Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13267083 times)

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #9600 on: July 30, 2015, 11:24:51 AM »
@ducky Are we talking about this tank disguised as a civil vehicle?

Because of course what looks to be a 163 tons, 35ft long monstrosity is not enough because "I have a baby now".
Genius :)

That's the one. Except in red.  ;)

wkumtrider

• Stubble
« Reply #9601 on: July 30, 2015, 11:44:59 AM »
Not overheard, but some situations of a few co-workers:  Three of them are in their late seventies (77+ yrs old) and still work because they say they can not afford to quit.  One of these cw's daughter, boyfriend, and their kids live with her and they do not work.  So here she is, 77 yrs old and working to support her lazy family. It is really sad. I don't get why she puts up with it.  Another cw who is also 77 continues to work because she says she would have nothing to do.  I can think of a million other things to do besides work.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9602 on: July 30, 2015, 11:45:55 AM »
I should of asked her how much she paid for those damn wallets, I am curious how wallets can cost you your entire paycheck.

It seems really ironic to spend all the money you have on something that does nothing but hold money.

Ha, they also hold credit cards, so there's that! . . .  ;-)

willikers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9603 on: July 30, 2015, 01:10:11 PM »
I should of asked her how much she paid for those damn wallets, I am curious how wallets can cost you your entire paycheck.

It seems really ironic to spend all the money you have on something that does nothing but hold money.

Isn't that what pockets and banks are for?

driftxsequence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9604 on: July 30, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »
A good friend of mine is a car nut. Die hard chevy guy. This is his current daily driver.

http://s149.photobucket.com/user/32turbo/media/Picture058.jpg.html

He blew up the engine in his 2009 Cobalt SS, ( that he just paid off) and is getting a new motor built out in kentucky. So to save on SHIPPING COSTS. he is driving his trail blazer out there...WITH A TRAILER.....FOR A 4 CYLINDER MOTOR. instead of in the back of his SUV. he got 14.4 MPG...

for perspective. I was able to shove 2 engines, and 2 transmissions and engine stands in the back of my Mazda 3, with 2 people up front.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 01:58:58 PM by driftxsequence »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9605 on: July 30, 2015, 02:00:09 PM »
There was a shark tank product called "The Elephant in the Room".

Apparently it was for marital happiness.  You put the elephant out when there was an issue you needed to discuss with your spouse.

But it cost a fortune.  Seems like if that sort of thing works for you, you could easily come up with a signal that costs nothing.

They did not get a deal.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9606 on: July 30, 2015, 06:47:17 PM »

Apparently it was for marital happiness.  You put the elephant out when there was an issue you needed to discuss with your spouse.

But it cost a fortune.  Seems like if that sort of thing works for you, you could easily come up with a signal that costs nothing.

They did not get a deal.

Was that irony not lost on the sharks?  The majority of marital problems are financial in nature.

"Honey, we're having serious money problems and it's tearing us apart."
"So your solution was to buy an expensive doll to start the conversation?"

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9607 on: July 30, 2015, 07:38:42 PM »
It's 11.34am and I am overhearing a co-worker SNORING at his desk.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9608 on: July 30, 2015, 08:32:43 PM »

I think the fact that the two of you had been put in a tank full of sharks would have been enough to make you pull together.
Was this a rather more bloodthirsty version of the swimming with dolphins new-age therapy stuff?

babysnowbyrd

• Stubble
    • My Journal
« Reply #9609 on: July 30, 2015, 10:19:59 PM »
Coworker today sees my small purse. Tells me she has one "just like it" in bright yellow.

Then goes on to say she has OVER 250 PURSES HANGING ON HER WALL.

Then adds "...all name brand!"

I'm imagining and entire wall full of hooks with purses hanging off of them. And name brand purses are pricey!

My purse that's "just like" hers? Not name brand, got at Ross for like, $14 MAX.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9610 on: July 31, 2015, 06:16:11 AM »

A new installment in the elephant war...

After the above circulation, a staff member brought in a second elephant, and set it up smoking and playing cards while the first one got a tag put above it on the bulletin board that read "I'm in Time Out." or something like that. Naturally the second elephant is now more loved than the first.

