Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081877 times)

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #3900 on: February 24, 2016, 01:51:31 PM »
Here's the latest from a friend who's perpetually poor, somewhat due to circumstances, but mostly due to bad choices.

Tons of posts about how she hates the apartment where they live, and grumbling that no affordable apartment will allow dogs (they got a new puppy several months ago).  Finally a heart-wrenching post about having to give their puppy to a friend, which was one of their smarter choices.

Friend's elementary school diabetic child has a seizure.  First thing friend puts up is a gofundme page for 10k (!) to get her daughter a service dog.  It gets maybe $40 in several weeks.  A whiny post ensues, and several friends comment with resources that could help pay for the dog.  No response from friend, possibly since most placement agencies want a seizure disorder diagnosis for a service animal placement, and child has had only 1 seizure without any identifiable cause.

Friend's child has another seizure.  Another plea for service dog.  Then someone brings up the whole no-affordable-apartment-with-dogs thing, and friend gleefully posts back that apartments have to allow service dogs, and isn't it a nice loophole so they can finally have the dog they want?
It blows my mind that people don't understand that service animals are not pets.
If you want to have a dog as a service dog for a medical condition, or even as a guard dog for your home, then that dog is no longer a family pet. They work for you.
Every minute that they are awake they are on duty. If you try and turn a working dog into a pet (or a pet into a working animal) then you will either diminish the animal's ability to do their job effectively, or you will be disappointed that your "pet" doesn't behave as playfully/affectionately/energetically as you would like.
You can't ask a dog to be a happy playful family pet AND do their job as a service animal at the same time. Something has to give. So no, if they get a service dog, they CANNOT finally have the dog they want since they clearly wanted a dog as a pet and nothing more.

[/rant]

I used to be a security supervisor for the Light Rail in Phoenix - you wouldn't believe the amount of people we'd see with "service dogs" (usually a pit cross with a rope leash, or something similar)...because service dogs were allowed on the train, but pets weren't.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3901 on: February 24, 2016, 02:03:10 PM »
Here's the latest from a friend who's perpetually poor, somewhat due to circumstances, but mostly due to bad choices.

Tons of posts about how she hates the apartment where they live, and grumbling that no affordable apartment will allow dogs (they got a new puppy several months ago).  Finally a heart-wrenching post about having to give their puppy to a friend, which was one of their smarter choices.

Friend's elementary school diabetic child has a seizure.  First thing friend puts up is a gofundme page for 10k (!) to get her daughter a service dog.  It gets maybe $40 in several weeks.  A whiny post ensues, and several friends comment with resources that could help pay for the dog.  No response from friend, possibly since most placement agencies want a seizure disorder diagnosis for a service animal placement, and child has had only 1 seizure without any identifiable cause.

Friend's child has another seizure.  Another plea for service dog.  Then someone brings up the whole no-affordable-apartment-with-dogs thing, and friend gleefully posts back that apartments have to allow service dogs, and isn't it a nice loophole so they can finally have the dog they want?
It blows my mind that people don't understand that service animals are not pets.
If you want to have a dog as a service dog for a medical condition, or even as a guard dog for your home, then that dog is no longer a family pet. They work for you.
Every minute that they are awake they are on duty. If you try and turn a working dog into a pet (or a pet into a working animal) then you will either diminish the animal's ability to do their job effectively, or you will be disappointed that your "pet" doesn't behave as playfully/affectionately/energetically as you would like.
You can't ask a dog to be a happy playful family pet AND do their job as a service animal at the same time. Something has to give. So no, if they get a service dog, they CANNOT finally have the dog they want since they clearly wanted a dog as a pet and nothing more.

[/rant]

+1

When I was in grad school, there was a blind girl who was frequently in the gym at the same time as me, and she has a beautiful service dog that I wanted nothing more than to run over to and love on, but I know he was trained and on the clock, so I restrained myself. Some people I'm sure did not make that distinction.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3902 on: February 24, 2016, 02:58:49 PM »
beautiful service dog that I wanted nothing more than to run over to and love on, but I know he was trained and on the clock, so I restrained myself. Some people I'm sure did not make that distinction.

