Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 2110189 times)

MilwaukeeStubble

• Stubble
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #1600 on: February 12, 2015, 07:37:37 AM »
I saved $12,000 in my first 4 months of work at age 19

Whoa - How did you earn so much money at age 19?

I was a software developer, and a severely underpaid one due to a lack of negotiation skills and general cluelessness about free market economics. Luckily I've improved at that stuff in the intervening years.

I'm missing something here...

Melchior

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1601 on: February 12, 2015, 08:39:03 AM »

I was a software developer, and a severely underpaid one due to a lack of negotiation skills and general cluelessness about free market economics. Luckily I've improved at that stuff in the intervening years.

Simple, Cathy is saying that I'm an incredibly super extremely underpaid software developer.

Aushin

• Stubble
« Reply #1602 on: February 12, 2015, 09:05:07 AM »
Yeah we're all a bit self-righteous but I think there's a difference between "They had SIX kids?  Jesus Christ!!" and "Why didn't you save 40 thousand dollars when you were 19 it's so easy"

Cathy's a LOT closer to Mitt Romney telling kids to ask their parents for a loan to start a business.  Very out of touch.  At least some degree of self-delusion to believe that's an every day possibility.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1603 on: February 12, 2015, 09:56:33 AM »

Simple, Cathy is saying that I'm an incredibly super extremely underpaid software developer.

At age 19 I was making $8/hour as a software developer, which was less than a dollar over minimum wage in my state at the time. And because I was still in college I was only able to work full time over the summer. A couple years later I was able to get some better paying internships, but even then saving up $12k in 4 months would have been virtually impossible.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #1604 on: February 12, 2015, 10:25:28 AM »

I don't get why people are bashing her for this... give credit where credit is due. Kudos to you Cathy. If you have a skill you should utilize it, not feel bad because you have it.
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire. "

Le0

• Stubble
    • My Path to Financial Independence in 2014
« Reply #1605 on: February 12, 2015, 10:31:53 AM »
Post: "Our internet and cable are out. We don't know how to cope with life now."
Comment: "Holy hell. I'd die. The kids go into freak out mode if ours has even a little drop. Even for a minute. "How can I watch Netflix in my room with no internet?" "

Personally, I would be deathly ashamed to post either that I have no life outside passive entertainment or that I am not teaching my kids resilience and self-entertainment skills...

Hey now, if my kids want to save up for something like that, all the power to them. I remember when I saved up for an N64 game. Ocarina of Time. Best feeling to save up for something I wanted. Now, if the kids just expect it, then tough.

Best game to have saved up for... many and hour I spent running around that world :P
I am working hard to move towards Financial Independence.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #1606 on: February 12, 2015, 10:38:13 AM »

I don't get why people are bashing her for this... give credit where credit is due. Kudos to you Cathy. If you have a skill you should utilize it, not feel bad because you have it.

i dont think people are upset that she saved alot of money. they are upset that she is trying to use herself as an example. when trying to comparing financial situations,  its hard to tell the 99%,  they should be more like the 1%.

it's ignoring the fact that the 99% have more factors against them.

for example:  talking about having saved 12k in four months at 19, is bragging for no real reason.

because this isnt usable advice for like 99.9% of the population.

this means she made at least 36k per year at 19, that is assuming no taxes and 0 money at all spent. most 19 yo earn minimum wage( in the USA) which is less than half of that.

I am ignoring the disbelief that was expressed at the idea of not having enough left on the cc. ( once again assuming everyone has a cc, (cause duh every does) )

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1607 on: February 12, 2015, 10:41:04 AM »

We're not bashing Cathy for using her skills to save $12k in four months at age 19 (well at least, I'm not). She's just being a rational actor - trying to maximize her own profits in a way that I have no reason to doubt otherwise was ethical and legal.

We're bashing her for being way out of touch:
There's never been a point in my life where my ability to buy anything has been constrained by cash flow (other than big ticket items like a house)......Cash flow has never been a problem. It wasn't hard to achieve, so it really baffles me how there are adults out there constrained by cash flow.
[emphasis mine]

When it is a fact that
In fact, the median US HOUSEHOLD income is $50,502, which corresponds to $16,834 in 17 weeks/ 4 months.
Considering that's household income we're talking about here, the "median individual" cannot save $12k in 4 months because he or she literally does not make at least $12k in four months. And that's gross income we're talking about here, we're not even considering taxes and a bare minimum of expenses.