Today a new email came around about the mental health elephant:

The Elephant has been welcomed!

We have had a lot of fun with our little Elephant.

He has been held by many, travelled around the bulletin board, spent some time with friends at their card table and I’m sure with him being Soooo irresistible, he has been cuddled by a few admirers.

I am happy to say, he has done a good job at raising our awareness to the stigma of mental illness. Our little fellow not only befriended another little blue elephant, but they have become inseparable playmates. How wonderful is that!!!!!!

Well, guess what!  He wants to stay with his new found family at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Unfortunately we don’t know what to call him. Let’s show him he’s welcome by giving him a name suitable to his caring personality.

Names I've heard for the mental health elephant haven't been so very endearing. I can't wait for the next email to come around. I'm guessing it will be another 'Thou shalt not...' sort of message.

All this elephant stuff is hard on your mental well being.

<ETA> By the way there are no children in the building - this is the engineering department of a municipality. I just thought I should point that out in case the stuffed animals make things unclear. </Edit>

I love this story. Pls keep it coming. Overofficious yet infantile  emails like that crack me up. Our widdle elephant wantza name!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9611 on: July 31, 2015, 06:53:30 AM »

They did not get a deal.

Was that irony not lost on the sharks?  The majority of marital problems are financial in nature.

"Honey, we're having serious money problems and it's tearing us apart."
"So your solution was to buy an expensive doll to start the conversation?"

No, I'm pretty sure the sharks tore them apart about all aspects of the product, including price.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9612 on: July 31, 2015, 07:31:51 AM »
Wait, Joe Average, you were really told that a Prius can tow or this was a joke? When I moved a few years back I tried to get a hitch on my Prius and Toyota was like "oh hell no"... Maybe it just couldn't tow enough weight to be worth it? But I was planning to tow something smaller than a camper!

I just checked and there is a trailer hitch for a Prius via aftermarket suppliers - 2010  anyhow. Rated for 2000 lbs! That is by the way double of what my owner's manual says about my CR-V... ;)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9613 on: July 31, 2015, 07:43:21 AM »
I think from now on, I will refer to groups of people as "males" instead. Just to really piss off anyone who gets annoyed by gendered pronouns. "Hey you males, how's it going?"
I was the boss of an all male crew and wonder how they would feel if I called them all ladies - "Alright ladies, this is what we are doing today". Yeah, that's what I should have done. Not insulting at all to them.

OK really not picking a fight but just wanted to post to follow this thread as I finally got around to reading some of it. Took me a couple of years though :-)!

Hey I had a couple Navy Chief’s that addressed us guys as "ladies" when he was frustrated...

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9614 on: July 31, 2015, 07:51:05 AM »
Good info. Really I don't need/plan to tow with my Prius, it only came up once a couple years ago when my bf and I were moving from state to state. We both have small cars, me a Prius and him Corolla. Mtm, they also said the Corolla could not tow but perhaps this is because neither car could tow anything close to what we needed, I assume a full u-haul trailer would be more than 1000 lbs....

We had to rent a truck but we ended up needing the space anyway!

The trailer alone would be more than 1000 lbs... I'd guess a trailer loaded with household goods i.e. not home workshop stuff but furniture and kitchen items would be closer to 4000 lbs for a double axle rental trailer. I could do it with my four cylinder CR-V if I restricted my speeds to 25 mph and 3rd gear... ;)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9615 on: July 31, 2015, 07:53:08 AM »
I tried trust me.
I even did the rough math for him, like "do you realize that $100 of your gross are $70 in your pocket at most, but would be $200 in the 401k? You'd give up 70$ per paycheck and get 200$ in exchange, it's a magic tool that triples your money"
Didn't work.

Heard this on NPR this morn. Good food for thought. No spoilers from me.

http://www.npr.org/2015/07/31/427990401/why-peer-pressure-doesn-t-add-up-to-retirement-savings

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9616 on: July 31, 2015, 08:22:19 AM »
Good info. Really I don't need/plan to tow with my Prius, it only came up once a couple years ago when my bf and I were moving from state to state. We both have small cars, me a Prius and him Corolla. Mtm, they also said the Corolla could not tow but perhaps this is because neither car could tow anything close to what we needed, I assume a full u-haul trailer would be more than 1000 lbs....

