Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082414 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #1850 on: March 20, 2015, 06:54:47 AM »
Where's the one for Army Husband?

If the sticker in the PX is a reliable source, being an Army Wife is the hardest job in the Army.  Show her you care with this 1/5 CT TDW Army Wife pendant.  Of course if you're frugal with that sweet sweet BAH money, than it should be enough to support the spouse without having to work.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1851 on: March 20, 2015, 11:27:00 AM »

If the sticker in the PX is a reliable source, being an Army Wife is the hardest job in the Army.  Show her you care with this 1/5 CT TDW Army Wife pendant.  Of course if you're frugal with that sweet sweet BAH money, than it should be enough to support the spouse without having to work.

Not much jewelry available.  No Army Husband bling bling shows we still have work to do in being an all inclusive society.  How about a flask to tide you over?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1852 on: March 21, 2015, 07:15:33 AM »
Such stereotyping.  And it only holds 1 oz?

Not much jewelry available.  No Army Husband bling bling shows we still have work to do in being an all inclusive society.  How about a flask to tide you over?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1853 on: March 21, 2015, 12:59:14 PM »
Such stereotyping.  And it only holds 1 oz?

For when you only want to do 2/3 of a shot.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1854 on: March 21, 2015, 02:50:15 PM »
I am so glad I am not on facebook. I would be calling people out if I saw these posts and probably losing friends in the process.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #1855 on: March 22, 2015, 12:03:37 PM »
A male friend's FB Post: "She told me were heading to the mall to buy her a dress and wound up with THIS!"

Cue to close-up photo of a brilliant diamond on her ring finger. Apparently after five years of marriage, she was due for an upgrade?

Further down, after many gushing comments and 100+ likes, he then posts a photo of HIS own ring finger w/a BUTT-ASS ugly band (looked like a nut or bolt from my husband's garage). And makes the comment, "I upgraded too!"

Dafaq. These two have GMAC, Ford Motor credit, Discover card, etc judgments against them on the state circuit court website. Granted it was 8-10 years ago, but those records don't go away.

He got a VA loan on their 400K home with 0% down. How is that even possible?

Saves NOTHING in his 401k but brags that he makes 200K in sales-- may or may not be true -- guy is a consummate  bragger/bullshitter.

Made a comment to me once that as long as he has enough money to pay the bills he has no worries. Acknowledged that if he lost his job tomorrow, his family of five would be on the street one day later.

He says the reason he lives high on the hog is because he grew up in extreme poverty with no dad and mentally ill (hoarder) mother. This is his way of showing the world he 'made it'.  Aaargghhh.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1856 on: March 22, 2015, 02:15:02 PM »
Acknowledged that if he lost his job tomorrow, his family of five would be on the street one day later.

WOW!  Daily mortgage/rent payments?

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1857 on: March 22, 2015, 04:14:16 PM »

VA loans are also available to active duty soldiers and I think the 0% is intended to help with the frequent moving?  (Whether or not they should be purchasing with that frequency of move is a whole different question...)

I'm guilty of using a 0% VA loan, but we did do our research on the costs of buying vs. renting first (though this was pre-MMM and I have a feeling that if I did the math again we'd come out as a wash or in favor of renting, whereas before buying was solidly the top choice). 

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #1858 on: March 23, 2015, 07:06:38 AM »
An acquaintance posted 2 days ago about how they are struggling financially and sometimes aren't able to pay the electricity bill in full, etc.

Today they posted about the brand-new Keurig they just bought. I'n hoping maybe it was purchased with a gift card, but I doubt it.
If you can't pay the bills, coffee is a luxury in my opinion....

How karma-perfect would it be if in the middle of brewing up a Keurig the electricity was shut off?

