Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081861 times)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #4150 on: April 05, 2016, 04:08:53 PM »
More importantly, does it include immunity from becoming addicted?

I assumed not, considering it's crack.

If immunity from prosecution were included, and the sum of money were large enough, then sure. I'd have to weigh the cost of going through a drug addiction program (both financial and time) against compensation.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4151 on: April 06, 2016, 08:37:51 AM »
"We finally fit into the neighborhood lol. My first pimped out car - hybrid, panoramic roof and all." Wia picture of the new car in question.

Yes. You fit in. Debt load and all.

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
« Reply #4152 on: April 06, 2016, 12:28:20 PM »
Not on FB, but on a neighborhood site.  Neighbor is trying to sell Prada diaper bag that was specially ordered from Milan and they paid retail $1350.00.  It will be interesting to see if it sells

Oh it'll sell. But not for that price...

I saw a woman put her baby for a nap on an arm chair. She didn't need an expensive pack and play or portable crib. She was nearby for when it woke up. I feel like American baby supplies take advantage of the fear and lack of parenting Americans experience and charge outrageous prices for things they don't need.

Honestly, that's not really safe. I get that a lot of expensive baby products play into parents' fears and are often overly expensive or completely unnecessary, but babies really do need a safe place to sleep (an arm chair is likely to be a suffocation and/or fall risk). The good news is a moses basket or a cheap pack n' play can be found on amazon for ~$40. You don't need the pricey version for it to be safe!

A prada diaper bag is pretty ridiculous though.

She was within arms reach for when he woke up. The chair was slanted so the kiddo couldn't roll out and he wasn't an active sleeper.  It was upholstery rather than leather for suffocation. Not getting defensive here. I just feel very screwed when it comes to purchasing anything baby related. It's like the bikini concept, much less fabric for a much higher cost. But then baby clothes and stuff is like the bikini concept on bikinis.

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
« Reply #4153 on: April 06, 2016, 12:32:15 PM »
Unfortunately, many people start the competition over kids' achievements as soon as they're born -- each milestone, it's when did your baby first sit, crawl, get a tooth, walk,  talk, potty train, learn to write his name, learn to read, etc.  So many parents get in competitions over their kids' development.  It's too bad.

I have a 5 month old and was browsing a book on child development. The author shared her spouse's response to the humble-bragging parents do about their kid's milestones. Anytime someone tells them about what milestone little Junior is hitting, they reply, "Already??!" An easy way to make a new parent feel good about their imperfect little creature.

I'm considering using my coworker's response.. He simply says "I'm not impressed. My kid is already doing that." And doesn't care if you point out his kid is 6. "Oh, your kid rolled over at 5 months? I'm not impressed...my kid already does that."

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #4154 on: April 06, 2016, 02:00:04 PM »
Not on FB, but on a neighborhood site.  Neighbor is trying to sell Prada diaper bag that was specially ordered from Milan and they paid retail $1350.00.  It will be interesting to see if it sells

Oh it'll sell. But not for that price...

I saw a woman put her baby for a nap on an arm chair. She didn't need an expensive pack and play or portable crib. She was nearby for when it woke up. I feel like American baby supplies take advantage of the fear and lack of parenting Americans experience and charge outrageous prices for things they don't need.

Honestly, that's not really safe. I get that a lot of expensive baby products play into parents' fears and are often overly expensive or completely unnecessary, but babies really do need a safe place to sleep (an arm chair is likely to be a suffocation and/or fall risk). The good news is a moses basket or a cheap pack n' play can be found on amazon for ~$40. You don't need the pricey version for it to be safe!

A prada diaper bag is pretty ridiculous though.

