Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252922 times)

Fuzzy Buttons

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #8650 on: June 15, 2015, 01:59:36 PM »
I can't say for sure I've read the whole thread, because I don't always know where I've left off and may have missed bits and pieces. But, in general, I've read the thread, foamy parts and all.

That is what the orange "new" button is for :)

The orange "New" is a button?!

I've been going by memory this whole time!  /slapsforehead

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8651 on: June 15, 2015, 02:21:49 PM »

It's commonly called a Black Button in news reports.

stevedoug

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Photon Chasing
« Reply #8652 on: June 15, 2015, 02:22:35 PM »
I was talking to one of my cube-mates about upcoming summer plans, and how busy the summer is.  I've got a weekend in NYC this month, a a week in Germany in July, and 2 full weeks in Hawaii in September.  He literally said, "What are you, a millionaire?"  I started to explain about gaming credit cards for airline miles, and VRBO, and the ridiculously good deal I got by patiently Pricelining a car in Honolulu.  And I very pointedly did not explain that after the husband and I save/invest 50% of our take home we budget our vacations separately (because that's not anyone's business).  But people really assume that you can't do both. 

are you me?
I get the same stuff at work (I'm 32, in engineering). I took 2.5 weeks around Christmas to go to Hawaii, and got so much "How can you afford that! you are so lucky!"
I'm like, I live in a small condo in a sub-par area and drive old cars. Your F150 alone is worth about 10x my Hawaii vacation

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8653 on: June 15, 2015, 02:27:30 PM »
I can't say for sure I've read the whole thread, because I don't always know where I've left off and may have missed bits and pieces. But, in general, I've read the thread, foamy parts and all.

Ditto. Thank you, dorothyc!

Fuzzy Buttons

• Stubble
« Reply #8654 on: June 15, 2015, 02:34:20 PM »

You are not the only one. Thanks dorothyc!

I just used it to read your post!

It's a crazy new world out there, folks.  :D

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #8655 on: June 15, 2015, 03:29:22 PM »

Wow, it's like magic!

i hate to join in the foam, but, uh, me too.  Life is so much easier when you know how to do stuff like this... and now I do. 

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8656 on: June 15, 2015, 04:05:29 PM »

Wow, it's like magic!

i hate to join in the foam, but, uh, me too.  Life is so much easier when you know how to do stuff like this... and now I do. 
Just a warning:  it doesn't always work exactly right.  On most threads the button does as intended, but on this one specifically it takes me to a few posts later than the oldest unread post.  (Since sometimes I may forget to scroll up, I can't definitively say I've read every post in this thread, but I'm at least close!)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8657 on: June 15, 2015, 04:16:28 PM »

Wow, it's like magic!

Just a warning:  it doesn't always work exactly right.  On most threads the button does as intended, but on this one specifically it takes me to a few posts later than the oldest unread post.  (Since sometimes I may forget to scroll up, I can't definitively say I've read every post in this thread, but I'm at least close!)

Also if someone edits a post, it sometimes shows up as "new"again. But still it's a fine tool.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8658 on: June 15, 2015, 04:45:46 PM »

Incidentally, the orange "new" button is actually called a "black button".

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8659 on: June 15, 2015, 04:53:48 PM »

Aww someone else beat me to it!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8660 on: June 15, 2015, 04:59:11 PM »

. . . more of an orange box than a button.

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #8661 on: June 15, 2015, 05:09:45 PM »

Wow, it's like magic!

Also if someone edits a post, it sometimes shows up as "new"again. But still it's a fine tool.

I didn't know either for the longest time. I think it was Rebel Spy who I first heard it from.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8662 on: June 16, 2015, 01:47:19 PM »
A coworker just spent $2400 on food and souvenirs for 4 people at Disney World last week.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #8663 on: June 16, 2015, 02:44:37 PM »
CW with probably $70K in consumer debt frequently mentions wanting to pare that down. He's collecting his order of two $8 sushi rolls in the next cube...
Sushi is comparativily expensive, but for 16$ you could make enough sushi yourself to be stuffed two times and still have a few pieces to share.

