Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252751 times)

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #16800 on: March 01, 2017, 03:06:46 PM »
Yup.  When we were buying our house, we were visiting with my husband's parents.  I can't remember if they were visiting us, or us them (opposite coasts).  MIL: but where will WE sleep?

Me: On the sofabed in the living room!  Or in a hotel!  For the once every 2 years you guys come, I'm not spending an extra $100,000 for the extra bedroom. Can pay for a lot of hotels!
I have a close relative that does this.  Went from a 4,000sq ft house worth half a million to a 900 sq ft house that she bought for $15k (and then renovated it with her husband).  She's more than willing to put up guests in a hotel when they visit, if they're not comfortable on their sofa.

Most of my guests are staying with me for their convenience, not mine.  I have a sofa bed they are welcome to use and will share my bathroom with them, but done are my days of feeling that I have to have a bedroom just for the 1-3 times a year that I may have a guest in town. 

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16801 on: March 01, 2017, 04:08:07 PM »
A coworker is trying to sell a "designer's" crib for $350, paid $500 for it.

We paid $25 for our crib, used. Our kids haven't complained that it was not "design" enough for them to sleep in when they were babies. Fingers crossed that our kids don't realize how awesome of a crib they could have had, had we spent 15 times the amount we did.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #16802 on: March 01, 2017, 06:11:00 PM »

We paid $25 for our crib, used. Our kids haven't complained that it was not "design" enough for them to sleep in when they were babies. Fingers crossed that our kids don't realize how awesome of a crib they could have had, had we spent 15 times the amount we did.

Sounds like your kids were really deprived!! ;)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16803 on: March 01, 2017, 11:40:57 PM »
Yup.  When we were buying our house, we were visiting with my husband's parents.  I can't remember if they were visiting us, or us them (opposite coasts).  MIL: but where will WE sleep?

Me: On the sofabed in the living room!  Or in a hotel!  For the once every 2 years you guys come, I'm not spending an extra $100,000 for the extra bedroom. Can pay for a lot of hotels!
I have a close relative that does this.  Went from a 4,000sq ft house worth half a million to a 900 sq ft house that she bought for $15k (and then renovated it with her husband).  She's more than willing to put up guests in a hotel when they visit, if they're not comfortable on their sofa.

My brother in law has also told us that there are 2 houses with airB&B in their street and that visitors can stay there instead. Smart. Do I like it as a guest: not really. But that is not his problem.
Linda what don't you like about it? We have one spare room (used as an office/storage) that we host guests in, but if there's more people than the house can hold, airbnb has been our go to. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on downsides to this.

My purpose is visiting them, not a bunch of strangers in another house. I might end up in a house with smokers. And I would not like to pay for it. BIL did not mention who would pay.
I would rather sleep on a mattrass on the floor in their house.
Last time we ended up visiting them only during daytime on our way to another location.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16804 on: March 02, 2017, 12:23:05 AM »
You guys I have a back yard, a sleeping bag, and a sky full of stars

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16805 on: March 02, 2017, 06:50:38 AM »

We actually often have people camp over. Kids especially love it. We usually limit it to summer, get a campfire going, and all have a brilliant time! They key is don't stop drinking until the tent is up :)

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #16806 on: March 02, 2017, 08:35:04 AM »

LOL I had a co-worker several years back who was getting ready for the birth of his first child. He started telling me about the extremely high-end, fancypants jogging stroller he had just bought, and I shit you not, said something along the lines of how his infant child would "really know he was loved" because he had bought it such a nice stroller. I replied with "Wow, sounds pretty nice. (pause) So, what kind of stroller did you have when you were a baby?"

He looked at me like I was completely nuts and said "I don't remember!" Then, after a brief pause, said "Oh...."

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #16807 on: March 02, 2017, 08:47:14 AM »
I shit you not, said something along the lines of how his infant child would "really know he was loved" because he had bought it such a nice stroller.

Everybody knows how much you love your kids is directly proportional to the amount of money you spend on them.

BJacks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16808 on: March 02, 2017, 08:59:18 AM »
The coworker I posted about earlier is still having problems.

