Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 4746833 times)

Taran Wanderer

• Bristles
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #9950 on: August 06, 2015, 03:05:16 PM »
Exactly.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
    • OhYongHao Life Blog
« Reply #9951 on: August 06, 2015, 03:13:00 PM »
Never had co-workers comment on it, but SWMBO has teased me about the fact that I typically just wear two pairs of pants (the same brand & style just different colors...) through the work week on alternating days with different button-down shirts & ties. It makes figuring out what to wear for better than half the week a piece of cake and gets me out the door a lot quicker. Ex-wife used to give me grief about wearing wrinkled shirts and pants to work until I pointed out that I worked in an office of engineers and that I'd never once heard anyone comment on anyone else's attire beyond giving someone grief for wearing a suit ("Got an interview today, eh?") out of the blue.

I worked in Asia for a while, and some of the women would wear the same blouse three days in a row. The men did too, but I didn't realize it until I saw some of the colorful women's clothes repeated. I do the same thing as you with both slacks and shirts. I hang the shirts up after I wear them and then re-wear them later in the week, and next week. As long as they're clean, unwrinkled, don't smell, and I haven't spilled anything on them, I figure it's cool. I've worn some pants for 2-3 months without dry cleaning. I rarely sweat and the office is cool, so it works. I don't have to wear button downs or ties, though.

Yup, that's pretty much what I do with the pants and shirts too- though my pants don't require dry cleaning (Duluth Trading Firehose pants). Unfortunately I'm clumsy enough that even with their non-stain properties I'll have to wash the pants every other week or so, but the shirts can generally go a month or so between washings (usually get work 3 times or so in that time). Everything else (including the undershirts I wear under the button-down shirt) gets washed after each time it's worn.

I technically don't HAVE to wear a dress shirt and tie- but it is appropriate to do so and I've got them, so most of the time I do- sometimes if it's hot and especially if I have to run errands on my bike over lunch I won't bother with the tie. If I'm in a hurry/am being lazy, I'll just grab a surprisingly controversial polo shirt instead and wear that.

I've worked out a system where I wear the same pants every day for a week, but alternate two shirts each day.  My wife my throw one out ahead of my schedule if she notices anything funny so then I'll have to grab another one.  I keep a long sleeve shirt at work during the summer because despite being a man I happen to get cold in the office because they keep it around 68F.  The long sleeve I may alternate once a week, or once every two weeks, but it lives in the office otherwise.

Luckily our work is very lax on the dress code, in fact I'm not even aware of a dress code other than not having open toed shoes in the lab (though that hasn't ironically stopped the lab admin from taking his shoes off while sitting at his desk in the lab and occasionally walking around in socks), so my cargo shorts, t-shirt, and plaid button up long sleeve with short socks and tennis shoes is perfectly okay.  I move towards jeans with plaid and a sometimes controversial t-shirt (like my Dawkins "Religion: Together we can find the cure") during the winter.

I've noticed other coworkers, especially the Asian ones, who also go with the same pants during the week.  I don't particularly pay attention to it, but the light blue shorts worn by the guy across the cube aisle from me can be loud at times.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #9952 on: August 06, 2015, 03:17:08 PM »

Relative:  "Tell me something about yourself that I won't find on your resume"
Interviewee:  "Ass-tat"

If I'm the interviewer (relative), my next step is to stand up, shake hands, thank the millennial for his time, and end the interview.  But maybe I'm just old fashioned that way.

Is this before or after asking to see it?
"What matters most is how well you walk through the fire. "

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9953 on: August 06, 2015, 04:05:02 PM »
Went to a job interview today. Its going well, I get to the end, and I have a good feeling. Guy starts talking about benefits. Health insurance is only covered at $125 per month, rest is paid by you. For someone with a family that is fairly shitty, but OK. Then he tells me that you do not start accruing paid time off until you have been with the company for a year. So if you get sick after 9 months on the job, its unpaid leave or come in coughing and hacking. WTF? That is the most draconian time off policy I have ever heard. Finally, he informs me that telecommuting regularly is not something this position can do despite it being a software development job. No 401(k) matching either. Ugh...

Zaga

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9954 on: August 06, 2015, 04:16:52 PM »
I thought I was being clever by buying multiples of some clothes that I liked. Turns out showing up in the exact same outfit multiple days in a row creates the impression you don't wash it. I had to explain that even though I was wearing identical clothes, they were not actually the same clothes.
Seems reasonable to me.  Tell people that it's your "work uniform" that you have so you don't have to make decisions in the morning.

