Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082475 times)

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #3200 on: October 08, 2015, 06:30:41 AM »
This isn't mustache related but it stunned me and I had to share. A make up artist girl (mid 20s) on my Fb posted a picture of a drugstore mascara. In the top right corner (of almost every type of mascara around here) she circled where it said:

BLACK
NEGRO
NOIR

And then wrote, "This mascara is called black negro. Opinions?"

Please tell me someone commented explaining that it's the English/Spanish/French words for the color.  And that she didn't get 20 likes and people ranting about "Black Negro". Please.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3201 on: October 08, 2015, 06:52:11 AM »
That's "black" in
English
Spanish
French

I think that was the OP's point.

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3202 on: October 08, 2015, 07:10:38 AM »
Posted by a friend who owes on some loans (but doesn't have kids).

Student debt squeezing parents and children simultaneously

I kinda pissed someone off with my response....
I don't know. I see your point, especially if the complaining is excessive. But just because you made a choice to do something -- whether it's take a stressful job or have kids or whatever -- doesn't mean that you should never be allowed to lament about how difficult it is. I had someone pull that shit with me once, and I didn't take to it kindly either. After a long day chasing two little boys, I complained to a neighbor w/o kids about how hard my day was. And he said something to the extent of, "Well, you chose to have kids, so suck it up." It's the lack of any empathy or compassion that bothered me.

I am fortunate that I didn't take out loans and went to school right before prices really, really skyrocketed. I also don't think I would have taken out excessive loans if given the option. But there is such a thing as a biological clock, so you can't wait forever to have kids.
Yeah I can understand a little bit more. I admit I'm not as sympathetic with my sister complaining about her kids, and this paragraph gives me more understanding what she goes through. Thanks for posting it.

Fair enough, and maybe I was overly blunt. But nobody says they have to wait forever. Considering how much money some people blow on their kids, just a few years of putting that toward the loans could make all the difference. You don't HAVE to wait till 40, nor do you HAVE to start pumping them out at 21. There's room between for all kinds of life-altering changes.

Thing is not everyone comes to financial awareness at the same point in their lives. We went through some very tough years when we got married and had very small kids, because my priority was otherwise than making money. We had no debt but we barely got by in those days and it's only been getting better in the last couple of years. People are just where they are, and some are a mess and probably you're a mess in some of your own (possibly human-interrelational) ways, and if you love them, just overlook the stuff that you know better than they do instead of shoving it in their faces.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3203 on: October 08, 2015, 07:13:36 AM »
This isn't mustache related but it stunned me and I had to share. A make up artist girl (mid 20s) on my Fb posted a picture of a drugstore mascara. In the top right corner (of almost every type of mascara around here) she circled where it said:

BLACK
NEGRO
NOIR

Please tell me someone commented explaining that it's the English/Spanish/French words for the color.  And that she didn't get 20 likes and people ranting about "Black Negro". Please.

That's my reaction to her post, hehehehe.

EngineerMum

• Stubble
  • Working towards moderate badassity
« Reply #3204 on: October 08, 2015, 08:19:45 AM »

BLACK
NEGRO
NOIR

I encountered almost the identical outrage in person once. On a train through Spain, a couple of American girls were eating some dark chocolate, when one of them looked at the package and read the words. She was HORRIFIED that it was labelled "Negro". I repeat - we were IN SPAIN. When I explained to her that negro = black I genuinely don't think she believed me, she just nodded to be polite and went on thinking the Spanish were racist arseholes.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3205 on: October 08, 2015, 08:23:37 AM »

BLACK
NEGRO
NOIR

I encountered almost the identical outrage in person once. On a train through Spain, a couple of American girls were eating some dark chocolate, when one of them looked at the package and read the words. She was HORRIFIED that it was labelled "Negro". I repeat - we were IN SPAIN. When I explained to her that negro = black I genuinely don't think she believed me, she just nodded to be polite and went on thinking the Spanish were racist arseholes.

