Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081878 times)

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #2750 on: July 29, 2015, 06:33:39 AM »
I stopped reading when I got to "gelatin" and "fish sauce".

Gelatin and fish sauce are crucial ingredients in any kitchen.... imo. It's the pancetta and other varieties of meat that ring up the cost. Pure gelatin is very cheap though, I think it couldn't be more than .50c a sachet. And fish sauce is such a fundamental source of umami that it's become one of my default go-tos - you can also pick it up cheaply from Asian markets.

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #2751 on: July 29, 2015, 06:45:31 AM »
Oh I'm sorry there's a misunderstanding :)
I was referring to the fact that putting gelatin and fish sauce in a Bolognese is probably a crime punishable by death back in Italy.
Not a matter of cost
:)

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2752 on: July 29, 2015, 06:58:36 AM »
I was referring to the fact that putting gelatin and fish sauce in a Bolognese is probably a crime punishable by death back in Italy.
Not a matter of cost

Oh haha :D I'm not really a purist with this stuff. Actually there is no set rule to a bolognese recipe (I definitely think any recipe should have at least 2-3 cups of wine and a cup of milk or cream), but the key for me is the slow oven roast. You'll never get that silky caramelization and fond from the stovetop or slow cooker.

I've also had good results with this much simplified and quicker recipe:

http://www.marinmamacooks.com/2013/12/barefoots-weeknight-bolognese/
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 07:07:05 AM by cerebus »

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2753 on: July 29, 2015, 07:37:33 AM »
Not a matter of cost

What about anchovy paste?  It seems like the result would be the same, but anchovy paste seems more Italian. So just think of fish sauce as liquid anchovy. Fish sauce is a godawful stinky wonder ingredient.

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2754 on: July 29, 2015, 07:45:16 AM »
Why would you put any fish ingredients in a meat sauce?
Anchovy paste is great to add fish flavor to all the seafood based sauces though.

Don't pay too much attention to what I say though, we Italians are super anal when talking foods and ingredients

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2755 on: July 29, 2015, 08:16:11 AM »
Why would you put any fish ingredients in a meat sauce?

Fish sauce is wonderful stuff. Used in moderation it doesn't add a fishy taste at all. It's kind of roughly comparable to worcestershire. It has an intensely strong taste, so you shouldn't use more than say 1tsp for an entire dish. Once you get used to it, it quickly becomes an essential part of your repertoire.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #2756 on: July 29, 2015, 08:20:29 AM »
Not a matter of cost

I'm from Bologna itself and I can confirm that putting gelatin and fish sauce in a bolognese sauce (that we call "ragł") is a serious crazy talk. Never heard of anyone that makes it this way. WTF?!

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #2757 on: July 29, 2015, 09:47:28 AM »
Fish sauce was one of the defining attributes of a traditional Roman diet. It was used in damn near everything.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #2758 on: July 29, 2015, 10:00:09 AM »

"Of course. Charging the innocent would be cruel!"

-Gul Dukat

Nice DS9 reference!

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #2759 on: July 29, 2015, 10:01:00 AM »
Fish sauce was one of the defining attributes of a traditional Roman diet. It was used in damn near everything.

Sure - 2.000 years ago. Things change. We even eat tomatoes now!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2760 on: July 29, 2015, 10:34:44 AM »

Absolutely things change. 2,000 years ago there's rumors that Italians were actually good at governing....

Who would have thunk it?

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2761 on: July 29, 2015, 10:50:37 AM »
Absolutely things change. 2,000 years ago there's rumors that Italians were actually good at governing....
When they had an apparently mad, financially corrupt ruler whose main interest was in orgies ?
How times have changed.

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2762 on: July 29, 2015, 11:05:55 AM »

OMG that's so cool. Pity it's still not shipping. I just realized we have a crappy vent here too (it's one of those recirculating ones because there's nowhere to vent it outside, so I should probably abandon Asian cooking at home for the foreseeable future.

My house has a recirculating vent, and I have to take the fire alarm off of its mount in the hall and put it in the bedroom before I cook.  :-)  That's on my list of things to do in the future (vent it to the roof). 