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1859 on: March 23, 2015, 09:56:20 AM »
Friend: When the wife goes back to work after maternity leave we're talking about trading in my car (had for less than a year) for something that can fit 3 car seats
Me: I've heard numerous stories of people fitting three car seats in cars like a Honda Fit, you just need the right car seats
F: But then I'd have to buy new car seats, I don't want to do that
Me: So you'd rather buy a new car? That's some logic for you right there

I'm actually proud of myself for getting that out in a light hearted tone so I didn't sound too judgmental but his wife has a 9 passenger SUV and I can't even imaging they'd need to have all three kids in his car very often anyway. He just gave a non-committal shrug that said "yeah it's dumb but we're probably going to do it anyway" and started talking about mid-sized Jeeps

Isn't it hysterical? I'd rather spend 12k than a couple hundred because it's "easier." The ruined day of being at a car dealership is enough to make me avoid it as long as possible.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1860 on: March 23, 2015, 10:08:53 AM »
Friend: When the wife goes back to work after maternity leave we're talking about trading in my car (had for less than a year) for something that can fit 3 car seats
Me: I've heard numerous stories of people fitting three car seats in cars like a Honda Fit, you just need the right car seats

I'm actually proud of myself for getting that out in a light hearted tone so I didn't sound too judgmental but his wife has a 9 passenger SUV and I can't even imaging they'd need to have all three kids in his car very often anyway. He just gave a non-committal shrug that said "yeah it's dumb but we're probably going to do it anyway" and started talking about mid-sized Jeeps

Isn't it hysterical? I'd rather spend 12k than a couple hundred because it's "easier." The ruined day of being at a car dealership is enough to make me avoid it as long as possible.

Can't place link from Youtube but reminds me Krusty the Klown when he had financial problems, there's a line in particular, "My house is dirty, go buy me a new one!" And an assistant runs off to do as he wants, a moment later Krusty is lighting a cigar with a $100 bill.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1861 on: March 23, 2015, 10:45:49 AM »

I don't know what to say to people like this. Unfortunately logic is lost on some people.
I guess there isn't really anything to say. All you can do is share the story with your logical friends for your amusement (and the MMM community ;) ).

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1862 on: March 25, 2015, 11:45:02 AM »
My cousin linked a gofundme fundraiser for a $4800 surgery for her dog (ruptured 2 vertebrae and can't walk). They "love him like family" but can't afford the surgery. I feel conflicted... How do you not have and extra 5k lying around in case of an emergency (they have a baby after all)? At the very least, use a credit card. I feel very sad for her. If my dogs were hurt and surgery would give them a happy full life, then I'd pay for it to be done. I just can't help but think, why should I have to pay for your dog when I already prepared for mine? I'm a horrible person, right?

No you're not. I'm an animal lover. But seriously, an injury like that and you can't get it treated immediately (or even with treatment the quality of life isn't great), then put the animal down. That animal is in incredible pain.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1863 on: March 25, 2015, 12:09:21 PM »

Apparently they knew Dachshunds are prone to disc problems. I guess the positive is that they already know that 40% interest on a 6 month vet payment plan is way out of their budget? Oy vey.

What the hell kind of crazy vet do they have?  40% interest to set up a payment plan.  That is robbery.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1864 on: March 25, 2015, 12:46:48 PM »
A male friend's FB Post: "She told me were heading to the mall to buy her a dress and wound up with THIS!"

Cue to close-up photo of a brilliant diamond on her ring finger. Apparently after five years of marriage, she was due for an upgrade?

Further down, after many gushing comments and 100+ likes, he then posts a photo of HIS own ring finger w/a BUTT-ASS ugly band (looked like a nut or bolt from my husband's garage). And makes the comment, "I upgraded too!"

Dafaq. These two have GMAC, Ford Motor credit, Discover card, etc judgments against them on the state circuit court website. Granted it was 8-10 years ago, but those records don't go away.

Saves NOTHING in his 401k but brags that he makes 200K in sales-- may or may not be true -- guy is a consummate  bragger/bullshitter.

Made a comment to me once that as long as he has enough money to pay the bills he has no worries. Acknowledged that if he lost his job tomorrow, his family of five would be on the street one day later.

He says the reason he lives high on the hog is because he grew up in extreme poverty with no dad and mentally ill (hoarder) mother. This is his way of showing the world he 'made it'.  Aaargghhh.

I have never understood the notion that someone needs to "upgrade" their ring.  It's just mind-boggling stupidity to me, but I do have a friend who is young, has massive student loan debts, just bought a house and got a dog, has been married for less than 3 years and has sometimes posted about money problems, yet they felt the need to upgrade her ring.  It is, naturally, hideous.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised since this is also the same person who posts about her weight loss goals, posts a few things about exercise, then posts a picture of her and her husband getting fast food for dinner because it's "so delish!"  I've also seen the two of them sitting in one of their cars at lunch, with the car running for heat obviously, eating fast food.  This is a regular occurrence.  The idea that they could eat something other than fast food/takeout, or even just walk into the building they're in front of to eat rather than running their SUV for twenty minutes outside, doesn't seem to occur to them.  There really does seem to be a logical disconnect somewhere in her mind.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1865 on: March 25, 2015, 07:31:30 PM »
Do I need to elaborate on this?  Facebook today...

