Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 8764250 times)

Sun Hat

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #20900 on: September 14, 2018, 05:18:38 PM »
In the checkout line at Walmart:
I was in the line longer enough to learn this family's structure. Man is just dating the girl for her section 8 house. Girl has two kids from two different men. Kid one is a toddler, kid two is maybe 4-8 (I dont know what kids look like at what age)

Man to kid 2:
"If ya wanna be a balla, gotta spend them dollas"

Unless the mother of the two children was under the age of 18 herself, she is a woman, not a "girl". It is belittling to infantilize women by calling them children when they are adults.

Kahooli

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20901 on: September 14, 2018, 07:39:40 PM »
Bless your heart.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #20902 on: September 14, 2018, 10:48:29 PM »
I was in the line longer enough to learn this family's structure. Man is just dating the girl for her section 8 house. Girl has two kids from two different men. Kid one is a toddler, kid two is maybe 4-8 (I dont know what kids look like at what age)

Man to kid 2:

Unless the mother of the two children was under the age of 18 herself, she is a woman, not a "girl". It is belittling to infantilize women by calling them children when they are adults.

In this day and age she might have been.

Even if she wasn't, and notwithstanding the fact that it IS kind of infantile to be in a relationship with someone only interested in your accommodations, you're right: it's pretty dergatory and on par wilt calling an African-American man "Boy". I do notice that the equally infantile male adult is referred to as a "man".

Psychstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20903 on: September 15, 2018, 08:04:30 AM »

Man to kid 2:

The perpetually poor parts of the South and Appalachia have been churning out 16 year old parents and 30 YO grandmas well before "this day and age". It's a poverty, education, and opportunity issue, not a generational one.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #20904 on: September 15, 2018, 09:26:46 AM »

Man to kid 2:

You must be fun at parties.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20905 on: September 15, 2018, 01:37:20 PM »

Man to kid 2:

You must be fun at parties.

I can assure you it's so much fun as a woman to be called a girl all the time (meisje, in Dutch) by the men at work that you're trying to educate about tax law - and not because you're a smartass know-it-all like they say you are (oh don't get mad at me, it's just a joke, women don't have a sense of humour) but because that's what you went to university for.

Kyle Schuant

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20906 on: September 15, 2018, 06:39:00 PM »
I can assure you it's so much fun as a woman to be called a girl all the time (meisje, in Dutch) by the men at work that you're trying to educate about tax law - and not because you're a smartass know-it-all like they say you are (oh don't get mad at me, it's just a joke, women don't have a sense of humour) but because that's what you went to university for.
One of my pet hates is that in my fitness profession and strength specialty, the women are referred to as "girls" - indeed by themselves, too. For example, Girls Who Powerlift, a group run by and for women. I joke, "girls don't lift heavy weights, but women do", but we can say the same for many aspects of life, women who've had children or done university degrees or the like, doing difficult things is a mark of passing from childhood to adulthood.

So I don't like it, but there it is. When women themselves - and quite feminist women, at that, since lifting heavy weights is quite literally empowering - are referring to themselves as "girls", you can't blame men too much for assuming it's acceptable.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20907 on: September 15, 2018, 07:52:00 PM »
One of my pet hates is that in my fitness profession and strength specialty, the women are referred to as "girls" - indeed by themselves, too. For example, Girls Who Powerlift, a group run by and for women. I joke, "girls don't lift heavy weights, but women do", but we can say the same for many aspects of life, women who've had children or done university degrees or the like, doing difficult things is a mark of passing from childhood to adulthood.

So I don't like it, but there it is. When women themselves - and quite feminist women, at that, since lifting heavy weights is quite literally empowering - are referring to themselves as "girls", you can't blame men too much for assuming it's acceptable.

No I think you can. Some women wrongly referring to adult women as girls doesnít make it ok for men to also do it. Itís a sign of a broader cultural issue.

Also marketing fail, ďladies who liftĒ has a really nice ring to it.

runbikerun

• Bristles
« Reply #20908 on: September 15, 2018, 11:51:18 PM »

And yet it's reasonably easy for white people to remember that no matter how much they love NWA, they don't get to use the N.