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9955 on: August 06, 2015, 05:26:43 PM »
Went to a job interview today. Its going well, I get to the end, and I have a good feeling. Guy starts talking about benefits. Health insurance is only covered at $125 per month, rest is paid by you. For someone with a family that is fairly shitty, but OK. Then he tells me that you do not start accruing paid time off until you have been with the company for a year. So if you get sick after 9 months on the job, its unpaid leave or come in coughing and hacking. WTF? That is the most draconian time off policy I have ever heard. Finally, he informs me that telecommuting regularly is not something this position can do despite it being a software development job. No 401(k) matching either. Ugh...

Did you let them know that your salary expectations are now 25% higher than before considering the "benefits" they offer?

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9956 on: August 06, 2015, 06:03:04 PM »

If I'm in a hurry/am being lazy, I'll just grab a surprisingly controversial polo shirt instead and wear that.

LOL!

i still can't believe that everyone got so mad at me for calling polo shirts basic when the post right above mine said that anyone who wears short sleeved dress shirts should be capitally punished for having committed a crime against humanity.

That was me
I wasn't serious about the killing BTW.
The fact that I have to point this out makes me slightly less confident in the long term probability of success of the human race though :)

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9957 on: August 06, 2015, 06:09:10 PM »
From a coworker with a one year old child: "We're building a new house. The old one was only two thousand square feet, and that's just not enough once you have a kid."

Yeah.  They start walking at one.

madgeylou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Be Less Crazy
« Reply #9958 on: August 06, 2015, 06:35:58 PM »

If I'm in a hurry/am being lazy, I'll just grab a surprisingly controversial polo shirt instead and wear that.

LOL!

i still can't believe that everyone got so mad at me for calling polo shirts basic when the post right above mine said that anyone who wears short sleeved dress shirts should be capitally punished for having committed a crime against humanity.

That was me
The fact that I have to point this out makes me slightly less confident in the long term probability of success of the human race though :)

i understand that. :)

my comments were also somewhat tongue-in-cheek but somehow that got lost in translation i guess.
Be Less Crazy, my blog

Be Less Crazy About Your Body, my book

Madgecast, my podcast on resistance and resilience in 2017 America

My MMM journal

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9959 on: August 06, 2015, 06:58:26 PM »
This happened to me at my first job.  I had a closet full of clothes, but routinely wore the outfits that looked/felt best on me and fit well.      One of my friends noticed and one day predicted what I would wear the following day.  I was pretty stung at the time, but now I'm looking forward to actually creating a capsule wardrobe or project 33 or whatever it's called.  I'm over the hassle and stress of figuring  it out every day.

I've had coworkers comment that I repeat clothes a lot. Remind me why I live in image-centric NYC? Oh, right, husband's career can't be done anywhere else. Damnit.

This reminds me of something from an old workplace.  I'm not much interested in clothes shopping so I basically had 5 different work outfits for winter wear.  I find shopping for summer stuff more interesting so I had more than 5 outfits for summer wear.  Anyway, the office manager told me that the difference between me and her was that she had a huge wardrobe and that I had a lot of money in the bank.   :)      Could have been meant to be a put-down but I just didn't care. 

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #9960 on: August 06, 2015, 07:11:21 PM »
This happened to me at my first job.  I had a closet full of clothes, but routinely wore the outfits that looked/felt best on me and fit well.      One of my friends noticed and one day predicted what I would wear the following day.  I was pretty stung at the time, but now I'm looking forward to actually creating a capsule wardrobe or project 33 or whatever it's called.  I'm over the hassle and stress of figuring  it out every day.

I've had coworkers comment that I repeat clothes a lot. Remind me why I live in image-centric NYC? Oh, right, husband's career can't be done anywhere else. Damnit.

This reminds me of something from an old workplace.  I'm not much interested in clothes shopping so I basically had 5 different work outfits for winter wear.  I find shopping for summer stuff more interesting so I had more than 5 outfits for summer wear.  Anyway, the office manager told me that the difference between me and her was that she had a huge wardrobe and that I had a lot of money in the bank.   :)      Could have been meant to be a put-down but I just didn't care.

Funny how she may have meant it as a put down but to you it's a compliment ;)

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9961 on: August 06, 2015, 08:39:16 PM »
The "real" world is a much less toxic, frustrating, and obstructive place than school is.