We had to rent a truck but we ended up needing the space anyway!

The trailer alone would be more than 1000 lbs... I'd guess a trailer loaded with household goods i.e. not home workshop stuff but furniture and kitchen items would be closer to 4000 lbs for a double axle rental trailer. I could do it with my four cylinder CR-V if I restricted my speeds to 25 mph and 3rd gear... ;)

An enclosed 5x10 (their second biggest of the 4 encolsed trailers) is 1250lbs dry. But you could easily get a smaller one or an open trailer.  Not that I'd do that if I were moving though, probably just if I bought something bulky.

Wait, Joe Average, you were really told that a Prius can tow or this was a joke? When I moved a few years back I tried to get a hitch on my Prius and Toyota was like "oh hell no"... Maybe it just couldn't tow enough weight to be worth it? But I was planning to tow something smaller than a camper!

I just checked and there is a trailer hitch for a Prius via aftermarket suppliers - 2010  anyhow. Rated for 2000 lbs! That is by the way double of what my owner's manual says about my CR-V... ;)

(Keep in mind I'm the guy who says tow with anything that isn't a Lotus, just be smart about it)

The HITCH is rated for 2000lbs. That is not the tow rating for the car. My friend has a Civic with a 5000lb rated tow hitch. His civic absolutely cannot tow that much, but if it could, the hitch could take it.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9617 on: July 31, 2015, 08:28:16 AM »
A co-worker told me he was going to trade in his (2008-9) Chrysler 300 after work and get a 2013 Chrysler 300 because the air conditioning fan had broken and, "you know, it's out of warranty and once one thing goes..." I asked if it wouldn't be cheaper to just replace the fan and keep driving the old one and he said he didn't have the money to get it fixed. That made me kind of sad, but ok...

Next morning: He's got a 2015 Chrysler 200... because that's all they could qualify for. I died a little.

Buy the old car and then proceed to drive it another 20 years... That might make them think. Then again maybe it doesn't matter.

Pooplips

• Bristles
« Reply #9618 on: July 31, 2015, 08:28:38 AM »
Page 200 here we come.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9619 on: July 31, 2015, 08:31:50 AM »

Well, guess what!  He wants to stay with his new found family at XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Unfortunately we don’t know what to call him. Let’s show him he’s welcome by giving him a name suitable to his caring personality.[/glow]

Names I've heard for the mental health elephant haven't been so very endearing. I can't wait for the next email to come around. I'm guessing it will be another 'Thou shalt not...' sort of message.

All this elephant stuff is hard on your mental well being.

I think you work at a paper company somewhere....

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9620 on: July 31, 2015, 08:38:49 AM »
The HITCH is rated for 2000lbs. That is not the tow rating for the car. My friend has a Civic with a 5000lb rated tow hitch. His civic absolutely cannot tow that much, but if it could, the hitch could take it.

Good point on the hitch.

I have the same mentality. If you have enough brakes to stop it then tow it - to a point. I have towed 3500 lbs with our little 'V. Brakes are the huge issue. On that trip my speed was about 25 mph. Mostly I tow 600-800 lbs. Trailer and trash cans, trailer and table saw, trailer and a few things from the hardware store. I think the Prius would be capable of that at least.

http://priuschat.com/threads/prius-towing-capacity.39695/

In the spirit of this thread - the ability to tow modest loads with a car, roof racks, and hatchbacks with huge interior volumes - all conspire to make pickups seem silly for most people. While I see pickups working hard occasionally - there is a large number that ride around with empty beds or carrying less than my "toy trailer" carries. Besides the average new truck is so big they are a hassle to park or load/unloaded (high bed).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 08:41:50 AM by Joe Average »

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9621 on: July 31, 2015, 08:51:16 AM »
I am on a three person team. Today, the other people were talking about how increased life expectancy isn't that great because you can never save enough money and who wants a 20-25 year "vacation at the end" anyway?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9622 on: July 31, 2015, 09:22:43 AM »
I tried trust me.
I even did the rough math for him, like "do you realize that $100 of your gross are $70 in your pocket at most, but would be $200 in the 401k? You'd give up 70$ per paycheck and get 200$ in exchange, it's a magic tool that triples your money"
Didn't work.