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2763 on: July 29, 2015, 12:27:20 PM »
My house has a recirculating vent, and I have to take the fire alarm off of its mount in the hall and put it in the bedroom before I cook.  :-)  That's on my list of things to do in the future (vent it to the roof).
This is worth doing, but remember that you're pumping air to the outside.  I routed mine to the turbo vent on the roof when I converted from recirculating fan to true vent.  Remember to put a one-way flapper in the line to help prevent heat/cold loss.

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2764 on: July 30, 2015, 12:23:52 AM »

Have you actually tried fish sauce or is this just a reaction to the word 'fish'?

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #2765 on: July 30, 2015, 04:40:12 AM »
Saw this last night on my feed.  Sit down, this may freak you out.

"Love teaching financial literacy to teens with my friend at Bank of America."

YESSSSSSS!

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2766 on: July 30, 2015, 07:41:47 AM »

"Love teaching financial literacy to teens with my friend at Bank of America."

YESSSSSSS!

Sounds like a no-lose situation :D

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2767 on: July 30, 2015, 11:43:05 AM »
This is my wife's idiot step-sister:

"If they take my trial blazer SS than I'm getting a jeep wrangler!!!"

Commenter 1: U can't if they take it its because its worth too much if u buy a wrangler its gonna b worth more then that so they prolly won't let u do it
SS: If u have a loan they don't take cause its not money setting there!!! My truck is paid 4 so that's money setting there that u could use 2 pay credit cards off!!!

At this point, I'm struggling to try to understand wtf she's trying to say, but she's talking about paying off credit cards so I'm thinking, "meh, maybe she's learning".

Commenter 1: Hard to get a loan in ur current state right now tho

SS: Anyone will give u a car loan just b high interest.. I dont care rather pay 4 something high price & have something 2 show than pay debt that u have nothing 2 show after!!!

*sigh* I guess not.

Her post a week earlier:

"Does anyone know q good bankruptcy lawyer?"

SMH

The wife and I will occasionally troll her page and ask each other, "have you seen the Teri show today?"  It's good entertainment, but man is it hard to watch...

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2768 on: July 30, 2015, 12:26:25 PM »
ducky19 - is this what you think is happening?

She's trading in her paid-off trail blazer for a Jeep wrangler.  She's going to take a loan out on the wrangler, even if she doesn't have to, so she can pay down credit cards?  And she doesn't care about the interest rate on the car note.

That's my best guess on that mess of some language other than the English I know anyway.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #2769 on: July 30, 2015, 12:59:49 PM »
ducky19 - is this what you think is happening?

She's trading in her paid-off trail blazer for a Jeep wrangler.  She's going to take a loan out on the wrangler, even if she doesn't have to, so she can pay down credit cards?  And she doesn't care about the interest rate on the car note.

That's my best guess on that mess of some language other than the English I know anyway.

i sounds like she is selling her old car for cash, and then getting a loan on a new car. so she can have cash and a new car. maybe......i think....perhaps

RysChristensen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2770 on: July 30, 2015, 03:51:32 PM »

Commenter 1: U can't if they take it its because its worth too much if u buy a wrangler its gonna b worth more then that so they prolly won't let u do it
SS: If u have a loan they don't take cause its not money setting there!!! My truck is paid 4 so that's money setting there that u could use 2 pay credit cards off!!!

C1: If they take your trailblazer, it's because it's worth selling. They won't let you get a vehicle worth as much as a Wrangler.
SS: If the balance of the loan on a vehicle is more than the vehicle is worth, they won't bother with it. The truck is paid off, so they could sell it to pay down debts.

At this point, I'm struggling to try to understand wtf she's trying to say, but she's talking about paying off credit cards so I'm thinking, "meh, maybe she's learning".

SS: Anyone will give u a car loan just b high interest.. I dont care rather pay 4 something high price & have something 2 show than pay debt that u have nothing 2 show after!!!

If they're going to take away my car, I'd rather get more debt at high interest in something they won't sell off, than have them sell off my paid off car to pay the debts that I racked up.

