Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 4762512 times)

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #9400 on: July 15, 2015, 07:46:22 AM »
I was invited out to lunch today to celebrate payday.  I declined.

1) How do you celebrate something that happens every 2 weeks?
2) Why does the money being deposited in your account result in a need to immediately spend it?

I didn't even know it was payday, so I certainly am not going to celebrate.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9401 on: July 15, 2015, 07:56:51 AM »

2) Why does the money being deposited in your account result in a need to immediately spend it?

Today is my payday. I'm celebrating by doing "my books" and making sure all my money is in the right places. :)

But yeah, odd thing to celebrate.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9402 on: July 15, 2015, 08:10:32 AM »

Today is my payday. I'm celebrating by doing "my books" and making sure all my money is in the right places. :)

But yeah, odd thing to celebrate.

I celebrated payday today with coffee and breakfast! Paid a whole $5.04. But that was mostly due to my being in a huge rush to get out the door, and not having any quick food around.

Although now that I think about it, I don't think that I could have paid for that meal before today--I certainly can't now, 1.5 hours later. But that is mostly because I've already "spent" the whole paycheck on savings, retirement, rent, groceries, entertainment, etc.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #9403 on: July 15, 2015, 09:52:04 AM »
My husband recently converted from contract to FTE status at Gigantico USA. This comes with certain awesome perks, like cell phone discounts, 401K matching, subsidized insurance, etc.

On his first day as an FTE, DH learned from a coworker that one of the perks was, he could get a great deal on a Chrysler - "just 6% over dealer invoice!" - so therefore DH should run out and buy a brand new car to take advantage of the savings.

DH said, "well, our plan is pretty much to drive our car until the wheels fall off." Coworker said, "Oh, I thought that's pretty much where you were."

We have a 2007 Toyota 4Runner with 100k-ish miles on it. From our perspective it's basically a new car - just starting to get comfortably broken in. From CWs perspective our vehicle is so old and decrepit it must be replaced RIGHT NOW.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9404 on: July 15, 2015, 10:05:30 AM »

I aspire to not notice payday like you someday, but seeing my net worth number tick upwards onscreen still activates the reward center in my brain. Also, my pay dates happen to coincide with the recycling schedule in my neighborhood, so oddly enough I have come to see the deposit notification as a reminder to take out my bins!

But, no, the occasion is not my green flag to spend either!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:18:47 AM by slugline »

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9405 on: July 15, 2015, 10:10:43 AM »

I didn't used to get this, but I recently started challenging myself with a strict spending budget (rent+$1000 in SF, it's been rough getting used to it), so I tend to be very 'broke' by the time payday comes around.  I found myself being excited about payday today so I could have some spending money again.  Sad way to live when you're actually broke every 2 weeks, but I understand the excitement over a paycheck to be able to spend now (vs most of us here that get excited for payday because we get to put more money into savings/investments).

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
« Reply #9406 on: July 15, 2015, 10:27:22 AM »
I didn't used to get this, but I recently started challenging myself with a strict spending budget (rent+$1000 in SF, it's been rough getting used to it), so I tend to be very 'broke' by the time payday comes around.  I found myself being excited about payday today so I could have some spending money again.  Sad way to live when you're actually broke every 2 weeks, but I understand the excitement over a paycheck to be able to spend now (vs most of us here that get excited for payday because we get to put more money into savings/investments).
I hate that sensation so much that I use an entirely different approach - I don't set number limits, I just identify one spending category at a time and focus on changing my attitude toward it, one decision at a time. For example, eating out crept up to an unacceptable spending level, so I decided to reduce it. I place a very high value on socializing and staying connected (and my friend group is a source of real estate leads) so I don't refuse to eat out with friends, but I only accept every 2nd or 3rd meal invite. I snack ahead of time and go for cheaper options, and I make a point of inviting people to my place for delicious but inexpensive home-cooked options - like last week, when DW and I shared brunch with several friends for the cost of one entree at the usual dive. *poof* restaurant budget shaved by 60-80% on average; no feeling of deprivation or loss.

Overheard at work: one of our senior(ish) managers (secondhand) said he keeps working because of "greed". He has a fat military retirement and is rumored to have a million in the bank, but still drives a rickety 20-year-old van that spawns sex offender jokes daily. All signs are that he could retire any time but can't bring himself to give up the pay, regardless of need. To me, it sounds like like all the hard parts of Mustachianism without the fun (I'd infer SWAMI status but this one doesn't like the job any better than the average worker bee).
I am not a cog. I am an organizational lubricant.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9407 on: July 15, 2015, 10:36:24 AM »

I guess that makes sense.