Over the weekend her husband had some tattoos done. They had to come up with $500 to pay for holding the house they're going to rent once their house closes. She had to borrow money from her parents in order to pay it. They've known that this would be happening for over a month. She actually told him before he had it done that he would regret it (financially) but he whined and complained because 'he never gets to do anything for him'.

Apparently her sister would only be willing to loan them the money if they all went through their last months bank statements together.

She bought me a coffee and a doughnut on her way back from pumping which was really sweet but all I could think was honey you are broke!

Yesterday she was to tired to make the grilled cheese sandwiches that she had planned for dinner so they got pizza delivered. $40. Grilled cheese!

I also found out that they're going to invest $15,000 from the sale of their house in the realtor/contractor husband and wife team that they used to sell their house. Their reasoning was that it was worth the risk because they would just spend it if it was in their account. Using it to pay off more debt didn't enter into their minds.

It all just makes be really sad for her.

Carless

• Stubble
« Reply #16809 on: March 02, 2017, 09:01:27 AM »

LOL I had a co-worker several years back who was getting ready for the birth of his first child. He started telling me about the extremely high-end, fancypants jogging stroller he had just bought, and I shit you not, said something along the lines of how his infant child would "really know he was loved" because he had bought it such a nice stroller. I replied with "Wow, sounds pretty nice. (pause) So, what kind of stroller did you have when you were a baby?"

He looked at me like I was completely nuts and said "I don't remember!" Then, after a brief pause, said "Oh...."

This is pure comedy gold.  Well done.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #16810 on: March 02, 2017, 09:24:47 AM »
Did that at my granddad's with a 1 person popup tent. Woke up at 4am with a migraine and wet feet. English weather sucks!
Best tip if you do, the cold comes from the ground, not from the air! Having a 2cm airbed is not insulation and you'll wake up ice cold in mildly cold weather :s

Most of my guests are staying with me for their convenience, not mine.  I have a sofa bed they are welcome to use and will share my bathroom with them, but done are my days of feeling that I have to have a bedroom just for the 1-3 times a year that I may have a guest in town. 
My dad often sleeps over when he's visiting from England, we have a double bed in the attick. Only downside is that it doesn't have a door so open sound connection to the lower level (where our 3 bedrooms and bathroom is). Unfortenatly he also sometimes brings over his GF and they stay at a hotel, he's welcome and he knows it but appearently privacy with her exceeds our offer of free room and board :P

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16811 on: March 02, 2017, 11:51:00 AM »

My brother in law has also told us that there are 2 houses with airB&B in their street and that visitors can stay there instead. Smart. Do I like it as a guest: not really. But that is not his problem.
Linda what don't you like about it? We have one spare room (used as an office/storage) that we host guests in, but if there's more people than the house can hold, airbnb has been our go to. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on downsides to this.

My purpose is visiting them, not a bunch of strangers in another house. I might end up in a house with smokers. And I would not like to pay for it. BIL did not mention who would pay.
Last time we ended up visiting them only during daytime on our way to another location.

I agree.

Also, if someone came to visit me I would be sad if they stayed in a hotel instead of at my house. Though at the moment I'd understand, because I got rid of my bed and am sleeping on the futon. There are no other bed options in my house besides an air mattress at the moment.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16812 on: March 02, 2017, 12:38:43 PM »

I agree.

Also, if someone came to visit me I would be sad if they stayed in a hotel instead of at my house. Though at the moment I'd understand, because I got rid of my bed and am sleeping on the futon. There are no other bed options in my house besides an air mattress at the moment.
The assumption here is that you really do have extra space for them.
Then again, we've slept 4 people in our 500' studio in addition to me, husband, and cat.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #16813 on: March 02, 2017, 12:53:43 PM »

I agree.

[/quote]
The assumption here is that you really do have extra space for them.
Then again, we've slept 4 people in our 500' studio in addition to me, husband, and cat.
[/quote]

My in-laws stay in a hotel when they come to visit.  At first, I was offended, because we have a ton of space, and this would be unheard of on my side of the family.  Now, I appreciate it because, they are lovely people, but have some peculiar habits and requirements, and I can just enjoy their company for several hours a day, but not cater to their peculiarities.  They seem to feel more comfortable this way too.  My family members know how to make themselves at home and just adapt to the environment, so it's not stressful having them stay at our house.  There is an art to being a good houseguest that has nothing to do with bringing the right bottle of wine.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16814 on: March 02, 2017, 01:35:29 PM »

Totally made me laugh out loud!

