Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082770 times)

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #400 on: April 27, 2014, 05:18:37 PM »
I have some family that adhere to some particularly conservative religious tenants. I have been to three weddings where there was no alcohol OR dancing.

That defines pretty much every wedding I ever went to as a child, and most of the weddings in my town.  Service in the church, reception in the church basement.  The whole affair takes a few hours tops.

Of course, I went against the grain for my own wedding,  but we had it out of town.

Me too.   Boy, those Baptist weddings are.... are...  well, they're something.  I remember both of my sisters also had to choose their music from "an approved list of hymns."  None of that blasphemous hippy music that talks about love in OUR church!

Wifey and I went to Vegas for our wedding.  I believe Sin City properly sums up our feelings on the matter.

NeverWasACornflakeGirl

• Stubble
    • Mommy Won't Work
« Reply #401 on: April 28, 2014, 05:23:15 AM »
I have some family that adhere to some particularly conservative religious tenants. I have been to three weddings where there was no alcohol OR dancing. There was a sermon and everything.

My grandparents were raised Amish and everyone else in their families is still Amish.  Been to Amish weddings where there was three hours of preaching (all in PA Dutch) while seated on hard wooden benches in an immaculately clean barn, women on one side, men on the other.  The actual ceremony itself lasted about 3 minutes.  Afterwards the wife followed her husband out of the barn, staying about 6 feet behind him.  There was a huge homemade feast afterwards in a sort of outbuilding (also immaculately clean), with multiple seatings (the men ate first).  Explains a lot about the way I was raised ;-)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #402 on: April 28, 2014, 05:30:58 AM »
That sounds unbelievably strange!

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #403 on: April 28, 2014, 07:49:57 AM »
Yeah, you can just tell facebook "show me less/none of this person in my feed"

I have pretty much all the non stop political posters set up like that. For some reason they all seem be be tea party peeps for whatever that's worth.

My entire family has had to block my father to preserve harmony. And since he doesn't have any other friends than us, I guess no one is seeing his NRA memes.

Oh man, so it's not just me.  I couldn't even stomach Facebook after the Sandy Hook massacre, because my gun nut friends (and stepdad) were immediately posting their NRA tripe.  Look, I'm generally a supporter of the 2nd amendment, but really, where were those peoples' sense of decency in light of the horrific slaughter of mere babes?  I mean damn, they hadn't even buried the dead yet and these people were up in arms about their right to unlimited capacity magazines.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #404 on: April 28, 2014, 08:01:15 AM »
Oh man, so it's not just me.  I couldn't even stomach Facebook after the Sandy Hook massacre, because my gun nut friends (and stepdad) were immediately posting their NRA tripe.  Look, I'm generally a supporter of the 2nd amendment, but really, where were those peoples' sense of decency in light of the horrific slaughter of mere babes?  I mean damn, they hadn't even buried the dead yet and these people were up in arms about their right to unlimited capacity magazines.

Yes, but there's also the whole host of people on Facebook / wherever who were using the Sandy Hook massacre to immediately call for the banning of all guns everywhere. Political opportunism at the expense of the victims is disgusting, and both sides of every issue regularly engage in it.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #405 on: April 28, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »
A while back, I was so overwhelmed by information overload that I went through my facebook account and un-followed everybody except my wife, and about 5 other people that were very close friends.

Now I can read all my facebook "updates" in about 2 minutes a day. I love it.

Big Guy Money

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Big Guy Money
« Reply #406 on: May 02, 2014, 01:29:43 PM »
I've un-friended several cousins recently due to ridiculous drivel.  One had posted a sexual innuendo that his 6 year old son had said and laughed about it.

Another that I noticed was a 55 year old man posting a picture of a new Harley that his wife had 'bought' him.  He went on and on about how she was a good wife, and he had waited 'so long' for it.  I know for a fact he makes a ridiculous amount of money (around $200k) and blows it all.

I strongly dislike Facebook.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #407 on: May 02, 2014, 01:54:53 PM »
I've un-friended several cousins recently due to ridiculous drivel.  One had posted a sexual innuendo that his 6 year old son had said and laughed about it.

Another that I noticed was a 55 year old man posting a picture of a new Harley that his wife had 'bought' him.  He went on and on about how she was a good wife, and he had waited 'so long' for it.  I know for a fact he makes a ridiculous amount of money (around $200k) and blows it all.

I strongly dislike Facebook.

I feel like you strongly dislike the people in your friends list.

