Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082438 times)

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #1550 on: February 11, 2015, 01:08:30 AM »
I really wonder about these people who need to wait for payday to buy something. Are they not able to float the charge on a credit card? Are all their credit cards maxed out?
Well yes, some people are bad with finances and max out their credit cards. There have been stories posted on this very thread with people in that situation.
Also, in 2014, 29% of Americans did not have any credit cards whatsoever http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/ownership-statistics-charts-1276.php

There's never been a point in my life where my ability to buy anything has been constrained by cash flow (other than big ticket items like a house). I saved $12,000 in my first 4 months of work at age 19, and it's only been upward from there. Cash flow has never been a problem. It wasn't hard to achieve, so it really baffles me how there are adults out there constrained by cash flow.
Man your elitism shows up again here (as it showed up in that other thread about emergency funds). Saving $12k in 4 months at age 19 is a gross annual pay of over $38,982 (where I've assumed zero income taxes - obviously not true but I'm just establishing a lower bound here, payroll taxes of 7.65%, and you saving literally every single cent of your net income). Why is it so hard for you to understand that some people don't make that much?

Rosbif

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1551 on: February 11, 2015, 08:12:14 AM »
Collected from a number of posts on a group I'm part of:

She's recently divorced and their "sweat equity" house was foreclosed on (how do you lose a house that was almost given to you?)
Just had a baby with her new boyfriend, bringing the total to six.
Boyfriend makes minimum wage.  Ex-husband makes a bit more than minimum.
She, boyfriend, ex and four of the kids are living in a one-bedroom house.  Two of the kids are living with friends.

With three adults in the house, I asked why she couldn't get a job while the men were at home to take care of the kids.  Her answer - "Because my kids need a mom!!!".

So three adults, two adult children and only two jobs among all of them.   

Personally I'd rather dig ditches with the baby strapped to my back to avoid living in that situation.
Don't you ever wanna grab someone by the collar, shake the fuck out of them, and say "STOP FUCKING BREEDING!!"?

Yes, but I would stop my advice one word sooner than you did. ;)

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1552 on: February 11, 2015, 08:29:13 AM »
I really wonder about these people who need to wait for payday to buy something. Are they not able to float the charge on a credit card? Are all their credit cards maxed out?
Well yes, some people are bad with finances and max out their credit cards. There have been stories posted on this very thread with people in that situation.
Also, in 2014, 29% of Americans did not have any credit cards whatsoever http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/ownership-statistics-charts-1276.php

There's never been a point in my life where my ability to buy anything has been constrained by cash flow (other than big ticket items like a house). I saved $12,000 in my first 4 months of work at age 19, and it's only been upward from there. Cash flow has never been a problem. It wasn't hard to achieve, so it really baffles me how there are adults out there constrained by cash flow.
Man your elitism shows up again here (as it showed up in that other thread about emergency funds). Saving $12k in 4 months at age 19 is a gross annual pay of over $38,982 (where I've assumed zero income taxes - obviously not true but I'm just establishing a lower bound here, payroll taxes of 7.65%, and you saving literally every single cent of your net income). Why is it so hard for you to understand that some people don't make that much?

someone had to say it. thanks johnny :)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1553 on: February 11, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
I don't know what the big deal is.  I got an NBA contract straight out of high school and made millions.  Why doesn't everyone just do what I did?  I can't even fathom how someone could have trouble making money.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1554 on: February 11, 2015, 09:47:33 AM »
Post: "Our internet and cable are out. We don't know how to cope with life now."
Comment: "Holy hell. I'd die. The kids go into freak out mode if ours has even a little drop. Even for a minute. "How can I watch Netflix in my room with no internet?" "

Personally, I would be deathly ashamed to post either that I have no life outside passive entertainment or that I am not teaching my kids resilience and self-entertainment skills...

Hey now, if my kids want to save up for something like that, all the power to them. I remember when I saved up for an N64 game. Ocarina of Time. Best feeling to save up for something I wanted. Now, if the kids just expect it, then tough.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1555 on: February 11, 2015, 10:25:16 AM »
I saved $12,000 in my first 4 months of work at age 19

Whoa - How did you earn so much money at age 19?

