Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13266265 times)

esq

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #13750 on: July 05, 2016, 08:14:56 AM »
(Friend story, but still worthy of posting here.)

My friend M is an Exxon engineer.  Her brother is a recently retired engineer (PhD.), who is married to a PhD.  M told me the PhD wife has done some "business ventures" and lost $500,000.  This over the course of the last four years.

M's 53 yr old younger sister, who has never been able to work  because she's not mentally "all there",  is living off a trust fund put together by their very hard working (now deceased) German parents, over a lifetime.  Trust fund is being managed and administered by M's recently retired brother.  M told me the balance had been at $450,000, then $400,000, now at $350,000 (I forget the timeline but it was shockingly short).  When M recently looked at the paperwork, the trust has been only averaging 1% per year over the last 10 years.

Brother is apparently extremely frugal with his money, so I'm at a total loss.

There's another brother, 60, bad health, who was a dentist, then an engineer, now recently fired, very little savings, who wants to remodel his bathroom with all marble to the tune of $12,000 (never mind he's a hoarder and doesn't have an operable kitchen), but that's another story for another day.

deadlymonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #13751 on: July 05, 2016, 09:16:02 AM »
Kroger here has a small selection of large quantities of spices for like 2x the price of their small stuff, but at least 10x the quantity.  For a few things I use constantly, I'll drive to Kroger to get these, instead of walking to the Target behind my apartment.

I buy as many spices as I can at the local Indian grocery. A helpful hint: when they say "extra-hot", they mean "weapons-grade".

I should probably get some of those for my roommate.  He ate a slice of ghost pepper the other day and said it was 'warm.'

I used to live in a house and help integrate refugees that my local congregation was "fostering" (long story).  I lived with a pregnant Burmese woman who would put on latex gloves and goggles (quite the sight!) to happily eat peppers so hot that they blistered your skin and irritated your eyes from a distance. 

I used to think of myself as having NO tolerance for spice, but moving back to the northeast out of Texas reminded me it's all relative.

Yeah, I moved from Phoenix to NJ and I can't find spicy foods at restaurants here. "Thai hot" should be hotter than 'hot' and it is, well, not.  In AZ, medium (3 on a 1-5 scale) is about as much as I can handle.

How to you look?  I swear whenever they say "how hot do you want it on a scale from 1-10?" they also do an adjustment, like if you look super white they subtract two, and if you look Thai they add three.

edit: I developed this theory based on a single data point once when me and a friend ordered the same hotness level but received different amount of hot.

I get this a lot.  I'm white but I love and can handle very spicy food (like Thai/SriLankan very hot levels).  Whenever I ask for Thai hot or highest levels of hot the waiters give me weird looks like "yea right white boy" and bring me something I consider barely medium.

I remember getting Thai food from a place in Champagne, Illinois like 10 years ago. I ordered it very spicy because I love spicy foods (Indian heritage) and was insistent that it be made that way. The cook made my pad thai and kept turning to me and yelling, "SPICY" as he added spices to it. The waitress gave me my food with a wicked smile on her face, and it was absolutely delicious!

My roommate in college was a Thai exchange student.  We would cook in our apartment on campus and he loved to cook so I pretty much learned to eat all Thai staples.  His parents would send him triple ziplocked bags of peppers and ground spices from their garden to use in cooking.  Super potent powder that wen we cooked, neighbors would complain that the air was burning their throats. 

When I went to Thailand myself and ordered the food, I could see the cook looking at me waiting to see the white tourist choke on his meal, but I just smiled and complimented him. 

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13752 on: July 05, 2016, 10:35:05 AM »
Overheard via the family grapevine but I'll put it here.

Kid that I grew up with. Mid-40s now. Had a job making ~$85K (informed rumor says) with a pension (certain of that much). Job required driving.

Guy can't make ends meet. No kids. No wife. No drugs b/c employer tests. Gambling? Women?

Parents begin to cover his house payment. Then assume the loan and make the payments. Cover more of his expenses eventually like utilities.