Big Guy Money

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Big Guy Money
« Reply #408 on: May 02, 2014, 02:41:45 PM »
Haha, point taken!

Brad_H

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #409 on: May 02, 2014, 03:19:28 PM »

I've un-friended Disney and Pixar; they put tons of adult humor in their childrens programs; like the twin cars in Cars who "flash" Lightning McQueen or when Buzz get a "woody" for Jessie in Toy Story, and don't get me started on The Incredibles, that entire move was about mid-life crises! Tisk, tisk.

/end gentle ribbing

Ahh wait, did I say ribbed?

Big Guy Money

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Big Guy Money
« Reply #410 on: May 02, 2014, 09:36:21 PM »

I've un-friended Disney and Pixar; they put tons of adult humor in their childrens programs; like the twin cars in Cars who "flash" Lightning McQueen or when Buzz get a "woody" for Jessie in Toy Story, and don't get me started on The Incredibles, that entire move was about mid-life crises! Tisk, tisk.

/end gentle ribbing

Ahh wait, did I say ribbed?

LOL very nice!  I'm gently smiling ;)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #411 on: May 03, 2014, 05:44:10 AM »
I was listening to a debate on the radio about the new budget and have a few key things to put out there. Since 50% of the population in Australia will be over 50 by 2020, the retirement age is going to keep going up. If you are waiting until retirement to enjoy your life/travel, keep in mind that you might not actually live long enough to reach retirement if the age keeps increasing. Dont expect the government to support you, as they probably wont. Same goes for your kids. Start planning and investing now, you will regret it if you don't (and then whinge and blame the government for your lack of foresight). Also is super the best place to be putting your money? Im thinking no, I'd rather have my money somewhere where I can get to it when I am ready to retire, not when they say I can. And finally, if you are going to have to work for 15 years more than you may have anticipated, there is no excuse to avoid upskilling/reskilling or going back for more education. Dont use your circumstances or children to stop you doing this, the benefits of more money and a comfortable retirement and not being reliant on government goodwill are surely worth the time and stress now. Thats my two cents.

I'm just ever so close to converting this friend to the dark side.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #412 on: May 03, 2014, 11:34:20 AM »
I was listening to a debate on the radio about the new budget and have a few key things to put out there. Since 50% of the population in Australia will be over 50 by 2020, the retirement age is going to keep going up. If you are waiting until retirement to enjoy your life/travel, keep in mind that you might not actually live long enough to reach retirement if the age keeps increasing. Dont expect the government to support you, as they probably wont. Same goes for your kids. Start planning and investing now, you will regret it if you don't (and then whinge and blame the government for your lack of foresight). Also is super the best place to be putting your money? Im thinking no, I'd rather have my money somewhere where I can get to it when I am ready to retire, not when they say I can. And finally, if you are going to have to work for 15 years more than you may have anticipated, there is no excuse to avoid upskilling/reskilling or going back for more education. Dont use your circumstances or children to stop you doing this, the benefits of more money and a comfortable retirement and not being reliant on government goodwill are surely worth the time and stress now. Thats my two cents.

I'm just ever so close to converting this friend to the dark side.

I think they might already be here!! Sounds like a good apple :)

Mortgage Free Mike

• Stubble
    • Save on Almost Everything
« Reply #413 on: May 03, 2014, 12:11:24 PM »
"Me and my wife made a deal not to buy coffee anymore so I went to Starbucks and spent $8 on food.  I'm not hungry, but I would really like a coffee."

SMH...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #414 on: May 03, 2014, 02:00:56 PM »
"Me and my wife made a deal not to buy coffee anymore so I went to Starbucks and spent $8 on food.  I'm not hungry, but I would really like a coffee."

SMH...

What?  To hide the coffee purchase in the Cc statement or why??

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #415 on: May 05, 2014, 03:54:02 AM »
I heard one today where a friend was looking at buying a second (economical) car for their commute to work. His current vehicle is a pickup truck (that does 1200km a week), and his commute is about 100km each way. He's still keeping the truck.

I suggested "why not move closer to work?" (he's living with his parents). His reply "I can't afford to move until I save the money, can't save the money until I have a car that's cheaper to run".

So he doesn't have the $ to get set up in a place closer to work, but does have the $ to buy a second car? Not to mention paying two lots of registration (which itself is about $700 per year per car) and insurance?

EDIT: It gets crazier! That second car, supposedly to be bought to save $. Yep, borrowed money.

