Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 1761321 times)

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #1200 on: November 22, 2014, 04:44:04 PM »
Back to kids and houses and mess - the Yarn Harlot tells the story of when her three daughters had a water balloon fight in the house - and after she got mad at them and cleaned it up they did it again.  Her description is hilarious, but it must have been horrible at the time.   So maybe those who don't find it hard keeping the house tidy with kids at home just don't have very inventive kids?  And add pets to the mix - we all have stories of puppies/kittens and toilet paper trails miles long, right?

philby85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1201 on: November 23, 2014, 03:46:21 AM »
So maybe those who don't find it hard keeping the house tidy with kids at home just don't have very inventive kids? 

Or maybe they...
1) encourage their children to play outside
2) have children of above average intelligence
3) contain the mess to one room rather than spread over the whole house
4) run their house with military precision
5) teach their children the lesson when they do something wrong the first time
6) don't let pets inside the house

RetiredAt63

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1202 on: November 23, 2014, 08:02:17 AM »
Exactly!  There are so many possible reasons why one family may find it harder than another to keep things under control.  But so often the ones that can (keep things tidy, lose weight, quit smoking, etc. etc.) feel a moral superiority about it, instead of just being glad that for them it works.

So maybe those who don't find it hard keeping the house tidy with kids at home just don't have very inventive kids? 

Or maybe they...
1) encourage their children to play outside
2) have children of above average intelligence
3) contain the mess to one room rather than spread over the whole house
4) run their house with military precision
5) teach their children the lesson when they do something wrong the first time
6) don't let pets inside the house

NoraLenderbee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1203 on: November 23, 2014, 10:40:57 AM »
"Someone stole $100 bucks out of our van last night. No idea what we're going to do. We're fucked"
It came out in the comments they were going to use that money to pay for their storage. Double facepunch for being "fucked" by losing $100 and by apparently paying $100 a month to store shit. Oh and an extra one for leaving $100 in your car overnight when you live in the shaddy side of town

Wow, a trifecta! Who the heck leaves $100 in a car?

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1204 on: November 23, 2014, 11:44:25 AM »
I leave $20 in the glove box, enough to buy gas and get home if my wallet gets lost or stolen. Maybe $100 is the going rate for a fill up of whatever ridiculous vehicles people drive these days?

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #1205 on: November 23, 2014, 12:20:24 PM »
They probably blew the $100 bucks on weed and just forgot they spent it...

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #1206 on: November 23, 2014, 01:28:39 PM »
If you are at home all day how is your house not spotless? Do people have huge houses? Awful kids? Very tiny brooms?

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #1207 on: November 23, 2014, 02:14:57 PM »
If you are at home all day how is your house not spotless? Do people have huge houses? Awful kids? Very tiny brooms?
or maybe they have a life outside cleaning. Clean/tidy ok but spotless? Come on.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #1208 on: November 23, 2014, 05:20:30 PM »
Read today on FB: My friends are generally not an issue, but I am on a couple of message boards.  This one...just made me shake my head:

"I am asking for everyone's help as a lot of you may know recently there was a power outage due to a lightening strike that caused major loss to several families on the block, including us.  We lost our OVEN / MICROWAVE / 2 X- BOXES / STEREO SYSTEM / ALL THREE HOME PHONES / AND THREE FLAT SCREEN TV'S !! Due to our situation we can't afford to buy what we lost. Electric company won't replace without receipts, and not even full amount!  So if you have any of the items above that you wish to donate or sell at reasonable price please help"

I can understand the micro and oven.

But the rest? I have one home phone and one TV.

This happened to my MIL.  After a huge fight with the power company, she was able to get reimbursed.  Although she was only seeking [eta: reimbursement for] a box TV I think.  Tell your friend to spend her time fighting the electric company and for any warranties and such instead.

