Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082398 times)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #3550 on: December 13, 2015, 03:56:09 PM »
There's a mountain bike racing series on the trails at a local park; the races are once a week in the summertime, but they leave the course signage up for the full ten weeks. This year, I went on non-race days a few times and rode the course, but I think I'll sign up for the actual series in 2016. It's a good motivator to do it every week, and besides, I don't mind giving a few dollars to the bike shop that organizes the event. They're excellent advocates for all kinds of cycling in the area.

There's a 5k "mountain" run series at the park up the street from me, during the spring.  It's $35 to enter, and they have snacks and beer at the end.  They use chalk to mark points on the course that aren't obvious.  I took a picture of the route on my phone (they had a satellite photo with a red line, on a large billboard).  And then on a different night, and on weekend mornings, I hiked it with my toddler in the back.

Sadly, there's a good sized section that is pretty loose/ deep sand, so I only did it 2x.  Haven't quite figured out how to do it and skip that section

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3551 on: December 14, 2015, 06:13:04 PM »
ARGH.

Mt friend E and her wife are on Facebook, and have always been iffy-but-not-horrid with money (spending on what mattered to them, which was concerts, clothes, and travel to see family, and were otherwise relatively frugal). E's wife (let's call her S) immigrated to Canada a few years ago to be with her. What with immigration red tape, she couldn't work for a few years, so she did favors for friends, kept house, etc, and they lived off E's salary and savings at their usual pace, assuming that S would be able to work shortly. A few days after she got her paperwork in order and got permission to work, she had an episode of a (previously undiagnosed) degenerative disease that's left her functionally disabled. This was a year+ ago, so they've adjusted to their new reality (via a gofundme for moving expenses to a stair-less apartment that S could handle going into, etc).

The past 4 months, however, have featured more spending than I can imagine and I'm NOT disabled and without an income. We're talking live concerts (at least one of them was 400$ tickets PLUS travel and hotel), daily starbucks check-ins, the works. And a (planned, obviously) pregnancy to boot. I'm just saying: if I was planning on having a disabled spouse and a child, the LAST thing I'd spend money on is concert tickets, and I don't CARE who is playing, NO ONE is worth 400$ tickets. Savings! Rent! DIAPERS, FFS!

(Disclaimer: if the posts about the concerts and the starbucks were't interspaced with rants about how it is SO UNFAIR that S's disability payments are so low and how can they be expected to raise a family on this, I'd be more sympathetic. If they have the money, knock yourselves out and do whatever you want with it. Don't post about 400$ concerts and then send me a link to another gofundme, though.)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3552 on: December 14, 2015, 06:18:39 PM »
ARGH.

Mt friend E and her wife are on Facebook, and have always been iffy-but-not-horrid with money (spending on what mattered to them, which was concerts, clothes, and travel to see family, and were otherwise relatively frugal). E's wife (let's call her S) immigrated to Canada a few years ago to be with her. What with immigration red tape, she couldn't work for a few years, so she did favors for friends, kept house, etc, and they lived off E's salary and savings at their usual pace, assuming that S would be able to work shortly. A few days after she got her paperwork in order and got permission to work, she had an episode of a (previously undiagnosed) degenerative disease that's left her functionally disabled. This was a year+ ago, so they've adjusted to their new reality (via a gofundme for moving expenses to a stair-less apartment that S could handle going into, etc).

The past 4 months, however, have featured more spending than I can imagine and I'm NOT disabled and without an income. We're talking live concerts (at least one of them was 400$ tickets PLUS travel and hotel), daily starbucks check-ins, the works. And a (planned, obviously) pregnancy to boot. I'm just saying: if I was planning on having a disabled spouse and a child, the LAST thing I'd spend money on is concert tickets, and I don't CARE who is playing, NO ONE is worth 400$ tickets. Savings! Rent! DIAPERS, FFS!

(Disclaimer: if the posts about the concerts and the starbucks were't interspaced with rants about how it is SO UNFAIR that S's disability payments are so low and how can they be expected to raise a family on this, I'd be more sympathetic. If they have the money, knock yourselves out and do whatever you want with it. Don't post about 400$ concerts and then send me a link to another gofundme, though.)