EDIT #2: He has just put his total fortnightly vehicle running costs on Facebook. It's roughly the same as I spend for my total living costs (rent included), and I don't live with my parents, and am hideously profligate by Mustachian standards (work in progress).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:04:59 AM by alsoknownasDean »

payitoff

« Reply #416 on: May 07, 2014, 10:43:10 AM »
just saw my ex boyfriend finally getting a decent job, his dad was too excited and said: "let me know when you get settled, ill buy you a car".  that's why this guy is acting like a baby at almost 40, his dad still treats him like one!  good riddance.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #417 on: May 07, 2014, 11:01:37 AM »
comment on a friend's post about a broken AC unit... "We just got ours fixed from the weekend , allegedly, 3 hours ago, but the temp hasn't come down one degree yet, still on 80."

LOL, my AC works fine and my house is still 80 degrees ;)

Ayanka

• Stubble
« Reply #418 on: May 07, 2014, 01:20:44 PM »
2wakefulflea you just made my day.

Its not overheard on fb, sadly, my ex called me this morning because he absolutely wants his name of the rental contract. This will cost 3 months of rent, so after I found out, I thought I d leave it this way. I live in the appartment that is in the contract. But because my ex insists, instead of costing him nothing, it will cost him a month and a half on rent, just to get his name scratched. If I wouldn't have that much enough of the guy, I d keep in touch just for the trainwreck coming up. (I don't like being called 6:40 am, and hung up on after 4-5 rings).

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #419 on: May 07, 2014, 01:44:41 PM »
Ayanka, push back on the "cost" of removing him from the lease.  If you can afford and qualify for it on your own, it shouldn't be a penalty of 3 months, maybe at most a $50 fee for needing to rerun your credit or something.  (I get where he's coming from on not wanting to be liable for the lease, even if it is a hassle.)  When is the lease up - sometime in the summer, like most?  Perhaps you can renew w/o him at that point.

Ayanka

• Stubble
« Reply #420 on: May 07, 2014, 01:53:47 PM »
Im Belgian Commoncents, so sadly the advice doesn't apply here. The lease would renew in 2,5 years, at which point I wouldn't renew, but run before it gets locked in again. My landlord isn't exactly mister Charming, as in, there are some repairs that are still pending, that were mentioned upon getting in the appartment, half a year ago. I could register for the renters association though, and I think I might do that, not that I think it would help ditch the cost as it is in the contract. But it might help with the repairs to find out what exactly I need to do to force him to repair it.

I did make sure I qualified on my own, because, thats just me and a cheap rent helps your saving rate. I am so glad I did that though, I would really be in trouble if I didn't.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #421 on: May 07, 2014, 02:07:42 PM »
Ah, sorry I didn't notice!  Yes, Europe does it differently.  Our friends in Germany explained you even move your kitchen cabinets to each new apartment - apartment don't come standard with them there.

mmm...now I'm going to be thinking about Belgium beers all afternoon, so tasty...

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #422 on: May 07, 2014, 02:47:35 PM »
2wakefulflea you just made my day.

Its not overheard on fb, sadly, my ex called me this morning because he absolutely wants his name of the rental contract. This will cost 3 months of rent, so after I found out, I thought I d leave it this way. I live in the appartment that is in the contract. But because my ex insists, instead of costing him nothing, it will cost him a month and a half on rent, just to get his name scratched. If I wouldn't have that much enough of the guy, I d keep in touch just for the trainwreck coming up. (I don't like being called 6:40 am, and hung up on after 4-5 rings).

Wait, wait...if he wants off and you don't care, he should be paying the entire amount! It's ridiculous to make you pitch in...

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #423 on: May 07, 2014, 07:29:58 PM »
Wait, wait...if he wants off and you don't care, he should be paying the entire amount! It's ridiculous to make you pitch in...

Disagree. If Belgium is similar to the US, each person on the contract is jointly and severably liable for the contract. It's no different than splitting up and still having your name on a mortgage on a house which went to your ex: If the ex defaults, your credit gets trashed and the bank can come after your paycheck/assets, even though the house is no longer yours.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #424 on: May 07, 2014, 08:42:25 PM »

Disagree. If Belgium is similar to the US, each person on the contract is jointly and severably liable for the contract. It's no different than splitting up and still having your name on a mortgage on a house which went to your ex: If the ex defaults, your credit gets trashed and the bank can come after your paycheck/assets, even though the house is no longer yours.

