Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253043 times)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #9750 on: August 05, 2015, 01:11:24 PM »
Seriously, thousands of office workers are not going to drop dead if the 68s or 72 were now set to 78 instead.

Obviously not, but vast quantities of us are not going to like it or stand for it so you don't have to put on a sweater.

No we're just going to destroy the environment so you don't have to wear shorts. (ecology being the context iowajes is responding to here)

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9751 on: August 05, 2015, 01:13:22 PM »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #9752 on: August 05, 2015, 01:22:42 PM »
I believe you'll find this much tastier.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #9753 on: August 05, 2015, 01:29:02 PM »
Also, since when are we defined by our clothing/style/look? Am I on the correct forum?

:-) I could care less what people wear, but what you chose to wear does reflect something about you, whether you want it to or not, even if what it says is 'i don't give a fuck'.  So you're a generic person, own it ;-P

Wait so I'm a "generic" person because I have to wear a polo / business casual for my work every day? Way not be a judgemental prick sir...

Lame conversation is lame!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9754 on: August 05, 2015, 01:31:40 PM »
Seriously, thousands of office workers are not going to drop dead if the 68s or 72 were now set to 78 instead.

Obviously not, but vast quantities of us are not going to like it or stand for it so you don't have to put on a sweater.

I wasn't replying about comfort. I was replying to this
"That article is smug nonsense. Some offices overuse air conditioning, but the USA is much hotter than most of Europe (the idea that Washington and Berlin have similar climates is wrong). And when Europe has heat waves, tens of thousands of people die. The 2003 heat wave killed 70,000 people."

I really don't care I have to wear a fleece all summer long.  There are a few days I also add gloves.

I know our office manager cares how high the bills are, because I hear her bitch about them constantly. 

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9755 on: August 05, 2015, 01:47:23 PM »
Hey we're pumping pollution in the air at multiple times what still-very-first-world-wasteful Europe is doing and our AC costs are insane and hurting the bottom line, but 68 in an office in Miami during August feels so great!

Makes total sense.

Also, when I will buy a car I'll probably get this:

Yeah it's maybe a bit big and gas mileage is not great (around Zero miles per gallon), but it's so comfortable to have more storage space

jordanread

« Reply #9756 on: August 05, 2015, 01:51:06 PM »
Sounds like you should rewatch the "War Stories" episode (it's the one with Niska--the guy who hired them for the train job) torturing Mal/Wash.  :)
Just last night, I was thinking about marathonning the whole ruttin' series, no joke.

My AirBnB listing is called Serenity, FFS >.<

Firefly keychains and all >.<

I binge the entire series at least once a year.
As should everyone!

+1

I put in my $.02 as far as the AC argument, and am not going to get sucked in even further.

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #9757 on: August 05, 2015, 02:37:08 PM »
I'm with your coworkers.  I'm sitting here in my office in a long sleeve dress shirt, undershirt, and wool dress pants.  If it's 80* in here, I'm leaving.  I came in over the weekend to prepare for a presentation this AM, and even in my t-shirt and basketball shorts it was uncomfortable at 85* with the A/C off over the weekend (news to me they did that).  I grew up in a house without central air, nothing about that is "better".
I prefer to dress in seasonally appropriate business clothing with short-sleeve dress shirts and summer-weight trousers, but most of my male coworkers seem not to understand that option is available to them.

If everyone is dressing one way at work except for you, it could be that they are not all wrong.  I work for an old, established, large company.  The culture here is you wear long sleeves and dress pants.  The temperature is set to account for that.  You can fight it, but you won't win.

Or, it could be that they are.   https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/07/22/europe-to-america-your-love-of-air-conditioning-is-stupid/

Over air conditioning is super wasteful and using the excuse of the long-time good old boys' culture as to why the company can't progress is a lame one.

That article is smug nonsense. Some offices overuse air conditioning, but the USA is much hotter than most of Europe (the idea that Washington and Berlin have similar climates is wrong). And when Europe has heat waves, tens of thousands of people die. The 2003 heat wave killed 70,000 people.

See this excellent rebuttal of the Washington Post article.

