Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13266610 times)

Mike2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Puma Plow Productions
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #3350 on: July 21, 2014, 09:22:31 PM »
Two stories.  First is the lady who complains she can't put food on the table for her kids but takes at least one girls weekend a month to the local lake resort and second is the lady who is going to cash out her 401k to buy her spoiled daughter a car.  Great decisions all around.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3351 on: July 21, 2014, 09:31:51 PM »
the lady who is going to cash out her 401k to buy her spoiled daughter a car

Awesome. I don't understand how people like this make it through life.

Mike2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Puma Plow Productions
« Reply #3352 on: July 21, 2014, 09:44:05 PM »

Agreed.  She is a good friend so I told her she was being a fool for doing that but to no avail.

viper155

• Bristles
« Reply #3353 on: July 22, 2014, 06:35:23 AM »

I do....those of us who "do" have our wealth redistributed to those who "won't" by politicians I certainly didn't vote for.

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #3354 on: July 22, 2014, 06:42:23 AM »
I do....those of us who "do" have our wealth redistributed to those who "won't" by politicians I certainly didn't vote for.

Just stop. Not what this thread is for.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3355 on: July 22, 2014, 08:31:13 AM »
CW:
Why did the alterations on my dress cost $50 when the alterations on my husbands new suit were only $30? I guess it doesn't matter anyway since we receive $100 alterations credit at Nordstrom's every year so we're not really paying for the alterations anyway.
Me: Huh? Stunned. No response at all.

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3356 on: July 22, 2014, 10:02:51 AM »
Overheard as I went to retrieve my lunch from the fridge in the breakroom of a company from which I semi-FIRE'd a few months ago (I'm back to help out with a big project as a contractor for a few months):

"...unless you just want to work for personal fulfillment and not worry about the money you get from it.  But NOBODY could EVER do THAT."

I got my lunch and kept my mouth shut. :)

zt

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #3357 on: July 22, 2014, 10:07:12 AM »
CW:
Why did the alterations on my dress cost $50 when the alterations on my husbands new suit were only $30? I guess it doesn't matter anyway since we receive $100 alterations credit at Nordstrom's every year so we're not really paying for the alterations anyway.
Me: Huh? Stunned. No response at all.

I have to say, getting alterations to clothing from a thrift shop is actually a pretty great way to go in my opinion (granted this is very different than buying clothes from Nordstoms and getting those altered). A $5 button down shirt from Goodwill and a $15 tailoring turns it into a shirt that looks like it is worth $100.

Tailoring (at your local neighborhood tailor) is a very cheap way to make just about any article of clothing look way better on you.

MrsPotts

• Stubble
« Reply #3358 on: July 23, 2014, 07:59:43 PM »
Coworker is very stressed and bored and deserves a break so she is going to move in with her 21 year old daughter in Vegas and live there for a year on her credit cards so she can party and meet a rich sugar daddy. 

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3359 on: July 23, 2014, 08:28:41 PM »
Coworker is very stressed and bored and deserves a break so she is going to move in with her 21 year old daughter in Vegas and live there for a year on her credit cards so she can party and meet a rich sugar daddy.
What do rich sugar daddies in Vegas look like?

EricL

« Reply #3360 on: July 23, 2014, 09:57:32 PM »

Let's just say the qualities relied upon for meeting women they lean most heavily on are being rich sugar daddies. 

And Vegas on credit cards?  For a year?  That's nuts.

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3361 on: July 23, 2014, 10:20:58 PM »
This has long been one of my favorite threads on the forum. Out of curiosity/boredom I went back and started reading the very beginning of the thread. This, Reply #2, is one of my favorite posts thus far.

I once made a "...but I'll be retired by then" comment to an acquaintance at work (during a discussion about the far future).  His bushy, bushy eyebrows shot up into his even bushier hair and he asked, "Really?  Are you independently wealthy or something?"

No, dumbass, but I have a $100k+/year job and I do math for a living.  And so do you.  Why are you not retired yet?

I want to say things like this at work so bad. It warms the cockles of my heart to know that there are people out there who feel the same way I do when it comes to less-than-genius co-workers.