"ISO somewhere in the area that sells puppy birthday cakes. Need to get one tomorrow."

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1866 on: March 26, 2015, 06:57:10 AM »

"ISO somewhere in the area that sells puppy birthday cakes. Need to get one tomorrow."

Stick a candle in a can of dog food. Or the litter box for that matter. Dog would love either one.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1867 on: March 26, 2015, 07:26:06 AM »

Stick a candle in a can of dog food. Or the litter box for that matter. Dog would love either one.

Joggernot - say you can provide a cake and do exactly this :D. I see a side business.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1868 on: March 26, 2015, 10:21:44 AM »
If it hadn't been needed by tomorrow, I would have mixed up a box cake, drawn a dog on it, and charged $40 for the rush job.  Yep, could be a good side business, although the candle in the cat box probably would have been appreciated by the dog more than the cake...:)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1869 on: March 26, 2015, 11:17:20 AM »
I work next door to a dog bakery. No human food sold, just upscale dog treats, handmade in house. They have been there for 10 years, so not a start up that is going to fail.

1 pound of undecorated biscuits is $10.99-$12.99
Decorated biscuits (they look like fancy cookies) are about $3 each!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1870 on: March 26, 2015, 11:33:16 AM »
I work next door to a dog bakery. No human food sold, just upscale dog treats, handmade in house. They have been there for 10 years, so not a start up that is going to fail.

I made dog treats at home once for super cheap, but I can't even imagine spending $3 per treat!

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1871 on: March 26, 2015, 12:02:30 PM »

A good dog is a better investment than a poor person.  That's the only conclusion I can see where luxury dog biscuits cost $3 and subsidized meals for the needy cost $1.59.

Unfortunately we have too many homeless dogs and homeless people.  At least the people get no kill shelters.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1872 on: March 26, 2015, 01:22:41 PM »

I made dog treats at home once for super cheap, but I can't even imagine spending $3 per treat!

me too, it was awesome! every time I had to cut fat off chicken but lost a little meat with it, I put it in the freezer. so I had this bag of frozen chicken fat and scraps. I threw it in the stand mixer with some old chopped butternut squash I also had in the freezer, plus flour and eggs to hold it together. then I put little scoops of it in mini muffin tins and baked it. it was awesome, a fun project for someone who likes to bake, my dog of course loved it as did all the dogs at our running club, and I got to feel hilariously hipster and awesome about my dog eating these gourmet treats made with locally grown squash. LOL.

87tweetybirds

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1873 on: March 26, 2015, 09:18:49 PM »
Saw a good anti-antimustachian one on Facebook today. Someone was talking about the deals they got at various Boxing Day sales. One of the replies was:

"I save a ton of money every year on Boxing Day.  Haven't been in a store on Boxing Day in decades."

Love this! I saved a fortune this year's Black Friday, of course I spent it by sleeping in, and then when I was up I ate leftovers and read a book.

(This ones a bit old, but still relevant) I not only save, I earn time and a half by working Black Friday. Last year the company decided to make blackfriday holiday pay, and since I'd rather be shot than be in a store that day, it's worked well for me

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1874 on: March 26, 2015, 11:55:00 PM »
Saw a good anti-antimustachian one on Facebook today. Someone was talking about the deals they got at various Boxing Day sales. One of the replies was:

"I save a ton of money every year on Boxing Day.  Haven't been in a store on Boxing Day in decades."

Love this! I saved a fortune this year's Black Friday, of course I spent it by sleeping in, and then when I was up I ate leftovers and read a book.

(This ones a bit old, but still relevant) I not only save, I earn time and a half by working Black Friday. Last year the company decided to make blackfriday holiday pay, and since I'd rather be shot than be in a store that day, it's worked well for me

Haha well I did literally save money on Black Friday by buying a $300 gift card at Target for $270, and $11.70 in cash back on my credit card - that's a 13.9% discount!
I've spent $217 of it so far, mostly on food.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1875 on: March 30, 2015, 09:01:47 AM »

There's re-sellers who make most of their money on giftcards and promos like this. It's nuts and one of those machines that requires the companies to keep it up the deals, but it'st still neat.