DUI. Suspended from driving for employer. Arrangements made with employer to continue working different duties. Employer says okay - just go to DUI/driving school. Guy doesn't. Won't.

Fired with 28 years of service towards a pension that he could take at 30 years.

Heard over the weekend via the grapevine he was arrested for assault and battery of live-in girlfriend. Judge gives him 90 days in the county pokey. The guy reports his is unhappy with life in jail.

Who knows if he will ever be able to turn it around. 

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #13753 on: July 05, 2016, 12:59:31 PM »
Wow Big Toe.  Wonder what happened?  Sounds like a pretty sudden change from "reasonably responsible adult" to "violent criminal".  I'd guess drugs, but with the employer tests, seems that would be hard to pull off.

Hope things get better for your friend.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #13754 on: July 05, 2016, 03:37:10 PM »
Parents begin to cover his house payment. Then assume the loan and make the payments. Cover more of his expenses eventually like utilities.

DUI. Suspended from driving for employer. Arrangements made with employer to continue working different duties. Employer says okay - just go to DUI/driving school. Guy doesn't. Won't.

Fired with 28 years of service towards a pension that he could take at 30 years.

Heard over the weekend via the grapevine he was arrested for assault and battery of live-in girlfriend. Judge gives him 90 days in the county pokey. The guy reports his is unhappy with life in jail.

Sounds like an alcoholic with sociopathic tendencies, maybe also depressed. Our neighbor had similar behaviors. Ended up committing suicide. At least he didn't take anyone with him.

Hope the guy gets some help before he totals his life, or any others.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13755 on: July 05, 2016, 03:41:48 PM »
Kind of waiting for the rest of the story - there has to be more, right?

I'm going to guess its one of the classics - drugs, women, booze and/or gambling.

I haven't laid eyes on the guy in 20 years - since DW and I married. Don't expect I'll see him again any time soon unless there is a funeral for one of our elders that we both attend.

Unless DW & I attend the funeral while he is raiding the family home for treasures as demonstrated by others in the Inheritance Drama thread. 

I tend to give handbasket riders a wide berth lest their problems become my problems. I have kids to raise and a family to provide for. That and between his stomping grounds and mine are many, many miles.

He and his represent my first contact as a kid with the type of person who preaches politics and religion and yet can't keep their own game straight.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13756 on: July 05, 2016, 03:56:48 PM »
It has definitely improved my life to go from no chilli at all to mild, but I don't have much interest in improving my chilli tolerance any further.

I'm not sure there's really an advantage to building up a tolerance beyond being able to enjoy/tolerate regular (sane) levels of heat.  Anything beyond that is like building up an alcohol tolerance -- you just need more to have the same enjoyment, which is more work than just enjoying a regular amount.  This also ties into:

However, sometimes I'll watch my husband sweating and his nose running when he's slightly over-reached himself and say "See? That's what it's like for me" and he'll say "But I LIKE this!" And I think he's not just being macho, I think he actually does.

I've read that capsaicin (the chemical in chilis that is spicy hot) is addictive because it releases endorphines.  On top of that, you build up a tolerance as discussed above.  Like a literal "it hurts so good"

We had a local Indian restuarant that the family went to once. We all got a different meal and they were all so hot that we could not finish our meals. We never went back and it wasn't long before the restuarant closed. I suspect because the cook had burned up his pain sensors.
  We are not wimps when it comes to hot, we grow and use Thai hot peppers almost daily.
Usually minced into Soy Sauce or Fish Sauce, and dribbled on to different meals.
Soy Sauce with hot pepper dipped over plain rice will perk it up.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13757 on: July 05, 2016, 04:58:40 PM »

We had a local Indian restuarant that the family went to once. We all got a different meal and they were all so hot that we could not finish our meals. We never went back and it wasn't long before the restuarant closed. I suspect because the cook had burned up his pain sensors.
  We are not wimps when it comes to hot, we grow and use Thai hot peppers almost daily.
Usually minced into Soy Sauce or Fish Sauce, and dribbled on to different meals.