Hmm. Without knowing more, maybe this is a you only live once situation. You say the disease is degenerative. Is the prognosis there is no cure and S only has a short time left to live?

EDIT: Meant to say S not E
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:16:20 PM by johnny847 »

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3553 on: December 14, 2015, 06:22:37 PM »
ARGH.

Hmm. Without knowing more, maybe this is a you only live once situation. You say the disease is degenerative. Is the prognosis there is no cure and E only has a short time left to live?

It's MS. Same general life expectancy as the rest of the population, overall. Soooo... no, just the rest of one's (natural) lifespan to support.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #3554 on: December 14, 2015, 08:18:49 PM »
Hmm. Without knowing more, maybe this is a you only live once situation. You say the disease is degenerative. Is the prognosis there is no cure and E only has a short time left to live?

It's MS. Same general life expectancy as the rest of the population, overall. Soooo... no, just the rest of one's (natural) lifespan to support.

*sigh*

For all the things taught in school, personal finance is not one of them...

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3555 on: December 15, 2015, 08:47:26 AM »
Oh trust me I would like too...she would totally know it's me though since I"m the only one on her friends list that is financially secure and has said stuff to her about not buying shit in the past.   She's also suffering from depression so that may send her over the edge and I don't want that on me.  On the plus side, it looks like someone else must have said something to her about the amazon wish list.   It's gone as of this morning.  GoFund me is still up but the 4k shit list is no longer linked.

Send the friend "Help Wanted" listings instead of money???

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3556 on: December 15, 2015, 08:53:08 AM »
ARGH.

Hmm. Without knowing more, maybe this is a you only live once situation. You say the disease is degenerative. Is the prognosis there is no cure and S only has a short time left to live?

I'm curious as to what you would think if she was trying to live her life because her disease as made her very aware of her own mortality?

A friend of a friend quit her job a few months back so that she could move to Colorado to climb all the 14ers (believe there are 54) to prove to herself that she's more powerful than her disease (I believe she has an eating disorder). She sold shirts to raise some money, I heard about it too late but likely would have bought a shirt to help support her.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3559 on: December 15, 2015, 11:02:34 AM »
http://www.theonion.com/article/man-brings-lunch-from-home-to-cut-down-on-small-jo-37912?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:NA:InFocus

I think someone at the Onion was reading MMM...

I had to send that to my husband.  He'll laugh as he was just asked yesterday from someone who probably gets paid less than him (and who is always going out to eat) what was for lunch when he spied my husband pulling out his lunch bag.  When my husband replied "cheese and crackers" the guy looked shocked and just said "Oh!".

Probably need to pack him better lunches, but at least he's eating lunch.  He used to not eat anything until dinner.  My husband's income is close to 95K at this point. 

ETA:  Sent this to DH, he proceeded to tell me how today he had beans and rice (from Saturday's dinner) flavored with a random taco bell hot sauce packet for the first layer, and then when he ate that, a soy sauce packet for the 2nd layer.  This cracks me up.  God love him.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 11:07:54 AM by Neustache »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3560 on: December 15, 2015, 11:59:24 AM »
$50 for a 5K is nuts.  When I was running organized races fairly regularly, I joined the local running club (for $25) and the races were always around $20-25.  The most expensive one was $30, and that was a 5 mile race that included having police stop traffic for the runners, three water stops, chip timers, mile markers, snacks, and a T-shirt (made of the nice thermal material, too).  The only strictly running race I've seen that wasn't a charity run of some kind and cost over $50 was a full or half marathon.

Travel/hotel/food costs for out of town races always cost me more than the race itself.

Maybe its a matter of perspective and scale, but for me, my coworkers, and most of my friends who just like to run, a 5K is called "Monday." 