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16815 on: March 02, 2017, 03:00:47 PM »

Totally made me laugh out loud!
Clearly the dude didn't have a fancy jogging stroller, or he totally would have remembered it.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16816 on: March 03, 2017, 08:50:38 AM »

I wish I could think that fast on the fly. 

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16817 on: March 03, 2017, 09:32:36 AM »

My kids slept in an orange crate. Oh wait, that was El Chapo...

LivlongnProsper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • It's a new day, anything is possible.
« Reply #16818 on: March 03, 2017, 02:28:32 PM »
My youngests "crib" was made from a piece of shelving liberated from the garage. It was in my bathroom, half in my shower. Before that he slept in our room with us but he got to the point that if he woke up and saw us it was game over for any sleep. After the move smooth sailing.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #16819 on: March 03, 2017, 09:29:23 PM »
Finally have a story for this thread! (At least, I think it's my first).

I'm a grad student, so my "coworkers" are mostly grad students. Virtually all of the students in my college, engineering, are funded through a teaching assistant (TA) or research assistant (RA) position. As RAs, we get paid around $26k and have our tuition waived. This money comes out of a professor's research funds. TAs get paid somewhat less than that and also have our tuition waived, with that money coming out of the department's funds.

All professors here do their best to find funding for the students in their labs (they're hired as RAs). If a professor who is low on funding is approached by a student who wants him/her as a advisor, such a professor would simply say they don't have funding available and would instruct the student to find a different advisor. However, occasionally a professor has trouble finding funding for students after they've been hired (professors are not required to have 5 years of funding for a student on hand when they hire one).

One of my friends, unfortunately, is in that position. Her advisor wasn't able to find funding for her this semester. It happens sometimes. But here's the antimustachian part: her advisor recommended she not find a TA position, because it would slow her down from graduating, and instead just take out student loans.

Yeah. Take out student loans when a perfectly viable job is available (and my friend did disregard her advisor's advice and found a TA position). But remember, without a TA or RA position, my friend would not only have to pay for living expenses but also tuition, which is $14k a semester. Granted, TAing takes about 10-15 hours a week (though some classes will require closer to 20), so yes, it does slow her down from graduating. But seriously?

A cynic would say that the professor is being selfish. Before this incident, my friend told me several times her prof is trying to transition to an administrator role and wants to graduate her students as soon as possible.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16820 on: March 04, 2017, 08:01:12 AM »
Yeah. Take out student loans when a perfectly viable job is available (and my friend did disregard her advisor's advice and found a TA position). But remember, without a TA or RA position, my friend would not only have to pay for living expenses but also tuition, which is $14k a semester. Granted, TAing takes about 10-15 hours a week (though some classes will require closer to 20), so yes, it does slow her down from graduating. But seriously?
Good for your friend!  I found TAing to be not as demanding as it sounds.  Even with a full course load, I was able to handle the extra 15 hours/week with no problem.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16821 on: March 04, 2017, 10:01:20 AM »
Good for your friend!  I found TAing to be not as demanding as it sounds.  Even with a full course load, I was able to handle the extra 15 hours/week with no problem.
My husband TA'd on TOP of RA'ing a few times (when they couldn't find a qualified TA), and ended up teaching the class many times when the prof was out of town.  Of course, that's going to happen when you are on the 7 year PhD plan.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16822 on: March 04, 2017, 12:11:47 PM »
But remember, without a TA or RA position, my friend would not only have to pay for living expenses but also tuition, which is $14k a semester. Granted, TAing takes about 10-15 hours a week (though some classes will require closer to 20), so yes, it does slow her down from graduating. But seriously?

That TA job works out to $47-$93/hour just for the waived tuition, assuming a 15 week semester... It would be insane to pass that up just to graduate a little sooner.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 12:15:06 PM by RWD »

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #16823 on: March 04, 2017, 12:54:04 PM »

I agree. Just because she has to spend 15 hrs/wk on other stuff doesn't necessarily mean it's a reduction of time spent on research by 15 hrs/wk. There's only so many hours in a day one can spend on the same problem before exhausting ideas for the day.