My mouth started watering

nr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13758 on: July 05, 2016, 05:16:04 PM »
  Super potent powder that wen we cooked, neighbors would complain that the air was burning their throats. 

This us what I one day strive for in my cooking.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13759 on: July 06, 2016, 02:35:35 AM »
"You work full time and don't have a housekeeper?  That's just crazy!"

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13760 on: July 06, 2016, 08:08:50 AM »
  Super potent powder that wen we cooked, neighbors would complain that the air was burning their throats. 

This us what I one day strive for in my cooking.

Just make jerk chicken.  If everyone in your home isn't crying after the fumes from the jerk chicken circulate, you are doing something wrong.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13761 on: July 06, 2016, 08:17:31 AM »

There was an Indian restaurant in Dayton where I ordered something and the waiter said "no, that's for Indians" - he would NOT let me have it.  After about 6 visits they finally let me order it. It was hot, but not ridiculous. I don't remember what it was.

Our current place will let you specify the level of heat you want. I suspect they still use a "white person scale"- because I order mine hot and it still barely is.

deadlymonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #13762 on: July 06, 2016, 08:19:51 AM »

There was a local curry place around the block from where I lived in japan.  They had mild, medium, hot and then levels 5, 10-15-20.  After you ate the 20 at their place a few times, they would let you order the Special 1, 2, or 3.  Too many people would order the special then send it back as too hot, so they needed you to prove yourself before ordering it.

There was an Indian restaurant in Dayton where I ordered something and the waiter said "no, that's for Indians" - he would NOT let me have it.  After about 6 visits they finally let me order it. It was hot, but not ridiculous. I don't remember what it was.

Our current place will let you specify the level of heat you want. I suspect they still use a "white person scale"- because I order mine hot and it still barely is.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13763 on: July 06, 2016, 08:50:19 AM »

There was a local curry place around the block from where I lived in japan.  They had mild, medium, hot and then levels 5, 10-15-20.  After you ate the 20 at their place a few times, they would let you order the Special 1, 2, or 3.  Too many people would order the special then send it back as too hot, so they needed you to prove yourself before ordering it.

What were the 3 specials?

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #13764 on: July 06, 2016, 10:01:01 AM »

A place near us has 'mild' 'medium' 'hot' but they will say "Do you want Indian medium or Minnesota medium?"

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13765 on: July 06, 2016, 10:05:39 AM »

A place near us has 'mild' 'medium' 'hot' but they will say "Do you want Indian medium or Minnesota medium?"

Where in Minnesota are you? What was the restaurant?

I do love how whenever I'm at an Indian restaurant with a friend the waiter will look at me and ask how spicy I want it. What they mean to ask me is, "Can you friend handle the spice?" They seem relieved when I tell them to make it mild for my friend, but once I went with a friend that can handle the spice and the waiter was very concerned. He kept his eye on us as we ate.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13766 on: July 06, 2016, 10:19:47 AM »

If you are a regular, I would send it back as many times as you need to be hot enough.  I don't think they would mind tossing in a few extra peppers and then they will remember you next time.  Unless they are jerks, then stop going there

deadlymonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #13767 on: July 06, 2016, 10:20:53 AM »

What were the 3 specials?

Just extra levels of hot that seemed to go up exponentially over the previously linear levels 5-20. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13768 on: July 06, 2016, 10:26:23 AM »
The secret specials seem like a good way to get repeat customers by gamifyijg the food.  They could give you a little card with different stamps.  You have to start at level 1 and work your way up.  You get scoville points that you can trade for new ingredients.

Come to think of it, if you specify your hotness in scoville units they will probably understand you know your shit and give you whatever you want

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13769 on: July 06, 2016, 10:33:57 AM »
I require 500 mL of chili with a scoville rating of between 4,000 and 5,000 units post haste. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13770 on: July 06, 2016, 10:49:59 AM »
I require 500 mL of chili with a scoville rating of between 4,000 and 5,000 units post haste.

The chiliwench will serve you anon

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13771 on: July 06, 2016, 10:52:11 AM »
Chiliwench is an awesome job title. 