Yeah it can be tough to explain to people, but when the vest is on the dog is working. I know a guy that would be very rude when people tried to pet his service dog and he would tell people, "How would you feel someone came up to and poked you in the eye?"

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #3903 on: February 24, 2016, 04:35:26 PM »

Horse people be crazy.

Agreed. I, too, am a horse person. They are definitely the least-mustachian thing about my life, but they are my true passion and what I save my money for (and retirement, obviously). But people will do the craziest things and throw away huge amounts of money. I recently had another facebook friend who came home to find a nail through her horse's frog. She took him to the vet and was told if they did surgery he'd have a 25% chance of being pasture sound. She's going through a divorce and has two small kids and did the surgery!!! She posted on facebook about how it was expensive and she didn't know how she was going to make it work but that she wasn't going do a Go Fund Me. I saw her mom made one for her later though.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #3904 on: February 24, 2016, 04:40:00 PM »

Yeah it can be tough to explain to people, but when the vest is on the dog is working. I know a guy that would be very rude when people tried to pet his service dog and he would tell people, "How would you feel someone came up to and poked you in the eye?"

I worked for a judge who had a service dog. His rule was "if you wouldn't pet the judge, don't pet the dog." He did have a retired service dog he brought to work that we were allowed to play with.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3905 on: February 24, 2016, 05:09:52 PM »

[/rant]

I used to be a security supervisor for the Light Rail in Phoenix - you wouldn't believe the amount of people we'd see with "service dogs" (usually a pit cross with a rope leash, or something similar)...because service dogs were allowed on the train, but pets weren't.

I used to know someone who had extensive experience with several different kinds of working service dogs, both from the user side and the training side. I remember telling her about this really awfully behaved lady and her dog that I saw in Walgreens. I got two sentences into the story before she said, "Fake service dog! Fake service dog!" It blew my mind, and then I discovered that you can buy service dog vests on the internet to "allow" you to take your pet on the airplane for free. Gaaaaaaaah.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3906 on: February 24, 2016, 06:56:42 PM »
Back when interest rates were higher people would open cc's with 0% intro APRs (and no fees for balance transfer checks) and stick the balance into a savings account.
I'm sure some people still do this, but with standard savings accounts at 1%, it's not worth the effort. Now if you put it in a rewards checking account, which can earn 4-5%, then it's a different story. The problem with those is that they're not scalable - they cap the balance that can earn the high rate of interest.
The better comparison is stock market returns, real estate cap rates, etc.
This is why I'm still postponing the complete payoff of my consumer debt, FWIW. Most is at 0%, a little is at 2-4%, and I'm reliably pulling double digits on investments. Right before retiring I'll start putting those returns into a rapid payoff plan.
My partnership is putting half the DP for an upcoming buy on credit - some from a private loan at 6% and some on a 12% LOC. It's all paid out of rents in 5-6mos and the math still works out.

Yes this is true, but it's also riskier because if there's a market downturn close enough to when your 0% promo period is up, you have to find the money from elsewhere. I'm sure many people can swing that. But everybody has their own risk tolerance.

coffeehound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3907 on: February 24, 2016, 09:15:29 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

If that's the rudest the guy got, well....I think that's a great question to ask people who interfere with actual, real, working service dogs. It's a nice analogy - 'this dog is my eyes - why are you poking me in the eye'?

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3908 on: February 24, 2016, 09:30:18 PM »
Horses have frogs?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3909 on: February 24, 2016, 09:38:01 PM »
Horses have frogs?

Yes, that's why they can jump so high.  ;)

The whole triangular part is the frog.  Why it's called that, I couldn't tell you.

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
« Reply #3910 on: February 25, 2016, 01:03:21 PM »

Horse people be crazy.

