Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081960 times)

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #1750 on: March 06, 2015, 04:29:18 AM »
Our pastor, in talking about finances, recently commented about how we build houses for our cars when so many people don't even have their own house to live in.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #1751 on: March 06, 2015, 04:51:38 AM »
I have a 2 car garage - its used as a storage room for tool, shopping surplus, documents and most importantly - 7 bikes...
I park outside and I may have a bike issue...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1752 on: March 06, 2015, 06:55:31 AM »
It amazes me the number of neighbors I have who have so much stuff in their 3 car garages that they can't fit cars into them.

We have 2 cars and a woodshop in our garage.  Moving somewhere with a garage is worth every penny. I save so much time and stress of getting to work on time not having to scrape ice and snow off my car. 

Plus this way my husband has a permanent safe space for the woodshop. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1753 on: March 06, 2015, 07:14:16 AM »
Where I live, you basically have to park in the garage. Townhouses, with limited outside parking. So even if you're the type to junk up your garage so you can't fit a car, it doesn't work because then you don't have anywhere to park your car. And the association will tow your car if you're a repeat offender.

I don't get it though. I was raised that it's tacky to park on the street if you have a garage/driveway. Like, mom will drag you outside by your ear and make you move the car tacky. Can you tell I have experience?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1754 on: March 06, 2015, 07:35:14 AM »
Friend of mine (let's call him Joe) posted a link to an Onion article making fun of people who pack their lunch, describing eating out one of the simple pleasures in life.

I recently had success in convincing one of my other friends to stop buying lunch every day. So I commented on Joe's link that this is costing him a lot of money (and provided some calculations for it). He thought it was stupid considering he already saves a bunch of money by living with a roommate, doesn't go out to bars, and doesn't own a car (which is all great!). But he refuses to pack a lunch, ever. And he's not even a "foodie."

*sigh*

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #1755 on: March 06, 2015, 08:02:42 AM »
it's only $1500/ year :p

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1756 on: March 06, 2015, 08:21:36 AM »
it's only $1500/ year :p

Haha there are certainly bigger mistakes he could be making. But just his attitude was surprising to me. He wouldn't even consider it. And we all know that MMM says a millionaire is made $10 at a time.

That, and this is basically the most antimustachian thing I've seen on my Facebook feed since I posted on this thread months back.

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #1757 on: March 06, 2015, 08:42:19 AM »
Friend of mine (let's call him Joe) posted a link to an Onion article making fun of people who pack their lunch, describing eating out one of the simple pleasures in life.
It's the Onion, right? :-) I had a good giggle at the article. Not making fun of people who pack their lunch at all, just the opposite.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1758 on: March 06, 2015, 09:07:27 AM »
It's the Onion, right? :-) I had a good giggle at the article. Not making fun of people who pack their lunch at all, just the opposite.
I interpreted it as making fun of people who pack they're lunch, saying it would be stupid to make the effort to pack a lunch when eating out is a pleasure in life.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1759 on: March 06, 2015, 10:08:52 AM »
I have a 2 car garage - its used as a storage room for tool, shopping surplus, documents and most importantly - 7 bikes...
I park outside and I may have a bike issue...

We've got a 'two car garage' but you would have to climb out the window if you parked two cars in there.  It's more like 1.5.

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #1760 on: March 06, 2015, 11:04:43 AM »
I interpreted it as making fun of people who pack they're lunch, saying it would be stupid to make the effort to pack a lunch when eating out is a pleasure in life.
The Onion is a satirical website :-) In this case, they make fun of people who say they will not deny themselves the pleasure of eating out for lunch, by exaggerating it to such a degree that it becomes ridiculous.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1761 on: March 06, 2015, 11:17:13 AM »
The Onion is a satirical website :-) In this case, they make fun of people who say they will not deny themselves the pleasure of eating out for lunch, by exaggerating it to such a degree that it becomes ridiculous.
I know it's satirical. I had a total mind fart (and you can see how I switched their for they're). Yup, you're totally right. It's funny because my entire discussion with my friend Joe was how he agreed with the article and said he would never pack his lunch. And I said I totally disagree with the article and avoid eating out.