Haha well I did literally save money on Black Friday by buying a $300 gift card at Target for $270, and $11.70 in cash back on my credit card - that's a 13.9% discount!
I've spent $217 of it so far, mostly on food.

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1876 on: April 04, 2015, 02:07:47 AM »
Same mom who could not afford her phone bill a few months back has now purchased:
CUSTOM Diaper Bag Set- Expedient Diaper Bag w/ Changing Pad and Wetbag- PREMIUM FABRIC
$185.74 CAD

https://www.etsy.com/listing/220119351/custom-diaper-bag-set-expedient-diaper

Everyone needs a Happy Potter diaper bag! ;)

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #1877 on: April 04, 2015, 01:06:43 PM »
Same mom who could not afford her phone bill a few months back has now purchased:
CUSTOM Diaper Bag Set- Expedient Diaper Bag w/ Changing Pad and Wetbag- PREMIUM FABRIC
$185.74 CAD

Who's "Happy Potter"? Is that Harry Potter's lost brother? lol

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1878 on: April 04, 2015, 05:25:46 PM »
LOL! Maybe it's a Harry Potter knock off. No idea how I miss typed that!

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #1879 on: April 04, 2015, 06:03:49 PM »

inSecurity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1880 on: April 05, 2015, 02:50:16 AM »
First, I haven't found many women who enjoy being called "females," which is a completely unsolicited anecdote, but take it or leave it.

As for your question, the kind of ring each woman will want (what gem, what size, what style, if she prioritizes size or quality, or even wants a ring at all) will vary greatly based on the woman in question. Ideally, by the time you plan to propose you will know and understand your future bride well enough to know what styles she gravitates toward, or you'll be in a relationship that's comfortable and mature enough to allow the two of you to have frank discussions about the topic.
I'm so happy that my wife was cool with me proposing before I got a ring.  We went to a pawn shop later that week and got a ring for ~400.  I still wish she hadn't wanted one at all, but meh.  I hadn't found the site yet at the time so who knows how it would go today.

bludreamin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1881 on: April 05, 2015, 09:30:33 AM »
"The Easter Bunny Visited" under a picture of massive baskets filled with candy along with a new American doll and dirt bike....

My thought - when did Easter become Xmas? Then I feel old beside the next thought is "when I was a kid all I got was candy and I had to search for it hiding in plastic eggs"

Although I've not seen complaints about money from this poster I have seen complaints about job dissatisfaction... Oh and probably most annoying complaints at Xmas time of the use of "happy holidays" instead of "Merry Xmas" AND complaining about commercialization of Christian holidays (that one is really the icing on the hypocritical cake)

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #1882 on: April 05, 2015, 10:32:22 AM »
A certain person has been posting on my feed all week, begging for work clothes because she just got a new job but has no money to buy clothes. I'm not sure why her old clothing won't work, because she is still in the same industry which is a "business casual" industry.

Today, the Easter basket pictures popped up. There were brand new video games, an RC car, and a new cell phone. (Not a smart phone at least. Her oldest is only 9.)

I'm only "friends" with this person because our kids are in a club together, so I decided to rock the boat. "Wow! How did you get all the loot? I thought you had to save for work clothes?"

Her retort? "Oh, my mom sent me some money for clothes but I decided the kids were more important."

Yep, you're such a martyr. An irresponsible, selfish, ignorant martyr.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1883 on: April 05, 2015, 01:21:56 PM »
$185.74 CAD

I have a love/hate relationship with Etsy. On the one hand, I love the entrepreneurship and hand made items. On the other, everything is so damned expensive that my Mustachian side just can't purchase anything.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1884 on: April 05, 2015, 01:50:40 PM »
"The Easter Bunny Visited" under a picture of massive baskets filled with candy along with a new American doll and dirt bike....