Agreed. I, too, am a horse person. They are definitely the least-mustachian thing about my life, but they are my true passion and what I save my money for (and retirement, obviously). But people will do the craziest things and throw away huge amounts of money. I recently had another facebook friend who came home to find a nail through her horse's frog. She took him to the vet and was told if they did surgery he'd have a 25% chance of being pasture sound. She's going through a divorce and has two small kids and did the surgery!!! She posted on facebook about how it was expensive and she didn't know how she was going to make it work but that she wasn't going do a Go Fund Me. I saw her mom made one for her later though.

This reminds me of my in laws unable to make mortgage payments for their primary property but paying for the horse living on said property. It's okay though, they pay less now that they've refinanced to a 40 year mortgage...they will have paid for a mortgage on their property for almost 60 years.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3911 on: February 25, 2016, 02:14:27 PM »

I worked for a judge who had a service dog. His rule was "if you wouldn't pet the judge, don't pet the dog." He did have a retired service dog he brought to work that we were allowed to play with.

Oh my gosh, like in Alice's Restaurant!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3912 on: February 25, 2016, 02:16:31 PM »
Horses have frogs?

Yes, that's why they can jump so high.  ;)

The whole triangular part is the frog.  Why it's called that, I couldn't tell you.

Because it looks like a frog! Learned something new today.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3913 on: February 26, 2016, 08:32:18 PM »
Thanks horsepoor!  I was trying to figure out how autocorrect got that one wrong. Instead I learned something new!

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #3914 on: February 27, 2016, 10:53:10 AM »
The friggin LuLaRoe crap is all over the newsfeed.  It seems like every week another person is having an 'online popup party' for $40+ simple shirts and $60+ dresses and skirts.  The company has a very successful business model:  limited styles, but tons of limited-number prints, and MLM distribution with sellers paying for all inventory up front.  Their biggest seller is $15+ leggings in the most awful prints.  Everyone swears the clothes are super comfy, but IMHO they are incredibly ugly and usually unflattering.  I'm also still not convinced leggings are pants.  The below pic popped up today from a seller, with a comment about it being "one of her favorite outfits". 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 10:55:35 AM by Kaydedid »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3915 on: February 27, 2016, 01:23:06 PM »
The friggin LuLaRoe crap is all over the newsfeed.  It seems like every week another person is having an 'online popup party' for $40+ simple shirts and $60+ dresses and skirts.  The company has a very successful business model:  limited styles, but tons of limited-number prints, and MLM distribution with sellers paying for all inventory up front.  Their biggest seller is $15+ leggings in the most awful prints.  Everyone swears the clothes are super comfy, but IMHO they are incredibly ugly and usually unflattering.  I'm also still not convinced leggings are pants.  The below pic popped up today from a seller, with a comment about it being "one of her favorite outfits".

I don't mean to be nasty, but if they think that looks good, their sense of style is very questionable.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3916 on: February 27, 2016, 03:56:11 PM »
One of my friends posted today that she's upset her phone carrier no longer does upgrades. She would rather go back to having a contract and a phone upgrade (amortized indefinitely in the contract) than buy the phone outright and pay less each month.  She is otherwise a very intelligent professional, but her need for convenience is trumping her math skills in this case.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #3917 on: February 27, 2016, 04:55:38 PM »

I don't mean to be nasty, but if they think that looks good, their sense of style is very questionable.

I get that everyone has their own style, which is great!  However, the price really doesn't seem to match the quality-these look more like thrift store finds, especially with the fit.  The biggest annoyance is the constant invites and chatter.

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #3918 on: February 27, 2016, 05:49:21 PM »
One of my friends posted today that she's upset her phone carrier no longer does upgrades. She would rather go back to having a contract and a phone upgrade (amortized indefinitely in the contract) than buy the phone outright and pay less each month.  She is otherwise a very intelligent professional, but her need for convenience is trumping her math skills in this case.

