Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082610 times)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #3850 on: February 05, 2016, 08:46:28 PM »
She refuses to go a week without blow dry, @$60/ea, thats $60x52 = $3,120.  How does she come up with $2880? Does she skip 4 weeks a year (despite claiming she refuses to skip a week), or is she just bad at math?

I am going to guess bad at math

I bet she calculated it as four times a month instead of once a week. $60 x 4 times a month x 12 times a year = $2880.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3851 on: February 05, 2016, 10:10:30 PM »
She refuses to go a week without blow dry, @$60/ea, thats $60x52 = $3,120.  How does she come up with $2880? Does she skip 4 weeks a year (despite claiming she refuses to skip a week), or is she just bad at math?

I bet she calculated it as four times a month instead of once a week. $60 x 4 times a month x 12 times a year = $2880.

yes most likely.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3852 on: February 05, 2016, 10:53:34 PM »

I know someone who did that, only with retirement expenses (compared monthly need vs 24 paychecks instead of  26).  Oops.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3853 on: February 06, 2016, 12:57:44 AM »
And oil is $30 a barrel and taking
Brent Crude or WTI might be $30, but Albertan bitumen isn't - even assuming you could get it to a refinery.
'I remember in 2004 a C-Suite exec at Suncor was telling a small group of us that "as long as oil breaks $40 a barrel, we will make money".  It had only broken that point for a short while when he said it.

Since then, though, with the high price, I a certain that they have invested in expansion and some more expensive, but much cleaner, extraction methods....

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3854 on: February 06, 2016, 01:23:33 PM »

Ah that makes sense.  Apparently ok at arithmetic, but bad at thinking things through logically.  I suppose that is self evident from her facebook post though.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3855 on: February 07, 2016, 09:57:12 AM »

Ah that makes sense.  Apparently ok at arithmetic, but bad at thinking things through logically.  I suppose that is self evident from her facebook post though.

I would bet my "extra" January paycheck that she's one of those people who's always SO SURPRISED by a 5th paycheck (or third) in a month and blows it on random things instead of using it to make her financial position stronger.

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #3856 on: February 07, 2016, 11:59:44 PM »
I saw this on Facebook and couldn't resist FTFY (Fixed That For You)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3857 on: February 08, 2016, 12:15:37 AM »

I would bet my "extra" January paycheck that she's one of those people who's always SO SURPRISED by a 5th paycheck (or third) in a month and blows it on random things instead of using it to make her financial position stronger.

I feel like in Australia are paid fortnightly anyway, so this extra paycheck thing doesnt seem to register for most people anyway unfortunately.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3858 on: February 16, 2016, 04:29:56 PM »
And I forgot to add that they are thinking of buying the house they currently rent in an expensive resort town, but they of course have no money saved for a down payment and are discussing rent to own options with the current owner. A 4 bedroom house for basically just her and the dogs (because the husband and son are working away 2 weeks at a time). I told her to at least make sure she gets an appraisal done with the down turn in the housing prices and negotiate, don't just settle for whatever owner states is the price.

And the best: the cherokee fits in the garage, which the truck never did. So now she has to shovel the driveway. Sigh.

So she'll be buying a brand-new riding snowblower soon?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3859 on: February 16, 2016, 04:55:38 PM »
And I forgot to add that they are thinking of buying the house they currently rent in an expensive resort town, but they of course have no money saved for a down payment and are discussing rent to own options with the current owner. A 4 bedroom house for basically just her and the dogs (because the husband and son are working away 2 weeks at a time). I told her to at least make sure she gets an appraisal done with the down turn in the housing prices and negotiate, don't just settle for whatever owner states is the price.

And the best: the cherokee fits in the garage, which the truck never did. So now she has to shovel the driveway. Sigh.

So a bunch of us probably just had to go and see if riding snowblowers were a thing :-)

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3860 on: February 18, 2016, 04:38:39 AM »

So a bunch of us probably just had to go and see if riding snowblowers were a thing :-)

I would have to google it in Incognito mode because I would feel too much shame.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3861 on: February 19, 2016, 04:09:08 PM »
I thought we had an antimustachian "around the web" thread, but I can't find it, so I'll post it here.

This was a survey question I got today.