*sigh* I guess not.

Her post a week earlier:

SMH

The wife and I will occasionally troll her page and ask each other, "have you seen the Teri show today?"  It's good entertainment, but man is it hard to watch...

Translated above. It's actually all about bankruptcy proceedings...

from http://www.bankruptcylawnetwork.com/what-are-exemptions-or-%E2%80%9Cwhat-can-i-keep-in-bankruptcy%E2%80%9D/

If something isn’t exempt, or if you run out of wildcard exemptions, one of several things will happen: if the asset has value, the bankruptcy Trustee can sell it and distribute the proceeds to your creditors. If the asset has no or minimal sale value (family photos, your 1983 Chevette with 200,000 miles or an old couch) or has no equity (a car or house that’s worth less than the loan you have on it) you usually can keep it. And even if an asset has value, the Trustee may decide that selling it is more trouble than it’s worth, or won’t bring in enough to justify the effort to sell it, and will abandon the asset (meaning you keep it).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #2771 on: July 30, 2015, 04:07:28 PM »

*sigh* I guess not.

Her post a week earlier:

SMH

My brain just collapsed in on itself reading that.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2772 on: July 30, 2015, 05:54:33 PM »

C1: If they take your trailblazer, it's because it's worth selling. They won't let you get a vehicle worth as much as a Wrangler.
SS: If the balance of the loan on a vehicle is more than the vehicle is worth, they won't bother with it. The truck is paid off, so they could sell it to pay down debts.

If they're going to take away my car, I'd rather get more debt at high interest in something they won't sell off, than have them sell off my paid off car to pay the debts that I racked up.

*sigh* I guess not.

Her post a week earlier:

SMH

from http://www.bankruptcylawnetwork.com/what-are-exemptions-or-%E2%80%9Cwhat-can-i-keep-in-bankruptcy%E2%80%9D/

If something isn’t exempt, or if you run out of wildcard exemptions, one of several things will happen: if the asset has value, the bankruptcy Trustee can sell it and distribute the proceeds to your creditors. If the asset has no or minimal sale value (family photos, your 1983 Chevette with 200,000 miles or an old couch) or has no equity (a car or house that’s worth less than the loan you have on it) you usually can keep it. And even if an asset has value, the Trustee may decide that selling it is more trouble than it’s worth, or won’t bring in enough to justify the effort to sell it, and will abandon the asset (meaning you keep it).

This explanation actually makes a lot of sense. But it's still like eating as many cheeseburgers as you can before getting liposuction...

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2773 on: July 30, 2015, 05:58:27 PM »
If the asset has no or minimal sale value (family photos, your 1983 Chevette with 200,000 miles or an old couch) or has no equity (a car or house that’s worth less than the loan you have on it) you usually can keep it.

It sounds to me that the correct solution would be to sell the TrailBlazer and buy a 1983 Chevette.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2774 on: July 30, 2015, 11:07:42 PM »

I don't understand this... so if I buy a new car for cash, and declare bankruptcy, they sell my car.  But if I take out a loan on the new car, and it's underwater the minute I drive it off the lot, I keep the car?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2775 on: July 31, 2015, 08:13:13 AM »
FB friend complained about her 475$ electric bill from last month and the power company monopoly.

She does live in a very hot part of the country with a dependent who has health issues and she rents so I can give her some slack for having fewer immediate options, but there was no request for how to conserve power or request for advice on reducing the bill.  It was all "big bad power company charging me lots of money"

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2776 on: July 31, 2015, 08:36:19 AM »
FB friend complained about her 475$ electric bill from last month and the power company monopoly.

She does live in a very hot part of the country with a dependent who has health issues and she rents so I can give her some slack for having fewer immediate options, but there was no request for how to conserve power or request for advice on reducing the bill.  It was all "big bad power company charging me lots of money"

Just my perspective, but in the US it seems normal to always blame the other side for one's problems.
Growing up in East Africa, when having a problem, teachers would tell us that 9/10 times the problem is ourselves, and that we must create a positive solution. Somewhat Eastern philosophy.