I don't keep any budget at all. I do have auto deposits to some accounts (obviously 403b then Roth IRA, and now the amount we will be spending on daycare into a taxable account, just to see how that effects the month to month- we expect not at all, really) then I just don't spend money on things I don't need (or really want), and when my checking account reaches a certain threshold I move the surplus to investment accounts.

It results in us hitting about 70% savings each year, so it seems to work.  That % is going to drop with the upcoming daycare expenses, but it shouldn't make a difference overall.

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9408 on: July 15, 2015, 01:29:33 PM »
So this was just sent to everyone in our office...

"Good afternoon:

I put up a poster on the bulletin board in the lunch room with the heading:

“Let’s talk about the Elephant in the Room”

Beside this poster I pinned a little gray elephant, in the hopes I would draw attention to the poster.

On numerous occasions when I have gone down to get myself a coffee, I have found the elephant removed and pinned up in what I guess is a humorous fashion on the board.

I have replaced the stuffed elephant and left no remarks, only to find it moved again and again the next time I go into the lunch room.

Today I found it on a table with tiny playing cards attached to its’ body.

I am really happy that the elephant has drawn so much attention, but the intent was to draw attention to Mental Illness (an Anti-Stigma Campaign).

Please take the time to read the information in the poster. Someone may need your support one day.

Thanks"

The stuffed elephant was getting more people talking about mental health than the poster was.

Clearly a sign that the stresses of working in your office have led to widespread mental illness.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #9409 on: July 15, 2015, 02:27:12 PM »
So this was just sent to everyone in our office...

"Good afternoon:

I put up a poster on the bulletin board in the lunch room with the heading:

“Let’s talk about the Elephant in the Room”

Beside this poster I pinned a little gray elephant, in the hopes I would draw attention to the poster.

On numerous occasions when I have gone down to get myself a coffee, I have found the elephant removed and pinned up in what I guess is a humorous fashion on the board.

I have replaced the stuffed elephant and left no remarks, only to find it moved again and again the next time I go into the lunch room.

Today I found it on a table with tiny playing cards attached to its’ body.

I am really happy that the elephant has drawn so much attention, but the intent was to draw attention to Mental Illness (an Anti-Stigma Campaign).

Please take the time to read the information in the poster. Someone may need your support one day.

Thanks"

The stuffed elephant was getting more people talking about mental health than the poster was.

So crazy lady hangs up a sign and an elephant and gets mad that people focus on the elephant?  That said, I would bring in other animals from home to join the elephant, he seems lonely.  Or replace the elephant and update the poster to talk about the "alligator" in the room.

eljefe-speaks

• Stubble
« Reply #9410 on: July 15, 2015, 02:29:28 PM »
And they never break character, no matter who they are.  I wear a fedora, and we went to the 50's cafe. I had a black waitress that was probably 30 years older than me, who kept calling me "massa".  I seriously looked at her the first time she did that and said, "wow, you people never break character do you?"  She didn't even change her expression.  She was a waitress, not an actress playing any known character.
She called you "massa"; you spoke to her, leading with "you people"; and she didn't even change her expression?!?!?!  This is so wrong on so many levels . . . *eyes bugging out of my head, ears bleeding*

+1

This blows my mind. Not sure if I could eat in an establishment that expects that of an employee. 

jezebel

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9411 on: July 15, 2015, 02:34:03 PM »

I guess that makes sense.

I don't keep any budget at all. I do have auto deposits to some accounts (obviously 403b then Roth IRA, and now the amount we will be spending on daycare into a taxable account, just to see how that effects the month to month- we expect not at all, really) then I just don't spend money on things I don't need (or really want), and when my checking account reaches a certain threshold I move the surplus to investment accounts.

It results in us hitting about 70% savings each year, so it seems to work.  That % is going to drop with the upcoming daycare expenses, but it shouldn't make a difference overall.

