Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13266494 times)

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #14800 on: September 12, 2016, 11:23:37 AM »
Add me to the list of people who've read every page of this thread while bored at work over the course of the last 6-ish months :)

We had a mandatory 401k meeting at work this morning. They are increasing the employer match from $0.25 for each $1 up to 4% to $0.25 of each $1 up to 8%. It's still kinda crap, but at least it's 2% now instead of 1%. Except apparently no one can figure out what those numbers mean, and no one knew what our match was before, and it's impossible to save 8%? I don't know, I haven't taken a math class since remedial college algebra in 2005 so I'm pretty sure it doesn't take some crazy math genius to be able to figure that out.

Oh well, it's still more money for me, even if no one else can save that much! ;)

Perhaps your options are better than mine..... I have a dollar-for-dollar match up to six percent so the fact that we only have high-fee mutual fund choices doesn't bother me. At a dollar-for-four up to eight percent, I hope you have some good choices.

"no one knew what our match was before, and it's impossible to save 8%?"

Do you colleges not know that they get an income tax deduction putting money into their 401K? In Canada our analogue is the RRSP and giving 8% of pre-tax dollars only affects take-home pay by 5.2%. Less if you have children (ex. if you make 80K and have one child, I think the number would be around 3.2%).

Zx

• Bristles
« Reply #14801 on: September 12, 2016, 11:26:26 AM »
 Another guy at my job was complaining on payday last week. He is 30 years old. He is paying for two brand-new cars, paying for a house, has a live-in girlfriend that contributes 500 bucks a month and has $10,000 in credit card debt. He makes over $100,000 a year and he is complaining that he's always broke because he's trying to pay off credit cards. That's the only reason he's broke, you see. He has that credit card debt. No other reason.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14802 on: September 12, 2016, 11:31:47 AM »
Do you colleagues not know that they get an income tax deduction putting money into their 401K?

But how would I be able to spend it if I put it in a 401k??? I would guess at least half of working adults don't fully understand how income tax works and the real benefit of saving ~30 cents in tax for every dollar deferred.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14803 on: September 12, 2016, 01:16:07 PM »
Another guy at my job was complaining on payday last week. He is 30 years old. He is paying for two brand-new cars, paying for a house, has a live-in girlfriend that contributes 500 bucks a month and has $10,000 in credit card debt. He makes over $100,000 a year and he is complaining that he's always broke because he's trying to pay off credit cards. That's the only reason he's broke, you see. He has that credit card debt. No other reason.

For CW's sake, I hope girlfriend doesn't disappear about the same time the balance on the CC goes to zero.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14804 on: September 12, 2016, 03:27:29 PM »

I can kinda sort-of understand why he is fooled into thinking that the CC is the only reason he is in debt. The other things you list he believes are necessary. He can also derive daily utility from them: they look nice and he puts his body in them. Whereas the CC debt is probably from things that no longer provide utility like past meals at restaurants, gas, gifts for other people, etc....

(If you noticed the sexual innuendo, thanks. If you didn't, please try to find it. I put lots of effort into it.)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14805 on: September 12, 2016, 03:29:55 PM »
(If you noticed the sexual innuendo, thanks. If you didn't, please try to find it. I put lots of effort into it.)

I applaud this.

Zx

• Bristles
« Reply #14806 on: September 12, 2016, 04:33:18 PM »

I can kinda sort-of understand why he is fooled into thinking that the CC is the only reason he is in debt. The other things you list he believes are necessary. He can also derive daily utility from them: they look nice and he puts his body in them. Whereas the CC debt is probably from things that no longer provide utility like past meals at restaurants, gas, gifts for other people, etc....

I didn't notice it until you shamelessly plugged yourself...then I had to read it twice.

It's worse than I stated, though. She got an, ahem, 'augmentation' done which in his mind improves her appearance even more. He paid for half, so now he gets to say that she can't leave him, half of those belong to him.

She gets to go out with her friends often because he's working all the time. On the off chance he has a night off, he gets into serious trouble should he choose to go out with his buds to do what guys do on a night out.

Her twin sister has received a huge block of ice as an engagement ring. He is now expected to beat that and just can't believe how it just keeps coming. When will he EVER be free of this indebted life?

