Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082517 times)

caliq

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #1800 on: March 12, 2015, 07:40:44 PM »
Having the mortgage in just his name isn't weird at all to me.  The problem is having all the defaulted student loans in her name with no plans to pay them.  She is also setting herself up for a miserable future if they ever divorce or if he dies unexpectedly.

Oh yeah, the student loan thing is super shady -- I was just replying to Lookilu, who was talking about a more normal 'mortgage in one partner's name' situation.

Strabo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1801 on: March 13, 2015, 02:41:04 AM »
Indirectly financially related.

College friend is 29. Drinks copious soda since we were in college at age 18, used to be about two 2L per day. Has to go to hospital when his body tries shutting down and finds out he's severely fructose intolerant.

Solution? Switches to sugar sweetened soda. Drinks a little less now. Only a few bottles a day.

He does know that table sugar (both beet and cane sugar) is still 50 % Fructose, right? One of my sisters has a very severe Fructose intolerance since she was a small child, and especially early on all she could eat was stuff made with Dextrose without severe (really, really severe) digestive repercussions for years.

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #1802 on: March 13, 2015, 07:44:06 AM »
Perpetually broke friend on Facebook whinging that she didn't get a rental place she wanted because she didn't have the deposit and first month's rent to hand, and they let it to someone with the money before she could get the credit union loan she'd applied for through.

A few days later she's found another place with lower rent (cool) and asks around for packing boxes. A few people offer some, and others suggest stores she can get some for free from. Then she posts an update that instead she's ordered a 'moving package' (some cardboard boxes and tape) from Amazon for £20 because 'it's such a good deal'. Sigh

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #1803 on: March 13, 2015, 08:11:38 AM »
Perpetually broke friend on Facebook whinging that she didn't get a rental place she wanted because she didn't have the deposit and first month's rent to hand, and they let it to someone with the money before she could get the credit union loan she'd applied for through.

A few days later she's found another place with lower rent (cool) and asks around for packing boxes. A few people offer some, and others suggest stores she can get some for free from. Then she posts an update that instead she's ordered a 'moving package' (some cardboard boxes and tape) from Amazon for £20 because 'it's such a good deal'. Sigh
There's an absolute glut of cardboard boxes of all shapes, sizes and strengths floating around, most of which get used once and then broken down to be recycled or thrown out. I'm shocked and appalled that anyone buys cardboard boxes to move with.  oh well....

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1804 on: March 13, 2015, 08:56:50 AM »
Wow, from this conversation is just occurred to me that I could buy a home in the future as a "first time homebuyer", because everything is in DH's name!  He bought the place we live in now before we met, and I've just never bothered to put my name on anything.

"First time" home buyer (as far HUD is concerned for their programs) really just means you haven't been the owner of a home in at least 3 years. Not really relevant to your situation, but thought I'd mention it.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1805 on: March 13, 2015, 04:28:36 PM »
A couple we know went through bankruptcy and foreclosure about three years ago. I was hoping it would be a wake-up call for them to get their finances back in order, but it hasn't been.  The fancy vacations and eating out constantly is still going on.  They have also started hanging out with a group that makes serious money and spends it accordingly so I think they are feeling some pressure to keep up.

Anyway, today they posted a picture on Facebook of the house they put a contract on which is twice the size and price of the one they lost just three years ago.  My mind is officially boggled.

will a bank  approve you with both a bankruptcy and a foreclosure only three years ago?
 don't you also lose out on a lot of first home buyer things that make it easier to secure a loan?

im assuming that to prove they arent useless,  banks are going to demand at least 20% down this time( or maybe that's called hoping).

also on a more cynical note, I assume that getting a "fresh start",  three years ago, gives  enough  time to make on time payments and keep cc balances low enough that you look good on paper

maybe the bank just assumes they will get some interest payments and house in a few years?

Putting an offer on a home or even signing a contract to buy it doesn't mean that they will be approved for the financing.  For one thing you can make an offer even if you don't have any money or a pre-approval letter.  Many agents are wary of their time being wasted and do ask for letters for financing, though.

