Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082064 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #1150 on: November 19, 2014, 01:17:57 PM »
I found another gem today!!!

"If anyone wants to start like a gofundme or get me a Christmas present... I would like a bulldog puppy, a bigger down payment for a house, a manny, and possibly Botox after the baby. That's about it for now. My job of taking care of the world pays me pennies and now I'm poor and in need of puppies and a smooth face. Thx"

Then there were like three smiley faces and a heart....I barfed a little.

Walking the fine line between seriousness and satire.  I thought manny was a male nanny, so assumed it was satire (manicures are "manis")

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1151 on: November 19, 2014, 01:27:47 PM »

"If anyone wants to start like a gofundme or get me a Christmas present... I would like a bulldog puppy, a bigger down payment for a house, a manny, and possibly Botox after the baby. That's about it for now. My job of taking care of the world pays me pennies and now I'm poor and in need of puppies and a smooth face. Thx"

Could it possibly be a joke? It reads like one to me, but you would know best.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1152 on: November 19, 2014, 01:29:23 PM »

Walking the fine line between seriousness and satire.  I thought manny was a male nanny, so assumed it was satire (manicures are "manis")

that's what I thought too!

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1153 on: November 19, 2014, 04:24:37 PM »
The lady that worked just to make the extra $100 per month after paying the day care, then got a raise and bought a new car which is likely to have been taking almost her entire raise  just announced how wonderful her new cleaning lady is  and only $20/hour.   Others have jumped onto the thread praising her  because they're at home all the time with the kids and the house being such a mess really gets to them.   Umm you're at home why can't you clean?

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1154 on: November 19, 2014, 04:55:14 PM »
Being home with kids doesn't mean having time to clean, esp if all the kids in question are very young and you are the only adult in charge.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1155 on: November 19, 2014, 05:35:51 PM »
Being home with kids doesn't mean having time to clean, esp if all the kids in question are very young and you are the only adult in charge.

+1

I do clean, but the year after having my last baby, we had a cleaner come in once a week and it was a life saver. 
Otherwise, I lived my life knee deep in chaos, perpetually playing catch-up with the latest child-induced-mess, and never actually quite getting around to things like cleaning the toilets and washing the floors.

ymmv, but ime when the kids are all small, even if you are teaching them to clean, they are net mess-makers.  I found that of the three main jobs I have at home (cleaning the house, budget cooking from scratch, homeschooling), I can usually manage to do two well in any one week.  Adding a baby to that mix means I then have 4 jobs, and still only the capacity to totally rock at two of them.

And for the anticipated response of "but house cleaning takes F all time, you must be doing it wrong", I can only say that I also used to think that, back in the days when I had no children, nobody was actually IN the house all day because we were at work, and any minor mess stayed minor, because oddly enough, no adult I know thinks it is hilariously funny to throw all their clothes down the stairs, followed by the lego and their sister's loom-bands, or pour bottle after bottle of water on the bedroom floor to make a splashing pool, or spill a whole packet of rice bubbles on dining room floor and then just walk away

Children are a bit like nightmare room-mates from hell, but instead of being able to run for the hills, it is your job to teach them to be normal, civil human beings - often against their will.

I am definitely getting a cleaner to come in once a week for the first few months after the next baby is born!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:38:22 PM by homehandymum »

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1156 on: November 19, 2014, 06:17:20 PM »
I was a stay at home dad for 3 straight years with 2 kids from 1 to 4 year olds.   I get that it's tough.  I never once though I needed a cleaner.   With more then that or an infant then maybe.    The lady in question has 2 kids in daycare 9 hours a day 5 days a week and doesn't have 2 pennies to rub together.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1157 on: November 19, 2014, 06:21:49 PM »
Ain't this some spendy shit. Housecleaners when your full-time job is taking care of the kids. It's a wonder anyone manages to do it, let alone the vast majority of the people who do the stay-at-home parent thing, amirite?

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1158 on: November 19, 2014, 06:31:05 PM »
I was a stay at home dad for 3 straight years with 2 kids from 1 to 4 year olds.   I get that it's tough.  I never once though I needed a cleaner.   With more then that or an infant then maybe.    The lady in question has 2 kids in daycare 9 hours a day 5 days a week and doesn't have 2 pennies to rub together.