In his mind, he will be free when he gets a raise. Well, he already GOT a raise...by far...when he got this job. He immediately bought two vehicles and a house, plus a few other lower ticket toys. Why he thinks he will be free with another raise is beyond me. In this frame of non-mustachian mind, a raise just gives you the breathing room you need to afford the jet ski and the trailer. And you could probably swing the 80" 4k flatscreen, too, then.

But I can only mock so much. That was ME for too long.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 04:35:13 PM by dagiffy1 »

Zx

• Bristles
« Reply #14807 on: September 12, 2016, 04:38:25 PM »

For CW's sake, I hope girlfriend doesn't disappear about the same time the balance on the CC goes to zero.

Exactly. From what I've heard, they've been together 3 years and she is very high maintenance. I don't know what she'd do if he closed the sugar daddy valve in a desperate bid to get solvent. He's not even investing into 401k. Not a cent. Oh it kills me that he could stop this, get serious, and be FIRE if he wanted to be in ten years. Easy. Within 3 to 4 years he will be making in the low 50's per hour and all the OT he could ever want.

Zx

• Bristles
« Reply #14808 on: September 12, 2016, 08:04:36 PM »
Add me to the list of people who've read every page of this thread while bored at work over the course of the last 6-ish months :)

We had a mandatory 401k meeting at work this morning. They are increasing the employer match from $0.25 for each $1 up to 4% to $0.25 of each $1 up to 8%. It's still kinda crap, but at least it's 2% now instead of 1%. Except apparently no one can figure out what those numbers mean, and no one knew what our match was before, and it's impossible to save 8%? I don't know, I haven't taken a math class since remedial college algebra in 2005 so I'm pretty sure it doesn't take some crazy math genius to be able to figure that out.

Oh well, it's still more money for me, even if no one else can save that much! ;)

Way to lean into it. Too bad you can't offer to take their match, too, if they aren't using it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #14809 on: September 12, 2016, 09:25:32 PM »
My coworker bought the brand new BMW to replace her recalled bug. I went and sat in ittoday, and it didn't seem that great.  Hope she can still retire in 2 years.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14810 on: September 12, 2016, 09:34:08 PM »
Coworker is online trying to buy FOUR new Apple iPhone 7s. His whole family needs to be upgraded at the same time. Having trouble with the website it must be overloaded. WTF.  He can afford it, but wow.

I like having apple products because they work together seamlessly, but I am so over the endless cycle of buying shit when there is nothing wrong with the current shit in our hands.

Tell your coworker I said thanks!

Also tell him that the 7+ in Jet Black with 128 or 256 gigs of memory is the best choice.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14811 on: September 13, 2016, 07:55:00 AM »
Coworker is online trying to buy FOUR new Apple iPhone 7s. His whole family needs to be upgraded at the same time. Having trouble with the website it must be overloaded. WTF.  He can afford it, but wow.

I like having apple products because they work together seamlessly, but I am so over the endless cycle of buying shit when there is nothing wrong with the current shit in our hands.

Also tell him that the 7+ in Jet Black with 128 or 256 gigs of memory is the best choice.
It is simply astonishing to me that Apple's flagship phone cost just a shade less than a cool grand.  And that's before you buy Apple's $160 ear buds or $30 case.  $1000.  For a phone. The mind boggles.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14812 on: September 13, 2016, 08:01:25 AM »

It is simply astonishing to me that Apple's flagship phone cost just a shade less than a cool grand.  And that's before you buy Apple's $160 ear buds or $30 case.  $1000.  For a phone. The mind boggles.

... And here I was feeling so luxurious with my Samsung S4+data plan.

You guys. It's an amazing camera (I've printed good-quality poster-sized images from photos taken on this phone), all my notes and lists, communication with everyone I care about in 3 different ways, my agenda, my books, the papers I read, apps for the communities I enjoy, music and videos to watch, maps and GPS, banking, tools for 2 side-gigs I run, access to almost all the information in the world, and it fits IN MY POCKET.

I STILL look at my phone and feel smugly pleased at everything I can do with it.