I worked with a woman like this. She seemingly had a huge blind spot when it came to money. It was infuriating to hear some variation of "look at my shiney new on contract phone" then hear her complain about how "poor" she was every single pay day.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3919 on: February 27, 2016, 10:20:02 PM »

I get that everyone has their own style, which is great!  However, the price really doesn't seem to match the quality-these look more like thrift store finds, especially with the fit.  The biggest annoyance is the constant invites and chatter.

Yeah, I'm certainly not the most stylish lady, but I have to say: (1) That outfit looks mismatched -- did she let her child pick out random pieces of clothing?  (2) Even as separates, I don't like either one -- especially those horizontal stripes on a skirt.  (3) It has a cheap-looking quality, but obviously I can't really be sure of that from the photo.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3920 on: February 28, 2016, 03:11:17 PM »

I worked with a woman like this. She seemingly had a huge blind spot when it came to money. It was infuriating to hear some variation of "look at my shiney new on contract phone" then hear her complain about how "poor" she was every single pay day.

Yeah, my plan is split between me and my parents, and it took work to convince them to change their contracts and buy their phones outright. They resisted until I showed them the numbers, we pay ___ now, which is ___ more than we will pay once we get the new rate, so that saves us ____ in a year, which is more than enough to buy a new phone.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3921 on: February 29, 2016, 08:35:38 AM »
I have one friend that I only really keep for her value in this thread. Her latest thing is involvement in a MLM scam, which she posts about daily. This morning's gem:

82% of women who make over $100,000 a year, do it through a home-based business.

That doesn't even pass a smell test. Even if everyone in MLM did that well (which they can't, because it's a scam) there can't possibly be four times as many women in "home-based business" full-time as there are women who are doctors, lawyers, accountants, engineers, professors, pharmacists, executives, middle- and upper-managers, and probably a whole bunch of other miscellaneous jobs that make over $100,000 per year.

Heck, I met this woman through work originally, and if she had done well at the job she was in when I met her, she'd be at $100,000/year by now. But she got pushed out essentially for laziness, and then laid off from the place she went, so she's now in MLM. And as far as I can tell, she's still lazy, so I really really doubt she's going to be successful at this.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3922 on: February 29, 2016, 08:54:43 AM »
I have one friend that I only really keep for her value in this thread.
That is hilariously mean. Wow.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3923 on: February 29, 2016, 09:34:18 AM »
That MLM stuff is the worst. I'd rather see a thousand poorly-Photoshopped Tea Party memes than one person trying to sell fingernail stickers or "essential oils".

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3924 on: February 29, 2016, 09:51:29 AM »

I don't tell her that! I'm not a monster. :) I just would have unfriended her long ago for her rambling rants about how anyone who is pro-choice must hate all babies ([picture of cute baby], "If you think she's cute, you're pro-life."), how Obama is a despot and how we need to build a wall and not let any foreigners in. But, in my selflessness, I decided to not unfriend her and instead share her ridiculousness for the entertainment of everyone in this thread.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3925 on: February 29, 2016, 10:00:19 AM »
I'm seeing all these ads in e-mail and FB about "celebrating" Leap Day. Mostly acting as though it's some magic extra day, like we have an 8-day week or a 3-day weekend or something. And therefore we should spend money, because that's what marketers think you should do on literally every occasion.

Dear world: Leap Day is not a holiday. Or anything. It's just a day. Stop trying to use it to sell me shit. Thank you.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3926 on: February 29, 2016, 10:23:36 AM »
I'm seeing all these ads in e-mail and FB about "celebrating" Leap Day. Mostly acting as though it's some magic extra day, like we have an 8-day week or a 3-day weekend or something. And therefore we should spend money, because that's what marketers think you should do on literally every occasion.

Dear world: Leap Day is not a holiday. Or anything. It's just a day. Stop trying to use it to sell me shit. Thank you.

True, but I do like your idea to use it as a 3-day weekend!  Let's do that going forward -- February 29th is a bonus day of rest and relaxation (or whatever else you want to do with it).