School is this really weird, fake environment. I've left toxic workplaces and jobs, but you usually can't leave a class with the same situation. I've since run into girls who terrorized me in school, and we got along fine, once we weren't forced to spend every day together. No adult would put up with what many schoolchildren do, let alone for free. Yet we expect it of kids, who have far fewer emotional resources and coping skills than adults.

Exactly. You can socialize your children without letting them be exposed to such negativity and consumerism on a daily basis.
Get cash back on your online shopping from Mr Rebates (hotels, flights, ebay, groupon and more): http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=453502 (referral link, thank you!)

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9962 on: August 06, 2015, 08:55:28 PM »

That was me

my comments were also somewhat tongue-in-cheek but somehow that got lost in translation i guess.

Ah ah fantastic!
To add to the confusion I will say that I love the basicness of polos :)

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9963 on: August 06, 2015, 08:56:01 PM »

That was me

Ah ah fantastic!

nazar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9964 on: August 06, 2015, 08:59:54 PM »
At lunch a co-worker at the table mentioned that they can't get promoted to a position they want because they don't have a degree.  They surprised me by saying next "so I went to the community college to get some information."

"That's great.  Are you going to enroll for the fall term"

"No. It cost too much."

"But we have a tuition reimbursement program."

"You don't get paid back until you finish the class.  I can't afford that."

Mental facepalm.  Saving up about $200 that you will eventually get paid back to improve your career prospects and future earnings costs too much? 

Turns out they had a whole bunch of other complainypants objections:  Too many classes needed for a degree, you have to take courses that have nothing to do with work, and they found it unbelievable they can't just get an MBA without getting another degree first.

So what job had they applied for that is being so unreasonable about their educational requirements?  Senior Financial Analyst (at a publicly traded megacorp that pretty much has their choice of qualified candidates).  Why were they interested in the position?  It is a much better pay grade.  Had they worked in a similar position before?  No, but they felt the company should promote from within instead of hiring from the outside.  Do they know what the job entails?  No, but they should be willing to train them.  I did not point out that providing a tuition program IS a means to acquire the necessary skills.  I gave up at that point.

LennStar

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9965 on: August 07, 2015, 03:27:31 AM »
I have this theory that stuff has become so cheap relative to income that just having a lot of stuff is no longer impressive.

1. Sourcing particularly exotic, special or rare stuff, showing they have the cultural savvy, time and money to do that. See: vintage clothing, small batch artisanal foodstuffs, listening to a band nobody has ever heard of, etc.

My "centerpiece" are 4 pictures of the 4 seasons in manga style, playing Go. Fairly rare. I also bought a one-of-its-kind fan from the same person together with them.
I didnt hunt, I just liked them and I payed less then 30€ including postal cost. Every time I look at them I feel better. THATs what you should hunt for if you really must hunt.

Also I think I still wear one or two clothes from school time (more then a decade ago). They are old, so what? Still not falling apart, keeping me warm.
I do have a few "special" geeky T-Shirts that I only wear when meeting the geeky people, those who understand them (there are 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary and those who dont), because it would not be fun otherwise, but thats about all I think about in everyday clothing.

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #9966 on: August 07, 2015, 05:47:27 AM »
Also I think I still wear one or two clothes from school time (more then a decade ago). They are old, so what? Still not falling apart, keeping me warm.
I can remember when I had this realisation. Such a silly thing to have to "realise" but thinking about it a bit more I think it had a lot to do with the fact that as a kid, I got new clothes every summer and new clothes every school year and, almost always, a new outfit for christmas. Not an entirely new wardrobe all the time and a lot of what I wore was hand-me-downs from my older sisters but it was still firmly fixed in my head as somthing you were supposed to do - go shopping for new t-shirts at the beginning of summer, buy new shoes in September and that kind of thing. But while that might make sense as a kid when you're growing out of the stuff way faster than you're wearing it out, it doesn't make quite so much sense as an adult. And it wasn't until I saw a colleague (and I worked with her when I was 26/27) wearing a sweatshirt from Penneys that was the same as one I had had about ten years before that the penny dropped. I loved that sweatshirt, it was really comfy and I even loved it so much that when I ripped a hole in it, I repaired it (badly - oh how my stepmother hated how it looked after that). But I still stopped wearing it after a couple of years because that's just what you were supposed to do, I thought. Seems so silly now but it was a huge epiphany for me at the time.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9967 on: August 07, 2015, 07:22:32 AM »
At lunch a co-worker at the table mentioned that they can't get promoted to a position they want because they don't have a degree.  They surprised me by saying next "so I went to the community college to get some information."

