Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 6398707 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #13900 on: July 06, 2016, 10:05:39 AM »
There was an Indian restaurant in Dayton where I ordered something and the waiter said "no, that's for Indians" - he would NOT let me have it.  After about 6 visits they finally let me order it. It was hot, but not ridiculous. I don't remember what it was.

Our current place will let you specify the level of heat you want. I suspect they still use a "white person scale"- because I order mine hot and it still barely is.

A place near us has 'mild' 'medium' 'hot' but they will say "Do you want Indian medium or Minnesota medium?"

Where in Minnesota are you? What was the restaurant?

I do love how whenever I'm at an Indian restaurant with a friend the waiter will look at me and ask how spicy I want it. What they mean to ask me is, "Can you friend handle the spice?" They seem relieved when I tell them to make it mild for my friend, but once I went with a friend that can handle the spice and the waiter was very concerned. He kept his eye on us as we ate.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13901 on: July 06, 2016, 10:19:47 AM »

We had a local Indian restuarant that the family went to once. We all got a different meal and they were all so hot that we could not finish our meals. We never went back and it wasn't long before the restuarant closed. I suspect because the cook had burned up his pain sensors.
  We are not wimps when it comes to hot, we grow and use Thai hot peppers almost daily.
Usually minced into Soy Sauce or Fish Sauce, and dribbled on to different meals.
Soy Sauce with hot pepper dipped over plain rice will perk it up.

There was an Indian restaurant in Dayton where I ordered something and the waiter said "no, that's for Indians" - he would NOT let me have it.  After about 6 visits they finally let me order it. It was hot, but not ridiculous. I don't remember what it was.

Our current place will let you specify the level of heat you want. I suspect they still use a "white person scale"- because I order mine hot and it still barely is.

If you are a regular, I would send it back as many times as you need to be hot enough.  I don't think they would mind tossing in a few extra peppers and then they will remember you next time.  Unless they are jerks, then stop going there

deadlymonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #13902 on: July 06, 2016, 10:20:53 AM »

We had a local Indian restuarant that the family went to once. We all got a different meal and they were all so hot that we could not finish our meals. We never went back and it wasn't long before the restuarant closed. I suspect because the cook had burned up his pain sensors.
  We are not wimps when it comes to hot, we grow and use Thai hot peppers almost daily.
Usually minced into Soy Sauce or Fish Sauce, and dribbled on to different meals.
Soy Sauce with hot pepper dipped over plain rice will perk it up.

There was a local curry place around the block from where I lived in japan.  They had mild, medium, hot and then levels 5, 10-15-20.  After you ate the 20 at their place a few times, they would let you order the Special 1, 2, or 3.  Too many people would order the special then send it back as too hot, so they needed you to prove yourself before ordering it.

What were the 3 specials?

Just extra levels of hot that seemed to go up exponentially over the previously linear levels 5-20. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13903 on: July 06, 2016, 10:26:23 AM »
The secret specials seem like a good way to get repeat customers by gamifyijg the food.  They could give you a little card with different stamps.  You have to start at level 1 and work your way up.  You get scoville points that you can trade for new ingredients.

Come to think of it, if you specify your hotness in scoville units they will probably understand you know your shit and give you whatever you want

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13904 on: July 06, 2016, 10:33:57 AM »
I require 500 mL of chili with a scoville rating of between 4,000 and 5,000 units post haste. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13905 on: July 06, 2016, 10:49:59 AM »
I require 500 mL of chili with a scoville rating of between 4,000 and 5,000 units post haste.

The chiliwench will serve you anon

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13906 on: July 06, 2016, 10:52:11 AM »
Chiliwench is an awesome job title. 

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #13907 on: July 06, 2016, 11:39:11 AM »

A place near us has 'mild' 'medium' 'hot' but they will say "Do you want Indian medium or Minnesota medium?"

I do love how whenever I'm at an Indian restaurant with a friend the waiter will look at me and ask how spicy I want it. What they mean to ask me is, "Can you friend handle the spice?" They seem relieved when I tell them to make it mild for my friend, but once I went with a friend that can handle the spice and the waiter was very concerned. He kept his eye on us as we ate.

This specific place is in St Louis Park, Best of India
http://www.bestofindiausa.com/

Would recommend.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13908 on: July 06, 2016, 11:40:07 AM »

I hereby dub thee official Chiliwench for all dragonkind.