In that case?  yeah, facepunch - if she is also moaning about being poor.  If, on the other hand, it's just a decision that she's making that you disapprove of then... meh.

And it is a factor of number of children.  It was the third one that pushed me over the edge.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 06:34:28 PM by homehandymum »

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1159 on: November 19, 2014, 07:46:22 PM »
Can't we all agree that the housecleaning thing is just highly variable? I am a stay at home parent to three (including an infant) and feel no desire for a house cleaner, in large part because I honestly don't think I'd get my money's worth. The house is usually so cluttered and messy that they couldn't even clean the surfaces well enough anyway. I get a panic attack just thinking about having to straighten up the entire house at once, in order to enable him or her to clean. I usually just have to content myself with one or two rooms being clean at one time.

But I can understand why others would feel differently.

Me? I'd rather spend that money on other creature comforts like booze (for when they are all in bed), chocolate, a dinner out, etc.

EngineerMum

• Stubble
  • Working towards moderate badassity
« Reply #1160 on: November 20, 2014, 09:08:45 AM »
Just had to respond to the incomprehension on the 6000sf house. On rough calculations, I'm pretty sure my IL's house is a bit over 6000 sf, just the house (basements are not the norm here). And yes, it's just the two of them that actually live there. in addition to the house, they also have a covered outdoor area with a kitchen that is fancier than normal peoples' actual kitchens, including heating and cooling - yes outside! and built in appliances. Oh and they can't fix or maintain ANYTHING by themselves, it is not exaggerating to say that there is someone being paid to do something for them everytime I go around there, because having a house that big needs SO much attention. The crazy thing is, they think it is normal., because some of their friends are even worse! And MIL is desperate to retire, but doesn't feel like they can afford it. The bit I think is really sad is that they built a semi self contained suite for MIL's parents when they can't live independently, but there are stairs everywhere so I don't see how the GPs would actually cope with it.
Just double checked the post.  It's 4200sf, plus full finished basement.  Dude says it comes out to 6000sf...I'd post a pic, but not sure about that :)

That's 2.5 times the size of my house. And, even with all my art/craft/sewing hobbies, diy projects, and the small feline horde I share the place with, my house is still too damned big.

WTF, mate?

ILoveMyBlondeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1161 on: November 20, 2014, 10:12:33 AM »
My job of taking care of the world pays me pennies and now I'm poor and in need of puppies and a smooth face.

What is their actual job?

She's an in-home caretaker I believe. But mostly it seems that her job is to post on facebook about all the things they're spending their money on and then whining that all their money is gone. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 10:15:23 AM by ILoveMyBlondeStache »

ILoveMyBlondeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1162 on: November 20, 2014, 10:14:51 AM »

Pretty sure she meant male nanny knowing her.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #1163 on: November 21, 2014, 08:28:59 AM »
Nothing crazy, but here's what I got:

"I just finished coloring my roots. This is definitely on my list of the top ten things I hate to do.This is also why I should be rich--so I could have someone else do this for me every month."

"To all my friends if you are trying to reach me for the next 4-5 days call me at xxx-xxxx. I decided to put my brand new iphone6 in the washer machine last night, so I had to file a claim with the insurance that I usually don't carry in order to get a new one that will take 4-5 days to come in."

And in response to the news that Disney World will now be selling houses, someone said this:

"Mother of God.....I'm gonna have to make a quick few mill. Like now. I want a Beauty and the Beast house. Unless Universal plans on making a Jurassic Park House. No contest really."

FireDAD

• Stubble
  • firedad.blog
    • FireDAD Blog
« Reply #1164 on: November 21, 2014, 08:45:20 AM »

"I just finished coloring my roots. This is definitely on my list of the top ten things I hate to do.This is also why I should be rich--so I could have someone else do this for me every month."

"To all my friends if you are trying to reach me for the next 4-5 days call me at xxx-xxxx. I decided to put my brand new iphone6 in the washer machine last night, so I had to file a claim with the insurance that I usually don't carry in order to get a new one that will take 4-5 days to come in."