http://www.npr.org/2015/07/31/427990401/why-peer-pressure-doesn-t-add-up-to-retirement-savings

WOW. Was not expecting that; it seems totally counter-intuitive.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #9623 on: July 31, 2015, 09:56:49 AM »
I'm a driver of antiques. Am restoring (painfully slowly so I can do it all out of pocket, last thing on our budget) a late 70s VW Westfalia. Will be new paint top and bottom, inside and out. And we'll drive the wheels off of it. When its tattered and worn out looking again - I'll clean it up again - and drive it some more. None of this only warm, sunny day driving for us. Want to use it. Figure it'll be clean and neat for a decade at least with little effort.
Amen to that! I love older, unusual cars- and will always choose to drive them when I can instead of just having them sit in the garage. My FIL is a big Corvette guy, and has a very recent model and a very classic one (split window Stingray?) which essentially never leaves the garage. He's also got an old roadster that probably hasn't left its special spot in the back of the garage since my wife was a teenager. Makes absolutely no sense to me... if all you want to do is look at it, why not just buy an empty shell or a full-size replica? Let someone who will actually drive it have the real car...

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9624 on: July 31, 2015, 11:46:14 AM »
I tried trust me.
Didn't work.

This should be a whole MMM post. Holy cow. So, they think that the reason people did NOT respond to peer pressure to sign up for retirement savings is they assume they are too far behind thier peers, like they think, "what's the point now? Too late for me." 
IDK, I think people are so intimidated by investments and money issues that they assume they can't manage such a complicated thing. In any case, this relates to another thread saying that many billions of dollars in company matching finds are left on the table because a person doesn't save enough to maximize the match.

fb132

« Reply #9625 on: July 31, 2015, 12:19:33 PM »
I tried trust me.
Didn't work.

This should be a whole MMM post. Holy cow. So, they think that the reason people did NOT respond to peer pressure to sign up for retirement savings is they assume they are too far behind thier peers, like they think, "what's the point now? Too late for me." 
IDK, I think people are so intimidated by investments and money issues that they assume they can't manage such a complicated thing. In any case, this relates to another thread saying that many billions of dollars in company matching finds are left on the table because a person doesn't save enough to maximize the match.
I think its more that people don't know what options they have. They have this notion and fear that the stock market is a place where you lose money and that having a high interest account that pays 1% is a good thing. I know many who are absolutely clueless on where they can invest their money. There's a huge lack of education when it comes to finances in our society.

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #9626 on: July 31, 2015, 02:00:12 PM »
Was sitting in a meeting this morning working out that I can retire in 3years on $24K pa.
I was so bored that I was doing the multiplication long hand while pretending to take notes.

I started to do that instead of working out how much staff wages were being wasted on yet another pointless meeting with all 5 directors present.
One of the few things I miss now I'm FIRE :)

I used to work for small-ish company that would have weekly meetings of everybody. I used to calculate the burn rate in dollars per minute (usually low three digits) so that I could tell how much it cost for the sales bro to regale us with tales of buying dinners for prospective clients.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9627 on: August 01, 2015, 07:43:49 AM »
Mine is nowhere near as bad as others (I don't really listen to other conversations). Earlier this week our work had its onsite Biometric Screening. They do it once a year for the employees who participate in the company medical plan and as an incentive those who complete the onsite biometric screening receive a $100 bonus (less taxes) in the next pay. The whole process takes 15 mins (height weight, blood pressure, pricking finger for blood to read cholesterol and other measurements). Something nice the company does to promote a healthy lifestyle. So I ask a few people if they were participating and they all said no basically saying things like "I do not have time" or "I do not feel like it". I don't know about you but for 15 minutes of my time to earn an extra $100 (less taxes) seems like a pretty good deal to me.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #9628 on: August 01, 2015, 09:07:26 AM »
Mine is nowhere near as bad as others (I don't really listen to other conversations). Earlier this week our work had its onsite Biometric Screening. They do it once a year for the employees who participate in the company medical plan and as an incentive those who complete the onsite biometric screening receive a $100 bonus (less taxes) in the next pay. The whole process takes 15 mins (height weight, blood pressure, pricking finger for blood to read cholesterol and other measurements). Something nice the company does to promote a healthy lifestyle. So I ask a few people if they were participating and they all said no basically saying things like "I do not have time" or "I do not feel like it". I don't know about you but for 15 minutes of my time to earn an extra $100 (less taxes) seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Similar thing at my work.  There were a couple online health questionnaires and plans (plan on walking 20 minutes 3x this week! sort of things).  But filling them out (on company time!) you got 2 $25 or $50 (maybe one of each, don't remember) gift cards.  I just on that.  In my location of 8 people, the only other person to do it was an intern.  We high-fived over free money.   