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13909 on: July 06, 2016, 11:46:01 AM »

I hereby dub thee official Chiliwench for all dragonkind.

Given your depicted treatment of that androgynous car, receipt of the title 'wench' from you should instill a modicum of foreboding.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13910 on: July 06, 2016, 11:48:41 AM »
"Chiliwench" sounds like the name of one of those oil patch boomtowns in North Dakota.

"Here on the outskirts of Chiliwench, people are living in shipping containers because there's just not enough housing available for all of the oil workers..."

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13911 on: July 06, 2016, 12:04:21 PM »

Would recommend.

I've been there, liked it. I recall the last time I went there I was with an American and so the waiter looked relieved when I asked them to serve everything mild.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13912 on: July 06, 2016, 01:07:11 PM »

Given your depicted treatment of that androgynous car, receipt of the title 'wench' from you should instill a modicum of foreboding.

As well it should.  One does not deal with dragons lightly

ringer707

• Stubble
« Reply #13913 on: July 06, 2016, 01:18:15 PM »
From yesterday...

"If I win mega millions tonight I'll buy myself a new car and never worry when the payment rolls around each month again."

But if you're a multi-millionaire, why would you choose to pay monthly for a car with interest...

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13914 on: July 06, 2016, 01:24:36 PM »
"A lottery ticket is an investment."
My Cleverly Titled Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/cleverly-titled-journal/
My Cat's Facebook Page (yes, really): www.facebook.com/chicagotau
Tau now has an Instagram: www.instagram.com/chicagotau or #chicagotau
Discover Card referral ($50 now and $50 after your first year! and free credit monitoring): https://refer.discover.com/s/gv3ma

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13915 on: July 06, 2016, 01:55:48 PM »

Would recommend.

I've been there, liked it. I recall the last time I went there I was with an American and so the waiter looked relieved when I asked them to serve everything mild.

I may have to break my longstanding never-go-to-the-burbs-for-"ethnic"-food rule.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13916 on: July 06, 2016, 02:34:43 PM »
From yesterday...

"If I win mega millions tonight I'll buy myself a new car and never worry when the payment rolls around each month again."

But if you're a multi-millionaire, why would you choose to pay monthly for a car with interest...

I bought a couple tickets. I ran out of things to do with the money pretty quick--not because I'd run myself dry and not because I couldn't think of more things to spend the money on, but just because I ran out of time in my hypothetical world. The money still can't buy me time, and I'd actually have a little less in the day since I'd sleep more.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13917 on: July 06, 2016, 02:59:05 PM »
"You work full time and don't have a housekeeper?  That's just crazy!"

Teehee, I don't work (for pay) at all and I still have a housekeeper!  Though, I actually am canceling the service after the next visit because my change in job circumstances is relatively recent and now it no longer makes sense for me to pay for cleaning -- the time/cost analysis has completely changed.

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #13918 on: July 06, 2016, 03:20:58 PM »
I prefer mine from a chilewench. Chili is a dish with meat and beans.
Refinance your student loans with my SoFi referral and get $100: https://www.sofi.com/refer/5/18373

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13919 on: July 06, 2016, 03:39:52 PM »

Would recommend.

I may have to break my longstanding never-go-to-the-burbs-for-"ethnic"-food rule.

Didn't you get the memo?  Urban cities are hot again!  That means poor immigrants can't afford to live there, and have to move out to the burbs now.  That's where all the poor artists will have to go, too.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13920 on: July 06, 2016, 03:44:00 PM »

Hold the phone.  You don't like chili?  And you've clearly never been to Texas if you think Chili has beans.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #13921 on: July 06, 2016, 05:20:39 PM »
*snip*

It's also common forum etiquette to defer to those with higher post counts.  And to buy them chocolates every WalrusDay.

Okay, everybody, let's not forget that WalrusDay is November 24th, so mark your calendars!  Dragoncar, please post your full mailing address for us to all send you chocolates.

1 Yemen road
Yemen

Your friends donít really seem to care too much that youíre leaving.

(I realize this is from a while back, but I was catching up on the thread).

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13922 on: July 06, 2016, 05:28:51 PM »

Hold the phone.  You don't like chili?  And you've clearly never been to Texas if you think Chili has beans.

Or Cincinnati, for that matter.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13923 on: July 06, 2016, 05:31:07 PM »
From yesterday...

