a couple of weeks until a table we liked came available on CL.  Wouldn't have wanted to do it forever, but it was fun and kind of romantic for two weeks :)

Anyway, it turns out one of the items she bought was a couch, which probably would be hard to fit in a car.  And I'm not sure I would be thrilled about getting a couch off craigslist.  So her use of Ikea and delivery is now slightly less puzzling.

We bought a mattress. Turns out the van/truck thing we rented was too small (even though it was the largest one offered), so we had to tie it to the roof--fortunately it was only about half a mile. Then the mattress alllllmost didn't fit in the elevator in our building. And then it took 30 minutes to drive that half mile (yay Chicago traffic) and got charged $35 for returning it 1 minute late.

I normally wouldn't have a problem with cardboard or old furniture (heck my balcony is furnished with stuff somebody on my floor was throwing out). But in this case, my landlord reclaimed his book cases, leaving us with mounds of books and whatever else taking up the last open floor space in our studio. Couldn't even walk to the bed. It was a bit of an emergency. And we happened to go to Ikea on one of their free lunch days, so that helped salve the pain.

I mean there are lots of options for the carless. But it seems so much more efficient (time and money) to just go buy a bunch of cheap Ikea furniture and have it delivered. Otherwise you're spending tons of time on public transit just to go look at whatever you want to buy. And then when you want to buy it, you have to pay for delivery/rental anyway. And repeat for each piece of furniture you're buying.