Homeowners/renters insurance should pay for damage caused by electrical surges, less the deductible.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1209 on: November 23, 2014, 05:25:02 PM »
Read today on FB: My friends are generally not an issue, but I am on a couple of message boards.  This one...just made me shake my head:

"I am asking for everyone's help as a lot of you may know recently there was a power outage due to a lightening strike that caused major loss to several families on the block, including us.  We lost our OVEN / MICROWAVE / 2 X- BOXES / STEREO SYSTEM / ALL THREE HOME PHONES / AND THREE FLAT SCREEN TV'S !! Due to our situation we can't afford to buy what we lost. Electric company won't replace without receipts, and not even full amount!  So if you have any of the items above that you wish to donate or sell at reasonable price please help"

I can understand the micro and oven.

But the rest? I have one home phone and one TV.

This happened to my MIL.  After a huge fight with the power company, she was able to get reimbursed.  Although she was only seeking [eta: reimbursement for] a box TV I think.  Tell your friend to spend her time fighting the electric company and for any warranties and such instead.

Homeowners/renters insurance should pay for damage caused by electrical surges, less the deductible.

You'd be surprised at how many people "self-insure".

And by self-insure I mean count on there never being something they'll need to claim for, because they sure as hell can't afford to replace this stuff.

There were massive floods here a few years ago, and while there were issues with insurance companies, the vast majority of people who lost everything either weren't insured at all, or decided to leave flood cover off their policies because they wouldn't ever have to use it. The Govt changed the legislation to make flood cover a mandatory part of every insurance cover after that, but that has probably made things worse because people will opt out rather than pay the higher premiums.

philby85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1210 on: November 23, 2014, 05:32:32 PM »
Exactly!  There are so many possible reasons why one family may find it harder than another to keep things under control.  But so often the ones that can (keep things tidy, lose weight, quit smoking, etc. etc.) feel a moral superiority about it, instead of just being glad that for them it works.

Or maybe they just get sick of hearing people complain about how difficult it is when (in their opinion) there are glaringly simple changes that could be made (not always, but more often than not). Some people are just messy people and will keep a messy house regardless of if they have children or not. The difference being children are their excuse for the mess.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #1211 on: November 23, 2014, 05:49:39 PM »

And by self-insure I mean count on there never being something they'll need to claim for, because they sure as hell can't afford to replace this stuff.

Generally, in the US, flood insurance is completely optional. Earthquake is an optional endorsement to most policies. If you have financed a property with a bank, they generally require you to carry replacement cost insurance on the structure, which will also include coverage for the contents. If you're renting, insurance for liability plus your possessions is stupidly cheap, around a couple hundred bucks per year if you shop around.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1212 on: November 23, 2014, 05:53:48 PM »

If you're renting, insurance for liability plus your possessions is stupidly cheap, around a couple hundred bucks per year if you shop around.

Oh I know it's cheap. It is here as well. But I still know of more than one person who doesn't have it.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1213 on: November 23, 2014, 06:44:14 PM »

Are you asking this question seriously? Or are you seriously that dense? Houses with people in them all day, especially tiny people, get dirtier. There are dishes that get dirtied, toilets that get used more often, floors are walked on more, etc. etc. It's much easier to keep a space clean when people are not in it all the time. 

All kids, even the "non-awful" ones can make a mess pretty quickly. You can certainly train them to pick up after themselves, but part of exploring the world around them involves in making a mess.

Just today my kids were lining their hot wheels into rows all over the floor to count them. It was a fun and imaginative exercise that also involved some mathematics. The living room looked like a wreck afterwards but they had fun.

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1214 on: November 23, 2014, 09:47:32 PM »
+1 My kid does elaborate pretend play that takes her through the entire house leaving it a mess.... I'd take that any day over a spotless house

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1215 on: November 23, 2014, 09:53:37 PM »

Are you asking this question seriously? Or are you seriously that dense? Houses with people in them all day, especially tiny people, get dirtier. There are dishes that get dirtied, toilets that get used more often, floors are walked on more, etc. etc. It's much easier to keep a space clean when people are not in it all the time. 