We don't really budget, but my allotments are arranged in accord with our average spending such that there is purposefully very little surplus in our checking except for smallish buffer.  I manually deposit money into our IRAs.  So if I decided to buy up before pay day to take advantage of a dip in the market, I am quite happy to see my paycheck deposited. I certainly wouldn't celebrate getting paid by spending unnecessarily, however.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9412 on: July 15, 2015, 02:40:53 PM »
And they never break character, no matter who they are.  I wear a fedora, and we went to the 50's cafe. I had a black waitress that was probably 30 years older than me, who kept calling me "massa".  I seriously looked at her the first time she did that and said, "wow, you people never break character do you?"  She didn't even change her expression.  She was a waitress, not an actress playing any known character.
She called you "massa"; you spoke to her, leading with "you people"; and she didn't even change her expression?!?!?!  This is so wrong on so many levels . . . *eyes bugging out of my head, ears bleeding*

+1

This blows my mind. Not sure if I could eat in an establishment that expects that of an employee.

I don't think that was the case.  There were many other resturants she could have worked at within the same park, if the character profile was really offensive to her, but I was originally taken aback by it.  IIRC, she was the only black server at the time; so it's entirely possible she was the only black server willing to play that kind of character.  Like I said, she didn't even change her expression, which was quite pleasant, and she was a wonderful waitress.  That was one of my largest tips ever.  One of my gauges is that when I buy a 'bottomless' beverage, that I never see the bottom of that cup before my plate is clear.  I can remember exactly 2 times that a server did this one perfectly, and that meal at the 50's diner was one of them.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
    • OhYongHao Life Blog
« Reply #9413 on: July 15, 2015, 05:33:23 PM »
... I studied several Romance languages at school and always appreciated being able to distinguish between the singular 'you' and the plural 'you', especially on the internet where tone fails can result in a lot of fallout. I therefore took to using "y'all" when I mean "you people generally" as it lessens the chance of an individual poster thinking that I am talking about (and possibly insulting) them personally. In this case I used it to distinguish between "you, the poster I am replying to" and "all of you Americans generally".

Careful! Y'all is often singular. Use "all y'all" to be sure.

Y'all is always plural; "all y'all" is reflexive or emphatic. :-)

Another option, used about as often as y'all in this area, is y'uns. Short for you 'uns, of course.

ETA a husband tells me "y'all" was pretty well universally adopted aboard ship (US Navy) because it fills a practical need.

What the heck are yinz talking about?

There's a Pittsburgher in the house!

The Chinese also have a word for y'all...ni men.

Still finishing up the thread, but I had to jump in on this.  Yes the Chinese have a word for y'all, ni men, they also have a word for inclusive y'all, zan men, which means y'all and I, though usage of zan men depends on what region you are in.  Interestingly, the Taiwanese dialect doesn't have a word for y'all, but instead uses the more colloquial term which is literally translated as big family, da jia, which is pronounced da gei in Taiwanese.  (For those that don't read roman pinyin it sounds like dah gay).

eliza

• Stubble
« Reply #9414 on: July 15, 2015, 07:34:54 PM »
Overheard at my office:

While discussing a recent surprise departure of a colleague.
Boss: Does anyone know where he went?
Shaken heads all around.
Boss: Well he couldn't have retired, he's not much older than me.

Me (Internally): And you are ~15 years older than me.  We are going to be having a very awkward conversation in the next couple of years.

And even more egregious, but not at work.  I had a bachelorette party where two of my fellow bridesmaids spent the entire trip gushing about their latest designer clothing, purses, shoes, watches, jewelry, etc.  Not my cuppa, but they both have good jobs so if they want to spend their money on such things it's their prerogative.  Cue random conversation with one of the Spendypants.

Spendypants: We really want to have children soon.  I'm not getting any younger.
Me: That's exciting.
SP: Well, I just don't think we can yet.
Me: (Trying to be sensitive, because I don't want to tread on potential fertility problems) Inarticulate noise meant to convey understanding and distress.
SP: Yeah, there's no way that we could afford kids.
Me: Oh, I guess children can be expensive.
SP: I don't know how anyone our age does it.
Me: I suppose once they have kids, they have to cut back some of their other spending.
SP: Well I couldn't make any cuts.  I hardly go out at all now.

I boggled for a few minutes remembering the brand new designer dress, three pairs of  new designer shoes, the new designer handbag and the new iWatch thing she had already shown me/bragged about this weekend. 