I agree, every once in a while me and a few friends will get some good quality fish and make sushi together. It really doesn't cost all that much, around $10 per person, and maybe more if we have wine or anything else, and it is a lot of fun to do.
I love sushi, and I like making sushi and sushi-like stuff for parties. I can whip up a damn good batch of inari, musubi, or dolmades for like $5 though.
If I were in a no-shit-hair-on-f*($!ng-fire debt situation like CW, the last thing I'd have for lunch is sushi.
Especially after saying it's time to get out of debt and I want to eat $1 soup and maybe some salad every day.
$16 a workday = over $4K per year!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8664 on: June 16, 2015, 02:47:59 PM »
CWr makes about $120,000/year in a not so bad COL area.  No kids, modest house, old Toyota, just not very spendy.  30 years and fully vested in great pension.  62 years old.

Whined and complained in front of the bosses about being underpaid, at a time when they were considering promotions for CWr (and me).

Bosses changed their collective minds and went a different path.  No raises, no promotions.

CWr upset.

Me fine since FIRE is in October at 54 years old (if all goes according to plan)

Hmm. Maybe he is FI but just thinks his time is worth more? I'm surprised that he's not spendy but acted this way. Maybe he has sick or otherwise dependent family members?

Yes, there must be more to the story than meets the eye.  The only other explanation is that CW is simply greedy.  One of our bosses took me aside a few weeks later to tell me how pissed off that made him when CW did that.

Another possiblity is that CW has another set of major expenses that aren't obvious. An addiction or a gambling habit, for example, can eat through "disposable" income quickly.

Well, and also, if my pay were, say, disproportionately lower than what I'm worth on the market or how much value I bring to the company (e.g., if I were already doing extra/higher level work but it wasn't being officially acknowledged through a promotion), I'd be pissed about that regardless of how much money I actually needed. Although I infer from details of the story that that's not how it came off, that it was more linked to desperation. I just pipe up because I dislike the attitude which employers rely on sometimes that anyone asking for more money must be greedy.

LoveStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8665 on: June 16, 2015, 03:18:30 PM »
My old coworkers were constantly befuddling me (and this was before I discovered MMM!) Here are some of the better ones...

CW: Hey, will you do me a favor?
Me: Sure, what do you need?
CW: Well, I want to surprise my husband with a hunting trip for our anniversary but we don't have the money for it right now. Can you type up a letter and pretend to be my landlord, stating that I am $4000 behind on my rent? If I send in a letter like that, I can withdraw from my 401k without penalty.
Me:....*brain exploding* Um, sure I guess.

THE HUNTING TRIP IS COSTING CLOSE TO $4000. Actually, it's closer to $3000, but she's going to go shopping for some new clothes. Granted, she just lost over 100 pounds from gastric bypass, but she's already gotten a ton of clothes from friends and only has to wear scrubs to work.

I feel kind of bad for her because she just simply doesn't understand what she's doing to herself. She gets her nails done every 2 weeks, gets waxes, goes out to dinners with her husband where she can't even eat very much (she just recently she got a medical card stating she's had gastric bypass so she can order off the kids menu or get senior citizen prices on buffets, thank God), spends hundreds on each grandchild for Christmas (she has 3), and she really doesn't make very much money. One day I was discussing how poorly teachers are paid in my home state (South Dakota) and how they are lucky if they make more than 30k....She said "Well I don't even make that much." Oooops, foot in mouth! Thankfully I was able to save myself by adding that they frequently (as in always) have to buy their own classroom supplies and work very long hours....That made her feel better.

Another coworker has filed for bankruptcy, has 2 vehicles AND a motorcycle, spends upwards of $100 per month at Victoria's Secret (she must wear matching bra and panties EVERY DAY), pays $200 per month for Comcast, owns season tickets to the local NFL team, is taking out loans for school (she already has $30,000 and is only 1/3 done with her online business degree), and has numerous other store credit cards that she pays the minimum payment on. Oh did I mention that she lives at home with her mom so she doesn't have to pay much in rent? She also has no children. Every time we are going to meet up for a drink, it has to be right after payday so she can spend her money...D'oh!!!!!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #8666 on: June 16, 2015, 04:05:23 PM »
CW: Well, I want to surprise my husband with a hunting trip for our anniversary but we don't have the money for it right now. Can you type up a letter and pretend to be my landlord, stating that I am $4000 behind on my rent? If I send in a letter like that, I can withdraw from my 401k without penalty.
The correct answer here is "no, I am not going to commit fraud for you".  Or "no, I don't want to enable your bad decision".  Basically anything that starts with the "No" works.

