Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082357 times)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #2800 on: August 03, 2015, 06:07:28 PM »
Just to be a devil's advocate, the solution to that is ordering takeout. It takes a couple minutes at most to place the order over the phone, and then you do whatever you want/need to at home until the food gets there.

This isn't always an option. There is one restaurant (Pizza Hut- you couldn't pay me to eat it) that delivers to my house.  We can't even get Papa Johns, and they are closer than the Pizza Hut! No idea why all the other commonly delivered things within 5 miles of my house (Jimmy Johns, Chinese...) won't deliver, but we call and they all say we aren't on their map.

Exactly no one will deliver to us, but there's no mystery in our case... :)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2801 on: August 04, 2015, 06:15:04 AM »
Just to be a devil's advocate, the solution to that is ordering takeout. It takes a couple minutes at most to place the order over the phone, and then you do whatever you want/need to at home until the food gets there.

This isn't always an option. There is one restaurant (Pizza Hut- you couldn't pay me to eat it) that delivers to my house.  We can't even get Papa Johns, and they are closer than the Pizza Hut! No idea why all the other commonly delivered things within 5 miles of my house (Jimmy Johns, Chinese...) won't deliver, but we call and they all say we aren't on their map.

Is this because you're... Rural?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2802 on: August 04, 2015, 06:29:49 AM »

Is this because you're... Rural?

I see what you did there.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #2803 on: August 04, 2015, 07:54:09 AM »
We do that quite a bit, and prefer to do that (or to make food fresh that day).  Takeout is usually reserved for A) when we have something to do that evening and cooking will be a pain, or B) we've been away all weekend and not yet gotten to the grocery store for the week.  But those 1-2x a month we need it, it's the easiest way to do restaurant food.
Very well then, consider your waiver approved. ;)

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2804 on: August 07, 2015, 03:00:37 AM »
Just now:  "[general intro asking for 4WD fans to advise]... I want something that makes me feel like I'm one step closer to a monster truck without being crap on gas and doesn't make me look like a soccer mum. "

yeah, and the exhaust fumes will smell like unicorn farts.

sigh.  I know these people fairly well.  champagne tastes, beer budget. They're DINKS, but the 3 dogs, two cats, 2 cars they continually trade in (not for new, thankfully, just a continual ever-changing array of 2nd-hand ones), ever-upgrading cellphones, clothes, low-paying jobs, frequent travel etc etc mean they are in their late-30s and financially up shit creek.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2805 on: August 07, 2015, 09:39:49 PM »
Just now:  "[general intro asking for 4WD fans to advise]... I want something that makes me feel like I'm one step closer to a monster truck without being crap on gas and doesn't make me look like a soccer mum. "

sigh.  I know these people fairly well.  champagne tastes, beer budget. They're DINKS, but the 3 dogs, two cats, 2 cars they continually trade in (not for new, thankfully, just a continual ever-changing array of 2nd-hand ones), ever-upgrading cellphones, clothes, low-paying jobs, frequent travel etc etc mean they are in their late-30s and financially up shit creek.

And today's selfie-post from the same person: "new hair, new phone AND new glasses! Winning today!"

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #2806 on: August 07, 2015, 11:55:25 PM »

And today's selfie-post from the same person: "new hair, new phone AND new glasses! Winning today!"

She forgot to mention new loan (for her phone).

jrubin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2807 on: August 12, 2015, 08:53:36 AM »
I'm patiently waiting for the GoFundMe campaign for a FaceBook "friend" that lives in my neighborhood and has a child in the same grade as one of mine... The families last month looks like this:
Original Post – July 6th – I feel like my world has just collapsed… I can’t breathe! Just devastated!

After several comments from folks asking what happened (child sick, dog died, etc.) – she says that her husband has lost his job. She herself has been looking for a job since December. Not sure how they are going to get by now… Note – Previously I sent her links to a couple of jobs my friends were looking to fill – always an excuse – “not the right fit”… Um – it’s a receptionist position – if you really needed a job, it would be fine. She dabbles in all of the home-sales – Arbonne, Thirty-One, the new miracle wrinkle cream, etc… But she isn’t fully committed to any of them – thus very few parties, and minimal sales.