And was 1/3 of the price of the Apple phone, which, as far as I can tell, would perform the same function.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14813 on: September 13, 2016, 09:02:07 AM »

I sometimes think that.  Then I realize, that really - it's a computer.  When you put it in that context, it's not so crazy (I don't even remember what my first computer cost in 1995, a 486 or a Pentium).  Of course, you have to treat it like that (i.e., don't lose it or accidentally go swimming with it).

(For the record, when my most recent phone died - my first smart phone, my husband asked me if I wanted a new one.  The old one would *only* charge on the charger at home, and the charge would only last about as long as my work day.  I declined due to the cost of a new phone.  But then they went on sale a month or so later.  I have a Nexus, $250).

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14814 on: September 13, 2016, 09:22:29 AM »
Then again, my Republic Wireless phone was $99 and gives me nearly the same functionality.

Not all the bells/whistles and a worse camera, but for $900 I'll take it.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14815 on: September 13, 2016, 09:25:55 AM »

Uh huh! I feel decadent with my Samsung S7 that work bought me. My justification is that I do most of my work on my phone, and Skype with manufacturers so a premium phone is helpful.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14816 on: September 13, 2016, 09:30:53 AM »
Uh huh! I feel decadent with my Samsung S7 that work bought me. My justification is that I do most of my work on my phone, and Skype with manufacturers so a premium phone is helpful.
I understand the desire for a capable phone.  But $1k is simply astonishing to me.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14817 on: September 13, 2016, 09:33:27 AM »
I understand the desire for a capable phone.  But $1k is simply astonishing to me.

My phone wasn't $1k.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14818 on: September 13, 2016, 09:55:27 AM »

My phone wasn't $1k.
I apologize if I came across that way.  My astonishment is at the price tag of the new top-of-the-line iPhone.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14819 on: September 13, 2016, 10:03:15 AM »
I sometimes think that.  Then I realize, that really - it's a computer.  When you put it in that context, it's not so crazy

I'll agree with that statement when I can put my phone in a docking station at work and at home and use it like a normal computer, and get rid of my desktop/laptop.  Ubuntu tried to do it, but failed.  They got close, so I think it'l happen soon, but until then it hasn't replaced the computer yet, so it's still just a fancy phone you can do a bunch of stuff on, imo.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #14820 on: September 13, 2016, 11:19:59 AM »
$1000.  For a phone. The mind boggles.

I sometimes think that.  Then I realize, that really - it's a computer.  When you put it in that context, it's not so crazy

You can get a mini PC for well <$100, a netbook < $250. I'm quite surprised so many people are still willing to pay big amounts of money for premium products while computers and consumer electronics can be dirt cheap.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 11:22:59 AM by DagobertDuck »

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #14821 on: September 13, 2016, 11:28:47 AM »
$1000.  For a phone. The mind boggles.

I'm often surprised that while computers (and consumer electronics in general) can be had so cheap (Mini PC <$100, Netbook < $200) so many people are still willing to pay vast amounts of money for the premium stuff.

When I first got into the computer business I was selling 360K Floppy drives for $1,500 each (circa 1983).  I had (government) customers at that time who were still winding their own core memories.  Moore's law in action!

jrubin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14822 on: September 13, 2016, 11:59:45 AM »

Ha - I appreciate your effort  :)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14823 on: September 13, 2016, 12:02:20 PM »

My phone wasn't $1k.
I apologize if I came across that way.  My astonishment is at the price tag of the new top-of-the-line iPhone.

No problem.

Though I will say that I can definitely understand how someone else might be able to justify such a costly phone. My phone cost way more than another phone that could have gotten the job done, in my mind I reasoned that the added cost was worth it for the additional features. It also helps that I take good care of my phones, and should have this one for at least 2 years.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14824 on: September 13, 2016, 01:23:40 PM »
You can get a mini PC for well <$100, a netbook < $250. I'm quite surprised so many people are still willing to pay big amounts of money for premium products while computers and consumer electronics can be dirt cheap.

You can get an absolute garbage one, sure.

Mini PC for under $100? You're talking, what, a raspberry pi with a few addons? Or something of comparable processing power. Similarly, netbook under $250... come on.

Sure, if it's either that or go internet-less, these things are great. Or if you plan to run near bare metal, or on a very minimalist OS, they're obviously more powerful than the computers that people used to do great work. But if you try to run anything modern on it, it'll bog down and crap itself.