My thought - when did Easter become Xmas? Then I feel old beside the next thought is "when I was a kid all I got was candy and I had to search for it hiding in plastic eggs"

Although I've not seen complaints about money from this poster I have seen complaints about job dissatisfaction... Oh and probably most annoying complaints at Xmas time of the use of "happy holidays" instead of "Merry Xmas" AND complaining about commercialization of Christian holidays (that one is really the icing on the hypocritical cake)

I hate the anti-"Happy Holidays" rants. Even if you're Christian and everyone else you ever meet is also Christian, you're still celebrating Christmas and New Years in close succession, so "Happy Holidays" is appropriate. It's basically "I want to be able to pretend that no one exists who is different from me, just like the 1950s."

Those who take it one step further choose to rant against the abbreviation "Xmas", as it's "crossing Christ out of the holiday". Except that X (or the Greek letter Chi) has been used by Christians to abbreviate Christ for going on 19 centuries.

Back on topic:

Post from a friend-of-a-friend: "2014 Taxes are done! Only owed Uncle Sam an additional $1008 and [State] an additional $186. I'm sure they will give it back someday... Not"

Response: "You had to pay in? here I was going to ask you for insight on getting the most out of uncle Sam!"

Because the goal is to get a tax refund, of course.

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1885 on: April 05, 2015, 02:12:00 PM »
Of course Uncle Sam and the state are giving it back every day.  Where does she think roads, street lights, police forces, food inspectors, national security, and all that come from?  They get volunteers to undertake all that?

But definitely lol about people who think that getting a tax refund (in other words, overpaying your taxes) is free money.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1886 on: April 05, 2015, 02:13:48 PM »
Back on topic:

Post from a friend-of-a-friend: "2014 Taxes are done! Only owed Uncle Sam an additional $1008 and [State] an additional $186. I'm sure they will give it back someday... Not"

Response: "You had to pay in? here I was going to ask you for insight on getting the most out of uncle Sam!"

*sigh*

If only people would understand that the friend of a friend did it far closer to optimal than most Americans (dunno if that person ended up paying penalties for underpayment of tax, but even if he or she did, it can't have been all that much for that low a balance).
I believe the average tax refund for households in this country is $3k.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1887 on: April 05, 2015, 02:44:10 PM »
Back on topic:

*sigh*

If only people would understand that the friend of a friend did it far closer to optimal than most Americans (dunno if that person ended up paying penalties for underpayment of tax, but even if he or she did, it can't have been all that much for that low a balance).

The W-4 is biased towards refunds. If you set the correct number of allowances and don't have any other income it is designed to overwithhold.

shedinator

• Bristles
« Reply #1888 on: April 05, 2015, 04:29:13 PM »
Of course Uncle Sam and the state are giving it back every day.  Where does she think roads, street lights, police forces, food inspectors, national security, and all that come from?  They get volunteers to undertake all that?

But definitely lol about people who think that getting a tax refund (in other words, overpaying your taxes) is free money.

Not necessarily lol. I've had years where my tax refund exceeded my taxes paid for the year due to combinations of credits, especially the EITC, which can equate to upwards of 6,000 in free money for a two-child four person household (more/less depending on household size). Even with fully optimized withholding, there's no way to get the Fed to prepay the EITC. According to 2012 numbers, some 47% of Americans get more back than they ever put in.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1889 on: April 05, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
$185.74 CAD

I have a love/hate relationship with Etsy. On the one hand, I love the entrepreneurship and hand made items. On the other, everything is so damned expensive that my Mustachian side just can't purchase anything.

I feel exactly the same about Etsy! Apparently I should be making custom diaper bags, just the bag was $150, the additional matching accessories were more!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1890 on: April 05, 2015, 09:40:37 PM »
Back on topic:

*sigh*

The W-4 is biased towards refunds. If you set the correct number of allowances and don't have any other income it is designed to overwithhold.

Wrong. If you answer the questions correctly, don't have any other income, and don't qualify for any tax deductions or credits the W-4 doesn't ask you about, the tax withholding will be exactly right (that is, so long as the employer follows IRS instructions).

Take Bob, a fresh college graduate. Single, no kids. No other sources of income other than a W-2 from a job.

Suppose Bob makes $50k. To make the calculations simple, assume no 401k, HSA, etc. (Or because we're Mustachians, just say that he reports $50k as wages on his tax returns after taking into account 401k and HSA contributions). When Bob fills out the W-4, it instructs him to claim 2 allowances - one for himself and one because he is single and has only one job.