July 7th – family lunch at Red Robin!
July 8th – family lunch at Chili’s!
July 9th – Afternoon at Monster Mini Golf (indoor mini-golf)
July 11th - pictures of daughters in new bathing suits they had to have, complete with matchy flip-flops and sunglasses
July 28th – Girls night out (restaurant/bar/dancing) and b-day celebration for a friend.
August 6th – packing for trip to Florida and Myrtle Beach – yay!
August 10th – Best day ever – at Discovery Cove (amusement park), Orlando
August 11th – Super, awesome family fun day – at SeaWorld (amusement park), Orlando
August 12th (today) – up early for some fun in the sun – at Aquatica (water park), Orlando

While I'm sure the trip was planned before the job loss came about - I might reconsider going if I could cancel the reservations at no cost. If for some reason we "had" to go to Florida & Myrtle Beach - there wouldn't be a new park each day. We'd be enjoying the ammenities at the resort (pool), eating cereal and sandwiches for breakfast/lunch - in our room with items from the grocery store, etc. They have 2 kids (10 & 12) - I'm sure they would understand not going to a new park each day - and would enjoy just hanging out at the beach or hotel pool. There have been several "God will get us through" posts over the last month - but I'm a believer in helping those who help themselves - so I probably won't be buying in to their upcoming GFM page when they get back from vacation and can't pay their mortgage, or buy the back-to-school items that are needed.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #2808 on: August 12, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
I'm patiently waiting for the GoFundMe campaign for a FaceBook "friend" that lives in my neighborhood and has a child in the same grade as one of mine... The families last month looks like this:
Original Post – July 6th – I feel like my world has just collapsed… I can’t breathe! Just devastated!

After several comments from folks asking what happened (child sick, dog died, etc.) – she says that her husband has lost his job. She herself has been looking for a job since December. Not sure how they are going to get by now… Note – Previously I sent her links to a couple of jobs my friends were looking to fill – always an excuse – “not the right fit”… Um – it’s a receptionist position – if you really needed a job, it would be fine. She dabbles in all of the home-sales – Arbonne, Thirty-One, the new miracle wrinkle cream, etc… But she isn’t fully committed to any of them – thus very few parties, and minimal sales.

July 7th – family lunch at Red Robin!
July 8th – family lunch at Chili’s!
July 9th – Afternoon at Monster Mini Golf (indoor mini-golf)
July 11th - pictures of daughters in new bathing suits they had to have, complete with matchy flip-flops and sunglasses
July 28th – Girls night out (restaurant/bar/dancing) and b-day celebration for a friend.
August 6th – packing for trip to Florida and Myrtle Beach – yay!
August 10th – Best day ever – at Discovery Cove (amusement park), Orlando
August 11th – Super, awesome family fun day – at SeaWorld (amusement park), Orlando
August 12th (today) – up early for some fun in the sun – at Aquatica (water park), Orlando

While I'm sure the trip was planned before the job loss came about - I might reconsider going if I could cancel the reservations at no cost. If for some reason we "had" to go to Florida & Myrtle Beach - there wouldn't be a new park each day. We'd be enjoying the ammenities at the resort (pool), eating cereal and sandwiches for breakfast/lunch - in our room with items from the grocery store, etc. They have 2 kids (10 & 12) - I'm sure they would understand not going to a new park each day - and would enjoy just hanging out at the beach or hotel pool. There have been several "God will get us through" posts over the last month - but I'm a believer in helping those who help themselves - so I probably won't be buying in to their upcoming GFM page when they get back from vacation and can't pay their mortgage, or buy the back-to-school items that are needed.

Have a FB "friend" just like this. Last night was family movie night. Dinner every other evening to 'celebrate' someone's birthday or random event. We spoke on the phone, she wants to go back to school, but said she'd likely have to charge the tuition on her CC because she has no money. Not even ONE MINUTE later she tells me she's thinking of a new wedding ring upgrade @ $10K because her jeweler recommended it, and hey, they just celebrated 20 years -- she deserves it. WTF is wrong with people? If she only knew how incredibly stupid she sounds...complaining constantly about money...then spending frivolously on nonsense. Worst part is, she just shipped her first kid off to college @ a university costing $25K/year...already setting her daughter (who wants to be a journalist) up for debt and failure.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2809 on: August 12, 2015, 01:20:50 PM »
wedding ring upgrade @ $10K
Upgrade?
Do the new ones come with more features?
Has the old one's magic powers over DH stopped working?