Kyle Schuant

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20909 on: September 16, 2018, 02:42:31 AM »
And there's also a continuing trend of black social leaders telling other black people not to use that word.

White people not using it is simply part of the modern trend that it's alright to actually be racist, sexist and so on, you just can't use rude words.

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #20910 on: September 16, 2018, 06:14:34 AM »

Man to kid 2:

Hey babe, go whine in Off Topic. There's already plenty of traffic in threads there.

[Mod Note: Warning Issued]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 07:09:11 AM by FrugalToque »

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20911 on: September 16, 2018, 06:43:24 AM »

I think it's stupid when women do it as well, and I correct all women under the age of 75 when they call me a girl (if you're over a certain age, I imagine everyone is a kid to you.

I do notice that women calling each other girls is something they tend to do in their private lives (like 'going out with the girls', 30-year old instagram 'fitgirls' etc) and not so much at work. I still don't like that. I outgrew the word girl like I outgrew my pigtails and my dolls.

I did once ask at work if they'd call a professional man in his late twenties a boy, but they thought it was a strange question.

As a white person, I would not use the N-word, but I do agree with you that it's just a mask of political correctness for most people instead of trying to not be racist. It was really funny when this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG_dA32oH44  song was big a few years ago and all the radio DJ's were trying to find ways to announce the song without offending anyone.

To keep this slightly on topic, Jay-Z's song the Story of OJ might have a lot of rude words, but I think this is the most mustachian rap song I've heard. I don't know any other songs about the magic of compounding interest. 

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #20912 on: September 16, 2018, 09:36:12 AM »
At work on Friday my team had our monthly meeting and the topic of expense reports came up. Turns out I have a coworker who hasnít submitted an expense report in 6 months! On one hand, good for them for clearly not living paycheck to paycheck. But on the ther hand, I routinely get $450 back per month from mileage and parking fees. So this guy has about $2700 just waiting for him....think of how much compound interest heís missing out on (quick calculation says $80,000 would be accumulated in 10 years and $25000 of that is interest).  Plus the longer you go without submitting, the more likely you are to lose a receipt or not recall the trip you forgot to write down. MADNESS!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 09:52:44 AM by Apple_Tango »

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20913 on: September 16, 2018, 10:26:55 AM »
At work on Friday my team had our monthly meeting and the topic of expense reports came up. Turns out I have a coworker who hasnít submitted an expense report in 6 months! On one hand, good for them for clearly not living paycheck to paycheck. But on the ther hand, I routinely get $450 back per month from mileage and parking fees. So this guy has about $2700 just waiting for him....think of how much compound interest heís missing out on (quick calculation says $80,000 would be accumulated in 10 years and $25000 of that is interest).  Plus the longer you go without submitting, the more likely you are to lose a receipt or not recall the trip you forgot to write down. MADNESS!

Oh, man.  I am that guy.  I bet I get reimbursement for probably 50% of what I'm eligible to get reimbursed for.  To be fair, I don't have a traveling role, so it's more "lunches with client" or "cab ride home", but it is a hole in budget this post reminded me to plug.

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20914 on: September 16, 2018, 11:56:23 AM »
One thing I don't get at all are big weddings with honeymoons and big gifts and a wedding registry etc. Although I've personally never been to a wedding like that, in our social circle people tend to have really low-key weddings. I only hear other people's horror stories. Half of people get divorced anyway, and sometimes I think that there might be a correlation between big expensive weddings and divorce statistics.

We had a cheap-ass wedding (lots of friends, lots of fun) and still going strong decades later.

OtherJen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20915 on: September 16, 2018, 12:10:12 PM »
One thing I don't get at all are big weddings with honeymoons and big gifts and a wedding registry etc. Although I've personally never been to a wedding like that, in our social circle people tend to have really low-key weddings. I only hear other people's horror stories. Half of people get divorced anyway, and sometimes I think that there might be a correlation between big expensive weddings and divorce statistics.

We had a cheap-ass wedding (lots of friends, lots of fun) and still going strong decades later.