"No. It cost too much."

Mental facepalm.  Saving up about $200 that you will eventually get paid back to improve your career prospects and future earnings costs too much? 

Turns out they had a whole bunch of other complainypants objections:  Too many classes needed for a degree, you have to take courses that have nothing to do with work, and they found it unbelievable they can't just get an MBA without getting another degree first.

So what job had they applied for that is being so unreasonable about their educational requirements?  Senior Financial Analyst (at a publicly traded megacorp that pretty much has their choice of qualified candidates).  Why were they interested in the position?  It is a much better pay grade.  Had they worked in a similar position before?  No, but they felt the company should promote from within instead of hiring from the outside.  Do they know what the job entails?  No, but they should be willing to train them.  I did not point out that providing a tuition program IS a means to acquire the necessary skills.  I gave up at that point.
This always amazes me.  If you spend the $200 and the time to get a degree, you get $5000 more per year for the rest of your life.  Compounded, that can be substantial.

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9968 on: August 07, 2015, 07:23:16 AM »

"No. It cost too much."

Wow, that just smacks of a huge entitlement mentality. "I should be given the job I'm not qualified for just because I want it."

Aside from 2 semesters of college loans, that kind of tuition reimbursement program is exactly how I (mostly) paid for my degree. Took me 11 years but I was student debt free* at the end of it.

*I failed out of my first college attempt (Hooray young and dumb me!) so the student loan payments were no longer deferred. I was working full time, going to school part time, paying the loan back, and paying whatever the tuition reimbursement didn't cover all concurrently. I won't claim I made the best financial decisions back then and I certainly wasn't mustachian by any stretch, but I also knew I really had to finish school to maximize job potential. i.e. Xerox and Kodak, the 2 largest employers in my area at the time, would not hire people without 4 year degrees into engineering positions.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #9969 on: August 07, 2015, 07:30:21 AM »

If I'm the interviewer (relative), my next step is to stand up, shake hands, thank the millennial for his time, and end the interview.  But maybe I'm just old fashioned that way.

I wouldn't trust someone who talks about their ass-tat in an interview for any job outside sex work or a tattoo parlor to interact with clients properly.

Why do you assume that the job involves interacting with clients? Depending on the nature of the job, and the rest of the interview, I would either be very impressed with the candidate's sense of humor, or very put off. But personally, I think the type of professionalism that is expected in most work environments today is one of the worst things about having a job. I think we should all have more fun at work.
“There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.” -John Ruskin

My Woodworking Blog

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #9970 on: August 07, 2015, 08:16:25 AM »
Slow day in the office, which leads to long conversations with a colleague who is temporarily sitting by me. Clearly I've been chatting away while silently inwardly judging, because I'm a terrible person taht way.

I started talking about how charity shops are the best because you can get quality clothes really cheap.
She talked about how she gets good value by asking for a discount in a designer shop when she's making a lot of purchases in one go.

She mentioned that she recently replaced her entire kitchen because she was bored with it. This included installing 2 pizza ovens (one for her, one for her kids), and.... wait for it... throwing away all of her cutlery and buying new cutlery, because she wanted it all to be gold. I assume she meant gold coloured.

This then led on to her bemoaning how hard it must be for young people today.

She also mentioned which 'brands' her husband and kids are. Hollister and Abercrombie are apparently the brands of her children. Not what brands they like... what brands they ARE. (Do they come with washing instructions?)

Her conversations revolve around: brands, new purchases, favourite shops, what she's planning to buy next. From what I gather she's very wealthy (husband is paid a lot) and she's mentioned before that she doesn't need this job for the money. It's just to get her out of the house.

All that money they apparently have... and it's being spent on gold cutlery and Hollister clothes. And she willingly gives up hours of her own time to work in an office doing admin. It is not logical, captain.

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9971 on: August 07, 2015, 08:44:59 AM »
I assume she meant gold coloured.
After reading all that I wouldn't make that assumption....

