Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252476 times)

crispy

Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #9300 on: July 16, 2015, 10:44:54 AM »
On the way to work this morning, I was behind a Volkswagon with a personalized license plate that said "AUDILUV." 

crispy

« Reply #9301 on: July 16, 2015, 10:52:40 AM »

I admit I'm an adult and I love Disney.  Only been 1-2 times in my adult life, though.  It's a combination of a few things:

1) A lot of nostalgia from the few times I went there as a kid
2) Disney is amazing at building little worlds... the architecture and detail throught the park is fascinating (like how they can make an otherwise boring food stand look like dwarves live in it).

And they never break character, no matter who they are.  I wear a fedora, and we went to the 50's cafe. I had a black waitress that was probably 30 years older than me, who kept calling me "massa".  I seriously looked at her the first time she did that and said, "wow, you people never break character do you?"  She didn't even change her expression.  She was a waitress, not an actress playing any known character.

And a lot of the real resturants in the parks are just plain cool, whether or not you have kids.  Remember Cinderella's castle that is in every advertisment?  There is a 6+ month advance reservation resturant inside there, where all the servers are characters from the movie.  And they don't do this half way, this looks real up close, even when you know it can't be so.  However, that turned out to be $150 per plate, so I never did it again; but damn, was it an entertaining brunch.

Sorry, just don't buy this at all.  I am a bit of a Disney World freak and have also eaten at the '50s Primetime on numerous occasions, and there is no way this happened.  The servers at the restaurant act like family members - either your  mom, brother, cousin, crazy uncle, whatever.  Most are over-the-top in their silliness and command their new "family members" to eat their veggies and make them set the table.  It's a completely fun, jovial environment and what you describe would be completely amiss in this setting. Once when we had an African-American server, she even joked that she was from the more tanned side of the family. 

Also, meals at Cinderella's Castle are not cheap, but they are nowhere near $150 per plate - more like $50.  I question if you have ever ven been there because your recollections are way off.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #9302 on: July 16, 2015, 10:57:03 AM »
One I can't stand is "might could" meaning either "might" or "could", as in "I might could sing that song".

My favorite is when people have worked really hard to rid themselves of a "hick" accent, and then this slips out when they aren't paying attention. The mortification is epic!

I had a girlfriend who had this issue. There were 2 or 3 words where she couldn't say them without a drawl. It's interesting how those things get so ingrained and can't be changed.

I understand that you can lose accents over time, but it really annoys me when people try to lose them on purpose.

To quote Jason Isbell, "Don't worry about losin your accent, cause a southern man tells better jokes"

Hey! Another DBT fan! I love Outfit, great song. That whole album is Most Excellent:)

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9303 on: July 16, 2015, 11:25:23 AM »
One I can't stand is "might could" meaning either "might" or "could", as in "I might could sing that song".

My favorite is when people have worked really hard to rid themselves of a "hick" accent, and then this slips out when they aren't paying attention. The mortification is epic!

I had a girlfriend who had this issue. There were 2 or 3 words where she couldn't say them without a drawl. It's interesting how those things get so ingrained and can't be changed.

I understand that you can lose accents over time, but it really annoys me when people try to lose them on purpose.

To quote Jason Isbell, "Don't worry about losin your accent, cause a southern man tells better jokes"

Hey! Another DBT fan! I love Outfit, great song. That whole album is Most Excellent:)

DBT is good. Jason Isbell is better. Way better.

Opinions, of course. (and I agree, that album is really, really good)

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9304 on: July 16, 2015, 11:34:39 AM »

I admit I'm an adult and I love Disney.  Only been 1-2 times in my adult life, though.  It's a combination of a few things:

2) Disney is amazing at building little worlds... the architecture and detail throught the park is fascinating (like how they can make an otherwise boring food stand look like dwarves live in it).

And they never break character, no matter who they are.  I wear a fedora, and we went to the 50's cafe. I had a black waitress that was probably 30 years older than me, who kept calling me "massa".  I seriously looked at her the first time she did that and said, "wow, you people never break character do you?"  She didn't even change her expression.  She was a waitress, not an actress playing any known character.