[...] But then baby clothes and stuff is like the bikini concept on bikinis.
You buy it and pray to all that's holy that the baby will fit in it 4 months from now, but you already know in the back of your mind that it won't, and you're committed to it anyways?  Sure, it's a little small on the baby, but omg look how cute this onesy is!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4155 on: April 06, 2016, 02:45:55 PM »
One of my friends who reposts pro-Bernie Sanders stuff every day (I have no problem with this) mentioned seeing "The Big Short" and went on a rant about how much of his net worth disappeared during the crash.  I was scratching my head trying to figure out why he was so upset.  If he just ranted about the principle of the poor planning and recklessness that led to the housing crash I'd be okay, but he was specific about how it affected him financially.  I found myself typing (but not posting) "why do you care? You were a junior Captain and didn't need to touch your assets until a year ago. Assuming you didn't sell off you would have made it all back and then some by now." I didn't actually send it just in case he made such a short-sighted decision and we'd end up arguing about it for hours.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4156 on: April 07, 2016, 07:55:03 AM »
I have one for here.  The state I live in is having a massive budget crisis due to oil prices. They relied too heavily on revenues from oil and gas and the tax was based on the dollar rather than the gallon and now are looking at approximately a $1.3b shortfall. Because of this everything is getting cut including a 25% reimbursement rate to Medicaid providers. (yes, they did not expand medicare/medicaid with the ACA). A friend who is a RN posted this morning about how this 25% reimbursement rate cut will make it so she will not be able to retire.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:57:16 AM by Proud Foot »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4157 on: April 07, 2016, 08:32:05 AM »
If he just ranted about the principle of the poor planning and recklessness that led to the housing crash I'd be okay, but he was specific about how it affected him financially.

Yeah this gets me. I can completely understand someone's anger at the sheer immorality and possible illegality of Wall Street's actions (or their utter disregard for anything but their own wallets) or if he/she lost a job due to the recession*, but the idea that someone lost money is a red herring. If you were invested in a broad index fund yes you you're funds would have lost value during the collapse, but they recovered within a year or two. I know quite a few people that had cash that bought a bunch of good stocks because they were on a 'fire sale.'

*I  was sitting in class the day Bear Sterns stock imploded. The friend I was sitting next to interned there that summer and had a job offer waiting for upon graduation, she ran out of class to try to talk to a friend there but couldn't get a hold of anyone.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #4158 on: April 07, 2016, 09:11:42 AM »
Somebody on my facebook posted something like "It's not even worth getting this 1$ raise since the fuckers at the IRS is just going to screw me now that I'm in the 15% bracket I might as well have not gotten a raise in the first place."

It bothered me mostly that he was so angry without even looking into it at all, than that he had the misunderstanding, since I know it's a common thing for people to not get.

Somebody beat me to explaining how it actually works though, so that's good.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4159 on: April 07, 2016, 09:14:17 AM »
Somebody on my facebook posted something like "It's not even worth getting this 1$ raise since the fuckers at the IRS is just going to screw me now that I'm in the 15% bracket I might as well have not gotten a raise in the first place."

It bothered me mostly that he was so angry without even looking into it at all, than that he had the misunderstanding, since I know it's a common thing for people to not get.

That was my (Republican IRS appointee) federal income tax professor's pet peeve.  Until we have 101% marginal rates, earning more money is always a good thing.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4160 on: April 07, 2016, 09:24:03 AM »
That was my (Republican IRS appointee) federal income tax professor's pet peeve.  Until we have 101% marginal rates, earning more money is always a good thing.

The record in Sweden was 102%.  Astrid Lindgren, author of Pippi Longstocking, wrote a story about it.  The Finance Minister at the time was not amused to be the center of that story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomperipossa_in_Monismania

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4161 on: April 07, 2016, 09:38:52 AM »

Yup, it's amazing how stupid can be. I recall reading about people that wanted to avoid being in the highest bracket around the time Obama was elected and so would work to keep their salary a hair under the limit, failing to realize that going over it didn't mean that the tax rate would hit only the amount above the threshold. My question to them is, how the hell are you earning that much if you are too dumb to understand a simple tax fact?

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4162 on: April 07, 2016, 09:40:11 AM »
From my #1 crazy FB friend:

They say hindsight is 20/20. If you had the opportunity to purchase sock in something before it went big (think Apple, Google, Amazon, Starbucks) would you?

What if I told you that you could do that today: that you could invest in a business opportunity with a proven track record, that was about to explode?

Timing is so critical, and missed opportunities are often times more expensive than the ones you take.

[BS MLM company] will be announcing something HUGE on [date], and the time to join is now!