"I consciously limit my spend on groceries so I can eat out in restaurants more"

It made me sad. I mean, it's good that they are evening out the budget and all, but if you have to reduce groceries to eat out... you're not getting 1:1 here, so you're missing something in the nutrition department.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3862 on: February 20, 2016, 05:06:10 PM »
Friend of mine posted today that he is working at the Barclay Center ... he posted a pic which shows carnival rides, multiple stages for live music, etc. He mentioned one of the bands and the last time they were in town they played Madison Square Garden.

The occasion? A bar mitzvah.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3863 on: February 20, 2016, 05:19:29 PM »
Friend of mine posted today that he is working at the Barclay Center ... he posted a pic which shows carnival rides, multiple stages for live music, etc. He mentioned one of the bands and the last time they were in town they played Madison Square Garden.

Thats crazy!

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3864 on: February 21, 2016, 02:00:25 PM »
Friend commented in another friend's post that she was focused on saving $7.5 million so she could retire young.  I'm just boggled at the idea that she thinks she needs $7.5 million. 

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3865 on: February 21, 2016, 02:33:25 PM »
Friend commented in another friend's post that she was focused on saving $7.5 million so she could retire young.  I'm just boggled at the idea that she thinks she needs $7.5 million.

So she spends $300k a year? Or does she just not understand the 4% rule?

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3866 on: February 21, 2016, 02:48:49 PM »
In my six-figure job there are definitely married couples earning 300K and spending it all.  COL is high in Manhattan, but not that high.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3867 on: February 21, 2016, 04:58:16 PM »

You mean it's 4% A YEAR ?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3868 on: February 21, 2016, 05:14:57 PM »

Hmm should I be asking if you understand the 4% rule?

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3869 on: February 21, 2016, 06:38:16 PM »

It was either; you save up a lot of money and the bank charges you 4% fee every year to look after it, or you need to save a LOT of money because you only get to keep 4% of it - I fell asleep in the financial adviser's seminar

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3870 on: February 21, 2016, 08:47:03 PM »

It was either; you save up a lot of money and the bank charges you 4% fee every year to look after it, or you need to save a LOT of money because you only get to keep 4% of it - I fell asleep in the financial adviser's seminar

I don't know whether to think this is trolling or genuine. Because I can't imagine anybody in their right mind accepting a whopping FOUR PERCENT annual fee. That's ridiculous.
I also don't see how you could end up only being able to keep 4% of your money. Please do tell where the other 96% of your money is going. Because I want to be the guy receiving that 96%.

But anyway, in case this is in fact genuine...

I am surprised that a someone who is interested in FIRE and has almost 1000 posts on this forum is unaware of what the 4% rule actually is.

Here's the study: https://www.aaii.com/journal/article/retirement-savings-choosing-a-withdrawal-rate-that-is-sustainable

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3871 on: February 21, 2016, 08:51:31 PM »

What are you on right now, and can I get some?

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3872 on: February 21, 2016, 09:40:02 PM »

I really have no idea--she's a fairly distant friend at this point, I haven't seen her in 5+ years, so I didn't really feel FB was the appropriate forum to start discussing early retirement strategies (especially as the friend whose wall the thread occurred on has six figure student loan debt and therefore and entirely different set of financial concerns).  Given her profession and the area she lives in, I would be surprised if she and her husband currently make $300k/yr, though I could certainly believe they are approaching or exceeding $200k.  From what I do remember of the days when we were closer, my guess is that she is using something much more conservative than the 4% rule and aiming for a higher level of spending than most MMM types. But really, unless she is earning multiple times what I think she probably is, I guess I'm not really seeing how she's going to GET to 7.5 million within any sort of early retirement time frame.  Maybe she's assuming everyone else will be working until 80 and that she'll be retiring young if she can get out before 70...

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
« Reply #3873 on: February 21, 2016, 11:06:07 PM »

This sadness reminds me of an advertisement I saw on Facebook saying that your tax refund could be big enough to be a downpayment. I live in CA...condos aren't even under $100k here. Of course they have a picture of a large two story house, so $300-500k around where I live.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3874 on: February 22, 2016, 06:43:37 AM »
This one from one of my wife's cousins. This person recently bought a new car. Then a week later, their dog needed emergency surgery for something. Either way, it was going to be like $2500. They started a go-fund-me. How do you not have $2500? Why did you spend it on a car? WHAT THE FUCK?!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3875 on: February 22, 2016, 07:37:01 AM »
I am surprised that a someone who is interested in FIRE and has almost 1000 posts on this forum is unaware of what the 4% rule actually is.

man, that's the exact same thing I thought when I read the person's comment. First thing I did was look at the post count. hahaha

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3876 on: February 22, 2016, 11:59:16 AM »
My apologies, I'm British we share a language but obviously not irony

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3877 on: February 22, 2016, 12:29:20 PM »

I checked the post count then concluded it was irony or intended to be a joke. 