Even if they have a letter, my impression is that a lot of banks have basically sales people who do a really cursory look at finances for the pre-approval letter since people tend to need really quick turn around on these to put in offers. But, pre-approval and actual approval are not the same thing, and hopefully the underwriters will dot their i's and cross their t's on these folks when the time comes. 

I feel sorry for the sellers if they accept this offer and then the whole thing falls through in the end.

Yet wealthy me saved the money to buy pizza for the movers instead and got more boxes than I would ever need out of the immaculate cardboard recycle bin behind the local wine store.  Those wine boxes are study!  For bigger ones I went to the recycle bin two stores over behind Pier 1 Imports (up to chair sized boxes with bonus potpourri scent!)

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1806 on: March 14, 2015, 06:30:13 AM »
Facebook site on saving money:
"I have to buy a car this weekend, since my 13 year old car, with many things wrong, now has glitchy windshield wipers. I'm in __________. and am looking at a wet weekend. I want a small hatchback and I have about $12,000."

Further discussion showed that the old car needed about $2,000 to bring it up to her standards.  I guess she couldn't tell the difference between $2,000 and $12,000, or she just wanted a new car.  For $3,500 she could have it detailed, painted, and all things fixed on the old car and still save money. 

Steveo57

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1807 on: March 14, 2015, 09:22:20 AM »
Got a Facebook invite from an acquaintance of ours a while back for a GoFundMe that they had set up to pay for his MILs cremation. Really sad story about how they could barely pay the rent and were going to lose their cars... This guy is in his 50s and makes $80k plus and is constantly broke. He already lost one house because the bank foreclosed on him. At times he has barely enough money to buy gas for his two late model cars. Saw him the other night and he was showing off his new iPhone 6 whatever.  Oh and the GoFundMe is still active and they are almost at their goal so they will be able to pay the mortuary and get the MILs ashes some day.... Smh

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #1808 on: March 14, 2015, 12:41:50 PM »
"I have to buy a car this weekend, since my 13 year old car, with many things wrong, now has glitchy windshield wipers. I'm in __________. and am looking at a wet weekend. I want a small hatchback and I have about $12,000."

Further discussion showed that the old car needed about $2,000 to bring it up to her standards.  I guess she couldn't tell the difference between $2,000 and $12,000, or she just wanted a new car.  For $3,500 she could have it detailed, painted, and all things fixed on the old car and still save money.

Saw that one, didn't even bother commenting. There's two main factions on that group -- those that are serious about saving money and being responsible stewards of the planet and their finances, and those that are simply consumerist bargain hunters looking for "permission" to buy.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1809 on: March 14, 2015, 03:54:19 PM »
Got a Facebook invite from an acquaintance of ours a while back for a GoFundMe that they had set up to pay for his MILs cremation. Really sad story about how they could barely pay the rent and were going to lose their cars... This guy is in his 50s and makes $80k plus and is constantly broke. He already lost one house because the bank foreclosed on him. At times he has barely enough money to buy gas for his two late model cars. Saw him the other night and he was showing off his new iPhone 6 whatever.  Oh and the GoFundMe is still active and they are almost at their goal so they will be able to pay the mortuary and get the MILs ashes some day.... Smh

That is fucked up.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1810 on: March 14, 2015, 04:20:49 PM »

Saw that one, didn't even bother commenting. There's two main factions on that group -- those that are serious about saving money and being responsible stewards of the planet and their finances, and those that are simply consumerist bargain hunters looking for "permission" to buy.
Good point.  She did get "permission" to buy with all the suggestions offered.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1811 on: March 14, 2015, 04:37:13 PM »
How can I find that facebook group?

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1812 on: March 14, 2015, 05:40:57 PM »
Search for:

The Non-Consumer Advocate

faithless

• Stubble
« Reply #1813 on: March 15, 2015, 07:07:37 AM »

Sigh, now she's posting about her new FitBit.

Presumably that's what happened to the difference between the rental deposit on the place she asked for the loan for and the new cheaper place.

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #1814 on: March 15, 2015, 12:26:30 PM »
"My boss wears Chanel she is officially my idol."