Well at least she was innocent enough to be offended on behalf of black people. I would rather take that than have someone laugh it off about how quaint "foreign people" are because of their racism.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #3206 on: October 08, 2015, 08:47:38 AM »

BLACK
NEGRO
NOIR

Black Negro Noir... isn't that a gritty mystery story about a detective who wears dark mascara?

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3207 on: October 08, 2015, 01:59:59 PM »
I didn't personally comment because I don't know her too well. I just stepped back and let her other friends clue her in, which they did with alacrity. She eventually deleted it, I guess she was embarrassed.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3208 on: October 09, 2015, 03:01:49 AM »

BLACK
NEGRO
NOIR

But... What about the NOIR? Why doesn't she think it's called Black Negro Noir?

Noir is Spanish for black negro

:D

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3209 on: October 09, 2015, 01:15:04 PM »
When I explained to her that negro = black I genuinely don't think she believed me, she just nodded to be polite and went on thinking the Spanish were racist arseholes.

To be fair, we're talking about a country where soccer fans routinely throw bananas and make ape calls at African players. A country that maintains a colony off the west coast of Africa and has been terrible about the refugee situation there.

I love Spain, honestly, but there are a fair number of racist arseholes.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3210 on: October 12, 2015, 07:06:07 AM »
To be fair, we're talking about a country where soccer fans routinely throw bananas and make ape calls at African players. A country that maintains a colony off the west coast of Africa and has been terrible about the refugee situation there.

No worries, racists are all over the world and they come in all sorts of colors. :)

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #3211 on: October 12, 2015, 07:44:00 AM »

No worries, racists are all over the world and they come in all sorts of colors. :)

Ha. That’s true. I lived in one area in England where those from India hated those whom come to England from Pakistan and Bangladesh, but not as much as they disliked the Indians who’d arrived via Africa.
The Africans disliked the colored people from the Caribbean but together they all disliked the Jamacians.
The Asians kept to themselves and disliked anyone who wasn’t spending money in their shops.   
The Irish were loved by everyone except the ones who couldn’t hold their drink and caused trouble.
The English were just a minority in that area and ignored.
The annual fair brought everyone together in the universal hated of the people running it – who were all travelers.
The police gave crap to everyone and everyone gave them crap back.

It was a wonderful place to view sweeping generalizations at work whilst at an individual level people got on fine because we had to.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3212 on: October 12, 2015, 08:23:46 AM »

Ha. That’s true. I lived in one area in England where those from India hated those whom come to England from Pakistan and Bangladesh, but not as much as they disliked the Indians who’d arrived via Africa.
The Africans disliked the colored people from the Caribbean but together they all disliked the Jamacians.
The Asians kept to themselves and disliked anyone who wasn’t spending money in their shops.   
The Irish were loved by everyone except the ones who couldn’t hold their drink and caused trouble.
The annual fair brought everyone together in the universal hated of the people running it – who were all travelers.

It was a wonderful place to view sweeping generalizations at work whilst at an individual level people got on fine because we had to.

:)

Geez, at least hate everyone equally or don't hate at all. :-p

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3213 on: October 12, 2015, 01:44:20 PM »

Geez, at least hate everyone equally or don't hate at all. :-p

I suspect that at least some of it would have been a very English form of hatred, which is not really hatred at all but some would-be witty banter/mickey-taking allied with the national pastime of finding pleasure in a bit of mild grumbling.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3214 on: October 12, 2015, 02:05:20 PM »

I suspect that at least some of it would have been a very English form of hatred, which is not really hatred at all but some would-be witty banter/mickey-taking allied with the national pastime of finding pleasure in a bit of mild grumbling.

In that respect it seems as if all groups (groups put together with a nice convenient broad brush) has integrated into Britain in that finest of traditions - the complaining about most things and finding someone to blame. For current reference see most UK national paper headlines! There's always someone to blame.  As I said - most people got along fine at an individual level.
Naturally all the problems with society could always be placed at the foot of some other group.. some things don't change.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3215 on: October 12, 2015, 04:03:22 PM »

In that respect it seems as if all groups (groups put together with a nice convenient broad brush) has integrated into Britain in that finest of traditions - the complaining about most things and finding someone to blame. For current reference see most UK national paper headlines! There's always someone to blame.  As I said - most people got along fine at an individual level.
Naturally all the problems with society could always be placed at the foot of some other group.. some things don't change.
Like the Belgians - still the scum of the earth ......