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3878 on: February 22, 2016, 12:36:59 PM »
A high school friend had a post on the 11th saying "OMG I just got paid, I didn't know we were getting paid EARLY this month, how awesome is that!?  The follow up comment from her this morning was "SHIT! I didn't know I had to wait FIVE extra days for this weeks pay, momma needs groceries now!!!"

The following comments pretty much pummeled her employer for not alerting her to this fact and that she needs to go speak to HR about this slip up on their behalf etc.   May I also point out that even if she went by the two week rule, payday wouldn't be until Thursday?

bernardnb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3879 on: February 22, 2016, 02:16:47 PM »
Someone that used to work for me recently purchased a custom Mercedes. Posted the first picture with about 20 hash tags including but not limited to #fullyloaded #65k #workedhardforyou #blessed #workhardpartylater #moneyteam #independentwoman #ididitonmyown #dadwillbeproudofme #bossbitch

And the kicker and final one #ihopeicanpaythisoffinfiveyears

Haha, skimming through and read that one as "idiot on my own"....which I guess fits

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #3880 on: February 22, 2016, 03:09:14 PM »
British, was in no way confused by your post.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3881 on: February 22, 2016, 03:32:41 PM »

I just saw on Facebook that Drake performed at a Bat Mitzvah on Saturday, and I clicked to see if that was the event my friend was working at. It was a different one. So there were TWO Bar/Bat Mitzvahs in the same city on the same day that presumably ran into seven figures. Good grief...

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #3882 on: February 22, 2016, 04:45:16 PM »

I just saw on Facebook that Drake performed at a Bat Mitzvah on Saturday, and I clicked to see if that was the event my friend was working at. It was a different one. So there were TWO Bar/Bat Mitzvahs in the same city on the same day that presumably ran into seven figures. Good grief...
Sounds like they were "all bar and no mitzvah".

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #3883 on: February 22, 2016, 05:44:02 PM »
Brand new to these forums here, been reading for a bit now but just decided to join in after a post I saw today! It seems my facebook friends have gone crazy with tax refund season. I've had an influx of posts lately. My favorite gem was "Can't wait to get my tax refund to go get my tattoo!" This from a woman who complains constantly about her ex not paying child support.

Also saw this gem today- "Cleaning out/getting rid of old clothes today! Thinking I'll be using that 0% interest credit card promo I got this morning for a wardrobe upgrade!" Yikes. I will give it to this girl she is generally more frugal than most people I know, and does a great deal of couponing for groceries/household goods. But I can't believe someone would just open a credit card like that. I receive credit card offers what seems like every day in the mail and always just threw them away. Call me young and naive, but I didn't know people would just open up new credit cards when they got these!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3884 on: February 22, 2016, 06:40:53 PM »
Brand new to these forums here, been reading for a bit now but just decided to join in after a post I saw today! It seems my facebook friends have gone crazy with tax refund season. I've had an influx of posts lately. My favorite gem was "Can't wait to get my tax refund to go get my tattoo!" This from a woman who complains constantly about her ex not paying child support.

Also saw this gem today- "Cleaning out/getting rid of old clothes today! Thinking I'll be using that 0% interest credit card promo I got this morning for a wardrobe upgrade!" Yikes. I will give it to this girl she is generally more frugal than most people I know, and does a great deal of couponing for groceries/household goods. But I can't believe someone would just open a credit card like that. I receive credit card offers what seems like every day in the mail and always just threw them away. Call me young and naive, but I didn't know people would just open up new credit cards when they got these!

Back when interest rates were higher people would open cc's with 0% intro APRs (and no fees for balance transfer checks) and stick the balance into a savings account.
I'm sure some people still do this, but with standard savings accounts at 1%, it's not worth the effort. Now if you put it in a rewards checking account, which can earn 4-5%, then it's a different story. The problem with those is that they're not scalable - they cap the balance that can earn the high rate of interest.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3885 on: February 22, 2016, 06:56:33 PM »
I think the morale of this story is that you guys should unfollow more people on Facebook ;-)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3886 on: February 22, 2016, 08:25:53 PM »

What are you on right now, and can I get some?