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #1815 on: March 15, 2015, 12:32:06 PM »
Oh lovely, and I also just received a GoFundMe request from a girl who needs money to go abroad for a summer course in London. Isn't the whole point of forcing kids to sell a bunch of crap to raise money for their activities to teach them valuable lessons about working to earn money? Seems like nowadays people just beg for money.

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #1816 on: March 15, 2015, 12:40:22 PM »
And while I'm ranting about facebook, for some reason all of my friends seem to be posting stupid astrology shit lately. "10 reasons to love an Aries" "7 ways Scorpios are irreplaceable" "Geminis are best in bed"

I may need to consider getting off facebook. It has led to me losing huge amounts of respect for many of my friends, who are more than happy to post their ignorance for the world to see.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #1817 on: March 15, 2015, 03:19:27 PM »
A friend of mine posted a picture of a large Burberry shopping bag with the tag: this is why we can't afford a house down payment.

I guess recognizing the problem is good, right?

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1818 on: March 15, 2015, 04:44:37 PM »
And while I'm ranting about facebook, for some reason all of my friends seem to be posting stupid astrology shit lately. "10 reasons to love an Aries" "7 ways Scorpios are irreplaceable" "Geminis are best in bed"

I may need to consider getting off facebook. It has led to me losing huge amounts of respect for many of my friends, who are more than happy to post their ignorance for the world to see.

I see shit like, "who were you in your past life?" quizzes.  Aggggh. 

My best friend takes these quizzes.  At first it angered me.  She's smarter than that.  After a while, however, I realized these quizzes are her way of decompressing from the week. She works hard all week in Silicon Valley and her brain is exhausted by Friday afternoon.

So now, I give her a pass.  One time she twisted my arm into taking a 'what's your hippie name' quiz.  It was something like 'Constance Chastity.'  Yeah - I need to loosen up a bit. 

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #1819 on: March 15, 2015, 08:43:54 PM »
An acquaintance posted 2 days ago about how they are struggling financially and sometimes aren't able to pay the electricity bill in full, etc.

Today they posted about the brand-new Keurig they just bought. I'm hoping maybe it was purchased with a gift card, but I doubt it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 10:27:44 PM by flamingo25 »

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1820 on: March 15, 2015, 08:45:44 PM »
An acquaintance posted 2 days ago about how they are struggling financially and sometimes aren't able to pay the electricity bill in full, etc.

Today they posted about the brand-new Keurig they just bought. I'n hoping maybe it was purchased with a gift card, but I doubt it.

Even if it was bought with a gift card, so long as the gift card was to a more commonly used store such as Target, your acquaintance probably could have gotten around 80% of its face value by selling the giftcard to a site like cardpool.

Steveo57

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1821 on: March 15, 2015, 09:08:48 PM »

Today they posted about the brand-new Keurig they just bought. I'n hoping maybe it was purchased with a gift card, but I doubt it.
If you can't pay the bills, coffee is a luxury in my opinion....

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #1822 on: March 15, 2015, 10:29:12 PM »

If you can't pay the bills, coffee is a luxury in my opinion....

I agree with this for the most part. I drank coffee while I was dirt poor and struggling, but it was the cheapest store brand coffee made with my roommate's drip coffee maker.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1823 on: March 16, 2015, 07:10:26 AM »

As one of the execs from Reddit once said, Reddit gives you reasons to like strangers, while Facebook gives you reasons to hate your friends.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1824 on: March 16, 2015, 08:30:56 AM »
This isn't overheard, but it's my tried and true method to remove the scourge (or at least nice people who you really don't interact with and won't miss) from your Facebook account.

You know how there's those crazy pop ups every day for someone's birthday? I like to unfriend the people I don't really want to be FB friends with anymore on their birthdays! First, it doesn't notify them. Second, if there's any day when they wouldn't notice, it would be the day that they're getting a ton of "happy birthday!" notifications. Third, I most likely wouldn't care if they did find out since I don't talk to these people anyways.

I also get a bonus of that de-cluttering feeling too!

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1825 on: March 16, 2015, 12:57:57 PM »
This isn't overheard, but it's my tried and true method to remove the scourge (or at least nice people who you really don't interact with and won't miss) from your Facebook account.