But remember, without a TA or RA position, my friend would not only have to pay for living expenses but also tuition, which is $14k a semester. Granted, TAing takes about 10-15 hours a week (though some classes will require closer to 20), so yes, it does slow her down from graduating. But seriously?

That TA job works out to $47-$93/hour just for the waived tuition, assuming a 15 week semester... It would be insane to pass that up just to graduate a little sooner.

Yeah, which is why I was surprised to hear her professor recommended loans. Until then I had never heard of any professor doing every thing they could to find funding for their students, and if that failed, finding alternatives - e.g. one of my friends' profs got my friend a summer internship because the prof couldn't find her funding and there's fewer TA positions available in the summer.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16824 on: March 04, 2017, 02:06:51 PM »
Having TA and/or RA on a resume is good too.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16825 on: March 04, 2017, 07:29:49 PM »

Do you really?

A sky full of stars seems so rare nowadays, with all the light pollution.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #16826 on: March 04, 2017, 08:48:55 PM »

Do you really?

All the more wonderful for those who have it. I camped out in Moab, Utah last summer and the stars were so thick and bright I couldn't see the dark spaces between them. I truly had trouble picking out the constellations. Mosquitos ate me alive, though: I did something dumb and camped by the river the first night. Didn't make that mistake again.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16827 on: March 05, 2017, 05:58:15 AM »

Do you really?

I do. :)

Nangirl17

• Stubble
« Reply #16828 on: March 05, 2017, 06:05:51 AM »

Do you really?

I do. :)

Username checks out.

SwedishMoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16829 on: March 05, 2017, 11:08:02 AM »
My co-worker has a very high-maintenance girlfriend.

By high maintenance, i mean that she demands and gets so that he pays everything for her. They are 21 (her) and 25 (him) respectively. They live in a 250 000$ apartment in sweden's second-largest city, right smack in the middle of town. He does not own the place, or the mortgage, but is paying rent to HER father (who has the loan). But it's okay - because once he's paid off 10 000$, the father is going to GIVE him the apartment. yep. 250 000$ apartment. For free. With a loan.

The financial acumen of this kid is not to be trifled with. (i say kid, though i'm 5-6 years his senior :P).

I know for a fact he pays her medication, food, dog clothes, restaurant visits, an assortment of makeups and so forth. So today he asks me.

CW: So, do you know what graphics card to get? I really want to be able to play more CS:GO, and with better FPS than i have now.
Me: Yeah, sure. Computer specs? Alright. You should go for this card. (160$ card linked).
CW: What about a screen? I'm thinking about one of those 4k screen. Is this one good.
Me: Yeah, that one's good. It's also 900$. You might wanna think that over.
CW: (Goes silent on Skype for a long time)
Me: Yo? Dude?
CW: Yeah, girlfriend wanted some new fitted bedsheets. I had to buy those. They're 700$, so now i have to wait a bit for the card and so on.
Me: Right. Yeah. Better check your financials.
CW: Wait til the 25th, then i'm gonna order sooooo much stuuuuuffffff!
Me: *Facepalming behind the computer*

That girlfriend is hot. No doubt about it. But -come on-.

Come on.

He earns, a fact i know since i'm the COO of the company, about 2200$ a month. Before taxes. Which is good for his age and the work he does, and good considering we're in sweden. (Wages are less here.)

Buuuut...i fear the dude's headed to an early financial ruin.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16830 on: March 05, 2017, 12:02:45 PM »

(stuff removed)

Come on.

He earns, a fact i know since i'm the COO of the company, about 2200$ a month. Before taxes. Which is good for his age and the work he does, and good considering we're in sweden. (Wages are less here.)

lets get this right... he'll be given a morgage for a 2 MSEK apartment in central Gbg, earns less than 20 KSEK a month before Swedish taxes (which is actually not a very high salary for a white collar job in Sweden, to be fair).  OK, I see where this is going.

