Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 1954427 times)

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #1400 on: January 13, 2015, 09:04:10 AM »
Although I am not saying you should buy it, or anyone else that doesn't have the means to, but how is this so different than spending $100 on a meal out to eat for a treat, this person could enjoy a great cup every morning for a few weeks I assume.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1401 on: January 13, 2015, 09:40:14 AM »
Although I am not saying you should buy it, or anyone else that doesn't have the means to, but how is this so different than spending $100 on a meal out to eat for a treat, this person could enjoy a great cup every morning for a few weeks I assume.
That's what I was thinking.  From what I've gathered on this forum, drinks at Starbucks are ~$5.  So he could have 20 cups of coffee at home in order to break even. 

Maybe I deserve a facepunch, but I buy nice loose leaf tea for my home and office.  The thought of picking up a hot tea at a restaurant or Starbucks (or Peet's) is NOT an option.  The quality isn't there.  Could I spend less on tea?  Of course.  Bob W frequently gets 100s of tea bags from WalMart for a few dollars (correct me if I'm wrong). 

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #1402 on: January 13, 2015, 09:47:31 AM »
I order loose leaf tea from Upton Tea Importers and use it to make iced tea, which I drink nearly.every day at breakfast and lunch. I spend probably $50-70 for a year's supply, which compares favorably with buying bagged tea at the grocery.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1403 on: January 13, 2015, 10:06:17 AM »
I order loose leaf tea from Upton Tea Importers and use it to make iced tea, which I drink nearly.every day at breakfast and lunch. I spend probably $50-70 for a year's supply, which compares favorably with buying bagged tea at the grocery.
Thanks!  I'm looking at the website right now.  Most of my loose leaf teas are gifts, but I do run out of my favorite (and restock at $3/oz). 

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1404 on: January 13, 2015, 01:28:41 PM »
Thanks!  I'm looking at the website right now.  Most of my loose leaf teas are gifts, but I do run out of my favorite (and restock at $3/oz).

Because I'm a prissy pants who is picky about tea, I buy loose tea. My compromise favorite is Yunnan Noir from Adagio.com where it costs $28.90 a pound for really good tea if you have it on auto-delivery (which I do). I used to buy from Upton Tea Importers (and sometimes still do) but for my morning quaff, I find that the Yunnan Noir is the best for the price.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1405 on: January 13, 2015, 01:43:51 PM »

Because I'm a prissy pants who is picky about tea, I buy loose tea. My compromise favorite is Yunnan Noir from Adagio.com where it costs $28.90 a pound for really good tea if you have it on auto-delivery (which I do). I used to buy from Upton Tea Importers (and sometimes still do) but for my morning quaff, I find that the Yunnan Noir is the best for the price.

I am a HUGE fan of  Teasource, it's a local tea shop here in Minnesota and they do ship nationally. Please take a look at them, the owner is a really nice guy and I would like them to get more business. I've tried quite a few of their teas, please let me know if you have any questions about anything there.* If you like herbal teas, I highly recommend Evening in Missoula. Their website is Teasource.com.

*I realize I sound like a shill for them, I'm not. What I am is a HUGE fan of local businesses that have awesome employees and owners.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1406 on: January 13, 2015, 02:32:49 PM »

I am a HUGE fan of  Teasource, it's a local tea shop here in Minnesota and they do ship nationally. Please take a look at them, the owner is a really nice guy and I would like them to get more business. I've tried quite a few of their teas, please let me know if you have any questions about anything there.* If you like herbal teas, I highly recommend Evening in Missoula. Their website is Teasource.com.

*I realize I sound like a shill for them, I'm not. What I am is a HUGE fan of local businesses that have awesome employees and owners.

I love good tea! It is one of the areas I have to exercise great control or I end up with a house filled with tea and a depleted bank account. Teasource looks good. I've never had "Dark Tea", have you? Is it similar to puerh in earthiness?

If I order from them, should I mention you? I know some tea sites give tea credit if you recommend someone.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1407 on: January 13, 2015, 03:00:51 PM »

I love good tea! It is one of the areas I have to exercise great control or I end up with a house filled with tea and a depleted bank account. Teasource looks good. I've never had "Dark Tea", have you? Is it similar to puerh in earthiness?

If I order from them, should I mention you? I know some tea sites give tea credit if you recommend someone.

Yeah I hear ya! I went through and looked at how many teas I have and right now I have 10 at my place, and probably a ton more at my parents. Thankfully almost all are 4oz or less, and many were gifts. My freight forwarded sent me a few kilos of good oolong when he discovered that I love tea, probably one of my favorite gifts as he had to handcarry it with him when he came to the US.