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #13772 on: July 06, 2016, 11:39:11 AM »

I do love how whenever I'm at an Indian restaurant with a friend the waiter will look at me and ask how spicy I want it. What they mean to ask me is, "Can you friend handle the spice?" They seem relieved when I tell them to make it mild for my friend, but once I went with a friend that can handle the spice and the waiter was very concerned. He kept his eye on us as we ate.

This specific place is in St Louis Park, Best of India
http://www.bestofindiausa.com/

Would recommend.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13773 on: July 06, 2016, 11:40:07 AM »

I hereby dub thee official Chiliwench for all dragonkind.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13774 on: July 06, 2016, 11:46:01 AM »

I hereby dub thee official Chiliwench for all dragonkind.

Given your depicted treatment of that androgynous car, receipt of the title 'wench' from you should instill a modicum of foreboding.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13775 on: July 06, 2016, 11:48:41 AM »
"Chiliwench" sounds like the name of one of those oil patch boomtowns in North Dakota.

"Here on the outskirts of Chiliwench, people are living in shipping containers because there's just not enough housing available for all of the oil workers..."

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13776 on: July 06, 2016, 12:04:21 PM »

Would recommend.

I've been there, liked it. I recall the last time I went there I was with an American and so the waiter looked relieved when I asked them to serve everything mild.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13777 on: July 06, 2016, 01:07:11 PM »

Given your depicted treatment of that androgynous car, receipt of the title 'wench' from you should instill a modicum of foreboding.

As well it should.  One does not deal with dragons lightly

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #13778 on: July 06, 2016, 01:18:15 PM »
From yesterday...

"If I win mega millions tonight I'll buy myself a new car and never worry when the payment rolls around each month again."

But if you're a multi-millionaire, why would you choose to pay monthly for a car with interest...

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13779 on: July 06, 2016, 01:24:36 PM »
"A lottery ticket is an investment."

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13780 on: July 06, 2016, 01:55:48 PM »

Would recommend.

I've been there, liked it. I recall the last time I went there I was with an American and so the waiter looked relieved when I asked them to serve everything mild.

I may have to break my longstanding never-go-to-the-burbs-for-"ethnic"-food rule.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13781 on: July 06, 2016, 02:34:43 PM »
From yesterday...

"If I win mega millions tonight I'll buy myself a new car and never worry when the payment rolls around each month again."

But if you're a multi-millionaire, why would you choose to pay monthly for a car with interest...

I bought a couple tickets. I ran out of things to do with the money pretty quick--not because I'd run myself dry and not because I couldn't think of more things to spend the money on, but just because I ran out of time in my hypothetical world. The money still can't buy me time, and I'd actually have a little less in the day since I'd sleep more.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13782 on: July 06, 2016, 02:59:05 PM »
"You work full time and don't have a housekeeper?  That's just crazy!"

Teehee, I don't work (for pay) at all and I still have a housekeeper!  Though, I actually am canceling the service after the next visit because my change in job circumstances is relatively recent and now it no longer makes sense for me to pay for cleaning -- the time/cost analysis has completely changed.

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #13783 on: July 06, 2016, 03:20:58 PM »
I prefer mine from a chilewench. Chili is a dish with meat and beans.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13784 on: July 06, 2016, 03:39:52 PM »

Would recommend.

I may have to break my longstanding never-go-to-the-burbs-for-"ethnic"-food rule.

Didn't you get the memo?  Urban cities are hot again!  That means poor immigrants can't afford to live there, and have to move out to the burbs now.  That's where all the poor artists will have to go, too.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13785 on: July 06, 2016, 03:44:00 PM »

Hold the phone.  You don't like chili?  And you've clearly never been to Texas if you think Chili has beans.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #13786 on: July 06, 2016, 05:20:39 PM »
*snip*

It's also common forum etiquette to defer to those with higher post counts.  And to buy them chocolates every WalrusDay.

Okay, everybody, let's not forget that WalrusDay is November 24th, so mark your calendars!  Dragoncar, please post your full mailing address for us to all send you chocolates.