LOL!   :-)

coolistdude

• Stubble
« Reply #3887 on: February 22, 2016, 08:46:05 PM »
A high school friend had a post on the 11th saying "OMG I just got paid, I didn't know we were getting paid EARLY this month, how awesome is that!?  The follow up comment from her this morning was "SHIT! I didn't know I had to wait FIVE extra days for this weeks pay, momma needs groceries now!!!"

The following comments pretty much pummeled her employer for not alerting her to this fact and that she needs to go speak to HR about this slip up on their behalf etc.   May I also point out that even if she went by the two week rule, payday wouldn't be until Thursday?

Oh yes, your inability to budget is definitely your employer's fault. This lady is going to go far in life if she keeps blaming personal issues on her employer.

Facebook is where people try to sound smart or cool and often sound like neither. I'm one of those silent judging friends who quietly shares your posts on MMM.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3888 on: February 22, 2016, 08:51:52 PM »

Oh yes, your inability to budget is definitely your employer's fault. This lady is going to go far in life if she keeps blaming personal issues on her employer.

Facebook is where people try to sound smart or cool and often sound like neither. I'm one of those silent judging friends who quietly shares your posts on MMM.

I think a smart employer would be wise to have employees that are terrible with money. I imagine it keeps them motivated to work hard and complain less, because they constantly need money. I've seen salesmen work their butts off because they need the money to pay off something.

coolistdude

• Stubble
« Reply #3889 on: February 22, 2016, 09:00:13 PM »

I think a smart employer would be wise to have employees that are terrible with money. I imagine it keeps them motivated to work hard and complain less, because they constantly need money. I've seen salesmen work their butts off because they need the money to pay off something.

Said smart employer could have a reverse test proving the potential employee's inability to budget. Of course accounting employees would have their shit together...right? Right??

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #3890 on: February 23, 2016, 08:26:19 AM »

Said smart employer could have a reverse test proving the potential employee's inability to budget. Of course accounting employees would have their shit together...right? Right??
Some of us do, but most don't make the leap from applying what we do at work to our personal lives.  It's easy to track and control money when it isn't yours and you can't spend it on yourself.

On topic: A friend of mine told me this weekend "I'm getting almost as good at penny-pinching as you!" I didn't know what to say to that, because she kicks my ass on getting by with a low amount of money for her living expenses (rent, gas, etc.), but goes out to eat so much more than I do it's a wash.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3891 on: February 23, 2016, 09:39:12 AM »
Back when interest rates were higher people would open cc's with 0% intro APRs (and no fees for balance transfer checks) and stick the balance into a savings account.
I'm sure some people still do this, but with standard savings accounts at 1%, it's not worth the effort. Now if you put it in a rewards checking account, which can earn 4-5%, then it's a different story. The problem with those is that they're not scalable - they cap the balance that can earn the high rate of interest.
The better comparison is stock market returns, real estate cap rates, etc.
This is why I'm still postponing the complete payoff of my consumer debt, FWIW. Most is at 0%, a little is at 2-4%, and I'm reliably pulling double digits on investments. Right before retiring I'll start putting those returns into a rapid payoff plan.
My partnership is putting half the DP for an upcoming buy on credit - some from a private loan at 6% and some on a 12% LOC. It's all paid out of rents in 5-6mos and the math still works out.

And doctors/nurses never smoke, drink, eat unhealthy foods, do drugs, have unprotected sex, or drive fast? ;)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3892 on: February 23, 2016, 12:06:00 PM »
Overheard on facebook:

Friend makes a post about the advantages of a space heater in the room he's in so that he can work from home and heat only his office instead of the entire house, which cut his electricity bill by 20% compared to the previous month. (Similar to my experience, and the reason we have a baseboard in the office).

Friend of his (NOT mine): posts a reply about how he's just cold and miserable and how that's such a cheap way to live and why would anyone do that.

... Um. Um. WHAT. The point of a space heater is that you can stay warm. Empty rooms, however, don't NEED to stay warm. Paying to heat empty rooms for 8 hours a day is folly.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3893 on: February 23, 2016, 01:41:50 PM »
Overheard on facebook:

Friend makes a post about the advantages of a space heater in the room he's in so that he can work from home and heat only his office instead of the entire house, which cut his electricity bill by 20% compared to the previous month. (Similar to my experience, and the reason we have a baseboard in the office).