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3216 on: October 12, 2015, 04:12:32 PM »

Brussels is just a town in France, right?

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3217 on: October 12, 2015, 04:25:12 PM »

Origin of the ultimate evil vegetable https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brussels_sprout

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3218 on: October 12, 2015, 06:01:32 PM »

Origin of the ultimate evil vegetable https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brussels_sprout

If you are going to make a Belgium joke, go all the way!  :-)

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Belgium

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3219 on: October 12, 2015, 08:15:43 PM »

If you are going to make a Belgium joke, go all the way!  :-)

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Belgium

I try to not make Belgium jokes, not after reading about their defense to the Germans in WWI. Now the French, they will never live down the Maginot Line.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3220 on: October 12, 2015, 09:15:44 PM »
I try to not make Belgium jokes, not after reading about their defense to the Germans in WWI. Now the French, they will never live down the Maginot Line.
That wasn't really the French's fault.

Since Waterloo, the British French and Germans have always held their battles in Belgium.
It worked best for everyone; the Germans have always preferred playing away from home, the British get a chance to pop over to the continent and pick up some cheap wine and cheese and the French don't have to clean up the mess afterwards.

So the French naturally stopped the line at the Belgian border, it was the Germans that didn't play by the rules (what can you expect from a country that doesn't even play cricket)

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3221 on: October 13, 2015, 02:05:26 AM »

I was once on a train and overheard the following conversation:

A: I fucking hate the Pakis. All they want is money for nothing. [More about how awful they are, smell of curry, stealing our jobs and women, etc.]
B: What about [Indian name]?
A: Yeah, he's alright.
B: He's from Pakistan or wherever.
A: Yeah, but like, not really.
B: And [Indian name] at work.
A: Alright, mate, alright. I hate the fucking Pakis except for [name] and [name].

Ah, traditional British racism. You hate everyone who looks different except the ones you know. And the ones who run the fish and chip shop.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #3222 on: October 13, 2015, 03:21:56 AM »

BLACK
NEGRO
NOIR

Well at least she was innocent enough to be offended on behalf of black people. I would rather take that than have someone laugh it off about how quaint "foreign people" are because of their racism.

I hope she never has occasion to see this country on a map https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niger the name would freak her out.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3223 on: October 13, 2015, 07:33:25 AM »

A: I fucking hate the Pakis. All they want is money for nothing. [More about how awful they are, smell of curry, stealing our jobs and women, etc.]
A: Alright, mate, alright. I hate the fucking Pakis except for [name] and [name].

Ah, traditional British racism. You hate everyone who looks different except the ones you know. And the ones who run the fish and chip shop.

Sadly my parents still live in this fantasy land. They were ok with having an Indian lady provide samosa for them to sell in their shop and profit from it though. And the sell a restaurant to one of those paki families (Indian actually) that they disliked so much. Its always the immigrants fault.
Half of my dads family do not come from England. My mother has traced her roots back to just about everywhere in Europe except England. They still reckon there are too many immigrants! Arrggg.

There’s none so blind…..

Oh and as for the fish and chip shop – reminds me of East is East – a very similar environment and area where I was brought up for  a while.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3224 on: October 13, 2015, 08:27:13 AM »

Just so there is no confusion, I am Indian, and I would also like money for nothing.
Additionally, I will steal white women, but I try not to smell too bad while doing it.
And lastly, as for awful and the jobs, well I only steal the awful jobs to help balance out the universe.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3225 on: October 13, 2015, 08:38:47 AM »

That is not uncommon anywhere.  We are in the US and I have lost count of the amount of times we have heard racist remarks against Hispanics and then when we point out that my husband is as well (and he is first generation), we always get "but not you, you are not like them".