1 Yemen road
Yemen

Your friends don’t really seem to care too much that you’re leaving.

(I realize this is from a while back, but I was catching up on the thread).

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13787 on: July 06, 2016, 05:28:51 PM »

Hold the phone.  You don't like chili?  And you've clearly never been to Texas if you think Chili has beans.

Or Cincinnati, for that matter.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13788 on: July 06, 2016, 05:31:07 PM »
From yesterday...

For same reason you should carry a mortgage once fire and not pay off low interest debt. My millions are better served in the market  than tied up in a car.  House or otherwise. The banks are practically giving money away at today's interest rates. To tie in up in a house car or otherwise would be foolish.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13789 on: July 06, 2016, 06:33:16 PM »
From yesterday...

For same reason you should carry a mortgage once fire and not pay off low interest debt. My millions are better served in the market  than tied up in a car.  House or otherwise. The banks are practically giving money away at today's interest rates. To tie in up in a house car or otherwise would be foolish.

Most likely they will end up buying a Ferarri or Bentley, not something like a Honda Fit.  If I was a bank I would charge lottery winners a higher interest rate (if allowed by law) because they tend to go bankrupt quickly.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #13790 on: July 07, 2016, 06:53:45 AM »
From yesterday...

This is assuming they would get a low interest loan on a car though. No guarantee they're qualifying for 1.9% or whatever they're spouting on new car commercials.

mlejw6

• Stubble
« Reply #13791 on: July 07, 2016, 07:35:13 AM »

Never said I don't like chili. But, what they're talking about, to me, is chile.

And, you're right. Some chili doesn't have beans. I enjoy a good Cincinnati chili.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13792 on: July 07, 2016, 07:45:22 AM »

I'll bet if I use that to address my wife I won't get any more chili... (She makes WONDERFUL chili).

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13793 on: July 07, 2016, 07:57:26 AM »
And, you're right. Some chili doesn't have beans. I enjoy a good Cincinnati chili.
No, All chili doesn't have beans. If it has beans it's a stew. ;-)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #13794 on: July 07, 2016, 08:01:55 AM »

I'll bet if I use that to address my wife I won't get any more chili... (She makes WONDERFUL chili).

Unless you're dressed as a pirate, toting a bottle of rum and a box of chocolates.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13795 on: July 07, 2016, 08:14:37 AM »
Ahhhh, good approach!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13796 on: July 07, 2016, 10:30:36 AM »
*snip*

It's also common forum etiquette to defer to those with higher post counts.  And to buy them chocolates every WalrusDay.

Okay, everybody, let's not forget that WalrusDay is November 24th, so mark your calendars!  Dragoncar, please post your full mailing address for us to all send you chocolates.

1 Yemen road
Yemen

Your friends don’t really seem to care too much that you’re leaving.

(I realize this is from a while back, but I was catching up on the thread).

When we get to Yemen, can I live with you?

Never said I don't like chili. But, what they're talking about, to me, is chile.

We are talking about hot food, of which chili is one.  Specifically, frugal nacho made a pretend order for very spicy chili.  If you don't want any, that's fine more for us

I'd say chiliwench would be a good name for a chili stand (or truck) but would probably attract feminist protestors in these here parts
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:32:27 AM by dragoncar »

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #13797 on: July 07, 2016, 10:43:13 AM »

Would recommend.

IMO the best Indian food is in the suburbs.  Makes sense since most of the Indian population here lives...  in the suburbs.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13798 on: July 07, 2016, 11:37:06 AM »

Would recommend.

IMO the best Indian food is in the suburbs.  Makes sense since most of the Indian population here lives...  in the suburbs.

I completely agree, after all my mom makes the best Indian food in the world and she lives in the suburbs!

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13799 on: July 07, 2016, 11:54:25 AM »

Would recommend.

I completely agree, after all my mom makes the best Indian food in the world and she lives in the suburbs!

The rule came from a Vietnamese friend, so it probably depends on the type of food in question.