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:23:27 PM by nobodyspecial »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2810 on: August 12, 2015, 01:43:43 PM »

2) "Help this Vet achieve his dream of owning a Lancer Evo X or a Civic Si to race" - Guy who couldn't wait to get out of the Navy after his 4 year enlistment and was been living with his parents for free until a couple of months ago and as far as I know has been couch surfing since he got kicked out

Wanna know why I object vociferously anytime veterans are universally categorized as heroes?

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2811 on: August 12, 2015, 02:17:40 PM »

2) "Help this Vet achieve his dream of owning a Lancer Evo X or a Civic Si to race" - Guy who couldn't wait to get out of the Navy after his 4 year enlistment and was been living with his parents for free until a couple of months ago and as far as I know has been couch surfing since he got kicked out

Wanna know why I object vociferously anytime veterans are universally categorized as heroes?

Because most of them are tobacco addicted, barely civilized scrubs unlike you who has achieved the goal I covet most in getting those glorious glorious silver bars.  I am PTing my ass off literally in the hopes of one day getting my golden bar and becoming a part of the nobility.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2812 on: August 12, 2015, 02:29:54 PM »
Because most of them are tobacco addicted, barely civilized scrubs unlike you who has achieved the goal I covet most in getting those glorious glorious silver bars.  I am PTing my ass off literally in the hopes of one day getting my golden bar and becoming a part of the nobility.
HOOAAAH. GIMME ANOTHER!

But seriously, it's because serving doesn't fundamentally affect our character, and plenty of bad people get in with the good ones. Honor people for their accomplishments, or their unique traits, or for what they sacrificed. Just putting on a uniform isn't enough...

...especially in the case of this slackass loser, who probably did nothing worthwhile in service and now wants special treatment because he *tolerated* military life for a few years and went back to being extra worthless at home.

Good luck with your goals, BTW. ;)

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2813 on: August 12, 2015, 03:09:26 PM »
HOOAAAH. GIMME ANOTHER!

But seriously, it's because serving doesn't fundamentally affect our character, and plenty of bad people get in with the good ones. Honor people for their accomplishments, or their unique traits, or for what they sacrificed. Just putting on a uniform isn't enough...

...especially in the case of this slackass loser, who probably did nothing worthwhile in service and now wants special treatment because he *tolerated* military life for a few years and went back to being extra worthless at home.

Good luck with your goals, BTW. ;)

Just remember, this slackass loser is better than all the other slackass losers in that he answered the Nation's call and is the 1% that makes us strong.  Probably not worth a race car, but definitely worth the golden ticket to the middle class that the Post 9/11 GI Bill and VA loans provide.  Unfortunately some people don't find out they fit in best in a highly regimented environment like the military until after they leave.

Just like no one can take a college degree away from you, no one can take an honorable DD214 away from you.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2814 on: August 13, 2015, 06:31:06 AM »
Since that escalated rather quickly I just thought I'd provide some comic relief by noting I read that as, "Help this Vet[inarian] achieve his dream...", and I was like, why does everyone think this guy's a hero? Did he save their dog?

Fuzzy Buttons

• Stubble
« Reply #2815 on: August 13, 2015, 08:42:40 AM »

I thought you were quoting Bojack Horseman for a minute there.  :)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2816 on: August 13, 2015, 10:33:13 AM »
Just remember, this slackass loser is better than all the other slackass losers in that he answered the Nation's call and is the 1% that makes us strong.  Probably not worth a race car, but definitely worth the golden ticket to the middle class that the Post 9/11 GI Bill and VA loans provide.  Unfortunately some people don't find out they fit in best in a highly regimented environment like the military until after they leave.

Just like no one can take a college degree away from you, no one can take an honorable DD214 away from you.
Like I said, enlisting doesn't prove anything about character. People get kicked out every month for committing heinous crimes while in service, and I doubt you consider those worthy of the "golden ticket". I celebrate everyone who serves with honor, which is the majority. However, unless and until I know you're one of those, I make no comment on you as a person, because I have no basis for doing so.