For $250, you're far better off buying a used real computer than a shite netbook.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14825 on: September 13, 2016, 01:47:42 PM »

Mini PC for under $100? You're talking, what, a raspberry pi with a few addons? Or something of comparable processing power. Similarly, netbook under $250... come on.

Sure, if it's either that or go internet-less, these things are great. Or if you plan to run near bare metal, or on a very minimalist OS, they're obviously more powerful than the computers that people used to do great work. But if you try to run anything modern on it, it'll bog down and crap itself.

For $250, you're far better off buying a used real computer than a shite netbook.

It really depends on what you will be using your computer for. My last laptop cost $350 and it's lasted me over 2.5 years. I tend to buy cheap laptops because I don't want to feel bad if I break them, and I don't need them to do anything exceptional, and so I can't justify spending big bucks for one. Work pays out of my laptop and I still buy a cheap one off Newegg.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #14826 on: September 13, 2016, 01:59:24 PM »

Used PC's can be had for free at nearly every office park from time to time.
Install Ubuntu on it, and you're set.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14827 on: September 13, 2016, 02:32:59 PM »

Install Ubuntu on it, and you're set.
How does one find these office parks and their curb dates?

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #14828 on: September 13, 2016, 02:43:07 PM »
Just ask around. They're not usually dumped on the curb of course.

Just ask someone working for a company with a lot of PC's.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14829 on: September 13, 2016, 03:22:57 PM »
Just ask around. They're not usually dumped on the curb of course.

Just ask someone working for a company with a lot of PC's.

Yup! A buddy of mine owns a tech company, I mentioned to him a week ago that I'm interested in a computer and he told me to come over, "I've got a few rooms full of old ones."

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14830 on: September 13, 2016, 10:44:01 PM »

I didn't notice it until you shamelessly plugged yourself...then I had to read it twice.

Good comeback there.   Being the good sport that you are, you didn't suggest he plug himself. :)

And kayvent, I'm sure a lot of the members here stand and salute you and your sense of humor

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #14831 on: September 14, 2016, 01:18:40 AM »
CW1: OMG I went to get my hair done last night and almost cried when they gave me the bill, $250!

CW2: Oh but it looks nice though, and mine was $300!

CW3: (clearly sensing some competition was under way) That's nothing, mine was $450!

CW1: (turns and sees my jaw hitting the floor) Ha! And how much was yours ShanghaiMMM?

SHmmm: I cut it myself...

Holy crap. I am male and the three CW are female, just for reference. I know female cuts can be a lot more but wow. I feel very lucky I can avoid that particular social pressure.

MrRealEstate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14832 on: September 14, 2016, 02:01:24 AM »
It took me a couple of months of casual reading to get through 304 pages...

Several examples from my work:

-CW1 is normally quite frugal (cuts own hair, function over fashion clothes etc).  Based on seniority earns >$150k.  Sensing a kindred spirit, spoke to them about saving/investing and learned that they were focussed only on paying off the house, which they had recently achieved but would now think about investing.  6 months later announced upgrade of home - twice as big with cellar and pool (and debt)....

-CW2 announced that he needed to get a car for the nanny.  Flagged a particular model (relatively budget).  Other colleagues proceeded to berate CW2 for being cheap and he agreed to get a more expensive brand (confirmed purchase in later convo)...

-The boss, complaining on cost of living lamented the impact of tax on the bonus, and servicing costs for his elevator (lives in 3 storey house plus basement)...

-in positive news, a fellow mustachian colleague announced his retirement earlier in the year, pre-40.  No one knew how he did it...

most cws probably think he won the lottery or became the recipient of a large inheritance...

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14833 on: September 14, 2016, 05:08:39 AM »

If you just need a "Desktop" for normal office work (writing etc.) and nothing to carry around, and want to go cheap and small, you can have something like this (and not some big tower):
 http://up-shop.org/4-up-boards
It works fine and reliable, has official intel support and is basically the innards of a double+ as expensive smartphone, just without the screen - but with the possibility to use a real screen. (no fun to do excel on 6')

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14834 on: September 14, 2016, 06:01:46 AM »
for a dog, she'd be too nervous about potential behavioural problems either from uncertain breeding or whatever potentially traumatic situation the dog may have been rescued for. I'm not sure I agree with her on those points but that was her reasoning anyway.