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9972 on: August 07, 2015, 08:50:31 AM »
Hollister and Abercrombie are apparently the brands of her children. Not what brands they like... what brands they ARE.
Designer babies! Wait till Apple here about this, only apple children will be allowed to have rounded corners.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 10:58:42 AM by nobodyspecial »

Taran Wanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #9973 on: August 07, 2015, 09:44:06 AM »
Not just clients.  What is they something like that to a peer on another team?  Or my boss?

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #9974 on: August 07, 2015, 10:09:46 AM »
Not just clients.  What is they something like that to a peer on another team?  Or my boss?

Like I said, it depends on the nature of the job. I've had bosses that would probably hire somebody specifically because they said that in an interview. Not every employee needs to be a polished little customer-relations jewel.
“There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.” -John Ruskin

My Woodworking Blog

lifeinhd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9975 on: August 07, 2015, 10:12:08 AM »
Everyone here is incredibly Antimustachian. I work in IT, but I work for a company in a blue collar industry, so most of the guys smoke or dip, they buy a lot from the vending machines, own a lot of guns, drive large pickups and SUVs, etc.. They do seem to bring lunch pretty consistently, which is excellent. Thing is, I don't converse with most of them, since they're always going to job sites whereas I'm stuck in an office, so I don't have any great stories.

Except from our warehouse worker.

He's a great guy, but he's in poor health. Very obese, drinks a couple sodas every day, only gets exercise walking between his desk and the forklift. We were discussing my biking-to-work habit (yes, I'm probably the only one who has ever done this in the 50 years this company has existed) and how this area is incredibly bike-unfriendly. He mentioned that he only lives a mile away, and back when he lost his license, he would sometimes walk it. I said "oh yeah, that's such an easy walk and an even easier bike ride, I don't think I'd ever drive if I lived that close" and he laughed and said "bike? I don't think they make a tire big enough to hold me!" Guess he'll keep commuting that mile in his V8 F150.

Now to contribute to the foam:

I think I had to go back 2 years to find someone in MS/HS with my name (granted small school), but at my current company of 35 employees, 5 of us are Ryans.

My company employs ~70 people. There are at least four Ryans. What is up with that name....

If a man gets offended by being addressed in a group as "ladies," he can grow a thicker skin or fuck off.
MOD NOTE: This topic has pretty much exhausted itself and i'm tired of getting reports. Time to drop it folks.
The reverse also applies.

folks

folks

The irony was not lost on me.

Ghzbani

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9976 on: August 07, 2015, 11:15:48 AM »
I saw all that "basic" talk and thought people were really getting into old school programming languages or alkaline chemistry. But no, it's just clothes. In fact, clothes that are even more boring than normal clothes. What a letdown.

Agreed. For the past 2 pages I've been trying to come up with a good chemistry pun, hopefully one that includes foam.

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #9977 on: August 07, 2015, 11:58:07 AM »
I assume she meant gold coloured.
After reading all that I wouldn't make that assumption....
I dunno about that; gold is a soft metal, and it would fare even poorer when heat is involved. If anything, gold-plated stainless steel.

If a man gets offended by being addressed in a group as "ladies," he can grow a thicker skin or fuck off.
MOD NOTE: This topic has pretty much exhausted itself and i'm tired of getting reports. Time to drop it folks.
The reverse also applies.
Ah, I know that this is an older post, but it's something I can relate to! While at restaurants with even one female friend, we are often referred to as "ladies" (I am a guy btw). I've also been addressed by "miss" and "ma'am" while ordering face-to-face. I find it amusing~
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 12:08:12 PM by KittyCat »

Avidconsumer

• Stubble
« Reply #9978 on: August 07, 2015, 01:03:16 PM »

That was me

Ah ah fantastic!

What's basic? Walking in Camden town in London it may be easy to assume that there are a bunch of unique people wearing very unique outfits, but is it really unique when everyone is trying to stand out and actually look very similar with their colorful hair and outfits.

Basic changes all the time. Look at the hunger games for example. It would be quite easy to stand out from the crowd wearing a "basic" polo shirt in the city.

A manager wearing a polo shirt instead of a shirt actually stands out in an office and a lot more comfortable than the normal attire.

Suits, shirts and ties have been slowly dying out in offices and I can definitely see it dying out completely in the future as there is no real comfort in wearing a suit. Polo shirts/short sleeve shirts are the natural progression. Shoes have been progressing gradually as well.

So what's basic? It really depends on your environment in my opinion.