Not so sure that you read the whole article.
It wasn't smug.
It raises an excellent point. If we stopped with our wasteful practices, maybe, just maybe we could contribute rather than taking...all...of...the...time.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9758 on: August 05, 2015, 02:47:59 PM »
Hey we're pumping pollution in the air at multiple times what still-very-first-world-wasteful Europe is doing and our AC costs are insane and hurting the bottom line, but 68 in an office in Miami during August feels so great!

Makes total sense.

Also, when I will buy a car I'll probably get this:

Yeah it's maybe a bit big and gas mileage is not great (around Zero miles per gallon), but it's so comfortable to have more storage space

Why buy a little wimpy truck like that when you could be a powerhouse and drive this <edited for sexism - I'm working on it ladies, but I'm still a work in progress>:

Source: http://truckspicture.com/dodge-ram-3500-dually-for-sale/

NO! What you need is the Marauder, as seen on Top Gear.  http://tinyurl.com/olmx35m

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9759 on: August 05, 2015, 02:59:11 PM »
Sorry, can't resist adding to the A/C foam. I'm one of the always cold women, though I'm really lucky in my office, it's usually ok as long as I have a sweater. No extreme measures needed!

There is a thing with how women's bodies are put together vs men's. Because we have the babies, our bodies are designed to keep our cores warm, period. This is done at the expense of warming our extremities. We're more susceptible to frostbite, hypothermia, etc as a result. All else being equal, a man will feel warmer than a woman in the same environment.

Gentlemen, think of all the women you know. How many of them always or frequently have cold hands or feet, regardless of the temperature? Biology.

When you add the lighter clothing that women tend wear in the summer as compared to men, it just makes it worse. In the winter the playing field is leveled a little because we can wear multiple layers if so desired and no one will know.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #9760 on: August 05, 2015, 03:05:14 PM »
Shorter Chris22: I'm comfortable at lower temperatures and you're comfortable at higher temperatures. Therefore, we should stick with lower temperatures.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9761 on: August 05, 2015, 03:09:01 PM »
Shorter Chris22: I'm comfortable at lower temperatures and you're comfortable at higher temperatures. Therefore, we should stick with lower temperatures.

Well that is pretty logical--you can put on more clothes; I can only take off so much before people start yelling at me :P

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9762 on: August 05, 2015, 03:23:21 PM »

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9763 on: August 05, 2015, 03:24:57 PM »
In the next year or so, I might buy this:

Go ahead, talk shit, I can take it.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9764 on: August 05, 2015, 03:34:34 PM »

Well that is pretty logical--you can put on more clothes; I can only take off so much before people start yelling at me :P

But according to Chris22 he does wear a lot of clothes he could take off.
I'm with your coworkers.  I'm sitting here in my office in a long sleeve dress shirt, undershirt, and wool dress pants.  If it's 80* in here, I'm leaving.  I came in over the weekend to prepare for a presentation this AM, and even in my t-shirt and basketball shorts it was uncomfortable at 85* with the A/C off over the weekend (news to me they did that).  I grew up in a house without central air, nothing about that is "better".
So he's arguing we should keep it cold despite the ecological impact and despite the fact that we could just change the dress code for men. (Actually I don't think that's precisely what Chris22 is saying himself, but that seems to be the archetypal argument.)

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9765 on: August 05, 2015, 03:37:11 PM »

Dude. Seriously? FRC or Z06 is the only way to go.  Pshaw.

At least you got the color right.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9766 on: August 05, 2015, 03:41:21 PM »

One day I also hope to own a picture of a sportscar

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9767 on: August 05, 2015, 04:22:26 PM »
I want either the Z06 or targa-top coupe. Don't want the non-Z FRC or convertible. Who wants an FRC, come on?

jordanread

« Reply #9768 on: August 05, 2015, 04:47:23 PM »
I want either the Z06 or targa-top coupe. Don't want the non-Z FRC or convertible. Who wants an FRC, come on?

Personally, I'm all about the (insert random collection of letters and/or numbers here). Because who wants that eh?

Just kidding, cars aren't my thing. I drive an '88 Sentra, and I'm totally fine with that, although I feel like I should bike anytime I drive. Now that I can get behind. I have an '02 Specialized RockHopper hardtail (redundant...I know) with an armadillo rear wheel and a stock front one.