And that's the median individual, meaning half the population is earning less than that.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:42:39 AM by johnny847 »

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1608 on: February 12, 2015, 10:41:04 AM »

i dont think people are upset that she saved alot of money. they are upset that she is trying to use herself as an example. when trying to comparing financial situations,  its hard to tell the 99%,  they should be more like the 1%.

it's ignoring the fact that the 99% have more factors against them.

for example:  talking about having saved 12k in four months at 19, is bragging for no real reason.

because this isnt usable advice for like 99.9% of the population.

this means she made at least 36k per year at 19, that is assuming no taxes and 0 money at all spent. most 19 yo earn minimum wage( in the USA) which is less than half of that.

I am ignoring the disbelief that was expressed at the idea of not having enough left on the cc. ( once again assuming everyone has a cc, (cause duh every does) )

Well said, touche (I don't know how to get the little squiggle thing above the letter, but you get the point)

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1609 on: February 12, 2015, 10:56:05 AM »
Post: "Our internet and cable are out. We don't know how to cope with life now."
Comment: "Holy hell. I'd die. The kids go into freak out mode if ours has even a little drop. Even for a minute. "How can I watch Netflix in my room with no internet?" "

Personally, I would be deathly ashamed to post either that I have no life outside passive entertainment or that I am not teaching my kids resilience and self-entertainment skills...

Hey now, if my kids want to save up for something like that, all the power to them. I remember when I saved up for an N64 game. Ocarina of Time. Best feeling to save up for something I wanted. Now, if the kids just expect it, then tough.

Best game to have saved up for... many and hour I spent running around that world :P

Damn water temple.
I blog on items flipped for a profit on eBay:
Flipping A Dollar

I made 6.5k in profits in 2015!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1610 on: February 12, 2015, 10:58:43 AM »
I combined that proposition with a personal anecdote, which was apparently insensitive. My life has actually not been as lovely as you might surmise but I don't engage in the oppression Olympics games, so I don't intend to post about that here.
The insensitive part wasn't to combine your proposition with a personal anecdote. If you had said "I managed to save $12k in four months, so I've never had a cash flow problem. But, I recognize that this is atypical," then I wouldn't be bashing you (and I think most other people wouldn't.

The insensitive part was saying
Cash flow has never been a problem.....It wasn't hard to achieve, so it really baffles me how there are adults out there constrained by cash flow.
You're implying that because it was easy for you, it must be easy for everybody else, and hence, everybody else is dumb for having cash flow issues.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1611 on: February 12, 2015, 11:13:10 AM »
One of the features I like about OS X is the way you can hold down "e" to get a little menu that lets you choose which accent you want, including (which is called an "acute accent" in English by the way, or "accent aigu" in French).

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Apparently I don't have  OS X :( but I appreciate the response, and learning something new!

FrozenBits

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1612 on: February 12, 2015, 01:15:19 PM »
Saw this gem on a local Buy Sell Trade page today....

"FREE CAR!!! just pick up the payments serious inquires only what is owed $26000 monthly payments $443 @ 4% apr"

Yeahhh "Free".... Riggghhhhttt...

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #1613 on: February 12, 2015, 01:29:44 PM »

"FREE CAR!!! just pick up the payments serious inquires only what is owed $26000 monthly payments $443 @ 4% apr"

hmm not a bad rate

solon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1614 on: February 12, 2015, 01:41:48 PM »

Just sounds like good marketing to me. Nobody will really think it's free. But they will have to think about it for a minute, and that is the point.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1615 on: February 12, 2015, 02:06:35 PM »
55" TV in the BEDROOM?  I'll admit we have one in our TV room, but that is insane as a bedroom TV.

Um, yeah. He's single, too, so it's not like he's having family movie nights in the king-sized bed or something.

I really don't want to know what he IS watching on that giant bedroom TV.

If he's a dude living by himself I'm impressed if he's confining that sort of thing to the bedroom.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1616 on: February 12, 2015, 02:11:03 PM »

Just sounds like good marketing to me. Nobody will really think it's free. But they will have to think about it for a minute, and that is the point.