All kids, even the "non-awful" ones can make a mess pretty quickly. You can certainly train them to pick up after themselves, but part of exploring the world around them involves in making a mess.

Just today my kids were lining their hot wheels into rows all over the floor to count them. It was a fun and imaginative exercise that also involved some mathematics. The living room looked like a wreck afterwards but they had fun.

Sounds like the original poster, has no children I am guessing? Before we had kids and my DH and I both worked outside the home, the house stayed pretty clean, for long periods of time. Now add 3 small children to the mix who are home all day, it's gets messy fast! But I am also teaching them how to clean up and they help out quite a bit.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1216 on: November 24, 2014, 08:18:54 AM »

Sounds like the original poster, has no children I am guessing? Before we had kids and my DH and I both worked outside the home, the house stayed pretty clean, for long periods of time. Now add 3 small children to the mix who are home all day, it's gets messy fast! But I am also teaching them how to clean up and they help out quite a bit.

I have two kids... the house is really easy to keep clean all day... as long as the kids are at grandmas, or sleeping, or nevermind... if they are home the house looks like a tornado went through it, even if we clean constantly.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1217 on: November 24, 2014, 10:02:05 AM »

I have two kids... the house is really easy to keep clean all day... as long as the kids are at grandmas, or sleeping, or nevermind... if they are home the house looks like a tornado went through it, even if we clean constantly.

We don't have the house as clean as I like but we try to tidy up every night. It makes me feel a ton better when all of the toys are away. One of us gets her ready for bed and the other tidies up. Takes a few minutes but the peace of mind is helpful. The bad thing is that we need to sweep/mop/vauum a tad bit more than we currently do. Glad we're having people over for a delayed turkey day this weekend! Forces our hand!
I blog on items flipped for a profit on eBay:
Flipping A Dollar

I made 6.5k in profits in 2015!

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1218 on: November 24, 2014, 11:10:25 PM »

Wow,  when I was home with kids, it seemed that I was only there about three to four hours a day.  Rest spent on park, errands, to or from school, snowmen... Plus doctor appt, library, volunteer work, etc.

At home time  fully taken up with food prep, feeding kids, dressing kids, potty training or diapers, nap time, maybe a load of laundry...now lawn or shovel driveway,.  Mopping spilled juice from the floor before it sets..

Definitely no time to clean, that was Saturday job but only  if hubs took kids out for me.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1219 on: November 25, 2014, 07:02:22 AM »

Wow,  when I was home with kids, it seemed that I was only there about three to four hours a day.  Rest spent on park, errands, to or from school, snowmen... Plus doctor appt, library, volunteer work, etc.

At home time  fully taken up with food prep, feeding kids, dressing kids, potty training or diapers, nap time, maybe a load of laundry...now lawn or shovel driveway,.  Mopping spilled juice from the floor before it sets..

Definitely no time to clean, that was Saturday job but only  if hubs took kids out for me.

That or at night. It was definitely a thoughtless comment. He seems like one of those people who can't put themselves into another shoes.
Flipping A Dollar

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #1220 on: November 25, 2014, 07:43:05 AM »

That or at night. It was definitely a thoughtless comment. He seems like one of those people who can't put themselves into another shoes.

I think your sarcasm detectors are broken...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1221 on: November 25, 2014, 02:59:01 PM »
Being home with kids doesn't mean having time to clean, esp if all the kids in question are very young and you are the only adult in charge.

My best friend on this subject:

A fellow wrote a nice article in the Washington Post about his wife. The upshot was that he used to think that his wife was being lazy because the house wasn't clean. Now, he's realised that the house isn't clean because she has two small kids. Okay, so apparently the writer lives in 1985 and has just had his eyes open to the notion that small children are messy and labour-intensive, but whatever. Nice of him to try.

Remember when newspapers had news?

Anyhow, I should not have read the comments. Never, ever read the comments. I tell my mother this. I tell my friends this. But I still do it.