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
« Reply #8667 on: June 16, 2015, 04:10:22 PM »
The correct answer here is "no, I am not going to commit fraud for you".  Or "no, I don't want to enable your bad decision".  Basically anything that starts with the "No" works.

+1!  And if she's going to commit fraud anyway, why can't she forge it herself?!?

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #8668 on: June 16, 2015, 06:44:59 PM »
One of my colleagues, let's call him Tim, is an employee of the federal government. Several years ago, when Congress was doing their annual budget shenanigans and there was a threat of a government shutdown, Tim was facing the very real possibility of being furloughed. As the deadline got closer and closer, Tim began to panic. At one point he said, "So, I guess this is why they say you should have 3-6 months of expenses saved up." Apparently Tim had no emergency fund.

Miraculously, Tim did not get furloughed and was saved. But he decided that he should probably improve his financial situation a little bit and get his shit together. He decided that he would sell his car and buy a motorcycle, so his commuting costs would be less. He managed to sell his car and pay off the outstanding loan. He then managed to get another loan to buy a motorcycle. He said he was saving lots of money on gas and toll pass, and now he no longer had to pay for an extra parking spot at his condo. Sounds like a great deal, right? But in addition to the motorcycle itself, he had to buy ALL. THE. GEAR. He bought the helmet, the leather jacket, the gloves, the yellow safety vest. OK sure, necessary things. Then he needed a rain suit for when it rained. Then he had to buy a new backpack to carry his crap while he was on the bike. Then decided he needed hard-sided luggage containers (sorry I don't know the proper term). At some point he got a side car so he could take the wife and/or kids on adventures.

Then, he was having so much fun with his motorcycle, his wife decided she wanted one too so they could have fun together. So they bought her  a motorcycle. And helmet. And leathers... etc, etc. Then Tim found another motorcycle he liked better, and traded up for it.

Tim transferred to another department and I didn't see him much for a year or two. The next time I saw him we got to chatting and he mentioned that he was saving even more money now because he was leasing a Nissan Leaf and driving that to work instead of the motorcycle. Now he didn't have to pay the $200 a month on gas he had been spending with the motorcycle.

"So you sold the motorcycle, right?" I asked.
"Hell no! I'm never selling that thing."
"How much is the Nissan lease?"
"It's only $250 a month!"
"Sooo.... you're spending $250 a month to save $200??"
He paused momentarily, and appeared to be thinking.
"Dangit!!"

Now he's talking about transferring to a lower COL area so his money will go further, even though he'll get paid less working at that office.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:44:47 PM by DTaggart »

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8669 on: June 17, 2015, 07:57:51 AM »
Conversation:

CW: I need to leave early today. I'm helping my brother find a house and we think we've found one!
Me: That's great! Where is it? Will he be able to afford it? (Her brother is not well-paid and has very little saved.)
CW: It's not too far from his job. It's just the most adorable tiny little place. I think it will be perfect for him.
Me: How tiny?
CW: Just a an itty-bitty little place.
Me: Square footage?
CW: 3,000 sq ft

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8670 on: June 17, 2015, 08:04:46 AM »

Does hunting cost that much? I've never gone so I don't know how much tags and other things cost, but that seems excessive.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #8671 on: June 17, 2015, 08:04:56 AM »
Another coworker has filed for bankruptcy, has 2 vehicles AND a motorcycle, spends upwards of $100 per month at Victoria's Secret (she must wear matching bra and panties EVERY DAY), pays $200 per month for Comcast, owns season tickets to the local NFL team, is taking out loans for school (she already has $30,000 and is only 1/3 done with her online business degree), and has numerous other store credit cards that she pays the minimum payment on. Oh did I mention that she lives at home with her mom so she doesn't have to pay much in rent? She also has no children. Every time we are going to meet up for a drink, it has to be right after payday so she can spend her money...D'oh!!!!!