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9629 on: August 01, 2015, 09:13:39 AM »
It sounds like they were uncomfortable telling you their real reasons, which in my case would be "my cholesterol is not my employer's business", or "I don't trust how the information will be kept safe or how it will really be used".

I've never seen a company just run out and offer "free" money - recipients are giving something up for it, in this case it is their personal health information.  Some people would consider that payment really low for the exchange.

patrickza

• Pencil Stache
    • I live on a boat
« Reply #9630 on: August 01, 2015, 10:00:12 AM »
I have the best co-worker for stories like these, I'll have to pick just a few...

I work in an organisation where salaries are set by level and years, so this co-worker is on my level (we earn very decent salaries for our city) and is always running out of money, even complaining when he pre-pays visas of $50 and has to wait a week for reimbursement. He drives a nice audi a4 which I know is financed, but after a new audi dealership opens up, we go check out the new R8 on display. While there a sleazy salesman tries to sell him an A5. I tolerate the salesman because I'm sure my in debt co-worker isn't dumb enough to fall for the "almost exactly the same payment as your A4" schpeel.

A few days later he tells me he loves that car. After I try talk him out of it, but then he says he actually bought it that morning.

Now here's where it gets interesting. I do a blog post on this purchase (http://investorchallenge.co.za/your-car-doesnt-cost-you-r5800-pm-it-costs-you-a-million-dollars-you-fool/ if you want the whole story). It gets a great response, but due to all the shares, the said coworker also finds it. He's not happy with me, and we barely speak for another year.

Fast forward a year later, and we're friends again, but what do I see in the basement but a brand new audi S3. Guess who it belongs to. A few days later, he says he notices my electric bike parked in the basement and says he wishes he had one so he could save on fuel!!!

Then a week later, he says they've decided to buy a new property, just outside the city (a 35 mile commute), and they're going to build their dream house there. Begins telling me how he'll be able to control the lights from his ipad etc, and they've already bought kayaks for the whole family as it has a lake on it.

If that wasn't bad enough, he has a private pilots licence, so when they go to see the property he drives 15 miles the other way, rents an aircraft and flies to the site (in an estate with an airstrip) for a couple of hours then flies back.

I've given up giving him financial advice...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:08:50 AM by patrickza »

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9631 on: August 02, 2015, 07:17:41 AM »
It sounds like they were uncomfortable telling you their real reasons, which in my case would be "my cholesterol is not my employer's business", or "I don't trust how the information will be kept safe or how it will really be used".

I've never seen a company just run out and offer "free" money - recipients are giving something up for it, in this case it is their personal health information.  Some people would consider that payment really low for the exchange.
The results are confidential, my employer does not see any of them. And yes before you ask I do believe that.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9632 on: August 02, 2015, 07:38:44 AM »

The results are confidential, my employer does not see any of them. And yes before you ask I do believe that.
Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything about your choices or beliefs.  I was just commenting that your sample's answers seemed evasive, and I listed objections  that some of my coworkers have told me.

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #9633 on: August 02, 2015, 07:54:40 AM »
I tried trust me.
Didn't work.

Non-mustachians don't get non-card, non-Vegas magic. They don't trust magic that increases money in the wallet. But they are happy to fall for consumer magic that makes one buy shit they don't need.

…"in the wallet."  That's the problem.  For them, it's not going in the wallet; it's going into some account that they won't have access to for a long, long time.  Since it's not readily accessible, it's not worth it to them.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9634 on: August 02, 2015, 08:03:31 AM »
I tried trust me.
Didn't work.