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3226 on: October 13, 2015, 08:46:16 AM »

Just so there is no confusion, I am Indian, and I would also like money for nothing.
Additionally, I will steal white women, but I try not to smell too bad while doing it.
And lastly, as for awful and the jobs, well I only steal the awful jobs to help balance out the universe.

I’m not Indian but I love the curry smell. You are welcome to bring curry to my house any day. And bring money for nothing as well. Obviously.

and I hate powerwashing my drive. Its an awful job. feel free to steal it.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3227 on: October 13, 2015, 09:08:33 AM »

That is not uncommon anywhere.  We are in the US and I have lost count of the amount of times we have heard racist remarks against Hispanics and then when we point out that my husband is as well (and he is first generation), we always get "but not you, you are not like them".
Several years ago I was on vacation in Hawaii with my husband and two of my coworkers.  We were taking a bus tour around Maui.

There was a group on the bus (it was a small bus, maybe 15?) from Wisconsin I think (maybe MN) talking about the "Damn Mexicans" and how they are stealing the jobs, etc. etc.

Mind you, we are traveling with my coworker from China and my best friend/ coworker, whose is Latina.  I finally, after about 20 minutes, said "MB, how many generations ago did your family come over from Mexico?"  That shut them up. But really, my friend is 4th generation, doesn't speak Spanish (but her parents, grandparents do - speak both).  Seriously.  They've been in the US longer than my family!  Okay, maybe not - it would be really close.  My family came over in the mid 1800s I think.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3228 on: October 13, 2015, 09:17:25 AM »

I’m not Indian but I love the curry smell. You are welcome to bring curry to my house any day. And bring money for nothing as well. Obviously.

lol - thanks, made me chuckle. :)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3229 on: October 13, 2015, 11:17:05 AM »

I have to disagree; my experience in England has been that the casual xenophobia is unbelievable. I would say that the worst culture shock I've ever experienced was when a friend went off on "pakis" running the NHS into bankruptcy with all their children. This woman was early twenties, middle class, educated. And she was just making conversation.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3230 on: October 13, 2015, 11:21:39 AM »

I have to disagree; my experience in England has been that the casual xenophobia is unbelievable. I would say that the worst culture shock I've ever experienced was when a friend went off on "pakis" running the NHS into bankruptcy with all their children. This woman was early twenties, middle class, educated. And she was just making conversation.

not very well.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3231 on: October 13, 2015, 11:31:19 AM »

I'm not indian, and I would like free money, thanks. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3232 on: October 13, 2015, 11:34:08 AM »

not very well.

I don't know if it is xenophobia, but speaking as an Indian-American, let me address some of the concerns that I've heard from some Brits. They don't mind other people living in England, but they dislike that many of the Pakistanis and Indians they see are living on some sort of assistance and will try to sell things on the streets to make extra money. I'm not sure how often this occurs, but when traveling through Europe, at public places you'll see people selling beer and other things and then running as soon as any authority figures come by. Once I saw a few locals steal beer from one of the guys and he really couldn't do anything as the locals just said something to the effect of, "Sure, I'll just call the authorities if you want."

That's why as soon as you bring up an Indian they know, they will back off instantly, because my guess is that many of the brown people they know are actually hard working and a professional.

Also, I'm not a fan of Indian-style curries, but I love Thai curry.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3233 on: October 13, 2015, 12:58:02 PM »
What's the story about the black guy who joined the KKK and everyone came around to liking him? People have a lot of trouble hating real, friendly people in their lives. It's a lot easier to hate general groups.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3234 on: October 13, 2015, 01:08:13 PM »
What's the story about the black guy who joined the KKK and everyone came around to liking him? People have a lot of trouble hating real, friendly people in their lives. It's a lot easier to hate general groups.

Are you talking about the Dave Chappelle skit?