The comments informed me that if only I were more organised/better/harder working,  my house would look like a centrefold in Better Homes and Gardens and my children would also be deeply fulfilled.

So, let's implement that advice.

Advice: Enlist the children in picking up after themselves.

Implementation: I try to tidy up before Husband gets home so he doesn't, idk. Faint. I mistimed and left a half hour of chaos between tidying and Husband Arrival. I asked the children to please watch preschool television for an hour and please, please, do not destroy the house. So my youngest chose to strew toothpicks all over hell's half acre.

No worries! I assigned my second-born to pick up the toothpicks. And since Genome is an easy-going  love, he hopped to. When I returned ten minutes later, the toothpicks were moved  around, but not a one was back in its  container.

Genome, what happened? "I put the toothpicks  back. But Lolly wants the the toothpicks out, and she is much faster than I am.

Conclusion: Reality remains the same whether the person tidying is six or sixty. Destruction is faster than construction. One-year-olds cannot go a half hour without strewing toothpicks all over. Hide the toothpicks.

Advice: Clean with the children around! Don't leave them out. For example, one could mop up with the toddler on a chair in the being-mopped room.

Implementation: I left Lolly on a stool while I washed down the walls in the bathroom. I do not normally wash walls. Don't get the wrong idea. I'm having some pregnancy crazy here.

She took the opportunity to grab the prefold I was trying to wash with, shove it down the toilet, and flush. Then while I was extracting it, she tracked the toilet water about the house. Then when everything was cleaned up, she decided she needed to relax with a bottle.

I need a bottle too.

Too bad I'm pregnant.

Conclusion: Washing walls? What kind of stupid idea was that anyway? Just be happy prefolds can't fit down toilets.

Of course, the same toddler did this recently:

http://stealthjew.blogspot.com/2014/08/return-of-empire-of-zinc-cream-strikes.html

Why can't you confine your kids to a certain section of the house that will always be messy.  Like a play room or basement, or maybe a closet under the stairs?

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1222 on: November 25, 2014, 03:17:39 PM »
This is why it's good for children to have their own room where a certain chaos is permitted. That's at least how my parents organised it and now my sister who has a 5 year old as well.

smilla

• Stubble
« Reply #1223 on: November 25, 2014, 03:24:31 PM »

http://stealthjew.blogspot.com/2014/08/return-of-empire-of-zinc-cream-strikes.html

Why can't you confine your kids to a certain section of the house that will always be messy.  Like a play room or basement, or maybe a closet under the stairs?

My dad's technique when he was in charge of my little sister and needed to use the bathroom (why do men take so long?)* was to give her a book and make her sit outside the door with one of her hands poking under it so he could keep tabs on her. 

*that was rhetorical, I don't really want to know.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #1224 on: November 25, 2014, 05:58:04 PM »

Million dollar idea: An invisible fence system for kids to assist with confining them to a certain section of the house! No more annoying baby gates, just a collar you install on the kid(s) and a wire you place under the floor.

(This is the first million dollar idea I've had in a while, couldn't resist sharing it...)

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1225 on: November 25, 2014, 08:26:27 PM »

I think your sarcasm detectors are broken...
Grin, maybe 

I think the term "awful kids" broke it.
How can kids be awful?

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #1226 on: November 25, 2014, 08:56:12 PM »

Sounds like excuses to me,

Are you by chance a.. complainypants?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1227 on: November 25, 2014, 09:02:26 PM »
How can kids be awful?

Clearly you're not a parent

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1228 on: November 25, 2014, 09:53:11 PM »
How can kids be awful?

Clearly you're not a parent

Devious, yes

Frustrating, check.

Wailing crying  banshees that tear at your soul until you are a twitching, no sleep wreck, yep.
(Nanny would likely  bad job choice for me, LOL)

But awful just being kids?  Does not fit. 