FIREwoman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3927 on: February 29, 2016, 11:23:34 AM »

True, but I do like your idea to use it as a 3-day weekend!  Let's do that going forward -- February 29th is a bonus day of rest and relaxation (or whatever else you want to do with it).

by BF took a vacation day today. "we get an extra day this year, i'm not spending it working!". he's spending it watching tradecentre. and yes, he's Canadian.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #3928 on: February 29, 2016, 11:25:31 AM »

I don't tell her that! I'm not a monster. :) I just would have unfriended her long ago for her rambling rants about how anyone who is pro-choice must hate all babies ([picture of cute baby], "If you think she's cute, you're pro-life."), how Obama is a despot and how we need to build a wall and not let any foreigners in. But, in my selflessness, I decided to not unfriend her and instead share her ridiculousness for the entertainment of everyone in this thread.

Can I have her as a friend too? She sounds hilarious.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3929 on: February 29, 2016, 11:51:48 AM »

Can I have her as a friend too? She sounds hilarious.

There must be something wrong with me because I generally don't find babies to be cute. There are a few that are, but most I don't know. Of course, I don't say anything aloud, especially not to the parents or family members.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3930 on: February 29, 2016, 01:07:05 PM »

by BF took a vacation day today. "we get an extra day this year, i'm not spending it working!". he's spending it watching tradecentre. and yes, he's Canadian.

HAHA I saw two posts on this today:

1. Everyone who is working today, that gets paid twice monthly, you are working for free today.(not sure the logic but thought it was funny) http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/leap-day-compensation-semi-monthly-payments-annual-salary-1.3454536

2. This was an ad for a TV sales company asking everyone to thank them for giving one more day this year so they can come in and buy a TV... Because of course... some sale is on.

edited to ad link to article
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 01:10:10 PM by dycker1978 »

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3931 on: February 29, 2016, 01:09:08 PM »
There must be something wrong with me because I generally don't find babies to be cute. There are a few that are, but most I don't know. Of course, I don't say anything aloud, especially not to the parents or family members.

lol - not all babies are cute though. A lot of people have ugly babies.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3932 on: February 29, 2016, 01:10:42 PM »

HAHA I saw two posts on this today:

1. Everyone who is working today, that gets paid twice monthly, you are working for free today.(not sure the logic but thought it was funny) http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/leap-day-compensation-semi-monthly-payments-annual-salary-1.3454536

2. This was an ad for a TV sales company asking everyone to thank them for giving one more day this year so they can come in and buy a TV... Because of course... some sale is on.

edited to ad link to article

haha, I just got an email promoting 29 cent shipping for today only.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3933 on: February 29, 2016, 01:33:50 PM »

Doesn't that just mean February is slightly less generous than usual?

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #3934 on: February 29, 2016, 02:10:53 PM »

Kids are like farts: you're really proud of your own.. when it's someone else's it's sometimes funny but mostly just disgusting.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3935 on: February 29, 2016, 03:02:40 PM »

Alot more cute puppies and kittens than cute babies IMHO. ;)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3936 on: February 29, 2016, 03:09:21 PM »

Alot more cute puppies and kittens than cute babies IMHO. ;)

Completely agree, there are few things better in life than playing with a puppy imo. I saw a 4 month labrador just the other day, I didn't want to leave, just had to stay there and keep playing with such a sweet puppy.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3937 on: February 29, 2016, 03:52:49 PM »
Dogs are a good yardstick of "good person" for me. If a person treats their dog well then I might expect them to be good people. If they fall for every puppy and then ignore it as it gets older - warning bells. A dog is a lifetime commitment but I've been surprised at how many don't see it that way.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #3938 on: February 29, 2016, 05:38:49 PM »
Thanks horsepoor!  I was trying to figure out how autocorrect got that one wrong. Instead I learned something new!