Not so much the unknown breeding, but the behavioral concerns over rescue dogs can be valid, but usually the places will be able to tell you what issues the dog has, and you can pick one that is likely to fit your home.  I adopted a 14 year old abused and abandoned rescue dog, which had the risk of having a plethora of psychological issues.  You just have to recognize that you're going to have to meet them halfway, maybe more than halfway, and be patient.  I would 100% get another rescue dog when I'm ready to have another dog.

awkward when my rescue dog doesn't like black people...

My old Husky mutt was raised in a very rural, and white area. One night I stopped to help an elderly black man who had pulled off the road, and into a deep mud hole. The car wasn't going anywhere without a tow truck. I offered to drive him in to town to find one.  We headed down the road with my big, harmless dog between us. As we got to an intersection, under one of the few street lights, the dog caught a look at our guest. She startled, gave me a WTF? look, and slid tight to my hip.It was a bit embarrassing to explain that her social circle had some diversity issues. 

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14835 on: September 14, 2016, 06:35:33 AM »
A previous company let employees bring their dogs to work. One dog was here almost every day. Without fail, it would let out a sharp bark every time one of the regular black delivery dudes came in. Never for white employees. Unfortunately neither Fedex nor UPS seemed to ever employ Hispanic or Asian delivery people, so we never got to thoroughly test the extent of this dog's racial preferences.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #14836 on: September 14, 2016, 07:30:28 AM »
CW1: OMG I went to get my hair done last night and almost cried when they gave me the bill, $250!

CW3: (clearly sensing some competition was under way) That's nothing, mine was $450!

CW1: (turns and sees my jaw hitting the floor) Ha! And how much was yours ShanghaiMMM?

Holy crap. I am male and the three CW are female, just for reference. I know female cuts can be a lot more but wow. I feel very lucky I can avoid that particular social pressure.
DW occasionally gives me shit for cutting my own, but I honestly like my work better than that of most paid "professionals" I've visited. I usually end up correcting their work when I get home because I notice uneven spots and such. Somehow I still end up doing it about once a year, and it ends up reinforcing my desire to DIY.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14837 on: September 14, 2016, 07:41:09 AM »

DW occasionally gives me shit for cutting my own, but I honestly like my work better than that of most paid "professionals" I've visited. I usually end up correcting their work when I get home because I notice uneven spots and such. Somehow I still end up doing it about once a year, and it ends up reinforcing my desire to DIY.

Hardest part about moving is finding a new barber. I've had 3 good ones in my life. 2 are in the same shop. Now I've just moved again, and I can either just schedule it around when I visit my parents, or else go through the process of finding a new one. What a pain.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14838 on: September 14, 2016, 07:41:23 AM »
A previous company let employees bring their dogs to work. One dog was here almost every day. Without fail, it would let out a sharp bark every time one of the regular black delivery dudes came in. Never for white employees. Unfortunately neither Fedex nor UPS seemed to ever employ Hispanic or Asian delivery people, so we never got to thoroughly test the extent of this dog's racial preferences.

I would love to work at a place that let you bring your dog.

My first dog hated all delivery people of any color, except for Ron, the UPS man. Ron brought all the dogs treats.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14839 on: September 14, 2016, 08:59:31 AM »

Did you mean,
Used PC's can be had for free at nearly every park near an office from time to time. ;-)

nobody123

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14840 on: September 14, 2016, 09:12:34 AM »
Hardest part about moving is finding a new barber. I've had 3 good ones in my life. 2 are in the same shop. Now I've just moved again, and I can either just schedule it around when I visit my parents, or else go through the process of finding a new one. What a pain.

+1.  My usual shop located by my old house 25 minutes away was closed for a long weekend and I really needed a cut.  So, I went to another shop that is actually around the corner from my house.  The barber there (who happened to be female) asked if I was new to the area since I had never been in before.  I said no, I go to so and so normally but they were closed today and I really needed a cut.  She then quipped that most men are more faithful to their barber then their wives or girlfriends.  I laughed, because it's probably true.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #14841 on: September 14, 2016, 09:22:10 AM »
My first dog hated all delivery people of any color, except for Ron, the UPS man. Ron brought all the dogs treats.

