Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082581 times)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #1950 on: April 15, 2015, 02:09:17 PM »
Why are all the atheists so mad at God?

Hard to be mad at something you don't believe exists :-)
Stop trying to confuse me with logic. Nobody really thinks there's no God, they just hate him cause of daddy issues. ;)
(I was actually fed this shit, and much more, growing up)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1951 on: April 15, 2015, 02:23:48 PM »
If God cared about starving children, why would He need to hear your prayers to help them?

I reject the premise of your question.

Bobberth

• Bristles
« Reply #1952 on: April 15, 2015, 03:52:20 PM »
A friend emailed me Saturday saying that he lost his oil rig job paying $180k/year because of low oil prices and wanted some guidance. 

Today he posted a picture of the Stanley Cup shaped popcorn popper he is getting for his son. 

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #1953 on: April 15, 2015, 05:01:25 PM »
A friend emailed me Saturday saying that he lost his oil rig job paying $180k/year because of low oil prices and wanted some guidance. 

Today he posted a picture of the Stanley Cup shaped popcorn popper he is getting for his son.

oh.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1954 on: April 15, 2015, 05:03:37 PM »

I am a much worse person for knowing that a Stanley Cup shaped popcorn popper exists.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1955 on: April 15, 2015, 05:24:45 PM »
Apparently men aren't allowed to like station wagons.

Learned this at work today :)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1956 on: April 15, 2015, 05:42:21 PM »

My coworkers are the same. Yet they love CUVs/SUVs, which are not much different than a raised wagon. I don't get it...

Rubyist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1957 on: April 15, 2015, 05:50:13 PM »
From a coworker, accompanied by photos of a new car: "By the grace of God I was approved for a new car!" Comments are things like, "You deserve it!" and "God is blessing you!"

Reminds me of my cousin, who felt it was a "blessing" when she got a 0% credit card in time to pay her taxes, after getting an extension because she owed more than expected.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1958 on: April 16, 2015, 07:22:10 AM »

My mother has a Passat wagon.  They are not made any longer.  I told her I have dibs.  I'm a man.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1959 on: April 16, 2015, 07:38:53 AM »

Station wagons and minivans -- eminently practical, completely unhip vehicles. Which is fine with me, makes 'em cheaper to buy used.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1960 on: April 16, 2015, 09:25:45 AM »

Station wagons and minivans -- eminently practical, completely unhip vehicles. Which is fine with me, makes 'em cheaper to buy used.

Unfortunately it also means not many people are buying new so there aren't as many used ones to go around. For example, my wife's car is a 2005 Legacy GT wagon with the manual transmission. That was the only year of that body style they offered the manual and turbo together on the wagon. I just checked Autotrader and there are zero for sale right now nationwide.

0.09% of new vehicles are manual transmission wagons (doesn't include hatchbacks like the Honda Fit):
http://jalopnik.com/only-0-09-percent-of-new-cars-are-manual-wagons-and-tha-1454259605

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1961 on: April 16, 2015, 09:49:01 AM »
If God cared about starving children, why would He need to hear your prayers to help them?

Did that come across as angry to you?  It was just a question about something that didn't make sense to me.

FWIW, I'm not an atheist.  I don't believe in a caring God though, too much experience with the natural world.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1962 on: April 16, 2015, 10:01:02 AM »

Did that come across as angry to you?  It was just a question about something that didn't make sense to me.

FWIW, I'm not an atheist.  I don't believe in a caring God though, too much experience with the natural world.

I prefer the term 'apatheist' over 'atheist'. I only have so many fucks to give, and god doesn't get one.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1963 on: April 16, 2015, 10:54:36 AM »

My coworkers are the same. Yet they love CUVs/SUVs, which are not much different than a raised wagon. I don't get it...
That's what really gets me.  My minivan seats as many people (8) as a full-sized SUV, and has, I would argue, similar cargo capacity.  My 4-door Corolla seats as many people (and as comfortably) as a crossover, and has just as much trunk space.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1964 on: April 16, 2015, 11:13:19 AM »

I prefer the term 'apatheist' over 'atheist'. I only have so many fucks to give, and god doesn't get one.

please don't let this thread descend into a religious one.  can we just be united in poking fun at overspenders?

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1965 on: April 16, 2015, 11:52:53 AM »

please don't let this thread descend into a religious one.  can we just be united in poking fun at overspenders?

Bah humbug.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1966 on: April 16, 2015, 01:03:47 PM »
Can we go back to worshipping at the altar of the mustache?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1967 on: April 16, 2015, 01:27:18 PM »
I've never seen any evidence of this so called mustache.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1968 on: April 16, 2015, 01:35:51 PM »

LOL! good one!