I think its more that people don't know what options they have. They have this notion and fear that the stock market is a place where you lose money and that having a high interest account that pays 1% is a good thing. I know many who are absolutely clueless on where they can invest their money. There's a huge lack of education when it comes to finances in our society.

We agree, that's what I meant by "intimidated." We fear what we don't understand.

yrhyrh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9635 on: August 02, 2015, 12:24:20 PM »
I'm surrounded by anti-mustachian people, especially at work! I don't even know where to start. (I also have a friend outside of work who is awful at handling her personal finances..but I'll save that for another time.)

In my particular office at work, we make low salaries. We also live in NYC, so expenses are rather high. One of my co-workers is 29, turning 30 at the end of the year, and lives with her mom. There's nothing wrong with living with your parents, especially when you're super close, but one of the reasons she lives with her mom is that there is NO WAY she will ever have the money to move out. She buys breakfast and lunch out every day, and buys dinner out most nights. She refuses to cook because she hates cooking and will make tons of excuses for why she can't be bothered to cook. She has very little savings and actually dips into her savings so that she can pay for the expenses that come with being a bridesmaid. She has a huge makeup collection and buys more all the time, despite barely wearing any actual makeup to work. Most of her sentences about her day begin with, "So yesterday I bought [unnecessary item] with money that I don't have" or "I bought [unnecessary item], even though I can't afford it and shouldn't be spending any more money." So great, she's aware that she's broke. But she doesn't want to do anything about it.

A few weekends ago, she came in on Monday and complained about how she spent sooo much money on an expensive meal with her friends (includes a salad that cost over $20). Then lunchtime comes around and she says, "I'm going to go and get that expensive shrimp salad because I need to treat myself to something." And I just want to say, "Um...you treat yourself to something every day. That's the problem." She spends a lot of time at work surfing for new things to buy, more Nike shoes to add to her collection, more bathing suits because having more than 5 pairs already is just. not. enough. She asked me the other day if it's silly to buy a bathing suit that is too big for her and then get it taken in, because it is "only $8." I can't even. I have heard her say many times, "I have only $30 in my checking account so I need to use my credit card" or order an extra appetizer from the chinese take-out because they don't deliver for orders under $10.

She's also been out of undergrad for many years and is not even close to paying off her student loans. I finally paid off my student loans a month ago and the general response from my co-workers is, "Oh, that's so great, but there's no way I can do that."

Anyway, I just had to get this off my chest. Every day I come into work and hear more tales of how my co-workers throw their money away and then complain over and over about how they're sooo broke and life is so expensive. If only I can just press a mute button.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 12:26:02 PM by yrhyrh »

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9636 on: August 02, 2015, 02:39:30 PM »
Have you told her to go to professional help for addicts?

Because that sounds a lot like shopping addiction.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #9637 on: August 02, 2015, 07:57:06 PM »
Fun with National Guard drill!!!

This happened yesterday.

CW1: Did you hear so-and-so got a new truck?
CW2: Yeah, he went to the dealer to trade in his old one.
CW1: They were sitting there signing the paperwork and his wife looked out the window and said "I like that one..."
CW2: He had to buy that one too.
CW1: He's down eating at the chow hall cause he can't afford to buy lunch.

When people at this place actually admit to not having the funds to eat out, they're genuinely broke as fuck. Unbelievable.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 07:58:50 PM by zephyr911 »

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9638 on: August 02, 2015, 08:17:36 PM »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9639 on: August 03, 2015, 04:34:01 AM »
At 200 pages, this thread has more replies than nearly every board has topics. Epic.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9640 on: August 03, 2015, 06:21:52 AM »
At 200 pages, this thread has more replies than nearly every board has topics. Epic.

It appears there is no shortage of whiny, broke but spend-anyway coworkers.  Makes me glad I am out of the workforce.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #9641 on: August 03, 2015, 06:38:49 AM »

My old job did something like this, and it isn't controlled by the company, it's the insurance that cares/runs/pays.  Basically you fill in the info and they can help you fix any problems (or point you to someone that can help) while it is a lot cheaper than going to the ER with a hospital stay.  So they would rather spend $100 to know you are healthy then save that and spend $10k when you go to the hospital for a week.  Basically it is trying to get the employee/healthcare user to focus on prevent care and stay healthy.  And even with only a 20-25% buy-in from employees, the insurance company can save tons of money.