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #3561 on: December 15, 2015, 12:15:37 PM »
"Landlords are scum"
which really gets on my nerves because my tenant is making my life miserable since months.
I politely disagreed, and the reply was #notalllandlords and now I want to punch the screen.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3562 on: December 15, 2015, 03:05:54 PM »
"Landlords are scum"
which really gets on my nerves because my tenant is making my life miserable since months.
I politely disagreed, and the reply was #notalllandlords and now I want to punch the screen.

There's a guy I know that posts about his landlord is a terrible person and stuff like that. He's moved at least 4 times in the 4 years that I've known him and each time has multiple posts about how crappy his living arrangement is. A few people I know that have rental properties have politely told him to 'can it,' and told him better ways of resolving his disputes. He asked about living with me and I flat out declined, I don't want to put up with the headache.

Physicsteacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3563 on: December 15, 2015, 04:22:03 PM »
A work friend was tagged in various Facebook posts over the weekend with pictures of a birthday party her daughter attended. In celebration of someone turning eight, parents not only purchased an incredibly elaborately decorated cake, they rented hotel rooms for a slumber party and gave all the little girls matching pajamas as party favors. I strongly suspect this birthday party cost more than our wedding.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #3564 on: December 15, 2015, 05:17:38 PM »
Here is conversation I just had a few days ago:

Me: "What are you going to study at WWU? Are you going to commute to Bellingham for school?" (a 45mi drive each way)

Her: "As of now I have to move up there and will be in a dorm. I am studying psychology with a minor in Spanish and business."

Me: "That's awesome! How come you "have" to live in a dorm? Have you been assigned a dorm yet?"

Her: "I was originally going to commute but since we only have the Impreza now and Jake needs to get to work I've gotta move (her boyfriend's car was totalled). The actual dorm assignments come out the 21st, I've got my fingers crossed for *** since my girlfriend's dorm had a sudden opening."

Me: " You know, a beater car would save you thousands of dollars vs. a dorm. And, if you have to move up there, why not live off campus? Rent a room for $500/month vs. the insane dorm room prices. Not to mention you'll save literally thousands by not having a meal plan."

Her: "It was so last minute, there wasn't much for openings outside of everything. I'd do a beater car if it was just me, but I want Jake to be happy and get a car he actually wants to drive. Living on campus was one of the few options I had available since he needs the car to get to work each day and it took until Thursday to even find out what was happening to the Evo." (Fancy pants Mitsubishi Evo, for $40k) I know financially the other options make a ton more sense, hell that's why I planned on commuting in the first place, but for Jake's happiness I'd sacrifice anything. Even living in a dorm with a bunch of teeny boppers."

So, suffice it to say, instead of buying a cheap Honda/Toyota commuter car to do the round trip to the university and back, she's not only going to move their, but she's going to live on campus in the dorms for a year as well. She's a 25yr old, with an associates degree from the community college. She isn't going to University for the dorm experience, or the general College experience. She's going there to further her education to get ahead. But rather than make the smart decision, she's really setting herself up for financial b.s. with much greater expenses than necessary.

That being said, her b.f. earns a good income and they are financially stable with little debt in comparison to the general public. It's just nuts.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #3565 on: December 15, 2015, 07:28:36 PM »
Can't imagine being a 25 year old living in an on-campus college dorm. Wow.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3566 on: December 15, 2015, 07:49:06 PM »

Not going to lie, I would love to go back to college and live in a dorm.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3567 on: December 15, 2015, 09:05:22 PM »

I would love to go back to the dorms just to live with my friends again. I miss being able to walk across the hall and flop on someone's bed if I wanted company.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #3568 on: December 15, 2015, 11:12:05 PM »

wow, really? With a bunch of dumbass 18-year-olds? good grief, not me.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3569 on: December 16, 2015, 05:54:40 AM »

I'm 40, but I feel like I'm 20. Until I hang out with a bunch of 20 year olds. Then I'm like, nah, nevermind, I'm 40.