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9979 on: August 07, 2015, 01:22:53 PM »

Hollister and Abercrombie are apparently the brands of her children. Not what brands they like... what brands they ARE.
Designer babies! Wait till Apple here about this, only apple children will be allowed to have rounded corners.
LOL

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9980 on: August 07, 2015, 01:27:03 PM »
@avidconsumer: we were both just joking. Polos are awesome, I wear them all the time outside of work

oneday

• Pencil Stache
  • One Slice
« Reply #9981 on: August 07, 2015, 04:50:36 PM »
Not finance related, but gave me a good belly laugh on a Friday afternoon:

CW1:  Maybe you [did this piece of work] at store#1, then when you were at store#2, since you couldn't see that it was done (because it was at store #1), you did the same work again?
CW2 (with attitude): I'm not working THAT hard!
Motto for 2017: “A year from now you may wish you had started today.” ~ Karen Lamb

Journal: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/guess-i'll-start-a-journal-oneday/

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9982 on: August 07, 2015, 05:21:32 PM »
Not finance related, but gave me a good belly laugh on a Friday afternoon:

CW1:  Maybe you [did this piece of work] at store#1, then when you were at store#2, since you couldn't see that it was done (because it was at store #1), you did the same work again?
CW2 (with attitude): I'm not working THAT hard!

I once had two clients who needed the exact same program written for them at the same time, so I wrote it and billed them both for the work.   It was sweet!

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #9983 on: August 07, 2015, 08:41:56 PM »

He's a great guy, but he's in poor health. Very obese, drinks a couple sodas every day, only gets exercise walking between his desk and the forklift. We were discussing my biking-to-work habit (yes, I'm probably the only one who has ever done this in the 50 years this company has existed) and how this area is incredibly bike-unfriendly. He mentioned that he only lives a mile away, and back when he lost his license, he would sometimes walk it. I said "oh yeah, that's such an easy walk and an even easier bike ride, I don't think I'd ever drive if I lived that close" and he laughed and said "bike? I don't think they make a tire big enough to hold me!" Guess he'll keep commuting that mile in his V8 F150.

I have a coworker who drives less than a mile to work, in an SUV (not sure what kind). I used to live close to him, and would always walk or bike the 1.9 miles I had to go, and he said I was crazy. Um... by the time you go around to the back of the building (where employee parking is), find a spot, etc., you've probably doubled your commute and could walk it just as fast.
There are no impossible obstacles, there are only stronger and weaker wills. (Jules Verne)

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9984 on: August 07, 2015, 09:11:50 PM »
Popped collars are a prep school subculture thing; everyone popped them where I went to high school. Apparently, we are now lighting teenagers on fire for making dubious fashion choices, which seems rather cruel.

Must just be regional, or you went to high school a long time ago. I've hung out with plenty of polo-shirt, white shorts, boat shoes kind of guys (who, yes, were all in frats)- never seen the popped collar. But that was in Texas, not New England.

I've never been a fashion-plate. I'm sure people judge me for my laziness, but whatever. As long as I don't look like I smell bad (and don't smell bad) that's good enough for me.  I have nice outfits for client meetings.

Teenagers have always made bad fashion choices, and adults (and other teens) have always judged them for it. I used to joke that the way you could tell I wasn't a student when I worked at a university (I look very young for my age) was my shoes. I usually wore something like Merrells- comfortable, easy to walk in. The girls going to class- man they all wore some crazy 'fashionable' shoes.

I'm 26, so not a long time ago. It may well be a New England thing; I've never lived anywhere other than New England or New York. Did your type of preppies wear Nantucket Reds? I don't know if those are a New England thing too, but I had coveted an awesome Nantucket Red miniskirt with tiny blue lobsters embroidered on it when I was in high school. The boys wore the pants version.
Yeah, I was gonna say, popped collars were a big trend when I was in law school, sometime around 2006-ish, in Virginia.  It was a very polarizing thing -- either you loved the popped collar, or you hated it.  I generally found the guys popping their collars to be pretty arrogant.  Anyhow, count me in favor of guys wearing polos -- collars down, of course!

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9985 on: August 07, 2015, 09:20:10 PM »
I actually just went to get a (hot) coffee and switched over to an open office in another building because it was so damn cold in my seating area. I would have just went home but I don't want to push it. I'll take a bit of fresh air and different atmosphere, but seriously, when people have to bring in hoodie's because they're so cold and it's 90+ outside, there's an issue.  I'm going to wear a bright plaid flannel tomorrow since my light hoodie isn't enough.
A few years back, my firm gave a bunch of us nice black fleece jackets with a small print of our logo on the breast.  Several of us ladies keep them in the office to put on over our sweaters while we work!