Sometimes itís cultural. I have an enormous extended family, and itís pretty much expected that every wedding, baptism, first communion, high school graduation, etc. will be marked by a giant party to which second and third cousins and everyone above that level will be invited. When husband and I were planning our wedding, I wanted something small: just immediate families, grandmas, and closest friends. My mom and MIL nixed that (ďIt just isnít done! What will your aunts think?!Ē), and husband thought that he might like to have his cousins there. As our parents were offering to pay for it, I got them to compromise on a morning ceremony followed by lunch (much cheaper and saner), spice cake and lemon bars for dessert, and a guest list restricted to no family beyond first cousins (of which I have 28) and some good friends. It was still 160 people.

Oh well. It was pretty, nobody got drunk, the cake was really good, we avoided the garter and bouquet tosses (no DJ), were back in our apartment by 5 pm, and are still married 15 years later. And our moms didnít have strokes over our perceived gaffes in etiquette.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 01:07:52 PM by OtherJen »

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20916 on: September 16, 2018, 12:51:30 PM »

2. The aesthetics of an office is very important, not only to the customers but also to the employees. 
Not a bad selling point imho.

Not that I care about brand-name designers, but yes - office design is critical. Our Fearless Leaders want to move us from our current building with 100% offices (1 to 3 per office, depending on role) to a nearly completely "open" design. Eff that. I need quiet to concentrate. If we need to do "team" things - that's why the managers have larger offices (up to maybe 6 can meet) and conference rooms.

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20917 on: September 16, 2018, 01:03:52 PM »

Our antenna is about the size of a small car, and we also have an extender. That allows us to get 5 OTA channels.  For a long time we kept it in our basement utility room, and I'd pull it out into the living room for NBC (who carry my favorite sport)- 8 times a year.  Now it is under our deck.
Why not just put it up in your attic?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20918 on: September 17, 2018, 07:16:14 AM »

Sometimes itís cultural. I have an enormous extended family, and itís pretty much expected that every wedding, baptism, first communion, high school graduation, etc....

This. I was all like 'city hall, vacation, yay?' and my husband was like '... but family? Wedding?' so we had a wedding. 130 people. Sigh. Legitimately fun, and overall I'm glad we did it (though I will never spend that much on a party ever again, honestly), it was a great country wedding, good food, open bar, great location, and we spent under 4K. We could have saved half of that by cutting down on the number of guests/eloping, but in the end, these are people who live in the same village where we settled, who we see regularly and count on in a variety of ways. Saving 2K that we had (key point!!) by sacrificing community ties would have been cheap, not frugal. (Spending 30K would have been ludicrous, mind. There's a balance!!)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20919 on: September 17, 2018, 07:24:07 AM »

Our antenna is about the size of a small car, and we also have an extender. That allows us to get 5 OTA channels.  For a long time we kept it in our basement utility room, and I'd pull it out into the living room for NBC (who carry my favorite sport)- 8 times a year.  Now it is under our deck.

The way our attic is insulated, it isn't really designed to have stuff in it. We wouldn't have easy access to adjust it when necessary.
 It works really well under the deck.

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #20920 on: September 17, 2018, 02:50:15 PM »

The way our attic is insulated, it isn't really designed to have stuff in it. We wouldn't have easy access to adjust it when necessary.

You must have a high deck or be at an elevation.
Attic adjustments? I haven't done any after I set mine up in 2010. A few minutes of work and years of free OTA PBS broadcasts. So Much Winning!

Just Joe

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20921 on: September 18, 2018, 08:04:49 AM »

Man to kid 2:

The perpetually poor parts of the South and Appalachia have been churning out 16 year old parents and 30 YO grandmas well before "this day and age". It's a poverty, education, and opportunity issue, not a generational one.

So have the cities all across the country. Its not regionally unique.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20922 on: September 18, 2018, 08:14:14 AM »

So have the cities all across the country. Its not regionally unique.

You're right it's not unique, but it is a HELL of a lot more common in certain regions.  https://www.hhs.gov/ash/oah/adolescent-development/reproductive-health-and-teen-pregnancy/teen-pregnancy-and-childbearing/trends/index.html  33 per 1000 births are to 15-19 year olds in Oklahoma, for example, versus 8 in Massachusetts.  That is a huge differential. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20923 on: September 18, 2018, 09:10:06 AM »

You must have a high deck or be at an elevation.
Attic adjustments? I haven't done any after I set mine up in 2010. A few minutes of work and years of free OTA PBS broadcasts. So Much Winning!