And a lot of the real resturants in the parks are just plain cool, whether or not you have kids.  Remember Cinderella's castle that is in every advertisment?  There is a 6+ month advance reservation resturant inside there, where all the servers are characters from the movie.  And they don't do this half way, this looks real up close, even when you know it can't be so.  However, that turned out to be $150 per plate, so I never did it again; but damn, was it an entertaining brunch.

Sorry, just don't buy this at all.  I am a bit of a Disney World freak and have also eaten at the '50s Primetime on numerous occasions, and there is no way this happened.  The servers at the restaurant act like family members - either your  mom, brother, cousin, crazy uncle, whatever.  Most are over-the-top in their silliness and command their new "family members" to eat their veggies and make them set the table.  It's a completely fun, jovial environment and what you describe would be completely amiss in this setting. Once when we had an African-American server, she even joked that she was from the more tanned side of the family. 

Also, meals at Cinderella's Castle are not cheap, but they are nowhere near $150 per plate - more like $50.  I question if you have ever ven been there because your recollections are way off.

+1

I highly doubt they have been either.  I've been to Primetime myself numerous times and there is no way that would have ever happened.  I have been ribbed about eating my vegetables and keeping my elbows off the table, but nothing like what was described.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9305 on: July 16, 2015, 12:08:10 PM »
One of my gauges is that when I buy a 'bottomless' beverage, that I never see the bottom of that cup before my plate is clear.  I can remember exactly 2 times that a server did this one perfectly, and that meal at the 50's diner was one of them.

Being a waitress is a tough job. I know some people that don't like it when a waitress keeps filling their bottomless mug because then they have to add sugar and cream to keep the balance up. Sometimes you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9306 on: July 16, 2015, 12:12:34 PM »

+1

I highly doubt they have been either.  I've been to Primetime myself numerous times and there is no way that would have ever happened.  I have been ribbed about eating my vegetables and keeping my elbows off the table, but nothing like what was described.

According to the following site, meal prices are as follows. "Entree range
Character breakfast, $58 adults, $36 children; character lunch, $60 adults, $38 children; character dinner, $73 adults, $43 children. Note: Prices increase during peak periods." I don't know how much the prices increase during peak periods, but if you include tax and tip it is possible to get closer to the $150/plate. And if it wasn't that far off, maybe their memory just rounded up a little.

http://touringplans.com/magic-kingdom/dining/cinderellas-royal-table

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9307 on: July 16, 2015, 12:15:43 PM »
One of my gauges is that when I buy a 'bottomless' beverage, that I never see the bottom of that cup before my plate is clear.  I can remember exactly 2 times that a server did this one perfectly, and that meal at the 50's diner was one of them.

Being a waitress is a tough job. I know some people that don't like it when a waitress keeps filling their bottomless mug because then they have to add sugar and cream to keep the balance up. Sometimes you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I now always ask servers to not refill my tea until I am done for this reason.

Which reminded me of an experience I had at outback drinking iced tea.  I probably got 4-5 refills over the course of the meal. EVERY time a server (different one each time, just whomever walked by with tea, I guess) would walk by, they'd fill up my tea, and then my Dad's.  Except my Dad wasn't drinking tea.  He was drinking a beer that was basically the same color.  So he'd have to flag someone down to replace his beer.

It was a pain, but it worked out well for him, because each time he got a new full beer, and he had already finished half of it when the "refill" came.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9308 on: July 16, 2015, 12:18:40 PM »

I now always ask servers to not refill my tea until I am done for this reason.

Which reminded me of an experience I had at outback drinking iced tea.  I probably got 4-5 refills over the course of the meal. EVERY time a server (different one each time, just whomever walked by with tea, I guess) would walk by, they'd fill up my tea, and then my Dad's.  Except my Dad wasn't drinking tea.  He was drinking a beer that was basically the same color.  So he'd have to flag someone down to replace his beer.

It was a pain, but it worked out well for him, because each time he got a new full beer, and he had already finished half of it when the "refill" came.

Sounds like a win.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #9309 on: July 16, 2015, 02:14:14 PM »
I've done the bring from home math vs. the eat out.  Seems like a lot of people discount the fact that food brought from home cost $$ too.  I find on a $6 eat out, I pay about $3 to replicate from home.