I used to get $50/yr for filling out a 10 min questionnaire, $150/yr for going to the doctor and $50/yr for meeting some random goal (which is just a check box that says you do it).  So they gave me $250/yr just to fill out less than 15minutes of forms and see the doctor (which is also completely free).

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #9642 on: August 03, 2015, 07:06:33 AM »

This happened yesterday.

CW1: They were sitting there signing the paperwork and his wife looked out the window and said "I like that one..."

When people at this place actually admit to not having the funds to eat out, they're genuinely broke as fuck. Unbelievable.

I've read a lot of fucked up shit on this thread, but that is the most twisted, unreal thing I've ever read.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9643 on: August 03, 2015, 07:10:26 AM »
The company I worked for last, in addition to paying the $80 if you completed the health assessment also sent you to counseling based on your 'needs'.  You also had to do it if you wanted reimbursement for a gym membership, which was the main reason I did it.

If your BMI was overweight, you got 10 free personal training sessions at the gym.  That's a fabulous value!
If you were stressed, you could get fees paid for a "mindfulness seminar" that had a retail cost of about $800. I never did that one.

They obviously offered other stuff too; smoking cessation, nutritional counseling, etc.

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9644 on: August 03, 2015, 07:15:28 AM »

We get a discount for our healthcare premium by completing the biometric screening and being within the guidelines. It's $1000 over the year, and I put it all into an HSA.

Overall I hate it, but I do get to go to my own PCP and submit the numbers directly to the insurance company. I honestly wouldn't get an annual check-up without being forced to get one. And I probably should go yearly with family history and all. 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #9645 on: August 03, 2015, 08:20:10 AM »
I've read a lot of fucked up shit on this thread, but that is the most twisted, unreal thing I've ever read.
Yeah, the incidence of "if you're gonna buy something we can't afford, then so am I" attitudes around here is amazingly high.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9646 on: August 03, 2015, 09:48:31 AM »

This happened yesterday.

OMFG

realityinabox

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9647 on: August 03, 2015, 10:18:31 AM »
The power lines into my company's building have a lot of issues; we've lost power a few times in the short time I've worked here.  The power company won't replace the entire run from the transformer into the building, so we have to deal with them replacing small chunks every time the lane goes out.  They're under ground cables, not entirely sure what the issue is there...

Anyways, this time the phase that runs the A/C unit went down.  It is maybe 80F in here, tops.  Today I'm finding out who lives a pampered air-conditioned lifestyle.  People are leaving to work from home to "escape the heat", even after the company rolled in oscillating fans and a free-standing A/C.

aristotle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9648 on: August 03, 2015, 10:41:03 AM »
Boss: It's so difficult saving for retirement and I'll have to work until I'm atleast 65 even 70 to realistically have a chance.. Then starts bashing cops and teachers because they have nice pensions and get paid alot of money to do nothing apparently. This guy is a dink which makes it even worst. I don't know his salary but he's making $70k atleast..

He always comes in with dunkin donuts coffee each morning, buys lunch(every day) and orders takeouts everynight because he says since it's only him and his wife he doesn't want to throw out extras.. He also seems to go to expensive restuarants in NYC every weekend or so and brags about the experience.

Don't get how a DINK who's probably in his 50's isn't ready to retire. SMH @ DINKS

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #9649 on: August 03, 2015, 10:48:42 AM »
Boss: It's so difficult saving for retirement and I'll have to work until I'm atleast 65 even 70 to realistically have a chance.. Then starts bashing cops and teachers because they have nice pensions and get paid alot of money to do nothing apparently. This guy is a dink which makes it even worst. I don't know his salary but he's making $70k atleast..

He always comes in with dunkin donuts coffee each morning, buys lunch(every day) and orders takeouts everynight because he says since it's only him and his wife he doesn't want to throw out extras.. He also seems to go to expensive restuarants in NYC every weekend or so and brags about the experience.

Don't get how a DINK who's probably in his 50's isn't ready to retire. SMH @ DINKS

Yea okay, lets extrapolate from this one DINK that all DINKs are like this.