20 K / month gives you the low tax rate of ~25%. (Yes, americans, that is low for Sweden).

The apartment might work out now when prices rise and interest is low, but I assume that a couple that young in a big city might have a resturant and nightlife cost which is ... not small.   And to have the perfect interior and lifestyle ... oh dear.

SwedishMoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16831 on: March 05, 2017, 12:09:43 PM »

(stuff removed)

Come on.

lets get this right... he'll be given a morgage for a 2 MSEK apartment in central Gbg, earns less than 20 KSEK a month before Swedish taxes (which is actually not a very high salary for a white collar job in Sweden, to be fair).  OK, I see where this is going.

20 K / month gives you the low tax rate of ~25%. (Yes, americans, that is low for Sweden).

The apartment might work out now when prices rise and interest is low, but I assume that a couple that young in a big city might have a resturant and nightlife cost which is ... not small.   And to have the perfect interior and lifestyle ... oh dear.

I probably should have clarified that he works 80%, not 100%. At 100% that would indeed be a salary on the low end, but given that he lacks any education above high school...well...maybe i'm conservative, but i consider that to be pretty good!

Oh - she also doesn't work, and they only shop at the central/urban grocery store that costs about 1/3rd as much as "regular", cheaper ones. Adding to the awesomeness.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16832 on: March 05, 2017, 12:26:11 PM »
I probably should have clarified that he works 80%, not 100%. At 100% that would indeed be a salary on the low end, but given that he lacks any education above high school...well...maybe i'm conservative, but i consider that to be pretty good!

OK, that is good then.  Most people in my company have university education, and the ones that don't have equal skills...  but on the other hand, I'm from a smaller city where salaries are usually lower.

Oh - she also doesn't work, and they only shop at the central/urban grocery store that costs about 1/3rd as much as "regular", cheaper ones. Adding to the awesomeness.

I suspected as much. Lifestyle inflation. At least no car, I hope? Just parking would be a killer if you live in the city...

SwedishMoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16833 on: March 05, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »

OK, that is good then.  Most people in my company have university education, and the ones that don't have equal skills...  but on the other hand, I'm from a smaller city where salaries are usually lower.

I suspected as much. Lifestyle inflation. At least no car, I hope? Just parking would be a killer if you live in the city...

Ditto! Same, also from the countryside :).

And no. No car. Not for lack of trying though. The poor guy lost his license due to an...incident.

rinny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16834 on: March 05, 2017, 07:35:32 PM »

Her: Well, at least I won't be spending $ on that every day.
Me: Yeah, that's great! How much is it?
Her: 5 something.
Me: That's over $17,000 if you invested it for 10 years.
Her: What is it if I don't invest it?... cuz that's not happening.
Me: $1,200/year, still a good chunk of $.
Her: Yeah, that's not that much...I'm sure I'll spend that on something else

how do you do that math in your head?

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16835 on: March 05, 2017, 08:21:45 PM »

It's probably just rough estimation. $5/day is more precisely $1,825/year (or $1,300/year for work days only), not $1,200/year.

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #16836 on: March 06, 2017, 01:45:10 AM »
1200$/yr corresponds to 48 working weeks. Seems like a pretty accurate calculation to me.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16837 on: March 06, 2017, 02:56:14 AM »

It's probably just rough estimation. $5/day is more precisely $1,825/year (or $1,300/year for work days only), not $1,200/year.

I know how much some things are in my head not because I can work it out on the spot but because I've calculated it before for myself. Maybe Maverick44 had crunched the numbers on £5/day over a working year before.

Maverick44

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16838 on: March 06, 2017, 04:27:37 AM »
I had done it using 48 working weeks for work days only. I did the $1,200/yr part in my head, but I have an app of Financial calculators that I quickly punched the investment calculation into to get the 17000+ figure. I use that app for any potential recurring purchase, large purchase or just to see where my retirement projections are versus where I am now. Love it

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #16839 on: March 06, 2017, 04:47:38 AM »

On the plus side, "Her" understands the fungibility of money. Don't spend it on one thing, spend it on something else that brings greater joy.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #16840 on: March 06, 2017, 09:36:28 AM »

On the plus side, "Her" understands the fungibility of money. Don't spend it on one thing, spend it on something else that brings greater joy.