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #1969 on: April 16, 2015, 02:11:26 PM »

We love our Dodge Grand Caravan, but I am almost to the point of having to paint it up like the A-Team Van to make it acceptable to the DH

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #1970 on: April 16, 2015, 03:33:41 PM »

Have you ever seen anything to prove that this mustache doesn't exist? I've never seen anything that fully disproves flying spaghetti monsters...

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1971 on: April 16, 2015, 07:00:52 PM »

We love our Dodge Grand Caravan, but I am almost to the point of having to paint it up like the A-Team Van to make it acceptable to the DH
Oh hell Yea!  Practical and bad ass! I love it when a plan comes together (lights cigar).

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #1972 on: April 16, 2015, 10:25:04 PM »

Oh hell Yea!  Practical and bad ass! I love it when a plan comes together (lights cigar).

I know this is making the OT worse, but I have to mention the van we recently saw at Zion National Park in a campground.  It had been painted with black chalkboard paint, and the lovely sorta hippie college students to which it belonged invited passerby to graffiti it with the chalk they had brought.  I have to say I thought this was super fun.   Art cars!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1973 on: April 17, 2015, 08:01:22 AM »

Have you ever seen anything to prove that this mustache doesn't exist? I've never seen anything that fully disproves flying spaghetti monsters...

Good point.  I hadn't thought of that.  I've never seen evidence disproving it, so it must be real.

wild wendella

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1974 on: April 17, 2015, 08:15:55 AM »
Overheard on the internet: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/signs-you-re-too-cheap-194415354.html

This article is good entertainment.  Apparently if you clean your own house, do your own laundry or don't pop for an occasional massage or pedicure, you're cheap!  Who knew?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1975 on: April 17, 2015, 08:48:10 AM »
The housekeeper thing is especially ridiculous.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1976 on: April 17, 2015, 09:57:57 AM »
Overheard on the internet: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/signs-you-re-too-cheap-194415354.html

This article is good entertainment.  Apparently if you clean your own house, do your own laundry or don't pop for an occasional massage or pedicure, you're cheap!  Who knew?
Holy smokes.  Ok, the pill thing I *kinda* understand, since your doctor is presumably prescribing you the correct dosage.  But this:
When you spend money on a housekeeper, a laundry service, or a REAL plumber to fix that leaky faucet, you’re buying yourself something valuable in return — time.
I don't know whether to laugh or smack my head.  I suppose you're buying yourself time now, at the cost of a whole lot more time later, when you have to work an extra week to pay for each house cleaning.  There's also the whole "teach your kids to do hard work" aspect being totally ignored here.

I think they got *one* right: "You choose cost over quality."  That one I agree with. BIFL, buy once cry once, etc.  Of course, that doesn't necessitate buying something brand new, nor does it mean buying the most expensive.
/looks at my 50-year-old table saw with cast iron top that I bought for $125.

"You buy fixer-uppers" - talk about a culture of helplessness!  There's the assumption that the vast majority of the population is incapable of learning how to fix things.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1977 on: April 17, 2015, 01:05:57 PM »
Holy smokes.  Ok, the pill thing I *kinda* understand, since your doctor is presumably prescribing you the correct dosage. 
The point of a pill cutter is that you ask your doctor to prescribe you double the dosage so that you can cut it in half and only pay half the copay for your medicine. Taking half your prescribed dosage? That's not smart. Not only is pill cutting just smart and not a cheapskate thing to do, it's an established practice and it's the whole reason that pills come scored in the middle.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1978 on: April 18, 2015, 07:37:30 AM »
Holy smokes.  Ok, the pill thing I *kinda* understand, since your doctor is presumably prescribing you the correct dosage. 
The point of a pill cutter is that you ask your doctor to prescribe you double the dosage so that you can cut it in half and only pay half the copay for your medicine. Taking half your prescribed dosage? That's not smart. Not only is pill cutting just smart and not a cheapskate thing to do, it's an established practice and it's the whole reason that pills come scored in the middle.

... or to allow someone who has trouble swallowing pills to make absurdly large pills/vitamins smaller.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1979 on: April 19, 2015, 11:16:27 AM »

Good news, it's a suppository.

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #1980 on: April 19, 2015, 03:24:08 PM »
"You buy fixer-uppers" - talk about a culture of helplessness!  There's the assumption that the vast majority of the population is incapable of learning how to fix things.

Here's the scariest part: The vast majority of the population is unwilling of learning how to fix even small problems.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 03:25:52 PM by bzzzt »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1981 on: April 19, 2015, 05:35:14 PM »
Mhm. Perhaps my favorite show.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1982 on: April 19, 2015, 06:51:54 PM »

Here's the scariest part: The vast majority of the population is unwilling of learning how to fix even small problems.