I guess what I'm trying to say is; thank you fellow mustachians, you make my life much easier.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3362 on: July 23, 2014, 10:22:54 PM »
Today I overheard my co-worker saying on the phone that she is eligible to retire in 3 years, but who can afford that with our crappy 30% pension?  Then she said, "well, I guess we get that gap-pay until Social Security kicks in, but still, I'll have to keep working."  We're Federal employees, so she should have been paying into TSP for the last few decades as well.  For anyone who doesn't know, we actually get a pretty good benefit to fill the gap between retirement age (57) and Social Security eligibility too.  Her husband just retired with a great pension, but she recently financed a $30K car, goes out to eat all the time, has been on a ton of trips this year (Alaska, Prague, Costa Rica), and has a huge cell phone plan and pays for stuff like pesticide and lawn services.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3363 on: July 24, 2014, 08:57:41 AM »
Today I overheard my co-worker saying on the phone that she is eligible to retire in 3 years, but who can afford that with our crappy 30% pension?  Then she said, "well, I guess we get that gap-pay until Social Security kicks in, but still, I'll have to keep working."  We're Federal employees, so she should have been paying into TSP for the last few decades as well.  For anyone who doesn't know, we actually get a pretty good benefit to fill the gap between retirement age (57) and Social Security eligibility too.  Her husband just retired with a great pension, but she recently financed a $30K car, goes out to eat all the time, has been on a ton of trips this year (Alaska, Prague, Costa Rica), and has a huge cell phone plan and pays for stuff like pesticide and lawn services.

Yeah, "crappy 30% pension" which will likely cover 50% or more of her pre-retirement expenses.  And of course, would have covered significantly more than that had one of her expenses been a $17,500 annual contribution to her TSP!  In my case, I've calculated that my pension + FERS Supp will cover 82% of my pre-retirement expenses.  This co-worker needs to be face-punched for frittering away what is quite possibly the best retirement scheme in the entire western world -- FERS.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #3364 on: July 24, 2014, 09:53:56 AM »

I do hope they don't yank that gap-pay out from under our feet in the next 5 years.  If not I don't expect to start pulling from the TSP until 591/2 or maybe even 62 when the gap-pay stops. 

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3365 on: July 24, 2014, 11:38:57 AM »
Elvis

(sorry, couldn't resist; the force is strong)

galaxie

• Bristles
« Reply #3366 on: July 24, 2014, 12:11:51 PM »
This has long been one of my favorite threads on the forum. Out of curiosity/boredom I went back and started reading the very beginning of the thread. This, Reply #2, is one of my favorite posts thus far.

I once made a "...but I'll be retired by then" comment to an acquaintance at work (during a discussion about the far future).  His bushy, bushy eyebrows shot up into his even bushier hair and he asked, "Really?  Are you independently wealthy or something?"

No, dumbass, but I have a $100k+/year job and I do math for a living.  And so do you.  Why are you not retired yet?

I want to say things like this at work so bad. It warms the cockles of my heart to know that there are people out there who feel the same way I do when it comes to less-than-genius co-workers.

I guess what I'm trying to say is; thank you fellow mustachians, you make my life much easier.

Aw, shucks!  I am glad it cheered you up. 

It's funny, because I just mentioned this to a work friend the other day: "Why are there so many old-timers here?  We have great retirement benefits, and everyone does math for a living.  They could all retire!"  She is new here, and I think I convinced her to max out her 401k contribution.

I, on the other hand, am leaving  for my lower-paying dream job because of MMM.  High fives all around!

EricL

« Reply #3367 on: July 24, 2014, 03:23:46 PM »
Elvis

Yeah, Vegas Elvis if he hadn't died - older, fatter, more wrinkled, bald.  Lots of dough though.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #3368 on: July 24, 2014, 03:58:47 PM »
Elvis

Yeah, Vegas Elvis if he hadn't died - older, fatter, more wrinkled, bald.  Lots of dough though.
Elvis is dead?

AlmostIndependent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3369 on: July 24, 2014, 10:21:01 PM »

It's funny, because I just mentioned this to a work friend the other day: "Why are there so many old-timers here?  We have great retirement benefits, and everyone does math for a living.  They could all retire!"  She is new here, and I think I convinced her to max out her 401k contribution.

I, on the other hand, am leaving  for my lower-paying dream job because of MMM.  High fives all around!

I too am preparing to take a lower paying dream job. I am so freaking excited I can't sit still when I think about it.