*sigh* It's just one of those days

ReadyToStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1762 on: March 07, 2015, 03:36:59 PM »
A friend posted a picture of a brand new sports car with the caption "Life after college". She's also in $100k of debt and chose to live in a house $200/mo over what she planned for 44 miles away from her job. Oh, and adopted two cats and a dog right away.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #1763 on: March 10, 2015, 12:58:54 PM »
A friend posted a picture of a brand new sports car with the caption "Life after college". She's also in $100k of debt and chose to live in a house $200/mo over what she planned for 44 miles away from her job. Oh, and adopted two cats and a dog right away.

This is how you get your big boy or big girl adult card, obviously.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1764 on: March 10, 2015, 01:49:38 PM »
This started so innocently, but took an anti-MMM turn (I skipped some irrelevant messages early in the post):

OP: It is a travesty that there will be six guys and six girls in the top twelve of American Idol.

TM: It is a travesty that American Idol is still on the air

ZS: It is a travesty that American Idol, The Voice and Survivor all come on at the same time....and I can't stand any of them! Now, Dancing With the Stars on the other hand...

ZS: Maybe they went for gender equality.

OP: Well that's why. The genders are split until the top twelve so it has six of each. It's just unfortunate that some undeserving girls are making it while some deserving boys are going home.  You know you can DVR all of the ones you can't watch live ZS.

ZS: Oh, I don't watch any of them. I also don't have DVR. We keep talking about getting it.

OP: I didn't know that was still an option.

SW: wait, hold the idol, dwts, voice talk, what do you mean no DVR? There are programs that can assist you with this essential missing piece of technology. It is every American's right to have at least one DVR and there is the federal No DVRs Left Behind program.

ZS: I do have a Keurig. Does that count?

SW: only if it sends you a text when the single cup is done brewing

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #1765 on: March 10, 2015, 06:16:49 PM »

Dafaaaaaaq?!???!?!?

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #1766 on: March 10, 2015, 06:32:57 PM »
Saw another good one on Facebook today:

"Accidentally paid $300 towards the Sears card instead of $30!!! Oh well, at least it's almost paid off now!"

I mean, at least they are making attempts to pay it. But how much debt could you rack up at Sears? Obviously much more than $300, which is mind blowing to me that they have been carrying that around. I don't imagine Sears hands out great interest rates on their store cards...

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #1767 on: March 10, 2015, 06:40:46 PM »
There's an interest free period, I think. And if you buy major appliances or tires or lawnmowers or something... I could see it.

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #1768 on: March 10, 2015, 07:28:53 PM »
There's an interest free period, I think. And if you buy major appliances or tires or lawnmowers or something... I could see it.

That's true...but somehow I get the idea that's not what this guy had done!

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #1769 on: March 10, 2015, 07:50:19 PM »
Haha probably not.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1770 on: March 11, 2015, 07:43:07 AM »

"Accidentally paid $300 towards the Sears card instead of $30!!! Oh well, at least it's almost paid off now!"

I mean, at least they are making attempts to pay it. But how much debt could you rack up at Sears? Obviously much more than $300, which is mind blowing to me that they have been carrying that around. I don't imagine Sears hands out great interest rates on their store cards...

I had a sears card when I was learning... I think I was 17 or so.  I remember they charged 29.9% here and you could use them for other things.  Shell was one of the places that remember being able to use it.  Good thing I paid one interest payment on the $100 I owed and realized that is a waste of money.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1771 on: March 11, 2015, 08:18:36 AM »

This past June or July, I sent my utility payment to our ISP by accident (adjacent lines on bill pay, and I obviously wasn't careful enough) - it was for a time when we briefly owned two properties too, so it was like $300.  Didn't have to send in payment for internet for a while.

RL12

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1772 on: March 11, 2015, 09:43:59 AM »
My news feed hit a new all time low with this one today.

"I swear I hate McDonalds! I know damn good and well that if I wasnt driving a new car, had my nails done, or a coach purse in my front seat that they would not have tried to charge me for some damn mayo! I understand they are supposed to but they need to be consistent on who they charge and when they do it! Especially when I can get it added to my sandwich for free! It being on the side does not make any different!"

A few weeks ago this same girl posted about how she can't wait to get her $8,000 tax return while making $14,000 last year with three kids from different fathers. I guess we know how that money got spent.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #1773 on: March 11, 2015, 11:23:20 AM »

"I swear I hate McDonalds! I know damn good and well that if I wasnt driving a new car, had my nails done, or a coach purse in my front seat that they would not have tried to charge me for some damn mayo! I understand they are supposed to but they need to be consistent on who they charge and when they do it! Especially when I can get it added to my sandwich for free! It being on the side does not make any different!"