Agreed.  Sounds like they split up, agreed she'd stay on in the place and finish out the lease.  Now he's belatedly realized this incurs certain legal obligations to pay if she doesn't pay, and he wants to minimize that risk by getting his name off of it.  It's reasonable to split it, as they presumably agreed to split things when they first signed the lease.  I do think it ridiculous there is a 3 month charge, but so it goes. 

Brad_H

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #425 on: May 08, 2014, 08:26:39 AM »
If the lease works the same as the US; then both parties have agreed to split the rent 50/50 by contract. The total bill is required to be paid for the duration of the term but one party is free to cover the others share at any time. If one party wants to be off the contract then it is the responsibility of that party to abide by the terms for removal that had been set forth. In this case the ex is completely responsible for any costs incurred by being removed because they have the option to continue paying their share (costly), or continue on being covered by the remaining party (risky). This helps to offset the risk that incurred by the remaining party, as they may not have the finances or the credibility to continue with the lease on their own.

Ayanka

• Stubble
« Reply #426 on: May 08, 2014, 08:48:16 AM »
Brad as stated before, it isn't the same as in the US. Plus because my landlord did 3 years of law school and likes to use tricks in the contracts, both of use would be responsible for stuff happing. In other words, if a truck drives over me and kills me, my ex would be stuck with terminating the lease and the full 3 months fee, plus 3 months rent. If a truck hits me, but doesn't kill me, it would probably depend on my mums will to be paying the rent (which would not be very high, hospital bills would come first). I do understand why he wants his name removed from the lease. I just think it is a stupid decision, knowing that barring accident, I would be in WAY more trouble than him if I didn't pay the rent.

weiny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #427 on: May 08, 2014, 09:17:55 AM »
This is it...my big day. My first post after being a lurker for years. :)

Brad_H

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #428 on: May 08, 2014, 09:35:42 AM »
I think your assuming more responsibility than you actually have. If your landlord is as legally adept as you seem to believe then he will NOT have written the contract so that the fee must be split equally between all parties since it's harder for him to collect from multiples; only that it has to be paid.

I would ask for you to post the contract but I imagine it's in a language that I don't understand, so I will use other cues to determine its contents. Primarily the reason the fee is so outrageous is because the remaining tenant usually defaults on the contract, so its presence shows your landlords experience, therefore I am comfortable with my advice as it is based on universal incentives.

I still recommend you to tell your ex "Good luck with that" hang up and remove yourself from the matter completely as it's between your ex and your landlord, you probably wouldn't even have to go re-sign the lease as the landlord can just mark your ex off, but they may insist.

I understand when you have the money there is a compulsion to pay for things to make them go away, but when all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Also Congrats weiny.

Edit: I agree with all your conclusions in your example situations.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 09:43:45 AM by Brad_H »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #429 on: May 08, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »
Brad as stated before, it isn't the same as in the US. Plus because my landlord did 3 years of law school and likes to use tricks in the contracts, both of use would be responsible for stuff happing. In other words, if a truck drives over me and kills me, my ex would be stuck with terminating the lease and the full 3 months fee, plus 3 months rent. If a truck hits me, but doesn't kill me, it would probably depend on my mums will to be paying the rent (which would not be very high, hospital bills would come first). I do understand why he wants his name removed from the lease. I just think it is a stupid decision, knowing that barring accident, I would be in WAY more trouble than him if I didn't pay the rent.

Have you asked the landlord if he will take the ex off the lease for free?  How about for $1000, paid by the ex?  If I was a landlord given the option of two people on the lease and zero extra cash, and one person on the lease and $1000 extra cash, I'd take the $1000.  I guess I'm saying... try to negotiate? 

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #430 on: May 08, 2014, 03:31:47 PM »
My wife was at the park with our son and daughter the other day.  A friend of our daughter's was at the park.  They went to the same day care.  The other girl no longer goes there (will again for camp this summer).

The mother is a stay at home mom.
The girl was there with a full time nanny.
The son goes to day care twice a week.
The daughter will go to camp four days a week.
Both days cares are of the expensive variety.

I really wonder what the father does.  Apparently the mother can't be home with both kids at once.

Sunnymo

• Stubble
« Reply #431 on: May 09, 2014, 07:54:01 AM »
Partly overheard on FB/partly in person...