You know how there's those crazy pop ups every day for someone's birthday? I like to unfriend the people I don't really want to be FB friends with anymore on their birthdays! First, it doesn't notify them. Second, if there's any day when they wouldn't notice, it would be the day that they're getting a ton of "happy birthday!" notifications. Third, I most likely wouldn't care if they did find out since I don't talk to these people anyways.

I also get a bonus of that de-cluttering feeling too!

I do this too! Mostly because it's a way to easily do the unfriending a little bit at a time so it's less onerous. Plus it's a good litmus test... do I care about this person enough to wish them a happy birthday (and have something to say to them other than a generic "happy birthday, so-and-so!")? If not, off the friend list you go!

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #1826 on: March 16, 2015, 02:22:23 PM »

hahaha ya. Some of the ppl on there are big consumers but just want to do it the cheapest way possible. Some ppl on there are cool though...I suspect most of those are my fellow mustachians ;)

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #1827 on: March 16, 2015, 05:04:54 PM »
This is a good one:

A friend posts a selfie of herself at the airport gate with the caption: "I don't catch attitudes, I catch flights!!"

My wife and I had paid for most of her flight a few days prior. If you're wondering, the purpose of her trip is to retrieve her almost brand new clown car from another state's impound lot with her income tax refund money.

I am absolutely not making any of this up.

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #1828 on: March 17, 2015, 08:34:52 AM »

I saw that as well! Super interesting that you would throw away a car for the windshield, in a group that often posts about "family cloths" so you don't waste toilet paper.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1829 on: March 17, 2015, 09:17:47 AM »

I saw that as well! Super interesting that you would throw away a car for the windshield, in a group that often posts about "family cloths" so you don't waste toilet paper.

I finally had to unfollow that group because I realized I was hate-reading. too much complaining and "OMG cell phones give you cancer from ELECTROMAGNETIC RADIATION!!!" hippie shit. Too bad because the blog is good :) but this forum is a much better fit for me!

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1830 on: March 17, 2015, 10:49:27 AM »
This is a good one:

A friend posts a selfie of herself at the airport gate with the caption: "I don't catch attitudes, I catch flights!!"

My wife and I had paid for most of her flight a few days prior. If you're wondering, the purpose of her trip is to retrieve her almost brand new clown car from another state's impound lot with her income tax refund money.

So....why did you pay for it?

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #1831 on: March 17, 2015, 10:53:57 AM »
This is a good one:

To help out a friend?  I'd likely do that once, though I'd be a lot less likely to help out after they posted something like that.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #1832 on: March 17, 2015, 12:32:01 PM »
This is a good one:

To help out a friend?  I'd likely do that once, though I'd be a lot less likely to help out after they posted something like that.

sounds like denial, and over compensating, so i just feel bad for her. 

people who actually jet-set, and can afford to do, normally dont make a huge deal out of being on  a plane. next she is using someone else's money to retrieve an impounded car, which she couldn't really afford to un-impound, much less probably afford.I bet she doesnt have a pot to piss in, so she is skewing this to be a big 'look at me' moment, rather than the huge walk of shame it really is.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1833 on: March 17, 2015, 12:41:12 PM »
This is a good one:

sounds like denial, and over compensating, so i just feel bad for her. 

people who actually jet-set, and can afford to do, normally dont make a huge deal out of being on  a plane. next she is using someone else's money to retrieve an impounded car, which she couldn't really afford to un-impound, much less probably afford.I bet she doesnt have a pot to piss in, so she is skewing this to be a big 'look at me' moment, rather than the huge walk of shame it really is.

Had to take the ferry to work because I could afford to renew my car registration: http://youtu.be/avaSdC0QOUM

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #1834 on: March 17, 2015, 01:12:47 PM »

Exactly. I am a softie and my wife is an even bigger one. She (the friend in need, not the wife) is a good person but is horrifically, catastrophically, killer bees bad at managing money.

I had mixed feelings about helping out since I know her plans for the clown car include an extra long commute to a low wage job and won't actually change much in her life.

It was definitely mind-blowing to see the FB post.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1835 on: March 18, 2015, 11:33:09 AM »
Oh god, honey...I don't like chicken nuggets from anywhere but Wendy's, but I do love me some honey on them.