Le sigh.

antarestar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9415 on: July 16, 2015, 07:12:16 AM »

+1

I don't think that was the case.  There were many other resturants she could have worked at within the same park, if the character profile was really offensive to her, but I was originally taken aback by it.  IIRC, she was the only black server at the time; so it's entirely possible she was the only black server willing to play that kind of character.  Like I said, she didn't even change her expression, which was quite pleasant, and she was a wonderful waitress. That was one of my largest tips ever.  One of my gauges is that when I buy a 'bottomless' beverage, that I never see the bottom of that cup before my plate is clear.  I can remember exactly 2 times that a server did this one perfectly, and that meal at the 50's diner was one of them.

I wonder if she figured this would be the case with most tables and was willing to play the game for larger tips.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9416 on: July 16, 2015, 08:09:10 AM »

+1

Having been to that restaurant many times, I wonder if he misheard an accented pronunciation of "Mister".
"Massa" is certainly not something common there, if even existing. There is NO WAY Disney requires that of their cast members.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9417 on: July 16, 2015, 10:28:36 AM »

+1

Having been to that restaurant many times, I wonder if he misheard an accented pronunciation of "Mister".
"Massa" is certainly not something common there, if even existing. There is NO WAY Disney requires that of their cast members.

This was my thought too.  I didn't think 50s black waitresses called anyone "massa", that massa was much closer to slavery times.  I would also be very surprised that, even if historically accurate, Disney would want the political shitstorm that would come from having a black employee call a white patron massa.  As a non-black patron, it would be very uncomfortable.

crispy

• Bristles
« Reply #9418 on: July 16, 2015, 10:44:54 AM »
On the way to work this morning, I was behind a Volkswagon with a personalized license plate that said "AUDILUV." 

crispy

• Bristles
« Reply #9419 on: July 16, 2015, 10:52:40 AM »

I admit I'm an adult and I love Disney.  Only been 1-2 times in my adult life, though.  It's a combination of a few things:

1) A lot of nostalgia from the few times I went there as a kid
2) Disney is amazing at building little worlds... the architecture and detail throught the park is fascinating (like how they can make an otherwise boring food stand look like dwarves live in it).

And a lot of the real resturants in the parks are just plain cool, whether or not you have kids.  Remember Cinderella's castle that is in every advertisment?  There is a 6+ month advance reservation resturant inside there, where all the servers are characters from the movie.  And they don't do this half way, this looks real up close, even when you know it can't be so.  However, that turned out to be $150 per plate, so I never did it again; but damn, was it an entertaining brunch.

Sorry, just don't buy this at all.  I am a bit of a Disney World freak and have also eaten at the '50s Primetime on numerous occasions, and there is no way this happened.  The servers at the restaurant act like family members - either your  mom, brother, cousin, crazy uncle, whatever.  Most are over-the-top in their silliness and command their new "family members" to eat their veggies and make them set the table.  It's a completely fun, jovial environment and what you describe would be completely amiss in this setting. Once when we had an African-American server, she even joked that she was from the more tanned side of the family. 

Also, meals at Cinderella's Castle are not cheap, but they are nowhere near $150 per plate - more like $50.  I question if you have ever ven been there because your recollections are way off.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #9420 on: July 16, 2015, 10:57:03 AM »
One I can't stand is "might could" meaning either "might" or "could", as in "I might could sing that song".

My favorite is when people have worked really hard to rid themselves of a "hick" accent, and then this slips out when they aren't paying attention. The mortification is epic!

I had a girlfriend who had this issue. There were 2 or 3 words where she couldn't say them without a drawl. It's interesting how those things get so ingrained and can't be changed.

I understand that you can lose accents over time, but it really annoys me when people try to lose them on purpose.

To quote Jason Isbell, "Don't worry about losin your accent, cause a southern man tells better jokes"

Hey! Another DBT fan! I love Outfit, great song. That whole album is Most Excellent:)
“There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey.” -John Ruskin

My Woodworking Blog

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9421 on: July 16, 2015, 11:25:23 AM »
One I can't stand is "might could" meaning either "might" or "could", as in "I might could sing that song".

My favorite is when people have worked really hard to rid themselves of a "hick" accent, and then this slips out when they aren't paying attention. The mortification is epic!

I had a girlfriend who had this issue. There were 2 or 3 words where she couldn't say them without a drawl. It's interesting how those things get so ingrained and can't be changed.

I understand that you can lose accents over time, but it really annoys me when people try to lose them on purpose.