Suppose Bob is paid semimonthly. Every paycheck his gross wages are $2083.33. IRS publication 15 is what employers use to calculate the correct withholding. Lets take a look at page 43. www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15.pdf
Each withholding allownace for the semimonthly pay period is worth $166.70. Bob claims two allowances. Hence, $2083.33 - 2*166.70 = $1749.93 is subject to tax withholding on every paycheck. Now we jump to page 45 for the withholding tables.
On page 45, we find table 3, semimonthly payroll period. Use table a because Bob is single. Amount to withhold is (1749.93-1656)*.25 + 214.80 = $238.28.
Multiply this over 24 paychecks, and we get a total tax withholding of $5718.72.

What's his true tax liability? Let's calculate using the tax tables from http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2014/10/30/irs-announces-2015-tax-brackets-standard-deduction-amounts-and-more/

Standard deduction is $6300, exemption is $4000. Remember, Bob has nothing special for simplicity. No student loan interest deduction, no IRA, etc.
$50,000 - $6300 - $4000 = $39700 of taxable income.
Tax liability = (39700-37450)*.25 + 5156.25 = $5718.75

I'm three cents off, but that's just a couple rounding errors - not every paycheck is $2083.33 if you want his income to total to exactly $50k.

I could do the same exercise for a different pay cycle (biweekly, monthly, etc) and it will result in the same thing: tax liability = tax withholding.

The W-4 is not biased towards refunds. What happens is that for a large chunk of people, their tax situation is far more complicated than the short worksheet on the W-4 can handle. The only way to get your W-4 correct is to project your total tax liability for the year by taking into account all sources of income, tax deductions, and tax credits, and then manipulating the withhodling to match your projected tax liability. And then come November/December, check it again.
But the W-4 can't possibly ask you about all tax credits and deductions you qualify for because people aren't going to essentially project a full out tax refund when they fill out a W-4. Especially considering most Americans are clueless about taxes and wouldn't be able to do that without any assistance from software or an accountant.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 09:46:56 PM by johnny847 »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1891 on: April 05, 2015, 10:51:22 PM »
Back on topic:

*sigh*

Suppose Bob is paid semimonthly. Every paycheck his gross wages are $2083.33. IRS publication 15 is what employers use to calculate the correct withholding. Lets take a look at page 43. www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15.pdf
Each withholding allownace for the semimonthly pay period is worth $166.70. Bob claims two allowances. Hence, $2083.33 - 2*166.70 = $1749.93 is subject to tax withholding on every paycheck. Now we jump to page 45 for the withholding tables.
On page 45, we find table 3, semimonthly payroll period. Use table a because Bob is single. Amount to withhold is (1749.93-1656)*.25 + 214.80 = $238.28.
Multiply this over 24 paychecks, and we get a total tax withholding of $5718.72.

What's his true tax liability? Let's calculate using the tax tables from http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2014/10/30/irs-announces-2015-tax-brackets-standard-deduction-amounts-and-more/

Standard deduction is $6300, exemption is $4000. Remember, Bob has nothing special for simplicity. No student loan interest deduction, no IRA, etc.

You claimed two allowances on the W-4 but only accounted for one exemption in the true tax liability. Shouldn't it be:

$50,000 - $6,300 - 2*$4000 = $35,700 of taxable income
Tax liability = (35700-9225)*.15 + 922.50 = $4,893

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1892 on: April 06, 2015, 02:16:43 AM »
Back on topic:

*sigh*

You claimed two allowances on the W-4 but only accounted for one exemption in the true tax liability. Shouldn't it be:

No.  On your tax return, so long as neither you nor your spouse can be claimed as dependents, you claim an exemption each. If you have dependents, you claim an exemption for each of them.
Bob is a single guy with no dependents. Hence, he gets one exemption on his tax return.

You are confusing an exemption on your tax return with an allowance on your W-4. On the W-4 the term exemption means you can claim exemption from tax withholding - that is, none of your gross salary will be withheld for income tax.
An allowance is just a construct on the W-4 that lowers the amount of your paycheck subject to tax withholding. You can claim as many allowances as you would like. The number of allowances you claim will not, in general, be equal to the number of exemptions you claim on your tax return.