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #1556 on: February 11, 2015, 10:33:53 AM »

When I took up accordion, suddenly people started GIVING them to me.  Old accordions apparently lurk in many people's closets/attics.  I finally had to start saying "no thanks," and am now back down to "only" three (two of which I play and one of which is extremely sentimental). 

I realize there is an accordion joke here, but many jokes have a basis in truth...

If you play the accordion, this is for you:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/3231da28bb/weird-the-al-yankovic-story

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1557 on: February 11, 2015, 11:14:56 AM »

When I was 19 I was working 2 jobs -
one 40 hours a week at $4 an hour
one 20 hours a week at $3.35 an hour

For approximately 17 weeks, that comes out to about $1139, assuming I didn't pay taxes, which I didn't.

I have family members who work full time and make about $10 an hour after 30 years of work.  That is $6800  in about 17 weeks of work.  These are fairly skilled people who live in a small town.

In fact, the median US HOUSEHOLD income is $50,502, which corresponds to $16,834 in 17 weeks/ 4 months.

Good lord you are living in a dream land of privilege.  At least admit it.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1558 on: February 11, 2015, 11:32:08 AM »

If you have to ask, you don't want to know.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #1559 on: February 11, 2015, 01:07:26 PM »
Wait, is there another way to do it?
Yeah, it's called IVF

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1560 on: February 11, 2015, 01:36:48 PM »
I don't know what the big deal is.  I got an NBA contract straight out of high school and made millions.  Why doesn't everyone just do what I did?  I can't even fathom how someone could have trouble making money.

Frugal, don't be so insensitive.  Not everyone has Asperger's like you.

bzzzt

• Bristles
  • 5v to Lightning Bolts...
« Reply #1561 on: February 11, 2015, 09:00:22 PM »
I have family members who work full time and make about $10 an hour after 30 years of work. ... These are fairly skilled people who live in a small town.

That baffles me, why not move? I made more than that working at a retail office supply store right out of high school, 12 years ago. I could have made $10/hr driving around on garbage day and picking up scrap metal/stuff to re-sell as an easy side hustle. I know it's common, but it still blows me away every time.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #1562 on: February 12, 2015, 12:15:24 AM »
Haha yeah cathy comes off as an elitist(!)...buuut then again, so does pretty much everyone on this forum to an extent. Exhibit a) wall of shame and comedy b)we sit around this forum talking about investments, saving rates and frugality*-Im pretty sure much of the world's population would conclude we are overpriviliged jerks judging from our forum and first world problems lol
just saying...
*holy shit we have so much money/stuff that we actually have to plan not to over-consume.

MilwaukeeStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #1563 on: February 12, 2015, 07:37:37 AM »

I was a software developer, and a severely underpaid one due to a lack of negotiation skills and general cluelessness about free market economics. Luckily I've improved at that stuff in the intervening years.

I'm missing something here...

Melchior

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1564 on: February 12, 2015, 08:39:03 AM »

I was a software developer, and a severely underpaid one due to a lack of negotiation skills and general cluelessness about free market economics. Luckily I've improved at that stuff in the intervening years.

Simple, Cathy is saying that I'm an incredibly super extremely underpaid software developer.

Aushin

• Stubble
« Reply #1565 on: February 12, 2015, 09:05:07 AM »
Yeah we're all a bit self-righteous but I think there's a difference between "They had SIX kids?  Jesus Christ!!" and "Why didn't you save 40 thousand dollars when you were 19 it's so easy"

Cathy's a LOT closer to Mitt Romney telling kids to ask their parents for a loan to start a business.  Very out of touch.  At least some degree of self-delusion to believe that's an every day possibility.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1566 on: February 12, 2015, 09:56:33 AM »

Simple, Cathy is saying that I'm an incredibly super extremely underpaid software developer.

At age 19 I was making $8/hour as a software developer, which was less than a dollar over minimum wage in my state at the time. And because I was still in college I was only able to work full time over the summer. A couple years later I was able to get some better paying internships, but even then saving up $12k in 4 months would have been virtually impossible.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #1567 on: February 12, 2015, 10:25:28 AM »

I don't get why people are bashing her for this... give credit where credit is due. Kudos to you Cathy. If you have a skill you should utilize it, not feel bad because you have it.