Also, while I don't think the percentage affects the legitimacy of my sentiments at all, let's take note that it is much more than 1%. Many people only serve a few years out of 70+ in a lifetime, so the percentage of Americans in service at any given time is dramatically smaller than the percentage who serve at some point in their lives. The VA estimates that over 7% of the population are veterans; Army vets alone exceed 3%.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2817 on: August 13, 2015, 11:14:54 AM »
As the real defenders of freedom and democracy, can us nuclear physicists board the planes first?

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #2818 on: August 13, 2015, 11:31:23 AM »
Since that escalated rather quickly I just thought I'd provide some comic relief by noting I read that as, "Help this Vet[inarian] achieve his dream...", and I was like, why does everyone think this guy's a hero? Did he save their dog?
Actually, I had been thinking the same thing... until you pointed that out. Well, rather, I thought that he was in the forces and is currently a veterinarian.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2819 on: August 13, 2015, 12:39:10 PM »
As the real defenders of freedom and democracy, can us nuclear physicists board the planes first?
Actually, I had been thinking the same thing... until you pointed that out. Well, rather, I thought that he was in the forces and is currently a veterinarian.
Nyuk nyuk nyuk :P
At least nobody has made the "veteran Aryan" joke yet....

ReadyToStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2820 on: August 18, 2015, 06:18:14 AM »
Hoo boy...

So this girl has never had money, and her folks have never had money to manage. Girl eventually moves out, across the country to live with her boyfriend. She makes her sparse income from a combination of freelance art commissions and working weekends at a min wage cook position. Boyfriend bounces from job to job. For YEARS, I have seen post after post of "Well, we need to come up with $X before Friday" and various stresses about money. Boyfriend literally has panic attacks about money.
A few weeks ago I saw a "Yay! We're buying [$300 gadget or doo-dad]!" and not three days later "I don't have money to pay the electric bill..."
Just this past year she's taken up attending different fandom conventions across the country (up to three just this year). That's hotel, airfare, food, misc purchases, and entrance fees x 3. Not only that, but she has just stated that she and her bf will be attending all three again next year, AND THEN SOME! Not to mention they have 3 pets to care for, and eat fast food all the time, have student loans with no degrees, etc.
Now she needs $500 before next week, but already owes so many people art I don't see how she can take on more. Instead of working on the art, she drinks and plays video games every night. It's a sad cycle and she's a sweet girl so I wish she would listen to reason.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2821 on: August 18, 2015, 09:07:39 AM »
I'm part of a couple of mommy groups on FB and some of the stuff that gets posted on there just amazes me!

One person was asking for recommendations to upgrade their large SUV to an even larger SUV because baby #2 was on the way and that was the only way they could fit both kids plus both dogs plus all the accessories needed for everyone.

One lady responded that they have a Honda Pilot but are hoping to upgrade to a Suburban in about 2 years.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2822 on: August 18, 2015, 10:46:53 AM »
I think some people are lazy, stupid, or just don't have a clue.  Here is a post from today.

"Is there anywhere in town that makes copies? My machine is to slow, and I'm tired of driving to (town 45 miles away) to get them made. Any help is appreciated, thanks!"

I know of three places in town that make copies, and I've never had a need to make copies.  If this person had looked on the Internet or even the phone book, the person would have found even more.  WTF?

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #2823 on: August 18, 2015, 11:50:55 AM »
I think some people are lazy, stupid, or just don't have a clue.  Here is a post from today.

"Is there anywhere in town that makes copies? My machine is to slow, and I'm tired of driving to (town 45 miles away) to get them made. Any help is appreciated, thanks!"

I know of three places in town that make copies, and I've never had a need to make copies.  If this person had looked on the Internet or even the phone book, the person would have found even more.  WTF?
My go-to places used to be: Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, the library

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2824 on: August 18, 2015, 12:47:37 PM »

We're a small town, but there are two "mail centers" that each make copies and the library.  While writing this I realized that we also have a print shop that does copies.  I don't think this person tried very hard to find a local copy place.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2825 on: August 18, 2015, 12:53:06 PM »

We're a small town, but there are two "mail centers" that each make copies and the library.  While writing this I realized that we also have a print shop that does copies.  I don't think this person tried very hard to find a local copy place.

If she makes a lot of copies (although I can't imagine why), wouldn't it be better for her to upgrade her machine at home?  Honestly even if it is slow, how many copies is she making?