If you're still confused, go read the W-4 and the 1040 again. Particularly lines 6a, 6b, and 6c.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #1893 on: April 06, 2015, 08:35:56 AM »
Many people purposely over-withhold to increase their refund. Others just don't know how to calibrate withholding for their true liability, and are afraid to add allowances since they don't understand the alternate process for more complex situations. If you have the knowledge to accurately calculate your allowances, you will come out pretty close to 0.

However: all bets are off at the state level. I run large refunds from Alabama every year even with my allowances pegged out. I'm convinced their accounting system is set up to take interest-free loans that way, and they are slow as shit to pay it back - I'm talking midsummer.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1894 on: April 06, 2015, 08:42:41 AM »
Back on topic:

*sigh*

No.  On your tax return, so long as neither you nor your spouse can be claimed as dependents, you claim an exemption each. If you have dependents, you claim an exemption for each of them.
Bob is a single guy with no dependents. Hence, he gets one exemption on his tax return.

You are confusing an exemption on your tax return with an allowance on your W-4. On the W-4 the term exemption means you can claim exemption from tax withholding - that is, none of your gross salary will be withheld for income tax.
An allowance is just a construct on the W-4 that lowers the amount of your paycheck subject to tax withholding. You can claim as many allowances as you would like. The number of allowances you claim will not, in general, be equal to the number of exemptions you claim on your tax return.

If you're still confused, go read the W-4 and the 1040 again. Particularly lines 6a, 6b, and 6c.

So the standard deduction essentially includes one allowance. Kind of confusing that exemptions != allowances, but I guess it makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that for me!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1895 on: April 06, 2015, 08:43:53 AM »
However: all bets are off at the state level. I run large refunds from Alabama every year even with my allowances pegged out. I'm convinced their accounting system is set up to take interest-free loans that way, and they are slow as shit to pay it back - I'm talking midsummer.

What the hell? Midsummer? That's absurd.

My rant about GA state taxes:
I would try to get a GA refund of zero but unlike federal taxes where you can always underpay by a fixed amount ($1000) and not owe any penalties, there is no such easy safe harbor provision for GA. The penalty can be avoided but it's pegged to last year's taxes, and it's done on a quarterly basis.
I had to fill out that penalty form once. What a headache. I would rather overpay a bit and get a refund than have to fill out that god damn form again. And GA's marginal tax rate is 6% so it's not like I'm even overpaying that much.
Fortunately they don't take that long to process - I don't recall exactly when i submitted my GA taxes, but I received my refund already. It only took a couple weeks or so.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1896 on: April 06, 2015, 08:55:14 AM »
So the standard deduction essentially includes one allowance. Kind of confusing that exemptions != allowances, but I guess it makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that for me!

Sort of, but not really. An allowance is just a construct. If Bob had a student loan interest deduction, he should claim at least one more allowance. But one (or multiple) additional allowance(s) is highly likely not to align exactly with his true tax liability, especially because the deduction is for an amount between $0 and $2500 (I don't feel like calculating this right now). Suppose it worked out to him wanting to claim an additional 0.5 allowance. But, this is not allowed - you can only claim an integer number of allowances. So he'd end up claiming 3 allowances total (subjecting less of his income to tax withholding) and then use line 6 on the W-4  to have an additional $20.84 per paycheck (because he's in the 25% bracket, and 0.5 of an allowance if allowed would result in 0.5*166.70*.25 = $20.84 of tax withheld - recall that an allowance for the semimonthly pay cycle is worth $166.70).

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #1897 on: April 06, 2015, 10:31:11 AM »
What the hell? Midsummer? That's absurd.
I've filed in Jan and received my refund in April in the past. Their statutory limit is something like 4 months, and they generally use the better part of it.
It's frustrating when there's so much tied up in it.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1898 on: April 06, 2015, 11:40:47 AM »
Same thing for NC. They also claim that they have free e-filing. Free if you already have software that they approved, that is.

So I send my return in the mail like a peon every March (can't do before because the brokerage account doesn't have the numbers yet), and have never gotten my refund back before June.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1899 on: April 09, 2015, 06:48:22 PM »
Same thing for NC. They also claim that they have free e-filing. Free if you already have software that they approved, that is.

So I send my return in the mail like a peon every March (can't do before because the brokerage account doesn't have the numbers yet), and have never gotten my refund back before June.

I filed for free online in NC, I used the free HR block product for federal and state (not everyone qualifies for this) and got my small refund in around 2 weeks, you might check if you qualify! Works great.