I don't know they give a credit or anything, either way don't worry about it. I'm just happy that you like their tea. Dark Tea is similar to puerh, but the flavor is different. I LOVE puerh's earthiness, but I haven't gotten into dark tea. I believe that most dark teas are intended to be consumed promptly, whereas puerhs age wonderfully. For the flavor, the dark teas I've tried are hit and miss. I believe I had this a few months ago and thought it was good.

http://www.teasource.com/tea-products/Dark_Tea/5003.html

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1408 on: January 13, 2015, 05:18:32 PM »

Yeah I hear ya! I went through and looked at how many teas I have and right now I have 10 at my place, and probably a ton more at my parents. Thankfully almost all are 4oz or less, and many were gifts. My freight forwarded sent me a few kilos of good oolong when he discovered that I love tea, probably one of my favorite gifts as he had to handcarry it with him when he came to the US.

I don't know they give a credit or anything, either way don't worry about it. I'm just happy that you like their tea. Dark Tea is similar to puerh, but the flavor is different. I LOVE puerh's earthiness, but I haven't gotten into dark tea. I believe that most dark teas are intended to be consumed promptly, whereas puerhs age wonderfully. For the flavor, the dark teas I've tried are hit and miss. I believe I had this a few months ago and thought it was good.

http://www.teasource.com/tea-products/Dark_Tea/5003.html
This is the best conversation.  I love loose leaf tea, but I'm surrounded by coffee snobs that talk about poo coffee (seriously).  I'm so glad I'm not alone in my high quality tea love. 

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1409 on: January 14, 2015, 07:22:51 AM »
Am I the only one who doesn't care about tea? A whole page of tea foam.  I keep checking this thread because it was amusing me, and keep getting disappointed that it's just a tea discussion. 

DSA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1410 on: January 14, 2015, 07:28:15 AM »
I also prefer loose leaf tea, though the way I prefer to get it is to go to a nearby Asian grocery store and get whatever loose leaf they have. I feel that helpfully avoids the "trendy premium" a lot of tea shops have. I recently got a pound of jasmine tea for about $6.

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #1411 on: January 14, 2015, 07:39:49 AM »
Am I the only one who doesn't care about tea?

Yes.

OK, just kidding.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1412 on: January 14, 2015, 08:21:10 AM »
I also prefer loose leaf tea, though the way I prefer to get it is to go to a nearby Asian grocery store and get whatever loose leaf they have. I feel that helpfully avoids the "trendy premium" a lot of tea shops have. I recently got a pound of jasmine tea for about $6.

Yeah, they have some great deals. Good price! I do get some teas from the Asian grocery store, though I've noticed that they are great for safe bets, for anything more adventurous I will go to Teasource. I should note that they have seats and you can order their tea by the pot (2 or 4 cups), and will meet up with a friend or two there. Would much prefer this to meeting at Starbucks.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1413 on: January 14, 2015, 08:39:37 AM »
Am I the only one who doesn't care about tea? A whole page of tea foam.  I keep checking this thread because it was amusing me, and keep getting disappointed that it's just a tea discussion.

Now you got me thinking about a hot cup of milky tea with foam on top... muy delicioso...

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1414 on: January 14, 2015, 08:49:28 AM »
as long as we are going off topic

I think this joke works equally as well with tea.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1415 on: January 14, 2015, 08:53:30 AM »
I like video games too, so you won't be hearing any foamy complaints from me!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #1416 on: January 14, 2015, 09:30:30 AM »
as long as we are going off topic

I think this joke works equally as well with tea.

LOL
I quit my WoW addiction 3.5 years ago, but I'm amused that I understood every word.

FTR: Go to Grizzly Hills, if only for the background music.

J'onn J'onzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1417 on: January 14, 2015, 09:49:35 AM »
For The Horde!!!

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #1418 on: January 14, 2015, 10:12:56 AM »
Why not just overcome your caffine dependency and just drink water? Coffee and tea are so overpriced, No True Mustachian™ would ever drink them.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Growing a Pony 'Stache
« Reply #1419 on: January 14, 2015, 12:01:12 PM »
Why not just overcome your caffine dependency and just drink water? Coffee and tea are so overpriced, No True Mustachian™ would ever drink them.

Which is weird because MMM drinks coffee.  So MMM is not Mustachian.  Mind = Blown.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1420 on: January 14, 2015, 12:13:12 PM »

Which is weird because MMM drinks coffee.  So MMM is not Mustachian.  Mind = Blown.

He's a false prophet.

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1421 on: January 14, 2015, 12:36:49 PM »
But his profits aren't false!