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #3370 on: July 24, 2014, 11:32:55 PM »
Elvis

Elvis is dead?

He sure is, I saw his skeleton in Robocop 2. lol

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3371 on: July 25, 2014, 06:49:50 AM »

I too am preparing to take a lower paying dream job. I am so freaking excited I can't sit still when I think about it.

congrats!!!! this is my goal too, instead of ER (well maybe slightly early but not like MMM early), so y'all are very inspirational!! :)

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3372 on: July 25, 2014, 08:20:45 AM »
I have two stories:

1) A higher level employee in my organization is single in their late 30's and lives in a $800K, 2,000 sqft condo with $500+ HOA fees.
2) We recently had a single, junior employee move across the country to take on a new job. I tried to convince him about Boston traffic and to live close to work. He decided to live 20 miles away (45 minute commute). Oh well, at least I tried.

No problem living in an 800 k condo if it's within budget.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3373 on: July 25, 2014, 08:47:11 AM »

Yeah, "crappy 30% pension" which will likely cover 50% or more of her pre-retirement expenses.  And of course, would have covered significantly more than that had one of her expenses been a $17,500 annual contribution to her TSP!  In my case, I've calculated that my pension + FERS Supp will cover 82% of my pre-retirement expenses.  This co-worker needs to be face-punched for frittering away what is quite possibly the best retirement scheme in the entire western world -- FERS.

Yep.  To be fair to her, she doesn't complain about having to work, and her ex husband did screw up their finances.  On the other hand, I just don't see much of any inclination to rein in spending to get expenses in line with what she *could* have coming in at minimum retirement age.  Partly she's bitter that she got talked into switching from CSRS, which does sound like it was a sweeter deal. 

Another fed I know is retiring *this year* and doesn't even know exactly what he'll be getting and is purposely sticking his head in the sand.  He currently lives paycheck-to-paycheck, supports his wife, mother, and to some extent his grown son and his grandkid, yet doesn't know what he'll be getting and doesn't have the cash saved for the gap between stopping work and starting to get the pension payments and whatever else.  I'm not even mustashian and my blood pressure skyrockets every time I hear anything about it.

OTOH, I didn't even know we had a pension benefit for the first several years I was working.  I thought it was just TSP and Social Security.  Now I'm kind of confused about what I'm supposed to do with a 1.8 million + TSP account, much less a ROTH if I work until full retirement age.  I'll have close to a million if I ratchet back to just getting the match.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3374 on: July 25, 2014, 08:55:11 AM »
Also, I had a coworker openly admit that he spends $800/month on weed. (And by the way lives paycheck to paycheck)
Ahh!! There the saying about smoking your retirement away comes from...

Miamoo

• Stubble
« Reply #3375 on: July 25, 2014, 09:05:05 AM »

Quote from: goldielocks on July 23, 2014, 08:28:41 PM

Quote from: MrsPotts on July 23, 2014, 07:59:43 PM

Elvis

Or the ever so attractive Wayne Newton - or has he moved on to Branson?  I forget.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3376 on: July 25, 2014, 09:17:10 AM »
Well... I just got a doozy.  My co-worker, who is my supervisor, just said told me how broke he was.  I know that he makes at lease 80K a year.  Anyways to the point of my story.

Him and his girlfriend just bought their third house.  They are both in there mid 50's and have been married a few times, so marriage is not in the future for them.  Anyways they just bought the third house, which would be great, if they rented two, but he lives in his house, she and hers, while the spend money to revovate the new house so they can move in, which he has stated will cost about 150000, and he paid over 500000 for this house, because it has his dream garage.

He is leaving on holidays to sturgus for the bike convention.  So he had to spend $6000 getting his $35000 Harley tricked out for the trip, so it looks good, because he just doesnt have enought time to do it(he is a mechinical engineer, so the work would have been something he is capable of).

We were talking this morning in the coffee room, and he casuly mentioned(this actually blew my mind a little) that him and his girl have to buy a new vehicle like a $50000 lexus becuase the driveway at their new house is steep and they may have issues driving the 2013 4x4 for explorer up the drive way... WTF HUH??

During the conversation on the explorer he explained that none of the other 12 cars they had between the two of them would work(12 cars two people what).  He also mentioned that the "spare" tire inventory for the cars was 34 tires.  He was also saying that maybe they should bite the bullett and but a Corvette annivery edition... he found one with less then 50000km for only 125000...