In developing countries that I have visited, loclals tell me they try to find a solution to a government problem. In the US, the solution is to bitch, whine, and moan. How many actually contact their local politicians?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 09:45:27 AM by jinga nation »

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2777 on: July 31, 2015, 09:11:27 AM »
In developing countries that I have visited, loclals tell me that try to find a solution to a government problem. In the US, the solution is to bitch, whine, and moan. How many actually contact their local politicians?

I'd be shocked if more than five percent of the US population can even name their local politicians (City Councilman, State Senator, etc.), let alone contact them.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2778 on: July 31, 2015, 10:23:01 AM »
In developing countries that I have visited, loclals tell me that try to find a solution to a government problem. In the US, the solution is to bitch, whine, and moan. How many actually contact their local politicians?

I'd be shocked if more than five percent of the US population can even name their local politicians (City Councilman, State Senator, etc.), let alone contact them.

Not sure why I need to know there names, with google it took me less than 3 seconds to get my mayors phone number, fax, email and the hours his office is open & address.  What good does knowing his name do me, I dont have a phone book to look him up in?  If you are using name knowledge as a quick test of 'political involvement' I guess I can sort of go with this but only a very short distance.  Heck I forget my coworkers names sometimes who are 20' down the hall :-)  A large point/usage of this interweb thingy is to 'offload' information from our brains on to 'the web' so we can focus on doing and thinking rather than bulk data storage between our ears which we are very bad at but computers are great at.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2779 on: July 31, 2015, 11:39:33 AM »

Not sure why I need to know there names, with google it took me less than 3 seconds to get my mayors phone number, fax, email and the hours his office is open & address.  What good does knowing his name do me, I dont have a phone book to look him up in?  If you are using name knowledge as a quick test of 'political involvement' I guess I can sort of go with this but only a very short distance.  Heck I forget my coworkers names sometimes who are 20' down the hall :-)  A large point/usage of this interweb thingy is to 'offload' information from our brains on to 'the web' so we can focus on doing and thinking rather than bulk data storage between our ears which we are very bad at but computers are great at.

True. A lot of people use the internet but too lazy to Google/Bing their local politician, get email address, and send an email about the issue.

My boss says there are two things every engineer in our workplace should know: using Google and MS TechNet. Sadly, many of our Tier 2 engineers/sys admins can't do that, this keeps us Tier 3/4 folks busy and employed.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #2780 on: July 31, 2015, 12:43:06 PM »

I don't understand this... so if I buy a new car for cash, and declare bankruptcy, they sell my car.  But if I take out a loan on the new car, and it's underwater the minute I drive it off the lot, I keep the car?

That's how it reads - on the linked site he even specifically says that. In fact the example on that site is even more egregious because the woman has two cars and keeps both of them! I get the principal that you shouldn't be destitute coming out of bankruptcy, but it seems like a weird approach. I guess if you're going into bankruptcy then the optimal strategy is to load all your assets with so much debt that they're underwater, so that you get to keep them? Bizarre.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2781 on: July 31, 2015, 01:00:06 PM »

*sigh* I guess not.

Her post a week earlier:

SMH

This explanation actually makes a lot of sense. But it's still like eating as many cheeseburgers as you can before getting liposuction...

Thanks for the explanation - that actually makes a lot of sense! The explanation, not her actions. My brain consistently hurts - nay, aches - after reading her posts.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2782 on: July 31, 2015, 02:22:35 PM »
Thanks for the explanation - that actually makes a lot of sense! The explanation, not her actions. My brain consistently hurts - nay, aches - after reading her posts.
So you too could be too big to fail - head on down to your local dealership today!

RysChristensen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2783 on: July 31, 2015, 05:52:04 PM »

Deciphering her "English" brings back the somewhat dubious joy of reading photocopied pages of Old English and various Pidgins in college. Is she any more coherent in person?? The bankruptcy thing never fails to piss me off, but that might be a little (you know, just a tad of) residual bitterness from watching someone go through bankruptcy and be able to erase his cc debt at 50 cents on the dollar for such charged items as a nice long vacation in Europe, while I sit here responsibly handling my money and going nowhere. But then, I get to purchase my dream property while he's frittering away his money on "treat yourself, yolo!" purchases and staring at the black mark on his credit score.