Now, if you are eating a few carrot sticks and a piece of cheese I understand.  Curious about the comparison...
I can (and usually do) eat for less than a dollar. I try to stay stocked in frozen leftovers to avoid processed food. My most recent example is chicken stir fry and grilled asparagus over rice that cost about $10 in total and produced 7 servings, for a per-meal price of $1.42. My regular standby, tricolor rotini or penne ($1) in marinara ($1) with a small amount of turkey sausage ($2) and various veggies ($2-3) is even cheaper per serving. As backup, I stash store-brand soups and Spaghettio knockoffs that run from $0.69 to $0.99, or occasionally Cup-o-Noodles ($0.50). High in salt but OK for occasional use.

$6 is the low end for our cafe'; the full meal deal is $9. Take that over 2,500 workdays + a decade of investment returns and there you go.

I still buy breakfast occasionally, since I can get a pretty decent protein dose (eggs+bacon/sausage) for under $3, but I'm sticking more to oatmeal and frozen turkey sausage lately to keep the per-meal cost at $0.20-$0.40.
Today's tally:
               Me      CW
Breakfast  $0      $4
Lunch       $0.69 $14

Should I tell him I'm keeping score? >.<

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9310 on: July 16, 2015, 02:16:23 PM »
Today's tally:
               Me      CW
Breakfast  $0      $4
Lunch       $0.69 $14

After a month, then make up something really cool you bought with the difference.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9311 on: July 16, 2015, 02:19:53 PM »
Today's tally:
               Me      CW
Breakfast  $0      $4
Lunch       $0.69 $14

After a month, then make up something really cool you bought with the difference.

Or instead, tell him he could have "x" if he did what you do?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9312 on: July 16, 2015, 02:20:03 PM »
Today's tally:
               Me      CW
Breakfast  $0      $4
Lunch       $0.69 $14

When you buy everything on credit, does that tactic work? I'm trying to remember.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9313 on: July 16, 2015, 02:24:53 PM »
Today's tally:
               Me      CW
Breakfast  $0      $4
Lunch       $0.69 $14

When you buy everything on credit, does that tactic work? I'm trying to remember.

There are still limits to credit. If you make him start thinking in terms of choosing x or y, it might be step one to start questioning stuff.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9314 on: July 16, 2015, 02:27:32 PM »
There are still limits to credit. If you make him start thinking in terms of choosing x or y, it might be step one to start questioning stuff.

Agreed, one of the early things I read when I was first looking into how to get out of debt was something like 'you can't afford everything you want, but you can afford anything you want', which made me really change how I looked at money and it being a finite but useful resource.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9315 on: July 16, 2015, 03:10:03 PM »
Today's tally:
               Me      CW
Breakfast  $0      $4
Lunch       $0.69 $14

In my experience, it's not worth it. I had a co-worker just like this example. Showed him how much he could have saved. Got egg on my face. He told me I wasn't a happy person because I save too much and don't enjoy it. I kept my mouth shut, didn't want my co-workers to know that I have several residential income-generating properties.

Or instead, tell him he could have "x" if he did what you do?

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9316 on: July 16, 2015, 04:47:33 PM »
If you are a government - yes

Spiffsome

• Stubble
« Reply #9317 on: July 16, 2015, 06:18:22 PM »
In my experience, it's not worth it. I had a co-worker just like this example. Showed him how much he could have saved. Got egg on my face. He told me I wasn't a happy person because I save too much and don't enjoy it. I kept my mouth shut, didn't want my co-workers to know that I have several residential income-generating properties.

Mocking your coworkers' spending habits is free entertainment and therefore Mustachian.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9318 on: July 16, 2015, 08:33:58 PM »
If you are a government - yes
So, just to clarify, you are saying that "if you are a government" (which is a funny concept, one person being a government) then someone showing you what you could have bought with the money you wasted is likely to change your spending habits.

Either that or it's just Tea Party troll week at MMM and you meant to imply the opposite, which seems even more likely in context.

antarestar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9319 on: July 17, 2015, 06:51:05 AM »

Mocking your coworkers' spending habits is free entertainment and therefore Mustachian.

+1

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9320 on: July 17, 2015, 07:16:48 AM »

Completely agree. But trying to get my point across the deep chasm into the minds of the ignorant and stupid is an exercise in futility. As me pappy says: Arguing with a fool makes one look stupid. Live and let them wallow in debt.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9321 on: July 17, 2015, 08:03:26 AM »
Wasn't entirely sure if this belonged here, but...