He then complains that he cant figure out why he is so broke, or where all his money is going.... he just stuck his head in my office and asked if I wanted to go for breakfast this morning...OMG.

Numbers Man

« Reply #3377 on: July 25, 2014, 09:27:39 AM »
 ^  You must be a good listener, lol.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3378 on: July 25, 2014, 09:33:06 AM »
This has been over several days...  I sit quietly and chuckle to me self.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #3379 on: July 25, 2014, 09:47:01 AM »

During the conversation on the explorer he explained that none of the other 12 cars they had between the two of them would work(12 cars two people what).  He also mentioned that the "spare" tire inventory for the cars was 34 tires.  He was also saying that maybe they should bite the bullett and but a Corvette annivery edition... he found one with less then 50000km for only 125000...

Can we get a list of the 12 cars? I don't understand how or why anyone would want this many vehicles?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3380 on: July 25, 2014, 09:52:30 AM »
This has been over several days...  I sit quietly and chuckle to me self.

I don't know if I could chuckle. This might have risen to the level of requiring an intervention.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3381 on: July 25, 2014, 09:52:36 AM »

Can we get a list of the 12 cars? I don't understand how or why anyone would want this many vehicles?

Hopefully the garage is at the bottom of the steep driveway?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3382 on: July 25, 2014, 09:57:35 AM »

Hopefully the garage is at the bottom of the steep driveway?

He may need to hire a guy to build a continuous garage all the way up one side of the driveway.  I hope they are not all titled/insured.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3383 on: July 25, 2014, 09:57:49 AM »
I have hears some of them...

He has a:
1986 fiero
1967 GTO
1967 Mecaidies
2013 chev 1/2 tonne
2012 chev 1/2 tonne - this is his 4x4 truck - can drive it all the time because it is too hard on gas
2012 Harley
2000 Harley
1999 Honda gold wing

She has:
2013 explorer
1976 Corvette

I also know that his new place had to have a 3 car attached garage, for their daily commuters(3 commuters and two people) and we live in a small city where you can easily bike anywhere in it in 20-30 minutes and also had to have a 30 x 40 garage in the back.  He was very happy that he could have all of the cars at his place instead of having to store them at his parents and his brothers places.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3384 on: July 25, 2014, 09:59:38 AM »
He has them insured and drives them once a month because they just detirate if you dont

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #3385 on: July 25, 2014, 10:06:19 AM »

My husband could easily name 12 cars that he would love to own.  But he's a classic car buff.  In reality, he drives a 20-yr old 4-Runner with 280k miles and *almost* has his 32 Model A road-worthy.  It's not pretty yet, but it will be street legal.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3386 on: July 25, 2014, 10:40:08 AM »
A coworker of mine's recently-turned 18 year old son made some pretty stupid decisions after graduating high school last month (was caught drinking a beer in his parked car at a park a block away from his house), so now they have all sorts of court and legal fees to deal with. She was also complaining how her washer is leaking all over the place, her dishwasher hasn't worked in months, and the door to her minivan won't stay shut. Ouch. But...

- She just bought a $700 trampoline because she doesn't want her other kids to suffer
- Is currently on a week long vacation camping in NC. We don't live anywhere near NC.
- Planning a long weekend getaway in August

Also, she just received a $7,000 cut (granted, before taxes) as part of our company's sort of profit sharing program. No idea where the post tax money went, but given the amount of complaining she's done about the lawyer's fee...

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3387 on: July 25, 2014, 10:44:55 AM »

My husband could easily name 12 cars that he would love to own.  But he's a classic car buff.  In reality, he drives a 20-yr old 4-Runner with 280k miles and *almost* has his 32 Model A road-worthy.  It's not pretty yet, but it will be street legal.

Wow. I mean, I'm a car guy and fiddling with cars is my primary hobby (and hopefully eventual main hustle), and we just have 4- all of which are very differently suited. 12 (though I do note 3 of those are motorcycles...) especially TWO nearly identical trucks- is just insane for someone who's not a mega-millionaire

1- Small, efficient sedan (2000 Saturn): Has been my primary vehicle but has sad largely idle for the last few months as I've taken to bike commuting hardcore after our move. If I can continue to commute on the bike year-round will likely be sold as it won't be needed.