How is a company that treads the EXACT SAME ground as dozens of others comparable to the groundbreakers cited? And the time to invest in those companies was BEFORE they had a proven track record, but you could have also invested in something else that seemed the same but fell apart. That's just gambling.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4163 on: April 07, 2016, 09:49:11 AM »

They say hindsight is 20/20. If you had the opportunity to purchase sock in something before it went big (think Apple, Google, Amazon, Starbucks) would you?

What if I told you that you could do that today: that you could invest in a business opportunity with a proven track record, that was about to explode?

Timing is so critical, and missed opportunities are often times more expensive than the ones you take.

[BS MLM company] will be announcing something HUGE on [date], and the time to join is now!

How is a company that treads the EXACT SAME ground as dozens of others comparable to the groundbreakers cited? And the time to invest in those companies was BEFORE they had a proven track record, but you could have also invested in something else that seemed the same but fell apart. That's just gambling.

People who write stuff like this are going to burn for eternity. Purposefully deceiving weak-minded people must be the worst sin there is.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4164 on: April 07, 2016, 09:51:33 AM »

People who write stuff like this are going to burn for eternity. Purposefully deceiving weak-minded people must be the worst sin there is.

What do you mean? I thought capitalism is all about survival of the fittest. If a company is poisoning people, there's no need for the government to get involved, people will simply stop doing business with the company and they'll adapt to market pressure. Also there should be no protections against sexual harassment and child labor, for the same reasons.

/s

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #4165 on: April 07, 2016, 10:31:39 AM »

I don't know, I'd be game for anything that actually keeps my feet warm in the winter.  I have wool socks that sometimes don't do the job.  Where do I sign up for these exclusive socks?

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4166 on: April 07, 2016, 10:57:03 AM »
Yeah this gets me. I can completely understand someone's anger at the sheer immorality and possible illegality of Wall Street's actions (or their utter disregard for anything but their own wallets) or if he/she lost a job due to the recession*, but the idea that someone lost money is a red herring. If you were invested in a broad index fund yes you you're funds would have lost value during the collapse, but they recovered within a year or two. I know quite a few people that had cash that bought a bunch of good stocks because they were on a 'fire sale.'

That went both ways; I know a few people who were close to retirement age at the time who pulled their money out at the bottom of the market and stuck it into cash and CDs, missing out on the entire recovery. Bummer.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4167 on: April 07, 2016, 10:58:38 AM »
What do you mean? I thought capitalism is all about survival of the fittest. If a company is poisoning people, there's no need for the government to get involved, people will simply stop doing business with the company and they'll adapt to market pressure. Also there should be no protections against sexual harassment and child labor, for the same reasons.

/s

Hey, I remember you! You were the one reading _Atlas Shrugged_ in our junior high study hall!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4168 on: April 07, 2016, 11:39:03 AM »

/s

Hey, I remember you! You were the one reading _Atlas Shrugged_ in our junior high study hall!

That sounds about right. O man, if only the government treated businesses like Ayn Rand wanted. Maybe then airlines would run on time, safety regulations would be meaningless because Readon Steel would be flawless and perfect each and every time.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4169 on: April 07, 2016, 12:08:05 PM »

Yup, it's amazing how stupid can be. I recall reading about people that wanted to avoid being in the highest bracket around the time Obama was elected and so would work to keep their salary a hair under the limit, failing to realize that going over it didn't mean that the tax rate would hit only the amount above the threshold. My question to them is, how the hell are you earning that much if you are too dumb to understand a simple tax fact?

I've been working to keep our household income below the next bracket.  I understand how marginal tax rates work, but the more I work, the more marginal utility my free time has and the less marginal utility my net income has (due to increased tax rates and not really needing more money)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4170 on: April 07, 2016, 08:44:07 PM »

In a very special level of hell, with child molesters and people who talk at the theater?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4171 on: April 07, 2016, 09:14:59 PM »

In a very special level of hell, with child molesters and people who talk at the theater?

So there was kissing, how.....special.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4172 on: April 08, 2016, 07:59:35 AM »

Y'all are my kind of people.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4173 on: April 08, 2016, 08:07:17 AM »

And people who take up the bus seat next to them with their bag. And manspreaders.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #4174 on: April 08, 2016, 08:39:20 AM »

And people who take up the bus seat next to them with their bag. And manspreaders.

My bottom rung of hell is filled with people who write in library books.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4175 on: April 08, 2016, 08:52:02 AM »

My bottom rung of hell is filled with people who write in library books.