CW1: What are you going to be doing, then? Have you got another job?
CW 2 who is moving to another city 75 miles away for his wife's work: No, there's not much in [field] over there. I'll be coming back here two days a week and then looking after y son for te rest of the time.
Me: That's nice, some time off to be with your son.
Thinking: a two hour commute every day? So far so crazy.
CW 2: Yeah, you don't get this time back when they're young. And it's not like I'm working in a coal mine or anything physical. I can always work longer at the end to catch up. I'll be fit to work until I'm at least seventy.

WHAT THE FUCK? This guy earns £80,000 a year and his wife is an engineer for [Big Car Company]. I mean, it's great that he feels comfortable taking time off work (um, except the eight hours he will spend in a car in two days so that he can work for sixteen hours...) but WHY would he then need to work past retirement age to 'catch up'? Catch up on WHAT? He and his wife already earn a TON of money. I hope he's just smoke screening so people don't pry, but this epic commute makes me suspicious.

K-Dogg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9322 on: July 17, 2015, 10:25:38 AM »
My work busses most of the employees in from the surrounding region. Anyways, I was at the bus stop last week and two guys in front of me were talking:

CW1: I just sold my truck so I'll be looking for a new vehicle soon.
CW2: Ya, there's lots of good deals out now.
CW1: I'm 60 now so I just applied for CPP (Canadian Pension Plan) and it'll be $800/month so I'm gonna look for a car that is a year or two old.

CW1 is going to a job that probably pays close to 100k/year and is 60 years old! That how he's getting his Canadian pension early. So he's going to continue working so he can afford a one year old car that his pension will pay for! Facepalm.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9323 on: July 17, 2015, 10:58:40 AM »

CW 2 who is moving to another city 75 miles away for his wife's work: No, there's not much in [field] over there. I'll be coming back here two days a week and then looking after y son for te rest of the time.
CW 2: Yeah, you don't get this time back when they're young. And it's not like I'm working in a coal mine or anything physical. I can always work longer at the end to catch up. I'll be fit to work until I'm at least seventy.

WHAT THE FUCK? This guy earns £80,000 a year and his wife is an engineer for [Big Car Company]. I mean, it's great that he feels comfortable taking time off work (um, except the eight hours he will spend in a car in two days so that he can work for sixteen hours...) but WHY would he then need to work past retirement age to 'catch up'? Catch up on WHAT? He and his wife already earn a TON of money. I hope he's just smoke screening so people don't pry, but this epic commute makes me suspicious.
Maybe he'll just drive in one day, couch surf one day, drive back the next night?

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #9324 on: July 17, 2015, 11:05:31 AM »
My work busses most of the employees in from the surrounding region. Anyways, I was at the bus stop last week and two guys in front of me were talking:

CW1: I'm 60 now so I just applied for CPP (Canadian Pension Plan) and it'll be $800/month so I'm gonna look for a car that is a year or two old.

CW1 is going to a job that probably pays close to 100k/year and is 60 years old! That how he's getting his Canadian pension early. So he's going to continue working so he can afford a one year old car that his pension will pay for! Facepalm.

Assuming he is realitively healthy , taking his CPP pension at 60 while making 100K is a huge mistake.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9325 on: July 17, 2015, 11:19:16 AM »
CW 1: My phone's dead/can't find my phone (something along those lines)
CW 2: Sounds like it's time to upgrade your phone!
CW 1, 2, and 3 laugh together.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9326 on: July 17, 2015, 12:06:52 PM »

Maybe he'll just drive in one day, couch surf one day, drive back the next night?

But what FOR?? He has a one year old son. Why would he only see him 5/7 of the time? Or just get a job in [town]. Trust me, it's not so specialised that it's a one-town job. He might well take a pay cut as he has a pretty sweet deal here, but eight hours of driving/four hours of driving and one night away is surely equivalent to a life cut...!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 12:09:07 PM by shelivesthedream »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9327 on: July 17, 2015, 01:28:22 PM »

But what FOR?? He has a one year old son. Why would he only see him 5/7 of the time? Or just get a job in [town]. Trust me, it's not so specialised that it's a one-town job. He might well take a pay cut as he has a pretty sweet deal here, but eight hours of driving/four hours of driving and one night away is surely equivalent to a life cut...!
Well, sure.  But I don't have the details. I mean, I work for a company where we have several commuters.
One guy literally flies in every day.  And flies home every night.  And this is cheaper than renting an apartment.
One person drives the 6 hours down Monday morning, rents a room in a house (doesn't have kitchen privileges, doesn't keep anything there, I think the landlord does AirBNB on the room on the weekend), drives home every Friday.