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1229 on: November 26, 2014, 06:42:56 AM »

So clearly not sarcasm. I don't consider myself to have a flawless sarcasm meter, but it didn't sound like it to me.

Austin's response to our discussion here has prompted me to finally open a new thread about defining the term "complainypants."

Since this is a fun thread about FB, I'll just link to it here:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/how-do-you-define-a-%27complainypants%27/

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1230 on: November 26, 2014, 10:45:52 AM »

Dog crates are very effective.
/sarc

forestbound

• Stubble
« Reply #1231 on: November 26, 2014, 12:13:45 PM »
Saw this on my Facebook feed. This woman clearly took the wrong lesson from her mother's death. I can't help but feel badly for her.
Why do you stay in prison when the door is so wide open? ~Jalal ad-Did

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #1232 on: November 26, 2014, 02:00:11 PM »

/sarc

My parents were very frugal about that. Rather than buying a dog crate, they'd just empty out a laundry basket and put something heavy on top so I couldn't get out.

solon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1233 on: November 26, 2014, 02:31:59 PM »

/sarc

My parents were very frugal about that. Rather than buying a dog crate, they'd just empty out a laundry basket and put something heavy on top so I couldn't get out.

Also excellent on cats.

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #1234 on: November 26, 2014, 07:29:37 PM »

So clearly not sarcasm. I don't consider myself to have a flawless sarcasm meter, but it didn't sound like it to me.

Austin's response to our discussion here has prompted me to finally open a new thread about defining the term "complainypants."

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/how-do-you-define-a-%27complainypants%27/

This entire forum is dedicated to mocking people who make different choices with how to spend their time and money. I think it is hilarious when people post here with that intent, but get offended because someone then mocks their choices on how to spend their time and money, like for example being at home all day but still having a messy house. A lot of people here can dish it out but they can't take it.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #1235 on: November 26, 2014, 07:53:49 PM »
Saturday: "We are FINALLY getting the HELL out of Illinois. I miss my condo. Orlando here we come. Can't wait to see Mickey!!!"

Sunday: Arrived in Orlando after a long day of travel. Guess what? We left the keys to the condo at home in IL. {sad face}. I just want to thank my sister Stacie for taking the time to mail them to us. In the meantime, we're stuck here at a hotel for two nights -- 15 mins from the condo -- while we wait for the keys to arrive via Fed-Ex.

Tuesday: Making the most of this rainy day taking adorable photos of my two teenage daughters cleaning the condo {one is dusting a ceiling fan and the other wiping the floor -- exciting action shots}. At least they're earning money for the MALL!

Wednesday (today): CHECK IN @ AMC Movie Theater Downtown Disney. "Mom/Daughter time - We're FINALLY gonna see Mockingjay - Hooray!"

2 hours later: CHECK IN @ Strikesville Bowling Alley Downtown Disney -complete with Mother/Daughter selfie.

So - in sum: spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a vacation condo you visit twice per year PLUS thousands of dollars traveling there and THEN, when you arrive spend your time shopping at the Disney mall, going to the Disney movies, and bowling at the Disney  alley because it's a far more magical experience than any mall, theater or bowling alley you've got at home. amirite?

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #1236 on: November 26, 2014, 11:09:19 PM »
So - in sum: spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a vacation condo you visit twice per year PLUS thousands of dollars traveling there and THEN, when you arrive spend your time shopping at the Disney mall, going to the Disney movies, and bowling at the Disney  alley because it's a far more magical experience than any mall, theater or bowling alley you've got at home. amirite?