To quote Jason Isbell, "Don't worry about losin your accent, cause a southern man tells better jokes"

Hey! Another DBT fan! I love Outfit, great song. That whole album is Most Excellent:)

DBT is good. Jason Isbell is better. Way better.

Opinions, of course. (and I agree, that album is really, really good)

Khaetra

• Stubble
« Reply #9422 on: July 16, 2015, 11:34:39 AM »

I admit I'm an adult and I love Disney.  Only been 1-2 times in my adult life, though.  It's a combination of a few things:

2) Disney is amazing at building little worlds... the architecture and detail throught the park is fascinating (like how they can make an otherwise boring food stand look like dwarves live in it).

And a lot of the real resturants in the parks are just plain cool, whether or not you have kids.  Remember Cinderella's castle that is in every advertisment?  There is a 6+ month advance reservation resturant inside there, where all the servers are characters from the movie.  And they don't do this half way, this looks real up close, even when you know it can't be so.  However, that turned out to be $150 per plate, so I never did it again; but damn, was it an entertaining brunch.

Sorry, just don't buy this at all.  I am a bit of a Disney World freak and have also eaten at the '50s Primetime on numerous occasions, and there is no way this happened.  The servers at the restaurant act like family members - either your  mom, brother, cousin, crazy uncle, whatever.  Most are over-the-top in their silliness and command their new "family members" to eat their veggies and make them set the table.  It's a completely fun, jovial environment and what you describe would be completely amiss in this setting. Once when we had an African-American server, she even joked that she was from the more tanned side of the family. 

Also, meals at Cinderella's Castle are not cheap, but they are nowhere near $150 per plate - more like $50.  I question if you have ever ven been there because your recollections are way off.

+1

I highly doubt they have been either.  I've been to Primetime myself numerous times and there is no way that would have ever happened.  I have been ribbed about eating my vegetables and keeping my elbows off the table, but nothing like what was described.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9423 on: July 16, 2015, 12:08:10 PM »
One of my gauges is that when I buy a 'bottomless' beverage, that I never see the bottom of that cup before my plate is clear.  I can remember exactly 2 times that a server did this one perfectly, and that meal at the 50's diner was one of them.

Being a waitress is a tough job. I know some people that don't like it when a waitress keeps filling their bottomless mug because then they have to add sugar and cream to keep the balance up. Sometimes you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9424 on: July 16, 2015, 12:12:34 PM »

+1

I highly doubt they have been either.  I've been to Primetime myself numerous times and there is no way that would have ever happened.  I have been ribbed about eating my vegetables and keeping my elbows off the table, but nothing like what was described.

According to the following site, meal prices are as follows. "Entree range
Character breakfast, $58 adults, $36 children; character lunch, $60 adults, $38 children; character dinner, $73 adults, $43 children. Note: Prices increase during peak periods." I don't know how much the prices increase during peak periods, but if you include tax and tip it is possible to get closer to the $150/plate. And if it wasn't that far off, maybe their memory just rounded up a little.

http://touringplans.com/magic-kingdom/dining/cinderellas-royal-table

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9425 on: July 16, 2015, 12:15:43 PM »
One of my gauges is that when I buy a 'bottomless' beverage, that I never see the bottom of that cup before my plate is clear.  I can remember exactly 2 times that a server did this one perfectly, and that meal at the 50's diner was one of them.

Being a waitress is a tough job. I know some people that don't like it when a waitress keeps filling their bottomless mug because then they have to add sugar and cream to keep the balance up. Sometimes you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I now always ask servers to not refill my tea until I am done for this reason.

Which reminded me of an experience I had at outback drinking iced tea.  I probably got 4-5 refills over the course of the meal. EVERY time a server (different one each time, just whomever walked by with tea, I guess) would walk by, they'd fill up my tea, and then my Dad's.  Except my Dad wasn't drinking tea.  He was drinking a beer that was basically the same color.  So he'd have to flag someone down to replace his beer.

It was a pain, but it worked out well for him, because each time he got a new full beer, and he had already finished half of it when the "refill" came.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9426 on: July 16, 2015, 12:18:40 PM »

I now always ask servers to not refill my tea until I am done for this reason.

Which reminded me of an experience I had at outback drinking iced tea.  I probably got 4-5 refills over the course of the meal. EVERY time a server (different one each time, just whomever walked by with tea, I guess) would walk by, they'd fill up my tea, and then my Dad's.  Except my Dad wasn't drinking tea.  He was drinking a beer that was basically the same color.  So he'd have to flag someone down to replace his beer.