So $1200/yr for VS.  assuming no sales, even with matching bra and panties every day, that's still like 20 matching sets - a year!  My wife has VA bras (and the free panties they send coupons for every few months) and they last ~2 years with care (only hand wash) and normal use (2-3 days a week per bra).  How is this girl walking around with 40-60 good VS bras.  It's it wrong that that's what I'm upset at, screw that 3 vehicles and all her other issues - how do you 'need' 60 bras while shopping for more?!?!?

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8672 on: June 17, 2015, 08:12:36 AM »

Does hunting cost that much? I've never gone so I don't know how much tags and other things cost, but that seems excessive.

It doesn't have to cost that much if you know what you are doing, or go with someone who knows. If it becomes a hobby, like any other hobby, you can spend lots of money on new tools (My brother is planning on spending $1000 on trail cams this year). Or you can pay a guide LOTS of money to take you out and hold your hand. My other brother used to work for a guide up in northern BC. Their clients were mostly rich Americans and some rich Europeans who spent insane amounts of money to go hunting.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8673 on: June 17, 2015, 08:13:44 AM »
Conversation:

CW: I need to leave early today. I'm helping my brother find a house and we think we've found one!
Me: That's great! Where is it? Will he be able to afford it? (Her brother is not well-paid and has very little saved.)
CW: It's not too far from his job. It's just the most adorable tiny little place. I think it will be perfect for him.

That is absolutely ridiculous. Not buying a house that size, but not recognizing it to be what it is: a large house.  I live in a house that is a similar size (I don't actually know the square footage, but I'd bet it is about that). I recognize my house is absurdly large.

Unless they are a family of 12 or more, calling that itty-bitty is absurd.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #8674 on: June 17, 2015, 08:15:26 AM »

Well this is a hunting TRIP!  So I'm assuming possible airfare to get to a good hunting spot, 2-3 days in a high end hotel, renting an 'awesome weapon' since your normal rifle isn't good enough (or just buying a new one), you 'of course' need some ammo for target practice beforehand for the new weapon, new camo/outfit since the old one is last season (and that will scare away the deer or something), paying someone to show you where to go, paying fees to hunt on private land...

I hunt locally, and it only costs maybe $15 per trip (weapon already paid for, hunting on friends land).  Most of that is gas to get there and ammo.  The only extra costs I have is if I pay someone to help me clean/butcher a kill - and that is usually a portion of the meat rather than cash.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8675 on: June 17, 2015, 08:47:55 AM »

It doesn't have to cost that much if you know what you are doing, or go with someone who knows. If it becomes a hobby, like any other hobby, you can spend lots of money on new tools (My brother is planning on spending $1000 on trail cams this year). Or you can pay a guide LOTS of money to take you out and hold your hand. My other brother used to work for a guide up in northern BC. Their clients were mostly rich Americans and some rich Europeans who spent insane amounts of money to go hunting.

I always rip on a family member for the money he spends on hunting (every gadget known to man inc. ATVs and such, etc etc) BUT he once pointed out the 100 acres of hunting land he bought for about $80k is now worth almost $300k.  So he's basically getting PAID to hunt. 

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8676 on: June 17, 2015, 08:51:29 AM »
Conversation:

That is absolutely ridiculous. Not buying a house that size, but not recognizing it to be what it is: a large house.  I live in a house that is a similar size (I don't actually know the square footage, but I'd bet it is about that). I recognize my house is absurdly large.

He is a family of one.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8677 on: June 17, 2015, 08:57:34 AM »

Well this is a hunting TRIP!  So I'm assuming possible airfare to get to a good hunting spot, 2-3 days in a high end hotel, renting an 'awesome weapon' since your normal rifle isn't good enough (or just buying a new one), you 'of course' need some ammo for target practice beforehand for the new weapon, new camo/outfit since the old one is last season (and that will scare away the deer or something), paying someone to show you where to go, paying fees to hunt on private land...