And in response to the news that Disney World will now be selling houses, someone said this:

"Mother of God.....I'm gonna have to make a quick few mill. Like now. I want a Beauty and the Beast house. Unless Universal plans on making a Jurassic Park House. No contest really."

Let's be fair, a Jurassic Park themed house would be amazing.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1165 on: November 21, 2014, 08:56:22 AM »

Don't use the toilet...........Chomp

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1166 on: November 21, 2014, 09:39:30 AM »

They spare no expense.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1167 on: November 21, 2014, 10:36:06 AM »

They spare no expense.

Dr Hammond, the phones are working.

LibrarIan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1168 on: November 21, 2014, 10:55:42 AM »

They spare no expense.

Security runs on a UNIX system. Interactive CD-ROMs abound.

FireDAD

• Stubble
  • firedad.blog
    • FireDAD Blog
« Reply #1169 on: November 21, 2014, 11:16:16 AM »

They spare no expense.

Clever Girl

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1170 on: November 21, 2014, 12:21:15 PM »

They spare no expense.

Clever Girl

Quotes, quotes!  These people know Jurrasic Park quotes!  See?  Nobody cares.Nice Hat

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #1171 on: November 21, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
Quotes, quotes!  These people know Jurrasic Park quotes!  See?  Nobody cares.Nice Hat

I should watch that movie someday.  I did once own an SGI Indigo 2 which had, as part of the IRIX OS, the filesystem browser that they used in that movie, though.  $20 from the local University Surplus Assets in the early 2000's, before the idiots ruined it for everyone and the uni switched to a private company for surplus disposal.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1172 on: November 22, 2014, 04:44:04 PM »
Back to kids and houses and mess - the Yarn Harlot tells the story of when her three daughters had a water balloon fight in the house - and after she got mad at them and cleaned it up they did it again.  Her description is hilarious, but it must have been horrible at the time.   So maybe those who don't find it hard keeping the house tidy with kids at home just don't have very inventive kids?  And add pets to the mix - we all have stories of puppies/kittens and toilet paper trails miles long, right?

philby85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1173 on: November 23, 2014, 03:46:21 AM »
So maybe those who don't find it hard keeping the house tidy with kids at home just don't have very inventive kids? 

Or maybe they...
1) encourage their children to play outside
2) have children of above average intelligence
3) contain the mess to one room rather than spread over the whole house
4) run their house with military precision
5) teach their children the lesson when they do something wrong the first time
6) don't let pets inside the house

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1174 on: November 23, 2014, 08:02:17 AM »
Exactly!  There are so many possible reasons why one family may find it harder than another to keep things under control.  But so often the ones that can (keep things tidy, lose weight, quit smoking, etc. etc.) feel a moral superiority about it, instead of just being glad that for them it works.

So maybe those who don't find it hard keeping the house tidy with kids at home just don't have very inventive kids? 

Or maybe they...
1) encourage their children to play outside
2) have children of above average intelligence
3) contain the mess to one room rather than spread over the whole house
4) run their house with military precision
5) teach their children the lesson when they do something wrong the first time
6) don't let pets inside the house

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1175 on: November 23, 2014, 10:40:57 AM »
"Someone stole $100 bucks out of our van last night. No idea what we're going to do. We're fucked"
It came out in the comments they were going to use that money to pay for their storage. Double facepunch for being "fucked" by losing $100 and by apparently paying $100 a month to store shit. Oh and an extra one for leaving $100 in your car overnight when you live in the shaddy side of town

Wow, a trifecta! Who the heck leaves $100 in a car?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1176 on: November 23, 2014, 11:44:25 AM »
I leave $20 in the glove box, enough to buy gas and get home if my wallet gets lost or stolen. Maybe $100 is the going rate for a fill up of whatever ridiculous vehicles people drive these days?

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #1177 on: November 23, 2014, 12:20:24 PM »
They probably blew the $100 bucks on weed and just forgot they spent it...

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #1178 on: November 23, 2014, 01:28:39 PM »
If you are at home all day how is your house not spotless? Do people have huge houses? Awful kids? Very tiny brooms?