It was a pain, but it worked out well for him, because each time he got a new full beer, and he had already finished half of it when the "refill" came.

Sounds like a win.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9427 on: July 16, 2015, 02:14:14 PM »
I've done the bring from home math vs. the eat out.  Seems like a lot of people discount the fact that food brought from home cost $$ too.  I find on a $6 eat out, I pay about $3 to replicate from home.

Now, if you are eating a few carrot sticks and a piece of cheese I understand.  Curious about the comparison...
I can (and usually do) eat for less than a dollar. I try to stay stocked in frozen leftovers to avoid processed food. My most recent example is chicken stir fry and grilled asparagus over rice that cost about $10 in total and produced 7 servings, for a per-meal price of $1.42. My regular standby, tricolor rotini or penne ($1) in marinara ($1) with a small amount of turkey sausage ($2) and various veggies ($2-3) is even cheaper per serving. As backup, I stash store-brand soups and Spaghettio knockoffs that run from $0.69 to $0.99, or occasionally Cup-o-Noodles ($0.50). High in salt but OK for occasional use.

$6 is the low end for our cafe'; the full meal deal is $9. Take that over 2,500 workdays + a decade of investment returns and there you go.

I still buy breakfast occasionally, since I can get a pretty decent protein dose (eggs+bacon/sausage) for under $3, but I'm sticking more to oatmeal and frozen turkey sausage lately to keep the per-meal cost at $0.20-$0.40.
Today's tally:
               Me      CW
Breakfast  $0      $4
Lunch       $0.69 $14

Should I tell him I'm keeping score? >.<

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9428 on: July 16, 2015, 02:16:23 PM »
Today's tally:
               Me      CW
Breakfast  $0      $4
Lunch       $0.69 $14

After a month, then make up something really cool you bought with the difference.

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9429 on: July 16, 2015, 02:19:53 PM »
Today's tally:
               Me      CW
Breakfast  $0      $4
Lunch       $0.69 $14

After a month, then make up something really cool you bought with the difference.

Or instead, tell him he could have "x" if he did what you do?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9430 on: July 16, 2015, 02:20:03 PM »
Today's tally:
               Me      CW
Breakfast  $0      $4
Lunch       $0.69 $14

When you buy everything on credit, does that tactic work? I'm trying to remember.

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9431 on: July 16, 2015, 02:24:53 PM »
Today's tally:
               Me      CW
Breakfast  $0      $4
Lunch       $0.69 $14

When you buy everything on credit, does that tactic work? I'm trying to remember.

There are still limits to credit. If you make him start thinking in terms of choosing x or y, it might be step one to start questioning stuff.

RyanAtTanagra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9432 on: July 16, 2015, 02:27:32 PM »
There are still limits to credit. If you make him start thinking in terms of choosing x or y, it might be step one to start questioning stuff.

Agreed, one of the early things I read when I was first looking into how to get out of debt was something like 'you can't afford everything you want, but you can afford anything you want', which made me really change how I looked at money and it being a finite but useful resource.

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #9433 on: July 16, 2015, 03:10:03 PM »
Today's tally:
               Me      CW
Breakfast  $0      $4
Lunch       $0.69 $14

In my experience, it's not worth it. I had a co-worker just like this example. Showed him how much he could have saved. Got egg on my face. He told me I wasn't a happy person because I save too much and don't enjoy it. I kept my mouth shut, didn't want my co-workers to know that I have several residential income-generating properties.

Or instead, tell him he could have "x" if he did what you do?
If I genuinely enjoy my profession and workplace, is there a reason to FIRE? Keep Calm and Carry On Milking.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9434 on: July 16, 2015, 04:47:33 PM »
If you are a government - yes

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #9435 on: July 16, 2015, 06:18:22 PM »
In my experience, it's not worth it. I had a co-worker just like this example. Showed him how much he could have saved. Got egg on my face. He told me I wasn't a happy person because I save too much and don't enjoy it. I kept my mouth shut, didn't want my co-workers to know that I have several residential income-generating properties.

Mocking your coworkers' spending habits is free entertainment and therefore Mustachian.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9436 on: July 16, 2015, 08:33:58 PM »
If you are a government - yes
So, just to clarify, you are saying that "if you are a government" (which is a funny concept, one person being a government) then someone showing you what you could have bought with the money you wasted is likely to change your spending habits.