2- Small SUV (2008 Mercury Mariner): Wife's car she's had for a few years from before we got together. Somewhat larger than necessary, but the cargo space DOES get used a lot since we regularly scour local thrift stores for furniture for her to refinish and sell.

3- Exotic (1983 DMC-12): Car I'd wanted all my life and is fun through and through, gets driven sparingly but a lot more than people expect.

4- Race car/parts hauler (1979 El Camino): Project car still in work, being primarily built for a budget car building/racing competition but will be kept around for me to use to make salvage yard runs

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3388 on: July 25, 2014, 11:05:36 AM »
OMG, that car clown is AWESOME. They really exist, these people!?!
How about building an underground parking lot? Then its not so steep :D:D:D

(was caught drinking a beer in his parked car at a park a block away from his house),
Where you live its illegal to drink in a parked car? I should think you can do whatever you want in your car. (esp. if you are in the US). Of course, when he is driving after drinking... (here in germany thats mostly defined as "engine running", which is very logical, because then the car could move of its own.)

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #3389 on: July 25, 2014, 11:11:22 AM »
(was caught drinking a beer in his parked car at a park a block away from his house),
Where you live its illegal to drink in a parked car? I should think you can do whatever you want in your car. (esp. if you are in the US). Of course, when he is driving after drinking... (here in germany thats mostly defined as "engine running", which is very logical, because then the car could move of its own.)

I'm assuming it was the age of the kid relative to legal drinking age in that area that was the issue more than the parked car.  Not everyone gets to live in Germany :p

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #3390 on: July 25, 2014, 11:23:46 AM »
Wow. I mean, I'm a car guy and fiddling with cars is my primary hobby (and hopefully eventual main hustle), and we just have 4- all of which are very differently suited. 12 (though I do note 3 of those are motorcycles...) especially TWO nearly identical trucks- is just insane for someone who's not a mega-millionaire

That last bit is not necessary

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3391 on: July 25, 2014, 11:30:10 AM »

I'm assuming it was the age of the kid relative to legal drinking age in that area that was the issue more than the parked car.  Not everyone gets to live in Germany :p

Underage is definitely an issue, as is having an open container inside a car. The laws may be bent when you're tailgating, but he got hit pretty hard.

At least in my state, it's illegal to have any alcohol (closed included) within arms reach of the driver. My friend was pulled over for rolling through a stop sign while driving home from grocery shopping. She had all of her groceries in the front seat, including the (still very closed) six pack she just bought. The cop told her that was illegal, and she technically should have received a ticket for that. Luckily the cop was cool and rolled his eyes about that, but he warned her to put all alcohol in the trunk when transporting it just to be safe.

But we're getting off topic here. Sorry!

edit: I used "technically" three times in two sentences. That's technically pretty dumb of me.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:16:17 PM by Lis »

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #3392 on: July 25, 2014, 12:10:25 PM »

12 (though I do note 3 of those are motorcycles...) especially TWO nearly identical trucks- is just insane for someone who's not a mega-millionaire

Precisely why he has two cars instead of 12.  :)

We live near where Jay Leno keeps his garage.  Before he retired, we regularly saw him driving around town in one of his many cars.  My husband dreams of being wealthy enough to be able to justify owning that many cars.  It doesn't mean he ever will (or would, if we did become that wealthy).  Right now he'd settle for a tour of the garage!

Off the top of my head, I know he would love to have (all classic cars, nothing modern):

1. a truck

2. a 50-something Dodge something or other (I pay attention, can you tell?)

3. a vintage Beetle (this one would actually be my car)

4. a station wagon for a family car

5. his model A

6. a muscle car.  I really tune out when he starts talking about these.

So we're at six.  I'm sure he could name more.  But, again, it's not a reality world, just a dream.  It's what he loves.  And it's also his hobby.  He knows his model A inside and out, and has built it from nothing.  He even learned how to weld as part of building it. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 12:14:58 PM by hermoninny »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3393 on: July 25, 2014, 12:18:56 PM »
While not 12 cars for 2 people, I visited my high school friends recently for a wedding and discovered one of them owns 5 cars.  He's single.  He has: 3 porsche (I understand 2 are old - say ~1940/1950s that he rebuilt), 1 BMW, and 1 truck.  He started off a few sentences with how he hates to admit X because it makes him sound like self-entitled over-privileged etc... 

otherbarry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3394 on: July 25, 2014, 12:57:03 PM »
Coworkers were talking about how they spend money and one guy went, "I want the last check I write before I die to bounce."