Many people here drive several hours every weekend.

Some people drive 70 miles one way, every day.

I don't understand it - but the job market isn't too hot, so maybe they've done the cost/benefit analysis?

One of my coworkers told me that I could probably make $50k more if I got a job in the Bay Area (I think that's being conservative).  "But I have kids!" I say.  He said - that's fine, just work there Mon/Fri and come home on the weekends, your son is old enough, you can do it.

Um, my kids are 9 and 3, are you effing CRAZY??  Only see them on the weekend?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9328 on: July 17, 2015, 02:19:02 PM »
Well, sure.  But I don't have the details. I mean, I work for a company where we have several commuters.
One guy literally flies in every day.  And flies home every night.  And this is cheaper than renting an apartment.
One of my coworkers told me that I could probably make $50k more if I got a job in the Bay Area (I think that's being conservative).  "But I have kids!" I say.  He said - that's fine, just work there Mon/Fri and come home on the weekends, your son is old enough, you can do it.

Please tell me that guy owns his own airplane.  That's the only way it would be cheaper to fly.

I had an assignment a few years ago that required commuting every week from Houston to LA for about 4 months.  Flew out on Monday, flew back Thursday or Friday.  Had young kids at the time.  Wasn't fun.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9329 on: July 17, 2015, 02:38:10 PM »
My husband flies every day to work and back. He leaves home at 8 and is back before 6 pm. His company owns the flights and his flying time is 40 minutes one way. Driving would be 2.5 hours one way. We chose this because of my work and lesser options at his work area.
His commute is similar to any other place he'd be at (30-50 minutes by car) and he'd be paying for fuel and car wear and tear. Now he bikes to the airport. This works out way better than him working in the same city as me and commuting by car.

One added advantage: he has to leave work on time every day. He can't stay late unless it's absolutely necessary. Compared to my friends whose husbands come home late due to work, we'll take this commute option any day for this perk :)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 02:39:49 PM by cutenila »

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9330 on: July 17, 2015, 02:56:31 PM »

Assuming he is realitively healthy , taking his CPP pension at 60 while making 100K is a huge mistake.

The break even point for CPP is 76 if one starts collecting at 60. I wouldn't call it a "huge" mistake. You can be healthy today but no one knows how long they will live or what their health will be like in later years, and virtually no one will be healthier at 76 than they were at 60. For me, I'd rather have the money now than later...even if I'm alive at 76, I may not be in a position to enjoy the extra money.

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #9331 on: July 17, 2015, 03:45:35 PM »

The break even point for CPP is 76 if one starts collecting at 60. I wouldn't call it a "huge" mistake. You can be healthy today but no one knows how long they will live or what their health will be like in later years, and virtually no one will be healthier at 76 than they were at 60. For me, I'd rather have the money now than later...even if I'm alive at 76, I may not be in a position to enjoy the extra money.

Yes, but if you have $100K worth of other income, you are in the 26% federal tax bracket, while if you take it when you retire you will be in a much lower bracket.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9332 on: July 17, 2015, 04:39:43 PM »

Please tell me that guy owns his own airplane.  That's the only way it would be cheaper to fly.

I had an assignment a few years ago that required commuting every week from Houston to LA for about 4 months.  Flew out on Monday, flew back Thursday or Friday.  Had young kids at the time.  Wasn't fun.
Nope.  There's a group here that started a private travel club:

"Our Story
Meet Surf Air, the nation’s first private air travel club offering unlimited monthly flights. We provide our members—frequent regional business and leisure travelers—with a revolutionary, hassle-free flying experience that saves valuable time and money, all at an exceptional level of service. Operating executive Pilatus PC-12 aircraft, we fly to and from convenient airports in the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles Metro Area, Santa Barbara, Carlsbad/San Diego, Truckee/Lake Tahoe, and Las Vegas* with additional destinations to follow."