Damn, that sure is true!   I mention what house rehab work I'm doing to people I know and some will make the comment that they wish they knew how to do that.  My reply is a friendly, "Well, come on over and you'll learn!".   

Talk about panic attacks!   They can't change the subject fast enough.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1983 on: April 19, 2015, 07:44:57 PM »

Damn, that sure is true!   I mention what house rehab work I'm doing to people I know and some will make the comment that they wish they knew how to do that.  My reply is a friendly, "Well, come on over and you'll learn!".   

Lol this day and age don't you just fire up the youtube machine and figure out how to do shit? I often think about how much harder it was to solve problems before the internet. It just seems exhausting.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1984 on: April 20, 2015, 07:36:04 AM »

Funny innit?
I'm 36 and just starting to get good at a lot of those things. A mostly-DIY rehab, spanning the last 4 months, of one half of a duplex we bought in December, has been one of the hardest, and most rewarding, experiences of my adult life.
I can understand not knowing. I was taught nearly nothing growing up, and only after my house in Mississippi was hit by Hurricane Katrina (just under a decade ago) did a neighbor take pity and teach me a few things - roofing and fence repair, among others. I'm still playing catch-up and there is a lot I don't know - no shame in that.
I cannot understand not wanting to know. I always wanted to know. The more property I acquire the more I need to know. Contractors are fucking expensive!

And all that aside, buying fixer-uppers - anything from a small tool to a building - is one of the most tried-and-true ways to pay less than something is worth. Even if you have to pay someone else to fix it, it can be incredibly lucrative for investors.

I wonder if they've ever heard of a guy named Warren Buffett....

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1985 on: April 20, 2015, 04:21:23 PM »
Several people talking about this bracelet because wearing a hair elastic on your wrist is unsophisticated. But paying $45 to $85 for a bracelet to hold your hair elastic is genius!

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7088992?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000063

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1986 on: April 20, 2015, 08:57:09 PM »

Are you free on Saturday? ;)

We bought our first house about 6 months ago, and we're slowly doing the work ourselves.  It's been a slow process, but we enjoy our weekend projects.  Next weekend is landscaping--tearing down two trees.
Lol in my circle of friends all you have to do is offer some food and beer for a Saturday of work. Of course it is implied that when someone else needs help you return the favor.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1987 on: April 20, 2015, 09:23:36 PM »
Several people talking about this bracelet because wearing a hair elastic on your wrist is unsophisticated. But paying $45 to $85 for a bracelet to hold your hair elastic is genius!

That's hilarious!  But then I think about how much I'm paying for my garage to hold my car that's only worth $1k...

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1988 on: April 21, 2015, 07:18:51 AM »

That's hilarious!  But then I think about how much I'm paying for my garage to hold my car that's only worth $1k...

you know, as someone who wears a hair tie on my wrist anytime I'm not sleeping and don't have one in my hair, I didn't realize I looked unsophisticated (LOL)... but I will say it is annoying/uncomfortable sometimes when the hair tie is a little too small. $45 is nuts though, I'd try one of these if I could find it at Goodwill for $5 or something.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1989 on: April 21, 2015, 09:43:57 AM »

you know, as someone who wears a hair tie on my wrist anytime I'm not sleeping and don't have one in my hair, I didn't realize I looked unsophisticated (LOL)... but I will say it is annoying/uncomfortable sometimes when the hair tie is a little too small. $45 is nuts though, I'd try one of these if I could find it at Goodwill for $5 or something.

Yeah, the only thing sadder than the fact that this thing costs $45 is how completely off-the-chain excited the author of the article is about it. 

Vertical Mode

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1990 on: April 22, 2015, 07:44:36 AM »
Saw this on my FB feed this AM:

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #1991 on: April 22, 2015, 08:25:38 AM »

I know this is making the OT worse, but I have to mention the van we recently saw at Zion National Park in a campground.  It had been painted with black chalkboard paint, and the lovely sorta hippie college students to which it belonged invited passerby to graffiti it with the chalk they had brought.  I have to say I thought this was super fun.   Art cars!

OT continued...I saw an art car parade in Houston years ago and havent quite given up on the idea that I should go nuts with my mini-van and have fun with it....60's VW love-bus is my favorite theme for the Grand Caravan, but then DH will really never drive it.