DAMMIT! now you have me craving Wendys chicken nuggets for dinner.

Overheard on Facebook:

"Anyone have 300 bucks I can have, the gas bill just came in and I have no money." 

Not even borrow, have, at least she's honest. 

Posts from the last week, her new finished full sleeve color tattoo, her and her THREE year old at the salon getting matching highlights, some fancy pants new fish and coral for her HUGE saltwater tank and the best of them, the signed contract for their in ground pool...they live 20 minutes from the beach, if that, and 5 minutes from a lake in a state that is only warm 4 months or so of the year.   It's also only five days post payday for her husband who is in the military as an E5. 

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1836 on: March 18, 2015, 11:54:47 AM »
Posts from the last week, her new finished full sleeve color tattoo, her and her THREE year old at the salon getting matching highlights, some fancy pants new fish and coral for her HUGE saltwater tank and the best of them, the signed contract for their in ground pool...they live 20 minutes from the beach, if that, and 5 minutes from a lake in a state that is only warm 4 months or so of the year.   It's also only five days post payday for her husband who is in the military as an E5.

She better push him to go to OCS, then she could have more than an extra $300 every month.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #1837 on: March 18, 2015, 12:29:12 PM »

Overheard on Facebook:

"Anyone have 300 bucks I can have, the gas bill just came in and I have no money." 

Classic dependopotamus. Friggin' disgusting.

She better push him to go to OCS, then she could have more than an extra $300 every month.

She better get a fucking job and stop being a dumbass, is more like it.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1838 on: March 18, 2015, 12:52:25 PM »

Overheard on Facebook:

HA!  zephyr that was my exact thought (on both the dependapotomus and the "get a fucking job") when I read it.  That was followed by me thinking "so there is truth in the military spouse dependapotomus myth"  Caveat, I too am married to a guy in the military but I haven't spent much time with military spouses outside of mandatory fun days because I have a job, have always had a job, and don't take time off for spousey meettings that are in the middle of the day.  I honestly thought this was some stupid myth until I saw this...it was my holy shit it IS real moment.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1839 on: March 18, 2015, 01:58:19 PM »

Overheard on Facebook:

HA!  zephyr that was my exact thought (on both the dependapotomus and the "get a fucking job") when I read it.  That was followed by me thinking "so there is truth in the military spouse dependapotomus myth"  Caveat, I too am married to a guy in the military but I haven't spent much time with military spouses outside of mandatory fun days because I have a job, have always had a job, and don't take time off for spousey meettings that are in the middle of the day.  I honestly thought this was some stupid myth until I saw this...it was my holy shit it IS real moment.

"Mandatory fun day?"  Sounds like the military

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1840 on: March 18, 2015, 02:09:28 PM »

Overheard on Facebook:

"Mandatory fun day?"  Sounds like the military

Have fun private! THAT'S AN ORDER!

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #1841 on: March 18, 2015, 05:46:09 PM »
I never understood why they FRG coordination meetings were in the middle of the work day.

Bigote

• Bristles
« Reply #1842 on: March 18, 2015, 07:29:36 PM »
Oh god, honey...I don't like chicken nuggets from anywhere but Wendy's, but I do love me some honey on them.

Overheard on Facebook:

Wow.   Shaking my head.   Wow.   

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1843 on: March 19, 2015, 06:28:44 AM »
I never understood why they FRG coordination meetings were in the middle of the work day.

I've asked and was told it's because the kids are in school so they can have the meetings uninterrupted and without child care being provided and that it doesn't cut into family time.  I asked, well what about those of us that work, and was told point blank that we can't do what everyone wants so we do what's best for the bulk of the people.  Which, to me, means the bulk of spouses don't work. 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1844 on: March 19, 2015, 08:08:12 AM »