So, it's now about $1750 a month.  But he was one of the first members, so he's locked in at $1250/month.  One hour flight.  Many choices now for going back and forth. Cheaper than a one-bedroom apartment AND his wife is happier because he's home every night, instead of only on the weekends.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9333 on: July 17, 2015, 05:04:44 PM »

So, it's now about $1750 a month.  But he was one of the first members, so he's locked in at $1250/month.  One hour flight.  Many choices now for going back and forth. Cheaper than a one-bedroom apartment AND his wife is happier because he's home every night, instead of only on the weekends.

In my area of the country, $1250 per month will typically get you a 3 bedroom home in a quiet suburb.

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9334 on: July 17, 2015, 05:35:57 PM »

Yes, but if you have $100K worth of other income, you are in the 26% federal tax bracket, while if you take it when you retire you will be in a much lower bracket.

Good point.

That being said, if someone needs to take early CPP to buy a vehicle when they already earn $100k a year, the extra tax paid is the least of their problems.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9335 on: July 17, 2015, 05:47:26 PM »
Flying an hour each way in a personal plane... I would estimate that to be $100/day on the low end. At that point, $1250/month is legitimately cheaper. Ain't that something. Anyone got a better estimate? I'm going off my coworker's plane(s) which are something like 10-15 gph, so 20-30 gallons of fuel, plus about $10-20/hr maintenance costs, plus likely transportation to and from an air field on both ends as well as storage for the plane (and often a car, for the transportation to and from the airfield, possibly x2 if commuting.)

dunny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9336 on: July 18, 2015, 01:07:49 AM »
I have never understood those who get upset by the automatic credit limit increases. As others have said, my credit limit has no bearing on how much I spend. I am curious to hear the reasons of those who called to get their limits lowered again. Is it because of the impact to your credit score? Or maybe just the principle of a change being made to your account without you consent?
I have one card with a very low limit that I use for online purchases/bookings. I don't want the limit increased because I don't want to limit potential fraud.  When this card's limit is increased, I call to have it decreased.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9337 on: July 18, 2015, 01:27:01 AM »
I told my coworker who also has a newborn about the Prime Day diaper and wipes deal.

"Oh, we use Honest diapers. They aren't that expensive."

I looked them up. $80/month. Diapering my daughter costs less than half that.

What do diapers normally cost? I have no clue.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9338 on: July 18, 2015, 02:55:40 AM »
My husband flies every day to work and back. He leaves home at 8 and is back before 6 pm. His company owns the flights and his flying time is 40 minutes one way. Driving would be 2.5 hours one way. We chose this because of my work and lesser options at his work area.
His commute is similar to any other place he'd be at (30-50 minutes by car) and he'd be paying for fuel and car wear and tear. Now he bikes to the airport. This works out way better than him working in the same city as me and commuting by car.

One added advantage: he has to leave work on time every day. He can't stay late unless it's absolutely necessary. Compared to my friends whose husbands come home late due to work, we'll take this commute option any day for this perk :)
On the other ends of the world even Chinese try to emit less CO2. m(

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9339 on: July 18, 2015, 07:30:26 AM »

I moved to Europe for several years while I was dating a girl from here in the south on and off. She came to vacation with me in Europe and when she arrived she sounded to my ears like one of the TV Clampetts. I wondered what I sounded like at that point. Other people heard her strong southern accent too where I had never before noticed one. My sister, a friend and my parents came to visit during that time and everyone had an accent. It was hard not to laugh at them and I didn't want to make them subconscious. Finally told them. We had fun with it.

I love accents and those oddball little regional phrases we all have. It makes life interesting.

My wife tells me my accent gets stronger occasionally when I'm talking to someone here that is REALLY country. Guess I'm just trying hard to relate to my audience.

I love living here in the south. I like visiting all the other parts of the country but always love coming back home.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 07:56:50 AM by Joe Average »

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9340 on: July 18, 2015, 07:35:05 AM »
Painfully witnessed in person at work: some guy completely flunked his in-person interview for a technical lead position. There had been two separate phone screens before hand, where the person appeared very knowledgeable and competent, whereas this guy was rambling platitudes and offering no specifics whatsoever when prompted.

We are now thinking that this guy paid an experienced professional to take the phone screen for him, somehow hoping that he could BS his way through the rest of the interview process. This company operates in an industry where background checks are notoriously thorough, so I don't know how he could possibly think that he could get away with this. Mind blown.