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #1179 on: November 23, 2014, 02:14:57 PM »
If you are at home all day how is your house not spotless? Do people have huge houses? Awful kids? Very tiny brooms?
or maybe they have a life outside cleaning. Clean/tidy ok but spotless? Come on.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #1180 on: November 23, 2014, 05:20:30 PM »
Read today on FB: My friends are generally not an issue, but I am on a couple of message boards.  This one...just made me shake my head:

"I am asking for everyone's help as a lot of you may know recently there was a power outage due to a lightening strike that caused major loss to several families on the block, including us.  We lost our OVEN / MICROWAVE / 2 X- BOXES / STEREO SYSTEM / ALL THREE HOME PHONES / AND THREE FLAT SCREEN TV'S !! Due to our situation we can't afford to buy what we lost. Electric company won't replace without receipts, and not even full amount!  So if you have any of the items above that you wish to donate or sell at reasonable price please help"

I can understand the micro and oven.

But the rest? I have one home phone and one TV.

This happened to my MIL.  After a huge fight with the power company, she was able to get reimbursed.  Although she was only seeking [eta: reimbursement for] a box TV I think.  Tell your friend to spend her time fighting the electric company and for any warranties and such instead.

Homeowners/renters insurance should pay for damage caused by electrical surges, less the deductible.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1181 on: November 23, 2014, 05:25:02 PM »
Read today on FB: My friends are generally not an issue, but I am on a couple of message boards.  This one...just made me shake my head:

"I am asking for everyone's help as a lot of you may know recently there was a power outage due to a lightening strike that caused major loss to several families on the block, including us.  We lost our OVEN / MICROWAVE / 2 X- BOXES / STEREO SYSTEM / ALL THREE HOME PHONES / AND THREE FLAT SCREEN TV'S !! Due to our situation we can't afford to buy what we lost. Electric company won't replace without receipts, and not even full amount!  So if you have any of the items above that you wish to donate or sell at reasonable price please help"

I can understand the micro and oven.

But the rest? I have one home phone and one TV.

This happened to my MIL.  After a huge fight with the power company, she was able to get reimbursed.  Although she was only seeking [eta: reimbursement for] a box TV I think.  Tell your friend to spend her time fighting the electric company and for any warranties and such instead.

Homeowners/renters insurance should pay for damage caused by electrical surges, less the deductible.

You'd be surprised at how many people "self-insure".

And by self-insure I mean count on there never being something they'll need to claim for, because they sure as hell can't afford to replace this stuff.

There were massive floods here a few years ago, and while there were issues with insurance companies, the vast majority of people who lost everything either weren't insured at all, or decided to leave flood cover off their policies because they wouldn't ever have to use it. The Govt changed the legislation to make flood cover a mandatory part of every insurance cover after that, but that has probably made things worse because people will opt out rather than pay the higher premiums.

philby85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1182 on: November 23, 2014, 05:32:32 PM »
Exactly!  There are so many possible reasons why one family may find it harder than another to keep things under control.  But so often the ones that can (keep things tidy, lose weight, quit smoking, etc. etc.) feel a moral superiority about it, instead of just being glad that for them it works.

Or maybe they just get sick of hearing people complain about how difficult it is when (in their opinion) there are glaringly simple changes that could be made (not always, but more often than not). Some people are just messy people and will keep a messy house regardless of if they have children or not. The difference being children are their excuse for the mess.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #1183 on: November 23, 2014, 05:49:39 PM »

And by self-insure I mean count on there never being something they'll need to claim for, because they sure as hell can't afford to replace this stuff.

Generally, in the US, flood insurance is completely optional. Earthquake is an optional endorsement to most policies. If you have financed a property with a bank, they generally require you to carry replacement cost insurance on the structure, which will also include coverage for the contents. If you're renting, insurance for liability plus your possessions is stupidly cheap, around a couple hundred bucks per year if you shop around.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1184 on: November 23, 2014, 05:53:48 PM »

If you're renting, insurance for liability plus your possessions is stupidly cheap, around a couple hundred bucks per year if you shop around.