I hunt locally, and it only costs maybe $15 per trip (weapon already paid for, hunting on friends land).  Most of that is gas to get there and ammo.  The only extra costs I have is if I pay someone to help me clean/butcher a kill - and that is usually a portion of the meat rather than cash.

Where do you go hunting? I've never gone but would love to try it sometime, especially as I love venison.

LoveStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8678 on: June 17, 2015, 08:59:38 AM »

Well the trip was in Texas and with friends...not sure if she was also paying for the friends, but it seems like it. Thinking back I probably shouldn't have enabled her, but I was bored and didn't really think about at the time...

LoveStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8679 on: June 17, 2015, 09:04:24 AM »

So $1200/yr for VS.  assuming no sales, even with matching bra and panties every day, that's still like 20 matching sets - a year!  My wife has VA bras (and the free panties they send coupons for every few months) and they last ~2 years with care (only hand wash) and normal use (2-3 days a week per bra).  How is this girl walking around with 40-60 good VS bras.  It's it wrong that that's what I'm upset at, screw that 3 vehicles and all her other issues - how do you 'need' 60 bras while shopping for more?!?!?

Not sure if she has that many bras, but she buys lots of stuff; underwear, clothing, perfume, makeup...But yes, she wears matching bra and underwear everyday. And pays the minimum $25/month.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8680 on: June 17, 2015, 09:09:23 AM »

Not sure if she has that many bras, but she buys lots of stuff; underwear, clothing, perfume, makeup...But yes, she wears matching bra and underwear everyday. And pays the minimum $25/month.

Why is she telling her coworkers about her underwear? WTF?

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8681 on: June 17, 2015, 09:11:54 AM »

Let's get to what's important here...Is she hot?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8682 on: June 17, 2015, 09:33:14 AM »
If the hunting trip is in Texas, that's a pretty cheap figure. Unlike more normal parts of the United States, there is very little huntable land in TX. So the land owners can charge thousands to people even for hunting quail, turkeys, or deer. Then there are the big game ranches, where you pay sometimes in the tens of thousands to 'stalk' exotic African and Asian ungulates.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8683 on: June 17, 2015, 10:08:39 AM »

Let's get to what's important here...Is she hot?

Lets say yes

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #8684 on: June 17, 2015, 10:16:30 AM »
If the hunting trip is in Texas, that's a pretty cheap figure. Unlike more normal parts of the United States, there is very little huntable land in TX. So the land owners can charge thousands to people even for hunting quail, turkeys, or deer. Then there are the big game ranches, where you pay sometimes in the tens of thousands to 'stalk' exotic African and Asian ungulates.
You keep on using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means ;)

Even if you eat everything you shoot, this is still many times the cost of the food in question - so the rest of the $$ is recreation. The fact that many Texans are in the habit of paying high prices for this type of recreation doesn't make it cheap.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8685 on: June 17, 2015, 10:23:08 AM »

I agree - considering a house of that size to be itty bitty is more outrageous than one person living in it. 

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #8686 on: June 17, 2015, 10:58:09 AM »

I like how I didn't even think people would actually pay for the low-grade/overpriced makeup and perfume there.  Their bras are worth it (especially if you are larger up top), but the rest of the stuff - really?!?

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8687 on: June 17, 2015, 11:51:02 AM »
I like how I didn't even think people would actually pay for the low-grade/overpriced makeup and perfume there.  Their bras are worth it (especially if you are larger up top), but the rest of the stuff - really?!?

Actually, anyone who has tried actually quality undergarments will tell you that VS is crap. I mean, I still have some because it's cheap, but it is not well made at all.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8688 on: June 17, 2015, 11:54:22 AM »

Actually, anyone who has tried actually quality undergarments will tell you that VS is crap. I mean, I still have some because it's cheap, but it is not well made at all.

Ok, gotta ask. What brands do you consider quality? I've been happy with VS, so if I can find something even better I'll be in heaven. Particularly if it's cheaper.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8689 on: June 17, 2015, 12:08:30 PM »
overheard in the ladies' room at work...