Yep. Mind blown. We had a fellow interview for "welder" at a factory I worked at. He interviewed well but when the lead welder went back into the shop later that afternoon - this guy was back there trying to weld and WITHOUT A HELMET!!! Didn't seem to think there was any need for a helmet didn't seem to know what a helmet did for you except perhaps th sparks off of your face. Fired on the spot.

I assume everyone here knows what welding is. If not I recommend watching any of the You Tube videos from a user called "WeldingTips and Tricks".

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9341 on: July 18, 2015, 07:51:28 AM »

But if they are divorced and depending on who got custody - they might only see their kids on the weekends anyhow. For me that would be the worst part of being divorced - not getting to seemy kids morning and night 7 days a week. That said I'm working all weekend - one of those hand full of weekend where I have to do this.

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9342 on: July 18, 2015, 08:07:03 AM »
On the other ends of the world even Chinese try to emit less CO2. m(

Are you serious?

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9343 on: July 18, 2015, 02:23:28 PM »
Cloth isn't allowed in my building

How is cloth not allowed?

, but when I priced it out, I figured it would be about a wash for the first child and you'd start coming out ahead with your second and any subsequent children.

Yes, fitted cloth diapers only win with the second child, because they cost a whole lot more than you would expect.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9344 on: July 18, 2015, 02:29:31 PM »
Painfully witnessed in person at work: some guy completely flunked his in-person interview for a technical lead position. There had been two separate phone screens before hand, where the person appeared very knowledgeable and competent, whereas this guy was rambling platitudes and offering no specifics whatsoever when prompted.

We are now thinking that this guy paid an experienced professional to take the phone screen for him, somehow hoping that he could BS his way through the rest of the interview process. This company operates in an industry where background checks are notoriously thorough, so I don't know how he could possibly think that he could get away with this. Mind blown.

Yep. Mind blown. We had a fellow interview for "welder" at a factory I worked at. He interviewed well but when the lead welder went back into the shop later that afternoon - this guy was back there trying to weld and WITHOUT A HELMET!!! Didn't seem to think there was any need for a helmet didn't seem to know what a helmet did for you except perhaps th sparks off of your face. Fired on the spot.

I assume everyone here knows what welding is. If not I recommend watching any of the You Tube videos from a user called "WeldingTips and Tricks".

My mother was semi-famous in her ability to 'interview well'.  She would do one thing for a while, decide she wanted to do something completely different, and try to interview for the job.  This was before the Internet, so there wasn't really any searching for stuff online.  She once interviewed at a company for a welding position on a Friday.  She got the offer on the spot, starting on Monday.  Now, my dad was a true, "Jack of all Trades" and a master of several.  When she got home and told my dad at dinner, I literally heard him say, "Okay then, I have till Sunday night to teach you how to weld."  She had that job for 5 or 6 months, and they even offered her a lower management position, but she was already tired of the hot work; so she next got a job as a nurse at a retirement home.  She was never fired from any job, and her resume is a dozen pages long.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9345 on: July 18, 2015, 11:03:17 PM »

My mother was semi-famous in her ability to 'interview well'.  She would do one thing for a while, decide she wanted to do something completely different, and try to interview for the job.  This was before the Internet, so there wasn't really any searching for stuff online.  She once interviewed at a company for a welding position on a Friday.  She got the offer on the spot, starting on Monday.  Now, my dad was a true, "Jack of all Trades" and a master of several.  When she got home and told my dad at dinner, I literally heard him say, "Okay then, I have till Sunday night to teach you how to weld."  She had that job for 5 or 6 months, and they even offered her a lower management position, but she was already tired of the hot work; so she next got a job as a nurse at a retirement home.  She was never fired from any job, and her resume is a dozen pages long.

Your parents seem like fun people to learn from.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #9346 on: July 20, 2015, 08:00:02 AM »
I told my coworker who also has a newborn about the Prime Day diaper and wipes deal.

It varies. Preemie diapers are 45 cents each, which was so expensive that i resorted to just folding down newborn diapers for the first month of my daughter's life. When I was using newborn Pampers, they cost me about 22 cents each and I had no good alternative because they made the tiniest newborn diapers on the market.