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2826 on: August 19, 2015, 12:21:32 AM »
If she makes a lot of copies (although I can't imagine why), wouldn't it be better for her to upgrade her machine at home?  Honestly even if it is slow, how many copies is she making?

Time to digitize and save a tree?  :)

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2827 on: August 19, 2015, 01:56:14 AM »
I think some people are lazy, stupid, or just don't have a clue. Here is a post from today.

I was thinking this myself today. The number of times I see people asking the Internet for help with something incredibly mundane is amazing to me.  Like, how is it easier to type your question into a Facebook group than to just google it your own damn self?  It's like they don't know how to do any of the thinking.

[edited to fix poor BB-coding]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 03:41:18 AM by homehandymum »

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2828 on: August 19, 2015, 02:01:46 AM »

45 minute drive to photocopy, that's insane.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2829 on: August 19, 2015, 06:34:01 AM »
A lot of the people I see asking their Facebook friends are asking for personal recommendations from people they know - something you can't get from Google, Yelp, etc. I've seen it recently when looking for reputable contractors for roof repairs, concrete work, etc. In these instances I can totally understand and would probably do it myself. A copy shop? Not so much.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2830 on: August 19, 2015, 08:09:00 AM »
Said dependa Facebook friend from earlier in this string posted a novella this morning.  The jist of which is she cheated on her Tech Sgt husband, is pissed the husband is divorcing her and going for primary custody of the kids due to her unemployment and "anxiety", and just started a go fund me to pay for hospital bills in case the divorce goes through before she can get her heart surgery completed through Tricare (can I just insert how fucking stupid she is and how she totally doesn't realize she's looking at a six figure bill).  On the positive note, shes sooooo happy to be living with her "true love" now.

Now, she'd been having overly mopey posts the past couple of months, and has been asking for money in "OMG guys I need 200 bucks by Friday if anyone has it" so I thought something was up, but holy fucking SHIT.  Talk about things you SHOULDN'T be posting on the internet.  She also in previous posts thinks if Trump becomes president her unemployed ass will just be given a good job, you know, since she has no degree, and near no experience she TOTALLY deserves it because she's a nice person. 

This latest novella  might have earned the de friend button...I didn't think that level of crazy could exist in one person.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #2831 on: August 19, 2015, 08:30:18 AM »
Said dependa Facebook friend from earlier in this string posted a novella this morning.  The jist of which is she cheated on her Tech Sgt husband, is pissed the husband is divorcing her and going for primary custody of the kids due to her unemployment and "anxiety", and just started a go fund me to pay for hospital bills in case the divorce goes through before she can get her heart surgery completed through Tricare (can I just insert how fucking stupid she is and how she totally doesn't realize she's looking at a six figure bill).  On the positive note, shes sooooo happy to be living with her "true love" now.

Now, she'd been having overly mopey posts the past couple of months, and has been asking for money in "OMG guys I need 200 bucks by Friday if anyone has it" so I thought something was up, but holy fucking SHIT.  Talk about things you SHOULDN'T be posting on the internet.  She also in previous posts thinks if Trump becomes president her unemployed ass will just be given a good job, you know, since she has no degree, and near no experience she TOTALLY deserves it because she's a nice person. 

This latest novella  might have earned the de friend button...I didn't think that level of crazy could exist in one person.
Somewhere there's a divorce lawyer doing the Dance of Joy for making his job insanely easy...

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2832 on: August 19, 2015, 09:04:08 AM »
I was thinking this myself today. The number of times I see people asking the Internet for help with something incredibly mundane is amazing to me.  Like, how is it easier to type your question into a Facebook group than to just google it your own damn self?  It's like they don't know how to do any of the thinking.
I have a couple of friends who drive me nuts with this kind of thing. Not so much posting questions, but commenting on my posts. I'll say something like: Hey, I'm thinking about doing X thing at Y place this weekend. Anyone want to join me? It looks really fun. Instead of simply going to the website of Y (which I will usually try to link in the post because I've been down this road before) and checking the details of event X, they comment things like: What time is X? How much does it cost? What's the address of Y? How do I get there on the subway? etc. etc. Come on people, I know you have the internet because you are using it to post this comment, so why don't you try using it?

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2833 on: August 19, 2015, 09:33:29 AM »
I think some people are lazy, stupid, or just don't have a clue. Here is a post from today.