I hate to make this thread even worse, but I've put over 10000 miles on this, and I think I win. I don't care what forum I'm on. :) I've already got my dream ride, and am 5 years away from FIRE.

jordanread

« Reply #9769 on: August 05, 2015, 04:56:48 PM »

One day I also hope to own a picture of a sportscar

Personally, I'm all about the (insert random collection of letters and/or numbers here). Because who wants that eh?

Just kidding, cars aren't my thing. I drive an '88 Sentra, and I'm totally fine with that, although I feel like I should bike anytime I drive. Now that I can get behind. I have an '02 Specialized RockHopper hardtail (redundant...I know) with an armadillo rear wheel and a stock front one.

I hate to make this thread even worse, but I've put over 10000 miles on this, and I think I win. I don't care what forum I'm on. :) I've already got my dream ride, and am 5 years away from FIRE.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9770 on: August 05, 2015, 05:14:39 PM »
We were discussing personal data security challenges and solutions when someone said, “Hey, Metta, what do you do? You have money you’re protecting, right?”

I started to explain my data security strategy when a coworker interrupted and said, “The best way to protect your financial accounts is to spend all your money each month. If you save your money your accounts will be vulnerable to hackers but if you spend it they can’t get to it.”

Me, rolling my eyes: “Seriously?”

Coworker: “It’s what I do and it works great for us.”

What can you say in response to that?

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9771 on: August 05, 2015, 05:22:06 PM »
You could tell him that if for whatever reason he fails to spend it all one month you can free him from his excess cash.
For a small fee obviously

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9772 on: August 05, 2015, 05:37:50 PM »
Hehe, at my last job I was freezing all the time.  We had individual offices, and every time I moved into a new one I'd put in a facilities request for "too cold".  The guy that came would try to do some stuff with the vent, and it helped redirect the airflow a little, but it was still always freezing.  One of them commented: "The women always complain that it's too cold, and the men complain that it's too hot!"  When one of our female coworkers was pregnant the guys made a concerted effort to up the temperature in her office by altering some of the vents in the ceiling.

Now that I work in a mostly-female company, I find the temperature most of the time to be just right.  Amusingly though, the women here still think it's too cold, and we had to limit the number of space heaters allowed because it was putting a dangerous strain on our building's resources.  I guess all the years of working in freezing offices have somewhat upped my tolerance for cold!

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9773 on: August 05, 2015, 07:12:05 PM »
Chatting with the boss about terrible city politics and one of my employees says that his dream is to have enough money to be able to say whatever he wanted to anyone.  Which is a fantastic dream.  I brought up the concept of FU money, and dropped my FIRE number of $600,000 invested with a 4% safe withdrawal rate.  Less, of course, if the house is paid off.  The looks I got!

Boss said something along the lines of "the more money you have, the more money it takes to live."
Me: I'm quite happy where I am.  I'm not going to start spending more just because it becomes available to me.
Boss: I guarantee that when you can walk into a store and drop $500 like it's nothing...
Me (interrupting): I can already do that.  And I don't.
Employee:  I have 10 grand in the bank right now.  I could, too.  But I don't like spending money.  (Impressive because the city pays crap... Employee makes $11/hr.)
Boss: *sheepish look*

We come back around to the FU money amount.  Employee's answer is fantastic: 4.5 billion.  Because then I could hire out a militia.  And actually say whatever I wanted to ANYONE.  :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9774 on: August 05, 2015, 07:42:35 PM »

Boss: I guarantee that when you can walk into a store and drop $500 like it's nothing...

Could you really, though?

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9775 on: August 05, 2015, 08:55:49 PM »

Could you really, though?

Maybe not like it's nothing, but certainly as easy as he can.  I earn around $40,000/year and only support myself.  He earns $95,000/year and supports a his wife and a grown up spawn with hoarder tendencies, and a grandchild. 

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9776 on: August 05, 2015, 09:00:47 PM »
I just started a new job. One of my new coworkers is retiring in a few weeks. She's 72. I would guess she makes $110k-$120k (but, granted, this is a new job, so I'm not super sure). I congratulated her, of course, but I was thinking "How the hell do you get to needing to work into your 70s with that kind of income?!" It's pretty clear this isn't an "I love my job, I want to keep working forever" situation.