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1422 on: January 14, 2015, 01:13:58 PM »
Touche.  All hail the mustache!

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1423 on: January 14, 2015, 01:56:05 PM »

He's a false prophet.

We should follow the gourd.

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • This night has silence and very little fear
    • The MMM Blogger Community
« Reply #1424 on: January 14, 2015, 04:23:37 PM »
With the TM I see you're probably pretty self aware and may be honestly asking. So I've gotta say - it's not a caffeine dependency, and it costs hardly anything.

I use an astounding six tablespoons of coffee when I make a french press worth, which is twice what an ordinary human would probably use. That's three ounces by volume and probably something like three-quarters of an ounce by weight. As mentioned above, my coffee costs me $5/lb. So for my crazy-strong, ultra-gourmet coffee, I'm paying approximately 25c/brew or 8c/cup. I haven't had coffee in three weeks or so, but damn if I don't enjoy it a whole lot when I do. It's a cheap thrill.

As for the tea - no way mi casa would function without a gallon of the stuff a day. You can take my oxygen before my iced tea. (At least it's not soda.)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1425 on: January 14, 2015, 04:42:11 PM »
With the TM I see you're probably pretty self aware and may be honestly asking. So I've gotta say - it's not a caffeine dependency, and it costs hardly anything.

I use an astounding six tablespoons of coffee when I make a french press worth, which is twice what an ordinary human would probably use. That's three ounces by volume and probably something like three-quarters of an ounce by weight. As mentioned above, my coffee costs me $5/lb. So for my crazy-strong, ultra-gourmet coffee, I'm paying approximately 25c/brew or 8c/cup. I haven't had coffee in three weeks or so, but damn if I don't enjoy it a whole lot when I do. It's a cheap thrill.

As for the tea - no way mi casa would function without a gallon of the stuff a day. You can take my oxygen before my iced tea. (At least it's not soda.)

I think of tea is the most affordable luxury in the world!

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1426 on: January 14, 2015, 07:16:30 PM »
This was my Facebook status last night:

"May you pick up your tea when it’s exactly the right temperature, and may you happen to glance out the window when the light is just how you like it."

I'm a rare poster, but I check it daily.  I work in community arts and we do a lot of communicating through Facebook groups and pages. 

Now for the the "overheard" part.  I got an invite to a friend's (acquaintance's) 30th birthday party.  She lives in the town I moved away from 8 years ago.  I have had no contact with her in at least 6 years.  I thought that was kind of nice, maybe she just invited every one on her friends list, she was the one hosting.  Two days later I got an email from Adagio teas that included her wish list for her birthday...  then more reminders about her party...

no. thank. you. 

craiglepaige

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1427 on: January 14, 2015, 08:24:40 PM »
This was my Facebook status last night:

"May you pick up your tea when it’s exactly the right temperature, and may you happen to glance out the window when the light is just how you like it."

I'm a rare poster, but I check it daily.  I work in community arts and we do a lot of communicating through Facebook groups and pages. 

Now for the the "overheard" part.  I got an invite to a friend's (acquaintance's) 30th birthday party.  She lives in the town I moved away from 8 years ago.  I have had no contact with her in at least 6 years.  I thought that was kind of nice, maybe she just invited every one on her friends list, she was the one hosting.  Two days later I got an email from Adagio teas that included her wish list for her birthday...  then more reminders about her party...

no. thank. you.

So you haven't spoken to this woman for over 6 years and out of the blue she invites you to her bday party, and then sends you(through the company's email) a wish list for the specific gift she wants?  People got some nerves...
-The conqueror will always become a slave to his conquest.
-Don't ever mistake wealth for worth.

PMG

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1428 on: January 14, 2015, 08:56:16 PM »
The local news paper posted this just now... Not antimustachian but it made me raise an eyebrow!

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1429 on: January 15, 2015, 10:36:17 AM »
The Costco/BJs store brand ground is actually pretty tasty. Folgers and maxwell house taste like cigarette ashes.

These days the quality and perception of coffee has become such an obsession for people that it's socially more acceptable to admit you dumpster drive than that you drink Maxwell House coffee. Well, since I write under a pseudonym anyway, I'll come out of the closet.

I drink Maxwell House and Folgers coffee - whichever is on sale at Costco. I find if you throw enough grounds into the coffee maker, it tastes fine. Sure, I'm not an idiot. Other, more expensive brands taste better, but since I major on quantity, I can't spend as much on the quality. It works for us, although I have "nicer" (the Aldi organic brand) coffee laying around for people who hyperbolically wax like above.   