A few weeks ago this same girl posted about how she can't wait to get her $8,000 tax return while making $14,000 last year with three kids from different fathers. I guess we know how that money got spent.

it does really bother me that MCD charges for BBQ sauce. That's why I stopped going for McNuggets :(

goober

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1774 on: March 11, 2015, 11:31:53 AM »

I don't even know where to start with this! Feeling slighted with no proof for having expensive things she can't afford at a place that is both extremely unhealthy and bad on a budget. That's not even getting into your second paragraph!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1775 on: March 11, 2015, 12:12:30 PM »

it does really bother me that MCD charges for BBQ sauce. That's why I stopped going for McNuggets :(
You mean extra sauce, right?  Must have something to do with the fact that I'm a grown up now, but I've never run out of sauce within the limits they set.  When I was a kid it was probably 1 sauce per nug.-

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1776 on: March 11, 2015, 12:29:07 PM »

You mean extra sauce, right?  Must have something to do with the fact that I'm a grown up now, but I've never run out of sauce within the limits they set.  When I was a kid it was probably 1 sauce per nug.-

I have never used mcd sauce of any kind.  I eat my nuggets naked.

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1777 on: March 11, 2015, 12:41:12 PM »
Indirectly financially related.

College friend is 29. Drinks copious soda since we were in college at age 18, used to be about two 2L per day. Has to go to hospital when his body tries shutting down and finds out he's severely fructose intolerant.

Solution? Switches to sugar sweetened soda. Drinks a little less now. Only a few bottles a day.

Today he complains about having to get/afford a root canal and mentions in a comment reply that he has had 6 crowns in the last year.

Correlation?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:43:29 PM by Quark »

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1778 on: March 11, 2015, 03:18:53 PM »

I tried to do that once. The assistant manager called the cops and I was asked to never return again.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #1779 on: March 12, 2015, 06:24:58 AM »
Hey, there's lots of McDonalds in the world. As long as you don't go back to the same one twice you should be okay.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1780 on: March 12, 2015, 07:41:34 AM »
I also can't go near schools.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1781 on: March 12, 2015, 07:43:11 AM »

I tried to do that once. The assistant manager called the cops and I was asked to never return again.
Good thing there is a mcdonalds at every corner...  Try it at the next one, you may have better luck

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1782 on: March 12, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »

Good thing there is a mcdonalds at every corner...  Try it at the next one, you may have better luck

My childhood vice was McDonald's chicken nuggets dipped in pure honey.  1 pack of honey for every three nuggets.  It's the greatest flavour combination I've ever experienced, and to this day I will still only eat them as God intended . . . drenched in honey.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #1783 on: March 12, 2015, 09:42:47 AM »

My childhood vice was McDonald's chicken nuggets dipped in pure honey.  1 pack of honey for every three nuggets.  It's the greatest flavour combination I've ever experienced, and to this day I will still only eat them as God intended . . . drenched in honey.

Dude, you are bringing back euphoric memories of my childhood. I ate them in honey, too. It was delicious. It would probably still be delicious, if I could still bring myself to actually eat a McNugget. I can't.

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1784 on: March 12, 2015, 10:16:14 AM »
Oh god, honey...I don't like chicken nuggets from anywhere but Wendy's, but I do love me some honey on them.

MamaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1785 on: March 12, 2015, 10:25:19 AM »
A listing on a twin cities "garage sale" group  (I don't personally know this person):

"Free Keurig.  You have to pick up today in Stillwater.  It worked perfect until I decided to run vinegar and water through it to clean it and something seems to have clogged it.  I didn't put that much effort into it.  If you can figure it out, this is a great deal.  I used it just over a year."

crispy

« Reply #1786 on: March 12, 2015, 12:14:19 PM »
A couple we know went through bankruptcy and foreclosure about three years ago. I was hoping it would be a wake-up call for them to get their finances back in order, but it hasn't been.  The fancy vacations and eating out constantly is still going on.  They have also started hanging out with a group that makes serious money and spends it accordingly so I think they are feeling some pressure to keep up.