I saw the same thing not long ago... 2014 some model of SUV... only $500, and you have to take over my payments... I am no expert, but I don't think you can just take over the monthly contract like a cell phone...

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #1617 on: February 12, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »

I saw the same thing not long ago... 2014 some model of SUV... only $500, and you have to take over my payments... I am no expert, but I don't think you can just take over the monthly contract like a cell phone...

you can do a lease transfer

jmusic

• Bristles
« Reply #1618 on: February 12, 2015, 03:04:07 PM »

It actually is possible, but the bank has to approve the transfer.  Really what it means is that you'd be taking over someone else's negative equity!!!  Otherwise, you'd get your own loan as the buyer.  BTW, you still have to pay sales tax!

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1619 on: February 12, 2015, 03:20:15 PM »
I have family members who work full time and make about $10 an hour after 30 years of work. ... These are fairly skilled people who live in a small town.

That baffles me, why not move? I made more than that working at a retail office supply store right out of high school, 12 years ago. I could have made $10/hr driving around on garbage day and picking up scrap metal/stuff to re-sell as an easy side hustle. I know it's common, but it still blows me away every time.
Move where?  It's a small, rural town.  All your family and friends live there.  I mean, I left.  A few of my silbings left, but at least 50% of the people...don't.  They are close to family, parents, siblings, etc.

Of course, other things are cheaper there too.  Sure, they could move, but to give you perspective - many of my families' homes were around $60,000.

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1620 on: February 12, 2015, 07:59:09 PM »
An ex-coworker of mine just posted a GoFundMe for... wait for it... $1,000 worth of All-Clad cookware.

"My beautiful stove needs companions that are fitting for it, so I need a little help to make this love story happen."

She makes over $100k/year. Single, no kids, had a full-ride scholarship AFAIK.

5 previous FB posts: picture of expensive food in a city 3,000 mi away (x3), picture of city's skyline, picture of a new condo in a high-rise in a major metropolitan area.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1621 on: February 12, 2015, 11:10:36 PM »
One of the features I like about OS X is the way you can hold down "e" to get a little menu that lets you choose which accent you want, including (which is called an "acute accent" in English by the way, or "accent aigu" in French).

Apparently I don't have  OS X :( but I appreciate the response, and learning something new!

LOL. *1000!

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #1622 on: February 13, 2015, 06:59:09 AM »
An ex-coworker of mine just posted a GoFundMe for... wait for it... $1,000 worth of All-Clad cookware.

"My beautiful stove needs companions that are fitting for it, so I need a little help to make this love story happen."

5 previous FB posts: picture of expensive food in a city 3,000 mi away (x3), picture of city's skyline, picture of a new condo in a high-rise in a major metropolitan area.

I hope nobody is actually giving her money...

SmallCheese

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1623 on: February 13, 2015, 07:12:24 AM »
A man I had very briefly dated:

"I have exactly $6 to my name until tomorrow. I think 2 pints are going to be my plan for the evening."

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1624 on: February 13, 2015, 07:27:44 AM »

"I have exactly $6 to my name until tomorrow. I think 2 pints are going to be my plan for the evening."
Sounds like a good decision...:)

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #1625 on: February 13, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »

so he was waiting for that midnight paycheck. i did that last night. this doesnt mean im on the street pooor. rent is paid utilities paid. car full of gas. and money in my emergency account.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1626 on: February 13, 2015, 08:12:50 AM »

I literally don't understand how it is possible for people to think that's an acceptable thing to post. what in the holy jesus fuck. seriously, that has to qualify as some kind of mental/social disorder.

so he was waiting for that midnight paycheck. i did that last night. this doesnt mean im on the street pooor. rent is paid utilities paid. car full of gas. and money in my emergency account.

if you have money in your emergency account, don't you have more than $6 to your name, though?

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #1627 on: February 13, 2015, 08:24:59 AM »

I literally don't understand how it is possible for people to think that's an acceptable thing to post. what in the holy jesus fuck. seriously, that has to qualify as some kind of mental/social disorder.

if you have money in your emergency account, don't you have more than $6 to your name, though?

maybe im in a generous mood, but i know myself,  and others, who use this phrase to say we are broke,  when we just mean the amount of money left to spend on frivolous things has run out. 