I expect this person to follow up with "What are their hours?  Where are they?  Can you post a map?"  We're a town of 5,000 people.  This person probably needs copies of handouts for her job as "beauty consultant" for Mary Kaye (actual job listed).

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2834 on: August 19, 2015, 09:58:49 AM »
MishMash, please don't defriend the cheating person, she is too valuable for stories here.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2835 on: August 19, 2015, 02:29:13 PM »

Are you kidding me!?! People pay good money for that kind of entertainment!

bagap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2836 on: August 19, 2015, 05:31:47 PM »

This latest novella  might have earned the de friend button
...I didn't think that level of crazy could exist in one person.

I for one am a sucker for a love story ;-)

And, please don't unfriend this lunatic person...the entertainment value and lessons on "how not to handle your personal affairs" are priceless!

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #2837 on: August 19, 2015, 06:57:24 PM »
I finally have something!

My sister is okay with money. Okay, but not great. While she can manage it okay, she is bad about getting and keeping jobs. Result: she and her husband are a one income family. Today, she posted a picture of her new netbook, or whatever the Apple laptops are called. It turns out, she upgraded her old laptop to Windows 10, which then caused her microphone to not work. She tried everything to get it to work, to no avail.

Me: You know you can go back to Windows 7 within 30 days??
Sis: But then I couldn't get a shiny new laptop.

*facepalm*

Ryo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2838 on: August 19, 2015, 10:14:49 PM »

I expect this person to follow up with "What are their hours?  Where are they?  Can you post a map?"  We're a town of 5,000 people.  This person probably needs copies of handouts for her job as "beauty consultant" for Mary Kaye (actual job listed).

I enjoy sending people a "letmegooglethatforyou" (http://lmgtfy.com/) link in response to these types of questions.  It's a facetious answer to their questions, and yes, some people probably think I'm an asshole, but it usually gets the point across. 

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2839 on: August 19, 2015, 11:13:43 PM »

One I saw yesterday on a saving money type facebook thread:

"What is the best way to save for a house deposit?" (with additional detail of how much they'd LOVE a certain type of house.) 

Um.  The same way you save for anything else? 

And of course, they followed up all the suggestions with all the reasons they could neither spend less nor earn more (fairly legitimate, I must say - high health needs in kids greatly reduce your options).

But really people, there is nothing magical about wanting a house deposit that will somehow magically make savings possible.  No matter how worthy your situation, sadly.

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #2840 on: August 19, 2015, 11:42:38 PM »

My sister is okay with money. Okay, but not great. While she can manage it okay, she is bad about getting and keeping jobs. Result: she and her husband are a one income family. Today, she posted a picture of her new netbook, or whatever the Apple laptops are called. It turns out, she upgraded her old laptop to Windows 10, which then caused her microphone to not work. She tried everything to get it to work, to no avail.

*facepalm*
She can actually get back to 7 whenever; the stored rollback will expire in 30 days, but I'm confident that the Windows 7 is and will be valid for life as long as it or that particular Windows 10 activation is only active one at a time. I imagine that she has already tried to update the drivers by searching online as well as through the Device Manager. Anyway, I should probably stop there =x

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2841 on: August 20, 2015, 06:32:21 AM »

*facepalm*
And those shiny new Macbooks aren't cheap--they start at $1300.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2842 on: August 20, 2015, 07:54:19 AM »

*facepalm*

And those shiny new touch screen Chrome books start at 300$.

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #2843 on: August 20, 2015, 08:51:06 AM »

*facepalm*
She can actually get back to 7 whenever; the stored rollback will expire in 30 days, but I'm confident that the Windows 7 is and will be valid for life as long as it or that particular Windows 10 activation is only active one at a time. I imagine that she has already tried to update the drivers by searching online as well as through the Device Manager. Anyway, I should probably stop there =x

Yeah, I'm sure she tried all that. She's not computer illiterate. But her answer to the problem was pretty unmustachian and definitely not the only option!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2844 on: August 20, 2015, 08:52:36 AM »

*facepalm*

And those shiny new touch screen Chrome books start at 300$.

Yeah I want a Chromebook as I usually am not kind to my laptops...shame that I need a laptop that can get remote access to our company system so that I can enter orders while on the road. There has to be a way to do so even using an Android being OS right? The guy that runs this stuff said no. At least, work pays for my laptop...