Oh I know it's cheap. It is here as well. But I still know of more than one person who doesn't have it.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1185 on: November 23, 2014, 06:44:14 PM »

Are you asking this question seriously? Or are you seriously that dense? Houses with people in them all day, especially tiny people, get dirtier. There are dishes that get dirtied, toilets that get used more often, floors are walked on more, etc. etc. It's much easier to keep a space clean when people are not in it all the time. 

All kids, even the "non-awful" ones can make a mess pretty quickly. You can certainly train them to pick up after themselves, but part of exploring the world around them involves in making a mess.

Just today my kids were lining their hot wheels into rows all over the floor to count them. It was a fun and imaginative exercise that also involved some mathematics. The living room looked like a wreck afterwards but they had fun.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1186 on: November 23, 2014, 09:47:32 PM »
+1 My kid does elaborate pretend play that takes her through the entire house leaving it a mess.... I'd take that any day over a spotless house

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1187 on: November 23, 2014, 09:53:37 PM »

Are you asking this question seriously? Or are you seriously that dense? Houses with people in them all day, especially tiny people, get dirtier. There are dishes that get dirtied, toilets that get used more often, floors are walked on more, etc. etc. It's much easier to keep a space clean when people are not in it all the time. 

All kids, even the "non-awful" ones can make a mess pretty quickly. You can certainly train them to pick up after themselves, but part of exploring the world around them involves in making a mess.

Just today my kids were lining their hot wheels into rows all over the floor to count them. It was a fun and imaginative exercise that also involved some mathematics. The living room looked like a wreck afterwards but they had fun.

Sounds like the original poster, has no children I am guessing? Before we had kids and my DH and I both worked outside the home, the house stayed pretty clean, for long periods of time. Now add 3 small children to the mix who are home all day, it's gets messy fast! But I am also teaching them how to clean up and they help out quite a bit.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1188 on: November 24, 2014, 08:18:54 AM »

Sounds like the original poster, has no children I am guessing? Before we had kids and my DH and I both worked outside the home, the house stayed pretty clean, for long periods of time. Now add 3 small children to the mix who are home all day, it's gets messy fast! But I am also teaching them how to clean up and they help out quite a bit.

I have two kids... the house is really easy to keep clean all day... as long as the kids are at grandmas, or sleeping, or nevermind... if they are home the house looks like a tornado went through it, even if we clean constantly.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1189 on: November 24, 2014, 10:02:05 AM »

I have two kids... the house is really easy to keep clean all day... as long as the kids are at grandmas, or sleeping, or nevermind... if they are home the house looks like a tornado went through it, even if we clean constantly.

We don't have the house as clean as I like but we try to tidy up every night. It makes me feel a ton better when all of the toys are away. One of us gets her ready for bed and the other tidies up. Takes a few minutes but the peace of mind is helpful. The bad thing is that we need to sweep/mop/vauum a tad bit more than we currently do. Glad we're having people over for a delayed turkey day this weekend! Forces our hand!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1190 on: November 24, 2014, 11:10:25 PM »

Wow,  when I was home with kids, it seemed that I was only there about three to four hours a day.  Rest spent on park, errands, to or from school, snowmen... Plus doctor appt, library, volunteer work, etc.

At home time  fully taken up with food prep, feeding kids, dressing kids, potty training or diapers, nap time, maybe a load of laundry...now lawn or shovel driveway,.  Mopping spilled juice from the floor before it sets..

Definitely no time to clean, that was Saturday job but only  if hubs took kids out for me.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #1191 on: November 25, 2014, 07:02:22 AM »

Wow,  when I was home with kids, it seemed that I was only there about three to four hours a day.  Rest spent on park, errands, to or from school, snowmen... Plus doctor appt, library, volunteer work, etc.

At home time  fully taken up with food prep, feeding kids, dressing kids, potty training or diapers, nap time, maybe a load of laundry...now lawn or shovel driveway,.  Mopping spilled juice from the floor before it sets..

Definitely no time to clean, that was Saturday job but only  if hubs took kids out for me.

That or at night. It was definitely a thoughtless comment. He seems like one of those people who can't put themselves into another shoes.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #1192 on: November 25, 2014, 07:43:05 AM »

That or at night. It was definitely a thoughtless comment. He seems like one of those people who can't put themselves into another shoes.