SmallCheese

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1628 on: February 13, 2015, 08:50:17 AM »

maybe im in a generous mood, but i know myself,  and others, who use this phrase to say we are broke,  when we just mean the amount of money left to spend on frivolous things has run out.

I can tell you for a fact that he meant that he had exactly $6.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #1629 on: February 13, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
CW: "I got side job. It's 10 hours a week, and pays [roughly 2/3 current pay]"

me: "Why not take 10 hours of overtime here a week and get paid time and a half of your current rate?"

CW: "Because then the government would get all the extra in taxes."

frugledoc

• Bristles
« Reply #1630 on: February 13, 2015, 09:46:46 AM »

Unbelievable.  Makes me wonder if she is a psychopath.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1631 on: February 13, 2015, 10:44:07 AM »

me: "Why not take 10 hours of overtime here a week and get paid time and a half of your current rate?"

oh geez.  the stupid. it burns

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1632 on: February 13, 2015, 10:51:16 AM »

My brain just exploded

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1633 on: February 13, 2015, 11:02:21 AM »
55" TV in the BEDROOM?  I'll admit we have one in our TV room, but that is insane as a bedroom TV.

Um, yeah. He's single, too, so it's not like he's having family movie nights in the king-sized bed or something.

I really don't want to know what he IS watching on that giant bedroom TV.

If he's a dude living by himself I'm impressed if he's confining that sort of thing to the bedroom.

I'm sure the 3D tv in the living room gets some mileage on that sort of thing.

hernandz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1634 on: February 13, 2015, 11:19:55 AM »

Many, not all Windows apps let you hold down the Alt key while typing in a 4-digit number on the number pad to produce accented letters. equals ALT-0233, equals ALT-0225 .  Microsoft Office has a smart approach.  Hold down the CTRL key while pressing the kind of accent mark you need, then let go and type the letter    = CRTL-', then e.  = CTRL-^, then e

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1635 on: February 13, 2015, 11:32:29 AM »

Many, not all Windows apps let you hold down the Alt key while typing in a 4-digit number on the number pad to produce accented letters. equals ALT-0233, equals ALT-0225 .  Microsoft Office has a smart approach.  Hold down the CTRL key while pressing the kind of accent mark you need, then let go and type the letter    = CRTL-', then e.  = CTRL-^, then e

Mac you can do it by hitting option+e (for the ' accent) then e again. I think option+i is ^, option+o is the umlaut, option+n is ~. Don't recall where the ` is.

Psychstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1636 on: February 13, 2015, 11:53:14 AM »

More than likely she is like many (but by no means all or even the majority) women who learn, through conditioning from the dating world, that if you ask people of things they will buy them for you.

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #1637 on: February 13, 2015, 12:00:44 PM »

More than likely she is like many (but by no means all or even the majority) women who learn, through conditioning from the dating world, that if you ask people of things they will buy them for you.

you're reaching.

dating teaches  you that you don't get something,  for nothing. ( no man gives you things for free)

why do these threads always go sexist,  when discussing how women spend money?

people can be terrible and greedy universally, dating didn't teach her that.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:02:38 PM by vivophoenix »

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1638 on: February 13, 2015, 12:13:12 PM »

That one got a BIG LAUGH out of me!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1639 on: February 13, 2015, 02:42:52 PM »

That one got a BIG LAUGH out of me!
The stupidity in this one drives me nuts.
If overtime pay truly was taxes at a rate higher than the standard rate, then there would have to be a special box on your W2. Is there such a box? No there is not!

zoltani

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1640 on: February 13, 2015, 03:15:36 PM »

Someone sounds jaded...
The hardest thing in the world is to simplify your life. Its so easy to make it complex. Whats important is leading an examined life.

Yvon Chouinard

prudent_one

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1641 on: February 14, 2015, 05:07:19 AM »

When I was just starting out in the working world, the place I worked had lots of overtime available. I dove in with both feet - 10 hour days plus 8 on Saturday. After a couple weeks, one of the old-timers called me aside and said I should rethink whether I should be working all those hours. He explained that the taxes go up and up and you get to the point where you're actually losing money with every extra hour.  He actually said "losing money."

This seemed ludicrous on the surface but I didn't know very much about taxes. A little research at the library (no internet in those days) showed me that the most I could possibly be paying was about 30-odd percent. Hmmm.  Being a polite lad, I didn't confront the old-timer and continued to work all the hours I could get, but I still wondered why he thought taxes could exceed 100%.