I just eat some glitter and the magic comes out soon enough.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #1237 on: November 27, 2014, 02:24:29 AM »

This entire forum is dedicated to mocking people who make different choices with how to spend their time and money. I think it is hilarious when people post here with that intent, but get offended because someone then mocks their choices on how to spend their time and money, like for example being at home all day but still having a messy house. A lot of people here can dish it out but they can't take it.
^THIS. And nope kids are not horrible.and people shouldn't be  judged by their messy house but it is a choice. I grew up being responsible for my messes and it didn't traumatize me, I had a wonderful childhood in fact. I fid have certain off-limit areas for toys (kitxhen, dinning room, bathroom and I anyone's bedroom that wasn't mine). I think this whole "let the kids roam atound the house jumping around and making big mess after big mess and I will just spend my day cleaning after them and not doing much of anything else"  is part of spoiling kids which is not my cup of tea. But thats a personal value. It just is that you reap what you sow so dont complain about your dirty house if that's the choice you make. I have a kid amd he plays in his room in the living room, free to make messes bit at the end of the day there is pick up time and he participates. my house is far from perfect (havent cleaned batrooms in about 2 weeks lol) but thats been my choice (and I dont blame it on the kid) and Im ok with it.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1238 on: November 27, 2014, 09:40:32 AM »
Being home with kids doesn't mean having time to clean, esp if all the kids in question are very young and you are the only adult in charge.

My best friend on this subject:

A fellow wrote a nice article in the Washington Post about his wife. The upshot was that he used to think that his wife was being lazy because the house wasn't clean. Now, he's realised that the house isn't clean because she has two small kids. Okay, so apparently the writer lives in 1985 and has just had his eyes open to the notion that small children are messy and labour-intensive, but whatever. Nice of him to try.

Remember when newspapers had news?

Anyhow, I should not have read the comments. Never, ever read the comments. I tell my mother this. I tell my friends this. But I still do it.

The comments informed me that if only I were more organised/better/harder working,  my house would look like a centrefold in Better Homes and Gardens and my children would also be deeply fulfilled.

So, let's implement that advice.

Advice: Enlist the children in picking up after themselves.

Implementation: I try to tidy up before Husband gets home so he doesn't, idk. Faint. I mistimed and left a half hour of chaos between tidying and Husband Arrival. I asked the children to please watch preschool television for an hour and please, please, do not destroy the house. So my youngest chose to strew toothpicks all over hell's half acre.

No worries! I assigned my second-born to pick up the toothpicks. And since Genome is an easy-going  love, he hopped to. When I returned ten minutes later, the toothpicks were moved  around, but not a one was back in its  container.

Genome, what happened? "I put the toothpicks  back. But Lolly wants the the toothpicks out, and she is much faster than I am.

Conclusion: Reality remains the same whether the person tidying is six or sixty. Destruction is faster than construction. One-year-olds cannot go a half hour without strewing toothpicks all over. Hide the toothpicks.

Advice: Clean with the children around! Don't leave them out. For example, one could mop up with the toddler on a chair in the being-mopped room.

Implementation: I left Lolly on a stool while I washed down the walls in the bathroom. I do not normally wash walls. Don't get the wrong idea. I'm having some pregnancy crazy here.

She took the opportunity to grab the prefold I was trying to wash with, shove it down the toilet, and flush. Then while I was extracting it, she tracked the toilet water about the house. Then when everything was cleaned up, she decided she needed to relax with a bottle.

I need a bottle too.

Too bad I'm pregnant.

Conclusion: Washing walls? What kind of stupid idea was that anyway? Just be happy prefolds can't fit down toilets.

This made me LOL.  One of my kids is little, you know, the age of destruction.

My spouse was off this week with the kids.  Every day I came home the house was a DISASTER.  Literally all the toys on the floor, dinner not even thought of much less started.  Like, nuts.  He says "my first mistake was thinking I could get stuff done.  I stripped the sheets from the bed and they jumped all over them and threw stuff all over the place."

It gets better as they age, but it's a net negative during some years.  They did go outside and play, etc.  We don't have much of a yard though, and what we do have is tiered and has stone and is on the dangerous side for the toddler.

As far as confining it to one area, I mean, our house is only 1100 sf.

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1239 on: November 27, 2014, 09:47:20 AM »

I just eat some glitter and the magic comes out soon enough.

Bahahahahaha!