For same reason you should carry a mortgage once fire and not pay off low interest debt. My millions are better served in the market  than tied up in a car.  House or otherwise. The banks are practically giving money away at today's interest rates. To tie in up in a house car or otherwise would be foolish.
Best super bonuses on Credit cards right now - ask me how to Mfg spend to meet the sign up bonus

1. Delta Gold 60k miles Ends 1/31/2018
2. Delta Platinum - 70k miles - Ends 1/31/2018

Delta Business Gold - Ends 1/31/2018

Join Personal Capital - We each get 20 bucks!!
 https://www.talkable.com/x/StjGrn

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
    • Mrs. Dinero's Journal
« Reply #13924 on: July 06, 2016, 06:33:16 PM »
From yesterday...

For same reason you should carry a mortgage once fire and not pay off low interest debt. My millions are better served in the market  than tied up in a car.  House or otherwise. The banks are practically giving money away at today's interest rates. To tie in up in a house car or otherwise would be foolish.

Most likely they will end up buying a Ferarri or Bentley, not something like a Honda Fit.  If I was a bank I would charge lottery winners a higher interest rate (if allowed by law) because they tend to go bankrupt quickly.

ringer707

• Stubble
« Reply #13925 on: July 07, 2016, 06:53:45 AM »
From yesterday...

This is assuming they would get a low interest loan on a car though. No guarantee they're qualifying for 1.9% or whatever they're spouting on new car commercials.

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #13926 on: July 07, 2016, 07:35:13 AM »

Never said I don't like chili. But, what they're talking about, to me, is chile.

And, you're right. Some chili doesn't have beans. I enjoy a good Cincinnati chili.
Refinance your student loans with my SoFi referral and get $100: https://www.sofi.com/refer/5/18373

Making Cookies

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13927 on: July 07, 2016, 07:45:22 AM »

I'll bet if I use that to address my wife I won't get any more chili... (She makes WONDERFUL chili).

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13928 on: July 07, 2016, 07:57:26 AM »
And, you're right. Some chili doesn't have beans. I enjoy a good Cincinnati chili.
No, All chili doesn't have beans. If it has beans it's a stew. ;-)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #13929 on: July 07, 2016, 08:01:55 AM »

I'll bet if I use that to address my wife I won't get any more chili... (She makes WONDERFUL chili).

Unless you're dressed as a pirate, toting a bottle of rum and a box of chocolates.
I squeak softly, but carry a big schtick.

Making Cookies

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13930 on: July 07, 2016, 08:14:37 AM »
Ahhhh, good approach!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13931 on: July 07, 2016, 10:30:36 AM »
*snip*

It's also common forum etiquette to defer to those with higher post counts.  And to buy them chocolates every WalrusDay.

Okay, everybody, let's not forget that WalrusDay is November 24th, so mark your calendars!  Dragoncar, please post your full mailing address for us to all send you chocolates.

1 Yemen road
Yemen

Your friends donít really seem to care too much that youíre leaving.

(I realize this is from a while back, but I was catching up on the thread).

When we get to Yemen, can I live with you?

Never said I don't like chili. But, what they're talking about, to me, is chile.

We are talking about hot food, of which chili is one.  Specifically, frugal nacho made a pretend order for very spicy chili.  If you don't want any, that's fine more for us

I'd say chiliwench would be a good name for a chili stand (or truck) but would probably attract feminist protestors in these here parts
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:32:27 AM by dragoncar »

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #13932 on: July 07, 2016, 10:43:13 AM »

Would recommend.

IMO the best Indian food is in the suburbs.  Makes sense since most of the Indian population here lives...  in the suburbs.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13933 on: July 07, 2016, 11:37:06 AM »

Would recommend.

IMO the best Indian food is in the suburbs.  Makes sense since most of the Indian population here lives...  in the suburbs.

I completely agree, after all my mom makes the best Indian food in the world and she lives in the suburbs!

merula

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13934 on: July 07, 2016, 11:54:25 AM »

Would recommend.

I completely agree, after all my mom makes the best Indian food in the world and she lives in the suburbs!

The rule came from a Vietnamese friend, so it probably depends on the type of food in question.