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1430 on: January 15, 2015, 10:38:29 AM »
Facebook today for VHS Tapes:

OP: “38 vhs tapes for $20 obo... Message me if you're interested”
Response: “I AM. but i need about 1 week to give you cash.”

This person needs a week to raise $20.  WTF?

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1431 on: January 15, 2015, 11:38:09 AM »
Facebook today for VHS Tapes:

OP: “38 vhs tapes for $20 obo... Message me if you're interested”
Response: “I AM. but i need about 1 week to give you cash.”

This person needs a week to raise $20.  WTF?

Honestly i'm more perplexed that someone wants to purchase a lot of 38 vhs tapes. 

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1432 on: January 15, 2015, 02:05:10 PM »
The Costco/BJs store brand ground is actually pretty tasty. Folgers and maxwell house taste like cigarette ashes.

These days the quality and perception of coffee has become such an obsession for people that it's socially more acceptable to admit you dumpster drive than that you drink Maxwell House coffee. Well, since I write under a pseudonym anyway, I'll come out of the closet.

I drink Maxwell House and Folgers coffee - whichever is on sale at Costco. I find if you throw enough grounds into the coffee maker, it tastes fine. Sure, I'm not an idiot. Other, more expensive brands taste better, but since I major on quantity, I can't spend as much on the quality. It works for us, although I have "nicer" (the Aldi organic brand) coffee laying around for people who hyperbolically wax like above.
I prefer folgers to maxwell house. I don't know why and folgers is cheaper, but I do. I also dislike TH and like MacDonalds and Starbucks via. Love espresso and many fancy brands but morning coffe is folgers for me.

MustardTiger

• Stubble
« Reply #1433 on: January 15, 2015, 04:08:44 PM »
My favorite cheap coffee is cafe du monde.  For some inexplicable reason it is 8$ for a can at walmart but 3$ at the asian grocery.

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1434 on: January 15, 2015, 04:58:09 PM »
The parka discussion is a few days old, but I CAN'T RESIST chiming in to share that I own a pair of $300 leather hiking boots that took me through 2 years of daily 10-mile hikes (I was an archaeologist) when I first bought them about 4 years ago, protecting me from rocks and cactus and ankle sprains along the way. They now keep my feet toasty warm while walking/waiting for the bus and allow me to tromp through snow to avoid icy sidewalks. I do not regret a penny of that $300, and haven't spent anything on winter boots in 4 years, either.

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1435 on: January 15, 2015, 05:05:37 PM »

I drink King Soopers generic brand coffee (version of Kroger in these parts). And this is going to sound potentially even more highbrow than insisting on quality coffee, but I've yet to find ANY coffee in the US that compares even remotely to the coffee that came out of the machine at my school when I was studying abroad in Italy, much less what I could drink at a cafe for 1E, so I'll keep drinking my $5/huge can coffee and call it good.

shadowmoss

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1436 on: January 16, 2015, 01:19:22 AM »
I'm not on FB, but I have to chime in on the coffee discussion.  While living in Honduras, arguably one of the finest coffee-growing regions in the world, I bought Maxwell House coffe at the PX and drank it instead of the local coffee I could get at any local grocery.  One of my co-workers informed me I was definitely going to hell.  It is even illegal to import coffee into Honduras from anywhere else, so I'm not sure how the PX got away with it, but I was glad they did.  I just preferred what I was used to.  Here I go with the house brand at Costco or WalMart.
Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!

http://shadowmoss.blogspot.com/

Rangifer

• Stubble
« Reply #1437 on: January 16, 2015, 05:05:59 AM »
I've got one for you guys about a married couple I know. Beginning of December the wife lands in the hospital with a very serious issue. Cue fb posts by husband about having to work extra hours, it being so hard without her income, medical bills and more. One of their friends sets up one of those gofundme things for them to help them with their bills. Several thousand were raised. Fast forward to today and husband posts on fb about how hard it is to find a 70" Ultra HD TV for under 2k. In post comments he also mentions how he is over having a small tv (currently has a 50"), and how he's gonna now get a home theater setup. 

I feel bad for the wife because she is a very good person, but her husband has always had horrible spending habits. I also feel bad for the people who donated, as I'm sure I am not the only one who can connect the dots here.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 05:20:30 AM by Rangifer »

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1438 on: January 16, 2015, 09:41:32 AM »
Honestly, I'm surprised people don't just publicly ask "wtf" after donating money to their "cause"...

CheapskateWife

• Pencil Stache
  • Can I FIRE yet?
« Reply #1439 on: January 16, 2015, 10:12:13 AM »
My favorite cheap coffee is cafe du monde.  For some inexplicable reason it is 8$ for a can at walmart but 3$ at the asian grocery.