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #3570 on: December 16, 2015, 06:26:30 AM »
My problem with the dorm vs home post is that she's 25 and going back for a degree in psychology with a minor in Spanish and business?  Business is fine, but I hope she has plans for that psychology degree.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #3571 on: December 16, 2015, 06:35:27 AM »
My problem with the dorm vs home post is that she's 25 and going back for a degree in psychology with a minor in Spanish and business?  Business is fine, but I hope she has plans for that psychology degree.
Unless she takes it all the way to a PhD and opens her own practice, it won't earn her any higher wage than just getting a certification and becoming a professional counselor.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3572 on: December 16, 2015, 07:10:53 AM »

I'm curious as to what you would think if she was trying to live her life because her disease as made her very aware of her own mortality?

A friend of a friend quit her job a few months back so that she could move to Colorado to climb all the 14ers (believe there are 54) to prove to herself that she's more powerful than her disease (I believe she has an eating disorder). She sold shirts to raise some money, I heard about it too late but likely would have bought a shirt to help support her.

Honestly? If she was in her 50s, had no dependants, and wanted to follow Adele around on concert, that'd be her business. (And if she had the money and just chose to spend it on that, that'd also be her business and definitely none of mine).

But when you're spending money on concerts (at least in the multiple 1000s so far this year, on a total family income that I know for a fact is under 40K, in a city with a mid-to-high cost of living...), with a disabled spouse and a kid on the way, and are simultaneously posting to facebook about not knowing how you'll afford diapers and how you'll be 'forced to live in poverty because of low disability payments'... Yeah. I judge. Because call me old-fashioned, but I generally believe that when you chose to have a kid you're chosing to put the kid's needs above your wants.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3573 on: December 16, 2015, 07:18:51 AM »

Well I'm a guy and I miss hanging out with 18/19 year old women. I wouldn't actually do it, that time has gone.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3574 on: December 16, 2015, 07:40:03 AM »

Shit, sign me up.

I'm a community college dropout, but went to a couple of dorm parties at some "good" schools. It looked like shit living to me always, but the easy access to sluts seemed appealing.

So yeah, I'd go as a 31 year old and live in a dorm too. lol

[MOD EDIT:  Let's dump the sexually loaded insults, "slut shaming" and sweeping generalizations.  Thank you.]
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 09:08:34 AM by FrugalToque »

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3575 on: December 16, 2015, 07:40:31 AM »

So, suffice it to say, instead of buying a cheap Honda/Toyota commuter car to do the round trip to the university and back, she's not only going to move their, but she's going to live on campus in the dorms for a year as well. She's a 25yr old, with an associates degree from the community college. She isn't going to University for the dorm experience, or the general College experience. She's going there to further her education to get ahead. But rather than make the smart decision, she's really setting herself up for financial b.s. with much greater expenses than necessary.

That being said, her b.f. earns a good income and they are financially stable with little debt in comparison to the general public. It's just nuts.

These forums in general are very into living close to work or school and abnormal living situations to save money or get what you want.  Maybe this woman doesn't want to spend an hour and a half each day commuting in addition to school (And work?). Living situation with boyfriend may not be as great as it appears.  Maybe she's concerned by the environmental impact of the commute and prefers to walk and can afford to make it work.

OP posted here for a reason and is likely spot on but it seems a bit incongruous.

On topic:

"my retirement plan is hiring a sniper to take me out when I'm not looking."

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3576 on: December 16, 2015, 07:51:01 AM »

Just wait. Those senior living apartment complexes are basically just dorms for old folks.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3577 on: December 16, 2015, 08:02:57 AM »
Maybe she'll get to college and discover a guy who doesn't value a $40K car as much. Hey, don't get me wrong - I'm a car guy but I gave up my champagne dreams when we started having kids. Having a nice (but frugal) place to live was more important than something with 300HP.

When the kids are grown and gone, maybe then I'll buy a Ural Tourist or a '65 Mustang 2+2 Fastback.

Different choices made as a couple might make her life (their life) much easier overall.

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #3578 on: December 16, 2015, 08:09:50 AM »
Unless she takes it all the way to a PhD and opens her own practice, it won't earn her any higher wage than just getting a certification and becoming a professional counselor.