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #9986 on: August 08, 2015, 05:09:26 AM »

I wouldn't trust someone who talks about their ass-tat in an interview for any job outside sex work or a tattoo parlor to interact with clients properly.

Why do you assume that the job involves interacting with clients? Depending on the nature of the job, and the rest of the interview, I would either be very impressed with the candidate's sense of humor, or very put off. But personally, I think the type of professionalism that is expected in most work environments today is one of the worst things about having a job. I think we should all have more fun at work.

You can't. As this thread and whole community shows, there are people who go through life apparently seeking out ways to be offended. And sometimes they push others to be offended. So until this growing chunk of the population is somehow eliminated, no fun to be had.

One coworker was 'complaining' that one of the two engines on his boat was acting up. Another commented 'you need something to do with your disposable income'

I am pretty sure they both are in decent shape though.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9987 on: August 08, 2015, 07:05:43 AM »

A few years back, my firm gave a bunch of us nice black fleece jackets with a small print of our logo on the breast.  Several of us ladies keep them in the office to put on over our sweaters while we work!

I was so happy when work gave me a fleece with a logo. It's a men's size, so it is way too big for me, but I feel like it is "official" so I don't even feel guilty about wearing it everyday, like I did with my regular fleece (which I always worried was too casual, but then I was too cold to really care.)

PizzaHawk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Is it time to watch hockey yet?
« Reply #9988 on: August 08, 2015, 07:57:48 AM »
CW and I recently "moved" from CO to WY for a temporary work assignment. Talking at work, mentioned that I still haven't gotten internet service (been here a month) at my apartment here, and probably won't.

CW: But what do you do in the evening??
Me: Read, workout, various hobbies, etc. I've got my phone for miscellaneous internet, and I can use the computers at the library if I need anything more in depth.
CW: The library is for poor people.
Me: It's one of the ways I save money so I'll never be poor.
*Blank stares from CW and a few other people that overheard* CW just walks away.

gaja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9989 on: August 08, 2015, 11:18:51 AM »
This thread moves to fast, so I'll just drag til hog discussion up again:
If the hunting trip is in Texas, that's a pretty cheap figure. Unlike more normal parts of the United States, there is very little huntable land in TX. So the land owners can charge thousands to people even for hunting quail, turkeys, or deer. Then there are the big game ranches, where you pay sometimes in the tens of thousands to 'stalk' exotic African and Asian ungulates.

Texas is the 2nd biggest state with over a quarter million square miles.  Does it really have very little huntable land?  I find that mind boggling.

Don't they pay people to hunt feral pigs? I heard there were millions of them creating property damage around the state.

They, meaning landowners? Probably some do. The etiquette that is often practiced is that if you 'know someone' and get an in to hunt for free on their land, you shoot any feral hogs you see as a matter of courtesy. If you feel ambitious, you can butcher them for meat, but hog butchering is apparently a whole new level of gross (I've never tried, though I've helped butcher many deer and butchered various small game), so many hunters just leave the hogs and don't bother.

They meaning the government.  Many counties offer a tiny reward for each hog bagged.

How is butchering a hog a new level of gross above butchering a deer, or a domesticated hog?  Seems like it would be worth it for all that free pork.

I had to Google for info, but yes apparently some Texas counties pay between 2 and 5$ per hog.  But again, you need access to land first, so I'm not sure if that applies on private and public lands, or what. I haven't been around feral hog butchering, so can't speak from first hand experience. Several people who are experienced hunters said the fat is very greasy and stinky, which makes it more unpleasant than average.

Apparently, whether you taste and smell the stinky element of hog meat, is up to your DNA: http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0035259
If you are  androstenone-sensitive, it will smell and taste like sour piss and sweat. If you are not, it will taste like any pork.
Travelling southern Norway, Iceland and the Faroes in an electric car: http://travelelectric.blogspot.no/

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9990 on: August 08, 2015, 11:54:39 AM »

You can't. As this thread and whole community shows, there are people who go through life apparently seeking out ways to be offended. And sometimes they push others to be offended. So until this growing chunk of the population is somehow eliminated, no fun to be had.

Oh calm down.