My neighbor the FedEx driver does the same thing. Any time I happen to walk by with my dogs while he's leaving for work, he reaches into his van for one. I'm guessing that stash helps him stay on the good side of all the pooches on his route.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14842 on: September 14, 2016, 09:27:13 AM »

My neighbor the FedEx driver does the same thing. Any time I happen to walk by with my dogs while he's leaving for work, he reaches into his van for one. I'm guessing that stash helps him stay on the good side of all the pooches on his route.

Reminds me of this story, a dog on this man's route loves carrier the letters so he started writing her fake letters for days when the house has no mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3753972/Postman-makes-fake-letters-Pippa-golden-retriever-doesn-t-sad-s-collect.html

TheStachery

« Reply #14843 on: September 14, 2016, 09:32:14 AM »

Here's to you Ron!

fiftyincher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14844 on: September 14, 2016, 10:30:55 AM »

If you just need a "Desktop" for normal office work (writing etc.) and nothing to carry around, and want to go cheap and small, you can have something like this (and not some big tower):
 http://up-shop.org/4-up-boards
It works fine and reliable, has official intel support and is basically the innards of a double+ as expensive smartphone, just without the screen - but with the possibility to use a real screen. (no fun to do excel on 6')
[/quote]

Excel on 6'?!? That must be awesome

hoosier

• Stubble
« Reply #14845 on: September 14, 2016, 11:09:15 AM »
This happened over the course of the past few weeks with a coworker.  Guy probably makes $100K.

Him:  I'm glad fall is almost here, I'm tired of being broke all the time.
Me:  Say huh?
Him: Yeah, I'm spending like $150 a weekend in fuel for my boat.  The slip (boat parking spot) is like another $200 a month. 
Me:  Wow, I had no idea it cost that much.
Him:  Yeah, I think next week I'll pay to have it winterized and put it into storage.
Me:  Oh, how much does that cost?
Him:  I think the winterizing cost $200, then it's only $80/month for indoor storage.
Me:  Oh.  OK.

About a week later...

Me:  Done boating for the year?
Him:  Yeah, but I think I'm going to sell my boat.
Me:  Tired of spending money on it?
Him:  Kinda.  I think I'm going to sell it and get a newer one with an aluminum trailer so I don't have to buy a F250.  I don't like towing mine with my F150.
Me:  How much does that thing weigh?
Him:  About 10K loaded.  I only get about 8 MPG pulling it.
Me:  I wouldn't want to do that either.
Him:  I figure I can probably sell my boat for $15K, but I hate to do it because I have some equity in it, and a new one will be about $35K.  Can't buy a F250 for $20K, amiright!
Me:  Well, good luck.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 11:11:29 AM by hoosier »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14846 on: September 14, 2016, 11:26:56 AM »

have you heard of slickdeals.  just got a 65" samsung TV for 80 bucks.  same kinds of deals can be had with computers there if you're patient.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14847 on: September 14, 2016, 11:29:02 AM »

have you heard of slickdeals.  just got a 65" samsung TV for 80 bucks.  same kinds of deals can be had with computers there if you're patient.

Is this site legit? It always seemed like a scam.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #14848 on: September 14, 2016, 11:32:11 AM »

It's just an aggregator of deals from other sites, so there isn't much for them to scam you on.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14849 on: September 14, 2016, 11:37:42 AM »

yeah as said above its just a forum where people post deals. you have to weed thru some of the moderator posted paid for crap (which has gotten slightly worse over the years) but at the end of the day you can get stuff for really good cheap clearance prices.  i scored 9 paddleboards from a target clearance this year.  150 bucks each resold for 500 each.  if you know what you're looking for you can setup deal alerts.  i use this to get all of our household products like toilet paper and cleaning supplies for super cheap usually amazon subscribe and save.  get our dog food here.  anything i happen to be looking for.  like a 65" TV i spent 4-5 months just waiting we already have 3 ... yeah consumeristic sucka here.  but at 80 bucks i almost bought 4 to resell just dont like to deal electronics. 

but yeah the site is 100% legit

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!