People who lean their entire body against the subway pole (if it's crowded).  I take special pleasure in wedging my knuckles in under their spine while pointedly grasping the pole.

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #4176 on: April 08, 2016, 10:41:38 AM »

There are humans alive today whose parents weren't yet born when Firefly was cancelled. If they asked their parents what you were referencing the parents would reply "ask Grandpa".

Just saying.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4177 on: April 08, 2016, 10:45:19 AM »

There are humans alive today whose parents weren't yet born when Firefly was cancelled. If they asked their parents what you were referencing the parents would reply "ask Grandpa".

Just saying.
fuck, that's mean man.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #4178 on: April 08, 2016, 11:26:55 AM »

Just saying.

Firefly was cancelled in 2003. A wee bit of exaggeration there.

Not in my state. 13-year-old parents aren't that unusual here.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4179 on: April 08, 2016, 01:10:51 PM »

Just saying.

Do I need to explain to you what the chain-of-command is?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4180 on: April 08, 2016, 01:43:43 PM »

Just saying.

Do I need to explain to you what the chain-of-command is?

I might tell you to sit down.

That might be a tad difficult as I have a home-made standing workstation ;-).

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4181 on: April 08, 2016, 05:38:14 PM »

Just saying.

I work in an inner city public hospital maternity ward. That ain't no exaggeration.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4182 on: April 08, 2016, 06:14:58 PM »

Just saying.

I work in an inner city public hospital maternity ward. That ain't no exaggeration.

My aunt (the OB GYN nurse) has had bowls of condoms on her coffee table at her kids' parties for as long as I can remember.  Of course both of her kids were parents before they hit 20 anyway... but they were not 13.

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #4183 on: April 08, 2016, 07:39:35 PM »

Just saying.

Not in my state. 13-year-old parents aren't that unusual here.

But to have the child asking full questions about Firefly, I think we're dealing with at least a 3 year old, so the parents would have to have been 10 when said child was born. Not impossible, but very unlikely.
Yeah but if the parent was 3 when Firefly was cancelled then they'd still say "ask grandpa". Was making two separate points though. Point still stands. Maybe it's time to let it go. (((

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4184 on: April 08, 2016, 10:07:48 PM »
He bought in to the whole "frequency" thing and purchased a very expensive box which he put on the back of his (very expensive) sports car's driver's seat.

The box was supposed to "negate" the negative frequency caused by driving.  When his nephew (an M.Eng.) asked him what was in the box, he explained that you would negate the effects if you opened the box, so he just trusted in it.

Sadly, this reminded me of the concept of buying carbon-offsets. There's a "King of the Hill" episode where the boys sell carbon offset, one person buys one and then thinks, "This makes up for the 45 minute showers I take daily, it's my ME time."

FrugalHealthCoach

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4185 on: April 13, 2016, 09:15:05 AM »
Recently read a very public facebook fight between a woman I grew up with and her husband.  She mentions how she doesn't get the support she needs and it's frustrating that she is the only one stressing about paying for tooth paste, toilet paper, putting food on the table, and fertility treatments.

Excuse me??  You can't afford food, toilet, paper, and tooth paste.  You are immature enough to have a horrible fight with your husband over facebook, but you want to bring a baby into this world??  Come on.  If you can't afford food, you aren't gonna be even close to affording a baby.  How about you get your finances together before you bring another human into the situation. 

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4186 on: April 13, 2016, 12:32:30 PM »
Recently read a very public facebook fight between a woman I grew up with and her husband.  She mentions how she doesn't get the support she needs and it's frustrating that she is the only one stressing about paying for tooth paste, toilet paper, putting food on the table, and fertility treatments.

Excuse me??  You can't afford food, toilet, paper, and tooth paste.  You are immature enough to have a horrible fight with your husband over facebook, but you want to bring a baby into this world??  Come on.  If you can't afford food, you aren't gonna be even close to affording a baby.  How about you get your finances together before you bring another human into the situation.

If she's having this fight with her husband, she's not going to get pregnant anyway! Unless there's a side dude.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4187 on: April 13, 2016, 12:39:58 PM »

If she's having this fight with her husband, she's not going to get pregnant anyway! Unless there's a side dude.