Friend of his (NOT mine): posts a reply about how he's just cold and miserable and how that's such a cheap way to live and why would anyone do that.

... Um. Um. WHAT. The point of a space heater is that you can stay warm. Empty rooms, however, don't NEED to stay warm. Paying to heat empty rooms for 8 hours a day is folly.

I had a tenant who would turn his space heater up a little extra because otherwise it didn't heat the entire basement suite enough. In JULY. I'd lived in that suite before and never needed a space heater at all. When I went to do some work there it was soooo hot, even after I took off as many clothes as was appropriate. He said he didn't want to have to wear a hoodie in his house. AND he would leave it on during the day while he was away so it was warm when he got home.

I was SOOOO thankful I wasn't paying his utilities. I tried to explain to him that the reason the space heater was inefficient at heating up the entire suite was because that's not what it's designed to do.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3894 on: February 23, 2016, 02:47:31 PM »

Some of us do, but most don't make the leap from applying what we do at work to our personal lives.  It's easy to track and control money when it isn't yours and you can't spend it on yourself.

Fair point.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3895 on: February 23, 2016, 06:47:32 PM »
Overheard on facebook:

I had a tenant who would turn his space heater up a little extra because otherwise it didn't heat the entire basement suite enough. In JULY. I'd lived in that suite before and never needed a space heater at all. When I went to do some work there it was soooo hot, even after I took off as many clothes as was appropriate. He said he didn't want to have to wear a hoodie in his house. AND he would leave it on during the day while he was away so it was warm when he got home.

I was SOOOO thankful I wasn't paying his utilities. I tried to explain to him that the reason the space heater was inefficient at heating up the entire suite was because that's not what it's designed to do.

... Omg, I am so thankful I don't have to pay for that. Space heaters are great for heating an 8x10 room (thus avoiding heating the house), but they're really inefficient for large spaces!

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #3896 on: February 24, 2016, 10:40:23 AM »
Got another one. Can't believe I didn't lead with this.

We have some friends who fell on hard times a couple years ago. The husband trained horses for a living and was injured when a horse he was riding slipped and fell on top of him. He ended up breaking his neck and was in the hospital for some time. I believe they had health insurance through wife's work, but the medical bills were still pretty high, plus the fact that the husband could obviously no longer work training horses, which he had done for many years. They ended up having their truck repossessed, sold their horse trailer, and the land they owned adjacent to their home was foreclosed on. Through all of this, the wife would REPEATEDLY post things on facebook about how she wanted to buy a new horse and couldn't wait until husband was better so he could train this new horse for her. Uhhh.... he just broke his neck so maybe now is not the time to be asking him to train a horse for you. She has, on multiple occasions, bought a new horse and posted nonstop about how she's going to show it and is so excited, and then six months later posts about how she has to sell all their horses, they have to cut back, the expenses are too high. I'd say she's probably done this three times or so in the five years since his injury, all while the truck is being repossessed, land is foreclosed on, etc.

In their most recent update, their dog passed away very suddenly, wasn't old and just had a heart attack one day. So she buys a puppy not long after that. Fine, whatever, I'm a pet lover and I can understand wanting to have a dog, though you don't necessarily have to get a puppy who's going to need shots, etc. Well now she just posts on facebook how she's just bought ANOTHER puppy and can't wait to get it home! TWO HOURS before this she posted about how a tooth was really bothering her but she couldn't afford to go to the dentist to get it fixed! Ugh.  People. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3897 on: February 24, 2016, 11:39:30 AM »
Got another one. Can't believe I didn't lead with this.

We have some friends who fell on hard times a couple years ago. The husband trained horses for a living and was injured when a horse he was riding slipped and fell on top of him. He ended up breaking his neck and was in the hospital for some time. I believe they had health insurance through wife's work, but the medical bills were still pretty high, plus the fact that the husband could obviously no longer work training horses, which he had done for many years. They ended up having their truck repossessed, sold their horse trailer, and the land they owned adjacent to their home was foreclosed on. Through all of this, the wife would REPEATEDLY post things on facebook about how she wanted to buy a new horse and couldn't wait until husband was better so he could train this new horse for her. Uhhh.... he just broke his neck so maybe now is not the time to be asking him to train a horse for you. She has, on multiple occasions, bought a new horse and posted nonstop about how she's going to show it and is so excited, and then six months later posts about how she has to sell all their horses, they have to cut back, the expenses are too high. I'd say she's probably done this three times or so in the five years since his injury, all while the truck is being repossessed, land is foreclosed on, etc.