I think your sarcasm detectors are broken...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1193 on: November 25, 2014, 02:59:01 PM »

My best friend on this subject:

A fellow wrote a nice article in the Washington Post about his wife. The upshot was that he used to think that his wife was being lazy because the house wasn't clean. Now, he's realised that the house isn't clean because she has two small kids. Okay, so apparently the writer lives in 1985 and has just had his eyes open to the notion that small children are messy and labour-intensive, but whatever. Nice of him to try.

Remember when newspapers had news?

Anyhow, I should not have read the comments. Never, ever read the comments. I tell my mother this. I tell my friends this. But I still do it.

The comments informed me that if only I were more organised/better/harder working,  my house would look like a centrefold in Better Homes and Gardens and my children would also be deeply fulfilled.

So, let's implement that advice.

Advice: Enlist the children in picking up after themselves.

Implementation: I try to tidy up before Husband gets home so he doesn't, idk. Faint. I mistimed and left a half hour of chaos between tidying and Husband Arrival. I asked the children to please watch preschool television for an hour and please, please, do not destroy the house. So my youngest chose to strew toothpicks all over hell's half acre.

No worries! I assigned my second-born to pick up the toothpicks. And since Genome is an easy-going  love, he hopped to. When I returned ten minutes later, the toothpicks were moved  around, but not a one was back in its  container.

Genome, what happened? "I put the toothpicks  back. But Lolly wants the the toothpicks out, and she is much faster than I am.

Conclusion: Reality remains the same whether the person tidying is six or sixty. Destruction is faster than construction. One-year-olds cannot go a half hour without strewing toothpicks all over. Hide the toothpicks.

Advice: Clean with the children around! Don't leave them out. For example, one could mop up with the toddler on a chair in the being-mopped room.

Implementation: I left Lolly on a stool while I washed down the walls in the bathroom. I do not normally wash walls. Don't get the wrong idea. I'm having some pregnancy crazy here.

She took the opportunity to grab the prefold I was trying to wash with, shove it down the toilet, and flush. Then while I was extracting it, she tracked the toilet water about the house. Then when everything was cleaned up, she decided she needed to relax with a bottle.

I need a bottle too.

Too bad I'm pregnant.

Conclusion: Washing walls? What kind of stupid idea was that anyway? Just be happy prefolds can't fit down toilets.

Of course, the same toddler did this recently:

http://stealthjew.blogspot.com/2014/08/return-of-empire-of-zinc-cream-strikes.html

Why can't you confine your kids to a certain section of the house that will always be messy.  Like a play room or basement, or maybe a closet under the stairs?

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1194 on: November 25, 2014, 03:17:39 PM »
This is why it's good for children to have their own room where a certain chaos is permitted. That's at least how my parents organised it and now my sister who has a 5 year old as well.

smilla

• Stubble
« Reply #1195 on: November 25, 2014, 03:24:31 PM »
Of course, the same toddler did this recently:

http://stealthjew.blogspot.com/2014/08/return-of-empire-of-zinc-cream-strikes.html

Why can't you confine your kids to a certain section of the house that will always be messy.  Like a play room or basement, or maybe a closet under the stairs?

My dad's technique when he was in charge of my little sister and needed to use the bathroom (why do men take so long?)* was to give her a book and make her sit outside the door with one of her hands poking under it so he could keep tabs on her. 

*that was rhetorical, I don't really want to know.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #1196 on: November 25, 2014, 05:58:04 PM »

Million dollar idea: An invisible fence system for kids to assist with confining them to a certain section of the house! No more annoying baby gates, just a collar you install on the kid(s) and a wire you place under the floor.

(This is the first million dollar idea I've had in a while, couldn't resist sharing it...)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1197 on: November 25, 2014, 08:26:27 PM »

I think your sarcasm detectors are broken...
Grin, maybe 

I think the term "awful kids" broke it.
How can kids be awful?

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #1198 on: November 25, 2014, 08:56:12 PM »

Sounds like excuses to me,

Are you by chance a.. complainypants?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1199 on: November 25, 2014, 09:02:26 PM »
How can kids be awful?

Clearly you're not a parent