That would be a wonderful plan for that degree.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #3579 on: December 16, 2015, 08:10:42 AM »

Just wait. Those senior living apartment complexes are basically just dorms for old folks.
There's apartment complexes for families and professional/graduate students at most large universities.  People are a little older and generally more mature than the 18 year olds straight out of high school, but there's still plenty of college dumbassery to go around if that's what you're looking for.

It'd be awesome to live that close to all my friends again, but I'm perfectly happy to not have the druggie across the hall run screaming down the central coridor at 3am because he's drunk and took heroin for the first time and thinks he's being chased by the pumpkin king.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3580 on: December 16, 2015, 08:13:44 AM »

Right down to the STD rates.

(I work in the medical field. This is the population that skipped the 'safe sex' education and are suddenly single/widowed. To predictable results.)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3581 on: December 16, 2015, 08:16:35 AM »

(I work in the medical field. This is the population that skipped the 'safe sex' education and are suddenly single/widowed. To predictable results.)

Yes, I've read about that.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #3582 on: December 16, 2015, 08:20:50 AM »

Hey at least they avoid all that "unintended pregnancy" hassle!

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #3583 on: December 16, 2015, 08:50:03 AM »

There's apartment complexes for families and professional/graduate students at most large universities.  People are a little older and generally more mature than the 18 year olds straight out of high school, but there's still plenty of college dumbassery to go around if that's what you're looking for.

It'd be awesome to live that close to all my friends again, but I'm perfectly happy to not have the druggie across the hall run screaming down the central coridor at 3am because he's drunk and took heroin for the first time and thinks he's being chased by the pumpkin king.

Those are probably full at this point, but taking over somebodies sublease near campus is an insanely good deal.  Based on the whole "I just want to make boyfriend happy, I couldn't make him drive a car he doesn't love" she seems a little entitled though.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3584 on: December 16, 2015, 10:18:11 AM »
Maybe she'll get to college and discover a guy who doesn't value a $40K car as much. Hey, don't get me wrong - I'm a car guy but I gave up my champagne dreams when we started having kids. Having a nice (but frugal) place to live was more important than something with 300HP.

When the kids are grown and gone, maybe then I'll buy a Ural Tourist or a '65 Mustang 2+2 Fastback.

Different choices made as a couple might make her life (their life) much easier overall.
It's a joint effort. They bought a house together, and have been together for 8 years. I don't see their relationship going anywhere. She worked a full time job along with a part time job while going to the Community College and taking a full course load, so that she could finish her associates degree without a single ounce of debt. Now, all of a sudden she's flipped a switch. It's dumb as hell.

Sign me up for the Ural, but it's got to be a Gear Up. 2wd for the win!

It's hard to find a place near this college in the middle of the school year and between quarters. That being said, there are a shit load of houses with a room to rent very close to campus, on the bus line that she could move into.

Those are probably full at this point, but taking over somebodies sublease near campus is an insanely good deal.  Based on the whole "I just want to make boyfriend happy, I couldn't make him drive a car he doesn't love" she seems a little entitled though.
This part is just dumb. Drive a beater you dumbass!

These forums in general are very into living close to work or school and abnormal living situations to save money or get what you want.  Maybe this woman doesn't want to spend an hour and a half each day commuting in addition to school (And work?). Living situation with boyfriend may not be as great as it appears.  Maybe she's concerned by the environmental impact of the commute and prefers to walk and can afford to make it work.

OP posted here for a reason and is likely spot on but it seems a bit incongruous.

See above, but these two (bf and gf) are in it for the long haul. We all fully expect to attend their wedding sooner or later. They are fully domesticated. She doesn't work at all right now. As the earnings from her job don't outweigh, in a month, what her bf can earn from a few extra shift of overtime. It's not worth her time according to them. Classes are only about 3-5 hours a day if you plan it correctly without too many breaks. She should be commuting. It's not ideal, but it's a hellavu lot better than the dumbass fees she's signed up for with a dorm, meal plan, and all the other miscellaneous b.s./

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3585 on: December 16, 2015, 10:54:40 AM »
I don't see their relationship going anywhere.