Either that or it's just Tea Party troll week at MMM and you meant to imply the opposite, which seems even more likely in context.

antarestar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9437 on: July 17, 2015, 06:51:05 AM »

Mocking your coworkers' spending habits is free entertainment and therefore Mustachian.

+1

jinga nation

• Pencil Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #9438 on: July 17, 2015, 07:16:48 AM »

Completely agree. But trying to get my point across the deep chasm into the minds of the ignorant and stupid is an exercise in futility. As me pappy says: Arguing with a fool makes one look stupid. Live and let them wallow in debt.
If I genuinely enjoy my profession and workplace, is there a reason to FIRE? Keep Calm and Carry On Milking.

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9439 on: July 17, 2015, 08:03:26 AM »
Wasn't entirely sure if this belonged here, but...

CW1: What are you going to be doing, then? Have you got another job?
CW 2 who is moving to another city 75 miles away for his wife's work: No, there's not much in [field] over there. I'll be coming back here two days a week and then looking after y son for te rest of the time.
Me: That's nice, some time off to be with your son.
Thinking: a two hour commute every day? So far so crazy.
CW 2: Yeah, you don't get this time back when they're young. And it's not like I'm working in a coal mine or anything physical. I can always work longer at the end to catch up. I'll be fit to work until I'm at least seventy.

WHAT THE FUCK? This guy earns £80,000 a year and his wife is an engineer for [Big Car Company]. I mean, it's great that he feels comfortable taking time off work (um, except the eight hours he will spend in a car in two days so that he can work for sixteen hours...) but WHY would he then need to work past retirement age to 'catch up'? Catch up on WHAT? He and his wife already earn a TON of money. I hope he's just smoke screening so people don't pry, but this epic commute makes me suspicious.

K-Dogg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9440 on: July 17, 2015, 10:25:38 AM »
My work busses most of the employees in from the surrounding region. Anyways, I was at the bus stop last week and two guys in front of me were talking:

CW1: I just sold my truck so I'll be looking for a new vehicle soon.
CW2: Ya, there's lots of good deals out now.
CW1: I'm 60 now so I just applied for CPP (Canadian Pension Plan) and it'll be $800/month so I'm gonna look for a car that is a year or two old.

CW1 is going to a job that probably pays close to 100k/year and is 60 years old! That how he's getting his Canadian pension early. So he's going to continue working so he can afford a one year old car that his pension will pay for! Facepalm.

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9441 on: July 17, 2015, 10:58:40 AM »

CW 2 who is moving to another city 75 miles away for his wife's work: No, there's not much in [field] over there. I'll be coming back here two days a week and then looking after y son for te rest of the time.
CW 2: Yeah, you don't get this time back when they're young. And it's not like I'm working in a coal mine or anything physical. I can always work longer at the end to catch up. I'll be fit to work until I'm at least seventy.

WHAT THE FUCK? This guy earns £80,000 a year and his wife is an engineer for [Big Car Company]. I mean, it's great that he feels comfortable taking time off work (um, except the eight hours he will spend in a car in two days so that he can work for sixteen hours...) but WHY would he then need to work past retirement age to 'catch up'? Catch up on WHAT? He and his wife already earn a TON of money. I hope he's just smoke screening so people don't pry, but this epic commute makes me suspicious.
Maybe he'll just drive in one day, couch surf one day, drive back the next night?

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #9442 on: July 17, 2015, 11:05:31 AM »
My work busses most of the employees in from the surrounding region. Anyways, I was at the bus stop last week and two guys in front of me were talking:

CW1: I'm 60 now so I just applied for CPP (Canadian Pension Plan) and it'll be $800/month so I'm gonna look for a car that is a year or two old.

CW1 is going to a job that probably pays close to 100k/year and is 60 years old! That how he's getting his Canadian pension early. So he's going to continue working so he can afford a one year old car that his pension will pay for! Facepalm.

Assuming he is realitively healthy , taking his CPP pension at 60 while making 100K is a huge mistake.

Pooperman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9443 on: July 17, 2015, 11:19:16 AM »
CW 1: My phone's dead/can't find my phone (something along those lines)
CW 2: Sounds like it's time to upgrade your phone!
CW 1, 2, and 3 laugh together.

shelivesthedream

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9444 on: July 17, 2015, 12:06:52 PM »

Maybe he'll just drive in one day, couch surf one day, drive back the next night?