Taran Wanderer

• Bristles
« Reply #9991 on: August 08, 2015, 06:16:23 PM »

Oh calm down.

I'm not offended by the ass-tat comment, but I recognize that it's impolite and someone else might be offended.  To not recognize that it is potentially offensive indicates a lack of judgment, and this is a risk in the workplace.  So, interview is over.  Now over beers among friends after work, it would be worth a good laugh.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9992 on: August 08, 2015, 08:46:24 PM »
I'm not offended by the ass-tat comment, but I recognize that it's impolite and someone else might be offended.  To not recognize that it is potentially offensive indicates a lack of judgment, and this is a risk in the workplace.  So, interview is over.
And the developer goes to the competing startup across the road, they get to market first and they get the $Bn call from Google
In my business competent qualified candidates with tourettes would still be considered a great find.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 08:55:06 PM by nobodyspecial »

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9993 on: August 08, 2015, 08:57:06 PM »
You're in software? So is my husband. Relative to every other industry I've worked in, qualified engineers get an enormous amount of leeway.
Worse than that - I'm in the "sorry you only have a PhD from where?" area of software in medical diagnostics.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:11:44 PM by nobodyspecial »

Brilliantine

• Stubble
« Reply #9994 on: August 08, 2015, 09:06:35 PM »
I'm actually in software and this kid fits what we would call a "little-head" (rosh katan, from Hebrew) type. The kind of person who follows an instruction to the letter but refuses to honor the spirit of it. You know, the funny guy who answers "Yes, I do" when you ask him "do you have the time?"

These types usually perform just good enough. You ask the person to fix a bug in the software and they go and fix that bug, AND THAT BUG ONLY.  In reality, there are probably more bugs in that particular part of the sotware that anyone who looks closely enough can see and should be able to fix. The best performers either go look for similar bugs in the entire body of code and come up with a fix for all of them or at least fix all similar bugs in the immediate vicinity.

We don't like these "little-head" types. So, no. The guy who answered "ass-tat" doesn't get hired. And in my experience he doesn't have the drive to go start the next Google.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 09:13:51 PM by Brilliantine »

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9995 on: August 08, 2015, 09:17:01 PM »
We did have a hiring game once where we asked the stupid "what's your greatest weakness" question and decided we would hire anyone who said kryptonite, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle or being limited to the speed of light.

Saying they had an ass-tat would just sound silly, having one on view during the interview would be almost normal ( http://www.amazon.com/The-Nudist-Late-Shift-Silicon/dp/0767906039 )

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9996 on: August 09, 2015, 05:48:18 AM »
We did have a hiring game once where we asked the stupid "what's your greatest weakness" question and decided we would hire anyone who said kryptonite, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle or being limited to the speed of light.

Saying they had an ass-tat would just sound silly, having one on view during the interview would be almost normal ( http://www.amazon.com/The-Nudist-Late-Shift-Silicon/dp/0767906039 )

And I thought 'chocolate' was the best way to answer that bad interview question!

Jenni

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9997 on: August 09, 2015, 10:02:13 AM »
I learn a lot here. Including that in some areas people have been popping collars post-James Spader teenage villain 80s movies.

Lol, libraries are for the poors. Great response!

Zamboni

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9998 on: August 09, 2015, 10:22:34 AM »
One of my friends once told me that he never goes to the library because libraries are for unattended schoolchildren and hobos.

"Ass-tat" interview answer guy would not be hired by me. To put this in context, when I had a co-worked moon me with his yellow smiley face ass-tat, I thought it was hilarious because, in the particular situation we were in, it was hilarious. So it's not that I'm uptight or don't think it's funny, it's just that he gave such an obviously terribly inappropriate response given the situation. I agree that he is probably a "small head" (love that phrase, by the way.)

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #9999 on: August 09, 2015, 05:15:40 PM »
I actually just went to get a (hot) coffee and switched over to an open office in another building because it was so damn cold in my seating area. I would have just went home but I don't want to push it. I'll take a bit of fresh air and different atmosphere, but seriously, when people have to bring in hoodie's because they're so cold and it's 90+ outside, there's an issue.  I'm going to wear a bright plaid flannel tomorrow since my light hoodie isn't enough.

I too have to wear a hoodie or sweater at work. My current place a thick hoodie is enough, but a job I worked a few years ago there was a row of us who brought in thick hats, mittens, and parkas because it was so flipping cold. And no, it wasn't just the ladies!