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #2784 on: August 01, 2015, 06:13:57 AM »
When I read bad grammar on Facebook I can't help but imagine that's how they talk but now I've got a few friends and cousins that write migraine-inducing posts and I just don't get it. I want to ask them, "do you ever give your posts a once-over before you post it? Does it make sense to you??"

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2785 on: August 01, 2015, 11:33:31 AM »
She is slightly more coherent in person, but the crazy shows through a little more clearly.

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2786 on: August 03, 2015, 01:00:45 AM »
She is slightly more coherent in person, but the crazy shows through a little more clearly.

There's a whole lot of crazy in that post...

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #2787 on: August 03, 2015, 08:46:46 AM »
No, I'm sorry, that's just an excuse they'd use. I do 2 jobs and raise 3 kids and we cook nearly every meal from scratch.
Absolutely. 3 jobs and 3 pets here, cook from scratch almost every day. It takes time to cook, but if you're time conscious you can keep it to 10-20 minutes. I love cooking, so I allow more if I'm feeling inspired, but that's strictly recreational. Last night I rolled in from 5 days working out of town and had hot fresh chicken tacos on plates in 10 minutes. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Eating out is only faster if you pretend that transit, ordering, prep, cooking, and paying the check don't take time. We live just minutes from several restaurants and would be hard pressed to eat and get home in an hour. Conversely, even an elaborate meal cooked and eaten at home rarely takes that long.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2788 on: August 03, 2015, 09:11:17 AM »
No, I'm sorry, that's just an excuse they'd use. I do 2 jobs and raise 3 kids and we cook nearly every meal from scratch.
Absolutely. 3 jobs and 3 pets here, cook from scratch almost every day. It takes time to cook, but if you're time conscious you can keep it to 10-20 minutes. I love cooking, so I allow more if I'm feeling inspired, but that's strictly recreational. Last night I rolled in from 5 days working out of town and had hot fresh chicken tacos on plates in 10 minutes. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Eating out is only faster if you pretend that transit, ordering, prep, cooking, and paying the check don't take time. We live just minutes from several restaurants and would be hard pressed to eat and get home in an hour. Conversely, even an elaborate meal cooked and eaten at home rarely takes that long.

Just to be a devil's advocate, the solution to that is ordering takeout. It takes a couple minutes at most to place the order over the phone, and then you do whatever you want/need to at home until the food gets there.
I understand you were explicitly talking about eating out, but if we're talking about excuses, we should be anticipating the common ones.

I still believe in cooking meals yourself - it's a lot healthier if you do it right, a lot cheaper, and as some other Mustachian pointed out on a thread a while back, you don't get better at picking up the phone to dial Pizza Hut, but you do get better at cooking, so the time costs shrink over time up to a point.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2789 on: August 03, 2015, 09:28:27 AM »
Just to be a devil's advocate, the solution to that is ordering takeout. It takes a couple minutes at most to place the order over the phone, and then you do whatever you want/need to at home until the food gets there.
I understand you were explicitly talking about eating out, but if we're talking about excuses, we should be anticipating the common ones.

I still believe in cooking meals yourself - it's a lot healthier if you do it right, a lot cheaper, and as some other Mustachian pointed out on a thread a while back, you don't get better at picking up the phone to dial Pizza Hut, but you do get better at cooking, so the time costs shrink over time up to a point.
And it's a valid option, if your time is truly that valuable. I doubt the low-income family in question would win out financially OR on time management by ordering takeout (which is usually some of the worst food you can buy, and *not* the cheapest).