But what FOR?? He has a one year old son. Why would he only see him 5/7 of the time? Or just get a job in [town]. Trust me, it's not so specialised that it's a one-town job. He might well take a pay cut as he has a pretty sweet deal here, but eight hours of driving/four hours of driving and one night away is surely equivalent to a life cut...!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 12:09:07 PM by shelivesthedream »

mm1970

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9445 on: July 17, 2015, 01:28:22 PM »

But what FOR?? He has a one year old son. Why would he only see him 5/7 of the time? Or just get a job in [town]. Trust me, it's not so specialised that it's a one-town job. He might well take a pay cut as he has a pretty sweet deal here, but eight hours of driving/four hours of driving and one night away is surely equivalent to a life cut...!
Well, sure.  But I don't have the details. I mean, I work for a company where we have several commuters.
One guy literally flies in every day.  And flies home every night.  And this is cheaper than renting an apartment.
One person drives the 6 hours down Monday morning, rents a room in a house (doesn't have kitchen privileges, doesn't keep anything there, I think the landlord does AirBNB on the room on the weekend), drives home every Friday.

Many people here drive several hours every weekend.

Some people drive 70 miles one way, every day.

I don't understand it - but the job market isn't too hot, so maybe they've done the cost/benefit analysis?

One of my coworkers told me that I could probably make $50k more if I got a job in the Bay Area (I think that's being conservative).  "But I have kids!" I say.  He said - that's fine, just work there Mon/Fri and come home on the weekends, your son is old enough, you can do it.

Um, my kids are 9 and 3, are you effing CRAZY??  Only see them on the weekend?

zolotiyeruki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9446 on: July 17, 2015, 02:19:02 PM »
Well, sure.  But I don't have the details. I mean, I work for a company where we have several commuters.
One guy literally flies in every day.  And flies home every night.  And this is cheaper than renting an apartment.
One of my coworkers told me that I could probably make $50k more if I got a job in the Bay Area (I think that's being conservative).  "But I have kids!" I say.  He said - that's fine, just work there Mon/Fri and come home on the weekends, your son is old enough, you can do it.

Um, my kids are 9 and 3, are you effing CRAZY??  Only see them on the weekend?
Please tell me that guy owns his own airplane.  That's the only way it would be cheaper to fly.

I had an assignment a few years ago that required commuting every week from Houston to LA for about 4 months.  Flew out on Monday, flew back Thursday or Friday.  Had young kids at the time.  Wasn't fun.

firelight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9447 on: July 17, 2015, 02:38:10 PM »
My husband flies every day to work and back. He leaves home at 8 and is back before 6 pm. His company owns the flights and his flying time is 40 minutes one way. Driving would be 2.5 hours one way. We chose this because of my work and lesser options at his work area.
His commute is similar to any other place he'd be at (30-50 minutes by car) and he'd be paying for fuel and car wear and tear. Now he bikes to the airport. This works out way better than him working in the same city as me and commuting by car.

One added advantage: he has to leave work on time every day. He can't stay late unless it's absolutely necessary. Compared to my friends whose husbands come home late due to work, we'll take this commute option any day for this perk :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 02:39:49 PM by cutenila »

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9448 on: July 17, 2015, 02:56:31 PM »

Assuming he is realitively healthy , taking his CPP pension at 60 while making 100K is a huge mistake.

The break even point for CPP is 76 if one starts collecting at 60. I wouldn't call it a "huge" mistake. You can be healthy today but no one knows how long they will live or what their health will be like in later years, and virtually no one will be healthier at 76 than they were at 60. For me, I'd rather have the money now than later...even if I'm alive at 76, I may not be in a position to enjoy the extra money.

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #9449 on: July 17, 2015, 03:45:35 PM »

The break even point for CPP is 76 if one starts collecting at 60. I wouldn't call it a "huge" mistake. You can be healthy today but no one knows how long they will live or what their health will be like in later years, and virtually no one will be healthier at 76 than they were at 60. For me, I'd rather have the money now than later...even if I'm alive at 76, I may not be in a position to enjoy the extra money.

Yes, but if you have $100K worth of other income, you are in the 26% federal tax bracket, while if you take it when you retire you will be in a much lower bracket.