BIL (husband's brother) and his wife: when they got married:
*Had one engagement party in his home town with a 'wishing well' for cash gifts and asked guests to bring pot luck
*Had another engagement party in her home town with a 'wishing well' for cash gifts and asked guests to bring pot luck
*She had a bridal shower/kitchen shower with a 'wishing well' for cash gifts
*At their wedding reception they had .... a 'wishing well' for cash gifts (was I surprised? No!)

In each case they said this was to "help us set up our home". WTF he had bought the place at least a year before they met & she had been living out of home for several years. In reality it went towards their wedding - he is a self employed 'business coach' and she a self employed musician. They invited 300 to the wedding and 120 to the reception for 'close family and friends'.

I have visited their place since the wedding and the only changes I can see is one IKEA closet and a lot of shonky shelves that her brother built - if they used all their wishing well money on those improvements (!) they were heavily ripped off.

The same couple...

Last year the musician wife decided to record a new album so they launched an appeal via GoFundMe and sent to their entire FB friend list (about 700 each). We are in Australia and they decided to record in Nashville TN and wanted to raise $10K towards the project. One of the specific items was to pay to renew passports - if you can't even afford a new passport why are you going? They got back from that trip having recorded half the album as planned, then they decided to record the rest in Nashville as well. So... relaunched their GoFundMe appeal asking for another $10k.

I admire them in wanting to pursue her dream but they can't just expect that others will pay for it - plan and save (is it so hard?)

At the upcoming album launch the tickets are free but 'we will be taking up an offering' GRRRRRR!

I have got to the point of gift fatigue and and wondering how many times they can dip in to the same well. I think others have got to this point as well, of the second $10k target they have raised less than $1k. To make up the shortfall they sold a car, they had a compact car with great mileage and a small SUV, no prizes  for guessing which one got sold - the little one!

For all their requests we have:
*attended one engagement party and given a card with maybe $20 or $50
*given a $40 gift card for the bridal shower
*bought an item off the wedding registry
*given them $50 US as spending money to use while in the US for the recording sessions

I have convinced my husband that we have hit the limit in relation to this couple - we have our own financial pressures; one income, paying a mortgage (no other debts) and going through IVF. Not once have we asked for a handout, this is our dream and we are paying for it ourselves.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #432 on: May 09, 2014, 09:17:58 AM »
GoFundMe is an awful website, the rare few things I have invited to donate to have made me want to punch holes in wall. I have never seen it used for anything of value and they dare take a huge cut of donations.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #433 on: May 09, 2014, 10:34:24 AM »

I have visited their place since the wedding and the only changes I can see is one IKEA closet and a lot of shonky shelves that her brother built - if they used all their wishing well money on those improvements (!) they were heavily ripped off.

This is my new favorite word - now to find a chance to use it, thanks!

And those people sound like they suck - as in, literally suck as much cash as possible from everyone they know.

I'm at the point that I refuse to buy wedding gifts for anyone unless they are truly just starting out, early to mid-twenties.  I was so disgusted when I got the invite to my 40 year old brother's second wedding (he and now wife are at over very close to comfortable FI) listing where they were registered, and then a plug for cash to fix up their swimming pool.  I let it piss me off for a solid week.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #434 on: May 09, 2014, 10:45:04 AM »

And those people sound like they suck - as in, literally suck as much cash as possible from everyone they know.

I'm at the point that I refuse to buy wedding gifts for anyone unless they are truly just starting out, early to mid-twenties.  I was so disgusted when I got the invite to my 40 year old brother's second wedding (he and now wife are at over very close to comfortable FI) listing where they were registered, and then a plug for cash to fix up their swimming pool.  I let it piss me off for a solid week.

It seems a common theme on MMM.  Gift registries aren't a "Hey look, we are celebrating BUY ME SOMETHING" they are a "if you are going to, here is what we need"

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #435 on: May 09, 2014, 12:50:58 PM »
^Yes, if the bride and groom aren't registered, I'm sure some guests are lost.  So, some people just register out of social obligation, not because they are looking for a handout.  Remember, even extremely wealthy people who don't need anything still register when they are getting married (or for a first baby.) 

I agree that the "wishing well" is asking for a handout and really shouldn't be used except in the case of a very young couple who really are just starting out.