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2845 on: August 20, 2015, 09:00:23 AM »
Chromebooks run Windows Remote Desktop, it works pretty well.
But my experience with our company VPN is a bit flaky on a chromebook

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #2846 on: August 20, 2015, 09:58:01 AM »
Chromebooks run Windows Remote Desktop, it works pretty well.
But my experience with our company VPN is a bit flaky on a chromebook
the only reason i haven't gotten one yet.
so instead i am hawking craigslist for a used windows8 ultrabook.

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #2847 on: August 20, 2015, 10:56:53 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure she tried all that. She's not computer illiterate. But her answer to the problem was pretty unmustachian and definitely not the only option!
Far from it! Then again, I'm the type that enjoys fixing computer issues...

Cathy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2848 on: August 20, 2015, 11:47:15 PM »
One of the most fun parts about using GNU/Linux with typical consumer hardware is that every kernel upgrade tends to introduce a hardware incompatibility with at least one device. Every time I upgrade, I look forward to finding out what will break next -- would it be the SD card reader, the microphone, the optical disc drive, the USB interface, or something else new and exciting? To be clear, this is largely the fault of device manufacturers and their propensity for releasing only proprietary drivers. I have immense respect for the solutions that have been developed by the free software community to address this, such as Windows driver emulation layers and other hardcore stuff. Nonetheless, I do dread upgrading.

I first installed GNU/Linux when I was around 12 years ago. At the time, I lived with my parents, and we had only dial-up internet. Before switching to GNU/Linux, I was blissfully naïve about how "modems" actually worked. I had ignorantly assumed that they were a piece of hardware that would handle all aspects of making calls over the phone line. I was wrong. It turns out that the way most dial-up models actually work is that they are a very low-level piece of hardware that basically operate at the raw data level with no support for specific protocols. Much of the logic that makes the device a "modem" is actually very complicated software that runs on the computer. And of course that software is proprietary and runs only on Windows. As mentioned above, the solution that the community has developed is a Windows driver emulation layer that allows you to use the Windows binary drivers on GNU/Linux and it works well, but back in the day, it was very difficult to set up, poorly documented, and generally frustrating to configure. I did manage to figure it out and get my modem working, but I wouldn't expect that most people would have been able to handle it.

These days, things are a lot more friendly, although you still have to deal with them breaking from time to time.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #2849 on: August 21, 2015, 05:45:36 AM »
One of the most fun parts about using GNU/Linux with typical consumer hardware is that every kernel upgrade tends to introduce a hardware incompatibility with at least one device. Every time I upgrade, I look forward to finding out what will break next -- would it be the SD card reader, the microphone, the optical disc drive, the USB interface, or something else new and exciting? To be clear, this is largely the fault of device manufacturers and their propensity for releasing only proprietary drivers. I have immense respect for the solutions that have been developed by the free software community to address this, such as Windows driver emulation layers and other hardcore stuff. Nonetheless, I do dread upgrading.

I first installed GNU/Linux when I was around 12 years ago. At the time, I lived with my parents, and we had only dial-up internet. Before switching to GNU/Linux, I was blissfully naïve about how "modems" actually worked. I had ignorantly assumed that they were a piece of hardware that would handle all aspects of making calls over the phone line. I was wrong. It turns out that the way most dial-up models actually work is that they are a very low-level piece of hardware that basically operate at the raw data level with no support for specific protocols. Much of the logic that makes the device a "modem" is actually very complicated software that runs on the computer. And of course that software is proprietary and runs only on Windows. As mentioned above, the solution that the community has developed is a Windows driver emulation layer that allows you to use the Windows binary drivers on GNU/Linux and it works well, but back in the day, it was very difficult to set up, poorly documented, and generally frustrating to configure. I did manage to figure it out and get my modem working, but I wouldn't expect that most people would have been able to handle it.

These days, things are a lot more friendly, although you still have to deal with them breaking from time to time.

Yup. I spent plenty of time goofing around with Ndiswrapper trying to get network cards and stuff to work. My current laptop is still on Ubuntu 12.04 because anything newer breaks the ATI video drivers... they dropped support for it, it's so old. Thankfully, if it ain't broke, I don't have to fix it. It'll last me another year or so until I get around to getting a replacement.