I got my answer. For the past 20 years, she has worked in City A. She "lives" in City B with her husband. She owns houses in both cities, and drives the 125 miles between them (East Coast so not like it's 70mph speed limits and you can make it in under 2 hours) at least twice a week. She'll typically only spend the weekend in City B, but will sometimes go "home" more often.

Given that a contributing factor in my taking this job was keeping my bus commute under 20 minutes, my jaw just about hit the floor.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9777 on: August 05, 2015, 09:24:47 PM »
You could tell him that if for whatever reason he fails to spend it all one month you can free him from his excess cash.
For a small fee obviously

LOL! Clearly I would just be irresponsible with it and stow it in some savings account. :)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9778 on: August 05, 2015, 09:41:20 PM »
We were discussing personal data security challenges and solutions when someone said, “Hey, Metta, what do you do? You have money you’re protecting, right?”

I started to explain my data security strategy when a coworker interrupted and said, “The best way to protect your financial accounts is to spend all your money each month. If you save your money your accounts will be vulnerable to hackers but if you spend it they can’t get to it.”

Is it even worth pointing out to them that identity thieves don't need your cash to cause problems since they usually steal your CREDIT CARDS and spend money you don't actually have?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9779 on: August 05, 2015, 10:10:19 PM »
Husband's company is undergoing a payroll changeover this week. Pays will now arrive in bank accounts on Friday instead of Wednesday. Company first notified employees three months ago, and has provided regular reminders ever since.

Today is the morning after the night before, the first day that people haven't been paid on a Wednesday night.

I knew this, because I had marked it in my diary as something to note while doing this week's budget.

Out of the blue I got a text from my husband thanking me for organising our finances.

Apparently the sky is falling. One of his colleagues has already been charged late fees for failed direct debits, and is scrambling to afford his next mortgage payment.

I feel sorry for him, he's a lovely guy and the only breadwinner in the family, but he also buys lunch every day. I just want to ask him - is it worth it to put yourself under this much stress?

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9780 on: August 06, 2015, 02:49:32 AM »

That article is smug nonsense. Some offices overuse air conditioning, but the USA is much hotter than most of Europe (the idea that Washington and Berlin have similar climates is wrong). And when Europe has heat waves, tens of thousands of people die. The 2003 heat wave killed 70,000 people.
Yeah, comparing Berlin and Washington is complete BS, because Berlin is on the same degree as Detroit. How often do you have Berlin covered in snow? So you see Berlin is a lot hotter then USA.

And that is also BS, because you compare totally different geografical regions.

Europe has the gulf stream and is surrounded by lots of water, that makes it a lot warmer winter then continental USA. On the other hand all that water cools in the summer, preventing extreme hot days.

All in all in Europe in the midday there are only about 3 month (added up) where the temperature is above 30 or under 0.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9781 on: August 06, 2015, 06:07:47 AM »

That colour of blue would look lovely on a bicycle.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9782 on: August 06, 2015, 06:23:38 AM »
... it's ubiquitous and, to my eyes, ugly and, yes, basic.

Criticizing people's clothing is also pretty "basic."  I judge people who purposefully use words incorrectly and, in doing so, come across as hateful.

Can someone explain this usage of 'basic' to me?

So sorry, so European and un-airconditioned.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9783 on: August 06, 2015, 06:36:27 AM »
... it's ubiquitous and, to my eyes, ugly and, yes, basic.

Criticizing people's clothing is also pretty "basic."  I judge people who purposefully use words incorrectly and, in doing so, come across as hateful.

Can someone explain this usage of 'basic' to me?

So sorry, so European and un-airconditioned.

It's slang that means unsophisticated, unoriginal, trite, etc.   

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9784 on: August 06, 2015, 06:44:39 AM »

Thank you!

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9785 on: August 06, 2015, 06:44:57 AM »
Quote from: serpentstooth on Today at 08:58:16 AM

Quote from: Cheddar Stacker on Today at 08:54:24 AM

Quote from: RyanAtTanagra on Today at 08:42:03 AM

Quote from: miss madge on Today at 08:21:17 AM

I guess it's a matter of opinion. Polo shirts scream "basic fratboy" to me, regardless of the fit, color, cut, whatever.

You're not the only one.  Not so much 'basic fratboy' for me but 'generic person'.

Very interesting to see all the polo shirt hate. I wear them every single day. Cheap, casual, comfortable, breathable.