In their most recent update, their dog passed away very suddenly, wasn't old and just had a heart attack one day. So she buys a puppy not long after that. Fine, whatever, I'm a pet lover and I can understand wanting to have a dog, though you don't necessarily have to get a puppy who's going to need shots, etc. Well now she just posts on facebook how she's just bought ANOTHER puppy and can't wait to get it home! TWO HOURS before this she posted about how a tooth was really bothering her but she couldn't afford to go to the dentist to get it fixed! Ugh.  People.

Horse people be crazy.

When I was in college a friend of mine was training horses for this couple that were the very definition of big hat, no cattle.  They were constantly trying to look flashy, but were so bad with money they couldn't even get a checking account.  Friend said that multiple times when he was at their place, they'd be racing to have a friend write a check to avoid having the water turned off or whatever (and hiding vehicles to prevent them from being repossessed).  Not knowing this, I loaned a hat to this woman when we were at a horse show, and she said she liked it and agreed to buy it from me for like $75.  It took me six months or so of pestering, mostly through my poor friend, to get my goddamn' money.  For a poor college student to get $75 from these jerks who lived in a McMansion on a horse farm full of Arabian stallions.  Pretty sure that all got foreclosed on them soon after, but it blew my mind.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #3898 on: February 24, 2016, 11:40:19 AM »
Here's the latest from a friend who's perpetually poor, somewhat due to circumstances, but mostly due to bad choices.

Tons of posts about how she hates the apartment where they live, and grumbling that no affordable apartment will allow dogs (they got a new puppy several months ago).  Finally a heart-wrenching post about having to give their puppy to a friend, which was one of their smarter choices.

Friend's elementary school diabetic child has a seizure.  First thing friend puts up is a gofundme page for 10k (!) to get her daughter a service dog.  It gets maybe $40 in several weeks.  A whiny post ensues, and several friends comment with resources that could help pay for the dog.  No response from friend, possibly since most placement agencies want a seizure disorder diagnosis for a service animal placement, and child has had only 1 seizure without any identifiable cause.

Friend's child has another seizure.  Another plea for service dog.  Then someone brings up the whole no-affordable-apartment-with-dogs thing, and friend gleefully posts back that apartments have to allow service dogs, and isn't it a nice loophole so they can finally have the dog they want? 

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #3899 on: February 24, 2016, 01:13:01 PM »
Here's the latest from a friend who's perpetually poor, somewhat due to circumstances, but mostly due to bad choices.

Tons of posts about how she hates the apartment where they live, and grumbling that no affordable apartment will allow dogs (they got a new puppy several months ago).  Finally a heart-wrenching post about having to give their puppy to a friend, which was one of their smarter choices.

Friend's elementary school diabetic child has a seizure.  First thing friend puts up is a gofundme page for 10k (!) to get her daughter a service dog.  It gets maybe $40 in several weeks.  A whiny post ensues, and several friends comment with resources that could help pay for the dog.  No response from friend, possibly since most placement agencies want a seizure disorder diagnosis for a service animal placement, and child has had only 1 seizure without any identifiable cause.

Friend's child has another seizure.  Another plea for service dog.  Then someone brings up the whole no-affordable-apartment-with-dogs thing, and friend gleefully posts back that apartments have to allow service dogs, and isn't it a nice loophole so they can finally have the dog they want?
It blows my mind that people don't understand that service animals are not pets.
If you want to have a dog as a service dog for a medical condition, or even as a guard dog for your home, then that dog is no longer a family pet. They work for you.
Every minute that they are awake they are on duty. If you try and turn a working dog into a pet (or a pet into a working animal) then you will either diminish the animal's ability to do their job effectively, or you will be disappointed that your "pet" doesn't behave as playfully/affectionately/energetically as you would like.
You can't ask a dog to be a happy playful family pet AND do their job as a service animal at the same time. Something has to give. So no, if they get a service dog, they CANNOT finally have the dog they want since they clearly wanted a dog as a pet and nothing more.

[/rant]

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!