If I ever get remarried, I'd be tempted to register only for sporting goods and gardening supplies.  Oh, and my other half sometimes moans that my unmatched and flimsy goodwill silverware is not up to snuff, so maybe just register for that.  Is that tacky?  Probably, but it would give people who insist on buying a gift some ideas.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #436 on: May 09, 2014, 01:17:29 PM »
Oh, I don't care that they registered.  I know that many people want to send a gift and would ask about a registry.  It was the ask for cash that really irked me.  They just bought a $600K house for cash and were on a hiatus from working two lucrative careers.  And there was no disclaimer about "your company is the best gift" or "we want for nothing" or whatever.  The tone was "here is what to give us."

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #437 on: May 09, 2014, 02:55:53 PM »
I'm okay with "No Boxed Gifts" on invites for things like a wedding.

Gift cards and cash really go a lot further in helping a newly married couple set up life.

But 4 parties to ask for cash is being too greedy to me.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #438 on: May 09, 2014, 04:00:45 PM »
Oh, I don't care that they registered.  I know that many people want to send a gift and would ask about a registry.  It was the ask for cash that really irked me.  They just bought a $600K house for cash and were on a hiatus from working two lucrative careers.  And there was no disclaimer about "your company is the best gift" or "we want for nothing" or whatever.  The tone was "here is what to give us."

I don't need anything... I want cash.  Nothing is fine too.

Sunnymo

• Stubble
« Reply #439 on: May 09, 2014, 06:16:15 PM »

You're welcome! I was actually going to use 'dodgy' or its more descriptive cousin 'dodgy arse' but wasn't sure how they would translate from Australia to the US.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #440 on: May 09, 2014, 07:02:49 PM »

You're welcome! I was actually going to use 'dodgy' or its more descriptive cousin 'dodgy arse' but wasn't sure how they would translate from Australia to the US.
We use 'bunted' ('b-on-ted') up here to describe something that's dodgy :P

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #441 on: May 09, 2014, 07:10:17 PM »

We use 'bunted' ('b-on-ted') up here to describe something that's dodgy :P

here in the US I like "janky," but it never caught on 100%. :)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #442 on: May 10, 2014, 01:12:59 PM »
And it's cousin "janky-ass".

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #443 on: May 11, 2014, 06:21:16 PM »
I can't wait to see how this one turns out:

(paraphrased)
(poster was just complaining about getting his wages garnished for some court/rehab related issues)

Poster: Feels good to be a lottery winner, and I didn't even have to enter! $10,000 will get me a car and pay off my fines to get my license back.

Posters Dad: Be careful. Make sure you don't need to give them any banking details or pay any fees first.

Poster: I think I know how to take care of myself dad!

It must have worked out. I saw the pics of the new car on FB. Bought a used lexus. Think it was cash.

* update today *
Poster - "$350 commission to whoever can sell my car"
friend - "selling already? you just bought it!"
poster - "im selling it to buy the same car, just want to switch to a 5 speed"
friend - "oh awesome!"

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #444 on: May 11, 2014, 06:42:14 PM »
* update today *
friend - "selling already? you just bought it!"
poster - "im selling it to buy the same car, just want to switch to a 5 speed"
friend - "oh awesome!"

Obviously short-sighted since he just bought the auto, but it's always correct to switch to a manual transmission from an automatic.

Of course, I'm a car guy, so YMMV. :)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 06:46:19 PM by Winston »

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #445 on: May 11, 2014, 07:29:30 PM »

*whomever*, damnit.   

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #446 on: May 11, 2014, 07:51:28 PM »

*whomever*, damnit.   

whom cares?

OP sell the car

Stacheintraining

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #447 on: May 11, 2014, 08:16:18 PM »
Someone just posted on Facebook a $225 necklace her husband got her for mother's day. Just this winter she had posted a status about the heat being shut off in their place because they didn't have enough money to pay for it. I just don't get it....

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #448 on: May 11, 2014, 09:03:39 PM »
Someone just posted on Facebook a $225 necklace her husband got her for mother's day. Just this winter she had posted a status about the heat being shut off in their place because they didn't have enough money to pay for it. I just don't get it....

Jeez, don't you watch the commercials?  The Le Vian collection will warm your heart.  Who needs actual heat when you can put on a diamond necklace to keep warm?  Kids and anyone else in the house be damned!

Kepler

• Stubble
« Reply #449 on: May 12, 2014, 03:24:16 AM »

*whomever*, damnit.

It'd be 'whomever' if the phrase had stopped at 'to whomever'.

Since the phrase went on, it should be parsed as 'to [whoever can sell my car]', where 'whoever' is the subject of 'can sell' etc.

I can't come up with any excuse for the rest of his reasoning, however... :-)