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1240 on: November 29, 2014, 10:25:18 PM »
As a father of 6 kids, let me just say......bwahahahahahahahahaha!  The only ways you can effectively perform such a feat would probably get Child Protective Services called on you!

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #1241 on: November 29, 2014, 10:40:02 PM »
I follow the Non-Consumer Advocate, which has a facebook group.  This was just posted:

"Sigh. I was really digging Mister Money Mustache and was reading through the archives from the first post...until I got to the post where he says that he started making $41,000 at 22 right out of college and had zero student loan debt...and now I can't bring myself to read further. NCA is definitely more for the normal person and thank you for that (and no pretension)"

"He also claims to be retired but seems to basically flip houses, expensive houses. To each their own."

"I can't read his level of all-knowing pretension now that I know it comes from a place of such...I don't want to say privilege...maybe ease? Like I feel like his blog is now only useful to 19 year olds as an "hey don't spend like a dumbass or go to a college you can't afford" Like who are you to talk like you are so powerful and all-knowing when you've never actually had to worry about your cash flow?"

"He claims he made good decisions early on, but he had some good luck as well. A lot of financial success is luck...born in the US, not a third world country, born to educated, middle class parents instead of into poverty...much greater chance you will make it."

"Yep, he's totally privileged. Not his fault; he was just dealt a great hand and therefore can live the life he chooses (I wouldn't choose to retire at 30 anyway, myself, even if I could). I do wish these guys would acknowledge their privilege, though. I think he's got wisdom to share but isn't really able to be grounded enough to advise people who didn't get dealt such a great hand."

Anyway, the complainypants was really getting to me. Of course MMM had many gifts given to him, but to ignore the hard work and sacrifice is a way of saying "I can't do the same, he is privileged". I have noticed this group has a lot of women who are barely scraping by. But there's too much "Have you tried 'family cloths instead of toilet paper?" Instead of "How can I train for a better career?" Some principles of frugality are common in both groups, but the victim mentality is (thankfully) missing here.
Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here!!!

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1242 on: November 30, 2014, 12:49:13 AM »

I think we're missing the part where they complain about being broke, or not able to afford groceries that week, or something. Could you post that part of the story?

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1243 on: November 30, 2014, 08:36:02 AM »
I follow the Non-Consumer Advocate, which has a facebook group.  This was just posted:

"Sigh. I was really digging Mister Money Mustache and was reading through the archives from the first post...until I got to the post where he says that he started making $41,000 at 22 right out of college and had zero student loan debt...and now I can't bring myself to read further. NCA is definitely more for the normal person and thank you for that (and no pretension)"

"He also claims to be retired but seems to basically flip houses, expensive houses. To each their own."

"I can't read his level of all-knowing pretension now that I know it comes from a place of such...I don't want to say privilege...maybe ease? Like I feel like his blog is now only useful to 19 year olds as an "hey don't spend like a dumbass or go to a college you can't afford" Like who are you to talk like you are so powerful and all-knowing when you've never actually had to worry about your cash flow?"

"He claims he made good decisions early on, but he had some good luck as well. A lot of financial success is luck...born in the US, not a third world country, born to educated, middle class parents instead of into poverty...much greater chance you will make it."

"Yep, he's totally privileged. Not his fault; he was just dealt a great hand and therefore can live the life he chooses (I wouldn't choose to retire at 30 anyway, myself, even if I could). I do wish these guys would acknowledge their privilege, though. I think he's got wisdom to share but isn't really able to be grounded enough to advise people who didn't get dealt such a great hand."

Anyway, the complainypants was really getting to me. Of course MMM had many gifts given to him, but to ignore the hard work and sacrifice is a way of saying "I can't do the same, he is privileged". I have noticed this group has a lot of women who are barely scraping by. But there's too much "Have you tried 'family cloths instead of toilet paper?" Instead of "How can I train for a better career?" Some principles of frugality are common in both groups, but the victim mentality is (thankfully) missing here.