It's a 2nd story deck- over a walkout.
Our broadcast stations come from quite a distance. We usually have to make an adjustment in the summer and winter.

FIRE@50

• Bristles
« Reply #20924 on: September 18, 2018, 09:26:12 AM »
CW: "We are all only a couple paychecks away from being homeless."

Everyone in the room makes over $80k/year. No one questioned the statement.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20925 on: September 18, 2018, 09:39:46 AM »

Well, it might be a true statement.

oldladystache

• Bristles
« Reply #20926 on: September 18, 2018, 10:17:51 AM »

You didn't question it?  No one else did for the same reason.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20927 on: September 18, 2018, 11:43:15 AM »

Say something to CW privately.  Keep your mouth shut about finances in a room full of coworkers

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #20928 on: September 18, 2018, 12:11:02 PM »

Say something to CW privately.  Keep your mouth shut about finances in a room full of coworkers

It may depend on the company and its culture, but I've never found it unsafe to say something about "it depends on your priorities, I suppose, but I wouldn't want to live that way because it sounds stressful.

I mean, *homelessness*? Unless the group is predominately early-career, low-asset, student-loan-burdened people in their 20s, or people who are recovering from horrific setbacks, being that close to homelessness is a sign of extremely bad planning and spending decisions.

Nobody on this forum really foresees a day when our level of frugality becomes mainstream, however I don't see anything wrong with suggesting that living on the financial edge is really messed up.

Mesmoiselle

• Bristles
« Reply #20929 on: September 18, 2018, 12:41:45 PM »

Cry for help?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20930 on: September 18, 2018, 01:19:39 PM »

Cry for help?

I was in a lunchroom where this was said. I pointed to the lunch I brought from home and said: “Not me!”

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20931 on: September 18, 2018, 01:52:31 PM »

It may depend on the company and its culture, but I've never found it unsafe to say something about "it depends on your priorities, I suppose, but I wouldn't want to live that way because it sounds stressful.

I mean, *homelessness*? Unless the group is predominately early-career, low-asset, student-loan-burdened people in their 20s, or people who are recovering from horrific setbacks, being that close to homelessness is a sign of extremely bad planning and spending decisions.

Nobody on this forum really foresees a day when our level of frugality becomes mainstream, however I don't see anything wrong with suggesting that living on the financial edge is really messed up.

I've actually found a lot of job safety in being able to say (or strongly insinuate) "actually, I don't NEED this job. I have savings/we can make ends meet on one salary, I'm not stuck here and can leave anytime. So no, I won't falsify financial documents for a publicly-traded company/work every evening and weekend/listen to Unreasonable Coworker scream at me because 'that's just how she is' and you won't manager her." (All actual examples)

Some managers seem to rely on the knowledge that employees are broke and need the money so bad that they'll put up with ludicrous treatment.

Of course, I'm from Quebec, so baseline better job security than in the states, and I'm not afraid of being let go because of this.

YoungGranny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20932 on: September 19, 2018, 12:19:35 PM »
Just overheard a co-worker talking about their new lease on a SUV....$600 a month! I'm so far down the rabbit hole of mustachianism that's actually unfathomable to me. I mean that's also just about my half of the mortgage each month simply can't imagine spending that much on a car....

Also realizing I spent much less than that on my bike that's gotten me to and from work successfully for a few years now. Just genuinely shocked if that's a going rate for leasing a vehicle.

dreadmoose

• Stubble
  • Compounding
« Reply #20933 on: September 19, 2018, 01:38:08 PM »
Just talked to an old boss that was delighted to tell me about a new property that he bought on a lake 2300 kilometers away (that is only accessible by boat).

"It was a great deal, I had to cash out my RRSP's to do it but I figure I have 10 years of work left no matter what and my life insurance will cover my family if anything happens to me"

I had trouble keeping it positive through him telling me his kids are getting close to self-sufficient, that they'll have to fly out there to enjoy it over the next 10 years and through the fact that he wasn't going to retire to it but simply keep it as a place to visit forever as it's too impractical to live there...