If you go buy a full-priced "jumbo" of Pampers (one of the premium brands) at CVS it'll run you about $11 for 25 diapers and a single package of wipes runs you $3-4. My daughter uses about 250 diapers a month, but she also flips her lid if she's wet or dirty, so I change her more than average. Drugstore diapers bought at retail are about the most expensive way to diaper. Personally, I am for a penny and a half per wipe or less, and under 15 cents a diaper. That's pretty easy to manage without going nuts. I usually use Amazon's house brand of wipes, which they are constantly putting on sale, but I used some Pampers ones when they were closing those out too. Luvs (made by Pampers, it's their cheapie line) purchased via Amazon Mom by the case are the cheapest way to buy diapers retail normally. The Huggies Prime Day deal was very good, and I know some people do well couponing. I buy a lot of my diapers via the community list serv, because people will sell partial cases when their child outgrows the size.

It costs me about $35/month to keep my daughter in diapers and wipes, all told. Cloth isn't allowed in my building, but when I priced it out, I figured it would be about a wash for the first child and you'd start coming out ahead with your second and any subsequent children.

I buy a box of ~150 pampers from Sam's, runs about .22-27cents per diaper (depending on size).  Wipes - I tend to wait until there is a sale and buy 2-3 cases of wipes (each case is usually 8 packages of 150-200).  Last wipes sale was 3 cases from Target @ $15/each, plus $10 gift card back.  I guess a penny a wipe, but probably a bit less since I sale shop for those.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9347 on: July 20, 2015, 08:53:49 AM »

It varies. Preemie diapers are 45 cents each, which was so expensive that i resorted to just folding down newborn diapers for the first month of my daughter's life. When I was using newborn Pampers, they cost me about 22 cents each and I had no good alternative because they made the tiniest newborn diapers on the market.

If you go buy a full-priced "jumbo" of Pampers (one of the premium brands) at CVS it'll run you about $11 for 25 diapers and a single package of wipes runs you $3-4. My daughter uses about 250 diapers a month, but she also flips her lid if she's wet or dirty, so I change her more than average. Drugstore diapers bought at retail are about the most expensive way to diaper. Personally, I am for a penny and a half per wipe or less, and under 15 cents a diaper. That's pretty easy to manage without going nuts. I usually use Amazon's house brand of wipes, which they are constantly putting on sale, but I used some Pampers ones when they were closing those out too. Luvs (made by Pampers, it's their cheapie line) purchased via Amazon Mom by the case are the cheapest way to buy diapers retail normally. The Huggies Prime Day deal was very good, and I know some people do well couponing. I buy a lot of my diapers via the community list serv, because people will sell partial cases when their child outgrows the size.

It costs me about $35/month to keep my daughter in diapers and wipes, all told. Cloth isn't allowed in my building, but when I priced it out, I figured it would be about a wash for the first child and you'd start coming out ahead with your second and any subsequent children.

I buy a box of ~150 pampers from Sam's, runs about .22-27cents per diaper (depending on size).  Wipes - I tend to wait until there is a sale and buy 2-3 cases of wipes (each case is usually 8 packages of 150-200).  Last wipes sale was 3 cases from Target @ $15/each, plus $10 gift card back.  I guess a penny a wipe, but probably a bit less since I sale shop for those.

I thought diapers were about the most overstated cost thing in having a kid.  Bought a box at Sams every 3-6 weeks over the first 18 months of my daughter's life (goes down after that) and a box was ~$36. 

What was expensive was formula (my daughter was big, and we needed to supplement what my wife could produce) at ~$35 a can that last about a week (target brand, I think?) and daycare, which started at about $1500/mo and goes down from there (we're down to about ~$900-1k/mo), before the tax savings (writeoff and dependant care savings account).

klystomane

• Stubble
« Reply #9348 on: July 20, 2015, 09:47:38 AM »

Daughter has severe allergies so we've been going with the "natural" stuff. Tried cloth diapering but when the baby goes nuclear, we have no idea how to clean the diaper....

Honest Diapers and Waterwipes. After taxes...about 53cents/diaper and 7cents/wipe.

Minimum two wipes per shit, so 67 cents everytime she goes #2.

About 4 shits a day, and another 4 changes on top of that...so...$4.8/day in diapers+wipes....about $150/month.

FML.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9349 on: July 20, 2015, 09:56:49 AM »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!