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #8690 on: June 17, 2015, 12:19:39 PM »

Ok, gotta ask. What brands do you consider quality? I've been happy with VS, so if I can find something even better I'll be in heaven. Particularly if it's cheaper.

I also would like to know!  I've been having good luck with Maidenform bras lately, but I purchase them for about $6 each at Ross and get at least 2 years of use out of them.  Usually the underwire wears through the fabric, so once I've been stabbed a few times, I throw it out.  ;)

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #8691 on: June 17, 2015, 12:20:55 PM »
overheard in the ladies' room at work...
You seem especially concerned with busts today.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8692 on: June 17, 2015, 12:24:18 PM »

I also would like to know!  I've been having good luck with Maidenform bras lately, but I purchase them for about $6 each at Ross and get at least 2 years of use out of them.  Usually the underwire wears through the fabric, so once I've been stabbed a few times, I throw it out.  ;)

I like Chantelle.  I stopped shopping at VS went the quality took a nosedive and the prices went up.  I would rather pay a little more for a much higher quality item.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8693 on: June 17, 2015, 12:25:57 PM »

Texas is the 2nd biggest state with over a quarter million square miles.  Does it really have very little huntable land?  I find that mind boggling.

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8694 on: June 17, 2015, 12:38:28 PM »

I like Chantelle.  I stopped shopping at VS went the quality took a nosedive and the prices went up.  I would rather pay a little more for a much higher quality item.

I really like Soma.  Their underwear never shows under clothing and stays in place all day.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8695 on: June 17, 2015, 12:42:34 PM »

Me too, because a few years ago when I was pregnant with #2, I needed new underwear.  Usually I go for Hanes or FTL at Kmart, but I went to VS instead.  Bought 4-5 pair of different styles.  Anyway, I hated most of them except one style (no idea what it is though, hi-cut?)  Anyway, 3 years later, I tossed the rest and am left with Hanes/FTL that are too big or a little too small and one lonely pair of VS, which are my favorite.  Comfy and have been holding up well for once/week wear for 3 years.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8696 on: June 17, 2015, 12:45:29 PM »

I always rip on a family member for the money he spends on hunting (every gadget known to man inc. ATVs and such, etc etc) BUT he once pointed out the 100 acres of hunting land he bought for about $80k is now worth almost $300k.  So he's basically getting PAID to hunt.

Not unless he sells, he isn't.

Our hunting costs are ammunition only since we do it here on the property. Butchering is unpleasant, but venison is yummy. We're now back in "wait for the season" mode since we're out.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8697 on: June 17, 2015, 01:21:51 PM »

Texas is the 2nd biggest state with over a quarter million square miles.  Does it really have very little huntable land?  I find that mind boggling.

Yes, because it's full of people who loathe the idea of public/state/federal ownership of resources. I mean, it has a lot of park area in terms of raw hectares, but percentage wise, I think it's somewhere in the range of 5-10% of the land is accessible to the public, which puts it in the bottom 5 or 6 states in the country. Contrast that with Wisconsin (not exactly a beacon of socialism) where I grew up, which has I think has about 15-20% of its land in public ownership. Or Arizona, where I went to college, which I believe has about 40-50% public land. *Figures approximate because it's hard to find current data on it in a quick Google search.

The ironic thing is that a lot natural resource management money has traditionally come from hunting licenses and taxes, and with so little access to land to hunt, and SO MUCH MONEY required to do it consistently, numbers of next generation hunters have nose dived here, and the state is always wringing its hands over how to raise funds to manage all its parks, natural resources, etc.

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #8698 on: June 17, 2015, 02:52:57 PM »

My question exactly.  How would one know what one's coworkers were wearing underneath their clothes?  Shades of Mad Men... 

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8699 on: June 17, 2015, 03:00:41 PM »
My question exactly.  How would one know what one's coworkers were wearing underneath their clothes?  Shades of Mad Men...

I'm a guy but if it's just a bunch of women working in an office all day together, no men, that doesn't seem too weird of a topic.  I know a bunch of guys working together with no women around, any and every topic is game...