Le0

• Stubble
    • My Path to Financial Independence in 2014
« Reply #1568 on: February 12, 2015, 10:31:53 AM »
Post: "Our internet and cable are out. We don't know how to cope with life now."
Comment: "Holy hell. I'd die. The kids go into freak out mode if ours has even a little drop. Even for a minute. "How can I watch Netflix in my room with no internet?" "

Personally, I would be deathly ashamed to post either that I have no life outside passive entertainment or that I am not teaching my kids resilience and self-entertainment skills...

Hey now, if my kids want to save up for something like that, all the power to them. I remember when I saved up for an N64 game. Ocarina of Time. Best feeling to save up for something I wanted. Now, if the kids just expect it, then tough.

Best game to have saved up for... many and hour I spent running around that world :P

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #1569 on: February 12, 2015, 10:38:13 AM »

I don't get why people are bashing her for this... give credit where credit is due. Kudos to you Cathy. If you have a skill you should utilize it, not feel bad because you have it.

i dont think people are upset that she saved alot of money. they are upset that she is trying to use herself as an example. when trying to comparing financial situations,  its hard to tell the 99%,  they should be more like the 1%.

it's ignoring the fact that the 99% have more factors against them.

for example:  talking about having saved 12k in four months at 19, is bragging for no real reason.

because this isnt usable advice for like 99.9% of the population.

this means she made at least 36k per year at 19, that is assuming no taxes and 0 money at all spent. most 19 yo earn minimum wage( in the USA) which is less than half of that.

I am ignoring the disbelief that was expressed at the idea of not having enough left on the cc. ( once again assuming everyone has a cc, (cause duh every does) )

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1570 on: February 12, 2015, 10:41:04 AM »

We're not bashing Cathy for using her skills to save $12k in four months at age 19 (well at least, I'm not). She's just being a rational actor - trying to maximize her own profits in a way that I have no reason to doubt otherwise was ethical and legal.

We're bashing her for being way out of touch:
There's never been a point in my life where my ability to buy anything has been constrained by cash flow (other than big ticket items like a house)......Cash flow has never been a problem. It wasn't hard to achieve, so it really baffles me how there are adults out there constrained by cash flow.
[emphasis mine]

When it is a fact that
In fact, the median US HOUSEHOLD income is $50,502, which corresponds to $16,834 in 17 weeks/ 4 months.
Considering that's household income we're talking about here, the "median individual" cannot save $12k in 4 months because he or she literally does not make at least $12k in four months. And that's gross income we're talking about here, we're not even considering taxes and a bare minimum of expenses.

And that's the median individual, meaning half the population is earning less than that.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:42:39 AM by johnny847 »

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1571 on: February 12, 2015, 10:41:04 AM »

i dont think people are upset that she saved alot of money. they are upset that she is trying to use herself as an example. when trying to comparing financial situations,  its hard to tell the 99%,  they should be more like the 1%.

it's ignoring the fact that the 99% have more factors against them.

for example:  talking about having saved 12k in four months at 19, is bragging for no real reason.

because this isnt usable advice for like 99.9% of the population.

this means she made at least 36k per year at 19, that is assuming no taxes and 0 money at all spent. most 19 yo earn minimum wage( in the USA) which is less than half of that.

I am ignoring the disbelief that was expressed at the idea of not having enough left on the cc. ( once again assuming everyone has a cc, (cause duh every does) )

Well said, touche (I don't know how to get the little squiggle thing above the letter, but you get the point)

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1572 on: February 12, 2015, 10:56:05 AM »

Best game to have saved up for... many and hour I spent running around that world :P

Damn water temple.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #1573 on: February 12, 2015, 10:58:43 AM »
I combined that proposition with a personal anecdote, which was apparently insensitive. My life has actually not been as lovely as you might surmise but I don't engage in the oppression Olympics games, so I don't intend to post about that here.
The insensitive part wasn't to combine your proposition with a personal anecdote. If you had said "I managed to save $12k in four months, so I've never had a cash flow problem. But, I recognize that this is atypical," then I wouldn't be bashing you (and I think most other people wouldn't.

The insensitive part was saying
Cash flow has never been a problem.....It wasn't hard to achieve, so it really baffles me how there are adults out there constrained by cash flow.
You're implying that because it was easy for you, it must be easy for everybody else, and hence, everybody else is dumb for having cash flow issues.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1574 on: February 12, 2015, 11:13:10 AM »
One of the features I like about OS X is the way you can hold down "e" to get a little menu that lets you choose which accent you want, including é (which is called an "acute accent" in English by the way, or "accent aigu" in French).