LOL! I knew horsepoor would know what I was talking about, guess I didn't think how odd it would sound to everyone else :)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3939 on: February 29, 2016, 07:15:11 PM »
Dogs are a good yardstick of "good person" for me. If a person treats their dog well then I might expect them to be good people. If they fall for every puppy and then ignore it as it gets older - warning bells. A dog is a lifetime commitment but I've been surprised at how many don't see it that way.

Yeah that's a good point. I learned that there is a HUGE difference between a dog lover and a dog owner. Some day I would like to get a dog, but if I do it likely won't be a puppy, they are adorably cute but a ton of work, instead I plan to see what's currently available in a shelter.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3940 on: February 29, 2016, 08:02:43 PM »

Yeah that's a good point. I learned that there is a HUGE difference between a dog lover and a dog owner. Some day I would like to get a dog, but if I do it likely won't be a puppy, they are adorably cute but a ton of work, instead I plan to see what's currently available in a shelter.

Totally agree with Jethrosnose, and that is so good of you, MgoSam!  I visit our local humane society a fair amount and whenever I do, I make sure to spend some time visiting the adult dogs, not just the puppies and cats.  One of my friends set a good example for me -- she took me the first time and spent probably an hour visiting to make sure that she engaged each adult dog who wasn't sleeping.

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3941 on: February 29, 2016, 08:15:06 PM »

You need to watch more 30 Rock!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcRYnmYJNHc

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3942 on: March 01, 2016, 12:29:52 AM »
Saw this on facebook last night.

She was asking if it was better to get a pay-day loan for $1000 or a $1000 credit card for spending money for a holiday. She wouldn't listen to anyone who told her not to get a loan at all. Though most people were suggesting she go to the bank and get out a loan.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3943 on: March 01, 2016, 01:06:53 AM »
Expect the fabulous vacation photos, followed by whining about the repayments, in 3, 2, 1...

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3944 on: March 01, 2016, 01:16:48 AM »
Expect the fabulous vacation photos, followed by whining about the repayments, in 3, 2, 1...

my thoughts exactly, why would you rely on credit for holiday spending

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3945 on: March 01, 2016, 01:17:25 AM »
"I just don't trust myself with that much money..."

W.T.F.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3946 on: March 01, 2016, 01:19:40 AM »

W.T.F.

a few people suggested getting the $5k bank loan, and then putting $4k straight back on to it, effectively making it a $1k loan and then just paying it off, but she didnt like that idea as if she had $5k she knows she wouldn't be able to put it straight into the bank as it would be too tempting

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #3947 on: March 01, 2016, 05:22:11 AM »

W.T.F.

a few people suggested getting the $5k bank loan, and then putting $4k straight back on to it, effectively making it a $1k loan and then just paying it off, but she didnt like that idea as if she had $5k she knows she wouldn't be able to put it straight into the bank as it would be too tempting
Maybe, I'm naive, but: I simply decline to believe that anyone can have that little self-control.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3948 on: March 01, 2016, 05:38:48 AM »

Totally agree with Jethrosnose, and that is so good of you, MgoSam!  I visit our local humane society a fair amount and whenever I do, I make sure to spend some time visiting the adult dogs, not just the puppies and cats.  One of my friends set a good example for me -- she took me the first time and spent probably an hour visiting to make sure that she engaged each adult dog who wasn't sleeping.
Our dogs are rescues. I've tried to get others to do the same when they say they are going to get a dog. So far, all have opted to pay a breeder a LOT of $$$$$ for a specific breed puppy. Sigh....
We love our dogs. There is a Kliban cartoon that has a building with a big sign saying "USED CURS".
I have a friend whose golden retriever was just put down for cancer, and she has been devastated.  She told me yesterday she is looking at spending £800 on a new golden retriever puppy.  I haven't had the heart to tell her that 60% of goldies die of cancer.

My dog was an adult rescue and is officially The Best Dog in All the World.  Any future dogs would also be adult rescues.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3949 on: March 01, 2016, 06:45:48 AM »

W.T.F.

This was my favorite part:  "This isn't for people to try to talk me out of it btw, please just comment if you have any helpful advice!"  Self-contradictory.