I guess I don't know the details but can't really imagine it makes financial sense to cash out RRSP's with 10 years til retirement to buy a vacation property a minimum $500 per person flight away. Let alone the fact he is probably making above $200,000 a year and doesn't have anything saved outside of his RRSP's.

Dabnasty

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20934 on: September 19, 2018, 02:32:51 PM »
Just talked to an old boss that was delighted to tell me about a new property that he bought on a lake 2300 kilometers away (that is only accessible by boat).

"It was a great deal, I had to cash out my RRSP's to do it but I figure I have 10 years of work left no matter what and my life insurance will cover my family if anything happens to me"

I had trouble keeping it positive through him telling me his kids are getting close to self-sufficient, that they'll have to fly out there to enjoy it over the next 10 years and through the fact that he wasn't going to retire to it but simply keep it as a place to visit forever as it's too impractical to live there...

I guess I don't know the details but can't really imagine it makes financial sense to cash out RRSP's with 10 years til retirement to buy a vacation property a minimum $500 per person flight away. Let alone the fact he is probably making above $200,000 a year and doesn't have anything saved outside of his RRSP's.

Sometimes we post here because of little things that make no sense like buying coffee when there's free coffee. Other times it's because of the outrageous numbers for large purchases. The toughest ones to hear are the people with little saved for retirement when they could have been just fine if they had put away even a small percent in their retirement funds.

But this one has everything.

bluebelle

• Stubble
« Reply #20935 on: September 19, 2018, 02:55:12 PM »

I've actually found a lot of job safety in being able to say (or strongly insinuate) "actually, I don't NEED this job. I have savings/we can make ends meet on one salary, I'm not stuck here and can leave anytime. So no, I won't falsify financial documents for a publicly-traded company/work every evening and weekend/listen to Unreasonable Coworker scream at me because 'that's just how she is' and you won't manager her." (All actual examples)

Some managers seem to rely on the knowledge that employees are broke and need the money so bad that they'll put up with ludicrous treatment.

Of course, I'm from Quebec, so baseline better job security than in the states, and I'm not afraid of being let go because of this.

I try to operate under the tag line of "I need a job, just not THIS job".  It's a mindset that keeps me from being pushed around too much.  I still remember saying to an old boss who was being particularily shitty - "if you're trying to get me to quit, say so, and I'll be gone in 30 minutes, and I'll have another job by the time I hit the lobby".....he was alot better (for a while, hence "old boss")

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20936 on: September 20, 2018, 08:23:11 AM »

$200,000 income - so theres at least a 42% tax on his withdrawal. The withdrawal is added on top of his working income. So a $100,000 property would take $172,000 from his RRSP to cover.

I'm sure it was a good deal! I love paying massive taxes on a deal...

talltexan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20937 on: September 20, 2018, 09:51:02 AM »
why wouldn't you finance with that kind of tax implication on a cash deal?

dreadmoose

• Stubble
  • Compounding
« Reply #20938 on: September 20, 2018, 11:50:59 AM »
why wouldn't you finance with that kind of tax implication on a cash deal?

I didn't want to dig into it too much but from knowing him I assume he head to pull the down payment out of his RRSP's and will have a mortgage on the property as well.

The more I think about it the worse it gets. I can't imagine he paid cash for a property while making all those other mistakes.

DutchGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20939 on: September 22, 2018, 12:59:39 PM »
At my employer's headquarters, they're experimenting with having a barista at a mobile "coffee bar" during some hours of the day. Coffee is going to cost between 1.50 and 2 euros, depending on how fancy you want it to be. So that's okay-ish.

I do plan on trying it once when I visit the headquarters (normally I don't work there). But I think there will be plenty of folks who will go there every day or multiple times per day.

All the while there are also coffee machines that produce reasonable quality coffee, espresso, hot water and some other options, a rich choice of 12 different types of tea - all of these drinks are for free. Plus the break rooms have multiple fridges for any other drinks or food you might want to bring in with you. Two nice supermarkets within walking distance...