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Apparently I don't have  OS X :( but I appreciate the response, and learning something new!

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1575 on: February 12, 2015, 01:15:19 PM »
Saw this gem on a local Buy Sell Trade page today....

"FREE CAR!!! just pick up the payments serious inquires only what is owed $26000 monthly payments $443 @ 4% apr"

Yeahhh "Free".... Riggghhhhttt...

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #1576 on: February 12, 2015, 01:29:44 PM »

"FREE CAR!!! just pick up the payments serious inquires only what is owed $26000 monthly payments $443 @ 4% apr"

hmm not a bad rate

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1577 on: February 12, 2015, 01:41:48 PM »

Just sounds like good marketing to me. Nobody will really think it's free. But they will have to think about it for a minute, and that is the point.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1578 on: February 12, 2015, 02:06:35 PM »
55" TV in the BEDROOM?  I'll admit we have one in our TV room, but that is insane as a bedroom TV.

Um, yeah. He's single, too, so it's not like he's having family movie nights in the king-sized bed or something.

I really don't want to know what he IS watching on that giant bedroom TV.

If he's a dude living by himself I'm impressed if he's confining that sort of thing to the bedroom.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1579 on: February 12, 2015, 02:11:03 PM »

Just sounds like good marketing to me. Nobody will really think it's free. But they will have to think about it for a minute, and that is the point.

I saw the same thing not long ago... 2014 some model of SUV... only $500, and you have to take over my payments... I am no expert, but I don't think you can just take over the monthly contract like a cell phone...

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #1580 on: February 12, 2015, 02:19:00 PM »

I saw the same thing not long ago... 2014 some model of SUV... only $500, and you have to take over my payments... I am no expert, but I don't think you can just take over the monthly contract like a cell phone...

you can do a lease transfer

jmusic

• Bristles
« Reply #1581 on: February 12, 2015, 03:04:07 PM »

It actually is possible, but the bank has to approve the transfer.  Really what it means is that you'd be taking over someone else's negative equity!!!  Otherwise, you'd get your own loan as the buyer.  BTW, you still have to pay sales tax!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1582 on: February 12, 2015, 03:20:15 PM »
I have family members who work full time and make about $10 an hour after 30 years of work. ... These are fairly skilled people who live in a small town.

That baffles me, why not move? I made more than that working at a retail office supply store right out of high school, 12 years ago. I could have made $10/hr driving around on garbage day and picking up scrap metal/stuff to re-sell as an easy side hustle. I know it's common, but it still blows me away every time.
Move where?  It's a small, rural town.  All your family and friends live there.  I mean, I left.  A few of my silbings left, but at least 50% of the people...don't.  They are close to family, parents, siblings, etc.

Of course, other things are cheaper there too.  Sure, they could move, but to give you perspective - many of my families' homes were around $60,000.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1583 on: February 12, 2015, 07:59:09 PM »
An ex-coworker of mine just posted a GoFundMe for... wait for it... $1,000 worth of All-Clad cookware.

"My beautiful stove needs companions that are fitting for it, so I need a little help to make this love story happen."

She makes over $100k/year. Single, no kids, had a full-ride scholarship AFAIK.

5 previous FB posts: picture of expensive food in a city 3,000 mi away (x3), picture of city's skyline, picture of a new condo in a high-rise in a major metropolitan area.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1584 on: February 12, 2015, 11:10:36 PM »
One of the features I like about OS X is the way you can hold down "e" to get a little menu that lets you choose which accent you want, including é (which is called an "acute accent" in English by the way, or "accent aigu" in French).

Apparently I don't have  OS X :( but I appreciate the response, and learning something new!

LOL. *1000!

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #1585 on: February 13, 2015, 06:59:09 AM »
An ex-coworker of mine just posted a GoFundMe for... wait for it... $1,000 worth of All-Clad cookware.

"My beautiful stove needs companions that are fitting for it, so I need a little help to make this love story happen."

5 previous FB posts: picture of expensive food in a city 3,000 mi away (x3), picture of city's skyline, picture of a new condo in a high-rise in a major metropolitan area.