We all fully expect to attend their wedding sooner or later.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3586 on: December 16, 2015, 11:26:31 AM »

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3587 on: December 16, 2015, 02:34:36 PM »
I don't see their relationship going anywhere.

We all fully expect to attend their wedding sooner or later.

I should have said, "I don't see their relationship falling apart anytime soon." It's solid, and there is a large core group of friends that they fit into quite well.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3588 on: December 16, 2015, 03:07:42 PM »

Wish dorm life had been as much fun as people's stories. Sometimes it was fun, sometimes it was just trying to live like that. The girl's dorms seemed to be populated with females that got along better than the guys. Different personalities?

We had the guys next door that woke up at 5-something in the morn for football practice and do it by cranking the stereo full blast. Or the other guy on the other side that has an alarm set for 7AM but was never there to turn it off - ever (second alarm). Sat/Sun morns were fun after some late night. There was "PigPen" that apparently never, ever bathed or did laundry until his roomies had to wash him forcibly. Am mixing barracks life and dorm life but these people all existed in my life.

Secretively and preemptively flipping the right circuit breaker was helpful for noisy hallmates. About the 4th or 5th time they start to get it. Especially if they had spoiled food in their dorm fridge. ;)

I loved being 25. Didn't so much love being working poor or living in barracks/dorms. Rented a small house after my enlistment rather than revisit dorm life. Nice to be able to study on my schedule. Am highly distractable.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3589 on: December 16, 2015, 03:44:08 PM »
"Landlords are scum"
We get a lot of this - a LOT here on fb, especially on the local sales page from time to time.  People go there to vent, or ask for help finding housing, or to offer up housing for rent.

The rental vacancy here is less than 1%.
The rents have gone through the roof in the last couple of years.
There are a few landlords who own many properties - they are known for not keeping them maintained and screwing their renters.

But that's not always what people are complaining about.
They complain about the 2BR house renting for $3250, when 5 minutes with google will tell you when it sold, and what for - so then you know that the landlord is breaking even.
They complain about landlords "gouging", but never calculate the cost of maintenance, and cleaning, and work when the renter destroys the house.
They complain about how they cannot find a place that will rent to dog owners, but let their dogs either bark all day or wreck the house.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3590 on: December 16, 2015, 03:49:35 PM »
My SIL has a psych degree and is making a great living as a HS guidance counselor.
I have several friends with psych degrees who are counselors at a university (drug/alcohol, eating disorders)

Even some tech jobs are heavy in psychology.  My husband's PhD in EE had quite a large psychology component (vision systems), and a local company working in lighting is looking for someone with a relevant degree in vision science, which includes psychology.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #3591 on: December 16, 2015, 05:20:53 PM »

Wish dorm life had been as much fun as people's stories. Sometimes it was fun, sometimes it was just trying to live like that. The girl's dorms seemed to be populated with females that got along better than the guys. Different personalities?

We had the guys next door that woke up at 5-something in the morn for football practice and do it by cranking the stereo full blast. Or the other guy on the other side that has an alarm set for 7AM but was never there to turn it off - ever (second alarm). Sat/Sun morns were fun after some late night. There was "PigPen" that apparently never, ever bathed or did laundry until his roomies had to wash him forcibly. Am mixing barracks life and dorm life but these people all existed in my life.

Secretively and preemptively flipping the right circuit breaker was helpful for noisy hallmates. About the 4th or 5th time they start to get it. Especially if they had spoiled food in their dorm fridge. ;)

I loved being 25. Didn't so much love being working poor or living in barracks/dorms. Rented a small house after my enlistment rather than revisit dorm life. Nice to be able to study on my schedule. Am highly distractable.
Don't get me wrong, there's ups and downs.  The guy I mentioned was actually pretty cool to be around when he wasn't high, but seeing as he wanted to try every drug he could get his hands on at least once before his freshman year was up (he actually kept a list) and I'm fairly straight-laced, we didn't hang out too much.  It was a co-ed dorm, and I was good friends with some of the girls down the hall; they have their own set of issues, trust me lol.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3592 on: December 16, 2015, 05:35:37 PM »

We had the guys next door that woke up at 5-something in the morn for football practice and do it by cranking the stereo full blast. Or the other guy on the other side that has an alarm set for 7AM but was never there to turn it off - ever (second alarm). Sat/Sun morns were fun after some late night. There was "PigPen" that apparently never, ever bathed or did laundry until his roomies had to wash him forcibly.