Anyway, today they posted a picture on Facebook of the house they put a contract on which is twice the size and price of the one they lost just three years ago.  My mind is officially boggled.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1787 on: March 12, 2015, 12:20:13 PM »

Dude, you are bringing back euphoric memories of my childhood. I ate them in honey, too. It was delicious. It would probably still be delicious, if I could still bring myself to actually eat a McNugget. I can't.

OMG me too! I never really have occasion to go to McD's, but I did try it again a few years ago, for the first time in decades. Still soooooo good (just try not to think too hard about what the McNuggets are...)

A couple we know went through bankruptcy and foreclosure about three years ago. I was hoping it would be a wake-up call for them to get their finances back in order, but it hasn't been.  The fancy vacations and eating out constantly is still going on.  They have also started hanging out with a group that makes serious money and spends it accordingly so I think they are feeling some pressure to keep up.

Anyway, today they posted a picture on Facebook of the house they put a contract on which is twice the size and price of the one they lost just three years ago.  My mind is officially boggled.

How did they even get a mortgage?! WTF.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #1788 on: March 12, 2015, 12:22:02 PM »

will a bank  approve you with both a bankruptcy and a foreclosure only three years ago?
 don't you also lose out on a lot of first home buyer things that make it easier to secure a loan?

im assuming that to prove they arent useless,  banks are going to demand at least 20% down this time( or maybe that's called hoping).

also on a more cynical note, I assume that getting a "fresh start",  three years ago, gives  enough  time to make on time payments and keep cc balances low enough that you look good on paper

maybe the bank just assumes they will get some interest payments and house in a few years?

crispy

« Reply #1789 on: March 12, 2015, 12:30:37 PM »

will a bank  approve you with both a bankruptcy and a foreclosure only three years ago?
 don't you also lose out on a lot of first home buyer things that make it easier to secure a loan?

im assuming that to prove they arent useless,  banks are going to demand at least 20% down this time( or maybe that's called hoping).

also on a more cynical note, I assume that getting a "fresh start",  three years ago, gives  enough  time to make on time payments and keep cc balances low enough that you look good on paper

maybe the bank just assumes they will get some interest payments and house in a few years?

I have no idea.  I just know they said they put an offer on it.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

This is the same couple whom I have posted about that owe 200K+ in student loans that have been in default for years.  They did a spousal consolidation years ago when that was still allowed.  All their stuff is in his name because her credit is completely shot from the defaulted loans.  We used to be good friends, but I had to back away once I realized all of this. It's fascinating and sickening at the same time.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #1790 on: March 12, 2015, 12:36:28 PM »

im super confused. that amount of student loans, means super high payments, so im surprised they even got approved for the loan. but what ever HTF do you get a mortgage with 200k in defaulted student loans. how do you get anything with student loans in default. i might as well let mine go into default if i  can still get a house and everything else.

something here doesnt add up.

I have no idea.  I just know they said they put an offer on it.  It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

This is the same couple whom I have posted about that owe 200K+ in student loans that have been in default for years.  They did a spousal consolidation years ago when that was still allowed.  All their stuff is in his name because her credit is completely shot from the defaulted loans.  We used to be good friends, but I had to back away once I realized all of this. It's fascinating and sickening at the same time.

crispy

« Reply #1791 on: March 12, 2015, 12:43:10 PM »

im super confused. that amount of student loans, means super high payments, so im surprised they even got approved for the loan. but what ever HTF do you get a mortgage with 200k in defaulted student loans. how do you get anything with student loans in default. i might as well let mine go into default if i  can still get a house and everything else.

I asked her this when she told me they were going to start house hunting a few months ago which is when I learned that all the student loans were in her name only.  That's when I started backing away from the friendship.  My understanding is that they are planning to finance the house in his name with his credit (which also has the bankruptcy and foreclosure on it so I don't know how that works).  All the student loans are in her name only and she won't appear on the loan and mortgage so the lender is unaware of that they have 200K in student loans in default.  She doesn't work (because she doesn't want to ay the loans back and knows her wages would be garnished) so I guess there is no reason for her to be on the mortgage since she isn't contributing income.