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3395 on: July 25, 2014, 01:17:04 PM »
OTOH, I didn't even know we had a pension benefit for the first several years I was working.  I thought it was just TSP and Social Security.  Now I'm kind of confused about what I'm supposed to do with a 1.8 million + TSP account

Keep in mind that the federal pension is only 1% of your salary times your years of service, and is not inflation adjusted between retiring and collecting it.  That means that if you work 10 years in your federal job and retire at 30, they will determine the dollar amount of your pension as 10% of today's salary, and you will get that amount of dollars when you start drawing your pension in 30 more years.  The lack of an inflation adjustment coupled to the rising payout per year that you work means that the pension is a terrible deal for early retirees.  You'd be much better off just having your pension contributions back and investing them in a taxable account.

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #3396 on: July 25, 2014, 01:24:59 PM »
Precisely why he has two cars instead of 12.  :)

We live near where Jay Leno keeps his garage.  Before he retired, we regularly saw him driving around town in one of his many cars.  My husband dreams of being wealthy enough to be able to justify owning that many cars.  It doesn't mean he ever will (or would, if we did become that wealthy).  Right now he'd settle for a tour of the garage!

Off the top of my head, I know he would love to have (all classic cars, nothing modern):

1. a truck

2. a 50-something Dodge something or other (I pay attention, can you tell?)

3. a vintage Beetle (this one would actually be my car)

4. a station wagon for a family car

5. his model A

6. a muscle car.  I really tune out when he starts talking about these.

So we're at six.  I'm sure he could name more.  But, again, it's not a reality world, just a dream.  It's what he loves.  And it's also his hobby.  He knows his model A inside and out, and has built it from nothing.  He even learned how to weld as part of building it.

Oh, I've definitely got a list of cars I'd love to own too- though likely not all at the same time since we have a hard enough time parking just what we currently have. :P If the Saturn does get sold and the Elky is done I'll likely be on the prowl for a later-production Corvair convertible to restore as a fun summer car since we both miss having a convertible.

My wife once told me when I got to talking about something technical on the cars that when I did that it may as well have sounded the same as the teachers on Charlie Brown that were 'voiced' by trombones because it was about as comprehensible to her. She does enjoy the cars though as well as my being able to work on them and save us money on repairs.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #3397 on: July 25, 2014, 02:27:11 PM »
Coworkers were talking about how they spend money and one guy went, "I want the last check I write before I die to bounce."

Wow...that is all...

Numbers Man

« Reply #3398 on: July 25, 2014, 02:33:42 PM »

Wow...that is all...

Hopefully that's not the check to the funeral home.

hermoninny

• Stubble
« Reply #3399 on: July 25, 2014, 02:49:28 PM »

Oh, I've definitely got a list of cars I'd love to own too- though likely not all at the same time since we have a hard enough time parking just what we currently have. :P If the Saturn does get sold and the Elky is done I'll likely be on the prowl for a later-production Corvair convertible to restore as a fun summer car since we both miss having a convertible.

My wife once told me when I got to talking about something technical on the cars that when I did that it may as well have sounded the same as the teachers on Charlie Brown that were 'voiced' by trombones because it was about as comprehensible to her. She does enjoy the cars though as well as my being able to work on them and save us money on repairs.

Yes!  The knowing about cars has helped a lot.  Mostly for my mom, though, which is awesome as she nears retirement without much savings and constantly worries about having to buy a new car.  He's kept her from having expensive A/C repairs by topping up the freon (admittedly learned from his 4-runner and not the model A) and also replaced her door lock mechanism with one he found at a junkyard when she couldn't lock her door. 

And I relate very much to your wife.  He goes into technical detail ALL THE TIME.  I once asked him what he would think if I started going into the technical and mathematical details of my knitting.  He replied that knitting wasn't going to save his life like brakes on the car would.  I told him that may be true, but I didn't need to know precisely HOW the brakes work, just that when I push the brake pedal the car will stop.  I don't think he thought it was as funny as I did!  :)