Also, since when are we defined by our clothing/style/look? Am I on the correct forum?

I'm confused about why looking generic is bad. Not everyone is interested in expressing their unique special snowflakeness via clothing, and a polo shirt is handy because it's appropriate in most situations, fairly comfortable, easy to acquire inexpensively and easy to launder at home.

folks can wear what they want. i can like it or not.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Of course you can, but you're perpetuating consumerism. On this forum, that gets you a Facepunch.

I disagree that fashion/style and consumerism are synonymous.   You can be anti-consumerism and still find style very interesting and even a hobby.   The US is flooded with soooo much extra clothing that it's not hard *at all* to get super stylish clothes second-hand for pennies.  One can also be a stylish minimalist by being super careful about what pieces they choose.

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9786 on: August 06, 2015, 06:50:25 AM »

If you're into cars at all C5s, are an unmatched performance bargain IMO, quite sensible. If you don't need backseats they're reliable and comfortable enough to be an only car and daily driven. (Dare I say even efficient with a highway mpg of ~28! Gotta love that ridiculous 6th gear overdrive ratio.)

bsmith

• Stubble
« Reply #9787 on: August 06, 2015, 07:03:38 AM »
Quote from: bsmith on August 05, 2015, 09:10:00 AM

I guess it's a matter of opinion. Polo shirts scream "basic fratboy" to me, regardless of the fit, color, cut, whatever.

You're not the only one.  Not so much 'basic fratboy' for me but 'generic person'.

Very interesting to see all the polo shirt hate. I wear them every single day. Cheap, casual, comfortable, breathable.

I'm confused about why looking generic is bad. Not everyone is interested in expressing their unique special snowflakeness via clothing, and a polo shirt is handy because it's appropriate in most situations, fairly comfortable, easy to acquire inexpensively and easy to launder at home.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Of course you can, but you're perpetuating consumerism. On this forum, that gets you a Facepunch.

I disagree that fashion/style and consumerism are synonymous.   You can be anti-consumerism and still find style very interesting and even a hobby.   The US is flooded with soooo much extra clothing that it's not hard *at all* to get super stylish clothes second-hand for pennies.  One can also be a stylish minimalist by being super careful about what pieces they choose.

What you wear or buy for a hobby is certainly your own business, and I don't fault you there. It's when you start judging others as "basic" or "generic" or "frat boys" for what they wear that you become focused on what marketers want you to think about, instead of what's important.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9788 on: August 06, 2015, 07:03:58 AM »
Brief AC story: I once lived and worked in London. Next to my desk was a window...that I could open. Mother of God! Blew my mind with happiness. As an American, I had never worked in a building with sash windows. But then we moved offices to an office park, and the new building was "modern" and air conditioned, fixed glass windows. Boo.

Have a sad story: at a meeting I was sitting next to someone who is about 55 and who has worked at our company for more than 25 years. We were talking with a manager about how busy we are and how great it is our dept has hired new people. I said, "we'll be fine as long as people like [the long-timer] don't just up and retire tomorrrow!" She said, "Oh, no worries, I can never afford to retire." So, I guess I will be the one who leaves in 3 years....

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 07:06:24 AM by Basenji »

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9789 on: August 06, 2015, 07:07:38 AM »

:-) I could care less what people wear, but what you chose to wear does reflect something about you, whether you want it to or not, even if what it says is 'i don't give a fuck'.  So you're a generic person, own it ;-P

not saying I don't judge people sometimes based on how they look, but if you don't dig deeper you never really know.

I'm not defined by my clothing, just like I'm not defined by my job, education, car, or anything else. Those things are all a small part of me, but any of them can be changed. I change my clothes often, as mtn points out, to fit the occasion.

I went to a business meeting recently with a CW and a very important person who we knew would likely be dressed very well. It was a Friday, which for me (and usually my CW) means jeans, polo, tennis shoes.  I wore the usual, CW wore a fancy suit.

I'm not interested in impressing anyone with my clothes. If you choose not to work with me based on the jeans/polo, your loss.

@miss madge, I agree, you can like it or not, your choice. I just hope it doesn't preclude you from actually working with/knowing that person. You don't need to be attracted to someone or like what they're wearing to have a positive interaction with them.