I hope nobody is actually giving her money...

SmallCheese

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1586 on: February 13, 2015, 07:12:24 AM »
A man I had very briefly dated:

"I have exactly $6 to my name until tomorrow. I think 2 pints are going to be my plan for the evening."

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1587 on: February 13, 2015, 07:27:44 AM »

"I have exactly $6 to my name until tomorrow. I think 2 pints are going to be my plan for the evening."
Sounds like a good decision...:)

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #1588 on: February 13, 2015, 08:11:00 AM »

so he was waiting for that midnight paycheck. i did that last night. this doesnt mean im on the street pooor. rent is paid utilities paid. car full of gas. and money in my emergency account.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1589 on: February 13, 2015, 08:12:50 AM »

I literally don't understand how it is possible for people to think that's an acceptable thing to post. what in the holy jesus fuck. seriously, that has to qualify as some kind of mental/social disorder.

so he was waiting for that midnight paycheck. i did that last night. this doesnt mean im on the street pooor. rent is paid utilities paid. car full of gas. and money in my emergency account.

if you have money in your emergency account, don't you have more than $6 to your name, though?

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #1590 on: February 13, 2015, 08:24:59 AM »

I literally don't understand how it is possible for people to think that's an acceptable thing to post. what in the holy jesus fuck. seriously, that has to qualify as some kind of mental/social disorder.

if you have money in your emergency account, don't you have more than $6 to your name, though?

maybe im in a generous mood, but i know myself,  and others, who use this phrase to say we are broke,  when we just mean the amount of money left to spend on frivolous things has run out. 

SmallCheese

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1591 on: February 13, 2015, 08:50:17 AM »

maybe im in a generous mood, but i know myself,  and others, who use this phrase to say we are broke,  when we just mean the amount of money left to spend on frivolous things has run out.

I can tell you for a fact that he meant that he had exactly $6.

Elliot

• Bristles
« Reply #1592 on: February 13, 2015, 09:34:00 AM »
CW: "I got side job. It's 10 hours a week, and pays [roughly 2/3 current pay]"

me: "Why not take 10 hours of overtime here a week and get paid time and a half of your current rate?"

CW: "Because then the government would get all the extra in taxes."

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1593 on: February 13, 2015, 09:46:46 AM »

Unbelievable.  Makes me wonder if she is a psychopath.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1594 on: February 13, 2015, 10:44:07 AM »

me: "Why not take 10 hours of overtime here a week and get paid time and a half of your current rate?"

oh geez.  the stupid. it burns

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1595 on: February 13, 2015, 10:51:16 AM »

My brain just exploded

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1596 on: February 13, 2015, 11:02:21 AM »
55" TV in the BEDROOM?  I'll admit we have one in our TV room, but that is insane as a bedroom TV.

Um, yeah. He's single, too, so it's not like he's having family movie nights in the king-sized bed or something.

I really don't want to know what he IS watching on that giant bedroom TV.

If he's a dude living by himself I'm impressed if he's confining that sort of thing to the bedroom.

I'm sure the 3D tv in the living room gets some mileage on that sort of thing.

hernandz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1597 on: February 13, 2015, 11:19:55 AM »

Many, not all Windows apps let you hold down the Alt key while typing in a 4-digit number on the number pad to produce accented letters. é equals ALT-0233, á equals ALT-0225 .  Microsoft Office has a smart approach.  Hold down the CTRL key while pressing the kind of accent mark you need, then let go and type the letter   é = CRTL-', then e.  ê = CTRL-^, then e

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1598 on: February 13, 2015, 11:32:29 AM »

Many, not all Windows apps let you hold down the Alt key while typing in a 4-digit number on the number pad to produce accented letters. é equals ALT-0233, á equals ALT-0225 .  Microsoft Office has a smart approach.  Hold down the CTRL key while pressing the kind of accent mark you need, then let go and type the letter   é = CRTL-', then e.  ê = CTRL-^, then e

Mac you can do it by hitting option+e (for the ' accent) then e again. I think option+i is ^, option+o is the umlaut, option+n is ~. Don't recall where the ` is.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1599 on: February 13, 2015, 11:53:14 AM »

More than likely she is like many (but by no means all or even the majority) women who learn, through conditioning from the dating world, that if you ask people of things they will buy them for you.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!