Steeze

• Stubble
« Reply #20940 on: September 22, 2018, 08:48:18 PM »
The guys at work are over thier crypto histaria, not a single person involved came out ahead.

Now their conversation has turned to weed stocks. They are excited about the huge gains and are piling in extra cash to take advantage of the opportunity.

I asked them how they choose which one to buy and got answers such as "must be trading at less than 10$ a share" and "this one has a cool name" and "this company has some technology that extracts stuff like THC"

I asked them if they were concerned about earnings at all, and said they should be considering the p/e ratio not the quoted price. Too bad these companies have negative earnings or are trading at 1000x.

They think I am from the stone age for indexing.. it's hard to watch people making less than me throw thier money away on a hope of getting rich.

They would be better off buying real weed and just having fun on the weekends. Sad.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #20941 on: September 23, 2018, 05:21:26 PM »
They would be better off buying real weed and just having fun on the weekends. Sad.

Ha ha ha.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #20942 on: September 23, 2018, 08:07:58 PM »
The guys at work are over thier crypto histaria, not a single person involved came out ahead.

Now their conversation has turned to weed stocks. They are excited about the huge gains and are piling in extra cash to take advantage of the opportunity.

I asked them how they choose which one to buy and got answers such as "must be trading at less than 10$ a share" and "this one has a cool name" and "this company has some technology that extracts stuff like THC"

I asked them if they were concerned about earnings at all, and said they should be considering the p/e ratio not the quoted price. Too bad these companies have negative earnings or are trading at 1000x.

They think I am from the stone age for indexing.. it's hard to watch people making less than me throw thier money away on a hope of getting rich.

Plus it seems like they are super late to any good trades that existed

« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 08:11:07 PM by dragoncar »

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20943 on: September 24, 2018, 01:33:32 AM »
Not a case of shame, but just worry.

One of my colleagues is leaving the company soon for a new job. His wife has become permanently incapable of working, so he is now a single earner. She gets a certain disability income which is lower than her former job. The colleague is in his new job getting a salary that is higher than his current and it even compensates for his wife's lower income. So far so good. They also have 2 children. The new job is a further away than his current job, but there is a good train connection.

This summer they spontaneously bought another house. They just moved in last weekend. The house was more expensive than their previous, but with the new salary, this went well. They just had to sell the old house. Several weeks/months have passed now and the old house hasn't sold. There is just no one coming to the viewings. My colleague is getting a bit anxious. They are now lowering the advertising price of the old house.

I know from experience that selling a house late, will make that the new person moves in later, and that you get your money later. All that time, you will have to finance that old house with a mortgage. In my colleague's case, a temporary second mortgage.

I am getting a bit nervous on his behalf. I have mentioned the idea of renting our the old house for some period, which might be better than not selling it. He will also be totally depending on that new high salary. As his wife has fatigue, he is also the one who needs to do all the work at home. I am wondering whether the new job with higher responsibility, the longer commute and all the work at home won't wear him out. And now a house that doesn't sell as well on top of that.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 03:41:44 AM by Linda_Norway »

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20944 on: September 24, 2018, 03:33:39 AM »

One of my colleagues is leaving the company soon for a new job. His wife has become permanently incapable of working, so he is now a single earner. She gets a certain disability income which is lower than her former job. The colleague is in his new job getting a salary that is higher than his current and it even compensates for his wife's lower income. So far so good. They also have 2 children. The new job is a further away than his current job, but there is a good train connection.

This is such a sad story. They were faced with setbacks, found a way to recover from that, and now they're making their life intentionally harder than it could be. They're doing it to themselves, but all you want to say is probably "noooooooooooooooooooooo".... :(

Dabnasty

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20945 on: September 24, 2018, 07:45:33 AM »

Oh geez, I've got one of these and they like to give me frequent updates on how their pot stock is doing. They asked a lot of questions about what I do with my money because they know I'm interested in investing but despite my advice that buying individual stocks based on legalization in Canada and some article you read is a very bad idea, they went for it anyway. Not a lot of money so not too big of a deal but the worst part is... It's up >100% in the last 6 weeks. He's pretty confident this $500 investment will be worth $10,000 in 10-20 years. This short term (very)good luck is teaching the wrong lesson.