I haven't talked to her much in the last few months, but the house posting caught me eye today.  I seriously don't get it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:45:49 PM by crispy »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1792 on: March 12, 2015, 02:53:05 PM »

I asked her this when she told me they were going to start house hunting a few months ago which is when I learned that all the student loans were in her name only.  That's when I started backing away from the friendship.  My understanding is that they are planning to finance the house in his name with his credit (which also has the bankruptcy and foreclosure on it so I don't know how that works).  All the student loans are in her name only and she won't appear on the loan and mortgage so the lender is unaware of that they have 200K in student loans in default.  She doesn't work (because she doesn't want to ay the loans back and knows her wages would be garnished) so I guess there is no reason for her to be on the mortgage since she isn't contributing income.

I haven't talked to her much in the last few months, but the house posting caught me eye today.  I seriously don't get it.

At what point does this cross over to fraud?

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #1793 on: March 12, 2015, 03:00:22 PM »

she must not work, cause they would have garnished her paychecks. and they can also get into her bank account, so they must hold literally everything in his name.

i still think something doesnt smell right

crispy

« Reply #1794 on: March 12, 2015, 03:11:19 PM »

she must not work, cause they would have garnished her paychecks. and they can also get into her bank account, so they must hold literally everything in his name.

i still think something doesnt smell right

As far as I know, everything they own is in his name.  I knew that had student loans that were defaulted, but I didn't realize the rest of it until I asked her a few months back how they could buy another house with defaulted loans, and a recent bankruptcy and foreclosure.  That's when she told me the loans were all in her name because they did a spousal consolidation when they bought the first house because they couldn't afford the mortgage payment and the loan payment.  I am pretty sure they don't do spousal consolidations anymore because of situations like this.  I told her then that she was absolutely screwed if they ever got a divorced, and she seemed unconcerned about it.  I have backed away from the friendship because I find the whole situation disturbing.  I have learned some other things since then, and let's just say these people are a piece of work.  It is entertaining to see her posts though.

Lookilu

• Stubble
« Reply #1795 on: March 12, 2015, 05:22:30 PM »

This actually reminds me of a situation with a former coworker from a few years ago. She and her fiance were shopping for their first house, and the realtor recommended that the house be purchased exclusively by just one of them. That way, he explained, if something happened and they lost the house the other partner's credit would be untarnished so they could buy another home easily and they could still take advantage of any and all first-time home-buyers' perks.

This kind of blew my mind. I guess this type of thinking just doesn't come naturally to me.

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #1796 on: March 12, 2015, 05:35:05 PM »

This actually reminds me of a situation with a former coworker from a few years ago. She and her fiance were shopping for their first house, and the realtor recommended that the house be purchased exclusively by just one of them. That way, he explained, if something happened and they lost the house the other partner's credit would be untarnished so they could buy another home easily and they could still take advantage of any and all first-time home-buyers' perks.

This kind of blew my mind. I guess this type of thinking just doesn't come naturally to me.

Eh, this is what our mortgage broker had us do. When we bought, the hubs wasn't earning an income at the time, and I was/am self-employed. Said it was so if my business went belly-up, his credit would still be clean. House was in just my name for two years. When we refinanced, we did so in both our names because his income helped get us a lower interest rate.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1797 on: March 12, 2015, 05:42:30 PM »

Well, that means they were looking at houses they could get approved for on only one income, right?  So it's actually not that irresponsible.  Especially when you consider the fact that they're not married yet -- lots of engaged couples never make it to the altar.

True, the realtor's reasoning is pretty bad (who plans to get foreclosed on?!), but the actual decision is fairly sound. 

DH and I did the same thing before we were married -- he got a VA loan, and you have to be married to be co-borrowers.  Plus I'm still in school so the only thing I brought to the table was ~$400/month income and lots of student loans ;)  In our case it just didn't make sense -- it's not about defrauding the system or something.

crispy

« Reply #1798 on: March 12, 2015, 05:48:57 PM »
Having the mortgage in just his name isn't weird at all to me.  The problem is having all the defaulted student loans in her name with no plans to pay them.  She is also setting herself up for a miserable future if they ever divorce or if he dies unexpectedly.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1799 on: March 12, 2015, 06:12:55 PM »
Wow, from this conversation is just occurred to me that I could buy a home in the future as a "first time homebuyer", because everything is in DH's name!  He bought the place we live in now before we met, and I've just never bothered to put my name on anything.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!