I was always in co-ed dorms. That tends to balance things out. Co-ed dorms means co-ed bathrooms, and co-ed bathrooms means there's no such thing as guys not showering.

Eight years on, the two dormies I was really tight with are still my best guy friends.

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3593 on: December 16, 2015, 06:26:26 PM »
Freshman dorms were the worst (male). Constantly smelled like vomit, always loud bass music and random shouting... Crashing in a girls dorm meant you smelled like perfume and incense the next day, but at least you could sleep.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3594 on: December 17, 2015, 06:03:19 AM »
We need an "anti-anti-mustachian overheard on facebook" thread, like we do for work.  Since we don't, I'll plop this one here:
"My hubby keeps asking me what I want for Christmas... I just want a new can opener and some sleep... Again!"

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #3595 on: December 17, 2015, 06:11:30 AM »
FrugalToque swooping in to save the day lol

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3596 on: December 17, 2015, 07:44:56 AM »
"Landlords are scum"
There's a guy I know that posts about his landlord is a terrible person and stuff like that. He's moved at least 4 times in the 4 years that I've known him and each time has multiple posts about how crappy his living arrangement is. A few people I know that have rental properties have politely told him to 'can it,' and told him better ways of resolving his disputes. He asked about living with me and I flat out declined, I don't want to put up with the headache.
Some tenants are unhappy from day one, and always seem to be looking for an excuse to be unhappy about something. They're usually the ones who end up leaving owing you money.
Some people are just shitty about all aspects of life that way.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3597 on: December 17, 2015, 09:00:38 AM »
We need an "anti-anti-mustachian overheard on facebook" thread, like we do for work.  Since we don't, I'll plop this one here:
"My hubby keeps asking me what I want for Christmas... I just want a new can opener and some sleep... Again!"

On the radio this morning, DJs interviewing husband and wife who had made an agreement not to buy each other any Christmas presents last year.  The wife went ahead and bought husband a gift anyway, and husband followed the no-gifts agreement.  So the story goes that in the month before Christmas they were out shopping, and husband had been looking at a nice watch and tried it on, but he decided it wasn't worth it and so he didn't want to buy it.  Well, wife decided to buy that watch for her husband, and on Christmas morning, he sees the gift under the tree.  She makes him open it, and he doesn't really have any immediate reaction.  She's so upset that she went out of her way to do this "nice" thing for him.  He's upset because she didn't honor the agreement and because he feels like she wasted her money, that he really didn't want the watch and didn't want her spending this money on him.  DJs both decide that the husband is "cheap" and he "stole the wife's chance to feel joy from giving a gift."

I wanted to gag because, of course, I could relate to the husband -- I don't want things.  Please don't spend your money on things for me when I am happy without them!  I have to tell my mom that what I WANT for Christmas, birthday, etc. is for her NOT to buy me anything.  It's not that I don't want anything specific; it's that I actively want nothing that costs money.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3598 on: December 17, 2015, 09:05:32 AM »
[husband and wife who had made an agreement not to buy each other any Christmas presents last year.  The wife went ahead and bought husband a gift anyway

I think the wife's heart was in the right place, but yeah I can also understand the husband's reaction as well. In my past relationships (currently single) I've always preferred gifts that didn't cost a lot but showed a lot of thought. For instance, one of my high school girlfriend's gave me a Michigan hat for Christmas which was really touching as she was born at the OSU hospital, so you could say that she's been a Buckeye fan from birth. If I do get married, I would like to have such an agreement with my wife to avoid buying each other gifts but instead maybe do something special for each other.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3599 on: December 17, 2015, 09:30:21 AM »
I asked for windshield wipers and replacement bottles for the soda stream
My husband asked for a new backpack, because his broke