Oh, and this isn't fun money "invest 1-10% of your savings" kind of stock picking. This is everything they've saved outside of a 401k after working here for more than a year. Fortunately they did take the advice to contribute enough for the full match and not just the 100% matched portion.

Oh, and that reminds me of some more bullshit. They asked our 401k advisors what to invest in to make as much money as possible in a short period of time. This of course, is their stated investing strategy - I guess you gotta play catch up when you have 0 retirement savings in your 40's... But anyway, the advisors response was to go heavy in the BlackRock Health Sciences fund with ~1% fees because "healthcare costs are going up". We also have VFIAX and Vanguard target retirement funds available.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 07:54:19 AM by Dabnasty »

economista

• Bristles
« Reply #20946 on: September 24, 2018, 08:30:22 AM »
My husband recently started a new job and they have a 401k plan that kicks in after 6 months. Their company matches 4% and you are auto-enrolled in 4%, so if you don't want the free money you have to go in and change it. On Friday a few of my husband's team members were talking about it and putting notices on their calendars to go in and change their contributions on the day they hit their 6 months, because they can't imagine living with smaller paychecks than they get now. My husband pointed out to them that they are leaving free money on the table by not even contributing up to the match, but they said it doesn't matter because they have bills and can't possibly live without that money. (I calculated it out and 4% pre-tax is $83 per paycheck for them - all new employees have the same salary on his team). My husband pointed out to them that he is changing his to contribute 10% right off the bat, and then once we get a handle on the expenses associated with our new house it will likely go up from there. They told him he is crazy. He decided it wasn't a good idea to tell them that I contribute over 10% to mine, and that our goal for 2019 is to max out both of them! He is an entry level job even though he is 37 - his coworkers are all really young, with most of them being just out of college. Hopefully his good habits will start to rub off on them.

carolinap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20947 on: September 24, 2018, 11:48:05 AM »
Overheard with friends, but we really don't need another thread

Me and some friends were in a friends' house, watching a game on TV. The refrigerator wasn't working so Friend A offered to pay for ice to be delivered. My friends are the type that wouldn't bother and wouldn't pay for it but she insisted and pay for it. It was probably R$ 30 for ice.

Then after the game we were deciding how to go home, what was the easiest way to the subway, etc. Friend A says she doesn't know how to take the subway anymore, didn't do that in the last 8 years, even if we live in a city with good and reliable public transportation. She offered to take a cab (R$ 55, as opposed to the R$ 6 bus+subway alternative) and give a ride for me and another friend, and she would pay. We accepted.

In the cab she was talking (not bragging, it was something normal for her) about expensive restaurants, wines and the international honeymoon she had this year. I could get the sense that her lifestyle is really really expensive.

But also, she said she worked 10+ hours a day and would tomorrow (sunday), and didn't like here current workplace.

For me it wasn't a "shame and comedy" moment, just a realization that this was the kind of work-life balance I don't want for me. It's difficult for me to believe that people are truly happy this way, R$ 300 dinners can't compensate that kind of workload.

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
« Reply #20948 on: September 24, 2018, 12:12:21 PM »
I was going through my usual routine, gassing up the truck to get from one work location to another, and heard this conversation that made me think nothing other than "OH SHIT" for the next five minutes.

Person 1 - Oh yea, the government has been looking at all my accounts now.

Person 2 - Why do they need to know what you have in your account?

Person 1 - Well I got my social security disability payout and they said it was only supposed to be for medical expenses, so I went ahead and bought a handicap accessible house. My lawyer said it wasn't supposed to be used for that, but there's nothin' they can do about it now because I spent it all and its gone! Right?

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20949 on: September 24, 2018, 01:24:17 PM »

This is such a sad story. They were faced with setbacks, found a way to recover from that, and now they're making their life intentionally harder than it could be. They're doing it to themselves, but all you want to say is probably "noooooooooooooooooooooo".... :(

I would assume perhaps there were medical issues involved and maybe they needed a new house that helped ease constraints of his wife's condition (e.g. maybe ground floor master, etc).

I don't really see anything anti-mustachian or comedic when tragedy strikes and people try to deal with it. Not everybody has the money to float 2 houses.