That's not always how these things work. Some couples think that by getting pregnant and having a child all their woes (financial, martial, ect) will simply cease to exist and they will be surrounded by rays of sunshine wherever they go.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4188 on: April 13, 2016, 12:52:48 PM »

That's not always how these things work. Some couples think that by getting pregnant and having a child all their woes (financial, martial, ect) will simply cease to exist and they will be surrounded by rays of sunshine wherever they go.

Yeah, you're right. But I know I'm not allowed within 10 feet of my wife when she's mad at me.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4189 on: April 13, 2016, 01:11:17 PM »

Clearly, the best way to salvage a struggling relationship is with less sleep, more stress, and a tremendous financial burden.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4190 on: April 13, 2016, 01:12:20 PM »

That's how it was for my parents. And here's a twist--I'm adopted, with all the additional legal and paperwork challenges! Can't accidentally adopt someone. Spoiler: It didn't work out, and they were divorced before I was 5.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 01:16:37 PM by Inaya »

JustTrying

• Stubble
« Reply #4191 on: April 14, 2016, 07:47:23 PM »
Just saw one:

My friend posted a article about food trucks for dogs. They exist. She was super excited and asking if anyone had brought their dog to the doggy food truck. I typed a response about how I would never waste money on something so ridiculous, which is why I would be retiring early and dog-food-truck-customers wouldn't, but then I realized that I sounded like an arrogant prick. So I came over and wrote about it here.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4192 on: April 14, 2016, 08:59:34 PM »
Just saw one:

My friend posted a article about food trucks for dogs. They exist. She was super excited and asking if anyone had brought their dog to the doggy food truck. I typed a response about how I would never waste money on something so ridiculous, which is why I would be retiring early and dog-food-truck-customers wouldn't, but then I realized that I sounded like an arrogant prick. So I came over and wrote about it here.

Smart call, better to bite your tongue and come here to share such delightfully terrible posts.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #4193 on: April 15, 2016, 07:41:22 AM »
Just saw one:

I wouldn't do this just because my dog still thinks broccoli stems are a treat, and I don't want him getting too high and mighty. :)

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4194 on: April 15, 2016, 07:51:20 AM »
Just saw one:

Is there really a market for this?  Hmm, seems like a good side-hustle if so!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4195 on: April 15, 2016, 08:06:18 AM »
Just saw one:

Is there really a market for this?  Hmm, seems like a good side-hustle if so!
Around here, absolutely. During the summer there are tons of street festivals all over the city (like 2-3 big advertised ones every weekend, and even more little neighborhood ones). People LOVE to take their dogs to these things (and I'm not judging because I take my cat to them--and if I was blessed with a dog I would take it too). Food trucks also love these things. People at festivals are primed to spend money, ESPECIALLY on food stalls/trucks. And people love their dogs. It's practically a captive audience. 

I've seen two of them around here: one is billed as a doggy bakery and the other is billed as doggy ice cream. There are also mobile grooming trucks too. Not gonna lie, I don't usually buy festival food (fortunately they only take cash usually, and I only carry plastic) but I sure as heck would buy some doggy ice cream for my poor panting pooch. If it fits in my monthly budget, it won't affect my FIRE plans.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 08:09:07 AM by Inaya »

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4196 on: April 15, 2016, 08:11:22 AM »
I saw this one today in a thread about the FBI-Apple iPhone cracking issue:
How sad is it that only terrorists can afford iPhones? The rest of us normal Americans can only afford cheap smartphones.

Oh you poor, unfortunate soul.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4197 on: April 15, 2016, 08:14:38 AM »
How sad is it that only terrorists can afford iPhones? The rest of us normal Americans can only afford cheap smartphones.

In PAIN, in NEED.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4198 on: April 15, 2016, 08:33:14 AM »

Apple has 40+% of the US smartphone market... it's about as exclusive a brand as Toyota or Coca-Cola.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4199 on: April 15, 2016, 08:58:27 AM »
Also, that iPhone was given to him by his job. He smashed his personal phone. The iPhone in question probably has nothing interesting on it at all - presumably he would have smashed it if it did. It's not like ISIS sent it to him.

I wonder about that couple's child, who was just a few months old when this happened. What will his mother tell the child about her parents?