After a while I figured it out. He discouraged the new people from working all that overtime so the work backlog would stay high, and the old-timers could work the overtime longer.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #1642 on: February 14, 2015, 07:46:35 AM »
i'm sure it had more to do with being pushed into the next tax bracket. if you work enough OT to do that, you can actually lose money by going over.
ET ERE: 5yrs

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1643 on: February 14, 2015, 07:54:27 AM »
i'm sure it had more to do with being pushed into the next tax bracket. if you work enough OT to do that, you can actually lose money by going over.

Being pushed into 'the next tax bracket' only affects the dollars you earn in that bracket.  It doesn't mean your entire income is now taxed at the new marginal rate. 

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1644 on: February 14, 2015, 08:22:10 AM »

Being pushed into 'the next tax bracket' only affects the dollars you earn in that bracket.  It doesn't mean your entire income is now taxed at the new marginal rate.
+1

This misconception drives me crazy.

When I was just starting out in the working world, the place I worked had lots of overtime available. I dove in with both feet - 10 hour days plus 8 on Saturday. After a couple weeks, one of the old-timers called me aside and said I should rethink whether I should be working all those hours. He explained that the taxes go up and up and you get to the point where you're actually losing money with every extra hour.  He actually said "losing money."

This seemed ludicrous on the surface but I didn't know very much about taxes. A little research at the library (no internet in those days) showed me that the most I could possibly be paying was about 30-odd percent. Hmmm.  Being a polite lad, I didn't confront the old-timer and continued to work all the hours I could get, but I still wondered why he thought taxes could exceed 100%.

After a while I figured it out. He discouraged the new people from working all that overtime so the work backlog would stay high, and the old-timers could work the overtime longer.
You mean marginal tax rate. If he meant overall tax rate could exceed 100%, then you would literally have a negative incentive to work at all, and you should stop working immediately.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1645 on: February 14, 2015, 08:25:10 AM »

Your earnings will get withheld at a higher rate (as if you earned like that the whole year). This can appear as if you're getting taxed more, thus the confusion!

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1646 on: February 14, 2015, 09:02:19 AM »

Your earnings will get withheld at a higher rate (as if you earned like that the whole year). This can appear as if you're getting taxed more, thus the confusion!
Yep.  Had this happen to me once years ago when I was a teen.  I took a short extra shift, which pushed my withholding just into the next tier.  My check was actually smaller than normal - aargh! - why did I blow my Saturday for that?  Of course it evened out at filing time.
I am grateful to the office manager who took time to explain it to me and even gave me a copy of the IRS table.
Had she not helped me understand I would have believed that working overtime resulted in a permanent loss of time and money.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1647 on: February 14, 2015, 11:57:42 AM »

Yep.  Had this happen to me once years ago when I was a teen.  I took a short extra shift, which pushed my withholding just into the next tier.  My check was actually smaller than normal - aargh! - why did I blow my Saturday for that?  Of course it evened out at filing time.
I am grateful to the office manager who took time to explain it to me and even gave me a copy of the IRS table.
Had she not helped me understand I would have believed that working overtime resulted in a permanent loss of time and money.
That's a nice manager! And I'm actually a tad surprised your manager actually understood how withholding worked too!

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1648 on: February 14, 2015, 11:19:57 PM »

Let me guess- you have never done your own tax return, have you.....

My ( unasked for) advice...

"Proceed to the nearest tax calculator, and input your annual base salary, repeat with the largest overtime salary included.  Do not pass go, do not collect $200"

Here, let me help, this is the very first link I could find...
http://www.irscalculators.com/tax-brackets-calculator.php

This one has a neat slider

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/tax-planning/quick-tax-rate-calculator.aspx

pancakes

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1649 on: February 15, 2015, 12:01:59 AM »
I got a pay rise last year that resulted in my take-home pay reducing. It wasn't to do with taxes so much as with the way student loans to the government are payed back in Australia.

Before the pay increase I was below the threshold for making payments (just). After the pay rise I had an extra 4% of my income taken out with my tax.

Sure I'm reducing my student debt but with the way our student loans are set up, I'd rather the extra money now.