DS wants us to paint it up like the Mystery Machine :)

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1992 on: April 22, 2015, 12:03:30 PM »

That is an excellent invention and she will probably make a lot of money on it. Good for her. I won't be buying one, because I can already put it in my pocket/purse/or hair for free :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1993 on: April 22, 2015, 12:38:07 PM »

OT continued...I saw an art car parade in Houston years ago and havent quite given up on the idea that I should go nuts with my mini-van and have fun with it....60's VW love-bus is my favorite theme for the Grand Caravan, but then DH will really never drive it.

DS wants us to paint it up like the Mystery Machine :)

Oh yeah? You ever see one of these babies?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1994 on: April 22, 2015, 12:49:08 PM »
Is that a selfie?

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1995 on: April 22, 2015, 01:02:50 PM »

Yeah, the only thing sadder than the fact that this thing costs $45 is how completely off-the-chain excited the author of the article is about it.

That bracelet thingy isn't going to look nearly as cute when your hair tie doesn't match your outfit like it does in all those photos. I would be the person with the fancy bracelet and bight orange hair tie in a teal outfit or something because that was the only hair tie I could find that morning. Ruins the effect I would expect.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1996 on: April 22, 2015, 06:03:01 PM »
There is serious discussion of revamping the military retirement system.  I'm ambivalent at this point because I'm so far into my career if I make it to 20 years I'll get the current 50% pension.  I also max out my TSP contributions.  The basic jist of the reform plan is to more heavily rely on the TSP and give service members a match and give them a smaller pension at 20 years.  It's something like a 5% match and 40% pension at 20 years.  One of the military-themed Facebook groups I subscribe to posted the latest reports from WaPo to start the discusssion.  Half the comments were internet rage screaming "they're stealing from us!" and "the stock market is too dangerous to use!"  It hurts my head when I correct some of these people with easily researchable facts about the stock market.  They either don't know how the TSP works "It's government run so they can just take your money when they want!" or "There aren't enough variety of funds, they're shortchanging us!" or think using the TSP means just sticking with low-yield bonds.  Another popular comment was "you're taking money out of their pockets by making them fund their own retirement!"

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1997 on: April 22, 2015, 07:46:38 PM »
One of my FB friends said she's way over on her data plan and so she'll be back later. Apparently last month's bill was 1400. I really hope that was a typo!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1998 on: April 23, 2015, 07:16:30 AM »
There is serious discussion of revamping the military retirement system.  I'm ambivalent at this point because I'm so far into my career if I make it to 20 years I'll get the current 50% pension.  I also max out my TSP contributions.  The basic jist of the reform plan is to more heavily rely on the TSP and give service members a match and give them a smaller pension at 20 years.  It's something like a 5% match and 40% pension at 20 years.  One of the military-themed Facebook groups I subscribe to posted the latest reports from WaPo to start the discusssion.  Half the comments were internet rage screaming "they're stealing from us!" and "the stock market is too dangerous to use!"  It hurts my head when I correct some of these people with easily researchable facts about the stock market.  They either don't know how the TSP works "It's government run so they can just take your money when they want!" or "There aren't enough variety of funds, they're shortchanging us!" or think using the TSP means just sticking with low-yield bonds.  Another popular comment was "you're taking money out of their pockets by making them fund their own retirement!"
That kind of shit is one of the most irritating aspects of military culture to me. The DoD is full of people who are politically/fiscally conservative and rage on and on about the advance of socialism in 'Murica, but expect their finite term of service to translate to essentially infinite benefits (and feel it's the government's job to lower the price of gas). Most don't know a got-dam thing about personal finance, economics or fiscal policy beyond some partisan talking points they heard on TV, but feel qualified (and constantly compelled) to offer incessant commentary on all of the above. Many have never lived outside small towns in the South but glibly prescribe socioeconomic policy solutions for urban areas because it worked in their village of 25,000. Or even worse, they actually went to some of those places and still think their perspective and life strategy is the only valid one.
I should stop ranting... I could go all day tho :P

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1999 on: April 23, 2015, 07:24:47 AM »

Many have never lived outside small towns in the South

I've worked in DoD as a contractor for many years and my DH is a retired officer.  I can't think of ANY military member that has only lived in small towns in the South.  They usually get deployed at least a few times in the career and it's seldom to small towns in the South. 

Working in software development certainly doesn't give me the "average" military member but the ones I work with are usually very educated with foreign and domestic military policies.  I'll agree that they are usually VERY conservative in a fiscal sense.  My husband is SOOOOOO conservative.  He's already FI and could FIRE right now.  But, he wants to work another X years to get his second govt pension.  I would FIRE today if I had the money!  Like right now....walk straight out the damn door and never look back.

but I digress.

It appears my quoting skills need work.  sorry. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:26:47 AM by Giro »