Oh, it's real and I've witnessed it countless times, many of them up close and personal. My first wife dorked around for a solid year after I graduated & got commissioned, watching soap operas and getting fat[ter], just one distance learning course shy of her education degree. She got her shit together and landed a full-time job the month she left me. One of my good soldier friends got married and put his wife through a trade school then paid for her to lie around the house for a year+ whining about how hard it was to get certified in their new state, refusing to do "lesser" work (she was an experienced server but had decided she was too good for it) and, like the chick above, getting expensive ink done while he was off paying for it all. She too gained a ton of weight during that period, and then got off her ass to earn an income right when she left him. There really is something about that steady, secure paycheck that somehow helps mil couples rationalize all sorts of idiotic behavior. The spouse uses the unique hardships of mil family life as an excuse for being fucking worthless, and the member continually enables them. Meanwhile they both contribute to an inordinate accumulation of debt, because that paycheck will always be there, and will probably always go up, unless and until [insert disaster here] brings down the entire house of cards.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 08:10:01 AM by zephyr911 »

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1845 on: March 19, 2015, 11:41:48 AM »

If the sticker in the PX is a reliable source, being an Army Wife is the hardest job in the Army.  Show her you care with this 1/5 CT TDW Army Wife pendant.  Of course if you're frugal with that sweet sweet BAH money, than it should be enough to support the spouse without having to work.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1846 on: March 19, 2015, 12:16:01 PM »

Overheard on Facebook:

This is interesting. I have a friend still in the military and he was a sub commander at least 2x.  Well, there are a lot of responsibility for the sub commander's wife.  I know, seems silly, but the sub CO's wife generally does a lot of baby sitting the other spouses of the young sailors.  Unpaid, of course.  Now, this was fine - my friend (the wife) had a couple of kids, didn't have a job (had an MBA but was difficult to work with all of the moving), so she took on the work.

But I was talking to her at the change of command ceremony when her husband was the outgoing.  She said "I don't know who is going to do the job now.  The new CO's wife has a job - owns her own business.  She's been clear that she has no time nor the interest."

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1847 on: March 19, 2015, 12:27:28 PM »
This is interesting. I have a friend still in the military and he was a sub commander at least 2x.  Well, there are a lot of responsibility for the sub commander's wife.  I know, seems silly, but the sub CO's wife generally does a lot of baby sitting the other spouses of the young sailors.  Unpaid, of course.  Now, this was fine - my friend (the wife) had a couple of kids, didn't have a job (had an MBA but was difficult to work with all of the moving), so she took on the work.

But I was talking to her at the change of command ceremony when her husband was the outgoing.  She said "I don't know who is going to do the job now.  The new CO's wife has a job - owns her own business.  She's been clear that she has no time nor the interest."
Commanders tend to be high achiever types with neither the time nor the tolerance for the kind of leech in question... it's most often young and immature junior servicemembers who end up saddled with them. Most high-ranking officers' spouses I've met were high achievers themselves - though, obviously that nature expresses itself in many different ways. Some run the domestic machine and serve as an unpaid auxiliary so the officer can be a badass and keep rising to the top, like your friend. Others find a way to have their own careers and businesses despite the constant upheaval, and I imagine they just meet up at home late at night to compare notes on the daily grind.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1848 on: March 19, 2015, 02:30:41 PM »

Overheard on Facebook:

Unreal.  If not for her three year old, I would hope her gas gets shut off.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1849 on: March 19, 2015, 06:12:48 PM »

Overheard on Facebook:

*snort!*  My husband was the commander (Army though) a number of years back.  Your second paragraph was it to a T.  I got SO much crap for 1. Not being at meetings because I was travelling for work (hubz was there and we worked together to set it up) or 2. Scheduling things at 5 to 5:30, we got demands of 1. No PT in the morning, 2. the next day off, 3. mandatory free food, when the fundraising rules were insane and volunteer opportunities for fundraising were only in the middle of the day (and no one wanted to give up time)...I would have willingly paid a check into the FRG fund, my time is more valuable then the small amount of cash we could hold in the fund, but wasn't allowed to or 4. (and my favorite) blatant bribery of "you can't give my husband an article 15 because we came to meetings.

You can give these groups what you can, but if you don't fit the mold of what they expect, it's not really going to work I have found.  In regards to moving, we have moved many many times over the past decade or so, I've either found work, or I haven't moved to keep working...where there is a will, there is a way to continue a career.  It does no good to anyone when you have similar goals and one spouse can't attain them, we aim for career progression and happiness (and early retirement) on both our parts.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!