Yikes. I know plenty of people who had the same "privilege" who squandered it. This guy did the right things well and we should try to emulate those if we want to go a similar path...
Flipping A Dollar

lizzie

• Stubble
« Reply #1244 on: November 30, 2014, 11:17:48 AM »
Not really heard on facebook, but a story told by my uncle at thanksgiving:

Neighbor of his calls out of the blue recently to ask how long my uncle's toilet tanks take to refill. My uncle has no idea. So the neighbor comes over to time them for comparison purposes. Apparently the neighbor's tanks take 60 seconds, and this is unacceptably slow.

Turns out my uncle's tanks take 60 seconds, too. This does not mollify the neighbor. He goes out and buys all new toilets, at a cost of $700 each, to cut the time down to 40 seconds.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #1245 on: November 30, 2014, 12:19:53 PM »

I had never heard of non consumer advocate so intrigued I googled and landed on their site. Ummm...so first thing I see is a post for black friday telling you its the day to ditch your family and "shop till you drop"(yes, written close by to whay seems to be their motto of wear it out, use it up or do without or something of the like) then came a long list of promo codes.
I kept looking for the hidden joke but didn't find it, this was a real post. Didn't want to see anything else after that.

Joshin

• Stubble
« Reply #1246 on: November 30, 2014, 12:32:29 PM »

I had never heard of non consumer advocate so intrigued I googled and landed on their site. Ummm...so first thing I see is a post for black friday telling you its the day to ditch your family and "shop till you drop"(yes, written close by to whay seems to be their motto of wear it out, use it up or do without or something of the like) then came a long list of promo codes.
I kept looking for the hidden joke but didn't find it, this was a real post. Didn't want to see anything else after that.

Um, that post is a joke. Read the promo codes: "THEBESTSAVINGSISMONEYNOTEVENSPENT"  "USEITUPWEARITUPMAKEITDOORDOWITHOUT"

Katy's site is awesome, but different than MMM. I like both. The Facebook group is sometimes great, but other times it's filled with a bunch of complainypants (like the above FB post). There's a subset on the FB group that I get the distinct vibe are forced to be frugal, and they aren't really nonconsumer by choice so they feel a grudge against those that are -- especially those that are financially better off than them and still choosing frugal/nonconsumer options. Overall, it's a pretty DIY minded group, but more DIYing decor, gifts, food and luxuries than construction/car type DIY.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #1247 on: November 30, 2014, 02:11:56 PM »

Um, that post is a joke. Read the promo codes: "THEBESTSAVINGSISMONEYNOTEVENSPENT"  "USEITUPWEARITUPMAKEITDOORDOWITHOUT"

Katy's site is awesome, but different than MMM. I like both. The Facebook group is sometimes great, but other times it's filled with a bunch of complainypants (like the above FB post). There's a subset on the FB group that I get the distinct vibe are forced to be frugal, and they aren't really nonconsumer by choice so they feel a grudge against those that are -- especially those that are financially better off than them and still choosing frugal/nonconsumer options. Overall, it's a pretty DIY minded group, but more DIYing decor, gifts, food and luxuries than construction/car type DIY.
ahh I see lol a little confusing to a newcomer though-I'm sure I cant be the only person that doesn't look at promo codes intently. Will check out the site again

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #1248 on: November 30, 2014, 03:14:13 PM »

ahh I see lol a little confusing to a newcomer though-I'm sure I cant be the only person that doesn't look at promo codes intently. Will check out the site again

You're in large company. http://literallyunbelievable.org/

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #1249 on: November 30, 2014, 05:01:12 PM »
You're in large company. http://literallyunbelievable.org/

Ha Ha Ha Ha.  These commenters don't listen to NPR. 

Off to brainstorm ideas for commemorating the 42M Black Friday dead.
Last one to panic wins!

My Rohingya Refugee Charity (now Tax Exempt!)

I'm an enemy of POTUS, VPOTUS, and the privately funded political system that inflicted them upon us.