While all of someone's choices reflect *something* about them, I agree that it's a mistake for the observer to assume that they know what that something really is.

Eg., if you see me out in sweatpants, it may be *obvious* to an observer that I don't care about how I look in general.   However, it could be that I care very much and that look is the look I'm going for (eg., apparently normcore is where it's at in some super stylish circles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normcore).   Or, it could be that I care very much when I'm anywhere but the grocery store. 

It could be that the observer has biases against people who pop their collars or wear huge hoop earrings and the mistake is when they assume that *their* biases are actual representations of the person they're seeing.

I'm a 34 year old woman, with mostly a "basic" look-plain blonde hair,etc, but then a nose ring and tattoos.   I can often be seen out wearing anything from large hoop earrings with leggings and booties, to linen pants with a tucked-in blouse, to yoga pants with a t-shirt.   I am a physics professor with a PhD who is pretty well established/published career-wise.   I'm a mother. And I have a net worth consistent with being on the path to FI.   Almost no one expects any of these things based on how I look and their biases regarding what certain people should look like (the main ones being subconsciously gender-based ideas, but that's a different topic).  I actually am usually saying *something* with what I'm wearing (I have an odd sense of humor and like to try out different things sometimes and sometimes just don't GAF); good luck figuring out what it is I'm saying on any given day. 

With that said, I do judge others' outfits.   I look at them and what I like, don't like, etc, b/c I'm interested in it (just how people here often judge others' spending).   What I try not to do is think that what someone is wearing tells me anything about them as a person, other than that's what they chose to wear right then.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 07:12:59 AM by Emilyngh »

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #9790 on: August 06, 2015, 07:08:02 AM »
I have lots of polos (mostly from LL Bean, good quality, $29, last forever) and wear them on days like today when I'm holed up in my office all day on phone calls, but many other days I'm in and out of meetings with senior people and on those days I dress up more as does anyone with half a brain and some aspirations.

I wear scrubs to work, because I have only a third of a brain and no aspirations.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9791 on: August 06, 2015, 07:09:02 AM »
Quote from: bsmith on August 05, 2015, 09:10:00 AM

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What you wear or buy for a hobby is certainly your own business, and I don't fault you there. It's when you start judging others as "basic" or "generic" or "frat boys" for what they wear that you become focused on what marketers want you to think about, instead of what's important.

Yes, I agree.   See my post right above.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9792 on: August 06, 2015, 07:12:43 AM »
Not heard at work but close enough. :)

I was recently taking a group sewing class and there was a young girl there (~13, in 8th grade) and she told me the girls in her class will keep track of what each person wears and then come up to them and tell them the last time the wore it and if they were wearing it too much.

I was horrified. Seemed like a really good reason to home school, so your kids are not exposed to such horrible behavior from mean girls.

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9793 on: August 06, 2015, 07:18:59 AM »

Not heard at work but close enough. :)

I was recently taking a group sewing class and there was a young girl there (~13, in 8th grade) and she told me the girls in her class will keep track of what each person wears and then come up to them and tell them the last time the wore it and if they were wearing it too much.

I was horrified. Seemed like a really good reason to home school, so your kids are not exposed to such horrible behavior from mean girls.

I would say the exact opposite.
When and if I have kids I want them to face the real world, so then we can teach him/her what is good and bad and why so.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9794 on: August 06, 2015, 07:28:01 AM »
The "real" world is a much less toxic, frustrating, and obstructive place than school is.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #9796 on: August 06, 2015, 07:47:48 AM »
Check your link

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9797 on: August 06, 2015, 07:53:22 AM »
From a coworker with a one year old child: "We're building a new house. The old one was only two thousand square feet, and that's just not enough once you have a kid."

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9798 on: August 06, 2015, 08:00:27 AM »

Is it even worth pointing out to them that identity thieves don't need your cash to cause problems since they usually steal your CREDIT CARDS and spend money you don't actually have?

I have heard this as the reason to always have all your credit cards maxed out...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9799 on: August 06, 2015, 08:05:35 AM »

Interesting- I wouldn't have described it that way (but I am SO out of touch. The word makes no sense to me...)

The girls I see who are described on instagram and facebook as "basic" seem to be the ones who follow the current designer trends, spend a ton of money on clothes and hair. 

Maybe unoriginal because they all look exactly alike? 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!