Holy smokes Mustard Tiger!  You should start selling that stuff on the black market!  I love it but have to order from amazon, because my podunk town walmart doesn't carry it anymore.  Same happened with Cafe Bustelo...I fell in love, Walmart discontinued.  Tried Cafe du Monde and loved it, Walmart discontinued :(

Sadly, they are my only local grocery option without driving 10 miles to the next town over.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #1440 on: January 16, 2015, 11:25:12 AM »
I've got one for you guys about a married couple I know. Beginning of December the wife lands in the hospital with a very serious issue. Cue fb posts by husband about having to work extra hours, it being so hard without her income, medical bills and more. One of their friends sets up one of those gofundme things for them to help them with their bills. Several thousand were raised. Fast forward to today and husband posts on fb about how hard it is to find a 70" Ultra HD TV for under 2k. In post comments he also mentions how he is over having a small tv (currently has a 50"), and how he's gonna now get a home theater setup. 

I feel bad for the wife because she is a very good person, but her husband has always had horrible spending habits. I also feel bad for the people who donated, as I'm sure I am not the only one who can connect the dots here.

I would be PISSED if I had donated money and the husband used it buy a freakin $2K TV.

marty998

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1441 on: January 16, 2015, 01:46:46 PM »

Honestly, I'm surprised people don't just publicly ask "wtf" after donating money to their "cause"...

Post a link to his page, there's 1000 people here that will happily troll him
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:48:55 PM by marty998 »

Rangifer

• Stubble
« Reply #1442 on: January 16, 2015, 02:26:24 PM »
I doubt any amount of trolling will help this guy. He's been like that forever. This is the same guy that enrolled in one of those fast-track for profit colleges, then got held back for a term, then was unable (too lazy) to pass the licensing exam for his new career. He now works in the shipping dept of some company, which is exactly what he used to do before the degree. He could easily double or triple his income if he were to actually pass the exam and become licensed. Instead this guy spends his free time collecting Transformers action figures and customizing his minivan with gaudy wheels and other ridiculous items. This guy is in his 30's btw. Mentally, he is still in that high school phase where how cool you are depends on what things you have.

The other part I left out was that the initial health issue is only resolved temporarily. There will be another extended hospital stay in the future to (hopefully) replace the faulty part. We'll see how much they raise the second time around...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:43:36 PM by Rangifer »

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1443 on: January 16, 2015, 03:01:07 PM »
I doubt any amount of trolling will help this guy. He's been like that forever. This is the same guy that enrolled in one of those fast-track for profit colleges, then got held back for a term, then was unable (too lazy) to pass the licensing exam for his new career. He now works in the shipping dept of some company, which is exactly what he used to do before the degree. He could easily double or triple his income if he were to actually pass the exam and become licensed. Instead this guy spends his free time collecting Transformers action figures and customizing his minivan with gaudy wheels and other ridiculous items. This guy is in his 30's btw. Mentally, he is still in that high school phase where how cool you are depends on what things you have.

The other part I left out was that the initial health issue is only resolved temporarily. There will be another extended hospital stay in the future to (hopefully) replace the faulty part. We'll see how much they raise the second time around...

In what world does putting rims on your minivan make you cool?  Sounds terrifying :D

Also I feel terrible for his poor wife :(

Rangifer

• Stubble
« Reply #1444 on: January 16, 2015, 03:19:05 PM »
Do a google image seach for "vip jdm minivan"

It is one of those things where it kinda looks cool if you take the picture from a certain angle...

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1445 on: January 16, 2015, 03:55:41 PM »
They see me rollin', they hatin'...

"Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe."  -- Einstein

Fuzzy Buttons

• Stubble
« Reply #1446 on: January 16, 2015, 05:49:01 PM »
Hey, I finally got something.  Friend posted a picture of his dog looking at a box labeled BarkBox. Turns out it's one of those monthly box of random crap subscriptions services.

For your dog.

RysChristensen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1447 on: January 16, 2015, 06:08:00 PM »
They see me rollin', they hatin'...

Hmmmm... think I could convince everyone that the plastic panel damage on MY Previa is "custom work"?

auntie_betty

• Stubble
« Reply #1448 on: January 17, 2015, 01:56:43 AM »
Do a google image seach for "vip jdm minivan"

It is one of those things where it kinda looks cool if you take the picture from a certain angle...

What - 1/4 mile away with another car in between?

Poor wife :(

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1449 on: January 17, 2015, 04:55:35 AM »
Haha. My coworker got a 6mo BarkBox subscription for my dog for Christmas. I wouldn't pay for it for sure, but so far its good quality more natural food and chew toys, only plastic so far is a flexible travel bowl.