ME: Due to the fungibility of money, I lowered my orange mochafrappucino expense to $0/year
You: How?
ME: I cut vegetables out of my grocery shopping.

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #16841 on: March 07, 2017, 08:18:34 AM »

Since it was indicated that the money is invested, I think it goes more like this:

$5 a day x 20 working days/month = $100/month

Compound growth factor for monthly amount over 10 years: 177
Compound growth factor for monthly amount over 15 years: 350
Compound growth factor for monthly amount over 20 years: 530

so, $100/month x 177 = $17,700 per 10 year period if money is invested monthly. Note: compound growth factors assume 7% nominal return (inflation adjusted) which corresponds with historical performance of S&P500/VTSAX etc

LadyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Fire by Thirty-Five
« Reply #16842 on: March 07, 2017, 09:19:55 PM »
Just overheard the guy sitting next to me pay 'the balance' of his kids birthday pay. $175 for a child under 10.

Swiftly followed by "I can't use the auto recharge on my bus ticket, I never have the money in my account"

Auto-recharge can be set as low as $20....

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16843 on: March 07, 2017, 09:52:56 PM »
Just overheard the guy sitting next to me pay 'the balance' of his kids birthday pay. $175 for a child under 10.

Is that a typo?  Did you mean "birthday party" (which would still be quite the party for a 10yo)?  Or does his kid earn money by staying alive?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #16844 on: March 07, 2017, 10:27:52 PM »

Is that a typo?  Did you mean "birthday party" (which would still be quite the party for a 10yo)?  Or does his kid earn money by staying alive?

Wow I didn't even catch that. I was reading quickly and my brain automatically filled in party instead of pay (and I agree, $175 for a 10 yo's birthday party is still way too much, let alone a $175 cash birthday present).

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16845 on: March 08, 2017, 06:44:31 AM »
So this wasn't strictly overheard at work, but in a discussion with a former colleague.

"So we were looking at our monthly costs, and realized we were paying all this money for gym memberships that we never really used.  And we wanted to spend money in line with our priorities.  So we decided to rent space in a wine cellar."

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16846 on: March 08, 2017, 07:43:10 AM »
Heard at lunch today: I never eat food that is past the "best before" date.
Luckily there were a number of people at the same table who do eat dried food past the best before date.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 09:24:15 AM by Linda_Norway »

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16847 on: March 08, 2017, 07:56:26 AM »

Wow I didn't even catch that. I was reading quickly and my brain automatically filled in party instead of pay (and I agree, $175 for a 10 yo's birthday party is still way too much, let alone a $175 cash birthday present).

Paid around that for my daughter's 4th birthday party.  Couple hours at Chuck E Cheese's, it's like $12/kid including food, drink, tokens, etc.  Had ~12-15 kids.  The appeal is that all you bring is money, there's no cleaning the house before and after, no running around buying and preparing food, decorations, etc etc.  Show up, pay, leave.  Sure beats having 12-15 4-5y/os running around my house. 

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16848 on: March 08, 2017, 09:34:44 AM »
A co-worker was asking for advise today on framing out an unfinished basement. He has a large family (wife and 6 kids) and they just had a house built last summer. It's a McMansion for sure. He's trying to do the basement work himself because they spent all their money buying the house. I heard him say there would be 3 bathrooms in the basement. That perked my ears up so I asked how many he has now. He said 5 and a half. So when the basement is finished he'll have 8.5 bathrooms for 8 people. I was so shocked that I didn't have a response.

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 09:36:44 AM by Mr. Green »

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #16849 on: March 08, 2017, 10:13:31 AM »
A co-worker was asking for advise today on framing out an unfinished basement. He has a large family (wife and 6 kids) and they just had a house built last summer. It's a McMansion for sure. He's trying to do the basement work himself because they spent all their money buying the house. I heard him say there would be 3 bathrooms in the basement. That perked my ears up so I asked how many he has now. He said 5 and a half. So when the basement is finished he'll have 8.5 bathrooms for 8 people. I was so shocked that I didn't have a response.

Always a good practice to have more shitters than you have butts. I mean, what if a guest is over and everyone gets food poisoning with explosive diarrhea at the EXACT SAME TIME?