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2790 on: August 03, 2015, 10:10:20 AM »

This isn't always an option. There is one restaurant (Pizza Hut- you couldn't pay me to eat it) that delivers to my house.  We can't even get Papa Johns, and they are closer than the Pizza Hut! No idea why all the other commonly delivered things within 5 miles of my house (Jimmy Johns, Chinese...) won't deliver, but we call and they all say we aren't on their map.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2791 on: August 03, 2015, 10:46:48 AM »

This isn't always an option. There is one restaurant (Pizza Hut- you couldn't pay me to eat it) that delivers to my house.  We can't even get Papa Johns, and they are closer than the Pizza Hut! No idea why all the other commonly delivered things within 5 miles of my house (Jimmy Johns, Chinese...) won't deliver, but we call and they all say we aren't on their map.

Does your address show up on Google Maps?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2792 on: August 03, 2015, 10:53:50 AM »

It does.  They can all see where we are. They just say they can't deliver there. No explanation. They deliver further than us, all around us; just not to us.

(And it's not a high crime area at all. It's like a zero crime area- I don't think there has been a reported crime in the subdivision's history. And it isn't that new- the neighborhood has been here 5 years.)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2793 on: August 03, 2015, 11:07:41 AM »

It does.  They can all see where we are. They just say they can't deliver there. No explanation. They deliver further than us, all around us; just not to us.

(And it's not a high crime area at all. It's like a zero crime area- I don't think there has been a reported crime in the subdivision's history. And it isn't that new- the neighborhood has been here 5 years.)

Bizarre.

The only other thing that comes to mind is if you live in a gated community, but that doesn't add up either because plenty of places deliver to such locations.

Do you know if your neighbors can get deliveries?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2794 on: August 03, 2015, 11:53:39 AM »

Bizarre.

The only other thing that comes to mind is if you live in a gated community, but that doesn't add up either because plenty of places deliver to such locations.

Do you know if your neighbors can get deliveries?

It would be really interesting to go in person and see this "map".  I wonder if they all use the same software that predates the subdivision or something.

Other possibility is a deadbeat used to live there and swindled so many delivery people the address is blacklisted

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2795 on: August 03, 2015, 12:49:31 PM »

It would be really interesting to go in person and see this "map".  I wonder if they all use the same software that predates the subdivision or something.

Other possibility is a deadbeat used to live there and swindled so many delivery people the address is blacklisted

It's probably your first guess. The whole area is no-delivery.  We have a neighborhood facebook page and people are CONSTANTLY asking who will deliver.

The good news for me is: I order takeout once a year or less. So it's mostly a non-issue.
We cook from scratch.  (Though most nights it does take more than an hour. Especially if we decide we want something like tacos- because it takes awhile to make tortillas.)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #2796 on: August 03, 2015, 01:31:55 PM »

It's probably your first guess. The whole area is no-delivery.  We have a neighborhood facebook page and people are CONSTANTLY asking who will deliver.

The good news for me is: I order takeout once a year or less. So it's mostly a non-issue.
We cook from scratch.  (Though most nights it does take more than an hour. Especially if we decide we want something like tacos- because it takes awhile to make tortillas.)

Maybe a good side gig.  Who delivers?  ME!  (For a reasonable fee)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2797 on: August 03, 2015, 02:08:09 PM »
It is possible to plan ahead a little and order takeout before you leave work, and then pick it up and carry it out on your way home from work.  With the little one, that's how we eat a lot of our restaurant meals.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2798 on: August 03, 2015, 02:56:55 PM »
It is possible to plan ahead a little and order takeout before you leave work, and then pick it up and carry it out on your way home from work.  With the little one, that's how we eat a lot of our restaurant meals.
Not a bad way to go, but have you also considered cooking in bulk and dividing portions? Plenty of things freeze/keep well.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2799 on: August 03, 2015, 03:11:49 PM »
Not a bad way to go, but have you also considered cooking in bulk and dividing portions? Plenty of things freeze/keep well.

We do that quite a bit, and prefer to do that (or to make food fresh that day).  Takeout is usually reserved for A) when we have something to do that evening and cooking will be a pain, or B) we've been away all weekend and not yet gotten to the grocery store for the week.  But those 1-2x a month we need it, it's the easiest way to do restaurant food.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!