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13935 on: July 07, 2016, 11:58:21 AM »
We are talking about hot food, of which chili is one.  Specifically, frugal nacho made a pretend order for very spicy chili.  If you don't want any, that's fine more for us

I'd say chiliwench would be a good name for a chili stand (or truck) but would probably attract feminist protestors in these here parts

That was not a pretend order.  I need 500 ccs of chili STAT!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13936 on: July 07, 2016, 12:31:32 PM »

The chilibulance should get there soon

frugalnacho

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13937 on: July 07, 2016, 01:14:18 PM »

The chilibulance should get there soon

Just hook it to my veins!

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13938 on: July 07, 2016, 01:42:01 PM »
I'm on a distribution list with around 5000 other people (well according to the email, I have no idea how many in reality).  Someone sent out a request using it.  So far there have been 11 reply alls, to either take them off the distro list, or a simply reply of "unsubscribe," or chastising the other people who replied all. 

Threshkin

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #13939 on: July 07, 2016, 01:49:39 PM »
I'm on a distribution list with around 5000 other people (well according to the email, I have no idea how many in reality).  Someone sent out a request using it.  So far there have been 11 reply alls, to either take them off the distro list, or a simply reply of "unsubscribe," or chastising the other people who replied all.

We get that kind of spam war a few times a year.  It can become effectively a DOS attack.  At least emails are easy to delete!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13940 on: July 07, 2016, 02:09:20 PM »

We get that kind of spam war a few times a year.  It can become effectively a DOS attack.  At least emails are easy to delete!

Yeah, I would just add a filter that deletes anything containing the original offending sender's email address

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13941 on: July 07, 2016, 02:14:46 PM »

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13942 on: July 07, 2016, 02:16:26 PM »
My company has finally started putting the company-wide list in the BCC field so that if you reply to all it only goes to the original sender.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13943 on: July 07, 2016, 02:57:16 PM »
On the bright side, nobody steals my beer now!

Except for Jack :-/

Huh? I don't even like beer!

Making Cookies

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13944 on: July 07, 2016, 03:21:40 PM »
My company has finally started putting the company-wide list in the BCC field so that if you reply to all it only goes to the original sender.

There have been tech stories of "reply-all" taking down corporate networks with participants replying to the replies. I can't find the story that I want to reference but one company had to shut their mails erver down a few times to get everyone calmed down and to quit replying to all.

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #13945 on: July 07, 2016, 03:26:19 PM »
I just use the "mute" feature gmail has very liberally for emails.
Any email that might turn into a reply-all discussion that I don't care about I just mute and never see again
AirBnb referral code for $25 off first reservation: http://www.airbnb.com/c/nroitman?s=8
TopCashBack referral code (we both earn $10): http://www.topcashback.com/ref/infer73

turketron

• Bristles
« Reply #13946 on: July 07, 2016, 05:15:26 PM »
The day our facilities manager (who sends out many office-wide updates and announcements) discovered the "BCC: all employees" feature was amazing.

pancakes

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13947 on: July 07, 2016, 09:02:29 PM »
A couple of months ago someone at work came to me determined to end the financial year out of debt. We sat down and went over their expenses and they agreed with themself to commit to changes. Essentially they would have to give up "shopping" until the end of financial year and cut back on general expenses (they did leave a $200/month entertainment allowance in there so it wasn't exactly a mustachian cutback).

Fast forward to the last day of the financial year and this person comes back after lunch with $800 worth of goods in the back of their car and laughs saying they just can't change who they are and that the debt will have to wait. 

Now if they mention their financial issues around me I just get up and walk away.

MrMoogle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13948 on: July 08, 2016, 06:56:43 AM »

There have been tech stories of "reply-all" taking down corporate networks with participants replying to the replies. I can't find the story that I want to reference but one company had to shut their mails erver down a few times to get everyone calmed down and to quit replying to all.
I don't know about this, but I have heard about a case of auto-reply.  One guy set up an auto reply for a specific person, to mess with them.  So the other guy set up an auto reply back.  The first email between the two after that set up an infinite loop of auto-replies and brought the company's email down.  At which time the company took both of their email privileges away.

Canadian in KS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13949 on: July 08, 2016, 07:26:44 AM »
Once when I was leaving on vacation for south Asia, I turned off my phone for about 24 hours while traveling. When I turned it back on, I saw that I had >200 (work) emails. I initially panicked - something terrible must have happened for me to be getting that many emails on a weekend! But then as I scrolled through I realized it was exactly the case you described - an email was send out to thousands of people, and dozens of them replied all to say "please take me off the distribution list!" or "everybody stop replying all!" OMG.