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #3235 on: October 13, 2015, 01:15:47 PM »

A bit like my mother. Hated all Catholics. Except her best friends. And her other friends. And the other ones. And my 1st husband. And my current partner. Plus obviously hated all 'Pakis'. Except Pete who ran the Paki shop and arranged with a taxi driver to drop off her whisky when she as housebound the last few years of her life ;)

Currently I'm living in Spain. A lot of xenophobia here, by British ex-pats aimed at 'bloody foreigners coming to our (UK) shores, not integrating, taking the place over'. Said without a touch of irony, as they sit in a British bar on the edge of their mainly British housing complex where they eat their ready meals bought from UK stores. After a few months I speak better Spanish than any of them. And that's not exactly fluent.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3236 on: October 13, 2015, 01:20:55 PM »
Can we create a hate group hate group? I wanna get in on this hate stuff, but I also wanna be a good person.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3237 on: October 13, 2015, 01:23:55 PM »
Additionally, I will steal white women,

You want Money for Nothing and chicks for free?

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3238 on: October 13, 2015, 01:26:06 PM »

"Two groups I can't stand. Those who are intolerant of other people's culture and the Dutch."

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3239 on: October 13, 2015, 01:33:26 PM »
Can we create a hate group hate group? I wanna get in on this hate stuff, but I also wanna be a good person.
"Bigots Against Bigots"

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3240 on: October 13, 2015, 02:30:45 PM »
Additionally, I will steal white women,

you'd have to be in real dire straits to get that.

frogger

• Bristles
« Reply #3241 on: October 13, 2015, 02:35:49 PM »

This thread is getting too off topic and self-referencial. It's Knopfler me.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3242 on: October 13, 2015, 02:38:56 PM »

This thread is getting too off topic and self-referencial. It's Knopfler me.

Why worry?

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3243 on: October 13, 2015, 11:12:18 PM »
Better be Calling Elvis...

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3244 on: October 14, 2015, 01:18:39 AM »
Currently I'm living in Spain. A lot of xenophobia here, by British ex-pats aimed at 'bloody foreigners coming to our (UK) shores, not integrating, taking the place over'. Said without a touch of irony, as they sit in a British bar on the edge of their mainly British housing complex where they eat their ready meals bought from UK stores. After a few months I speak better Spanish than any of them. And that's not exactly fluent.

REALLY?! I yearn for the day when everyone arguing for restricted free movement to the UK in Europe is forced to realise that that stuff goes two ways. Sure, foreigners can't move here, but you can't have your holiday home in France or retire to Spain.

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3245 on: October 14, 2015, 03:50:26 AM »

REALLY?! I yearn for the day when everyone arguing for restricted free movement to the UK in Europe is forced to realise that that stuff goes two ways. Sure, foreigners can't move here, but you can't have your holiday home in France or retire to Spain.

Well, yea but... there's a difference between someone retiring wealthy in another country, and someone immigrating in poverty to the same country. Not to come off on the side of the racists, but it's clearly two separate cases and the responses from locals will be quite different. Sure you can't speak my language and refuse to eat my food, but you have money so bienvenido!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3246 on: October 14, 2015, 06:23:09 AM »

Well, yea but... there's a difference between someone retiring wealthy in another country, and someone immigrating in poverty to the same country. Not to come off on the side of the racists, but it's clearly two separate cases and the responses from locals will be quite different. Sure you can't speak my language and refuse to eat my food, but you have money so bienvenido!

Eh, I think it's the same thing. One issue is having economic migrants vs rich retired people come to a country, but once they get there then the 'integration' thing is the same. "Oh, all these foreigners coming over here not speaking our language and wanting to eat all their foreign food and only see other foreign people" - the culture issue is the same for both groups. The economic arguments may be different but large groups of Brits eating marmite on the Costa del Sol has an equally damaging effect on culture and society.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3247 on: October 15, 2015, 01:40:58 PM »
How about the Inquisition, merula? Is that #4, maybe #5?

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3248 on: October 15, 2015, 01:53:15 PM »
How about the Inquisition, merula? Is that #4, maybe #5?

It wasn't this century.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3249 on: October 15, 2015, 02:27:27 PM »
wasn't the inquisition 400 years ago?